Hair Hair Tutorials

5 Minute Beach Waves

Remember this little beauty that swept your pinterest pages for months?!

I tried to style my hair like this for a while. After many “close but no cigar” attempts, I finally  found the best way to do it as close as possible was curling it a bit tighter than this, then wearing it for a day. On day two the slept in hair is perfection! Just fluff it up and shoot it with a little texture spray.

Here is my tutorial on how I do it, which takes like 5 minutes! (the bonuses of mid length hair!)

The whole bed head idea made me think about all of the questions I get on getting your hair to look good the second (or third) day, so I’m working on that post as we speak:)

Hope you’re having a great Hump Day so far.
I’m excited because we are headed to our family reunion tomorrow and I’m so excited to see everyone and get together…even if we will be in the Las Vegas heat with this big old belly!

Hannah Robinett
    August 13, 2014 at 4:33 am

Wow I love this look, Cara! I’m curious if you have any tips or tutorials on how to still make your hair look good without using any heat. My hair has been super dry lately so I’m trying to give it a break and layoff the hairdryer and curling iron for a bit. If you have any or know of any that’d be great!

August 13, 2014 at 4:36 am

Yes!! I’m always looking for ways to skip the heat! there’s a link to a similar look to this that is heat free!

August 13, 2014 at 5:36 am

Curlformers. I put them in damp hair and go to sleep. Or wander the house for an hour or two looking weird. My hair dries super fast with them in, I guess because they are mesh and airy, and I have amazing waves or curls for 3 days with no heat.

Hannah Robinett
        August 13, 2014 at 10:18 am

Thank you, Cara! This is perfect.

August 13, 2014 at 6:33 am

Me too! I have had tremendous success creating this look with the long skinny foam rollers, like these:

I got them at Dollar Tree, 6 per pack, I use big chunks of hair (my hair is apprx 21″ long, use about 3″ sections). I use 8-12 rollers with sea salt spray and a little Rusk flexible spray and LOVE how it turns out. I use them when my hair is only barely damp (looks dry, but wouldn’t dare run a flat iron over it yet) and leave in for about 15 minutes while I do my face, or 5 minutes if I run a blow dryer over it on low. After I take them out I spray the sea salt spray upwards and use my fingers to separate pieces.

Like Cara shows here, I curl both directions, away from my face and facing forward for the crazy look.

Emerald Earrings
    August 13, 2014 at 5:24 am

Love this! I have been discovering more and more just how much I love second and third day hair! And working full time, it’s such a life saver!

August 13, 2014 at 6:17 am

I’m at work so I have to save it for later to watch, but I’m very excited about the video because I JUST cut my hair to this length yesterday! I tried styling it last night and it was more curly than wavy, so I’ll have to try this way and experiment.

Jenn E
    August 13, 2014 at 6:32 am

I would love to see more for those of us with natural wave and curl. I not-so-fondly refer to my natural wave as an Ogilvie Home Perm, and letting it air dry will result in a nightmare that I cannot tame with a mere mortal curling iron. Also, I am a back sleeper, so this morning for instance, I still have barrel curls in the front and the sides that I could play with and make work for second-day hair, but I literally wake up with a rats nest on the back of head, which is definitely not cute. Maybe I need more than hair help here…:)

Serena Mclean
    August 13, 2014 at 7:34 am

I really love your hair 🙂 It is so pretty. Thanks for showing how to get these natural beach waves. I’m always jealous of the look, but haven’t managed to make it happen for my own hair. I’m going to have to try this out.

August 13, 2014 at 7:36 am

Hey Cara!! I love this look! I’m in the awkward medium length right now and I have always loved that picture you used as inspiration! So cute! Thanks for posting!! I do have a question about the Oribe beach spray. Do you prefer that over the Oribe dry texturizing spray? I love the volume I get from the texturizing spray but would love to bring out my waves more so I don’t know if I should switch on over to the beach spray now that I’m out of my texturizing spray.

August 13, 2014 at 11:39 am

This look is gorgeous.

Lee Hersh
    August 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Effortlessly gorgeous! Totally trying this manana!

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    August 13, 2014 at 2:32 pm

This great. I don’t get around to washing my hair very often with a newborn so anything that really lasts is great.

By the way, Oribe is pronounced Or-bay. It’s not intuitive at all!

August 13, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Haha I found that out two videos too late!! Thanks for letting me know ! I hope you and that beautiful babe are doing great!!

August 13, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Oh my gosh hahah I am still seeing that photo of Alessandra all over my Pinterest! 🙂 Thanks for the great tutorial!

August 14, 2014 at 4:04 am

What a great dupe, so pretty!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

August 14, 2014 at 4:24 am

Thanks for the tutorial I’m excited to try it this weekend. Do you by any chance have a cheaper alternative to the Oribe spray you mentioned? Thanks!

August 14, 2014 at 4:50 am

I love the color and length you are sporting! Looks great!

Lynn @ The Actor's Diet
    August 14, 2014 at 7:59 am

Thanks for that video. You were adorable saying that spray name out loud.

Isamour (@Isamour)
    August 14, 2014 at 8:55 am

Omg I LOVE it. Beach waves, always looks great.

August 15, 2014 at 7:36 am

This is a nice look but I feel like the example has tons of VOLUME that your version is lacking. I really like that component of the look so I wish you would have incorporated it in your version.

hermes outlet online
    August 28, 2014 at 8:51 pm

The very best the main custom purses tend to be, these people differentiate a person in the other people. These people display your own flavor for that high quality products. There’s wide selection associated with custom totes to select from as well as every custom offers unique type of their very own. You will find large titles within purses for example Religious Dior, Fendi, Gucci as well as Ysl totes. They’re really fashionable, comfy and therefore are associated with perfect high quality. Right now, allow absolutely nothing cease a person through becoming much more fashionable along with genuine custom purses.

ysl tassel bag review
    August 28, 2014 at 11:08 pm

The campaign first made headlines in 2000 when the French fashion house plastered the image of red-headed Dahl, unclothed but for some sparkly jewels and a pair of heels and posing suggestively, on billboards around the country. Shot by Steven Meisel, Tom Ford – who was then the newly-appointed creative director of YSL – hoped the advert would put the then-ailing brand back on the fashion map whilst also giving a nod to house’s history of sexual provocation and female liberation.

Amanda Scott
    September 2, 2014 at 4:04 am

I love the idea of styling bedhead or second day hair but I have a pixie cut that gets all kinds of crazy when I sleep. I don’t suppose you have any tips for us short haired girls?

Simple on Purpose
    March 30, 2015 at 10:29 pm

[…] to the rescue and took Levi to school for me. Also, I’m on day two of trying the ‘beachy waves’ by Maskcara, but I think I ended up looking more like our ole dog Goose. Day 25 – I’ve got plaid on the […]

Week Four of #moms30for30 -
    April 1, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Everyday Beach Waves | chasing hydrangeas
    June 23, 2015 at 4:40 am

[…] Maskcara: 5 Minute Beach Waves […]

Violet Haswell
    July 9, 2015 at 11:52 pm

This is a nice look, i love your idea

lucy Swift
    September 11, 2016 at 4:53 am

wow i love that picture!