Pregnancy Must Haves

I had a few requests for a post to round up my favorite pregnancy products. It’s not a huge list because I think most of what you need during pregnancy is preparation for the BABY. But I’ll do a list of my favorite baby stuff next week maybe. There still are a few clutch items that I think every mom to be should know about so here you go!

1. Bump Nest Pillow. First and foremost. Above everything on this list. If you are pregnant, get this pillow. It will be the best $100 you have ever spent in your life. It’s so soft and cozy and fits perfectly. I have left it before when we’ve gone out of town and I it made me realize all over again how much I love it. Thank you so much to all the readers who told me to go for it!

2. Maternity Top. I love this H&M shirt so much. It’s light and fits really cute. I also love this dress from Gap that’s on sale right now! And..this cute top from Target. I love getting inexpensive maternity wear because I’m so weird about spending money on bump clothes since I can only wear them for a short time!

3. Unisom. When I was in the midst of the dreaded “green haze” portion of pregnancy with 24 hour nausea not much of anything actually helped at all. (I’m sure many of you can relate!) BUT one thing that was the difference between deaths door and possibly-somewhat-coherent was Unisom. My doc told me to take a half a Unisom every night which I did, faithfully. I know this is pretty much common knowlege but I felt it was helpful enough that I couldn’t leave it off the list.

4. Trilastin Stretch Mark Prevention. I’m not sure this stuff actually prevents stretch marks but it is VERY moisturizing and smooth and it smells amazing. Plus, stretch marks or not, I need to keep my middle lubed up or it gets SOOOO itchy.

5.  Maternity Jeans. These Asos Jeans are my favorite BY FAR. They fit the belly really well and keep their shape.

6. Mints. Even long after the nausea (but especially during it) I had to have a good taste in my mouth or I start feeling really icky. Mint worked for a while, ginger worked after that and when I got sick of both of those I even sucked on jolly ranchers. I’m sure the sugar isn’t the greatest but if you milk one piece for a while it’s probably no biggie compared to feeling awful!

So what about you all? Anything here I missed ??

August 26, 2014 at 6:03 am

Love this list! And NO Unisom is not common knowledge – I had NO idea, I would have been using that all the time my first pregnancy! Thanks for sharing! XX

Emerald Earrings
    August 26, 2014 at 7:13 am

I’m curious how the Pregnancy pillow works exactly? And it looks like a fairly simple pattern, wondering if you could make your own and save a little $? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Ashley H
    August 26, 2014 at 7:14 am

Thanks for this post! I’m 11 weeks pregnant today and it’s good to know this stuff. (It’s my 1st baby.) I’ve been wondering about pregnancy pillows and where to find cute, cheap maternity clothes so thanks a bunch 🙂

Jessica Johnston
    August 26, 2014 at 7:33 am

This list is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

August 26, 2014 at 7:34 am

Just had my 4th child and I’ve never heard of taking Unisom! To think what I’ve missed lol.

August 26, 2014 at 7:36 am

My doctor recommended to take vitamin B6 to prevent nausea. You can start by taking 25 mg three times a day. Up to 200 mg can be taken a day to treat morning sickness. It helped me a lot. Also, if you suffer from acid reflux, Tums are great! As soon as you have symptoms, start chewing on one and in seconds you feel relief! I’m not sure how many you can actually take during pregnancy, just ask your doctor. I think it is a great way to get more calcium, too. Especially during pregnancy, since the baby is “taking” everything needed for his growth and healthy development from you. It is you who can suffer from it. My dentist therefore told me to make sure I get extra calcium to keep my teeth healthy. Your teeth can suffer from pregnancy.

August 26, 2014 at 7:39 am

I wish I had gotten a Bump Nest pillow instead of a Snoogle, but it was harder to get in Canada! I just bought that long sleeve shirt from Target in the burgundy colour, it is sooo soft and comfy!

August 26, 2014 at 7:43 am

I took a 1/4 Unisom bc a half made me too tired, but that stuff helps so much. Also, Zantac for heartburn is a life saver!

Hope Howland (@HHDesigns)
    August 26, 2014 at 7:49 am

These are great! Thanks for sharing!

August 26, 2014 at 9:52 am

I debated long and hard between the Bump Nest and the Snoogle, and my Amazon order of the Snoogle Chic Total Body Pillow is due to come in tomorrow, and frankly I got it because it’s $40 cheaper. Has anyone experienced both?

August 27, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I have the snuggle and love it. You will love yours as well 🙂

August 27, 2014 at 4:09 pm

snoogle*** lol

Stephanie F
    August 26, 2014 at 10:00 am

Pepcid AC for heartburn… only thing that worked for mine! Also, I used this Cocoa butter for the itchy feeling and to moisturize. Slathered it on at least daily and no stretch marks!

August 26, 2014 at 10:29 am

I lived on mints and hard candy for the first portion of my pregnancy. We told our immediate family on Christmas when we hit ten weeks and I had been feeling sick since week five. My mom told me later that she had been thinking to herself (before she knew), “Megan is going to get cavities if she keeps eating candy like that!” LOL

August 26, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Great info to have since I just found out I’m expecting!! Curious which books you, or anyone recommends? thanks!!

