Before & Afters Makeup

Makeover Monday – Joni

~Good heck! So sorry I have had some seriously fun internet issues since I moved but I’m hoping they are all worked out now!
The text wouldn’t load for me all day today so I am finally thinking it’s going to work~
Everyone meet this VERY beautiful woman named Joni.
Her whole everything is pretty darn gorgeous but I have to say my green eyed monster was definitely rearing it’s head at her brows! Just beautiful!
It might be the 1000 degree heat to blame but I really wanted to give her a sun kissed glow.
She has gorgeous fair skin so I kinda wish I was able to do two full looks on her cause the options are just endless!

What I did:
First I used the Tomas Spray for a tanned glow.
After I let that dry a bit I layered on some Milk for some silky moisture and then let that sink it as well.
For her brows you might be shocked to know that I used old trusty. Brun. Which doesn’t look even remotely the same color in the compact as it does on her skin. One thing that I’ve notice a lot of people do with redhead eyebrows is get a red toned brow color. I find for natural reds that’s generally unnecessary. They have plenty of warm pigment in their own skin to warm up an ashy brown to the perfect color. If I were to have used a warmer color on her brows it would have looks too orange and not natural.
Her green eyes are so gorgeous on their own I just wanted to define them a bit and let em shine! I used Pewter from the Lorac Pro Palette and the Windshield Wiper shadow Technique on her lids.
Then I lined her top lash line and bottom in the outer corners very lightly with MAC Teddy, which is a shimmery dark brown liner.
And few coats of mascara to her lashes.
For her skin I used IIID Foundation in Dark to HAC and cover and the Pink Grapefruit blush.
I lined her lips with Beautique lip pencil in natural and filled them with Boxom Gloss in Boo-Ya.

July 28, 2014 at 4:08 am

I love this realistic every day look… I am a teacher, and I hate looking too over- done

July 28, 2014 at 5:20 am

Same here! I want to look polished and pretty but not too “glamour-queen.” This look is great, and I appreciate that a fellow ginger-top is the subject of this make over 🙂

Nathalie Blais
    July 28, 2014 at 4:13 am

I think Joni looked so much younger and healthier before the makeup application. It is the first time I am not wowed by a Monday Makeover.

You did an awesome job with the eyes and brows. Joni is absolutely gorgeous, look at that radiant skin! I don’t think it needed to be darkened and covered so much..

Amber Wave
      July 28, 2014 at 4:29 am

I completely disagree; the first photo makes her look a little unhealthy while the second gives your a healthy and youthful glow. She just looks fresh faced and beaming with beauty and happiness.

July 28, 2014 at 6:40 am

I agree with amber. She has a heathy glow in the after picture that she doesn’t have in the before and it makes her look fresh, young and more awake.

Carrie F.
        July 28, 2014 at 7:50 am

Fair skin is beautiful and healthy! I think she looks great in the before; she doesn’t look unhealthy at all.

July 28, 2014 at 8:07 am

Of course fair skin is beautiful, but it’s summer, so why not go for a tanned look? This is just ONE way in which beautiful Joni could be made over. I’m sure Cara could have done a dozen more different looks on her, but they just chose a healthy-tan one for today. I personally love it. Good job again, Cara! xoxo

July 28, 2014 at 11:03 am

I apologize for upsetting everyone with my “unhealthy” comment. I think fair skin is beautiful as well (ie Snow White). I was actually referring to how her eyes were brightened with a little maskara and the way her skin looks dewy and highlighted; almost as though she was emitting radiance from within. She is beautiful regardless of makeup; Cara (AS ALWAYS) truly enhanced her features to make her appear glamorous without overdoing it.

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
      July 28, 2014 at 7:09 am

I’m inclined to agree. The eyes and brows look fantastic but I don’t think she needed such a heavy hand on the rest of her face.

July 28, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Have to say, I agree with you Nathalie, but for different reasons. While the technique is good, the brows for me in the after make her look angry. I also think her lips are just washed out. Something with more color to differentiate her lips from her gums would’ve looked better to me.

