Before & Afters Makeup

Monday Makeover Juliann

I am so so excited to share this makeover with you. It’s kind of a change up from my usual thing. On instagram a few months back I ran across @themakeupnation. I instantly fell in love with her gorgeous face and cute personality. I loved all the fun new products she was sharing (especially her daring but gorgeous lipstick choices) and her love for helping women with beauty really shows through. We connected and decided to collaborate our efforts! One really cool thing about any art (makeup being an art) is that there are so many perspectives and so many different ways to do it. It’s not just one way or the wrong way! In case you haven’t noticed yet, I am really into natural looking “Victoria’s Secret” type looks. It’s not the only way I do it but it’s definitely my favorite way. Although, I still appreciate more striking makeup, brighter colors and all other deviations from the natural looks. Juliann is a hairstylist and makeup artist herself so I though it would be really fun to show her all made up as usual and then show my – more dressed down- option. She looks absolutely beautiful in both images but I think it’s really fun to see two different approaches. What do you think?

jullianne

jullianne2

What I did: I started off with Makeup Forever HD Foundation in 140 blended in with a Beauty Blender. Next I went through and did some contouring. Can I just tell you, I could stare at her contouring all day!? I’m in love with it. My new contouring “detailer” I used on her cheeks and down the sides of her nose is rocking my WORLD! I cannot wait for it to be released. Often times I see contouring that really just looks like tanner skin (which isn’t a bad thing) but this really gray based creme looks like a perfect shadow no matter how close up you get, it makes sculpting more fun for me than it’s ever been. For her brows I used MAC Smut Eyeshadow and an angled brush to create a really sexy arch (she has permanent makeup on her brows so I needed to use a darker fill to match.) She has incredible almond eyes and I really wanted their natural shape to show through so I just dusted on color of shimmery neutral shadow over her lid and down at her lash line. – Champagne from the In the light Palette Then I used a shimmery brown (Gilded Gold from the In The Light Palette) right in her crease and topped that with mascara. (her liner is permanent on so I didn’t have to line at all) Next I stippled Princess Peach Blush into the apples of her cheeks. Lined her lips with NYX Taupe liner and filler them with Buxom Gloss in White Russian jullianne5 jullianne4  jullianne3 Beautiful Photography by Jessica Janae signature

128 Comments

Natalia
    June 23, 2014 at 4:39 am

Beautiful face! But for me with the second make up she looks older (skin darker and I think blush is too low). IMHO

Macama
      June 23, 2014 at 5:03 am

I was thinking the same thing. She looks older in the second pic. Eyebrows are nicer in second pic though.

Natalia
        June 23, 2014 at 5:05 am

Yep. I agree about brows.

jendavis33
        June 23, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I was just going to comment the same thing! She definitely looks younger in the first pic.

Bonnie
      June 23, 2014 at 6:18 am

My thoughts exactly.

M
      June 23, 2014 at 7:52 am

In the first pic I saw a stunning girl in the 20’s who’s single and having a blast. In the second pic, I see a stunning sophisticated mum with 2.5 kids, a dog and a white picket fence.

Both are very pretty looks. I would personally prefer to look younger though.

Forkoff!
      June 23, 2014 at 8:06 am

Totally agree, she looks older!

Nikki
      June 23, 2014 at 8:40 am

Natalia,
      That’s crazy because I clicked on the comments to write mine. I read yours and low & behold it was almost EXACTLY what I was going to say.
      I was going to say: She does look STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL in both but I agree Natalia the second look (the “Victoria’s Secret” look) does make her look older. Where I thought it made her look it was the cheek area, almost the illusion of slightly sagging cheeks. Of course she in NO way shape or form has saggy cheeks but the makeup on the cheeks almost gives her that look which does age her a bit. However, beautiful job on both. I especially LOVE the eyebrows on the “Victoria’s Secret” look.

Cara
      June 23, 2014 at 10:15 am

I think you are right about the blush and the contouring, I could have done it a bit higher! SEE this is why these kind of before and afters are so fun! Really good learning to be had:)

Natalia
        June 23, 2014 at 11:31 am

Yes! It’s very good opportunity to compare! The both makeups are pretty (you’ve done brilliant work with brows – I really like it). I thought a little bit more about makeups and think that one more thing that makes her older – eyeliners(in the first makeup lower eye line is thicker, in the second it’s thin and it makes outer side lower than inner) (sorry for my not good English – I’m not a native speaker).
        It’s just a note – more to me – I’m a newbie in make up and read a lot of blogs and see lots of videos to find new information 🙂
        And thank you for this type of makeup (before and after) 🙂

jes
      June 23, 2014 at 2:57 pm

She looks like shes trying too hard to look young in the first pic. She looks appropriate in the second. Jmo

Maddie
        June 25, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Yep. I have to agree with you. She’s stunning, but looks like she’s trying too hard to look young in the first picture, and she looks a little but more “fake” in the first picture, in my humble opinion.

