Beauty Basics Eyeshadow School Makeup Tips & Tricks

Introducing Eyeshadow School. Day one: The Rules.

Let’s talk about eye shadow.

On a quite regular basis I hear these words (or some derivative of):
“I am clueless with eye shadow.”

For a long time this struck me as odd.
Eyeshadow is so simple?
Is this just something people say? Like “Oh, I’m bad with names.” Or “Don’t look at my house, it’s a disaster!” (Cue spotless home)
I decided that it must be but after so many years of hearing it SO many times I finally decided I needed to find out what the problem was. How is something so simple becoming so complicated?
Why don’t women feel confident about their shadowing abilities?
What’s the deal here?

From then on “I’m terrible with eye shadow.” was no longer a question when posed to me, it was an opening for an interrogation.
What do you mean? What can’t you do? What looks have you tried to attain? Why didn’t it turn out how you wanted?

Finally, I came to some conclusions on what the gap was and Eyeshadow School was born.

Fist things first.
I’ll start with the
According to me:

You already know this but the differences might be making you feel like you are doing something wrong trying to attain a certain look when you’re not, eye shape can completely change the way shadow looks.
Take for instance Lilly Ghalichi:
lillyeyes copy

An awful lot of the eye shadow pins on Pinterest that I see all the time are done on eyes like these.
Her eyes are prominent.
This changes the way shadow look A TON. For a couple main reasons.
1. You can see her eyelid below the crease when her eyes are open.
2. Since her eye protrudes the thickness and heaviness of her shadow and liner can be amped up a great deal without it looking like a black eye.
3. She has a natural crease that is heavy. Even if she only put one color of eyeshadow on her entire lid it would like much darker in the crease because it’s deep and that creates a shadow.
And while I LOVE her eyes and I think that prominent eyes are beautiful, most of the eyes that I makeup or see on a daily basis are not prominent.
Usually, most women I see are somewhere between Lilly’s eyes and Jessica Beil’s eyes:

She has a lower, finer crease. The shadow below her crease can’t really be seen when her eyes are open.

Both are stunningly beautiful. And both can do any eyeshadow they want! But it’s not going to look the same and if you expect it to, you’ll probably think you did something wrong.
All of this might be really obvious to some of you but it took me a long time to figure it out for myself so I think it’s an important thing to share!

The other thing I hear and see a lot is “The Proper way to apply eye shadow.”
WHAT!? THERE’S ONE PROPER WAY? All of these different eyes and there’s one standard way we should be doing our shadow? No.
I won’t accept it.
Here at eyeshadow school I will show you my favorite (and oh so simple) shadow techniques and I might even plug an eye shape for one that it could be particularly flattering for but I won’t be making rules. Since everyone is so unique (in look and taste) the only way to really find out what is “Proper” for you is to try it on yourself.

Are you guys excited? I am.
Part of School will be a Q&A video so please leave any questions you have below and I’ll either address them with a post or during the video!

Hope you all have a LOVELY Holiday (for those in the US) and weekend!

July 7, 2014 at 4:59 am

Very excited! I do eyeshadow regularly, but I always stick to just the eyelid. I’d love to be able to wing it out a bit on the sides every now and then, but whenever I try I look crazy. Would love to know how to make it even and controlled, instead of looking like you smeared your eyeshadow too far.

July 7, 2014 at 4:59 am

I would love to see help on 44 year old drooping lids with a natural downturn at the outer corners. They have always been droopy but now are worsening. Can’t see the lid below the crease at all when open and not a ton closed! Help!

July 7, 2014 at 5:04 am

Yes, what Jenny said!

July 7, 2014 at 5:39 am

I agree with Jenny as well!

July 7, 2014 at 6:15 am

Same here, Cara. Almost 47 with the exact same issue as Jenny

July 7, 2014 at 7:26 am

Same here. I[m 51 Blue eyes

July 7, 2014 at 9:51 am

Ditto! Hooded, hazel and close set. HELP!

July 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Yes! For me, only one eye is extremely hooded due to surgeries and the other is not. Tips on how to make 2 different shaped eyes look better please? I’ve basically given up on eye shadow and I’m only 21.

Patti G
          July 8, 2014 at 7:25 am

I have sort of the same issue. Left eye operated on multiple times, now blind but lid not as hooded as right eye, also eye is off a little from other eye. 51 here and looking for any help. Thanks

July 7, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Same here! 41 with heavier lid and downturned eyes. I would love to see how to make them look more open and turned up. I am also wondering if other people have issues with the shadow not blending or looking clumping?

July 7, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Yes, same problem. Also, my eyeshadow always looks “messy” . I like to use 2-3 shades and I try to blend but it never looks cohesive.

Darcie R
      July 12, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Yes, same problem!

July 7, 2014 at 5:05 am

This is awesome! I have super hooded eyes and I feel like as I get older, my eyeballs recede further into the back of my head. Do you have suggestions for hooded eye makeup? I guess my eyes are sort of like Jessica’s, but a puffier hood. So…any suggestions for de-puffing?!

Sabrina Botelho
    July 7, 2014 at 5:05 am

Remember how we all helped each other figure out face shaped via Instagram a while back. Do you think we can do that again? I have such a hard time finding out how my eyes are shaped. One day I think def protruding the next I think hooded lol. It’s def not as clear as face shapes so I know it’d be a bit of a challenge

July 7, 2014 at 5:36 am

Yes! Actually, I’d love to get help w/ my face shape too. 🙂

July 7, 2014 at 5:41 am

Great idea!

