five summer lip colors

As I mentioned on Monday Juliann is a pro at finding gorgeous lip colors.
It doesn’t hurt that her lips are amazing to begin with.
I wanted to know what her favorite go-to lip comobos are this summer and then to show them off for us.
So without further adieu I give you – THE FAB FIVE!

Here’s a close up:

From top to bottom:

1: MAC Lustering

2: MAC Myth paired with Nars Super Orgasm

3: MAC Relentlessly Red

4: MAC Vegas Bolt paired with Whitening Lightening Nude Gloss

5: MAC Creme Cup paired with NYX Buttergloss in Creme Brûlée

PS Juliann posted a video talking about her experience with our collaboration. If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to be the girl on the other side of the post it’s definitely worth a watch, she’s such a lovely person.

Beautiful photographs by Jessica Janae Photography

June 25, 2014 at 4:32 am

I am loving the relentlessly red!!!

Jodie Melling
    June 25, 2014 at 5:25 am

Love your picks! I love Mac Vegas Volt, it’s like a brighter Ravishing. Also I have Myth but I find it washes me out so I might try it with some gloss now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jodie x

June 25, 2014 at 5:39 am

Do you use a lip liner with these?

Lisa Scott Provost
    June 25, 2014 at 5:43 am

I’m so boring – #2 & #5 are the ones I could see myself picking! They’re all really pretty, I should probably step it up a little. 🙂

On another note, Juliann is such a class act. I was cringing yesterday with some of the more outspoken comments. Watching her video, I think it was clear she was too, but what a positive way to handle herself. Much respect – dang internet, you are such a troublemaker sometimes! I’m glad she participated, this has been really a great little mini-series.

Thanks, ladies!

June 25, 2014 at 5:45 am

Juliann is stunning! I am totallt lusting after Lustering now! Such a pretty color.. how did I not notice it before!? Great picks Cara! 🙂

Emerald Earrings
    June 25, 2014 at 6:10 am

Okay I am totally dye-ing (get it? haha. I’m such a dork) over her highlights! They are exactly what I have been wanting! I would love to hear how she achieved that contrast and what shades were used!!

June 25, 2014 at 7:44 am

Love them all!!!! I used to have Vegas volt and I lost it…. Gotta convince my hubby I NEED all these! Lol

June 25, 2014 at 8:13 am

I always seem to prefer the matte shades than the glossy ones. I never know why!
    Also, she has amazing hair! So cool!

Jottings Of Love

June 25, 2014 at 9:28 am

Beautiful colors! I get so jealous of people that can pull off fun bright colors. Maybe I’m just not used to seeing myself in bright lipstick…?? I just have SO much red in my skin that I look like a hot mess when I go with red or almost any vivid color. However, I may just have to try out Lustering!
    On a side note, I was also shocked at all the harsh comments and negativity with Monday’s post. Hope C and J both know there are many more fans than critics. Sometimes the critics are just louder.

Ashley H
    June 25, 2014 at 10:16 am

These colors are FAB! How can she look absolutely PERFECT in each one? AMAZING!!!! Such a gorgeous girl!

June 25, 2014 at 10:19 am

I love all of these, especially Relentlessly Red and Vegas Bolt. I always feel like I have such warm coloring that it’s hard for me to pull off bold lip colors, but they look amazing on her!
    Did she use lip liner in any of these? Her lips look perfect in every pic.
    After reading all the comments from Monday I had to rebuke myself a little because I think my comment had more of a negative connotation than I meant it to. Point blank, she’s beautiful and does a fabulous job with her make-up. I haven’t watched her video, but I can’t imagine what it would be like to put yourself out there. She’s very brave. I couldn’t do it.
    Being a make-up artist does open the door for criticism, just like being a music artist does.
    But I hope she takes any negativity with a grain of salt and just continues to do her makeup however she damn well pleases.

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    June 25, 2014 at 10:27 am

My sis has Vegas volt. I can’t wait to show her this, thanks!

