Hair Hair Tutorials Tutorials

Big Beachy Waves for Fine Straight Hair

beachwaves

A while back I did this hair style on Mandi (who has thin straight hair naturally) Then a few weeks ago I met Mandi’s Sister in law Lindsay, who also has fine straight hair so I figured it was about time we went ahead and filmed this tutorial with the tricks to making big beachy curls that actually stay!

I gotta tell you though. Let’s just get the elephant out of the room before you even watch. I’ve got, like, Elvis style side burns going on in this video.
I’m aware of the problem. It has been remedied …but what’s done is done.
Try to enjoy it anyway:)

What I used:

LOTS of Oribe Beach Spray (although, on Mandi we used my homemade version HERE)
1″ Hot Tools curling iron
Because of the price I don’t think I would recommend this hairspray, I was just trying it out.
You want something flexible but with a good hold like this Rockoholic one I LOVE.

59 Comments

Tammy
    June 18, 2014 at 10:11 am

Don’t you want to come and visit me in Florida? I need a makeover for my family pictures! And there’s plenty of golf for Nick and we have lots of Cars and TMNT for Christian!

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Haha I wanna come see you!! Miss you!

Emerald Earrings
    June 18, 2014 at 10:12 am

LOL girl I would have thought nothing of the Elvis sideburns if you hadn’t brought it up. hahaha I love you. And I love this tutorial too! I just got my first Hot Tools iron, a 1″… I am beyond excited about it!

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 9:56 pm

haha ! Oh I am so excited for you!!!!

Beth and Beauty
    June 18, 2014 at 10:18 am

I will be using your tips for my straight fine hair! I have a review of a hair care product on my blog you and your readers may want to read before you purchase your next hair conditioner! Don’t get taken in by all the hype on some products.

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    June 18, 2014 at 10:20 am

Love it! Thanks 🙂

Miranda
    June 18, 2014 at 10:22 am

I’d love to see this hair about 4 hours later. I am great at getting my hair into gorgeous curls and waves… but no matter how long I let the curls set or what product I use, it seems to fall right out within an hour. I’m left with hair that isn’t straight, but isn’t curled and just looks dirty.

Shannon Lancaster-Commeau
      June 18, 2014 at 10:28 am

Wash your hair the night before so it has plenty of drying time and put a gel in it when it is wet. I have to do that with my fine limp hair and the curls stay way better than washing it that day and blow drying! 🙂

Carey
      June 18, 2014 at 11:07 am

Hi Miranda! I have had baby fine hair since I was a child (the barrettes would actually slip out of my hair) and a couple of things have worked for me: lightly spray each strand of hair right before curling it; then, use her “twirl curl” technique (tutorial here: http://www.maskcara.com/2012/06/26/twirl-curls/) where you twirl the hair strand with your fingers once you release it from the curling iron. Once that’s done, I don’t touch my hair until I get to work and lightly tousle it to loosen the curls. Hope this helps!

Carey
        June 18, 2014 at 11:08 am

Sorry, forgot to specify, “lightly spray each strand of hair with *hair spray* right before curling it” 🙂

Miranda
      June 20, 2014 at 5:03 am

Thanks, ladies. I’ve definitely tried all of the above. I’ve gone nearly 30 years wishing for waves. My hair has even rejected a perm back in the 80s and fallen out of curls set overnight in foam rollers.

I do the things you mention, just have no luck!

whatacuriousplan
      November 30, 2015 at 4:33 pm

I used to have the same problem! The only iron I was able to keep curls in my hair with was a Conair curling wand. Then I talked to a hair stylist who told me that fine hair needed a temp of 400 degrees or higher to keep the curls in! So now if I’m buying a new curling iron I make sure it can go up to 400 degrees at least. (I also use a heat protector spray to make sure I’m doing as little damage as possible.)

Allison
    June 18, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hi! Love this tutorial. Would you do anything different for a humid climate?

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Ah the humidity! I would probably throw a few clips in after curling and let it set that was for a while if it was really humid outside!

kates
    June 18, 2014 at 11:00 am

1. THANK YOU for this tutorial. I have fine, thin stick straight hair and this totally helps!!! Thank you commenters for the excellent tips as well!

2. please come to Iowa (ya know that flyover state in the Midwest)!! I could so use a tutorial on how to do my own hair! I swear my hair stylist never do as good of a job as you!!!

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 10:07 pm

On my way! hahaha You are more than welcome!

Amy F
    June 18, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I made your DIY recipe and tried it last week but my hair felt gross. I’ve never used a sea salt spray before, is that normal? Or did I use too much?

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 1:01 pm

It’s pretty easy to use too much for this recipe, since it has sugar in it! It will make your hair a little sticky while it’s at but once it dries it should feel textured but not gross!

Kacey
    June 18, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hello! I love all of your help/videos. I have naturally wavy hair but because it is so thick it does not look pretty. Do you have any recommendations? I also live in Texas where the humidity can be unreal at times.

Thank you!

Kacey

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Do you have layers?? That is huge for thick hair looking great curly!

Randi
    June 18, 2014 at 1:51 pm

This is awesome! What about Thick hair though? How would you adapt this for thick hair?

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 10:08 pm

the main difference would just be using less product!

Boni
    June 18, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I read in beauty magazines that if you have overly thick hair you can have your stylist thin it out to help it look better and more swingy. Just make sure the person cutting your hair is good and knows how to do that correctly, but it’s definitely an option. I hope this helps some!! 🙂

Ashley H
    June 18, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I have super fine, thin, straight hair so thanks for this video! I love this look! (also, your sideburns looked fine, girl. Don’t stress. You’re so gorgeous!)

