Eyeshadow School Makeup

Eyeshadow School: Windshield Wiper

Today’s shadow school technique is a pretty popular one.
You could just do this every time you did your makeup and you’d pretty much be good to go.
It cannot be screwed up. It is unscrewupable.

The Windshield Wiper. Every eye shadow technique simplified! So easy!!
Photos by Jessica Janae Photography

Step One: Cover the entire lid (from lash to brow) with a shadow primer. I used MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre because I wanted to get a really clean base color.
You could also use a light color of shadow instead if you like, I prefer a creme because it looks more natural to me.

Step two: Use a crease brush (or for a softer look you can use a fluffier brush) and dip into a mid tone shadow- MAC Soft Brown Pictured (or pretty much any shadow that is darker than your eyelid – beginners should start with something neutral)

Step Three: Find the hallow area between your eyeball and your brown bone. Put your brush in that hallow and just wipe back and forth (much like a windshield wiper) until it’s blended to your liking.

Step Four: Do all of the other millions of things you have on your to do list! Cause your shadow is DONE!

Why I love it: It creates depth to the eye making it look BIGGER and frames your eyeball which is especially great when you use a color that makes your eye color pop.
Pair it with: Just about any other makeup style you want. Winged liner, heavy liner, no liner….it all looks great!
Who looks fabulous in it: Pretty much everyone. To women who already have a very prominent crease and/or deep set eyes I would try it first with a very light color, the dark colors might over accentuate too much:)

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    July 23, 2014 at 6:16 am

I actually found this look difficult until I bought the proper brush. I always ended up with either a harsh line or a wash of shadow. That contouring brush just made a mess on my lids. I’ve got a tapered crease brush from Sephora that I love. (I think you recommended it.)

July 23, 2014 at 6:31 am

when you taught this at the pinners conference it basically changed my life!! haha. my eyeshadow has never been the same. i just love you! xx

Emerald Earrings
    July 23, 2014 at 7:21 am

I’m wearing this look today, definitely one of my go-to’s 🙂

On a side note – I’ve had my hair dark for years, although it’s currently highlighted, and I’m debating either going even lighter or going to near-black again. I know you’ve been both and know the struggle all too well! So I’m dying for some advice if you have some!

Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog
    July 23, 2014 at 7:25 am

I’m glad to see these step by step images…because it makes me feel like I’m kind of doing it right. Yay! It’s so much easier to follow this way!

July 23, 2014 at 7:26 am

This is so helpful, thank you!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

July 23, 2014 at 7:27 am

If only I has a crease! (Hooded lid girl here.)

Ashley Waterstradt
      July 24, 2014 at 7:04 am

No need for an actual “crease” 🙂 simply close your eye and lightly touch your lid. That spot above your eyeball (but below your brow) is the hollow. It may seem weird at first, but apply your shadow there. Start lightly, build the color slowly. ^_^ have fun!

October 22, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

July 23, 2014 at 8:06 am

This might change my life. Seriously.
    I love that you are starting from the basic basics, and showing techniques and giving instructions that might seem, “duh, obvious” but to makeup challenged folks like myself, that is where we need the help. Once we learn these basics and build our makeup doing confidence, we can work our way into the more tricky techniques. Thank you, thank you! *MUAH*

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    July 23, 2014 at 8:11 am

I love this! It really does look so simple and I think I can pull it off without messing it up 🙂 I will just make sure I use a decent brush.

July 23, 2014 at 8:31 am

Cara- I love your ‘back to basic’ posts. I’m 31 years old and new to the make up game I feel like I’ve missed 15 of the most important years on learning how to properly use and apply makeup. THANK YOU!!

July 23, 2014 at 8:33 am

Would your skin tone influence your shadow primer? The Mac Ochre color is pretty yellow looking to me, and I don’t know if that would go with my cool/pink/ivory skin tone. Could you suggest an alternate color? Thanks!

July 23, 2014 at 9:09 am

Yes!! If you are more in the pink time try MAC Painterly. In fact I think that should be added to the post! Thank you for bringing that up!

July 23, 2014 at 11:30 am

Cara, could you also list some powder eyeshadow primers in a couple skin tone shades? Or does it have to be a creme based shadow? Thanks much!

