Hair Hair Products My Favorites Products

Hair products I can’t live without

Can't live with these babies!

For my latest installment from my Allure Insiders Hair Series I thought it might be nice to sit down and chat about a few of my can’t live without hair products and why I love them so much. As a blogger companies send me hordes of hair product all the time and I always give them a try but it really takes an amazing product to sway me from my tried and true favorites. I am also a total hair minimalist when it comes to product. There is a goo and a spray for things that have never even crossed my mind! I’ve found that (this might be partly because of my hair type – fine) if I use much product it might look good that one night but it will never last for the next day and 9 times out of 10 I’m looking for a shameful amount more longevity than that.
I didn’t want this video to be too long so I narrowed it down to the few on my mind that day but if you’d like  a full list of all of my hair favs check out The Prettilist

Products listed in the video:

L’Oréal Professionnel Fresh Dust
Wen
L’Oréal Professionnel Mythic Oil
Suave Macadamia Shampoo & Conditioner
Redken Blonde Conditioner
Suave Dry Shampoo
Oribe Beach Spray
The Wet Brush
T3 Single Pass Iron

signature

55 Comments

Jennifer
    September 10, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I love your videos Cara, but have to be honest about this one. Between the music, the echo, and how fast you are talking, it’s so hard to understand what you are saying. I had to turn it off about 2-3 minutes in. 🙁

Cara
      September 10, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Oh I’m so sorry! I’ll be sure to adjust the sound and talk slower next time! I had just moved into my house so the echo was because that room was virtually empty! Thanks for the feedback!

Jennifer
        September 10, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Cara, I think it’s so sweet that you respond to so many of your readers and so quickly!

Cara
          September 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Thanks so much Jennifer! It’s not always possible but it’s really important to me! 🙂

Katie
    September 10, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Great, informative video. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, especially about the purple toning shampoo. It is so hard to find one that will not dry your hair out like crazy, and I am eager to try the Redkin one now. Do you have any other toning methods for your hair? It would be lovely if you shared!

I really enjoy your blog, keep up the awesome posts =)

Cara
      September 10, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thank you so much Katie! Usually when I get my hair colored they find it with Redken shades products but honestly the best thing I’ve found is this conditioner. It seems like nothing lasts more than a few washes so it always comes down to what I’m doing when I wash it!

Andrea
    September 10, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Thanks for sharing your opinion! I’m a fine haired girl as well, so nice to get advice on products! Love your blog:)

Cara
      September 10, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Thanks so much gorgeous!!

jengentry
    September 10, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Cara, I have tried using the Wen Sweet Almond Mint and the Cucumber Aloe and both have made my hair feel really dry. I also have fine hair, and I wash it daily. Have you not experienced dry hair while using it? Any idea why I might? I have blonde, highlighted hair. Thanks!

Cara
      September 10, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Interesting that you say that! I’ve never tried the cucumber melon but I actually prefer the fig or some of the other choices to the almond mint. I felt like it was definitely less moisture than most of the others. Is it dry and brittle or just dry when you’ve tried it?

jengentry
        September 10, 2014 at 3:21 pm

It is just dry. Even after I blow dry it (and before the hair spray). I’ve been trying it for over 6 months and keep sticking with it because I remember the look you gave your mother when she said she wasn’t using it. 🙂 But it just isn’t working. Maybe I’ll give the fig a try then.

Cara
          September 10, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Try the Fig but not everything works the same for different hair! I love Wen but the last thing I would want is for you to pay those prices for something that isn’t moisturizing you enough! Have you tried the Loreal Inoa moisture mask? It’s sooooo jam packed with not residue moisture, you should definitely see if that quenches your hairs thirst:)

• jengentry
            September 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I have not. I have used the Loreal Intense Repair Masque. I will give the Inoa moisture mask a try. I’m sure my tresses will love it. 🙂

• Boni
            September 11, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Also consider the 613!

Abbie
    September 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I bought the suave dry shampoo recently because I was tired of paying so much for my favorite aveeno dry shampoo and it just doesn’t compare 🙁 I have dark brown hair and it’s impossible to get the white out and makes my roots feel gross. I’ve just been using it to spray throughout my hair to add a little texture and volume, which it does do nicely!