Lyn
    June 23, 2014 at 4:43 am

Looks super! Definitely prefer your make-over. I really don’t care for the Pepto Bismol pink lips in the Before. Not a flattering color on her skin but the lip color you used looks great. Eyes look much better as well not quite as “done up” with the winged liner and such. Bravo!

Kara
    June 23, 2014 at 4:45 am

Brows are *loads* better in the “after.” Beautifully done.

JJ
    June 23, 2014 at 5:21 am

I agree that she does look older in the new picture but it is because her lips are not ice pink and she does not have think eye liner. I personally like Cara’s makeup better, it looks more mature and sophisticated.

Andrea
      June 24, 2014 at 1:26 am

I agree with you. Sophisticated, definitely.

Vanessa Key
    June 23, 2014 at 5:26 am

Eyebrows look much better in second picture :)I was a fanatic of big eyebrows till I tattooed them. Now I understand that less is better ^_^ She is beautiful really!
    Thanks for sharing her with us 🙂

Shiloh Barkley
    June 23, 2014 at 5:26 am

I like your brows and contouring better. I prefer her eye shadow and eye liner, blush and lipstick. Your shout outs to Victoria’s Secret make me cringe. You don’t really need to credit them. Love these makeovers! Keen em coming!

nwinegardner
      June 23, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I have to agree with the VS shoutouts– very cringeworthy!

caroline [the diy nurse]
    June 23, 2014 at 5:38 am

Beautiful! I love your version- she seems softer and more approachable 🙂

Tiffany
    June 23, 2014 at 5:57 am

She does look older in the second pic, but I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. Either way, she is beautiful in both pictures! Both looks are stunning!

Jessica
    June 23, 2014 at 6:07 am

Love the different looks and side by side photos to compare the different techniques! Does anyone else see a little Penelope Cruz in her? She’s beautiful!

Emerald Earrings
      June 23, 2014 at 6:14 am

I see it too! If I could choose to look like anyone in the world Penelope would probably top my list.

Emerald Earrings
    June 23, 2014 at 6:14 am

Contouring detailer? I’m drooling over here! Can’t wait to hear more details!
    p.s. I’m still reading through What Alice Forgot and I can’t quit telling everyone about it!

lehcar90
    June 23, 2014 at 6:25 am

i. am. OBSESSED!! fabulous makeover, i was so suprised to see something different, but in the best possible way 🙂 i love your makeovers cara, but sometimes i long to see something a bit different using a larger diversity of products, rather than one go-to look outfitted for multiple women. this is right on the money. i hope you keep pushing out of your comfort zone- the victoria’s secret model look is amazing, but even that can be played with. i like looking back at different VS fashion shows over the years and figuring how to take some 90s/millennium runway looks and make them wearable for day-to-day (or as they are for night, haha). anyway, love your blog no matter what but so happy with this particular makeover!

Cait
    June 23, 2014 at 6:26 am

She looks great in both pictures but a mix of both styles would have fit her better IMO. I love how you fixed her brows and the lip color you chose but I liked her more defined eye. Fixing her brows and lips made the world of difference and those two simple fixes with her eyes would have been awesome.

Stacie Quader
    June 23, 2014 at 6:37 am

I think she is gorgeous in both but it appears your shaping of her eyebrows and eyealiner makes her somewhat hooded eyes pull up and not draw as much attention to them.

kathleen
    June 23, 2014 at 6:40 am

She looks a much older in the second photo. I think it is the eye shadow ages her eyes. Love these makeovers. She is a beautiful girl.

Crystal
    June 23, 2014 at 6:51 am

Beautiful in both but look how her nose looks much more thin with her eyebrows closer and with your HC.

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    June 23, 2014 at 7:25 am

I freaking love it!

IMR
    June 23, 2014 at 7:29 am

I LOVE her makeup. The only thing I’d change would be those brows. Her makeup with your brows in the second picture = perfection.

Elaine
    June 23, 2014 at 8:17 am

I think the reason why some people think she looks older is that her face is more chiseled, which tends to happy as a woman’s face matures. I think she looks good in both pics, but I agree that her brows look wonderful in the second photo. I’m not a fan of the lipstick/lip gloss used in either pic, but that is just a personal preference. I liked seeing a make-under instead of the typical makeover. Interesting twist. I do think she’d also look awesome in even less makeup — just to see another version (maybe less eye shadow/eye liner). All in all, I really like her look and encourage you to keep doing these new twists from time to time. Can’t wait to also check out her blog. Keep up the great work, Cara! Always love checking in each morning to find there is a new post from you!