July 23, 2014 at 8:35 am

This is great, except for those ladies who have really deep, dark creases. When I’ve tried this in the past, I look like one of those creepy porcelain dolls with the roll-back eyes. Not cute. But still a great technique for most lovely-eyes ladies 🙂
    Love this series, Cara!!!!

July 23, 2014 at 9:20 am

the windshield wiper is my go-to

July 23, 2014 at 9:40 am

I do this every day 🙂

July 23, 2014 at 10:08 am

Cara what if you have hooded lids?

July 23, 2014 at 10:12 am

I actually did this technique in hooded lids yesterday! Still totally do able just use a fluffier brush and blend well. There’s still a hallow between your eyeball and brow bone even if it’s padded a bit!

Beauty Vanity
    July 23, 2014 at 10:22 am

This is the first step in my eyeshadow routine, it’s such a great starting point to any eyeshadow look.

xx Alyson
    Beauty Vanity

July 23, 2014 at 10:52 am

I feel like I already know a fair bit about eyeshadow but I am LOVINGGG this series so far. I think it’s great for everyone, not just beginners. It’s so great to look back on the basics and make sure our technique is completely correct. Thank you Cara, never stop!

July 23, 2014 at 10:53 am

True that’s a great point! Maybe you could include something for darker skinned women?? I’m not even sure what I would recommend for that, no colours come to mind unfortunately!!

July 23, 2014 at 10:54 am

July 23, 2014 at 11:51 am

I love this series. Thank you so much. I love that you are starting off with the basics.

July 23, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Great post! I like how you named each technique and provided a diagram. This is probably one of your best series yet! Please keep them coming!

Whovian Gran
    July 23, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I love the basic techniques and the pics of each step. Thank you so much!

July 23, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I think my eyes are just not made for eyeshadow. I have so much space between my crease and my eyebrows. When I open my eyes you can’t even see the eyeshadow either. 🙁 So I keep applying more and more and then it just looks silly. *sigh*

July 23, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I love the lipstick color. What are you wearing?

July 23, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Thank you! Question….I am having to give up my eyelash extensions. Do you wear false lashes every day??? I hate the gray mascara smudge under my eyes.

July 23, 2014 at 4:39 pm

So helpful!!! Thanks!

July 23, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Very Pretty
    L x

July 24, 2014 at 4:19 am

I first learned this in a Mally video and have been doing it ever since! It’s an awesome method. Thanks for sharing!

July 24, 2014 at 5:53 am

I love the step by step process. Seems so easy and yet I always end up with very visible shadow towards the inner crease and not so much towards the outer crease. I start from the outside, but it still ends up looking too dark. Maybe it’s my eye shape?

July 24, 2014 at 7:14 am

Loved your pics, great dising!

July 24, 2014 at 7:35 am

Love this series also. This one is pretty much the only one I do. Im excited to see what else awaits me! Thank you

Kristi Squier
    July 25, 2014 at 12:28 pm

This literally changed the way my eyes looked! I have been a one color eye shadow girl since I started wearing make up. I can’t wait to see what else there is to learn about eye shadow!!

Links da Semana | Não Nasci Diva
    July 28, 2014 at 8:13 am

[…] Cara fez um post superbásico: a escola de sombras – como […]

Liz Diaz
    July 28, 2014 at 11:12 am

Love this series!! A little trick that I do when on the run is just using bronzer instead of a eye shadow 🙂

Makeover Monday – Joni | Maskcara
    July 28, 2014 at 4:19 pm

[…] just wanted to define them a bit and let em shine! I used Pewter from the Lorac Pro Palette and the Windshield Wiper shadow Technique on her lids. Then I lined her top lash line and bottom in the outer corners very […]

August 6, 2014 at 9:17 am

I love this eye shadow school idea – when is the next installment coming??

Maskcara | Teen Makeup: Do’s & Don’ts
    August 14, 2015 at 4:31 pm

[…] Eyes Start simple. For your eye shadow This tutorial on the EASIEST and possibly prettiest eye shadow technique is a perfect place to begin. I also love […]