Sheena
      September 25, 2014 at 10:08 am

I bought the Suave shampoo and conditioner that is the pureology “equivalent” and it was terrible. My hair felt like straw afterward. I suddenly had a ton of breakage, and my hair was super dry. I had a feeling it wouldn’t be the same, and it totally wasn’t. Absolutely terrible!

Karen
    September 10, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Great video! Is it possible to buy the L’Oreal Fresh Dust in stores? At Target or something? I would prefer to actually see the product in stores before buying it if possible…

Cara
      September 10, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Totally get that! I think because it’s Loreal “professional” it’s harder to find in places like target. I think they try to sell exclusively to salons or salon superstores if you just search Loreal professional in your area it shouldn’t be too hard to find. Kind of annoying though I wish they’d just sell the stuff everywhere!

Karen
        September 11, 2014 at 7:49 am

Great, thank you! 🙂

Emily
    September 10, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Your lashes look amazing in this video!

Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog
    September 10, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Very excited about this video Cara! I feel the same way about hair products. My hair never seems to do what I want it to do, and never holds. Grrr.

Gaby
    September 10, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I tried Wen and unfortunately it caused lots of hair loss. My hair was shiny and soft, but after one month I stopped using it as it was falling off in clumps : (

Cara
      September 10, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Yeah I’m really glad you stopped! I don’t know why that has happened to some people it’s really nuts!

McCall
    September 10, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Have you done a video using any beach sprays? If not, will you?

meganmarie013
    September 10, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I actually haven’t tried any of these products. I have heard a lot about Wen but never have used it.

Jamie Gingerelli
    September 11, 2014 at 4:39 am

I love the suave dry shampoo too!

Jessica S.
    September 11, 2014 at 5:13 am

Cara, I have dark brown hair but it always pulls orange/brassy towards the ends. Would the Redken Blonde Conditioner/toner be alright for me to use?

Cara
      September 11, 2014 at 5:14 am

Definitely! It helps me in toning my dark hair as much as any of the highlights!

Jessica S.
        September 11, 2014 at 5:25 am

Great, thank you! I can’t wait to give it a try!

JNJxn
    September 11, 2014 at 5:27 am

You are awesome. Thanks for the video!

Laurie
    September 11, 2014 at 7:00 am

I could barely hear you – but so wanted to! – over the VERY distracting music. Please delete the soundtrack, it is a hindrance not a help.

Jami
    September 11, 2014 at 9:40 am

Cant wait to watch the video. I feel like I can’t ever get a style to last the entire day let alone two. Hopefully this video gives me some hints 🙂 Thanks!

Shauna
    September 11, 2014 at 10:29 am

Cara I love your blog, but any chance you have a section on products that you recommend that are not tested on animals? All of those big brands are some of the biggest culprits in cruel animal testing and I can’t see supporting them. I love all of your tutorials and would love some great recommendations! <3

Ashley H
    September 11, 2014 at 12:19 pm

You look stunning in this video! You have the pregnancy glow for sure. I love the suave dry shampoo, can’t wait to try some of these other products 🙂

jacqueline
    September 11, 2014 at 1:29 pm

The top you have on looks soo cute! Where did you get it!? Great video- do you feel the redken shampoo is more effective than your recommendation of using violet food dye? Debating making the investment if it’llbe the same results as using food coloring.

Krystal
    September 11, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Cara what shadow are you wearing?! It’s so simple and a beautiful everyday look!

Emily
    September 11, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Can you describe the order you put the products in your hair after the shower? I also have a lot of fine hair (also dry and naturally curly). I’m never quite sure to put in volumizer or oils or keratin spray etc and in what order and what part of my hair (roots or ends). Thank you!

Katie
    September 11, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Pregnancy looks SO good on you!

megan
    September 12, 2014 at 3:10 am

I have to agree, your lashes are great in this video. Really appreciate the product info and recommendations. I HAVE to ask, actually beg you to please tell me what colors you are using on your hair. Unfortunately since my third child my hair has so many grays that I can’t hide them anymore. The color of your hair and highlights are exactly what I want because it’s very close to my natural color. If you would share, I would greatly appreciate it!

Eli m
    September 12, 2014 at 6:29 am

I love all of these!!! Cara congratulations on your beautiful baby boy!!!! William is gorgeous!!!

