Caught In Between

So…I just had a baby a couple of weeks ago and as much as I’d love to be one of those girls who is back in their skinny jeans a hot minute after giving birth…I’m just not.
Instead there are two problems at hand: 1. I do not want to wear my maternity jeans anymore.  I just feel like I’ve graduated past that, I’ve moved on! The day I got home from the hospital I packed them up and gave them to my freshly pregnant sister….and 2. I know I’ll be losing this weight before too long so I’m not dying to buy jeans that will only fit me for a short time. I’m a cheapskate like that.

So…Leggings. Baggy shirts. Cardigans. Baggy dresses.
I teamed up with Nordstrom to get myself outfitted because they always have the best quality Ts and Leggings without being super expensive.

(I should have gotten a shot of Nick taking this photo while wearing the baby in my Solly Baby Wrap. Turns out Will and Christian are excellent assistants:)

Layering Tank | Leggings | Cardigan | Shoes (Similar) | Lips Clinique Black Honey

Wanna hear something really weird? When I was pregnant I got a really mild form of the “pregnancy mask” which is basically melasma (dark spots on the skin) on the top of my cheeks, my forehead, and my nose. That isn’t the weird part, lots of ladies get it – it’s totally normal. The weird part is I didn’t realize I had it until AFTER I gave birth. I mean, I have been noticing it in videos and photos through the pregnancy but each and every time I just blamed myself. I kept thinking, why did I do my makeup so blotchy? or Did I just spray the tanner really unevenly? It wasn’t until I got home and didn’t touch my skin with makeup or tanner for a week that I actually realized what it was!
Anyway I generally just use IIID Foundation exclusively but it’s coverage on the cheeks is very light so I was glad to finally identify the problem so I could start my makeup routine with some light all over face foundation to even everything out. (My latest favorites for a sheer undercoat are the YSL Touche Éclat– It’s super sheer and makes your skin glow & Laura Mericer Tinted Moisture – One thing I had to learn with this is to use a light hand but when you do it’s gorgeous light coverage with a great kick of moisture.)

PS I have brown hair again….I know. I can never stay in one color for very long! I just get antsy!

September 25, 2014 at 3:50 am

You look beautiful 🙂 Congrats!
    Is your hair really growing that fast or do you have extensions? I am trying to grow mine but it is taking soooo long. I wish your family health and happiness 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Thank you! They are extensions! I wish my hair grew that fast! I wish you happiness right back:) <#

September 25, 2014 at 3:51 am

First off, if somebody logged onto your site for the first time today they would say what the heck is she talking about, she didn’t just have a baby. You look AMAZING!! Second off, those leggings are awesome. Third off, I would have loved to see the pic of your hubbs rocking the baby carrier.

September 25, 2014 at 3:51 pm

THank you so much you are so dang sweet! 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 3:57 am

Agreed – you look fantastic! I hope you are feeling as good as you look. I don’t know many people who can wear their hair dark and light, and look good either way. Kinda makes me want to dislike you 🙂 And THANK YOU for the post with your sister-in-law. I have three kids and work from home. I love the freedom of not having to get dressed to go to an office every day or put my kids in daycare. However, it also makes it too easy to stay in your pajamas all day and look like crap. I quick easy daily makeup routine is exactly what I needed, so thank you!

September 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm

thank you Megan and you are so welcome! Working from home with 3 kiddos must be quite a challenge, you’re incredible to take that on but I bet your little love having you around all day:)

September 25, 2014 at 4:00 am

You look amazing!!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    September 25, 2014 at 4:03 am

I <3 you!