Andrea
      June 24, 2014 at 1:32 am

I forgot to contour one day, and my husband said I looked younger, too. Contouring definitely makes you look more womanly. He, and I both agree that contouring still looks better, even though it looks more mature. I loved her makeup in the second pic. Lovely.

sarah
    June 23, 2014 at 8:36 am

Beautiful!

stefanie sombaty
    June 23, 2014 at 8:45 am

The comments that say she looks “older” are giving a slightly negative connotation. What I think we are seeing is she looks more natural abs sophisticated. I think that makeup should enhance our natural beauty and while she is pretty, regardless of the makeup, the second picture allows herself to shine through while the first picture’s makeup is slightly off. Her eyes look spectacular in the second picture along with her natural shaped brow. The cheek bones with the contour blow me away too! I also prefer the lip gloss color in the second picture. Must be difficult to go from beautiful to gorgeous!

Carrie Frahm
    June 23, 2014 at 8:47 am

She really does look beautiful either way, but I like your look more. Her eyes really pop in the second photo, and her eyebrows are amazing! The contouring looks so nice and natural, especially on her nose and the apples of her cheeks. Gorgeous!

annon
    June 23, 2014 at 8:51 am

Wow, her eyebrows look SOOO much better in the 2nd pic. Wow. They look almost like a cartoon character’s in the first one and you can clearly see where her natural brows begin and the brow powder begins. She is clearly gorgeous though. Very pretty!

Wendy
    June 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

Her eye make up and contouring are way better on the second picture. The contouring could have been placed a bit higher but when you look at the other pictures below it’s hardly an issue. Also I know some people don’t like her before lipstick but I love it. Well done Cara as always!!

Danielle
    June 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

I think you did a wonderful job. The first photo doesn’t showcase her natural beauty. Your soft colors, contouring, and BROWS!!! did wonders for her. I think you are a true artist, and admire you.

Lindsey
    June 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

Okay, help me OUT which is the before and which is after!!!!!!!!!????????? I can’t tell because the brows!

Becca
    June 23, 2014 at 9:34 am

I’ve stared at this stunning woman for probably 20 minutes now trying to decide how I feel about these two looks!
    First off, holy cow she is gorg. Those eyes…. so, so pretty.
    I agree that she looks older in the second look, but not necessarily in a bad way. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that there is more contouring, which chisels out her features, combined with the fact that the style of makeup in the first look is not typically what you see older women using, therefore the contrast seems to age her. It’s just that… her first look is edgy. Older women don’t normally go for “edgy.” We’re socialized to see youth in edginess and age in the absence of edginess >>> My personal opinion. Both looks are good for her – just depends on what she’s going for, what she’s wearing, etc
    There are things that I like about both looks. I love both eye looks. I like what you did with her eyebrows – bringing them in closer together and a little more of a uniform shape. I keep imagining that if you kept your shape but made her brows a little thicker, that it would be perfect for her. I also think you did an INCREDIBLE job contouring her nose. IMHO, I think the cheek contouring comes in towards her mouth a little bit too far. In the first look I think the broader highlight around her mouth/nostril area helps enhance her youth. But overall, the contouring (especially on her nose – cannot emphasize that enough) looks wonderful. And her complexion looks flawless in the second look. (Is that a natural dark freckle under her right eye? Loving it!!) I’m honestly not a fan of either lip look. I think the first look is too bubblegum-pink and the second look is too glossy. I’d love to see her in a semi-matte color??
    Anyway, I say all this like I know jack-squat about putting makeup on *anyone*, myself included, and I DO NOT. So, my opinion is probably useless because I’m a novice.
    She’s beautiful either way. I’m sure she’s still drop-dead gorgeous without a stitch of makeup on.
    On another note, I really like this twist to your makeovers! It’s cool and fun! I’d love to see more of this!

Deena
    June 23, 2014 at 9:45 am

I think this just goes to show that even makeup artists need help once in a while-she looks unbelievably better in the after, especially her brows.

Bobbi C.
    June 23, 2014 at 9:54 am

Hi Cara. I can agree that she does look somewhat younger with her make-up mostly because her eyes look slightly larger and her skin lighter, but your make-up makes her look far softer and prettier, and I could stare at her contouring all day, too – cannot WAIT to see what this “detailer” is all about!

Either way, I can also agree it would be hard to make her look bad, and it’s great that you’ve connected so wonderfully with another artist. Sweet!

Sarah @ thegoldlininggirl.com
    June 23, 2014 at 10:06 am

I also feel that she looks quite a bit older in the second picture. I don’t mean it negatively, just that something about the contouring has given her a slightly more mature look. I think I prefer the “before” make-up slightly more, but there are elements of both that I like. Either way, she’s stunning. Reminds me of Eliza Dushku!

Cara
      June 23, 2014 at 10:14 am

THAT’S WHO IT IS! I’ve been wondering ever since I met her who I think she looks like! Thanks so much for filling me in!

Sherry Rebman
    June 23, 2014 at 10:29 am

Love the new look! She is absolutely gorgeous either way…but improvements with the shape of eyebrows make a huge difference!

