Skin Skin Products Skincare Tips & Tricks

Tip Tuesday: One Quick Zap

Probably a year ago I noticed something that looked like a little zit hovering over my top lip.
It was all red and never came to a head and I just figured it wold heal eventually…but after about a year it was still there.
Because it wasn’t too big I was mostly able to ignore it but the fact that it was so close to my lip and so red always made it look like my lipstick was applied badly (which isn’t great for a so called makeup artist!)
It started to really bother me and it didn’t seem that any amount of concealer would cover it for long.
I had a friend tell me I should go see a dermatologist and get it taken care of…which I put off doing for months!
Finally a few weeks ago I had a few comments referring to my lipstick being sloppy and decided I’d procrastinated long enough!
I called and made and appointment and a few days later walked into his office.
He took one quick look at my lip and said I had a Cherry Angioma and he could zap it for me in a hot minute.
He said it might leave a little white mark but it would probably be much less noticeable than the red one.
It’s only been two weeks but there is a teensy mark where he zapped it.
Exhibit A:
After spending about a year being subtly bugged by it and then having it taken care of in less than 10 minutes (plus it was covered by insurance) I really felt the need to share incase anyone else had something similar!

Plus it’s always a good idea to get these things checked incase it’s something more serious.

Happy Tuesday!!!

Lauren Kay
    August 19, 2014 at 2:38 am

I love this post!!!! I have one just like yours but it’s a little bigger and it drives me insane!! As soon as I am able I will be calling on a dermatologist! Thank you!!!

August 19, 2014 at 2:41 am

I actually have one of these that developed on the tip of my nose, of all places! Had it since college and it still drives me nuts. Thanks for sharing!

August 19, 2014 at 2:45 am

Thanks very much for writing about your experience with these types of skin questions… they’re great encouragement to talk to professionals. (in other words, thank you for the little kick in the bum :))

August 19, 2014 at 2:56 am

I have these things all over me and I hate them. Plus they get bigger over time so it’s good you got yours taken care of now.

Jo Lane
    August 19, 2014 at 2:57 am

Oh, my, goodness!!! I am so glad I found this post!!! I have the same thing and it is so annoying!!! Thank you so much!

Kristin Lanclos
    August 19, 2014 at 2:58 am

Oh my have the exact same thing in the same spot. I had no clue what it was! I don’t like wearing lipstick because it makes it stick out more or even look like I went a little crazy. Thanks! I’m making an appointment today! Hopefully my insurance covers it!

August 19, 2014 at 3:03 am

I am glad it was such a quick fix for you!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

August 19, 2014 at 3:04 am

I had one on my forehead. I went to a Dr and was told it would be $125. I couldn’t bring myself to pay for it so dealt with it for a few years before finally having it zapped off. It ended up costing me nothing because I had new insurance by then 🙂

jenn~the stylish housewife
    August 19, 2014 at 3:11 am

I also had one right on my lip line and I hated it because I always felt like it looked like a zit or cold sore! Mine would come to the surface though occasionally and bleed! My derm cauterized it and it is now just a light pink dot! MUCH better. =)

XOXO, Jenn
    The Stylish Housewife

August 19, 2014 at 3:12 am

How crazy! I have it in the exact same spot. I don’t apply liner bc it makes me look like I got a speed bump while applying it in the car. Thank you for sharing. I need to go to the dermatologist anyway.

August 19, 2014 at 3:13 am

I have had one on my nose for probably 10 years at least! It’s always bothered me and made me totally self conscious. I never thought there was such a simple solution. Thank you for sharing!!! I’m going to find a dermatologist!

August 19, 2014 at 3:13 am

*hit a speed bump 🙂

August 19, 2014 at 3:48 am

I had one of those on my hand and did the same thing!! 🙂

August 19, 2014 at 3:50 am

Oh, I have one of these too! Never thought to ask for it to be removed, I’ll do that now!

August 19, 2014 at 4:11 am

Thank you!!!!!! My sweet little 3 year old has had this on the tip of her nose for over a year! I had no clue what it was or who could take care of it! Now I do!!!! Made an appt! Thank you!!!!!

Jan W
    August 19, 2014 at 4:18 am

Glad this was an easy and successful fix! Now my question – what is the gorgeous lip color you’re wearing in the “before” photo? Love it!

August 19, 2014 at 5:04 am

I had these all over my body ( and they are slowly returning) but I found the laser hair removal gal could take care of these too. It was the cost of one apt and we zapped all over my body. I felt soooo much better. $150 and I done. I still have one close to my eye the laser can’t do so I will go to the dermatologist this fall to take care of it.

Jamie Gingerelli
    August 19, 2014 at 5:15 am

Thanks for sharing this!
    Jamie @ SnapGinger

August 19, 2014 at 5:41 am

I too had a mole on the edge of my upper lip and my liner always looked crooked. It drove me nuts for years and then I finally had it removed by my dermatologist!! Best thing ever!!!

August 19, 2014 at 5:55 am

Thanks for the awesome tip, Cara! You’re always looking out for us. I don’t have any issue like this at the moment, but now I have an idea for future reference. PS- I never thought your lip application looked sloppy!!

