This might be common knowledge but I’ve been asked what the difference is fairly often lately so I thought I’d clear it up:)
I can see why these two things so often can get confused.
They are both highlighter, but (aside from highlighting of course) they serve different purposes.
Highlighting Illuminator is essentially a lighter colored shimmer or pearly product, they come in powder, cream and liquid versions.
They highlight by lightening up the skin and giving it a sheen which makes the light hit it. These are perfect for the highpoint of the cheek bone, the bow of the lip & the high point of the brow bone.
Highlighting concealers are a concealer that’s lighter than your skin tone. They are often yellow based and sometimes have a hint of a sheen to them as well but it’s much more subtle. These are perfect for brightening up your under eyes, down the bridge of the nose and on your chin.
I usually use them both in conjunction, but here I demonstrated the effect separately:
I also thought I’d round op some of my favorites of both for you incase you’re on the prowl:)
1. Becca Shimmering Skin Protector: For those of you who are oily and would rather be illuminating with powder to help cut the grease, this one is BY FAR my favorite powder for the job. It’s such a gorgeous color and the shimmer is very fine, so you won’t look like a disco ball.
2. E.L.F in Lilac Petal.: For gals on a budget, this one is really pretty and for the price of a banana. It’s a total steal!
3. Becca Shimmering Skin Protector Liquid: This one is much more pricey but SO gorgeous. It’s smooth and the shimmer is very soft. Plus it comes in a few colors, which is really helpful for different skin tones.
4. Maskcara: I was SUPER picky when I formulated this because I wanted it to reflect light like a pearl rather than a diamond. Giving s dewey brightness, instead of a glittery one.
5. IT Cosmetics: 2 great things about this baby is that 1 – it’s anti-aging & 2- it’s super hydrating. Making it a perfect choice for aging skin.
6. Marc Jacobs in Stand Corrected: This is another GREAT choice for aging skin. The formula will not get caught in fine lines and wrinkles and the color is gorgeous.
7. Maskcara IID Foundation: Cover imperfections and get that brightness in the perfect shade plus it comes with the contour as well! (Medium is out but Light & Dark are still available!:)
8. Dream Lumi Touche: A LONG time favorite of mine! Is a great choice that won’t break the bank!
9. Mary Kay in Yellow: My sister Rachel turned me on to this and I LOVE it. For those of you who are dying for the medium to be back in stock, this is a great alternative!