Petra
    June 23, 2014 at 10:57 am

Fun twist on your Monday Makeover! She looks great! Do you know where her cute white t-shirt is from?

Crystal Howard
    June 23, 2014 at 10:59 am

Hi Cara, I was looking at my Stilia in the light palette and there’s not a color in it that’s called Champagne. Did you by chance use kitten on her lids?

Crystal Howard
    June 23, 2014 at 11:09 am

Oh yeah & I defiantly prefer Cara’s look. It’s a lot softer and more of a Gorgeous girl next door look.

Gina
    June 23, 2014 at 11:28 am

What blush does she have on in the first more made up photo? It’s gorgeous. Also can I pre-order your new makeup?

nwinegardner
    June 23, 2014 at 11:45 am

If I say I like the first better, I risk hurting your feelings, if I say I like the second better I risk hurting her feelings. Either way she is obviously gorgeous. Kudos to you both for putting yourselves out there on the receiving end of so much criticism!! I could never handle it!

Juliet
    June 23, 2014 at 11:56 am

Beautiful girl….I like Cara’s make up better! Where is her outfit from?? Love that shirt and those jeans!

Kelly R
    June 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Both lovely. You did such an amazing job on her brows! I have always liked the look of blush on the apples of the cheeks(Kate Middleton is my cheek muse), but recently I was watching a Wayne Goss video where he was saying that it can age you because when we aren’t smiling it makes our apples look lower and droopy. I’d have to say from this comparison he’s right. I love the look, but her cheeks do look a bit lower. Looking forward to the “detailer”!

Ashton
    June 23, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Both are really pretty, but the eyebrows are WAY better in the V.S. look.

Tracy
    June 23, 2014 at 12:21 pm

She is gorg,liking one over the other it isn’t a knock on her because it is just two different ways of doing HER makeup. I like some aspects of both the looks but I’m into a more natural look and so I like the second one better. My question is WHERE is her shirt from?!? I’ve been looking for a shirt like that for ages, and I love it!!!! Thanks

Janette
    June 23, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Yours is my favourite: very sophisticated and flattering, and gives her a lovely “glow.” Both are lovely though! Take all our comments with a grain of salt – you girls are both GORGEOUS however you do your makeup!

Ling
    June 23, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Hi, I can never see the pictures on my tablet so I don’t know what she looks like.

Mariah
      June 24, 2014 at 8:54 am

Try downloading the wordpress app and putting Maskcara in your reader

Ramona Beck
    June 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Both pics and styles are beautiful. Two totally different looks. She looks like Eliza Dushku in the first picture.

Cathy
    June 23, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Gorgeous girl, but I checked out her instagram and I am not a fan of how she shapes her brows. Very heavy and oddly shaped, it distracts you from her beautiful face. I really hope she liked how you did them, so much softer and natural. She looks like a different person, love this!

Melissa
    June 23, 2014 at 12:48 pm

2nd picturei! she looks stunning! The 1st picture she is too made up :0( 2nd she is more approachable and her true beauty shows :0)

Miranda Mataafa
    June 23, 2014 at 1:40 pm

It would be awesome to see a double makeover – her make up on you too!!

lynda
    June 23, 2014 at 1:49 pm

How do you get in line for a makeover by you? 🙂

lynda
      June 23, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Seriously though, how?

Julia
    June 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm

i think her nose is overcontoured in the second picture. It is accentuating the crookedness, which i did not notice at all in the first. eyebrows are way better in the second picture though.

Heidi
    June 23, 2014 at 3:30 pm

It is funny the varying differences of opinions. I never once considered which looked younger or older- just more and less. I love the contouring of her nose in the 2nd picture, I have worked on this for myself and honestly like 1 time got what I was happy with and I have been working on it for 8 months with your help (apparently I am not good at listening, reading and adhering to your advise). Beautiful job! Of course you did have a beautiful model to start with …… gotta give her some props too!

Melissa
    June 23, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I disagree that she looks older. I think the colors in the first are something a younger person would use but her whole face looks more refined and her features pop instead of the makeup in the second photo. The lighter center of her lips in the second photo combined with the high gloss may be too much, one or the other would be better IMO. Love your take on her makeup, as always amazing transformation!!

Haley
    June 23, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Much classier in the 2nd pic. Too old to be wearing that much make up like in the first pic. Too fake looking.

michelle
    June 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I don’t see how she can possibly look old in either picture. I love them both and can’t decide because I can only see her gorgeous brown eyes.

Heather
    June 23, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Cara, I love your version. Her face looks more balanced instead of eye heavy. The makeup in the first shot is distracting and I find myself looking at her makeup and not seeing HER. Well done! Gorgeous.

Linzie
    June 23, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Love my GORGEOUS friend, she looks perfect either way!