September 25, 2014 at 4:06 am

U look incredible Cara! U wanna know my ridiculous trick for when I’m just a touch too chubby for my fav jeans .. It’s stupid but it works for when u just need an extra inch in ur waistband .. Throw a thick hair elastic over the button and thru the loop .. Gives just a little 🙂 saved my buying new jeans many times 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 4:20 am

you look beautiful. You should of saw pictures of me after each of 2 kids. I looked like a zombie. LOL

September 25, 2014 at 4:29 am

Cara – congrats on the sweet baby boy! You look fantastic & I am so thankful for these posts as I will be in the same boat come February :). On that note, it is very funny that you mention melasma today. After I had my daughter, I kept noticing that I basically had a mustache and people would continuously point out that “I have something on my face” (which is so much fun to tell them that it actually does not wipe off). So I went to the dermatologist and she informed me that it was melasma aka pregnancy mask. Which I thought was ironic considering I was no longer pregnant & did not have it when I was, but rather got it afterwards! I had my daughter almost two & a half years ago & I still have the mustache. I am pregnant again & I think it has gotten darker with this new surge of hormones – so needless to say I am very insecure about it. Keep in mind I have very short, blonde hair so everything on my face is really amplified – lol. Any suggestions to help cover the melasma in the upper lip area? I actually just saw something earlier that suggested salmon colored lip liner, then concealer on top. I figured that I’d give that a go, but thought I would check with you as well (as I love your blog & typically try any tutorial/products you put out there). Thanks!

September 26, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I have melasma above my lip and on my forehead….and I’ve never been pregnant! Mine’s likely from sun exposure, and hormones likely play a part as well(as per my dermatologist). I’ve had a lot of luck with the Bobbi Brown Corrector-the makeup artist recommended the shade “light peach” for my skin tone in particular (I have a medium skin tone)- peachy tones in general help to cover it up. It doesn’t require much and the little pot lasts FOREVER. Exfoliating helps as well (slightly)- I like the PMD personal microdermabrasion device. I know how self-conscious that makes you feel- the ladies at the Bobbi Brown counter have been a life-saver for me, AND of course a hat when I’m in the sun!! 🙂 Good luck!

September 25, 2014 at 4:36 am

I experienced melasma after my last pregnancy. Retin A cleared it up eventually. You look great. Congratulations!

September 25, 2014 at 4:44 am

You look beautiful! You don’t look like you have far to go to get into your stiletto jeans. I have melasma too, and use 8% hydroquinone pads that the dermatologist prescribed for me. The pads, along with Retin A and SPF 50 sunscreen, work well, but as soon as I go to the beach I know I have to start the process all over again as melasma is permanent in my case. I’ve used YSL Touch Eclat and you’re right, it does work great!

A tip about melasma: Using birth control pills with high exposure to sunlight can cause melasma. I first got melasma while on a cruise and taking prescription birth control pills. My skin was perfectly even and healthy one day and the next, after a day on the Caribbean by the pool, I had permanent patches on my cheeks 🙁

Also, laser treatments can cause melasma for some people. Research before having laser treatments as that is what caused mine to get much worse.

September 25, 2014 at 9:28 am

I second the Retin A and hydroquinone. I use the cream version instead of the pads and it also works well.

Heidi C
    September 25, 2014 at 4:52 am

Cara, holy moly you look fabulous! My “baby” is turning two in October, and I don’t have near the figure you do. Rock it, girl!

September 25, 2014 at 4:55 am

I love the details on those leggings. You are looking fabulous!

Heidi D.
    September 25, 2014 at 5:01 am

Cara, you look fantastic! Congrats, and yes, leggings are a Godsend during this stage:)

September 25, 2014 at 5:17 am

You look amazing! Have you ever heard of LuLaRoe? The most comfortable leggings EVER!! Check it out/. http://www.facebook.com/lularoebyerinmichelle

September 25, 2014 at 5:49 am

Yay! I think you look best with brown hair! So very beautiful:)

September 25, 2014 at 9:36 am

I agree – you’re a gorgeous brunette.

September 25, 2014 at 5:54 am

You look lovely! has anyone ever told you that you resemble Jessica Pare (Megan on Mad Men)? Except I think you’re prettier 😉

September 26, 2014 at 9:26 am

You totally do! Except a modern version with long wavy hair 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 6:04 am

You look great by the way! I had the “mask” BAD! Still trying to cope with it & probably will have to turn to a dermatologist to help. Question, does that cardy seem to run small? I normally am between a 7/8 but don’t want to get too big if need be.

