Beauty Basics Makeup

Beauty at any age

It’s not that she’s particularly concerned about it or mentions it much but if you asked my mom if she thinks she’s pretty she’d probably say something like “Oh, no. Not really, I’m just old.”
For her those two things are mutually exclusive.
Which is actually quite ridiculous and I’ll show you why.

Beautiful at any age.

I would argue that at 60 years old and having given birth to 9 children she is more beautiful today than she ever has been.
Look at her eyes. There are no short cuts to getting eyes like that. I imagine it took thousands of tears to polish them enough to sparkle so softly and sweetly.
You can’t see it in the photo but she has the most beautiful voice. That voice took millions of sweet words, hundreds of lullabies and …only one or two “CARALYN BROOK!!”s to become as smooth and warm as it is.
Her smile. How many happy moments and completely hilarious jokes did it take to leave those gorgeous smile impressions around her mouth? They linger after each smile as if her face remembers too many joyful moments for them to be fully erased.

I used to be so petrified of getting older. So afraid of wrinkles or pregnancy weight or for my hair to turn gray, but not any more. I know that if every year I give all I have to give, laugh as much as I can, treat every new experience as an adventure and every new person as a chance to love and care for someone than I will be more beautiful at 102 than I was at 22.
I can’t wait for the chance.

My mom is beautiful with or without makeup but we have found there are makeup tricks that make her feel her prettiest and it is only natural that as your skin and face change your makeup routine should evolve as well.
these are some awesome tips for ageless beauty
So here are some of my favorite findings:

No more big pores!

Honestly, I don’t know if I would believe this if I hadn’t taken the photo myself. The difference is pretty dang impressive. This silky stuff creates a smooth surface for applying makeup and that includes filling pores.

Instant Facelift!

Filled with Anastasia Brow Powder Duo Ebony

As we grow older often times those eyebrows start to migrate and they drag your eye and your expressions down with it!
My advice for this might seem a little radical but I think it’s by far the best option. ( I added the falling brows to this photo because we got rid of my mom’s a few years ago)

1. Locate your brow bone by feeling for it above your eye socket. Your brow bone is a rough guide to where your brows should be.

2. Wax or tweeze all the hair below your natural brow (brow bone) Even if that means you will only have half of your brow.

3. With an angled brush and some brown shadow fill in the arch by drawing in your brow above the ridge of your brow bone.

(Find a more thorough tutorial on filling in your brows here)

Amazing foundation!
NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in Stromboli

I always try to find the least expensive products I can but when it comes to foundation I get a little less stressed about price and more concerned with performance.
You wear it every day and only have to replace it 2 or 3 times a year! It is TOTALLY worth a splurge. I actually found this foundation on accident when I was testing swatches on my hand for color I grabbed this (cause it was the closest thing to me at Sephora) and rubbed it into my hand, I had to double take. Usually when I rub products on my hand the lines in my skin become exaggerated. When I rubbed this on it smoothed out my skin and made such a smooth creamy finish I was flabbergasted! I snagged a sample of it and have been in love ever since. Plus it has good yellow undertones which I prefer on most skin.

I am working on a post right now on how to get the sheerest most natural application, so check back this week for that as well.

blush & bronzer
Urban Decay Baked Bronzer or my *NEW* favorite Too Faced Milk Chocolate
Argan Infinity Lip & Cheek Tint in Boundless Berry
When I do my mom’s makeup I can’t tell you the difference it makes when I brush on the blush and bronzer.
It brings so much energy and warmth to her face. As scary as a highly saturated blush may seem they really look beautiful when mixed with the skin.

beauty at any age

I used Sephora Lip Gloss in Fuchsia Mania

I hope this helps!
Have a marvelous Monday you are dazzling,

September 18, 2014 at 10:57 pm

You look so much like your mom! This is stunning!

Dubliner in Deutschland
    September 18, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Aw, lovely. And your Mum is so pretty! And I would have guessed much younger than 60.

September 18, 2014 at 11:48 pm

This post was so sweet. What an amazing daughter you are. Your words were beautiful gifts to your mom. May we all hear such incredible sentiments from our daughters. Thank you

September 19, 2014 at 12:02 am

Wow, your mom looks absolutely amazing!!!
    However, please watch the YT video by gossmakeupartist “DO NOT APPLY BLUSHER TO THE APPLES OF THE CHEEKS!!!!” – it makes so much sense, especially for older people!

September 19, 2014 at 1:25 am

Dear Cara,

Ever since I first saw your makeover that you did for your mom all I can think is that I wanna do the same for my mother. I believe she would be thrilled.

You mom looks absolutely gorgeous, by the way!

September 19, 2014 at 1:27 am

WOW! Your Mom looks amazing! You brought out her inner beauty. This gives me hope!

Erin @ One Particular Kitchen
    September 19, 2014 at 1:54 am

Your mom is so beautiful!!