Summer
    June 18, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Where’s the top from?? Pregnant with my third boy and I NEED it for this Texas heat!! Thanks!!

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I got it at a cute boutique in Utah Called Blue Linen, but I’ll check around on the internets to see if it can be found anywhere else! Good luck with that heat gorgeous!

Summer
        June 19, 2014 at 7:14 am

thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I’m on the hunt!

Theresa A Meyer
    June 18, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I have some awesome amethyst hair going on now. I use sulfate free hair products to help maintain it. Is the salt spray stuff ok for colored hair?

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Any salt will dry it or a little but this one is more sugar so it’s actually healthier for you hair! Just use it sparingly 🙂

Darcy
    June 18, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Your top is SO CUTE!!! Where is it from?

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Kate
    June 18, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Sideburns? I wouldn’t have thought of that. I know you’re just poking fun at yourself, but when you’re so critical of yourself it makes some of us feel like there’s something wrong with us for having perfectly normal hair on our face…just a thought.

Cara
      June 18, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Oh man! I hope no one takes me too seriously, I’m totally just joking around:)

Melinda
    June 18, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I would love to have a big beachy waves hairstyle for this summer as my current hairstyle is plain straight. So I decided to change it! Thank you for the tips!

Angie
    June 19, 2014 at 6:29 am

So I have curly hair and was going to skip over this post, but SO glad I didn’t! That facial hair video was hilarious!! At 27 weeks pregnant my face is getting furry (blonde, but still!!) where can I find that little facial razor they use? Any recommendations???

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    June 19, 2014 at 6:53 am

I think you hair looks great and I appreciate that you have a sense of humor 🙂 Keep being you! Love the video 🙂

Shelly
    June 19, 2014 at 7:43 am

So pretty!….You should do a tutorial video on HEATLESS CURLS!! – Maybe the best way to do overnight pin curls? – That would be awesome! =)

Christina
    June 19, 2014 at 9:32 am

Just wondering if you are in Saint George yet? I would
    love a make over from you! 🙂

Brooke
    June 19, 2014 at 10:23 am

I’d love some hair ideas for really really thick hair. I find that a lot styles don’t work on my long, layered, wavy and thick hair. I’m constantly putting it in a bun or ponytail when I don’t have time to fix it. Strands always stick out of braids and I can’t seem to get the whole braid thing down.

Hannah Robinett
    June 19, 2014 at 11:01 am

Do you recommend anything to protect your hair from curling iron heat? I have fine limp hair and I feel like after I curl it, it’s super dry. Especially after a few times of curling. Help!

Kelsey
    June 20, 2014 at 1:06 pm

You just did Celene Dion’s hair!

Boni
    June 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Awesome tutorial, by the way Miss Cara the Wonderful!! I love your sense of humor! I poke fun at myself, too. 🙂 It’s important not to take one’s self too seriously. Ask any comedian! Keep being yourself and doing your thing. 😉 🙂

Brooke
    June 27, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I live at the beach, and can’t get my hair to do this :/ I’ll be giving your homemade spray a try though. I would love to see this on shorter hair also. Mine is barely shoulder length and usually ends up looking like a cotton ball.

מסגריות בראשל"צ
    August 28, 2015 at 9:51 am

Another option to have a secure home is to change your lock rather than install
    a new. It’s possible you’ll even search for evaluations online.
    A locksmith Apache service provider will be able to help you
    install a wide variety of locks and security devices that can improve the security of your house.

Kate
    September 11, 2015 at 9:52 am

Can you revive this look the next day?

Elvis sideburns? So where is your peanut butter, banana & bacon sandwich?!

Bestdishwashers2014.org
    October 6, 2015 at 4:05 pm

obviously like your web-site but you need to check the spelling on several of your
    posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and
    I in finding it very troublesome to tell
    the truth however I’ll surely come back again.

subway surfers online
    February 24, 2017 at 2:56 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Informations on that Topic: maskcara.com/2014/06/18/big-beachy-waves-for-fine-straight-hair/ […]

hampton bay remote
    February 24, 2017 at 6:39 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Find More Informations here: maskcara.com/2014/06/18/big-beachy-waves-for-fine-straight-hair/ […]

hampton ceiling fans
    February 24, 2017 at 7:58 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 36485 more Infos: maskcara.com/2014/06/18/big-beachy-waves-for-fine-straight-hair/ […]

penis enlargement
    March 1, 2017 at 9:07 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: maskcara.com/2014/06/18/big-beachy-waves-for-fine-straight-hair/ […]

gp t3
    March 3, 2017 at 4:50 am

Skrota bilen Kungsbacka
    March 4, 2017 at 1:25 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More Infos here: maskcara.com/2014/06/18/big-beachy-waves-for-fine-straight-hair/ […]

men on men
    March 8, 2017 at 1:47 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2014/06/18/big-beachy-waves-for-fine-straight-hair/ […]

Firstrow
    March 9, 2017 at 4:40 pm

cara menang sky99
    March 11, 2017 at 8:01 am

… [Trackback]

how to get into someones facebook account
    March 15, 2017 at 12:12 am

Adult Chat
    March 18, 2017 at 11:44 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 33072 more Infos: maskcara.com/2014/06/18/big-beachy-waves-for-fine-straight-hair/ […]

gedget.ae
    March 19, 2017 at 2:43 am

home page
    July 27, 2017 at 12:28 am

home page

Howdy! I know this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask. Does managing a well-established website such as yours take a lot of work? I am brand new to running a blog however I do write in my diary on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I can…