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    July 28, 2014 at 4:18 am

She looks great!

July 28, 2014 at 4:30 am

Love Joni’s eye definition and her full lips! Her eyes really pop and her eye color is beautifully enhanced. Also her complexion looks so warm and radiant. Need instructions on how to achieve this look (especially the lips)! Nice makeover!!! ;D

July 28, 2014 at 4:43 am

I am always looking forward to the Monday Makeover 🙂 Joni looks great!!

July 28, 2014 at 4:52 am

Amazing! She looks a lot younger with makeup on than the naked face.

July 28, 2014 at 5:23 am

Am I missing the usual commentary and product list? I don’t see it on my screen. I would love to know how this look was achieved. Thanks, Cara, for all you do!

July 28, 2014 at 8:30 am

Thank you! So sorry I am having some site issues and my text isn’t loading! Will fix ASAP!

July 28, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Muchas gracias! Just saw your reply above. Love your work and your spirit which shines through every time I read your posts! Hope you are developing a thick skin to ward off the nasties!

July 28, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Thanks, Cara! Sorry you are having site issues. Thanks for your prompt reply and thanks again for your hard work to bring us all these great tips and tricks! I love your site!

July 28, 2014 at 5:28 am

I don’t see it either.

July 28, 2014 at 5:34 am

No how to here either?

July 28, 2014 at 5:45 am

She looks great!

July 28, 2014 at 5:53 am

Lovely!!! This look is so beautiful!!! I can’t see the how to and makeup list though.

July 28, 2014 at 12:44 pm

How do we see the process and makeup list? Love, love, love the after-glowing, energetic, lively!

July 28, 2014 at 5:56 am

Hey Cara! This is beautiful as always! I’d love to see if you’d do something with fun colors and how it would look on women of different age groups! That will be very interesting and inspirational as well! 🙂

July 28, 2014 at 5:58 am

hi cara, we are missing the process! products, steps, etc… otherwise i’d be quick to assume it’s the usual 3d foundation, shortcake blush, mac brun, and white russian lipgloss.

Emerald Earrings
    July 28, 2014 at 6:41 am

Pretty as always!

July 28, 2014 at 7:21 am

Beautiful, per usual!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    July 28, 2014 at 7:23 am

You are seriously a miracle worker with makeup! She looks so flawless! And I love love love her hair color. She is beautiful before, but you totally brought out all of those gorgeous features with your makeup application 🙂 I wish I lived closer so you could do my makeup. Are you still accepting people for makeovers?

July 28, 2014 at 8:15 am

Looks amazing! Your blog is so inspirational and always gives me such great ideas 🙂

Carrie F.
    July 28, 2014 at 8:23 am

She looks beautiful, Cara! I love her eye makeup! I think the HAC seems a little dark, but maybe that’s what Joni wanted or you wanted to show us how to make fair skin look more sun-kissed.

A few people have mentioned that she looks unhealthy in the before and, although I am sure they meant no harm, that it the very kind of thinking that makes many pale girls feel like there is something wrong with their natural skin color. Pale skin is just another lovely shade that lovely ladies come in 🙂

July 28, 2014 at 8:59 am

I agree with you and the others about the “unhealthy” comment. Actually, pale skin is much healthier than tanned! I also agree with another commenter that I would love to see the pale skin remain, instead of darkening it. Some of us are not interested in having a dark face with a pale body! I do admit, as a pale girl myself, that when I self-tan, it’s much easier to choose colors and conceal and blend. But this pretty lady is blessed that she didn’t have anything to conceal!

July 28, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I have to agree as well. I love my pale skin, and I also find it rather annoying when people say that pale skin looks sickly; It would be like saying that anyone with a tan is orange. While I appreciate that Cara was going to a nice summer glow (maybe that’s what Joni wanted) it would have been nice to see her keep the pale skin and just even it out a bit so that it looked more porcelain. As a pale skinned girl myself I have absolutely no desire to be tanned or look darker. To me tan does not equal healthy or glowy ( sp?), it’s just tan.
      I loved the rest of the look.