Cara D
    July 7, 2014 at 5:06 am

Yes, I need help with this. i have a deep crease but you don’t see my lid under the crease when my eye is open.

July 7, 2014 at 5:17 am

My eyes are not exactly the same shape. One is more hooded than the other. I also have one eyebrow that is brown and the other is closer to blonde (they were blonde as a child but I have brown hair).

July 7, 2014 at 5:42 am

My eyes are two different shapes as well! Agreed – would love help on this as well!

July 7, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Me too!

July 7, 2014 at 5:17 am

What is the best way to define your lower lash line without making it too harsh. I have tried a lot of different techniques but I end up looking like a smudged mess and nothing ever stays put.

July 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm

me too!

July 8, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I second this! My specific questions are:
      How do I get anything to stay put on my lower lash line? As I wear eye shadow, eye liner, mascara on my lower lashes a few hours later it has melted and migrated down off my lower lashes, giving me a horrible raccoon eye!

Are we supposed to be applying eyeshadow primer along the bottom lashes/lashline as well?

July 11, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I second this comment. I love the looks you do where you use shadow on the lower lash, but it never looks right when I try it!

J Kim
      July 10, 2014 at 2:06 am

Yes. So much yes! I have very fatty under eyes, too, so I feel like any darkness on the lower lash line eventually travels down and just gives me pseudo dark circles.

July 7, 2014 at 5:34 am

July 7, 2014 at 5:35 am

I’m so excited for this!!! I’d love to learn how to have a fun look that’s ok for the office, but not full of sparkles since I’m almost 40. :/

July 7, 2014 at 5:41 am

As a brown-eyed girl with an olive completion I was told to avoid pink eye shadows as it can make me look tired and go with olive greens and plum purples instead. Are their any other colors I can consider?

July 7, 2014 at 5:41 am

Cara – I would be one of your followers that feels clueless with shadows. I have watched tons of videos. I pin tons of tips. It just seems like when I try … I never blend properly? I don’t know. I am not confident. I also would like you to help those of us with droopy eyelids. It makes it difficult – especially for liner. Thanks!

juli phillips
    July 7, 2014 at 5:50 am

So my big question is how do I experiment with color without looking koo koo? I have a few palates with some awesome colors, but they have never been touched by my brushes 🙁 scared of ’em! I stick to the neutrals always! Help me get some fun on my lids Cara!

July 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

Agreed! And since I have red hair I feel like if I try anything but brown or grey it will clash w/ my hair or just be too much… Thoughts?

delaney c
      July 7, 2014 at 11:48 am

i also mostly stick to neutrals. I want tips on blending both neutrals and color, where to use the matte colors in my palettes or the shimmers. i usually do the darkest color in my crease with a lighter color on lid and by the eyebrow, is that right? i use a primer, but sometimes I still feel my color ends up looking dirty.

July 7, 2014 at 5:57 am

Looking forward to a video for sure! I am so clueless when it comes to applying makeup 😉

July 7, 2014 at 5:58 am

I love that winged “pinterest-y” (is that a word? no? it is now! 🙂 ) look but my eyes are rounder shaped so there is no natural place to apply shadow to the outer “V” to make it darken and look more winged! My eyes are more like an outer “C”…. how can us rounder girls wear winged shadow?

July 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I thought I was the only person who had this problem. my eyes are also like an outer “C” shape and I find it difficult to do an outer “V” shape.

July 7, 2014 at 5:58 am

So this is more about liner but I’m pretty certain I can’t rim my eyes with black. It just doesn’t look right. Not sure why because I feel like it finishes off a smoky eye really pretty on everyone else… but me. 🙁

July 7, 2014 at 6:04 am

2 questions: Could you please do a beginners guide to brushes? I’d love to blend shadows with them but don’t even know where to start. How to use shadow to “lift” droopy eyes?

Martha Coscarart
    July 7, 2014 at 6:07 am

So excited to see more! My question is about eye liner. I have trouble getting it to stay put close to my lash line. After an hour I have bare skin along lashes and my shadow and liner has migrated up and away. Any tricks? Thanks!!!

July 7, 2014 at 6:08 am

I am SO excited to see some of these techniques! Your brow school helped me so much so I am thrilled to be learning about eye shadow!

Debbie Skwirsk
    July 7, 2014 at 6:08 am

I guess I am surprised by the number of women who say they have eyeshadow colors that they have never used. BE BOLD. Sit in front of your mirror and experiment, You will be amazed at what looks good on you. Rite Aid has a return policy for make-up. Keep your receipt, if you don’t like a product for ANY reason return it for a full refund. You won’t be stuck with anything you do not like. I have expanded my color pallet so far because of this experimentation and return policy. Good Luck and God Bless All of Us.

Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog
    July 7, 2014 at 6:21 am

Super excited!!! I love playing with eyeshadow techniques and trying different things to see how it looks.

July 7, 2014 at 6:43 am

I’m so glad you pointed this out. I have noticed, too, that most pinterest tutorials are for eye shapes I don’t have. Therefore, the look with be very different on me. I don’t think most people realize this, though!

Angela S
    July 7, 2014 at 6:47 am

Hi! My issue is that I have deep set almond shaped eyes AND oily skin! I cannot keep eyeshadow on my eyes without them clumping and creasing within 2 hours of putting it on. I’ve tried primers (maybe not the right ones), and setting it with powder. I’ve pretty much given up. Any suggestions?

