Beauty Basics Makeup Makeup Products Tips & Tricks

Tip Tuesday: Stay Put.

As soon as the warm seasons hit I start getting this question every single day:

How do I get my makeup to stay put during the day?
Cause most of us aren’t dying to hit the bathroom at around 3pm and realize all of our hard work has vanished into nothing but smeary eyed remnants.

Seriously good advice for keeping your makeup from melting off through the day!

(also, who am I kidding with this photo?  I wouldn’t be one bit dismayed if my makeup was smeared as long as it looked like that!)

I come to you with strategies.
All of which make a huge difference, even if you only pick on of them.

1. Foundation Primer:

When people ask me what my favorite primer is it’s usually a tough question, because I feel like many of them do different things from each other.
My latest favorite for overall priming and longevity would be the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.
I LOVE this product because it magically works on both oily and dehydrated skin. Somehow managing to even out both. Who knows how? It gives a sot, silky evened out canvas that your foundation will cling to. I use it on EVERYONE lately and have yet to be disappointed.  It’s pricy but it will take you ages to go through it.

2. Eyeshadow Primer:

I often skip this step and start with a concealer of a colored shadow base instead and I’ll tell you why: It REALLY works. Meaning when I blend some Urban Decay Primer Potion (or my DIY version)  onto the lid ANY shadow that is applied on top of it will not be moving one iota until I wash my face. Sometimes, when I’m doing a more blended smokey eye this can be a little problematic! But on hot days or with brides or runny eyes or oily faces it’s an absolute must! You can still get a blended eye it just takes a little more work with the smudging, which is much better than goopy eyes later in the day.

3. The Layering Technique:

To keep your eyeliner from smudging!

This one is my money maker. The technique that all the celebrity makeup artists use to ensure not just flawless makeup but makeup that will last from dawn til dusk.
It’s quite simple. Start with a cream set with a powder. For instance: if you use a cream blush layer over it with a light dust of a powder blush in a similar color. (I always use cheap blushes for this since any powder blush will do the trick) If you use an eye pencil to line your eyes, go over the line with an angled brush and a shadow of a similar color (for black I love to use MAC Carbon) . For those of you who have the issue of runny mascara you can dust the black shadow on your lashes as well!
I like to think of it like a bonding glue that takes two parts. Once they are layered together the create a force field. Just be VERY CAREUL to LIGHLY dust the powder layer on, You don’t need much and if you are dry skip the face powder all together (you can still do the eyes:). it will only exasperate your dryness.

4.  Setting spray.

Hairspray for your face. It really works. In fact, I swear by it.
I’ve tried them all and Urban Decay All Nighter is my favorite.
Here’s why: Many of the primers I use work very well but of the ones that keep my makeup looking fresh all day, this is the only one that is truly undetectable on my skin.
Keep in mind though, I have pretty dry skin, for more oily skin textures who are looking for a more matte finish, the Makeup Forever Mist and fix is SUPERB. A very recent purchase of mine that I’m not regretting, especially for my more oily clients!

I hope this helps you all look fabulous all day (or night) long!

May 27, 2014 at 4:31 am

:: so… I actually went & bought that Veil primer {after your birthday haul post}. I tried it for a week… & while I LOVED the way it made my skin feel, I was told by countless people “your face looks really white!” {the hubs was the first to say something & then I looked through some photos taken during that week & I couldn’t believe how ghostly I looked}. I ended up reading the reviews for it & come to find out, it’s a common problem… Which bites, but oh well ~ taking it back saved over 50 bones, cause let’s be honest, your blog cost all of us so much 😉

May 27, 2014 at 10:59 pm

You know, I really wish they put a little color in it for that reason! I’m glad you told me that though because I thought that it always rubbed in to being translucent!

April 7, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I have been obsessing over your blog for a few weeks now since I stumbled onto it while perusing the internet for wedding makeup advice. Before I was a CVS makeup kinda gal. Today I found myself venturing into Sephora! I spent a little too much, but hey, it’s for my wedding day so I can justify it 😛

I need your advice – I bought Smashbox photo finish primer water today before I saw this post suggesting urban decay. Have you tried this primer water? Should I exchange it for the UD setting spray instead?

Thanks a MILL

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    May 27, 2014 at 5:28 am

Thanks for this post, you rock!

May 27, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Thank you, gorgeous!

May 27, 2014 at 5:46 am

This is a great post – I live in Houston and our weather is crazy humid in the summer. Urban Decay All Nighter is AMAZING! You hit the nail on the head with the ‘hairspray for the face’ comparison. I use it every day. By the way … I tried out the sally hansen airbrush legs after reading the recommendation from you and I am so thankful to you. Im going to go buy a case of that stuff. And – one more thing – I wanted to give a tip after the issues came up with the Tomas tan spray being splotchy. I was able to save my bad cans and still use it for my face by using it with an old Beauty blender to apply to my face (spray on the blender first). I can still use on my neck and chest as long as I chase the spray with my beauty blender and catch any of the splatters. I love the Tanwise body mousse but didnt love the face gel.

May 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Thank you! I totally agree with you! I’ve been blending my Tomas with my brush, it’s much more olive than the tanwise gel and it looks much better on my skin too!

May 27, 2014 at 5:52 am

Oh God! this is straight out of my book of favorites!! Having lived in India for years I have mastered the “Summer makeup look” and saviors! 😀 Love the Hourglass primer but its so insanely priced! 😛

My favorite Makeup Brushes Review | TheConscienceFund

May 27, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I know! SO expensive! I just love it though! Thanks beautiful!