July 28, 2014 at 4:58 pm

This is an interesting point, and I agree that seeing Joni’s makeover without the summer glow would have been my preference since I am also someone with pale skin…oddly enough, though, makeup tends to go pink on me (I have auburn hair and oily skin). I could never imagine putting self-tanner or bronzer on my face (although I have used it on my legs). My neck is so white that I’d have to put bronzer on my neck, too, then I’d worry that it would rub off on my clothes. Too complicated for everyday, IMO.

July 28, 2014 at 8:51 am

She is so pretty (in the Before and Afters)! Beautiful eyes and hair…I love the way you enhance women’s best features.

July 28, 2014 at 9:09 am

Her pretty eyes look absolutely stunning in the makeover picture. They brighten up her entire look. Naturally beautiful hair, too.

susan keller
    July 28, 2014 at 9:33 am

Your skill is not debatable Cara, (totally talented) but I’m a fair skinned girl, and Im always looking for examples that help me celebrate my skin color….wish I could have found one here.
    I mean, when do you ever see Mediterranean complexions being made more fair?? So, why are we always being tanned up? #whitegirlproblems

July 28, 2014 at 9:47 am

What products did you use on her eyebrows? I am a fellow redhead and can never find the perfect eyebrow filler.

Mindy G
      July 28, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I am also a redhead, with very pale brows almost blondish. I like to use Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Caramel, or if I opt for eyebrow pencil I use Anastasia Perfect Brow Pencil in used to be called Strawburn a couple years ago but now I think it is the Caramel color pencil(just looking off Sephora’s website)

July 28, 2014 at 9:48 am

Thanks so much!!! I loved it. I enjoyed learning different ways to do makeup for different occasions.

July 28, 2014 at 10:19 am

What products did you use…I love it!

July 28, 2014 at 10:41 am

Beautiful subject! Beautiful job!

Kelly Byrne
    July 28, 2014 at 10:44 am

A simple and beautiful effect !

Eli m
    July 28, 2014 at 11:37 am

WOW!!!!!! She looks FANTASTIC!!!! You gave her that perfect polished look! You can tell how happy she is with her makeover..she’s just beaming in the after photo! PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT!!!!!

July 28, 2014 at 11:56 am

Great look, just wish the “after” look showed her hair with more volume.

July 28, 2014 at 12:05 pm

This one has thrown me for a loop… I might be ignorant on contouring, but I just think it’s too much here? Her face in the before is so bright and glowing, and then the contouring just darkened her face way to much in my opinion. I don’t know…probably my ignorance again. It’s a cool look, but I would think a goal would be to embrace the natural brightness in her skin.

July 28, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I do LOVE her eyes! Wow.

July 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Beautiful job! I would love for you to do a makeover on me…..I live in vegas! Lol

July 28, 2014 at 2:17 pm

She is absolutely beautiful, both before and after. Cara, you did an amazing job enhancing her features, and adding a little pizazz to her already lovely canvas.

July 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Wow! Amazing transformation. She looks more youthful in the second photo. The first looks like her mother. Lol!

July 28, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Hi Cara,
    I so look forward to these makeovers! I just have a question about choosing the IIID foundation color.
    I would have thought that with her being fair skinned that you would go with the light pack. I see you used the dark. I just wondered how you decide which palette to use for us newbies to HAC.
    Thanks for all your wonderful tips!

July 30, 2014 at 7:43 am

I was wondering the same exact thing!!

July 28, 2014 at 4:58 pm

She looks beautiful in both. It’s important to realize that the “Before” picture is posted as a reference for the makeover, not for others to comment with their negative opinions on someone’s appearance. Not sure most of us would be brave enough to have a no-makeup picture of ourselves on the internet. I love her confidence!

July 28, 2014 at 7:48 pm

BINGO!!!! You said it!!!! I totally agree!!!! She is beautiful in BOTH pictures!!!!! Remember folks, how you pose your comments reflects your inner beauty. Beauty is as beauty does.

