Beauty Basics Eyeshadow School Makeup Tips & Tricks

Eyeshadow School: The Deep Crease

I now present you THE DEEP CREASE.
I’ll be the first to say I’m NOT the first gal to do a pictorial for this shadow technique. It’s probably the most commonly talked about eyeshadow placement. I’ve even seen it called “the proper” way. And while I definitely do not agree that there is a proper way at all, I do think that this one deserves a place in our hearts and in our shadow school.  Cause it’s pretty  and it looks good on pretty much all humans.
DEEPCREASE

( ^ That’s my “mirror face” I’ve had it since I was a pre-teen. Pout the lips a bit – suck in the nose a bit – deer in the headlight eyes. Listen, I’m not proud of it but after all this time I’ve come to accept it as the person staring back from my in the mirror and in most of my selfies. And just for the record it was around long before I ever even saw Zoolander…although it is dangerously similar to Blue Steel.)

Shadows Photographed: Highlight: Nylon | Midi – Soft Brown | Deep – Smut

Brush is Dalton but it’s out of stock:( This IT Cosmetics one is actually my new favorite though and a perfect replacement! The dual ends make it literally the only brush you need to create any of the looks from all of the shadow techniques I’ve talked about.

Why I love it: It is SO versatile! Depending on the colors you use and the amount of layering it can be very subtle or totally dramatic

Pair it with: Heavy liner, soft liner or no liner. It looks great on all three.

Who it looks fabulous on: It’s pretty great on most eyes! The only thing I would say is if you have wide set eyes (meaning your eyes are far apart) I would drag the “v” all the way around your eye (instead of just the outer corners)  so it doesn’t create a wider illusion.

signature

PS The winner of the Wen giveaway was Alecia Ferrell! SO excited for you Alecia! You will love it! Check your email! Thank you to everyone who entered!
I’ll be updating that post with answers to all the new questions it inspired also today just in case you asked, be sure to check back this afternoon:)

67 Comments

Laarni
    September 9, 2014 at 12:33 am

Thank you for this quick tip!!! I love your mirror face!

Arielle
    September 9, 2014 at 12:44 am

Gorgeous! This is very helpful!!

Rosario
    September 9, 2014 at 1:08 am

I love the look! Which primer did you use?

jginger929
    September 9, 2014 at 2:05 am

Perfection!

Rachel
    September 9, 2014 at 2:34 am

Okay, so dumb question, but is the v shape from your eye socket, out to the corner, then in to the top of the lash line? Or does it extend under the eye? How far? To the pupil?

Megan
      September 9, 2014 at 2:47 am

I’m with Rachel. I’ve always had a hard time with the v shape placement. Cara, would you be willing to do a video? My problem is always how far above the eye to take the v.

Thanks so much!

Silvercamaro77
        September 9, 2014 at 4:25 am

Another vote for more detail on where the shadow for the v goes. It’s one thing that I just don’t get. Maybe if you don’t have time for a video you can do a diagram shading in where we should be shadowing for the v?

Cara
          September 9, 2014 at 6:10 am

Deal! I am planning to make a video with each shadow technique actually demonstrated! I think for many people the videos are much more helpful!

• Jessica Pierson
            September 9, 2014 at 8:59 am

YAY!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping you would! I have also always had trouble with the V. The gals at sephora can do it perfectly ON me, but I just can’t replicate. Yet your tutorials have always been helpful (in fact I can’t figure out how to go back to doing my eye liner PRE 60 second smokey eye tutorial, so I always end up smudging my eyeliner now lol, just can’t figure it out!!!).

Anyways THANK YOU!!! And looking forward to the eyeshadow school video!!

• Megan
            September 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

So glad your doing a video. This one is tough for me too.

Sara
    September 9, 2014 at 3:03 am

I think your look is more like Magnum! I love your blog, thank you!

Cara
      September 9, 2014 at 6:10 am

well that’s totally a compliment:) magnum is so much cooler:) haha!

Krystal R
    September 9, 2014 at 3:19 am

Love This! Thank you so much for the help with eyeshadow, I so need it 🙂 In your last post you mentioned a primer by IT Cosmetics-Feel the Moment, do you think it would be a good one for people with very oily skin as well?

Cara
      September 9, 2014 at 6:09 am

Hi Krystal! Good Question, I actually wouldn’t recommend it for oily skin because it is a pretty slick texture! I would go for something a little more mattifying like Laura Mercier Oil-free primer or Hourglass Mineral Veil:)

Emily Lowery
    September 9, 2014 at 3:21 am

Love this post. I will have to give this a try as I struggle so much with eyeshadow normally but this makes it seem easy! xo

Christine
    September 9, 2014 at 3:50 am

I love these eyeshadow schools! So helpful – thank you!

Natalie
    September 9, 2014 at 4:17 am

I love your mirror face! Eyeshadow advice is always welcome too 😀

zoemozer
    September 9, 2014 at 5:07 am

You are so pretty and thank you for this post! I am not so good at applying eyeshadow but I will def test this!
    Much love from http://devilreturnsprada.wordpress.com/

Mia
    September 9, 2014 at 5:40 am

I love this eye shadow series!

Kathi
    September 9, 2014 at 8:01 am

Hey Cara!

