Makeup Makeup Products Products Tips & Tricks

Body Contouring

Even I know that this is COMPLETELY unrealistic for most of us on almost any given day.
But some of us have really glamorous lives and some of us have a high school reunion to attend or a wedding anniversary or some other reason to want to look and feel totally-out-of-this-world-hot.
For those special situations theres a beautiful little thing that always makes me feel super sexy.
And that’s body makeup.
Yep, makeup isn’t only banished to your face.
And contouring isn’t either!
I grabbed a gorgeous pair of legs to show you what I mean, and how to do it.

Photography: Jessica Janae | Model: Elana Ali Jadallah

Tools: Contour Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs in Deep | Highlight Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Light {Two Old foundation brushes}

As you can see, using a dark and a light color and some old makeup brushes you basically use the same tricks you’d use for contouring your face, just on a larger scale.
Dark where you want it to recede, light where you want it to protrude.
I recede on the edge of the natural muscles (where the natural shadows appear – giving them an added oomph) and Highlight on the top of the muscles and down the front of the shins.
It’s fantastic because it covers up any dings or bruises and sculpts all at the same time!
you can use the same basic idea on your arms, décolletage (great for covering up redness or sun damage) or abs as well.
I love how it also has a subtle shimmer, it really adds to the whole feeling glamorous thing:)

PS Elana is quite dark naturally but if you’d rather your legs not look so tanned I recommend using {Coconut Mango Bronzing Stick} for the contouring instead – it’s nice cause it’s a stick so you can skip the brushing on!:)

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    September 4, 2014 at 12:44 am

Have you tried this prtty peaushun stuff?

September 4, 2014 at 10:03 am

I swear we are on the same wave length! I just barely ordered some from anthropologie like two days ago! Have you tried it? I’ll let you know what I think as soon as I get it!

Miranda Mataafa
    September 4, 2014 at 3:34 am

That looks amazing! I like the idea of an all over body contouring. As always, you’re the best for helping us every day -ers out!

September 4, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Miranda!!

Katherine Willis
    September 4, 2014 at 3:36 am

My problem is that I’m SO fair that everything looks orange or totally creepy cross on my skin! There really isn’t a formula for the fair ladies! I don’t want a Jersey Shore tan!

September 4, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I TOTALLY know what you mean. It is so hard to find something that contours without going orange on fair skin. Any it’s not like you want to have to be tan! I have been on the lookout for ages. Maybe I’l just have to create one!?

September 6, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Look into buying the Sun Laboratories instant self tanner! I’m fair skinned and it looks natural and amazing on me! There are green pigments in it to reduce the orangey color you get with most self tanners! 🙂

Emerald Earrings
    September 4, 2014 at 3:42 am

Oh my goodness, I can’t wait to try this! I’m just terrified I’m going to become addicted to it and be contouring my legs every morning before I go to work. lol. Goodness knows I need more to add to my beauty routine 🙂

September 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm

haha if you’re like me you’ll love it so much for not enough to even begin to want to do it everyday haha SO much work!

September 4, 2014 at 3:53 am

Is there any way you could make a video tutorial? Because the pictures look awesome but I have no clue how to do it.
    And also, how do we set this make up to make sure we don’t stain anyone, our clothes and/or when we sweat?
    Love your tips!

September 4, 2014 at 4:09 am

YES. Consider both of these questions doubled, please!

Emerald Earrings
        September 4, 2014 at 6:03 am

I read all of the reviews for the leg make-up on the Ulta site (follow her link) and it got really good reviews! They said it doesn’t wear off and literally lasts til your next shower. One reviewer said she even slept on white sheets and didn’t have any rub off! I’m impressed.

Twirly Skirt
          September 4, 2014 at 6:10 am

I agree with that! I sleep on white sheets with this product on all the time and it has never rubbed off on my sheets. It doesn’t come off my skin until I scrub it with soap and water in the shower.

• Emerald Earrings
            September 4, 2014 at 6:12 am

Yay! Thanks! My only reservation is that I tend to sweat buckets when I get stressed or nervous (disgusting, I know) but I’m willing to give it a try! I’m a bridesmaid in my sister’s wedding in November and we’re wearing knee length dresses so I’m excited to try it then!

