Birthday makeup HAUL

Remember a few weeks ago when I entered the challenge from Retailmenot for a spring essentials kit!?
Well, much to my excitement, I WON! (which really surprised me because after I saw the other entries I was like, yep, not gonna be me.)
Which meant $500 dollars at the happiest place on earth. Sephora.
My head couldn’t even handle my excitement. I sat on the card for weeks because I didn’t want to spend it unless I had done my full research.
I went in to Sephora like 5 times, read reviews and meditated rigorously on the issue.
We take $500 gift certificate VERY SERIOUSLY at this house. These are times when all of my wildest splurges can come to pass.
I even promised myself I wasn’t allowed to use it until I organized my unheavenly makeup mess I have going on…which I mostly did…

My final decision was to wait until my birthday to get the goods, you  know, to make it even more special.
So on wednesday I got my haul and then used as much of it as I could on my face at once!
This instagram post of the final look inspired many requests for a tutorial, which I take as the best compliment, thank you so much for making my day! I’ll post the tutorial next week.
(also, I didn’t spend it all cause I wanted to save some for my mom and sisters so I think this is more like a $250 haul…)

Here are my first impressions:
Of course since they are brand new they won’t be making the Prettilist yet, but if any of these get through my vetting process, I’ll let you know!

Dior Lash Plumping Serum
As I kind of mentioned before I’m looking into all kinds of lash serums and growers and mascaras, this was one I hadn’t tried yet so I threw it in. It’s really hard to give a first impression on something like this (these take FOREVER to review!) but the packing is gorgeous and the primer worked great at adding volume to my lashes when used beneath mascara.

Lip Tar in Hollywood
I looove lip tars and I especially love the new metalics! Sooo pretty. I’m a sucker for anything gold and this is a GORGEOUS apricot gold!

YSL Rouge Volupte in Lingerie Pink
If I counted up all the times I’ve tried this on on my trips into Sephora I’d probably owe them a tube by now. I don’t know why it took me so long to just buy it already but the wait was worth it! SUCH A BEAUTIFUL COLOR and if you’ve never tried YSL lipstick you need to they feel like milky silk on your lips and they are so rich in color. I mean, with all of the times I’ve tried it already this one might even be ready for the Prettilist.

Josie Maron Pure Argan Milk Hydrating Treatment
Speaking of milk…I was dying to get my hands on this silky oil. I used it about 5 minutes before primer and makeup and let me tell you, my skin was glowing. I’m always looking for more ways to get more moisture and I love how silky this is because It soaks in fast.

YSL Illuminating Foundaion
Another bad boy I’ve been coveting for sometime now. I’m a huge fan of anything that illuminates and goes on sheer, this certainly fits the bill. I applied it with the Beauty Blender and WOW. I used this in Beige Dior 40 and then contoured with my IID foundation in dark (which I also applied with the beauty blender) It was such a flawless finish.

Too Faced Lip Injection EXTREME
Another thing I’ve been looking for is a new lip plumping product to recommend since someone over at Sally Hansen completely lost their marbles and decided to discontinue the love of my life plumper that I currently use. So far so good. I like the claims that it has results that build over time so we will see if that turns out to be the case!

{Sorry if I’ve been a little MIA the last few days I was kind of in my own little world with Nick celebrating my birthday in Staycation style, relaxing is NEVER better than when you’re pregnant I’ve decided. Usually indulgent relation just makes me feel a little antsy or bored..but this week I just lapped it up like crazy.
I know my body is making a baby in there and that’s got to be pretty taxing but on the outside it just feel like I’ve become the laziest person in the world! }

Hope you all have a great Easter weekend!I’m excited cause I think Christian will like it this year much better than last year…and deviled eggs.

Amy S
    April 18, 2014 at 5:18 am

I love all your choices & your photo of you wearing the products is beautiful.
    I wish I lived nearby so that I can schedule a makeup lesson with you (I’m from Ohio).
    Your makeovers are AMAZING!
    Sometimes I have no idea what colors would look good on me or where to even start.
    Love your blog by the way (and happy belated birthday)!

Katelynn Sue
    April 18, 2014 at 6:15 am

If anyone is looking for a way to lengthen their lashes: I bought LiLash a couple months ago and my lashes have grown immensely! My girlfriends even noticed them last night at dinner. 🙂 It’s a little pricey, as it was about $90.00 a tube, but it should last for at least 3 months and the best part is- you don’t need a doctor’s prescription to get your hands on it! I ordered mine off of Amazon and got it within the same week!