July 8, 2014 at 4:57 am

I have the same problem! I have very oily eyelids and a few hours after putting on eyeshadow it’s either completely gone or moved around into the crease. I’ve tried a ton of different primers, setting powders and setting sprays. nothing works. Suggestions would be great!

July 7, 2014 at 6:50 am

My issue is my eyes are hooded! ( I’m almost 30, so they’re naturally this way). Every time I try to define my eyes though, they look heavy! I’d like to achieve something natural and kind of smokey.

Liz C
    July 7, 2014 at 6:52 am

My question is: which shapes/arcs should my eye shadow brush be following and where should I put the darkest shade? thanks!

July 7, 2014 at 7:17 am

I haven’t read through all the replies so I’m not sure if I’m being redundant but here are my question, thoughts exc.
    1. I have a problem recreating a look because I’m not sure how many colors are actually being used in the look, how they are layered or if they are being layered, just by looking at them.

2. I don’t know what colors will look good on me. I have the same exact coloring as Anne Hathaway- skin tone, hair color, eye color and shape and it’s hard to find eye shadow that brings out my eyes but doesn’t overwhelm my lighter skin tone. If I try to add shadow to my bottom lash line I look like I’ve been punched.

3. I have never felt like I have found a look that really enhances the golden tones in my brown eyes. Everyone says to use blue but I always end up looking like Mimi.

4. I can’t just walk into MAC and know what colors are going to look good on me.

Yay, I’m excited!

July 7, 2014 at 7:22 am

I’m not sure if liner would be something you’d be willing to cover, but I do have a question in case it is. Like many of the women above, I have hooded lids, and that skin always rubs directly on my lash line, which transfers liner in an adorable little arc in the middle of my lid. I’ve tried kohl, pencil, gel, and liquids liners to no avail. I’ve also tried putting the same color shadow on the liner to set it (or setting spray), but everything inevitably smudges and transfers. Do you know how to get around this issue?? Thank you!!!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      July 7, 2014 at 7:26 am

I use the smudge as a place to put the crease shadow so that it looks on purpose.

July 7, 2014 at 7:41 am

Unfortunately it doesn’t happen until 30-45 minutes after I finish my makeup, so I always think it finally stayed put. Also, the black liner doesn’t always go with the lighter shadows I might be using 🙁 It’s a good idea though…

July 7, 2014 at 9:06 am

I have exactly the same issue. I’ve tried a lot of different products to keep this from happening, but nothing has worked. I’d love it if Cara could provide a good solution!

July 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm

This may not work for you, but I found that as I got older (well, just plain old), eyeliner looked too harsh above my lashes. So I started tightlining instead and it defines my eye without closing it up. Maybe tightlining would work for your problem as well? Since it’s not rubbing against the crease in your eye it wouldn’t leave the mark on it.

July 7, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I have the exact same problem. What is tight lining??

July 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Tight-lining definitely helps, especially on those days that I don’t want to deal with liner. I am into the whole cat-eye/winged liner thing though, and the part that transfers for me is the outer portion of the liner from the middle of my eye to the wing. So my goal would be to find a way to keep the liner in its place in that outer part!

Also, tight-lining is just adding liner there in between your actual lashes, even lower on the lashline that you liner normally gets to. It doesn’t look like liner, it just looks like the lashline is thicker.

July 8, 2014 at 3:33 am

By tight lining, I mean that I put the liner underneath my lashes, on the upper water line. The bonus for this is that it seems to last pretty long there compared to above my lashes. The downside is that color doesn’t seem to show up (for me, at least). No matter what I put there, it looks brownish/black.

Cathy B. (@fulltimemamom)
    July 7, 2014 at 7:25 am

Yay I’m excited! 🙂

July 7, 2014 at 7:31 am

Thank you!!!! My main problem is that I want to try new things, so I buy a pallet that has a lot of colors and I end up using one or two of the safe colors. Usually taupe. Then I decide I am going to try some of the other bolder colors and I end up looking like I came straight from the 80’s. So my question is how to pair different colors together and how to use them so I don’t look like a 4 yr old put it on for me?

July 7, 2014 at 7:32 am

Blending! In all of your shadow videos and posts you always say the key is to “blend, blend, blend” but I can never seem to get it right! 🙁 The videos always say to blend, blend, blend and then immediately cuts to the finished product. I would love to see the actual blending process! What brushes do you use? How long does it take? What techniques do you use? What if you put too much?
    Thank you, Cara! You’re the best!

July 7, 2014 at 7:51 am

Cara, I’m 51 and have loose skin in and over my eye crease. When I apply eyeshadow for crease definition, I have to be careful with the brush. I usually apply it in the natural direction that the loose skin moves. Does what I’m saying make any sense? It’s so hard to describe! Anyway, it doesn’t look good since the skin is loose and the crease definition ends up above the crease. Help! I’m just ready to give up with eyeshadow now. Aging rewrites everything.

The Maiden Metallurgist
    July 7, 2014 at 8:02 am

Looking forward to hearing what you hve to say. I’m heavy lidded (think bedroom eyes) and i’d love to wear more color, but can’t do it wituout looking like a, well, loke a floozie.

July 7, 2014 at 8:06 am

You are an angel, Cara!!! I have eyelids almost exactly like Lilly Galichi and every makeup tutorial on YouTube shows darkening the crease area. With eyes like that, I basically have black sockets above my tiny eyes (not attractive). If you could do a shadow guide, like you did for HACing different face shapes, that would be perfect! You are the best, Cara!

