Before & Afters Makeup

Monday Makeover – Kayla

Kayla is my gorgeous next door neighbor. I first met her when we were moving in and her husband literally jumped on the U-Haul, introduced himself and started packing in boxes. Between him and nick the whole truck was unloaded in an hour! I know moving isn’t fun for anyone so I was really touched by his eagerness to help and Kayla is just as sweet. Every time I look at her I can’t believe her eyes. I mean they look like there’s a light on inside them! Amiright? Plus she’s got some seriously beautiful fair skin.

kayla2

kayla

kayla3

What I used:

She was a little on the dry side when we began so I started with a VERY moisturizing primer (and a new one I’ve been loving!) IT Cosmetics Feel The Moment
I filled her brows with Brun (of course…)
Then I gave her a once over with some IIID Foundation in Light (the new stuff) avoiding the freckles as much as possible!
Next I lined and filled her lips with (my new FAVORITE Liner) OCC Cosmetics in Sebastion
I dabbed Maskcara blush in Ruby on her lips and cheeks (which made her eyes GLOW like crazy!)
On her lids and beneath her eyes on her lash line I patted in Sunrise and to highlight her brow and the middle of her lid I used Transforming Pearl, both from the IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Palette
Then I lined her tear line with NYX Wonder Pencil in light and a touch of NYX Blue eyes liner right below her pupil to add a little extra sparkle to her big blues.
For her lashes I first primed with Dior Lash Primer then I coated them with YSL Shocking Mascara
TO finish I set her with Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray.
She also has a Halo Hair Extension piece she’d been wanting to put in so we added that, I loved how that pretty banana blonde warmed her up a bit!

I hope you are all having a fun long weekend!

PS On a side note – I am having some issues on the site with my subscription emails not being sent & with comments not being sifted (I have a program that gets rid of all of the spam comments and it’s not working so right now so I have to moderate them myself – you would not believe the amount of spam that comes through! Fake Prada bags and Air Jordan ads pretending to be thoughtful broken english comments out number the real ones 5-1! So weird) Anyway I’m hoping to get that fixed ASAP 🙂
signature

79 Comments

Laarni
    September 1, 2014 at 5:30 am

Amazing beauty. I already love her non-makeup look but she looks prettier after applying the blush, eyeshadows and lipstick! great job!!!

do you use akismet? upgrade it.

September 2, 2014 at 6:44 am

Thank you! That’s the problem…I am upgraded already! haha

Shonda
    September 1, 2014 at 5:34 am

That explains why my comment to enter the WEN giveaway didn’t go through 🙁

September 2, 2014 at 6:46 am

Don’t worry! It did go through eventually, peppermint, right? That would smell delicious. Sad for me anything with mint has a weird effect on my scalp and I can’t use it!

Sara
    September 1, 2014 at 6:12 am

Gorgeous! As a fair-skinned blonde I’m really excited to see a face that looks a bit like mine. I’m so glad you let her beautiful skin tone shine through! Would you say with fair skin you have to use a lighter hand or is it all about using the right colors? I often feel like any makeup (especially bronzer) looks too heavy on my skin. Do you have any recommendations for someone who has a lot of pink in their skin tone? Maybe you’ve done this before but I’d love to see a series on what colors and techniques to use on specific skin tones. It really makes a huge difference in how makeup looks! Great job as always!

Shelley
      September 2, 2014 at 5:34 am

Sara, good questions, would love to know more about this skin tone as I’m also very similar (blue eyes, pink undertones, fair skin). I basically stay clear of eye shadows, as when I do my eyes I start to look clown like! Love the colours used in this tutorial, and will give them a try. Good luck Sara 🙂

September 2, 2014 at 6:51 am

I’d say with fair skin it’s using both a lighter hand and the right colors. Bronzer can be especially problematic – always wanting to look orange or muddy! I think that’s a great idea! I am actually talking a lot about skin tones in some upcoming eyeshadow school posts! (because I think the focus is always on eye color when skin tone makes a big difference as well!) So keep your eyes peeled for that!