Allison
    June 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

She is a beautiful woman and both looks suit her well. I disagree that she looks “older” (which seemed to be used in a derogatory way above, unfortunately) in Cara’s version…I think her makeup is more intense and edgy in the original, which some may equate with youth; and more sophisticated and polished in the second. I love the contouring Cara did, and those brows are GORGEOUS! Fun to see two different artists take on her makeup! Great job, both of you!

Rebecca
    June 23, 2014 at 5:08 pm

She is gorgeous either way-but eyebrows are definitely so much better in the “after” photo. My hubby saw this makeover and said her “before” looked like the lady in “Just Go With It” movie with the wonky eyebrows at the doctors office! http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/6jkPpzXDNYU/hqdefault.jpg
    Great work Cara!! :o)

Caity
    June 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm

She is very pretty either way but from the picture, I would guess her age to be 25 in the first picture and at least 40 in the second picture 🙂
    Small changes do make such a difference

kellysparklesandshoes
    June 23, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I agree, the second is my fave!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Angie H
    June 23, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I think she looks chic and sophisticated with your makeover. Definitely a sexier look. I LOVE it!!

Bonnie
    June 23, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I’m definitely a fan of the ‘Cara’ version. I don’t think she looks older in the second photo, but rather I think she looks far more sophisticated and beautiful. In my opinion the more made-up version seems too young a look for her any way and the Cara look is far more flattering and it emphasises her natural features, rather than hides them under a bunch fof makeup. But again, that is my own preference. More importantly, it is Juliann who needs to be the one to feel great wearing whichever look she feels best in. The scouse brow is not one of my favourite looks, but again, that is my preference and I am not the one wearing it. I hope Juliann feels fabulous in both of the looks. It would be so boring if we all wore the same look! Oh, and Cara, the contouring is bee-YOO-tiful. x Bonnie

Lisa Scott Provost
    June 24, 2014 at 5:37 am

First. Omahgaaash. The stars of the show are definitely your brows. It’s crazytown what just that one feature does to her entire essence!

I don’t think it’s that she looks *older* (but once you contour you do lose that undefined look of a little baby fat in the face!), it’s that I would totally take that second woman seriously! The first version is pretty, clearly! but my first impression would be that maybe she was still figuring herself out.

#2 just looks like she is completely comfortable in her skin and doesn’t need tricky stuff! Amazing. Makes me think harder about what I just kind of haphazardly throw on my own face, ha!

Debutante
    June 24, 2014 at 7:08 am

She looks a little older in the second picture BECAUSE ….in the first she makes the mistakes some younger women make with makeup !!

Too Heavy handed with the eye liner, brows are NOT good, the shadow looks great, so do the lips, but honestly, her face looks more polished in the second picture.

One question, what’s up with the eyelashes ?

Sam
    June 24, 2014 at 7:41 am

The eyebrows are AMAZING in Cara’s version! I’ve been staring at the difference for minutes on end. I see what you girls are saying about the contouring, but overall I much prefer Cara’s version. So much more polished. Beautiful model and great job. 🙂

RC
    June 24, 2014 at 7:47 am

This is such a great post! I love the different takes on makeup. Its seriously inspiring! Both looks have their place and you both have waaaaay more talent than I. I’ve taken inspiration from both the before (Thick liner on upper lid) and after (brows, WOW!!!) application that hopefully I can use one day soon! 🙂

Leah Fukofuka
    June 24, 2014 at 8:35 am

Love my beautiful sister Juliann! <3

TheMakeupNation
    June 24, 2014 at 9:24 am

Thanks so much for the opportunity, Cara!! FYI: my shirt and jeans are both from Boehme. 🙂

Leah Fukofuka
      June 24, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Dude! So many haterz hahaha. Freak! So many nice people too, though.

Linzie
        June 24, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Leah!!! I’ve been holding my toungue all day!!!!! Ahhh..

Leah
          June 25, 2014 at 5:20 pm

hahahahaha go down to comment 77 she says I’m “worse” with my eyebrows hahahahha like thaaaaanks

J
    June 24, 2014 at 10:03 am

No. You need to seriously ease off the nose contouring. Her nose is fine, it doesn’t need to be “contoured.” How is shading a girls nose so far into Michael Jackson territory considered a natural look?

lburrell2013
    June 24, 2014 at 11:43 am

I haven’t read thru all the comments, but all I see in the first pic is eyebrows and eyeliner, which is why I much prefer the second pic! Beautiful lady! 😉

emily
    June 24, 2014 at 11:59 am

The after is a million times better. Contouring is amazing! This would have been a great video. I want to see have you did it in action

Lidia
    June 24, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I so agree with Emily!! No contest!! Looks stunningly beautiful!! The first one looks too heavy handed and her eyebrows are horrible. Can’t believe that being a makeup artist she would do that to herself. Just wrong!!