July 7, 2014 at 8:09 am

I would love a tutorial on blended eye liner for someone with really light features. (light skin, very light eyes) as the color suggested are often way too dark and look harsh. Also, should I just skip liner on the bottom if I have a deeper set eyes like JEssica? Because I’ve been told that, but it looks like she’s wearing some in the picture and I feel like it helps to define her eye. Although, she does have darker features.

Carrie F.
      July 7, 2014 at 8:56 am

I agree, Ashley! I have no idea how to make my eyes pop against my pale skin without looking like I have too much makeup on.

Randi Richins
    July 7, 2014 at 8:11 am

Cara I am a hairstylist and makeup artist too. One of my big things is there are no rules for eyeshadow! I can’t tell you how many times a woman loves a look but tells me she can’t wear it because it isn’t “proper” for her age, application, ethnicity, etc. I am so glad you agree!

Laurence King
    July 7, 2014 at 8:17 am

How exciting!!! I have a heavy crease but my eyes are not prominent at all (i.e., I don’t a lot of eye lid). Unless I use a very light eyeshadow, it looks like I have a black eye. I’d love to hear your take on that type of eye and hear/see how you could create the illusion of a bigger eye. Thank you so much! XOXO

Canal Couture
    July 7, 2014 at 8:18 am

I’m guilty as charged! I feel very unsure about eyeshadow application. I put it on, but feel like I’m not making the most of my features. My eyes are deepset, small and a bit hooded. On top of this I suffer from dark circles. Eyeshadow easily looks dark on me, making my circles look darker and my eyes smaller. But when I forgo eyeshadow my eyes lack definition, especially since they are small compared to the rest of my features. Would love to learn how to accentuate and bring out my eyes.

July 7, 2014 at 8:18 am

I just recently gave up on eyeshadow…Reaching past 50 Im feeling none is better than trying to look younger.

July 7, 2014 at 8:21 am

Brush help!

July 7, 2014 at 8:32 am

I ditto the winged application look! Also, as someone with hooded lids, I always envy those beautiful fully-visible eyelids where the crease can be defined/accentuated with bold colors and application. I feel like us hooded girls don’t have the option to have fun with cat-eyes. Looking forward to this series!

Sandra Sallin
    July 7, 2014 at 8:34 am

Could you please address the needs of older women. I mean older like in their seventies?

July 12, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Please and thank you!! 🙂

Carrie F.
    July 7, 2014 at 8:50 am

I am so excited for eyeshadow school! Eyeshadow is the thing that confounds me the most because we are supposed to do different looks based on the shape of our eyes, the size of our eyes, the kind of lids we have, and then consider if our eyes are deep set, close set, etc. Then, to confuse us even more, we are supposed to use certain colors to complement our eye color. Geesh! There is a lot to figure out. I would love help identifying the different types of eyes. I think mine are small but have no idea what shape they are. This eyeshadow student is ready to learn 🙂

July 7, 2014 at 9:06 am

That is an amazing idea to start Eyeshadow School. I have hooded heavy eyelids, and it’s always a nightmare for me to create something pretty on my eyes. It is either completely covered by my lids and not visible, or looks like a bruise 😀 Looking forward to the new lessons, hope they will help me 🙂

Jessica Johnston
    July 7, 2014 at 9:11 am

Can’t wait for the video tutorial! You are awesome!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    July 7, 2014 at 9:50 am

Love this! I feel like I am always experimenting with eye shadow and having fun with it! It works best that way for me 🙂

July 7, 2014 at 9:50 am

Regardless of eyelid size and eye shape etc., I watch a lot of youtube beauty videos and get so overwhelmed when they use like 5 colors of eyeshadow in different spots on the eyelid… I just give up! If it was two maybe, or three max for a special occasion, then I would do it, but otherwise it’s just boggling to me.

July 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

I’ve watched a lot of videos and read a lot of “how-to” posts on where and how to apply different colors to the eyelid to produce various effects or whatever. When I do this, it all just kind of blends together and doesn’t look dimensional like it does in all the posts. And the colors I use never seem to show up very well. I use a good primer and high quality shadow pallets. Even the simple tutorials don’t turn out well!

July 7, 2014 at 9:56 am

I’m so excited for brow school!!! 🙂

July 7, 2014 at 10:00 am

Cara, I’ve have dark circles (pretty much always, no matter how well I sleep) because my skin is fair and the blue just shows through. I don’t like to wear a ton of concealer bc I think it looks worse (more unnatural) than just having some blue under my eyes. Is there a way to use eyeshadow to draw attention upward or to help make my eyes look more awake w/out caking on the products?

Julie Rasmussen
    July 7, 2014 at 10:02 am

I have been waiting for a post like this!! So glad it’s a series too. I need help. From what you described I’m pretty sure I have heavy crease eyelids although I’ve always thought of them as a negative thing. I’m scared of eyeshadow because I want my eyes to appear pretty, rich and big and if I don’t get it right I feel like they look deep and sunken in. Does that make sense? Ps we went to elementary together and I went to hs with nick.

July 7, 2014 at 10:03 am

Lots of questions here. First, I am afraid to try anything that isn’t neutral, don’t know what colors to use together (have several palates) and where they should go. I don’t wear eyeliner because I’m not confident with the blending, I’m also not confident with putting shadow on the lower lid….I see you do that a lot but am afraid I am going to look like a lady of the night……

Wendy Wei
    July 7, 2014 at 10:14 am

I’m so excited for the Q&A video and I’m so glad you bring up this topic and to show that everyone’s eyes really are very different. A lot of the techniques and tutorials on eye makeup looks really easy but everyone has different types of eyes so it’s not easy at all. I have a crease but it gets covered by my hooded eyes so if you could show some type of techniques it would be great! Thank you!