Lizzie
        September 2, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I’ll chime in as another fair skinned lady–only I’ve got yellower skin, brown eyes, AND freckles! All foundation is too pink if it’s light enough, and too dark if it’s yellow enough. It’s so hard.

Sara
        September 3, 2014 at 7:01 am

Thanks Cara! You’re the best! Sorry to be greedy with my questions.

stylesyntax
        September 3, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I’m NC10 and bronzer looks really good on me. I think maybe on people with cool overtones, bronzer is bad, but for some fair-skinned people, it’s the difference between zombie and fabulous 🙂

Boni
    September 1, 2014 at 9:15 am

Wow what a beautiful girl Miss Kayla is!! And yes it does look like someone turned on a light behind her eyes! Perhaps a bit of the sun light and the moon light combined? 🙂 LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY girl! My eyes are naturally a medium green, so my eyes don’t do that. 🙁 It sounds like you and your husband have some great new friends for life, how wonderful!!! It’s nice to see a fellow blonde fair skinned gal, although I am much more pale than that. I’m a bit vampirish in that respect. 😉 The colors are very beautiful, I need them!!! 🙂 I hope you’re having a lovely holiday today, Miss Cara! Stay nice and cool! 🙂 I have a watermelon in the fridge that needs to get sliced up so I can feel refreshed on this hot humid day in San Antonio. 🙂 Can’t wait to eat it! Thank you for the Monday Makeover! All of your hard work is very appreciated, as always!!! 🙂

September 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I doubt you are vampish! (although I do love a good vampy look:) I hope you had a fantastic Holiday too and thanks for making me crave watermelon! YUM! You’re the best:)

Boni
        September 6, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Lol! Well, you’d be surprised how pale I am. When I lived in Salt Lake for a few years in 2001-2003 I got to be an extra in 7 different episodes for that tv show “Touched by an Angel”. One episode they were having lots of people dress up as angels for an angel convention. They called us “Freak Angels”. 🙂 Anyway I was wearing a black dress and a black choker necklace as I waited for my angel costume and for the makeup artists to do my face. There were these 2 guys in front of me who thought I’d already had my makeup done and that’s why I was glowing pale so much. They told me how cool I looked 🙂 I told them I didn’t have my special tv makeup done yet, and that was just my normal look. Which made them think it was even more cool. 🙂 Normally though I don’t get compliments on my pale skin, usually I get very rude comments or just shock from other people. I went to Nogales, Mexico to go shopping with one of my older sister’s when this one vendor asked me if I would like to buy his gold jewelry. I politely declined with a smile and he said to me, “Ok Casper, man you’re white!!” I was stunned! It upset me the rest of the day. I get asked if I’m an Albino, I get called Casper, I get comments how people need sunglasses to look at me. One guy said, “Got Milk”? My daughter is in the 6th grade this year and on her first day someone in the hall called her Casper. I sighed and thought, “And so it continues.” My daughter hates her pale skin. I try and tell her not to let it get to her. People can be very mean and insecure. But since the Twilight saga has come out I have learned to appreciate my skin color more. 🙂 I actually think it’s very pretty! No matter what anyone says. My BFF says my milky skin makes me hotter! Ha! He thinks it’s beautiful and unique. He thinks I should never do any fake tans, that my white skin is prettier. I would like a little color on my legs, though! Everything else is fine. 🙂 Yes, watermelon is great, isn’t it! I’m eating some more right now! 😉

Jessica
    September 1, 2014 at 9:20 am

I think this is one of my favorite make overs yet!!

September 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Thank you! I love it too, she is so beautiful!

Emily
    September 1, 2014 at 9:49 am

I’m seriously in love with this makeover!

September 2, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Thanks emily:)

Stacey
    September 1, 2014 at 10:23 am

I have the same type of hair but never been able to hide the clips on extensions. Is she happy with the halo? If so what brand?