M
    June 24, 2014 at 3:21 pm

She is certainly a very pretty girl. I spent some time looking at her instagram, so I could get a feel for how the two make up looks really compare. I noticed some people saying she looks ” older” in the second picture. I don’t think that’s the right word though. She looks more refined in the cara look. A skilled hand vs. a heavy hand. Not to say she isn’t skilled, I just couldn’t find a better word comparison. Her heavy, awkwardly shaped brows are difficult to get past. Just that change alone takes her from pretty, but heavily made up, to a gorgeous woman. She ultimately looks younger with a fresher, more refined cara look. What fun change of pace for makeovers!

Sarah
    June 24, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Beautiful Lady!! I see a strong resemblance to the actress, Eliza Dushku.

I really learn a lot from your makeovers. It’s very helpful. Thanks.

Sheena
    June 24, 2014 at 9:01 pm

A beautiful model and two great looks. Neat idea. It wouldn’t be easy to put yourself out there and have to scroll through some critical comments. Thanks for sharing, it was fun to see two techniques on one beautiful face.

lurlyn
    June 24, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Hi, Cara!
    What is your opinion on permanent makeup? I have such a hard time getting my eyebrows looking good…I’m missing hair on one side/the hair grows in a different direction.

Sarah
    June 25, 2014 at 5:20 am

She’s gorgeous, anyway the makeup goes on:-). And as always,, I love your tutorials and information. I have changed up my own makeup application, both techniques and some products at your recommendation and feel like I’m really getting the hang of achieving a more polished flattering look. Thank you! More please 🙂

Jessica
    June 25, 2014 at 9:50 am

Both look beautiful! It’s nice to see two different takes on makeup 🙂

Annie
    June 25, 2014 at 11:16 am

You are stunning. Thanks for putting yourself out there. I love the eyeshadow/lipstick in the first look. Everyone needs a fun pink to wear…it just makes you happy! 😉 and I agree with others….those eyes! So pretty.

Tris
    June 25, 2014 at 11:47 am

Great job on the second look! I have been following her on her Instagram feed and have been dying to have someone teach her not to do those ridiculously thick “caterpillar” eyebrows that she wears daily. I about died when I saw her eyebrow tutorial with her sister. (Her sister’s eyebrows are even worse than hers. WAY to thick and dark.) I agree that the contouring is a little too extreme, especially her nose and cheeks. But the makeup that she does is way too heavy. It makes her look like she’s trying too hard. Nothing worse than a 35+ woman still wearing makeup styles from her 20’s. She is a beautiful woman so I don’t know why she wears so much makeup that just covers up that beauty. Especially her beautiful eyes. You enhance her eyes a lot better. I watched her video response to this and one thing really bugged me. She said something to the fact that her face is just the way God made it. But that’s just not true! I know from following her that her eyebrows, lips, eyeliner, hair color, and even a small freckle are all tattoed on. Sorry, but those things are definitely not the way God made them. Hoping she will take some of your tips and use them on her own face.

TheMakeupNation
      June 25, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Actually my eyebrows are naturally thick, dark, mad not symmetrically shaped.

TheMakeupNation
      June 25, 2014 at 3:20 pm

And I’m not 35+.

Leah
      June 25, 2014 at 5:17 pm

hahahahahaha thanks for the insult. Maybe someone can teach YOU not to be so critical and rude! We all have different styles, so again, thanks for that!

Tris
        June 25, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I wouldn’t say rude. I’d say constructive criticism. I made mention that she is a beautiful woman. I’ve seen an IG photo of her with no makeup and she is naturally gorgeous. That’s why I don’t understand why she wears so much makeup that in many ways covers up that natural beauty. But that is her choice. As far as the eyebrows go, I will stick with my original opinion and clearly I’m not alone. Close to 40 different people have made a comment about not liking her eyebrows the way she (and you) do them. Way too heavy. And seeing her no make-up pic and your video tutorial on eyebrows, it’s obvious that her eyebrows are not that thick naturally. I don’t think you need to call me rude or label people as “haters” just because we give our opinions on a side-by-side comparison photo. No one is attacking her character or saying she’s a bad person. I know she’s your sister and I think it’s awesome that you look after her. But at the end of the day, let’s take a breath and remember that t’s just make-up. I wish you both the very best.

Leah
          June 25, 2014 at 7:24 pm

She wears make-up because it’s her passion, and she loves to try new things. And you’re right, it is just make-up, so it’s frustrating to see people be harsh. I respect your opinion, however.

Bethany
          July 12, 2014 at 12:36 am

You do realize she shapes her eyebrows via waxing and tweeting. So really, you don’t know what the thickness or shape of her brows are naturally. Ps your comment was rude.

Jessica
    June 25, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Hi Cara and other possible commenters! 🙂

I know a lot of people probably ask this, to the point that you most likely will have an automatic answer ready, but I’m extremely pale/fair. I’m talking, I’ve tried EVERYTHING. Every foundation and or concealer I’ve ever tried is too dark for me. Most of them look good/okay in the store lighting, but the second I go near any natural light or a professional makeup artist’s light, I’M ORANGE.