September 25, 2014 at 6:27 am

You look gorgeous! You’re curvy without being too heavy and it’s amazing that you just had a baby and look so fabulous.

September 25, 2014 at 6:30 am

I had melasma too…only I wasn’t pregnant. I went to a dermatologist after trying everything to get rid of these dark splotches on my face and he told me it was caused by estrogen in my birth control. I switched pills and it instantly disappeared! I’m glad you’re talking about it here on the blog. I’ll probably be dealing with it again if I ever have kids.

September 25, 2014 at 6:43 am

You look amazing! Congratulations on the new baby! Enjoy!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    September 25, 2014 at 7:06 am

You look so amazing Cara! I love those pants on you! And I love your dark hair! Every time I see you with dark hair I want to dye mine dark again!!!

Manette Gutterman
    September 25, 2014 at 7:13 am

I wish I looked like that, if but even a day! Gorgeous!

Emerald Earrings
    September 25, 2014 at 7:21 am

I’ve said it before, but I love this hair color on you! But then again I may be a little partial to brunette 🙂 You look amazing!

September 25, 2014 at 7:28 am

You look amazing. I had my baby in July and I still have 15lbs too go.

September 25, 2014 at 7:36 am

Cara you look amazing! I was just wondering how tall you are? I’m looking at those leggings and I’m 5’9″ and pray they will look as good on me as on you!

Miranda Mataafa
    September 25, 2014 at 7:55 am

Congrats on your gorgeous baby and your gorgeous self! I’ve loved seeing some posts I’ve never seen before even though I’ve been following you for a couple of years, resurface over the last few days. Your unconventional love story hurt my heart and made it believe in so many good things at the same time. I wish you eternities of happiness with your guys and know that your outer beauty is only surpassed by the goodness of your soul.

September 25, 2014 at 8:03 am

How do you wear leggings with those darn pads post preggers? Or are you past that stage?

September 25, 2014 at 9:20 am

You are absolutely stunning! You definitely have a ‘new-momma glow’!

September 25, 2014 at 9:30 am

You look beautiful and I have to ask…do you dye your own hair or have it done? I love the color.

September 25, 2014 at 10:21 am

Congratulations on your sweet baby!

September 25, 2014 at 10:26 am

I didn’t realize I had melasma until after I had my baby too! I thought I looked awful in pictures but just thought it was a combo of bad makeup and pregnancy weight! 3 years later and I still can’t get rid of it! I would love for you to do whole post on melasma…. go into more detail about skincare, makeup etc specifically targeted for those pesky brown spots!

Amy F
    September 25, 2014 at 10:33 am

You look amazing! Hope you’re enjoying that bundle of joy.

September 25, 2014 at 11:54 am

Congrats! You look beautiful, the glow of having a new sweet baby boy combined with your natural beauty. Enjoy them, the time goes so fast. Mine is 24 and it seems yesterday he was Christian’s age!

September 25, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Umm, let’s see – $43 + $57 + $16 + $28 + $38 + $48 = $230.00
    Affordable? I can buy at least 4 pairs of leggings, 4 baggy tops & 2 cardigans for that much at other stores. I can artfully apply the cosmetics I already have and save a lot of cash too. That’s realistic.

September 25, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Touchy, touchy. You know I used to feel like some of my friends were ridiculous for shopping at certain stores. Until you realize that depending on the item, many times the more expensive pieces will last 5 times as long at only double the price. Same goes for makeup. I don’t “run out and buy” every expensive piece of make-up featured, but there is a difference between good foundation and cheap foundation. Not to mention being able to try before you buy, unlike drugstore make-up. Other items (like blush or eyeliner or something) you can totally go the frugal route. But hey, she’s not running a frugal blog anyway. She’s running a beauty blog. There are hundreds of frugal beauty blogs out there to choose from.

September 25, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Verbatim quote regarding the purpose of these “tips” : ” I know I’ll be losing this weight before too long so I’m not dying to buy jeans that will only fit me for a short time. I’m a cheapskate like that.” This WAS supposed to be completely about how to “go the frugal route” – your words there.