July 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

I’d love it if you could break down Iggy Azeala’s basic eyeshadow look.

Her eye makeup is always fairly simple/natural & I never realized how deceptive it was until I saw a pic of her in an airport with no makeup on & she has the tiniest hooded eyes. I realized just how good her makeup artist really is. Its the most natural looking fake crease I’ve ever seen.

July 7, 2014 at 10:34 am

Yay I’m excited for this!

Becca C
    July 7, 2014 at 10:35 am

I have trouble with getting my eyeshadow blended right. I never can seem to reach the happy medium. It’s either too pronounced and not blended enough or muddy and too blended. Also I’d love help with color combinations in general, but also for different skin tones. I’m very pale and a lot of eye shadow looks too dark on me. I’d love to know what colors would work best for me to do a smokey eye, etc. Just a few difficulties that I have with eye shadow.

July 7, 2014 at 10:52 am

A good smoky eye for a Jessica Biel type eye and a bright summery eyeshadow look for the same type of eye that doesn’t look too heavy, but you can still tell you have makeup on. Most of the “summery” looks end up looking like I left off my eye makeup!! And I agree about the face and eye shape identifiers!!

July 7, 2014 at 11:35 am

Very, very, very excited! I’m just starting to play with eyeshadow (at 36 years old!) and do feel a little clueless. I’m having some issues with eye makeup looking too heavy, not blending well, and not really making my eye color (blue) stand out.

Not sure if eye liner will fit into eyeshadow school, but I would love to hear more about it. I feel like it always comes out too harsh on me. Not sure if that is about technique, product, or so much time without any makeup skewing my impression.

Thanks and looking forward to it!

July 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

Very excited for this series! Due to my thyroid medical condition, I have large protuding eyes with dark under eye circles. Could you please include tips for minimizing eyes (which eye shadow: matte or shimmer, where to place shadow on big lid, etc). Thank you!!

Elise Richard
    July 7, 2014 at 11:44 am

This is so awesome! I can’t wait to learn more about eyeshadow! 🙂

Ashley H
    July 7, 2014 at 11:45 am

This is so exciting!!! I’d love to know when/where to use matte shadow VS shimmery shadow, and if you can/should wear both together 🙂

Valeria Campos (@wishful_hearts)
    July 7, 2014 at 11:57 am

This has been my issue all summer ever since my cousin did my makeup (she just became a professional makeup artist). She did it so beautifully and I even bought a MAC palette (huge splurge for me) and was so upset that when I did it, it did not look the same! So…yes I am excited! Could you please show at some point different eye shapes with the same look to get a better idea of what my shape could be and how to best highlight my shape? Thank you so much Cara! <3

July 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

Love learning new things about makeup and trying out different techniques. I wear glasses but want to be able to create different looks. Most of the time eye makeup for glasses is the same-old. What are some ways that I may change up eye makeup that is appropriate for work but fun?

Thank you.

July 7, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Horray!!! Thank you Cara! I need this. I’m 47 and always felt clueless and confused about eyeshadow..and it seems to disappear 5 minutes after I apply it!

Živilė Petrauskaitė
    July 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Yay, I’m so excited for this, I’ve been waiting for this like…forever! I would really like to know how to apply eyeshadow to hooded eyes (I have a friend of mine, who sometimes asks me to do her make up, but her eyelid form is soo different from mine and techniques that I use for myself doesn’t work that great) and how to make them even more stunning 🙂

Vanessa tuculet
    July 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Awesome!! I would like to know where to stop applying on my eye when I’m above the crease, Or even at the crease. Where do you stop and do you blend?

Carolyn @ The Makeup Writeup
    July 7, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Thank you so much for this, Cara! I have Asian eyes with a crease that’s hardly visible. I’d love to learn tips on how best to work with eyeshadow for Asian eyes! You make such great points about a prominent vs. less-prominent lid. Often times, dark shadows look like I gave myself a black eye whereas they look beautiful on others!

The Makeup Writeup

July 8, 2014 at 6:41 am

I second Carolyn! I’d love to see any tips you have for eyes with no crease!

July 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I love it when you make eyeshadow looks with bronzer, but I have no idea how to. I want to see a tutorial for that!

July 7, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Sooo…i know only one other person has commented on glasses BUT i will throw my 2 cents. I wear glasses, have to, love to. they’re pretty open, black and medium/thin thickness. you can see more of my eye lids when open than jessica beals and a little less than lilly’s. I’ve found experiments usually end up with my eyes looking like they have A LOT going on. just a dark blur. I’ve decided hot smokey date night eye is a no-go for glasses. if so, i can except that….am i wrong? lighter colors and simple techniques seem to work. but i find it hard to really make my eyes look striking behind frames….even if they’re cute ones.

July 7, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Excited for this new segment! Two questions for you. First, what shape of eye should try the eye shadow on the bottom eye in lieu of a black eye liner pencil? It seems when I do it I just look like I have a black eye. I’ve read it’s suppose to make your eyes bigger, hence making it look much more prominent. I’d like your help on this because I may just resort back to my good ‘ol black liner pencil 🙂 Second question, should all women use eye shadow to fill in brows? I typically don’t, but I’m wondering whether it would strengthen my features or simply look way to done up. Any clarification would be fantastic!

Jeree B
    July 7, 2014 at 2:47 pm

SO excited for eyeshadow help. I tried to look at an old post and video on your site but it wasn’t working. I think I have a prominent eye, but my problem is that my eyebrows are really high. Like REALLY high, a good half inch above my crease. Any help would be appreciated!!