July 28, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Very pretty and natural looking…excellent job 🙂

July 28, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Yeesh, much too heavy on this lady’s beautiful skin. I agree with others, lay off the self tanner & embrace your models’ natural skin tone sometimes. Her eye makeup & brows look spectacular, but she has really lovely, fresh, clear skin – show that off. Let’s see one that is a little lighter (in skin tone and in heaviness of coverage)??

July 28, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Baffled by the muting of the model’s incredible skin tone. PUT THE SPRAY TANNER DOWN! Her eyes, hair and skin are this beautiful woman’s defining attributes. Let’s celebrate them all. Sorry Cara, I know you work hard for your reader’s and things are busy but I was pretty shocked.

July 28, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Did you consider that maybe the model might have requested a certain look?

Ashley H
    July 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Super gorgeous look! Her eyes are glowing and her brows look perfect! I don’t love the tanned look as much as her fabulous natural fair skin, but it still looks nice. Fabulous makeover Monday!

July 28, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Cara, what I like almost the same amount as I do the actual makeup is that you are so complimentary of your client in every write up! You really do see the best in everyone before you do your thing!

JuliaBobbin (@JuliaBobbin)
    July 28, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Beautiful! The makeup is perfect and really accentuates her natural beauty. Well done again!

July 29, 2014 at 5:14 am

I think Joni is gorgeous and you did a beautiful job enhancing her features yet not looking overly done. Very sexy actually, great date night look for her or even day time. I hope you’ll bring Joni back for future Monday Makeover’s since she has such a great palette to work with!

I was curious that you said you used the Dark IIID on her, I would have thought for sure on a fair skin face you would have used light. This now has me wondering what color I would need as you are out of stock on medium if dark could also work for me, hmm.

Great job! Joni you look stunning!

July 29, 2014 at 5:47 am

Please embrace the pale! Snowflake ladies need some instruction and love (and I am one of them)!

Keely Chisholm
    July 29, 2014 at 9:59 am

wow! unbelievable! I wish you could this for me!!!

July 29, 2014 at 10:29 am

I like how natural this is! Very pretty lady.

July 29, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Love the brow tip!

July 29, 2014 at 9:45 pm

July 30, 2014 at 1:55 am

Completely gorgeous either way. I love her no-makeup look and I also love the makeover. Her hair colour is stunning!

July 30, 2014 at 5:35 am

She’s beautiful, in both the before and after. However, I wish you’d stop tanning the fair skinned ladies every time. Fair skin is gorgeous!

July 30, 2014 at 9:38 am

Count me in as someone else who’d like to see a fair skin makeover without spray tan. Some of us embrace the pale. I know it’s easier to hide imperfections with a spray tan on top, but our natural fair skin is just as beautiful!

July 30, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I second your observation that imperfections are so obvious on fair skin!! Every time I get a break out, it’s just stands out like nobody’s business, especially since I have no freckles, and then scars, no matter how careful I am 😛 But I would rather retain my beautiful porcelain skin and have to work harder at concealing spots than change my natural skin tone…

July 31, 2014 at 8:00 am

Julianne Moore should be worried… :))

Andrea Reeve
    July 31, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Geesh… you really know how to make people look good! I’m an out of towner, but will be in Utah next week. If you need anyone else to “make over”… seriously… I’m totally in.

September 3, 2014 at 10:38 am

No doubt she’s beautiful either way, but (being a fellow fair skinned red-head) I was saddened to see the 1st thing you did was to make her appear to have a tan. I think it would have been nice to see her made over without making her appear to have a tan. Maybe next time.

21 Photos That Demonstrate The Power Of Makeup – CookieCoCo
    January 19, 2015 at 7:23 pm

[…] […]

July 8, 2015 at 11:58 am

Amazing! I thought ‘fake’ eyelashes, but no. A little bit of makeup and she looks completely different!

21 Fotos, die die Macht von Make-up zu demonstrieren. | CookieCoCo Deutschland