September 2, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I think she is, It’s probably the only thing that could hide under her hair because it’s very fine. It was halocouture.com

Holly McLoughlin
    September 1, 2014 at 10:36 am

She’s so pretty! x

Barbara
    September 1, 2014 at 10:48 am

Re: The After

How warm and naturally beautiful her face looks, yet she’s wearing more makeup than in The Before! Great job.

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    September 1, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Holy cheekbones, Batman! I’m out of town and am suddenly regretting that I brought Shortcake instead of Jem.

I love the trick with the blue eyeliner. Would you say that the Lt Bronze in the Lorac Pro palette is a rough dupe for the Sunset shade?

September 2, 2014 at 7:08 pm

You would look stunning with the Jem! I’m surprised I didn’t just send you that one! I think that’s the one I used on on you! The lt. bronze mixed with the gold would be perfect!

Alicia
    September 1, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Holy wow. She looks so much like a young Cybill Shepherd in the makeover pic.

Kelly
    September 1, 2014 at 5:33 pm

That eyeshadow color is amazing!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Megan
    September 1, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I love when you do makeovers with their makeup that they do. You are just so amazing! She is super pretty!

JuliaBobbin (@JuliaBobbin)
    September 1, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Nailed it! What a gorgeous gal. This makeover really highlights her classic beauty. Well done neighbour!

Meri
    September 2, 2014 at 1:19 am

Love love love it and you!

Meri
      September 2, 2014 at 1:26 am

On a side note, I was thinking you might like to use the Mac strawberry blonde eyebrow pencil as a lip liner for blondes. I’ve been doing some “maskcara” inspired looks with that and I think you would approve <3

September 2, 2014 at 7:08 pm

oooh I’ll have to try that! Thanks for the tip!

Vieve
    September 2, 2014 at 3:13 am

What do you mean by “(the new stuff)” for the IIID foundation? Can you please offer more details on the allegedly new formula? I can’t find anything on the shop site, and I order my HAC pack a few months ago 🙁 I hope mine is still good!

Vieve
      September 2, 2014 at 3:18 am

NVM! I found the information i needed! 🙂 Looking forward to the New Stuff, as my skin is considered normal/combination and i had some flaking issues as well!

xx

Erin
    September 2, 2014 at 3:28 am

She is stunning and still so natural looking. Favorite makeover.

Gaijinjoy
    September 2, 2014 at 4:20 am

What a beauty! This makeover is spot on. Her eyes look so much softer and her lipstick is the perfect shade. Model-worthy.

Emerald Earrings
    September 2, 2014 at 4:23 am

Gorgeous eyes!! And how lucky is she to have you for a neighbor?! Totally jealous 🙂

JNJxn
    September 2, 2014 at 4:35 am

She is stunning. The makeover looks great! Question about brows…I have dark blonde hair and thought the Mac Brun was too dark for my brows. ? I use a Laura Mercier brow powder in Soft Blonde, and it seems to be perfect. What’s the rule of thumb there? Is it just personal preference?

September 2, 2014 at 7:05 pm

So glad you asked! It’s totally up to you, I always hear rules about it like “one shade lighter than your hair” or what not but I like a darker brow and some people prefer a softer brow. Neither of us is wrong as long as it makes you feel balanced and beautiful:)

JNJxn
        September 3, 2014 at 6:00 am

Thank you so much, Cara!! And thank you for your amazing blog!! Can’t wait to see pics of your sweet baby boy one day soon!!! 🙂

stylesyntax
        September 3, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Blondes’ eyebrows should be darker than their hair. I have very dark eyebrows though, so I use a light eyebrow pencil (fling by mac) or otherwise it gets very 80s madonna on my face.

Rachel White Pennell
    September 2, 2014 at 5:00 am

It’s crazy how much she looks like a young Cybil Shepard in the after pic! Not the before, but definitely the after!

Gorgeous model and gorgeous makeover!

September 2, 2014 at 7:06 pm

She totally does!!! Love it.