September 26, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Her saying “I’m a cheapskate like that” is completely different from naming the post “how to transition into post-partum fashion frugally”. Not to mention leggings can be worn even after you lose weight, not jeans two sizes too big.

September 25, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I normally love your blog. I have been a faithful follower for years, you changed the way I ever wore makeup for the good. However, I felt really let down from this post.
    1. You just had a baby, cut yourself some slack, cut other women some slack. It saddens me you are promoting an unhealthy body image to women everywhere. I feel like this totally contradicts your motto to try to show women they are beautiful for who they are.
    2. Your blog has turned into an advertisement. I miss the totally you, un-sponsored posts.
    3. Nordstrom’s for most women is not affordable.

This may not be a big deal to you but I don’t think I am going to follow your blog anymore.

September 25, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I have melasma bad on my cheeks. It’s baaaaad. My daughter told me once my face looked dirty.:0(. Hope yours isn’t like mine.

September 25, 2014 at 6:14 pm

You know, I was 60 lbs overweight after I gave birth, and felt pretty bad about myself. I hated those posts on fb of these girls gleefully showing pics of themselves on day “5” back in their jeans etc. But this post is totally different. You can see from the photo that she is wearing loose clothing, you can’t see what size she is. You can tell that she’s is a little curvier than her normal slim self. Sooo… what is your problem? You’re acting as if she posted a selfie in skinny jeans and a tight t-shirt? She is showing what options you have to feel comfortable in when you don’t feel like yourself. I for one found it helpful because I just hid in my house after I had my son, I wish I had bothered to look up some style tips like this one so I could have felt prettier post-partum.

September 25, 2014 at 7:29 pm

These are not style tips. These are ads. She’s the hawker. You’re the buyer. Accept it for what it is. If that’s okay with you – keep reading and keep spending. Sounds. like a win/win.

September 26, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Of course its ok with me. I’ve completely tranformed the way I do my make-up because of finding this blog, and buying some of the products she recommends. I can’t even tell you the number of compliments I’ve received since doing my makeup differently. And, since I work hard at my job, and make decent money doing it, I like to spend money on myself now and again. And pretty sure this isn’t a “volunteer blog” for Cara, this is her job, girl’s gotta eat. Sooo….

• Gillian
            September 26, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Posted by Cara in August,2013:

“You may have noticed earlier this week I added a “Shop” button up on my menu. Here’s why: I am a member of RewardStyle, which is how I get commission from things I recommend that you guys buy if you buy it from my link…”

Yeah, gotta eat, even if it means pretending to love, love, love products she gets free plus gets commissions on in exchange for a plug in her blog. I work hard too and earn enough to afford whatever I fancy, but I resent being lied to and played for a sucker by a blogger who’s in it for the dough not because she’s a “lover of all beautiful things” like she claims in her bio.

September 25, 2014 at 7:24 pm

You are spot on with all three of your points – especially #2. It’s all about, “Today I’m teaming up with the folks at Nordstrom’s (or Target, or Victoria’s Secret, or Allure, etc. )….

Philly // Together in Italy
    September 25, 2014 at 4:39 pm

You look beautiful! And it’s so funny to hear about Nick trying to juggle the kids and take pictures of you 😉

September 25, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Cara, I hope your melasma goes away. My daughter just turned 3 and I still have it. I’ve finally turned to skin bleaching creams (prescribed by my dermatologist) to help get rid of it. It’s a very frustrating side effect of pregnancy. But the babies are so worth it. Congrats again on your new miracle.

September 26, 2014 at 12:55 am

I also got melasma after my son was born, unfortunately it is on my upper lip. There is nothing I can do to make it go away. I have tried skin bleaching creams etc. I cant go in the sun, because it will make it darker, no matter how much sunscreen I put on it. All I can do is cover it up. The best thing I have found is Este Lauder full coverage foundation. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate them. Congratulations on your new baby!

