Tips & Tricks

Oil Pulling- At home teeth whitening

Me and my color bloggers group are on it again (for our seasonal color challenge) and this time the pick was Yellow….. colorchallengenew

Probably 15 years ago I was sitting in the high school auditorium listening to a motivational speaker talk about his own high school experience. When he explained that he would have been pretty cool if not for two major insecurities, a unibrow and yellow teeth. I was flabbergasted. I honestly couldn’t tell you anything else he said. I couldn’t even get past it.

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU WERE A WAX AND A WHITE STRIP AWAY FROM HIGH SCHOOL HAPPINESS AND NO ONE TOLD YOU!?
It’s like in “She’s All That” Who knew that she was an outfit change and a haircut away from super school stardom? (For the record I liked her better before!)

Anyway…I’m getting off course, what I’m leading up to here is a teeth whitening (which is kind of the opposite of yellow I suppose but, go with it:) trick that I’ve heard a lot before but just recently became a believer in.

oilpulling

A few weeks ago when my sister came over I got one look at her pearly whites and had to know what she’d been doing. The answer surprised me, she said she’d been swishing (and then spitting out!) with hydrogen peroxide 3 times a week.
So I actually had originally posted about that…but then some of my readers lead me to some pretty compelling info about how bad that is for you…OOOPS! Some of them told me about another option which is much safer called oil pulling.
Where you swish around a teaspoon of coconut oil in your mouth for about 15-20 minutes. Not only does it remove plaque and help whiten, it also gets rid of unwanted bacteria!
I’m actually doing ir right now, but since I wanted to fix this ASAP I don’t have my results yet! haha will update soon:)

Be sure to check out the rest of these amazing Yellow ideas:

PS thanks you for all of your questions on Eyeshadow School! You gave me SO much more material to work on and made me even more excited for this series!

PPS So sorry I haven’t been more active on comments the last week or so, I promise to catch up I’ve just been so bogged down with all the moving and packing but the light at the end of the tunnel is near!
signature

Image Map

47 Comments

FLAVIA
    July 10, 2014 at 4:39 am

Cara, leave hydrogen peroxide to professionals! Otherwise you will ruin your own teeth once and for all! Why are you giving this kind of advice? Sorry but this is completely wrong, teeth whitening is a very serious thing!

Cara
      July 10, 2014 at 8:57 am

Oh no! I looked it up and didn’t see anything bad, I guess I didn’t look hard enough! I’ll fix it! Thank you for your help!

Laine
        July 12, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I never heard it was bad for your teeth. My ear nose and throat doctor actually recommended I gargle 1/2 water 1/2 hydrogen peroxide for a cleaner mouth. I’m confused!

Kelly
    July 10, 2014 at 4:52 am

Hydrogen peroxide can also kill healthy tissue in your mouth if used too often. Ask any dentist.

Cara
      July 10, 2014 at 9:07 am

Thank you! I ammended the post, don’t want to be giving bad advice!

Danielle
    July 10, 2014 at 5:10 am

My dentist actually told me to do this several years ago and every time I see him he inquires if I’m still doing it. His advice, though, was to only do it once a week.

Cara
      July 10, 2014 at 9:08 am

Do you continue to do it?

[email protected]
    July 10, 2014 at 5:48 am

Have you looked into oil pulling ?? Sesame or coconut- fascinating stuff!

Cara
      July 10, 2014 at 9:08 am

Yes! Now I have! Thank you for the advice!

Terri
    July 10, 2014 at 5:54 am

I agree that this is not good advice (sorry Cara!!)
    Check out these answers from dentists on the subject :http://www.realself.com/question/safe-swish-hydrogen-peroxide-whiten-teeth

Cara
      July 10, 2014 at 9:09 am

Terri! Thank you so much for helping me out! I didn’t do enough research before I posted this so I appreciate people like you letting me know. I never want to give bad advice so I updated the post! Thank you!

April moyle
    July 10, 2014 at 6:20 am

I’m a dental hygienist and I always urge my patients to stop using hydrogen peroxide in their mouths. It can disrupt the normal flora of your mouth and the oxidation can alter the RNA of your cells, causing damage. If you want a cheap way to whiten try a toothpaste like Colgate optic white or try crest white strips. I’m my opinion, the most effective way and safest way to bleach the teeth is getting whitening trays made at your dentist office and doing home bleaching.

Cara
      July 10, 2014 at 9:10 am

Thanks April! I am so grateful for you help! The post has been updated:)

April
        July 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I have tried oil pulling with coconut oil since some of my patients were doing it. I personally did not see any amazing results except after spitting it out I had all sorts of nastiness junk coming out of my throat which made me feel like it really is pulling out toxins. I have patients that swear by oil pulling. Make sure u do it on an empty stomach, it can make some people sick until you get used to it! Glad you changed the post!