July 7, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Looking forward to this series Cara. I always steer away from eyeshadow because my eyes are just like Jessica’s so I just don’t bother. Same with eye liner it makes my eyes look dead and sad somehow!

Nikole (@VictryAngel619)
    July 7, 2014 at 3:16 pm

My biggest issue with eyeshadow is making it work when the visible lid space under the crease differs significantly on each eye. Most eye shadow looks I try look great on one eye but the other eye looks like it’s swollen or “sleepy”. It’s even worse if I try to line my lids. I’d appreciate any tips you can give me.

July 7, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I have very hooded eyelids and the corners naturally appear down-turned. Is there no hope of me ever being able to wear a cat eye look? I also have trouble putting eye-shadow on my lower lash line without appearing to have a black eye like others have mentioned. Lastly, I have eyes that are a dark grey-blue not a light bright blue, so I tend to stick to neutral colors. Any color suggestions are very welcome!

July 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Can you suggest simple every day eye shadow applications for work? I wear it everyday…the same way!

July 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

This is such a great concept! It’s so true and I’ve had some of these thoughts myself but am finding that you just have to try new things. Thanks for a great post!

July 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm

If I put on more than 1 or 2 colors….it looks cakey and messy….I try to blend….looks more cakey and messy. I put less on…can’t tell….little more->cakey and messy

July 7, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I am more like Jessica so I have to be really careful what tutorials I try!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Ashley M-K
    July 7, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I feel so uncomfortable applying liquid liner but I love wearing false eyelashes. Can you give me some tips and products. I have tried so many liquid liners and totally given up because I can’t get them to look good. I also don’t know how much is too much? Thanks for the post, I am thrilled.

July 7, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I love your blog. I jus have a question. What is the best or most flattering way to do eye shadows on protruding eyes? things to avoid? I heard that you should avoid harsh lines and to use only dark tones is that true? I feel that that only limits your options. Do you have any more suggestions, Thank you. I am SO looking forward to eyeshadow school

Shelley Walklin
    July 7, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I have large droopy sleepy aged eyes. When I use shadow that are dark on the lid to minimize heavy eyelids, I look even more tired. When I blend the shadows like mid tones with crease colors it looks like a muddy mess. Help!

July 7, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I think I may be the MOST excited for eye shadow school. I am more Jessica Biel’s shape and also have natural dark-circles under my eyes. Do you think there’s any way for me to pull off a smoky eye without looking like I broke my nose? What do you think would be most flattering?

July 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I wish I could do Jessica Biels makeup in this picture. Tutorial?? My eyes are like hers, as in shape, and no one can see the shadow that I apply so I usually don’t bother! My eyes are brown…are there any shadow colors that can make them pop? I know purple tones can look okay, but sometimes I feel like purple makes me look tired. Anyway, I’m happy you posted about this because I am definitely one of those people who just can’t figure out the eyeshadow thing. : )

July 7, 2014 at 7:33 pm

What is the best brand, color, and technique to apply eyeshadow on “mature” eyes, in other words, a little older….?

July 7, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Cara, how can I get the eye shadow on my eyelid to stay put…it ends up in the crease. I have
    tried a primer or two and it still seems to “move”. Would a cream versus a powder be better?

Beth and Beauty
    July 7, 2014 at 7:50 pm

What is the best way to apply eyeshadow to more mature eyelids, ones that have some small lid wrinkles?

Yellowlees Douglas
    July 7, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I know that, even with the limitations of eye shape, you can nevertheless change the appearance of your shape by shading, particularly the lighter shadow on the lid and darker in the crease trick. My eye shape and lids are exactly like Carolyn Murphy’s–but I’d rather have a heavier lid and more prominent crease. Any tips on how to achieve this?

J L
    July 7, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Help!! I have “mature” eyelids (heavy/crepey). What is the best way to apply eyeshadow, I feel like anything I put in the crease is never really seen.

susan keller
    July 7, 2014 at 8:38 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more!
    The majority of my 53 years have been spent in the beauty industry working for major cosmetics companies. I’ve always educated my customers on the specific architecture of their own eye and how it would, or would not lend itself to certain makeup ‘looks’. And I reeally dislike ‘rules’! LOL

July 7, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I love this 🙂 My eyes make my eyeshadows look barely visible… and it makes me look like I have a black eye when I do smokey eyes. Granted I’m not a pro at it yet… ahh… trial and error.

July 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Hi Cara! I have the hardest time with brown eyeshadow not looking right with my complexion. It just looks dirty or orangey. I have olive skin so it seems weird that brown would look bad. Any advice? Thank you and congratulations on your pregnancy. .. you have such a cute family. 🙂 g

July 7, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Hi Cara,

Could you show us how to tight line? I’m not a fan of thick harsh eyeliner, I like to keep the eyeliner simple, while making the eyeshadow more fun. Looking forward to this post!! Can’t wait to try all of your tips and tricks!

July 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Hi Cara! This is such a great idea, thank you for implementing eye shadow school for us! I’m 22 and I really love make up (especially eye shadow) and I wear it everyday. I like both the natural and more dramatic looks. I have slightly hooded eyes and after many many attempts I am still unable to apply liquid eyeliner or anything even slightly close to a cat eye without the line drooping down and making my eyes look like they’re pulling downwards =/ The other problem that I have is with more dramatic eyeshadow looks. Along with my eyes being slightly hooded, I do not have a deep crease, so when doing more dramatic looks, I try to blend my crease color up higher than my natural crease. Unfortunately, I feel like the looks jsut becomes messy and heavy looking on my eyes. So if you could do some tutorials on wearing liquid liner or winged eye liner on eyes that have hooded outer corners and some more dramatic eyeshadow looks for hooded eyes, that would be awesome! Thank you again!