September 26, 2014 at 3:12 am

Congrats on your expanded family! It’s so exciting! I too got melasma after my second pregnancy. It wasn’t there until after my son was born. And it started on just my cheeks. 4 years later and it has spread to my nose, forehead, and upper lip. I have tried EVERYTHING touted to treat it. I have tried EVERY concealer and foundation. Nothing has worked. And it only gets darker. I wear a physical sunscreen every day, rain or shine. Just last week I finished recovering from a VI Peel. It has definitely lightened, but I am sure it will take one or two more before I see significant results. I am crossing my fingers. I feel the pain of all you beautiful ladies out there suffering with this melasma!

September 26, 2014 at 5:51 am

Congrats Cara! You look beautiful as always, and I just love your blog 🙂
    When I read this post and saw your comment about melasma, it instantly made me feel like there might be hope that you would post some tips/tricks for those of us dealing with melasma too.
    I just turned 26 and have been dealing with melasma since I was 21. Over time, I’ve thankfully gotten it under control after changing some skin care & diet habits and seeing a skin specialist, but I’m always looking for new ways to conceal my melasma and hear stories from other women on what has worked for them. It’s such a tough thing to go through whether pregnant or not, and I feel like it’s an under-addressed issue that should be talked about more so all of us who are dealing with it can help and support each other! I would absolutely love for you to do a post on melasma if it’s something you’d consider sharing more on!

September 26, 2014 at 7:51 am

Congrats again, Cara! You look amazing!!

Another melasma sufferer here! And I do feel like we kind of suffer because my self-esteem takes a serious beating from this. I’m grateful it’s not a serious problem and largely cosmetic, but it totally affects my confidence. I’m so self-conscious about it. It’s right on the face and it just cannot be concealed no matter what. Mine is not pregnancy related, and while it’s generally pretty light in color, it’s still all over my face so that my whole skintone looks blotchy and uneven, and the darkest part is the dreaded upper lip ‘mustache’ area, of course. It’s awful to be a woman and have basically a permanent mustache of pigmentation. I avoid the sun like the plague. It darkens nearly immediately. And NOTHING seems to work to lighten or conceal. Nothing! Melasma can be a complete nightmare! Please share anything that’s work to cover or rid of it.

September 26, 2014 at 10:12 am

I think you look fabulous and I hope I look that good after I have a baby! Adorable outfit, and I love the hair change. It makes you look young and fresh 😀

September 26, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Congrats on your sweet little man!! Let me know what works for you with prego mask. In fact… Do i feel a “blotchy women unite” blog post comin on?! 🙂

Angela C
    September 26, 2014 at 3:46 pm

You look beautiful and so happy. Enjoy this special time with your family!

September 27, 2014 at 10:15 pm

You are just lovely and you certainly do not look like you just had a baby. You just look happy!

September 28, 2014 at 1:41 am

I see the glow… but no after baby bump! You have an amazing body. Thanks for sharing your talents with everyone!

September 28, 2014 at 3:31 pm

You look so pretty, I love the color combo!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

September 29, 2014 at 7:11 am

You look beautiful!!

Those babypounds are there for a reason! It’s an extra energybuffer so you can give your baby a healthy start in his life (meaning breatsfeeding). You are NOT supposed to lose the babyweight just like that. Ignore all the articles of “hot moms” losing the babyweight in a blink of an eye. It’s NOT natural, and NOT what womens bodies are designed for. I know you stribe to have a healthy body image, but please don’t put yourself down because of the little extra weight. Many women think that their bodies are “done” making a baby after they have giving birth, but that is not true. The extra babyweight is for your beautiful litle boy… 🙂 And if you don’t breastfeed, the extra pounds are still there for a reason, giving YOU extra energy for meeting the baby’s needs in all hours of the day/night 😉

Congratulations from Norway 🙂

September 30, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Congratulations!!! you look amazing and i have to tell you that in fact these extra pounds make your face sweeter!!! anyways, i hope to be like you once i have my baby, you always look beautiful Cara, with or without makeup, thin or with extra baby pounds!!!
    Take care, i wish you the best for you and your family,
    xxx Bea

October 23, 2014 at 10:44 am

You look beautiful! I know the feeling of being completely sick of the maternity clothes. Just wish I had thought to dress in such cute comfy outfits like these instead of yoga pants and sweatshirts for my entire maternity leave 😉