September 19, 2014 at 2:15 am

OMG, reason number ten million of why I love your blog. I am 20 years old and I have found interesting things in every post, even the ones that wouldn’t typically pertain to me.
    The NARS foundation is my absolute favorite! I bought it a year ago and have continued to buy it ever since, no changing it up! But it is so thick and I have tried a million different things (it feels like) of how to get a more sheer application, as you were talking about! What has worked best for to this point is to mix some face lotion and foundation on a small plate before applying it. So I’m interested in what you have to say and what techniques you use!

Also, your mom is stunning! I loved this post, you’re so right about the sparking eyes and smile lines.. I’ll have to share this with my mom! 🙂

September 19, 2014 at 2:27 am

A beautiful post in honor of your beautiful mom!

September 19, 2014 at 2:44 am

I am 47…I have large pores too. I use some products that work really well too. 1) elf Mineral Face Primer all over my entire face including eyelids, under eyes, and under chin. Then I apply a sheer layer of foundation. 2) on TOP of my foundation I apply NYX Pore Filler in small amounts to specific targets such as my eyelids, chin, t zone.. I get compliments on my complexion all the time! In actually it starts out looking much like your sweet Mom pre-make up.

The combined cost of both of these products is under $10! Total score!

Thanks for this post. You have no idea how comforting it is to the over 30 crowd! ☺

Michelle H
    September 19, 2014 at 3:00 am

Your mom is so beautiful and I love your description of eyes, voice, and smile lines.

September 19, 2014 at 3:01 am

I thought that the eyeliner made a big difference but I didn’t see where you mentioned it.

September 19, 2014 at 3:03 am

Amazing post, thank you! Your mom truly is a beautiful woman. Make sure she sees all of these positive comments!

Carolyn Williams
    September 19, 2014 at 3:04 am

Thanks sooooo much for this one! Doing the same makeup on a 30something is so different than a 55+ gal! and this was very helpful.

September 19, 2014 at 3:09 am

This bodes very well for you, Cara, because you look just like her! What a gift for your mom to be able to read your beautiful words about her.

September 19, 2014 at 3:19 am

I have to say, I first started following your blog after you won the Allure beauty award. It is seriously inspiring! I have tried eye shadow tips and received dozens of compliments after… learned how to get perfect curls and had people say ‘I wish I had your hair’… and now I’m excited to try to HAC with your foundation. I’m a 47yo from Minnesota and there are so many ageless tricks that are appropriate for any age. Keep doing what you are doing, you have a gift!

September 19, 2014 at 3:28 am

I always appreciate and enjoy your postings AND especially today!! At 70 years young, I’m probably one of your “older” followers so today’s info is extra helpful! 🙂

September 19, 2014 at 3:47 am

She looks beautiful and with 9 kids! I need to try that Nars makeup. I recently wrote a post on “Breaking up with Botox.” – read here Mom’s like your’s inspire me.

September 19, 2014 at 4:03 am

This post made me tear up. Your mom is gorgeous. And I love your words here about moms. So, so sweet. And true!

September 19, 2014 at 4:30 am

Gorgeous!!!! Do my makeup?!

September 19, 2014 at 4:33 am

Your mother is stunning!

September 19, 2014 at 4:55 am

Your mom is beautiful! Now that NARS sheer glow has the MaskCara stamp of approval I might just have to grab a sample at Sephora tonight!

Trisia Callaway
    September 19, 2014 at 5:21 am

Beautiful mother!
    Loved your sweet comments.

Amanda F
    September 19, 2014 at 6:39 am

Beautiful post, Cara!

September 19, 2014 at 6:46 am

Now I see where you get your gorgeous looks from, great post!

September 19, 2014 at 6:53 am

what a beautiful love letter to your mother. tears tears tears! I hope my son speaks so lovingly of me one day. well done daughter. xoxo

September 19, 2014 at 7:07 am

I read your beautiful words and look and your mom’s beautiful face and i completely agree…yet when i look at my own face, all i see are the ravages of time. Maybe it’s because i’m not a mother? In any case, i wish we could ALL see ourselves through the eyes of someone who loves us.

Daisy @ Simplicity Relished
    September 19, 2014 at 7:11 am

I love the idea of growing older and more beautiful at the same time! Cara I love your posts about aging, I think you do them really, really well! Thanks so much.

Tracey Walker
    September 19, 2014 at 7:32 am

I’m 51, so I really appreciated this post. I’m re-embracing makeup and my biggest fear is that I’m making myself look older. Your ode to your Mom literally made me cry.

September 19, 2014 at 7:34 am

Your comments in the first paragraph about her eyes and smile were wonderful! I’m gonna use them – such a sweet perspective!