Cait
    September 2, 2014 at 5:23 am

Gorgeous makeover! Question – as a very fair skinned, blue-eyed, blonde girl myself, do you ever use a color lighter than Brun to fill in eyebrows? I feel like without a professional’s touch I’d make my eyebrows look scary, but I want to have something going on 🙂

JNJxn
      September 3, 2014 at 6:02 am

Cait, I asked her the same thing! See comment 21. Hope this helps you too.

Cait
        September 7, 2014 at 7:49 am

I see that now, oops! Thanks 🙂

Brittany Butkiewicz
    September 2, 2014 at 5:29 am

This is one of my favorite makeovers you have done! When will the new IIID Line be ready??? I just used mine up.

September 2, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Pre-sales will start this month!!!! YAY!!!! Finally!

Sara
    September 2, 2014 at 10:58 am

Beautiful! One of my favorite makeovers!

Sandra W
    September 2, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I like her own make up better because it makes her look younger. I think your make over makes her look old.

Whitney Benson
      September 2, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I was going to say the same thing! It looks nice, but older. I think it may be the lipstick?

Mariah-Kae
      September 2, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I’ve seen this same comment on the last few makeovers she’s done. I’m beginning to suspect it’s the lighting. The one with her mom wasn’t like that.

September 2, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I’m not sure what it is but unless I do makeup on a woman over 40 I almost ALWAYS get the older comment. I don’t ever really try to make people look “younger” I just try to bring out their best features without covering up their natural beauty. I think many of my friends look far more beautiful at 30 than they did at 20. Looking younger, to me is not the ultimate trump card. I do think that as people age they generally lose volume in their face and look more chiseled, with contouring people do look more chiseled – cheek bones etc. The beauty of beauty is that it’s in the eye of the beholder. It’s not a question of right and wrong, it’s just art! To me I think the makeup brings out her beautiful eyes, her luscious lips and her gorgeous bone structure and makes her look vibrant. I think she looks absolutely beautiful in the before as well. Just two different options:)

Deanna
          September 2, 2014 at 10:39 pm

the first picture looks like she could pass for 16-20(great genes!) and the second picture looks like her slightly older sister. looking “older” than you are originally perceived it not a bad thing at all, ESPECIALLY when your makeup looks that amazing and polished!! I could pass for a teen when I’m wearing my glasses and a ponytail but when I put on a full face of nicely applied makeup, I appear more my actual age(almost 30!)

• stylesyntax
            September 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm

No offense to Kayla intended, but I think she also lines her eyes in the first pic the way younger women often line her eyes, with black around the top and bottom. So I think the adds to the youthful look.

Caity
    September 2, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I agree with the other comments. I think you are wonderful at makeup, but lately the gals all look older, like they gained ten years with their makeup. Still pretty though.

Lizzy
    September 3, 2014 at 6:16 am

To me she doesn’t necessarily look older. She just looks much more mature. Beautiful girl and beautiful work Cara!!

Andrea Kazmierczak
    September 3, 2014 at 7:18 pm

What a beautiful makeover! I love the softness and simplicity of the eye makeup. Great work:)

jamie
    September 3, 2014 at 8:13 pm

She’s gorgeous and your makeup application is perfection. I love when you show a closed- eye photo because it helps me tons with doing my own eye makeup.I love your blog and your personality that comes thru in your writing. I have NO IDEA how anyone could say anything negative about you or leave a mean-spirited comment (I almost never read comments for that very reason. I’m just sayin’ because of something you wrote in your most recent post about people making mean comments bummed me out for you.). You are very talented!!! And stunning!

