Celebrity Looks Makeup Tutorials

Katy Perry Style Glamorous Red Lip

I have been feeling like I’ve basically worn out my welcome in the no-makeup-makeup realm and I needed to do something totally glamorous to win back some balance.
So when Kohl’s Beauty invited me to do a collaboration in creating 5 different looks from their beauty counter, I was pretty excited with the challenge and really wanted to do something totally different.
I decided I’d pick my 5 favorite celebrity looks I’m lovin’ right now and recreate them.
My sister Rachel and I sat in Kohl’s garden department (on the comfiest chairs we could find) and scrolled through Pinterest for hours looking for our favorites.
When I stumbled on this beautiful Katy Perry look I instantly flashed it to Rachel, at precisely the same time she was lifting her phone up to show me THE EXACT SAME PHOTO!
katyperry copy
In other words…this tutorial was pretty much fated into existence.

What I used

(I didn’t film the foundation application but I started with Lorac Natural Performance in Np2 Light)
Lorac Take a  Brow in Dark Brown
Lorac Pro Palette 2
Lorac Black Eyeliner
Elle Mascara
Eylure Naturalites Double Lashes
The Balm Instain Cheek Blush in Toile
Lorac Brow Liner in Dark Brown
The Balm Lipstick in Mia Moore

Here’s the catalog as well:)

I hope you love it!

July 30, 2014 at 4:16 am

I have always strived to pair a red lip with some sorta smokey eye and here it is!! Amazing tutorial Cara love it! Definitely going to try this on the weekend! Will post a pic and tag you!! 😀

July 30, 2014 at 4:49 am

Love the look, the red is geourgous! I’ve been trying to find a red that would work with my olive skin and dark features! This is beautiful!

July 30, 2014 at 5:08 am

wooooo so excited to see something different!!! i mean, no-makeup-makeup will always be in style, but variety is 100% the spice of life. also, obsessed with that lipstick shade.

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    July 30, 2014 at 6:08 am

Love it!

Emerald Earrings
    July 30, 2014 at 6:09 am

I’m afraid I’m far too guilty of wearing a red lip everywhere. Work, church, grocery shopping, working out, lol. I just feel so glamorous with it on!

I posted my very first makeover blog post yesterday! I’d be so thrilled to hear your thoughts Cara!

July 30, 2014 at 8:25 am

this had me cracking up!! checked out your blog – super cute!

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    July 30, 2014 at 6:13 am

I love this! I love how you adapted it. It’s still very dramatic but also very wearable.

If you could only have one would you get the Lorac Pro 1 or 2? I have the Naked 2 but I think I’m about to splurge on another palette. They’re so tempting!

July 30, 2014 at 8:13 am

I’m still a sucker for the lorac one! If I could only have one or would be a no brainer for me! But the lorac two would be a bigger departure from the naked 2 that you already have…. I know palettes are my weakness!

July 30, 2014 at 6:29 am

Beautiful! I’m usually intimidated by a red lip, but you make it look so simple 😉 Love the bright color on you!

July 30, 2014 at 6:40 am

Love it! Red lips are my favorite!

July 30, 2014 at 6:40 am

You did such a great job, I love this look!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

July 30, 2014 at 7:03 am

ahh i love this! i’m so afraid of red lipstick but you make it look not so intimidating. as always! i love you cara!

Bee Nguyen
    July 30, 2014 at 7:27 am

Great tutorial! Love a red lip.

Xx Bee

Emily Lowery
    July 30, 2014 at 7:36 am

Love this tutorial. For me, you cannot beat a red lip xo

EmsAlice // Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

July 30, 2014 at 7:37 am

I have two main questions. First, why did you not use Eylure Katy Perry lashes? Kohls appears sell a boat-load of different “Katy Perry” lashes, so I’m curious.
    (I found eight different Eylure “Katy Perry” lashes at Khols.com)

Second, why did you choose such a dark brown color for the brow pencil you used to line your lips instead of something lighter? Also, I noticed that LORAC PRO has an Auburn brow pencil – although I haven’t seen it in person, it looks like it has a reddish undertone. So, a supplemental question would be why didn’t you use the one with the red undertone since you were applying it to your lips?