This looks great on you! I don`t know if I do something wrong or if my eyeshape is just so extraordinary, but every time I try to recreate this look I just look like a weird panda. Really. I would say I have big, deep set eyes, but at the same time you can see the whole lid (which is large too). My crease is shaped pretty round. Please help! Am I doing something wrong or is this look maybe not for me? Thanks a lot!

Jenna Doeleman
    September 9, 2014 at 11:12 am

I love this, and while I do something similar I love seeing your tips!!!

Janna
    September 9, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I don’t see a color on the MAC eyeshadows call Smut or deep smut…?

Alecia ferrell
    September 9, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Yay!!! I won Wen!!! I can’t wait, I’ve been dying to try it forever! Thank you so much, checking my email. 🙂

tiredoftokyo
    September 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm

wonderful post, thank you very much!
    As someone who usually only smudges eyeshadow on with my fingers, this will sure help me a lot! ♥

Katherine
    September 10, 2014 at 7:28 am

Hey Cara!

I love this look, but my eyes are slightly hooded and often when I try to do this look and bring the V shape of the darker shadow higher up on my crease so it can be seen with my eyes open, it begins to look messy and I feel like it drags my lids down further =/ When you do a video or another post on this type of shadow application, could you also talk about/show us a version of this (or a smokier look) on hooded eyes?! Thanks so much!!! That would be so helpful to us hooded-eyed women!!!

RunLelaRun
      September 10, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I’ve got slightly hooded and very down turned eyes, and my advice is to use a very thin eyeliner-type brush to do the V instead of a thicker shadow brush. You get the hint of darker color without the heaviness.

Jocelyn
    September 10, 2014 at 8:53 am

I love this eye look it’s absolutely gorgeous! (I am also extremely envious of your eyebrows haha) x
    sxfehaven.blogspot.co.uk

Jacklyn
    September 10, 2014 at 9:34 am

I am horrible at putting on eyeshadow (usually I skip it and go straight to eyeliner), so this is a much needed trick for me. This is awesome. 🙂

Sherall
    September 10, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Love the look very natural, will be trying this technique and the magnum pout to go with. Cool post : )

Jenny
    September 11, 2014 at 5:52 am

I saw where you mentioned you’ll be doing a video on the V-shape placement. I struggle and struggle with this. I have large “bug eyes” and can’t seem to find the right technique for this shading on me.

Jessica Pierson
      September 11, 2014 at 6:00 am

Hi Jenny,
      I have also struggled with this and also have pretty big, “bug” eyes. I found something this morning that seemed to really work though!

I used a small angled eye brush to do the lower part of the V (the part that goes from the corner of the eye outward towards the end of your eyebrow), THEN I switched to a crease brush to do the upper part of the V, which goes from the middle of the V and inwards towards your nose. I think using a bigger brush in the crease rather than the small one you use to do the lower part of the V works a LOT better. If you have those tools, give it a try.

Just thought I’d share my experience with you 🙂 Good luck and have a great day!

Natalie
    September 11, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Do you have any step by steps for wide set eyes?

Casey
    September 12, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Love love love this tutorial! Just stumbled on your blog and I must say I love it! Your photos are nice and clear, and your writing is amazing!

Stef Ha
    September 12, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Cara–I’m LOVING Eyeshadow U!! It has classes I love going to and all of the homework is FUN!!
    Can you please offer some solutions for the ultimate gorgeous gaze saboteur: under-eye maladies. My malady is puffiness/ bags . I can ever seem to Highlight myself out of it in a natural way.
    Please help!!

kikaysikat
    September 16, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I tried to imitate your mirror face and I felt like a model! Excellent tutorial

Beauty Blogs in Review | Vampid
    September 18, 2014 at 5:39 pm

[…] A nice maybe not-so-dewy nude look could be punctuated with an eye-catching brown lipstick, and five notable ones are reviewed on Temptalia. If you want to go brown eye (pause to let intentionally bad phrasing sink in), here’s a review of brown eye shadows. Any of these brown shadows would probably work really well with this quick and simple “deep crease” eye shadow technique described by Cara on Maskcara. […]

TreyDey
    November 15, 2014 at 11:24 am

I love all your tutorials and by the way your look is …really really ridiculously good looking 🙂

21 Trucos de belleza para aquellas adictas al maquillaje que son principiantes - LasSociales.co
    November 19, 2014 at 2:26 am

[…] Para conocer otra opinión sobre el efecto ‘pliegue marcado’, echa un vistazo a este tutorial en Maskcara. […]

21 Beauty Tricks For Makeup Addicts In Training - Totally nailed it
    November 19, 2014 at 4:10 am

graciousstore
    January 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for this tip! very helpful

Red Square Shares This Season's Fun and Funky New Make Up Trends to Keep Their Customers Bang on Trend This Summer -
    January 8, 2015 at 10:08 pm

[…] GOSH Kohl Eye Liner (R79) or the GOSH Intense Eye Liner Pen (R125). “Rim the eye and then take an eye shadow brush or crease brush and use it to blend that line away,” he explains. “To avoid smudges it […]

Dizao Organics
    January 25, 2015 at 9:20 pm

This magnificent blog is a useful one! To remain up to date, finally, enjoy yourself with collagen face mask. It will add more cool details for you look and appearance.

Danielle
    February 3, 2015 at 9:12 am

I’d love to know the exact colors of the eyeshadows here! Anyone know? They’re gorgeous and it looks like they’re all MAC

Top 10 Easiest Makeup Tutorials For Busy Ladies