Boni
      September 3, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I agree Jamie! Cara is so very talented and generous with her time and her work and her knowledge. I’ll never understand any mean spirited comments either, it’s a shame. 🙁 But I believe her work and her personal beauty speaks for itself, she has much to be proud of! 🙂 She is always very kind and just keeps doing her thing, just as she should. ( I know it’s not easy to be criticized, as anyone could relate). I’m very happy for her successes and I admire her strength and talents. Cara clearly was meant to do this! It makes me happy and hopeful to see someone doing what they love. She worked hard to get where she is, and I hope she continues on this path. Always remember that you have a lot of supporters, Cara! You wouldn’t be where you are if you weren’t great at this! Plain and simple. XOXOXO. 🙂

Jadie
    September 4, 2014 at 2:03 am

Really lovely makeup, very refreshing and not over the top x

saraelevasseur
    September 4, 2014 at 10:14 am

Her makeup is lovely! I will agree that she looks more mature, but I would say she looks like a young woman before, but like a beautiful model after. Gorgeous!!! Cara, you are amazingly talented and I get inspiration from you all the time!

Amy
    September 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Woohoo, a fair-skinned makeover!!! So beautiful. I love those glowing eyes. Great job, Cara! 🙂

The MakeupMama
    September 7, 2014 at 7:14 am

Very pretty. The contouring looks amazing, you really enhanced her bone structure, she almost looks like a different girl.

townpearl
    September 8, 2014 at 5:58 am

kindly please like and follow this blog its all about today’s fashion…
    regards

Bridget
    September 8, 2014 at 11:08 am

Gorgeous. What a natural beauty!

Debbie
    September 9, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi! Love your site! I am the same skin tone as the girl in the makeover. I loved her lip color, so I bought it. I just got it in mail today. On me it looks like a dark greyish color?! It is awful. Like I am trying to be goth. ha. It is nothing like the color in the picture. Sebastian WAS the color? Thank you.

September 9, 2014 at 11:14 am

That was just the liner! I used Jem (which is a raspberry blush color) to fill her lips. The liner I just used really lightly around the edges of her lips to make them pout a bit, all alone it would be totally dead looking! So sorry for the confusion!

Debbie
        September 9, 2014 at 11:35 am

Haha! Ok, that explains a lot! How did I miss that! LOL Thank you!

Allee
    September 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm

She looks like Queen Cersei from Game of Thrones! (And yes I know I’m a nerd.)

Dozao Organics
    December 18, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Weblog you have is definitely wonderful! To remain in style of latest beauty, check out best tinted lip balms for yourself! This will really help you to stay astonishing.

Brandi Schoch
    January 25, 2015 at 11:17 am

I had to make a comment on your PS about spam, I run a blog on fiber, yarn, knitting and spinning and I still get the same type of spam. I guess they don’t really think about their spam being relevent to the blog:) lol

Loren Morris
    February 2, 2015 at 12:14 pm

I LOVE THIS LOOK! I am also a freckled fair face gal. I hate wearing make up because I really like my freckles. But, I am getting to the age that I can’t just go natural. I need a little pick me up. Any tips? I haven’t really ever used foundation because drug store brands never match my skin and mask my freckles. Would you recommend the same maskara foundation you used for this make over? I am a dark strawberry blonde/light amber hair color with green eyes. I just have no idea where to start. I don’t know what colors to use for blush, lip or eye either! I love how she just looks so natural!

Stephanie Matthews
    February 9, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I love Kayla! She is amazing! I was lucky enough to work with her for a few months. She is so kind, I am glad that you are neighbors! Kayla looks beautiful! She looks so soft and natural!

Katharina
    March 8, 2015 at 6:12 pm

She looks fresh and pretty. Everything you did just enhanced her features so well. Just lovely . . . .It can be very challenging to have light eyes, hair and complexion and not look overdone. Love your looks and how you make enhance their look and make them even more beautiful and yet still natural.

Anonymous
    August 15, 2015 at 10:18 am

new balanceЬ

seo plugin
    August 16, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

auto loan bad credit today reviews
    August 16, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Not least is whether a relative can finance a $ 5 loan in the
    first-place.

August 17, 2015 at 7:51 am

Theese shoes are greatly flexible and offsr good freedom
    for your feet and ankle joints while walking as well as working out.

Stephie
    December 6, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Uhm. WOW. You’ve perfected her graceful look. She looks like an angel!