Can’t wait for the Kate Middleton tutorial next week!!

July 30, 2014 at 8:05 am

Haha good question! I actually tried a few different Katy Perry lashes when I did this look (because that was the obvious choice!) but none of them captured this look as well as the non katy perry ones I ended up using. Second I wanted to contour the lip a bit and darken up the edges of the red which is why I chose the dark brown pencil. Sometimes I even use black pencils with red lips so they have dimension:) I know it’s a little weird but I think it looks pretty!

Ann Marie
    July 30, 2014 at 7:48 am

I am OBSESSED with Kate Middleton! I tried to be a bride just like her for my wedding! Can’t wait ti’ll next week!

July 30, 2014 at 8:27 am

So fun. Red “lipstick” really pushes me out of my comfort zone. I wore red (stila in beso) for 4th of july and when USA played in world cup. I got so many compliments. I still felt a little uncomfortable but I was wearing a matte so its way different from the glosses I normally wear.

July 30, 2014 at 8:31 am

Cara, if I use a dark eyebrow pencil to outline my small mouth and lips, will it emphasize their size? I don’t want to draw attention to how small they are. Thanks.

July 30, 2014 at 9:36 am

Lovely, as always! I just learned this this other day: TOILE is pronounced “twahl,” rhymes with “wall.” It’s a type of French fabric: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toile

Jessica Johnston
    July 30, 2014 at 9:54 am

Love the red lip. You are a genius!

July 30, 2014 at 9:58 am

Glam suits you! I love you with bold lips!

Sydney Creekmore
    July 30, 2014 at 10:26 am

I would love if you would do a post on a few everyday looks you can do with the first Lorac palette! Maybe as part of eyeshadow school? I bought it on your recommendation but I’m having a hard time figuring out how to wear it.

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
      July 30, 2014 at 12:33 pm

If you plug “Lorac” into the search box on the left it will pull up the Monday makeovers where she’s used that palette. That should give you a start. 🙂

July 30, 2014 at 11:32 am

I thought that lip color was Ruby Woo at first. 🙂 Shows what I know! But I love this look–so easy!

July 30, 2014 at 11:36 am

Oh geez…they don’t sell MAC at Kohls…duh. HA!!

Ashley H
    July 30, 2014 at 12:02 pm

This is such a gorgeous dramatic look. Love it!
    I can’t wait for Kate Middleton!!! There is not enough exclamation points to show my excitement!!!!! She’s my style icon!!!!

Jessica Pierson
    July 30, 2014 at 12:51 pm

You rock as always!! I have never thought to use an eyeliner as a lip liner, especially something that is SUCH a different color. I just got Bite’s nude colored lip liner and have been playing with it, but its already broken once and I’ve only used it a very few times. So I will play around with all the eyeliners I have and see what I can come up with!!

Can’t wait for Kate MIddleton, but this one was awesome. Another suggestion for you? Rihanna make up. She isn’t my favorite, but she has some gorgeous make up sometimes!

Beauty Vanity
    July 30, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Gorgeous, that red is amazing!

xx Alyson
    Beauty Vanity

Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog
    July 30, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I LOVE a bold red lip. I struggle with finding the right “red” for me though.

July 30, 2014 at 8:19 pm

So so so very happy to see you do something different! I’m going to have to try this look out in New Orleans this weekend on my girls’ trip!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    July 30, 2014 at 8:49 pm

This look is amazing! I LOVE the bold, red lip! I can’t wait to try it out myself 🙂

July 31, 2014 at 1:31 am

Your hair is looking so healthy! What are you doing to it?!

July 31, 2014 at 6:28 am

THANK YOU for changing it up a bit!

August 2, 2014 at 1:59 am

I love love love your background in this video! Love how light And white it is with the simple white tufted couch. It is really lovely!

August 2, 2014 at 3:56 pm

wowza Momma!!!….now this is a HOT look for you! I have really thin lips so it doesn’t work for me. =(

Vanessa Key
    August 9, 2014 at 11:15 am

Uuu! My lately obsession! Red lip colors! Love it love it!
    Red is the best lip color. We just need to find the right red lipstick and it will suit us from morning till night 🙂

Mirenesse Cosmetics