Current list of all the brands I’ve tried:
    Every drugstore brand imaginable (Elf, revlon, neutogena, maybeline, NYX, etc.)
    All the high end (D&G, Chanel, YSL, Estee Lauder, Clinique, etc.)
    MAC
    Smashbox
    Japonesque
    Tarte
    Laura Geller
    Laura Mercier
    IT Cosmetics
    (tried in all kinds of mediums: cremes, liquid, powders, sticks, etc.)
    Mixers: mac face & body in white, makeup for ever liquid pigment

I could put the whole list up, but I’m pretty sure you get the gist. Add on the facts: combo skin, oily t-zone, redness in t-zone, purple/blue under-eye circles (from being pale), plus acne. The one thing I did find is that Makeup For Ever makes a white pigment you can add to things, which is nice, but it takes away the amount of coverage of the product you add it to (it’s the best mixer I’ve found so far). I’m really interested in trying your HAC pack Cara as well to see if your fair one is light enough for me.

I’m looking for a medium coverage foundation and a high coverage concealer(s) for under-eye and acne spots, things that I can add a white pigment to to make them lighter OR that are lighter than any of the possible products listed above. Also if anyone has any other mixers that they’ve heard of for us pale people, I’d love to hear about it. Anything that anyone has to share for fair-skinned makeup would be amazing.

Sorry it’s so long. Thanks everyone! 🙂

rekoniva
    June 25, 2014 at 2:19 pm

OMG she is so so pretty! what shape do you think her eyes are? deep set or protruding?? i think i have the same. would you consider doing a series on makeup for certain eye shapes? and i agree, a double makeover (she makes YOU over) would be a fun change. keep up the great job!

Melanie VDG
    June 25, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I really love both looks! I love the different perspectives. You’re doing great things, Cara, and your models! Thank you dearly for your blog posts!

Jessica
    June 25, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Everyone has their own personal preference and approach to doing makeup. Part of the beauty of makeup is the fact that there really isn’t a wrong way to do it, just different styles and trends. I think it’s a little unnecessary to heavily criticize Juliann for her personal style and physical features. Let’s keep it positive!

Cara
      June 25, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Yes!!! I couldn’t agree more!!!

Jennifer
    June 25, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Very pretty girl. I love the look you gave her much better, hands down. Your contouring is amazing- especially on her nose because it creates the illusion of being much smaller/ narrower….and, lets face it, who wouldn’t want that?!? Beautiful job Cara! P.S. Please give yourself a standing ovation on the eyebrows! So much more beautiful, soft and natural the way you did them. She’s an attractive girl but those eyebrows were definitely on the thicker side and oddly shaped which created somewhat of a distraction….or maybe I should say….diverted attention away from the rest of her face. I think you did her a favor by making her even prettier! Fabulously done! Now can you please give me a makeover??? 🙂

Tinag
    June 25, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I turn to this blog every few days for a boost. Cara is always upbeat and positive, and quite often her posts make me stop and think about things beyond makeup and fashion. My take-away from this post was that subtle changes in makeup can really change your entire look—which is why I love makeup so much to begin with.

I have always had skin issues, so I use makeup to try and cover flaws and make myself feel more confident. Many of my friends only wear makeup for a special occasion. Neither is right or wrong, just a personal choice in how we approach the world. There were some dark days that I felt like not leaving my house due to acne and scarring, but learning the art of makeup changed my entire outlook on life. I browse through fashion magazines to be inspired by the looks created by the makeup artists. Most are looks I would never personally be bold enough to try, but I find inspiration from the different looks. This post to me is inspiring. One beautiful girl with unlimited possibilities… different features to play up or down on any given day. I admire you both for sharing your artistry with us!

Julia
    June 26, 2014 at 5:16 am

IT’s great that she tries new things but we’re just trying to help. It looks BAD. If there was something about me I was doing to make myself way uglier I would want to know.

Melody
      June 26, 2014 at 11:33 am

How about an ugly attitude? Would you want to know about that? What a horrible thing to say. I just can’t get over people these days. What happened to saying nothing at all if you can’t say something nice? Because saying something ugly and harsh is NOT helpful. It just makes you look like a jerk.