Alexis
          July 10, 2014 at 9:08 pm

As a dental hygiene student (graduating in August), we are always talking about the new “trends” in dentistry. Here’s my 2 cents: would I rather swish my mouth with oil for 20 minutes, or wear professionally made whitening trays for 10-20 minutes and spend 2 minutes flossing? Personally, I would rather do something that has a lot of solid research behind it — flossing and professionally made whitening trays are the way to go.

Ashley H
      July 11, 2014 at 10:51 am

I just bought a whitening mouthwash (listerine) that contains hydrogen peroxide. Is that safe?

Susan
    July 10, 2014 at 8:07 am

The peroxide is way too harsh in my opinion. I now use the oil pulling method. I put a tablespoon of coconut oil on a spoon and put it in my mouth. I swish and pull it between my teeth for about 15 to 20 minutes. I was doing it every day for a few weeks but now do it a few times a week.

Spit it out in the trash because I think spitting it out in the shower or sink would clog up after a bit of time.

I have no plaque on my teeth and they are super white. Google oil pulling and see! Much safer than peroxide and way more safer if you’re pregnant!

Cara
      July 10, 2014 at 9:12 am

Thank you so much Susan! I am pulling oil as we speak! And I hope you don’t mind me using your idea to change up the post!

Susan
        July 11, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I’m glad that you posted this because it gives us the opportunity to share natural methods with each other. I think the oil pulling is best for us and especially for pregnant moms like you! You can even rub coconut oil on your baby to keep the skin healthy!

Keep us posted on the oil pulling. Do you like it so far? I love it!

Shiloh Barkley, RDH
      July 10, 2014 at 9:53 am

I promise. There is plaque on your teeth.

Susan
        July 11, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I disagree.
        I used to pick the dried plaque from behind my teeth and since I’ve been doing the oil pulling, there isn’t anything to pick at!

My friends also see the same thing and they love the fresh clean feeling after brushing.

If you haven’t tried it, give it a try!

Shiloh Barkley, RDH
    July 10, 2014 at 9:52 am

I’m a dental hygienist in NC and swishing with hydrogen peroxide can be very irritating to your gums and cheeks. Stick with a product that’s ADA approved for whitening. My advice to all my patients is if there’s something you’d like to try over-the-counter, go for it. I cannot guarantee any whitening will work for you. Some people respond well to whitening, some don’t. As for the baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, oil pulling advocates, IM(professional)O, people will do anything so they don’t have to floss.

Kelly
      July 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

I oil pull every day because it compliments my oral hygiene. It absolutely doesn’t take the place of brushing & flossing. I don’t think anyone says it does. I have excellent oral hygiene habits and my dentist has commented several times that my teeth look whiter since I have started oil pulling.

Shiloh Barkley, RDH
    July 10, 2014 at 9:56 am

Also, Cara you really shouldn’t be giving his kind of advice out. You don’t want to get sued. Stick to the cosmetics.

kimt801
    July 10, 2014 at 10:25 am

I read about this somewhere and googled it. Many positive sites about it. I ordered from Amazon and it works very well.

Alexandria
    July 10, 2014 at 10:26 am

Everyone, in my opinion, needs to calm down. She fixed the post. She was sweet and gracious to all of your comments and some of you were actually really harsh. She’s not claiming to be an expert, she’s just sharing something that worked for someone else and/or her. If you just do something based on a post and do no research of your own, that’s not her issue, but yours.

sam
    July 10, 2014 at 10:27 am

I’m sorry that so many people jumped on you about this. And I’m sorry that you so quickly took their view and changed your entire post. The internet is filled with articles and research to back up any view point. Hydrogen peroxide has been safely used and recommended by dental professionals for decades. Experience trumps any article someone can throw at me. And if people resort to rudeness in their comment, that takes any professional opinion they spout and washes it down the drain (pun intended).

Cammi
    July 10, 2014 at 10:37 am

Wow, people are so rude! Thanks for your amazing site Cara!

Amylee Reid
    July 10, 2014 at 10:42 am

It’s also fun to try combining some essential oils with the coconut. I currently have a problematic tooth and use a few drops of oregano oil to kill infection (plus, super fresh breath). Lavender is also an antibacterial, clove oil is good for numbing and peppermint oil is always lovely. So many combos!

Carly
    July 10, 2014 at 11:18 am

Cara, you are AWESOME! Thank you for always brightening my day

Siham
    July 10, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I just started this week too! I’ve read it in so many blogs and they all had great results so I’m really excited about it! I have tried so many natural options for teeth whitening but this one seems to be working really reaaally fast! Let us know how it goes for you 🙂 X

| http://www.noirettediary.com |

Carly
    July 10, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Quick question – Are results best if you do this before or after brushing your teeth/flossing/mouth wash etc.?

Kelly
      July 10, 2014 at 12:51 pm

You should do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Mia
        July 10, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Do you brush your teeth before or after doing it?