Ali J
    August 19, 2014 at 6:09 am

Cara, this has nothing to do with this post but I want your medium 3d hac makeup!!! When is it coming out?? Is it going to be sold at ulta or sephora at all? Please oh please tell me it’s coming out soon!! Thanks girl. -Ali

August 19, 2014 at 6:45 am

I’m glad you were proactive. I had a similar thing this summer, a lump on my jawline that I though was a cystic acne bump but it just wouldn’t go away. I finally had it taken off and it was a benign tumor. I too have a scar but I’m not worried anymore and don’t care about a scar, that’s what makeup is for.

Quincy Harrison
    August 19, 2014 at 7:33 am

Thank you!!! I have a dark red spot and always thought it was a recurring zit and would try to pop it (shame on me) so it would go away!! Next appointment I have, I’m gonna have him zap it off!

August 19, 2014 at 8:09 am

I always love your candor and honesty, and that you share your faults as well as your successes with us readers!

Also, I think my bf might have a couple of these, so thanks for sharing. He’s been kinda ignoring them, too, because they seem small and harmless.

Vanessa Key
    August 19, 2014 at 8:44 am

Well done! Now you won’t be bothered with this annoying zit 🙂
    I had a similar problem with a birthmark on my chest. I had it whole my life up to 23years. I always scratched birthmark with nails while dressing up/out or putting on bra. It was disturbing me so badly that I made ​​an appointment to a doctor. He removed it in 5 minutes and the problem was solved once and for all. For a couple of weeks I felt the burn from the laser but it passed.
    I got rid not only of birthmark but also from complex and shame.
    Everything is made for the better!

August 19, 2014 at 11:52 am

I had a small scaly patch on my upper lip for several months; thought it was just eczema but it wouldn’t completely go away. After nine months I finally saw my dermatologist who said it was a type of skin cancer. Similarly, he was able to zap it away, but I had no idea it was a cancer. Moral of the story — if something is unusual and doesn’t go away, get it looked at by a derm.

August 19, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Just curious…do you have a PPO? We just switched insurance and now have a PPO so I can go get mine looked at, but I’m nervous about the cost…even just for the appointment.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Erica Tanner
    August 19, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Thanks for sharing! Interesting. And do you know what causes them?

August 20, 2014 at 2:28 am

OMG, thank you!! I have one of those in the middle of my forehead and it’s been there for about six years. Concealer doesn’t fully cover it although since I’m mostly a natural girl (minimal makeup on most occasions), I didn’t bug me – I just thought it gave me character. However, knowing that I can get rid of it in only 10 minutes makes me think that maybe I should go for it.

Do you think my regular [kind of crappy] insurance is good enough, or do you think I should invest some more money and see an out-of-network dermatologist?

August 20, 2014 at 2:35 am

Thanks for sharing. Also, cannot believe someone told you your lipstick looked sloppy. That is so rude. If your lipstick ever did in fact look “sloppy” then I guess sloppy lipstick is in because you rock it.

August 20, 2014 at 9:12 am

I agree, Chelsea! That is so very rude! And yes Cara can rock it! She rocks everything. 🙂 I love your name, by the way. So pretty! 🙂

August 21, 2014 at 4:52 am

Apparently they don’t have awesome doctors like that in CT. I saw this post yesterday and was SO EXCITED because I’ve had something similar on the tip of my nose for almost a year. I went to the dermatologist and he said he can zap it but needs to do it in 2 sessions at $200 a pop and insurance does not cover it. I’m so bummed out.

August 22, 2014 at 9:45 am

Thanks for sharing? Do you know how the procedure was coded?

August 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I thought that was a beautiful mole! I think I have that too – I seem to be getting several around my lips and it might be a coincidence, but it all started when I began using the Covergirl mink liner…is that when yours started??

Megan Thomas
    August 22, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I had a zit there that left a red mark for awhile!! it was so frustrating! it made me very self conscious of like being a trashy makeup applier haha love you!

August 25, 2014 at 9:25 am

Most insurance plans will not cover removal of these because the procedure is considered cosmetic. A good nurse aesthetician with a laser (at a medspa) can do this for a much smaller fee than a derm. Laser removal is safe and quick. I have tons of them, and my aesthetician quoted me $50-$100 to have a bunch removed every time I come in for a service. Easy peasy! As always, if you are concerned about a skin condition, go see a derm for a medical opinion.

September 1, 2014 at 9:59 am

people have sincerely made comments about your messy lipstick?
    that may be the most ridiculous thing i’ve ever heard.

i wish i could magically zap away all my acnefacedness.

Detroit Duchess
    September 5, 2014 at 6:18 am

Thank you for sharing, I have something like that, but I was sort of afraid to have them zap it because it might look worse afterwards. Now I need to find a good dermatologist.

January 18, 2015 at 3:27 pm

I have one too! It’s smallish and on the bridge of my nose. I’ve had it for a couple of years, and I absolutely hate it! I’m going to go make an appt with my dermo. Thanks!