Cait
    September 12, 2014 at 9:14 am

I love your hair, have you already done a tutorial on it? Also, I have to get the wet brush. I sent my daughter to school today with her hair unbrushed because she hates getting her hair brushed!

Cait
    September 12, 2014 at 9:16 am

Just saw that you had your baby. Congratulations!

Erin
    September 12, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Congrats on your baby boy. He is beautiful.

Marcie
    September 13, 2014 at 1:38 am

Congrats on the new baby! I love the wet brush it is perfect for my fine hair and my daughter who has crazy thick curly hair. I went out and bought the suave dry shampoo you featured here but eww its stinks like cheap grandma perfume, but it does work well 🙁

I’d hate to spend the money on the fresh dust if it doesn’t smell good either. Does anyone here have a recommendation on something similar that smells better?

I love your website, thanks for sharing all the great tips!!

Jennifer
      September 13, 2014 at 1:52 am

I’ve not used it myself, but have heard good things about the Batiste brand. They have multiple options to choose from as well. I’ve seen it at Ulta and maybe Walgreens too. We’ve not tried the Wet brush, but I got the Tangle Teaser for my daughter who has long, very thick hair and a super sensitive scalp and that thing works wonders for her.

melissadianeblog
    September 14, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I have been wanting to try Wen, but I workout 6 days a week and am DRENCHED afterwards. I wash my hair evey day. Will that be moisturizing? Or will it be a waste of money since it’s so expensive!

Katy K
    September 15, 2014 at 8:57 am

Love this post! Please check out my beauty blog, All in the Blush 🙂 http://www.allintheblush.com

marghew2
    September 15, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I have been using Wen for 8 months now and do love it but recently came across purely perfect conditioning cream from the creator of Bumble and Bumble. I’m interested to know if you have used it or heard how it compares to Wen!!

kellysparklesshoes
    September 15, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I will definitely have to try that toner, thank you so much for the recommendation and congratulations again on your new little boy!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Mallory
    September 17, 2014 at 7:01 pm

love love love your lashes and makeup…tutorial please!!!

Kim
    September 20, 2014 at 9:32 am

Thank you sooooo much for the recommendation on the wet brush!!! Just bought one three days ago and you are absolutely right it is the BEST brush ever. My 3 year old daughter loves it and says it doesn’t hurt at all when I brush her hair out after bathtime. And I have super thick fine hair and it gets all the tangles and knots out without any pain!! You are a lifesaver! Today we stopped by Target again because my daughter wanted to pick out her own. So now as my daughter would say, “Mommy has a pink one and I have a purple one!” I know it is only a hairbrush, but it is the best brush to come into our home!! You have saved us many tears. Thank you!! (And congratulations on your sweet baby!!!)

Hair Products You Can’t Live Without « makeuppeople.com
    September 20, 2014 at 6:13 pm

[…] Hair products I can’t live without | Maskcara – For my latest installment from my Allure Insiders Hair Series I thought it might be nice to sit down and chat about a few of my can’t live without hair products and why I love them so much. […]

Kristina
    September 25, 2014 at 4:02 am

Hi Cara, thanks for the great video! You look fab, it must be that pregnancy glow! How did you style in this video? I love that the curls are soft and not too defined, which is a problem I usually have. Also, can you recommend anything for the humidity?

Thanks!
    Kristina

shandi
    October 7, 2014 at 8:25 am

Have you ever tried monoi oil? It’s AMAZING!!! I have a LOT of fine hair, and other oils tend to build up (even after a clarifying rinse) and end up causing my hair to break; not to mention how careful I have to be with the amount–too little and it’s dry and frizzy, too much and it’s a grease-ball. But monoi (I prefer Sojurn or Carol’s Daughter) is a miracle and even if I think I’ve used too much, I haven’t! I usually put some in post blow dry and it’ll feel a little heavy and greasy for about an hour, but then it’s like buttah! Plus, I’ve heard tell it helps your hair grow faster. I would give up every other beauty product I use to keep this stuff.

Paige
    October 24, 2014 at 8:02 am

Hi Cara, I don’t know what post I saw it on but there is a pink blow dryer that you said cuts drying time in half. Can I get more info on what kind of blow dryer it is? Thanks