Cara d
    July 10, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Hydrogen peroxide actually list is as an oral rinse on the bottle.

ThatIyerGal
    July 10, 2014 at 7:16 pm

My family has been doing oil pulling for generations. I didn’t do it because I hated the feeling of it and now I have the most rootcanals. Sigh. Btw we use sesame oil instead of coconut. 🙂

Melissa
    July 11, 2014 at 6:16 am

There is nothing wrong with using Hydrogen peroxide in moderation. Swishing for 30-60 secs 3 times a week is not going to interrupt the RNA synthesis or normal flora of your mouth. Regular ( brown bottle) peroxide is a very weak solution. Peroxide is used to clean tracheostomies on a regular basis. I know all this because I am a registered nurse; I use peroxide regularly to clean wounds and I swish with is a few times a week. Stop freaking the poor, pregnant lady out.

Biz Entzel
    July 12, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Just so we’re clear.. Oil pulling, athough it’s been around for generations (as one reader said her family has used it for years) there is actually very little scientific support for the practice. Your teeth may feel cleaner, and if swishing oil for 30 minutes is worth it to you-go for it, but there is no evidence that this leads to better oral health in the long run than say 30 seconds of mouth wash. Also, as far as “pulling out toxins” goes… What is the method for this phenomenon? And what toxins are being referred to?

This is not directed at anyone in particular and isn’t meant to sound mean. I just want those who are being introduced to oil pulling to also know that it probably isn’t the miraculous cure-all that many enthusiasts make it out to be, and this definitely should not replace any part of your oral hygiene routine.

Lisa
    July 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I am a dental hygienist and this topic makes me a little crazy. I don’t want to start a debate, but want to set the record straight. Hydrogen peroxide is NOT bad for your mouth/teeth. In fact, I had a patient ask me if she could use it diluted in her water pik and after consulting with my DDS, he said it would indeed improve oral health and reduce bacteria in her mouth. in addition, my fiancé is a medical doctor and he also agrees that hydrogen peroxide is safe. The ingredient used in teeth whitening gel is carbamide peroxide…. Totally different animal than hydrogen peroxide. So swish away fellow people!!! You’re doing well for yourself!

Lisa
    July 14, 2014 at 6:40 am

Your first comment was fine, the second one was unwarranted. Cara mentioned many times in previous posts that she apologized and amended the original post.

Nick Davison
    July 25, 2014 at 5:58 am

Hi Cara, this post offers good advice to people thinking of using home whitening kits. Dont do it without consulting your dentist first. Kits you can buy over the internet often contain up to 20% hydrogen peroxide, and at that concentration it can burn your mouth and cause serious and lasting damage to your teeth. Hydrogen peroxide is definately best left to the professionals but using coconut oil is a great idea, besides being used as a mouth rinse, coconut oil is also great for your skin.

プラダ バッグ コピー
    August 28, 2014 at 9:13 am

Thanks to ()z through Walk twenty second. Of course worked a treat and also stored us a large amount of reading in addition to browsing. I must say I don’t learn their uploads/downloads could well be p2p. My spouse and i function peerguardian and a couple of ip’s stored arriving (blocked admittedly). These folks were BSky F on 193. 195. 115. 136 in addition to Transmissions Growing media in 193. 114. 117. 134. They may both equally removed right now thus happy thanks. I use no issue together with Stones within this problem truly although a few people truly probably would not know where to find any deal ore also recognize there were a challenge. Anyway, information help I possess merely uncovered Kservice hiding in the unit immediately after attempting to send Skies Through High speed from appliance to a different. In order to admit I put celebration for you to band Skies technical help support several times along the way (and never have became popular to do this yet). They can be great folks but they are somewhat unaware. A possibility that they no longer inform you of Kontiki gowns talked about on the website in which join the provider -it’s they will can’t say for sure just how it works or how hard it truly is for you to uninistall that. I was told getting rid Skies Through BB was as fundamental as add/remove plans. It certainly is not, because Kontiki remains operating aside. Typically the technical help are not staying deceitful, IMHO they will just are clueless a lot. My spouse and i believe the probs I use possessed moving SBB from one PC to another have already been a result of often the Kontiki software package nonetheless working on my system. Seeing that I realize how hard Kontiki would be to remove I am not sure merely would like to maneuver SBB at all Factors . merely drop this.

Paul Thompson
    September 26, 2014 at 9:19 am

I’m glad to hear that you’re now aware about oil pulling. This is a perfect remedy if you want to have a healthy teeth and an overall excellent oral health. This homemade treatment receives many acknowledgements from experts, too. Its efficiency is truly remarkable.

Anonymous
    August 17, 2015 at 6:09 am

new balance

Samuel L
    January 18, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Question- could this potentially damage your teeth in the future from this at home whitening? am I better off getting it done professionally?