• Twirly Skirt
            September 4, 2014 at 6:16 am

In that case, definitely try it out in advance to make sure it works for you. I don’t sweat hardly at all so it might be different for you. But I would think that it would be okay given that water only doesn’t seem to get it off easily. It’s kind of like waterproof mascara…it needs more than just water to get it off entirely. I hope you love it as much as I do and have a blast at your sister’s wedding! 🙂

• Emerald Earrings
            September 4, 2014 at 6:18 am

Good idea! I’ll give it a try when I have a chance! Thank you so much! 🙂

September 4, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Cathy B. (@fulltimemamom)
      September 4, 2014 at 11:31 am

I use the Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs all of the time, and it’s water resistant. I sweat a lot and it never comes off! I just chatted with a Victoria’s Secret employee on line and the Coconut Mango stick isn’t water-resistant. Neither is their All-Over Bronzing Stick. 🙁

September 4, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Good to know! I’ve never really tested it’s water resistance!

Kathy Crok
    September 4, 2014 at 3:58 am

That looks quite amazing! But can you realistically sit down, dance, or rub up against things and have it stay on? I wore tanning makeup on my legs once and then never did again because of the way it rubbed off my legs and got on my shorts.

Twirly Skirt
    September 4, 2014 at 5:36 am

I do this too! I love using this technique for special occasions! I found a body brush from Ecco that makes it easier for me when applying it to a large area, like my legs. It gives a really nice blended, airbrush look. Just wanted to mention that in case it might be helpful. xoxo Jen

brandy m
    September 4, 2014 at 5:53 am

Hope Howland (@HHDesigns)
    September 4, 2014 at 7:18 am

What the what? I’m so intrigued…

September 4, 2014 at 7:48 am

I do something similar with just one type of spray tan—extra coats/darker on the sides of my legs!

hello phloxy
    September 4, 2014 at 8:11 am

I hate my legs – I may need the help from a friend doing this however I will be the happiest person if this works on me. Thanks for the tip. xx

September 4, 2014 at 8:34 am

Hi Cara, I have a question for you. How long can you keep these tanning/bronzing products. I have some Sally Hansen Airbrush products along with other tanning gels/creams but don’t use them up in one summer. Are they still good for next summer?

September 4, 2014 at 10:45 am

This isn’t really for me…but it makes sense! What a difference, huh? I might reconsider this option next summer! 😉

Cathy B. (@fulltimemamom)
    September 4, 2014 at 11:23 am

I sweat a lot too, and the Sally Hansen leg makeup doesn’t come off! It’s great. I used to get the spray one (they called it spray-on pantyhose), but since they came out with the lotion I’ve been using that. I like the lotion one more. 🙂 I have to scrub it off really good with a washcloth, so it’s nice that it exfoliates my legs also ha ha.

Cathy B. (@fulltimemamom)
    September 4, 2014 at 11:26 am

Oh yeah, and the Sally Hansen airbrush legs does go on orange at first, but it dries to a natural color, and is a little sparkly–not too much, it looks nice. 🙂

September 4, 2014 at 11:40 am

Love this

September 4, 2014 at 3:03 pm

What great tips! I feel like I would have to have you there to put it on though!

Anna Chambers
    September 4, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Thanks admin for sharing some useful Body Contouring Tips.I like your post.Keep blogging like this and best of luck.

September 5, 2014 at 10:08 am

this is so cool xo

September 5, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Great idea! But do not do this on a hot day I did once at a wedding and it stained the chair and it kept sweating it off.

September 6, 2014 at 3:27 am

Not a huge fan of putting makeup on my legs…. I think the best way to contour your legs is to workout =p

Interesting post though

September 7, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’ve been curious about this and wanting to try it for a long time, so thanks for the great post Cara! But, I really want to see a side picture of it. Doesn’t it look really weird from the side?? Like a brown stripe down the side of your leg, even if you blend it well?

Gabriela Astrid
    September 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm

This is SUPER USEFUL for someone (like me) who has varicose veins and/or scars. I can’t wear anything above my ankles until I get these vein removed after I’m pregnant. 😛 Maybe this will help. THANK YOU!

Rashed Khan
    November 22, 2014 at 4:09 am

Nice and informative….. Successful communication is key in every successful learning …. Medical School is best performance depends on Medical .Understanding your subject and having good knowledge on your blog topic is always essential for a successful blog… Thanks for this post…..

Maskcara Contouring - Fashion dan Belanja Jadi Satu
    December 30, 2014 at 2:34 pm

[…] body contouring | Maskcara – I like the idea of an all over body contouring. As always, you’re the best for helping us every day -ers out! Reply Cara says: September 4, 2014 at 7:07 pm Thanks …… […]