June 25, 2014 at 10:46 am

I watched her video yesterday and got teary eyed because of the things people were saying and how I saw it affect her. She presented herself very well, considering. I wish people would realize that its not just a pretty picture you’re commenting on, that’s an actual human being who sees what you post. I hope she keeps her head up! Beautiful lip colors, btw!

June 25, 2014 at 11:12 am

Does anyone ever feel that darker, brighter lip color makes you look older? I was looking at all if the “looks” and the one with the softer, paler lip, she looks younger. Gorgeous in all of them of course!

Emily Lowery
    June 25, 2014 at 11:41 am

Love the third colour, it’s gorgeous! xo

EmsAlice // Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

June 25, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Mac Myth is really amazing! I love nude lipstick and the second and the last ones are my favorite *_*

Cathy B. (@fulltimemamom)
    June 25, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I love MAC’s Creme Cup! Such a great color. MAC’s Faux is another great nude. 🙂

June 25, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Which one is the most hydrating as well as giving good coverage? My lips have freckles (embarrassing!) and are super duper sensitive and chap easily. Trying to find a solution~~~

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    June 25, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Wow so many gorgeous colors!

June 25, 2014 at 4:33 pm

So many great MAC colors!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

June 25, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Stunning! I love that you’ve shown the color combos and given us links to the products. (I just ordered look #2 and hope it looks the same as I have similar coloring). I can’t get over how gorgeous this woman is. I can’t carry off the bright colors, but if I looked like her, I would wear a different lippie every day!

P.S. I also would like to know more about her highlights—I can’t seem to communicate this look to my stylist. LOVE it!!!!

June 25, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Love these! I’m a big fan of lipstick but have the hardest time wearing them because my lips seem to have too much color already! I was so bummed when I had to wear a clearish gloss for my wedding because of the redness that shows through on every other lipstick color. Any suggestions?

Eli Eli Bo Belli, Banana Nana So Shelli
    June 25, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I couldn’t agree more and I could feel myself getting teary/lump in my throat while she was talking about it. It is definitely a hit to hear everyone criticizing and critiquing things about yourself. That recognition of the human being in me and her really reflected the importance of realizing the real persons behind, in and of these posts. Glad to see she kept her head held high and could talk so openly about it. Beauty shining from the inside AND the outside. XOXO

June 25, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Love the lipsticks…but wish there were other options than MAC. Don’t get me wrong, this girl loves her some MAC, but I don’t hate variety <3

June 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I love the red lip color! It reminds me of Tarte’s matte lip stain in the shade Glee, which I positively love… but regrettably, I believe it could only be purchased as part of a set of minis last year 🙁 I’ll be so sad when mine runs out…

Mocha And Moccasins
    June 25, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Wow – she is beautiful! and her hair is perfect!
    I love #5 (Creme Cup) because it balances nicely with her bold eyes and brows.

June 25, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Great choices! Thanks for the introduction to Relentlessly Red – that’s a dynamite shade. Creme Cup + Creme Brûlée is my go-to everyday lip so it was nice to see it as a pick.

June 25, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Love your makeovers, Cara – would love to see an even more “unmade-up” or more natural look on this obviously attractive woman.

Whitney Gale
    June 26, 2014 at 6:16 am

Cara, can we see a Lorac Pro 2 swatch/review/tutorial soon? I know you love the original!!

Brittany Powell
    June 26, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I’ve been DYING to try the whitening lightening line. I feel like the MAC myth and creme cup shades are too light for me tho !

Beth and Beauty
    June 27, 2014 at 8:21 am

I love MAC’s Lustering and Vegas Volt! I have got to get these colors! Beautiful colors! I need to give in and try the White Lightening Lip Glosses too! If any one is interested in seeing the Lorac Pro 2 palette close up, it is up on my blog today, Just click on my name.

C/ Laureen Bassett
    July 2, 2014 at 12:58 pm

The colours are lovely. I do have a suggestion though. It would be helpful to also include a model with more olive skin wearing the same colours so that the ladies of colour can see the shades on her and make a more immediate and informed decision. In that cazse, we would not have to go to the store and start testing colours on our lips from scratch. We would already have ur choice in mind. Love your site.

September 19, 2014 at 1:46 am