September 19, 2014 at 7:36 am

I read your blog every day but this is the first time I’ve posted. Your description of your mother and her time-enhanced beauty brought me to tears….what a beautiful woman she is, and what a wonderful perspective on aging you share with us. Women truly *are* beautiful at every age as they evolve and reflect the unique journey that is their life. Lovely post <3

September 19, 2014 at 8:43 am

No way does your mum look 60! She is absolutely beautiful and I can easily see the family resemblance. You have no need whatsoever to worry about getting and looking older because you’ll probably end up just as fabulous as your mum. I am 48 and this post is brilliant. Thank you so much. I’ll be checking out the Pore-fessional and the Nars foundation, for certain.

September 19, 2014 at 8:48 am

I’m having a tough time because I’m looking at 50 in a couple of years. Your post made me feel better about aging (and I’ll have to try the NARS foundation!). 🙂

September 19, 2014 at 9:46 am

What a beautiful mom you have! I’m 55 so I’m happy to see some tips for older women and love your sweet words.

September 19, 2014 at 10:55 am

what a beautiful post… it moved me a lot. Your mom is as beautiful as you, you two are very alike, pretty outside and inside. Thank you for the advices, very useful as always.

September 19, 2014 at 11:03 am

Holy connoli your mom is gorgeous!! I hope I look that good and happy as I mature.

Nancy Block
    September 19, 2014 at 1:41 pm

This woman is 60? Unbelievable. Now we know where you get your good looks.

September 19, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Love this! Your mom’s makeup looks beautiful and lovingly applied. 🙂

September 19, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Such a touching post! Your mom is just beautiful:)

September 19, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Oh, thank you! I’m 56 and really needed this post:) Your mom is so lovely!! What eye shadow and liner did you use? Running out tomorrow morning and purchasing all of the above:)

September 20, 2014 at 5:30 am

Your mother is lovely, Cara! I think she would be even prettier with lighter color hair like yours. As an older woman myself, I’ve found that going a shade lighter than my normal color with a few highlights gives a softer look.

September 20, 2014 at 8:44 am

Aw! I love the message of this post! The beauty industry puts so much emphasis on youth; this is a good reminder that aging gracefully – aging, in general – is beautiful too!

September 20, 2014 at 2:26 pm

That was the most beautiful introduction I have ever read!! Every woman should read this post at any age.

September 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

She’s so beautiful!

September 21, 2014 at 6:54 am

Loved this post! I was wondering, what is your favorite anti-age lotion/cream? I know sunscreen is key, but any specific products you like? I’m dying to know!

September 21, 2014 at 7:49 am

You are right. Your mom is very beautiful.

September 21, 2014 at 8:01 am

Your mom is absolutely stunning and you are totally twins!!

September 22, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Can you tell us what she used on her eyes

September 24, 2014 at 11:38 am

Beautiful! Would love if you could kdo a “mom” hairstyling post too!

September 26, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I never post but I just had to comment about your mom. She’s gorgeous and I can only hope that my now 17 & 18 year old daughters will some day have such kind words to say about me. Clearly she’s done something right 🙂

September 26, 2014 at 4:43 pm

So beautiful. I know of something you might also love. Nerium helps with pore size, fine lines, diminishes wrinkles, helps with sun damaged skin, helps with tone and texture. aatural and truly a breakthrough in ant-aging. I can get you a sample if you want to try. On average a 30% improvement in your skin. I love it! Makes my skin glow. Hope I look as great at your age.

Link I like #week 40 | Emma Martiny
    October 2, 2014 at 8:01 pm

[…] 4) Make-up til ældre kvinder […]

Cathy Paap
    October 25, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Cara, This segment with your mother has helped me. I am 66 yrs old, and now retired. Makeup, hair and fashion are things I have always enjoyed at work or in my garden. However, in the last 4 years my hair had gone from a dark blonde, with highlights, to white. I mean Marilyn Monroe white! It will not even hold color or low lights. My hairdresser had tried everything and it, my white hair, just will not absorb the color. Now, I’m ok with the color and am beginning to enjoy the compliments. My dilemma is that all my makeup is for blondes, and just doesn’t work for me anymore. I look washed out. Eyebrow color is my big problem! I’ve been using MAC from the lightest, to charcoal. Nothing seems to work…. The little eyebrows I have left are a light brown. My skin is fair with a yellow base.
    And also, the lines around my lips have become deeper and my lipstick runs up and down in the lines.
    Please help me out with a few “becoming older” makeup color tips and techniques?
    Thanks so much. Many kind regards,

Abigail J. Gillis
    November 7, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Hello there 🙂

May I ask a question about make-up application for maturing woman? For a woman about to turn 40, is it appropriate (and/or tasteful) to use a lighter hand and fewer products than before? Is everyone secretly chuckling about the painted trollop in the dairy aisle when I shop? (Tee hee)

My routine has not changed in 24 years and I’m quite clueless as to what is flattering! I just don’t feel “matronly” yet… but I’ve never felt compelled to comparison shop wrinkle creams either :-O My poor skin has been so sadly neglected.

Is there a happy medium between spinster and ingenue?

I hope I’ve done as great a job as your mother so I will such wonderful things about me from my baby. Very, very well done.