Sharee Poyfair
    July 7, 2014 at 9:44 pm

My sisters all have eyes that are setback/hooded – so you can’t see much of their eye lid. They desperately want to know how to apply eye shadow for eyes shaped like that. They feel like when they apply eye shadow, no one ends up seeing it anyway… I would LOVE it if you could address that in your post. Thank you!!

July 7, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Hi Cara! I’m fair skinned with blonde hair, and am wondering what’s the best way to achieve a natural smokey eye? I’ve tried black eyeliner, but think it’s too harsh. I usually steer more towards browns. Also, should you always line your waterline when doing a smokey eye? Thanks so much–you are amazing at what you do!!

Becka T
    July 7, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Yay! This sounds great! I’ve got very deep set eyes and long eyelashes that tend to melt mascara straight up onto my brow bone – I have a feeling eye shadow up there would help with this problem, but it’s tough to have a “no makeup” makeup look with enough eye shadow up there to make a difference. Maybe something you could address? Either way, I’m really looking forward to eye shadow school!

July 7, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I’d like to know about how to do eyeshadow along the lower lash… i’m scared of making my dark circles look darker!

July 8, 2014 at 3:05 am

Super excited to see this too! It’s taken me a while to get used to wearing eyeshadow, mainly because sometimes a lot of shadow “ages” me or makes me feel I look a lot older than I am (33.) So I get really scared of even a smokey eye if done wrong. My main questions are:

1. How to know how much is too much vs. just enough (so I don’t look like a hooker or a grandma)?
    2. What about eye liner? I see every makeup artist use it but I hate this look on me (I have almond eyes.)
    3. How to keep it on and lasting all day???

July 8, 2014 at 3:43 am

I never had a problem with eyeshadow, I just plonk it on and blend it out if it looks wrong, until it looks better. This, though is really interesting and I will try to do it a little more structured towards my eye shape, because I had never thought about it before haha! I’m excited to see more posts on this 😀 xx

Jottings Of Love

July 8, 2014 at 4:44 am

I have hooded eyes and I can’t figure out how to not get my eye shadow and liner to not transfer to my hood. I like to to a color liner and I add shadow over that for staying power. I do use a shadow base bit it still transfers. I find hooded eyes hard to work with. Any tips would be great! Thanks.

July 8, 2014 at 6:22 am

I feel good about applying brown/cream natural colors, but I feel clueless when it comes to any other color. Black really freaks me out. I have always wanted to try purple, but I don’t know what to do with it.

July 8, 2014 at 7:35 am

As you alluded to above, people seem to focus on heavy-lidded women with olive or darker complexions, but as a white, pasty strawberry-blonde I feel kind of clueless. Can you demonstrate some eye shadow techniques on a woman (or women) with a fair complexion and naturally fair colored hair?

Also, could you address eye shadow brands that are the kindest on the eyes and skin? I have a choice between wearing glasses (which obscure my blue-gray eyes) or wearing contacts. But I’ve had so many issues with getting irritating beauty products in my eyes that I’m back to glasses again.

Are you going to include mascara in these tutorials? Because as a fair-complexioned woman this is what I really crave. As a strawberry-blonde, am I supposed to be wearing brown or black? Am I supposed to be applying to my lower eyelashes too? And I know everybody and their sister goes on and on about how they want thick thick thick lashes, but I could care less about thick – what I really want is something that looks natural and non-clumpy.

July 8, 2014 at 10:31 am

Need help with Asian eyes. It’s almost impossible to find someone behind the makeup counters at Dept. stores that can do Asian eyes correctly. After they apply my eyeshade you can barely see that I have eye shadow on. I was once told by a SF makeup artist are afraid to do Asian eyes because they are so difficult to do.

July 8, 2014 at 11:38 am

So exciting! I love eyeshadow and experimenting with eyeshadow, so I share your confusion when my friends say that they are clueless about eyeshadow. One issue I’ve had relates to my eye(lid) shape. My eyelids are more like Jessica Biel’s. I wouldn’t necessarily say that I have hooded eyes, but every time I try to do a cat eye or eyeliner flick, the line gets distorted by my eyelid (and just ends up looking like a weird sideways comma). And yet I am not ready to give up on having a successful cat eye/eyeliner flick. Any ideas?? Thank you! I love your makeovers and tutorials!!

July 8, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I have really deep set eyes. I find that if I don’t use a waterproof mascara that my lashes rest on my cheeks and have me looking like a raccoon in an hour or two. I also have asymmetrical lids. I have one lid that is definitely “droopier” than the other. Any tips on how to fix this mascara issue and how to work around asymmetrical eyes? thanks!

July 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I think this sounds amazing! I have pretty prominent eyelids, but my problem has always been picking out eye shadows that really accentuate my eyes. After watching one of your make up videos, I started using my matte bronzer on my lids and on my bottom lash line. I LOVE the look – works well with my green eyes and has a subtle sultry look that is appropriate day or night. However, picking actual colors, using more than one shade, and going above the crease have proven to be a bit more intimidating.