August 26, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Love those jeans! I’ve been wondering about Asos quality and fit. Are the sizes true to size or did you order up or down? Thanks for sharing.

August 27, 2014 at 1:49 am

I am interested in knowing the fit of the jeans as well because i fit a certain size perfectly right now, i am wondering if i should order the next size up? do they have any stretch in them? Thanks Cara!

September 28, 2014 at 10:23 am

I’m also interested in knowing how Asos maternity jeans sizing works. Please do share! 🙂

August 26, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Unisom (doxylamine) used to be widely prescribed for nausea and was available by rx only. Now it’s not available as rx but only over the counter as Unisom or generic doxylamine. It’s an antihistamine and no more dangerous than Benadryl but seems to work better as an antiemetic (anti-nausea and vomiting drug). As with anything, anyone who is pregnant should check with their doc before taking anything! Source: I’m a doc who was trained by old school obgyn’s 🙂

August 27, 2014 at 4:08 am

Yes, doxylamine changed my life when I was in the throws of debilitating morning sickness! I tell every pregnant girl I know!

Megan Render
    August 26, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Hi Cara! Thanks for putting together this list 🙂 I’m 23 weeks along and have to agree with it all! I was a sucker who purchased the Snoogle to save a little money, and while it’s very comfortable, the quality is not as good as I’d hoped. Since Cara has raved about the softness of the Bump Nest pillow, I’d highly recommend spending the extra $40 for it, and you’ll get a much softer and better quality product. I already know that I’ll be buying one of those for baby #2!

Also, to any of my tall pregos out there who can’t fit the Asos jeans, Motherhood Maternity carries a couple tall skinny jeans that are cute and have a super long 36″ inseam. Thank goodness for those bad boys!!

As for Sara’s recommendation for books, I love The Mayo Clinic’s Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It was recommended to me by a friend who read both that one and What to Expect When Expecting, and found the Mayo’s book to be far less terrifying… I’ve heard that it likes to give a lot of worst-case-scenarios, and lord knows, that is not ideal for a worrisome mommy-to-be, like myself and many others 🙂

And to any newly pregnant women, I highly recommend taking week-by-week belly & chalkboard pictures to show your progress. My hubby decided to make a website for us to share with family and friends, and it’s been a big hit! It branches off of his nerdy blog, so don’t mind the silly address: 🙂

Hugs & tummy rubs to all!
    XO Megan

Rachel Wilcox
    August 26, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I am 16 weeks with my third baby. I have always struggled to find maternity jeans that I loved until recently. I am a size 2, so everything I ever tried was just too big on me everywhere except for my belly. However, this time I discovered Old Navy’s maternity jeans and they are awesome! They make them in several different styles (straight leg, boot cut, and skinny) and they just fit so well everywhere.

This may be something that everyone already knows, but for my first 2 pregnancies, I always just bought prenatals at the grocery store. My doctor started prescribing them to me and they are so much cheaper with my insurance. So, if you have insurance, ask your doctor for a prescription and you can likely get them much cheaper that way.

Other than that, I have never bought a lot during my pregnancies. I know it seems like a long time sometimes when you are expecting, but it truly does go by so quickly. Some things will make you more comfortable for the time being, but for discomforts that cannot be soothed by a product, it’s good to know that in a few months, it will all be worth it when that sweet baby is in your arms. 🙂 Congrats to all of the other expecting moms out there, and thank you Masksara for sharing your favorites with us!

Rachel Wilcox

August 27, 2014 at 10:00 am

And – if you live in an area where there is a Meijer – you get your prescribed prenatals for free. …One of the few bits of advice from my mother-in-law that I appreciated. 🙂

Ailany Zabidin
    August 27, 2014 at 12:42 am

thanks for this so gonna come in handy after my wedding! 🙂

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    August 27, 2014 at 2:41 am

I lived in Gap maternity leggings and Target nursing tanks. I had a couple of tunic and cardigans i wore over them.

I had the Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow and I was super happy with it. It allowed me to sleep in different positions over the course of the night without moving the pillow.

Unfortunately, stretch marks are genetic. I thought I was going to get away with out them and then BAM! at 36 weeks I woke up covered in them!

August 27, 2014 at 4:02 am

Thanks Megan! 🙂

August 27, 2014 at 4:50 am

Hi Cara! I didn’t get an email for this post or the last one. Neither did a friend. Can you fix that or should I resubscribe?

Jenny Block
    August 28, 2014 at 10:52 am

Zyrtec and vitamin B6 were lifesavers for nausea during my pregnancy!

August 30, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I am officialy half way through my pregnancy, and my must haves that I’d add to this list are bra extenders and a belly band (which I got at a consignment shop for $1.99)! I’m trying to squeeze into my normal clothes as long as possible. And there’s no way I’m spending money on new bras I might not fit into postpartum.

interview prepared
    August 17, 2015 at 7:40 am

ϒou never know who will Ƅe reading yoiur Tweets ߋr youг status updates.
    Situation (accounts fօr 25% of result): Ԝhat prоblem ԝere you ealing
    with. Having said that, here aгe some useful tips to help you determine expected salaries ɑnd prepare adequately for.