May 27, 2014 at 6:05 am

The layering technique is so helpful! I would have never thought to layer blush or eyeliner!

xo, k

Beth and Beauty
    May 27, 2014 at 7:08 am

The layering technique does work! Thanks for the all the tips! I love the Urban Decay All Nigher spray too, another one that I have found that works is the Model in the Bottle. I use the one for sensitive skin! But if I had to choose, I probably would use the Urban Decay one, I just wished Urban Decay would work on it’s spray nozzle.

May 27, 2014 at 8:26 am

It’s funny that you posted this today because I was just going to write you about the IIID Foundation I just got. I follow all these tips but still find that the highlighter is cakey and smudges on my face even if I apply a loose or pressed powder over it. When I wear my sunglasses and then take them off it actually rims around my glasses and makes a line on my face. Please help.

Denise Navarro
    May 27, 2014 at 11:21 am

I need the Urban Decay setting spray in my life. I hear nothing but amazing things about it.

May 27, 2014 at 11:22 am

Great post you have here! I need to get my hands on the Hourglass primer, I’ve heard so many wonderful good things about it and I know I should give it a try! It’s uber pricey though :/
    <3 Pauline, ­­Addicted to Makeup

Lindsay Anne
    May 27, 2014 at 11:52 am

So one weird thing I do almost every day is set my eye makeup with a very very light dusting of corn starch. I like it because it’s translucent and I can dust it over the whole eye. I use a small fluffy face brush (I think it’s a cheap little wet n wild brush I picked up) dip it in my cornstarch, blow most of it off the brush and gently brush it over my eye socket. I go over a few times to get rid of any white residue but it works like a charm, my cat eye, tight line, or smoky eye will not budge. It also seems to double as a mascara primer! Any way, just had to share my random trick for layering cream with powder. Also, I’m loving the NYX matte setting spray, it’s a great budget friendly option!ll

May 27, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Corn starch, you say? Hm I’ll have to try it, along with Cara’s stay put tips. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

May 27, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Awesome post! Just what I’ve been looking for..thanks Cara 🙂

May 27, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Cara (or anybody!), have you tried De-Slick by Urban Decay? I tend to be oilier and have been eyeing this product but don’t know anyone who has actually used it.

May 27, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I have tried it on clients but I’ve never used it on myself! I tend to prefer the MUForever for more oily complexions though, just from taste.

May 27, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I love all these tips! As an oily skinned girl with long days this is pretty much what happens every day
    Allison from

Kierra Nicole
    May 27, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Hi Cara!

AWESOME post. *runs to Sephora and stocks up* I am always looking for a good primer and ways to make my makeup last a little bit longer. I mean… I do spend a good amount of time getting my face beat so I would like it to last all day lol! Thanks.

Kierra Nicole

May 27, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Regarding using a colored creme eyeshadow…do you use that in place of eye primer?

Hannah Krueger
    May 27, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I use an Urban Decay face spray, but it’s the one for oily skin (id be a little more descriptive if i didn’t have to stand up and walk across the room to look at the bottle). Will it still have the great effects as the one you posted and love?

May 27, 2014 at 11:24 pm

*exacerbate. Sorry, I’m an editor lol!

Great tips! I went to Disney with my boyfriend last weekend and it was sooo hot. I was gorgeously dolled up all day till I notice in the bathroom that I have eyeliner tears! Next time we go I’m definitely layering!

May 28, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Haha thank you!! Oh gosh, Disney will definitely do that to you!!!

May 28, 2014 at 6:33 am

id love to hear a post on best makeup for oily skin. i’ve tried EVERYTHING to try and fix my oily skin (no breakouts, just oil) and nothing ever works. I have to blot my face by the time i get to work because its already so shiny. By the end of the day, I have no makeup left, because its slipped right off.

May 28, 2014 at 8:04 am

Hi Cara! I love your website and how much you inspire all of us. I notice on your FAQ for your foundation you stated that you do not test on animals but a lot of the products that you love and talk about do. Can you do some more posts on products that work great and are cruelty free??

Angie R.
    May 28, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Hi Cara, I’m really wanting to try a setting spray. I have oiliness in my t-zone (like enough that you can feel it, or it transfers, but not enough that I’m super shiny, yet I’m a little more normal/maybe a tad bit dry in other areas. Could you recommend which one you think would work best for me? I don’t want to add any shine, but I don’t want to be super dry feeling either. Thanks so much for your help!

May 29, 2014 at 1:19 am

Great post, what a revelation, thank you so much

May 30, 2014 at 8:02 am

What lipstick is the girl in this photo wearing though?! I love it.

Ashley Bogard
    May 31, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Okay I have to say, especially after reading the save $ on makeup. The Fergie eyeshadow primer from Wet-N-Wild is the bomb! Only $4.99 and I SWEAR it is better than Urban Decay. I’ve been using the Urban Decay for a long time, and I promise it’s better. You must try!

the week | Fluttering Lashes
    June 1, 2014 at 8:08 pm

[…] All those who dread the summer sweats which bring about melted make-up, read this post from the lovely Maskara blog. I’ve got quite a few of these things in my stash […]

August 19, 2014 at 8:49 am

I have tried at least 50 different kinds of eye liner (I always wear black) – and EVERY SINGLE kind i try smears under my eye by 11 a.m.!!! I cannot seem to get it right–and I LOVE eyeliner….as it really makes my eyes pop in color. Help!

November 5, 2014 at 12:09 am

Nice collection of beauty products. it blends perfectly with your skin type..