July 8, 2014 at 6:59 pm

The problem that I have is knowing what colors to put where. I figure that you want a lighter color on the inner eye, and a darker in the crease… but what colors go together? I also would love for you to add tips for blondes. I love all of your videos, but sometimes I feel like it wouldn’t look appropriate on me because I have such light hair compared to yours. Another this is that I don’t know where I should be putting eyeliner. It doesn’t look good on the bottom (at least the way I do it) so I would really be excited if you included that in your schooling 🙂 Also, my crease is not prominent at all.

July 8, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Can’t wait 🙂

July 8, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Lately I have sleepless night, thus, my eyes looks very tired with eye bags. I’ve tried a lot of products but they didn’t work. Do you have any suggestion/tips for me? Can’t wait for the eyeshadow school =)

Amanda June
    July 9, 2014 at 7:56 am

Great! I think I’m OK with eyeshadow (especially after a great pre-wedding tutorial last year at Sephora), but I’m hoping what’s next is blush school! It seems dumb even to me, but I feel like I cannot get blush to look right for the LIFE of me!!

July 9, 2014 at 9:00 am

Hi! I’m excited about this! I’m 26 and I think I have round eyes and they are a bit downturned but I’m not sure! I love eyeliner but it never looks good on me… it makes my eyes look more round and droopy and I don’t like it! I would love to know how to make my eyes look more flattering with eyeshadow and eyeliner! 😀

Denise McCormick
    July 9, 2014 at 9:41 am

As others have said, I too have trouble with blending. When I first apply, it looks like a distinctive line of color, but then as I try to blend it all seems to run together and look like I just smeared color all over the lower lid–it loses all definition and sense of having been “placed” or applied to specific areas. Also, I am overwhelmed and intimidated by all the many brushes there are for applying. Is it possible to do a decent everyday look with, say, only two brushes or maybe three? What are those exact brushes and how, exactly, do I use each one?

Christina Johnson
    July 9, 2014 at 10:53 am

I hope this isn’t too much to ask and I’m kind of embarrassed to even ask you this because you’re pregnant and so busy..
    My friends and I are profoundly deaf, but we read and talk about your blog all the time. We’re really interested in your eyeshadow tips, but we can’t hear videos. Is there any way you could please list the important points in the ‘About’ section of the video so we can understand what your tips are? Even if you can’t thank you so much for running an awesome blog!
    -Christina, Carla, and Eve

July 9, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I love idea, Cara and I am so excited for eye shadow school. I would definitely say I am bad with eye shadow. Partly because I have monolids so I feel like I don’t have a great amount of options. I hate those blunt swoops of color over my lid, and yet I can’t really tell a huge difference when I use more ‘earthy’ shades like browns, blacks and deep golds. I would love for you to point me in the right direction and incorporate some thoughts for those with hooded and monolid eyes 🙂

July 9, 2014 at 2:59 pm

You are so wonderful, looking forward to this! 🙂

Jacqueline (@jcrdiamond)
    July 10, 2014 at 7:17 am

I’m so excited for eyeshadow school!!! I admit I am one of those people who says they “can’t do” eyeshadow the “right” way. I love that you’re going to be helping set me straight 🙂 My biggest problem is when I practice a look on myself I have mild (but everywhere on my face) rosacea. So my face is constantly red and I find it really difficult to make eyeshadows work with that. I love stuff I see online but it ends up looking not quite right on me (or I don’t do it justice). I have blonde hair, blue almond shaped eyes w little to no space below my crease (Jessica Bielly eyes) and a round red face lol. Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

July 10, 2014 at 7:27 am

How to do eyeshadow for small, hooded eyes when you also wear glasses.

[email protected]
    July 10, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Hi Cara! If you covered any of these topics I would be appreciative: how to do dramatic makeup on someone with light coloring, how to prevent eyeshadow from creating “eye gunk”, cool eyeshadow looks with 1-2 colors, or how to do a cat eye for those of us with down-turned eyes! Thanks!

Marie Villa
    July 10, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Asian eyes with very little crease. Please help on how to make the eyes pop since there’s little to no crease.

Friday Faves | Taking Back Monday
    July 11, 2014 at 6:12 am

[…] favorite makeup blogger is starting a new series on Eyeshadow School – important stuff, people!  I, for one, am super excited for some new […]

July 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm

My eyes are kind of deep set and a little smaller, whenever I put on eyeshadow it makes everything look shadowed! I would love some tips to lighten it up and open them up!
    I love your blog!

Ginger Jen
    July 14, 2014 at 5:57 am

I am a redhead with blonde lashes and every time I get my makeup done by a “pro” I end up with either massively dark eyes or I look like an albino. And can we talk about how to use eyeliner on blonde lashes? Because that has been a disaster…..

Kirsten (Geeky Owl)
    July 14, 2014 at 11:13 am

I am so excited about this! I work at Ulta and I tell a lot of my customers to check out your tutorials all the time! So this would be fabulous!

The Friday Five [1.10]
    August 22, 2014 at 5:28 am

[…] We are really digging Maskcara’s new series, Eyeshadow School. So pay attention, gather your supplies, and get ready to learn. The first three […]

Home Skin Whitening download
    September 1, 2014 at 7:33 pm

you are truly a good webmaster. The web site loading velocity
    is incredible. It kind of feels that you’re doing any unique trick.
    Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a
    excellent job in this subject!

Windshield Wiper Eye Shadow
    September 24, 2014 at 4:22 pm

[…] She does a variety of posts from makeovers to tutorials. Back in July Cara did a post series called Eye Shadow School where she went over the supplies, and then several posts each on a different technique.  One […]

Windshield Wiper Eye Shadow | Illustrious Confections