JNJxn
    June 26, 2014 at 7:15 am

Okay, I’m new to this blog…referred to it from thesmallthingsblog…and anyway, Juliann, if you read this, I think you are only taking away the negative and not seeing the positive in some of these comments. (I do hope you see the positive.) Yes, some people on here have been way too harsh–unfortunately some people are just cruel. But most people on here are RAVING over how gorgeous you are. Raving. Most of the people who prefer Cara’s look go on to say how beautiful you are anyway–in your own makeup. Cara (hello, Cara! :)), made it clear about how the cool thing about makeup is, is it’s so versatile–even among you professionals. I think the point of this makeover post was to do a comparison. People are comparing the two looks. That’s all it is–aside from people who are just unkind. Please keep your chin up. I don’t think that some people on here are meaning to hurt your feelings–they are just giving an honest thought on comparing two different looks on the same person. That person happens to be you–and you have gotten NUMEROUS compliments on here about how naturally beautiful you are. And you are. Very, very stunning. Just keep doing your thing and don’t only take away the negative here. Cara, aside from all of this craziness, this was very cool. 🙂 I haven’t seen too often two or more different people applying makeup to the same person and getting their different takes on it. This was fun. Juliann, best of luck to you. God bless you. Leah, I love how you are stepping in for your sister. 🙂 Very sweet. On a sidenote, I found your hair curling tutorial (I think it’s just your everyday way to do it), Juliann, and used it to curl my hair yesterday–and LOVED IT!!! So, thank you!! You girls take care and keep on giving out such great tips!

Christa
    June 26, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I love this look! I think the second look fits her age a bit better, and the photos of her makeover are amazing! Love it!

Elizabeth
    June 27, 2014 at 11:22 am

Man I love some stuff about both looks! How you did the face, brows (especially), and eye shadow I like better but her own lip color and eyeliner (only because its not uniform around the eye) I like for her.

Nancy Block
    June 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Love the softer way you did in second one.

makeupbyjbravo
    June 30, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Love her shirt…Where to buy? 🙂

Jen
    June 30, 2014 at 5:52 pm

She looks more ethnic in the Cara version, which I feel is only a good thing. Some people seem to be reading the second look as older but I think it’s really just more sophisticated and professionally made up. Well done, she looks lovely.

carriemeduncan
    July 1, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Gorgeous!!!!! I think she looks exactly like Larsa Pippen!

JuliaBobbin (@JuliaBobbin)
    July 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Oh wow! Firstly this woman is gorgeous! You could probably throw a bucket of paint over her face and she would still be a knock out. When I first saw her photo I thought, I don’t know how you’re going to top this, she looks so good. But then I saw your makeover and I’m blown away!

I don’t think your makeup makes her look older at all, I think it makes her look more refined and sophisticated and perhaps people associate that with looking ‘older’ (though she looks fabulous in her own makeup style too!) Cara I think you got this makeover absolutely spot on. It’s natural, it really emphasises her beautiful face and seems more authentic somehow. P.s. you are an absolute master with contouring! Can’t wait to get my hands on your new products!

Randi m
    August 5, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Hi cara, I’d love to buy the eyeshadow but the sephora link you provided doesn’t work. What is the name/color of the shadow you used? Thank you kindly’

ray ban aviator miroir
    August 28, 2014 at 9:37 am

Tieshou compromis, il se rappela les trois conteur préféré précédente Young, broyage son visage Zhuiming ou paresseux, je ne pouvais pas obtenir un morceau de ce qui ressemble à l’esprit:. On n’est pas assez, je veux apprendre quatre choses, vous devez parler de la quatre.

August 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

Avant son réalisateur, Alexi a dû apprendre la photographie professionnelle à Londres, puis à Londres, New York et d’autres villes qui vivent en tant que photographe de mode, qui a Leonardo DiCaprio et Kate Moss et d’autres grands magazines internationaux ligne étoile filante photo et subtiles films à succès de pousses de mode saveur ajoutée aux États-Unis pour montrer la beauté et l’apparence du corps extérieur de sentiments et de conflits intérieurs des personnages à travers la lentille d’excavation. Alexi admet: mon préféré a toujours été préoccupé par les chiffres, tirer sur les gens, et je veux juste tirer sur les gens et c’est pourquoi je préfère laisser la peau œuvres de Gao Qi et de l’intention des conservateurs de cette exposition de photographies …

ARowe
    September 20, 2014 at 12:02 am

It seems some people might not realize something on the eyebrows. Eyebrow styles are a preference – I liken it to hair highlights – some people like them really dramatic and bold and some people like them natural and subtle. But as you wouldn’t go dramatic and bold highlights only on the bottom two inches of your long hair or on only the left side or only the right side of your head (well probably not … as it would look too weird), you wouldn’t/shouldn’t shape your eyebrows wide-set apart like in pic 1. It distorts the face, and that’s why almost every comment mentioned the preference to pic 2 on the eyebrows. You can go wider, thinner, rounder, etc., on them, but keep them a TAD bit closer together in the center and it should work. I like the natural eyebrow look in pic 2 though, but I also like Miley Cyrus in her natural brown hair.

ARowe
      September 20, 2014 at 12:30 am

I meant to point out that specifically her left eyebrow is too far wide-set. The eyebrow edge should be right about the start of the inner eye, and the left one is further left.

kim
    January 26, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I have her coloring and would love to know what colors in your new kit you’d use for her. I’m struggling on finding what colors would suit me and came across her.

Thanks.