Cara your make up choices make me so envious! I’m sure they all look nothing short of gorgeous on you 🙂

April 18, 2014 at 6:29 am

GREAT choices! I can tell you really did think this out. I think if I had a $500 GC to Sephora I would probably run in like a crazy person buying random stuff!

April 18, 2014 at 6:41 am

I will have to try some of these soon! Thanks! Cara, have you ever tried Younique? Their Moonstruck 3D Fiber Mascara is so crazy…. I’d love your opinion!

April 18, 2014 at 6:42 am

Happy Birthday, girl!
    Impressed with your restraint! I would’ve been to Sephora before the mailbox was shut!
    Got my IIID kit this week, am in Heaven!!

April 18, 2014 at 7:54 am

Look at you with all that Sephora self-control! I would’ve run straight to the store. It looks like you picked some really good stuff – I do love that YSL foundation! And I’ve never heard of a lip plumper with long-term benefits. I feel like that’s something I need to get stat.

Beth and Beauty
    April 18, 2014 at 8:41 am

Great haul!!! You are so sweet to share your prize with your mom and sister. You are not lazy, your body is just telling you what it needs right now which is rest!! I had a haul on my bog Wednesday and today I have my Funday Friday Comments Tag going on. I am doing this comments tags to get to know my readers/subscribers and fellow bloggers better! So hope you or anyone will come play tab with me!

Sabrina Botelho
    April 18, 2014 at 8:55 am

Happy birthday cara! Kick back, relax and enjoy not only your pregnancy but your birthday. In the mean time I was be stacking this site for a tutorial. Preferably your birthday makeup. Saw it on Instagram.

April 18, 2014 at 8:59 am

Happy Late Birthday! Was it on Wednesday? That’s my son’s birthday too 🙂 Excited for tutorial.

lizz parker
    April 18, 2014 at 9:18 am

The best part of this is that you thought to share it with your mom and sister! You truly are as pretty inside as you our outside!

April 18, 2014 at 9:53 am

I would love to see a picture of you actually wearing the Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar and the YSL lipstick so we can see how they look out of the tube–the colors look pretty, but it would be nice to actually have a visual!

April 18, 2014 at 10:46 am

great picks! congrats on winning and happy late birthday!

April 18, 2014 at 11:32 am

Happy Birthday! I’ve been dying to try the Dior Lash Maximizer and that Lip Tar shade is gorgeous!

tomate farcie
    April 18, 2014 at 11:35 am

Happy bday! I love the Dior lash serum at night as a lash conditioner, but for day I really like MUFE Lash Fibers! I’ll be curious about your thoughts on the Too Faced lip plumper.

April 18, 2014 at 12:40 pm

SO LUCKY! I wish I could ever win such a thing!! Happy Birthday to you!
    I have been immensely inspired by your blog and your makeup techniques! I love your Monday Makeover series! Please dont ever stop doing them!

I recently posted an “inspired” Bronzed makeup look! Let me know what you think?

April 18, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Have you changed the way you contour your nose? It looks much smaller in recent pics than normal. I have larger sized nose and am curious if I’m missing a new technique! Thanks and happy birthday!!!

April 18, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Happy Birthday , and you deserve to relax!! You’re haul looks awesome, I have to get out my pen and pad and jot them down! Happy Easter!!

April 18, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Happy birthday!!! Check out 3D Fiber Lash Mascara!!! Seriously it’s the best thing to happen to makeup and I swear I’m not just saying that because I sell it. I sell it BECAUSE it’s so good 🙂 I would love to send you some if you are willing to try 🙂 you’ll be hooked! Check it out on Instagram @youniquebysami or on my website

April 18, 2014 at 3:25 pm

There is no way I could have bought more than 2 of these products in Australia for a $250 splurge . I really wish we had Sephora in Oz, or that they shipped here.

April 18, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Better still, I wish we could get IIID foundation in Australia. And IIID liquid blush. And IIID Illuminator. Not so subtle suggestion!

April 18, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Love all your choices!! I just git a sample of YSL foundation and am pretty much in love! Do you think its better then Giorgio Armani Silk? Sti havent tried it and thinking i should just get YSL since i do indeed love it;)

Twirly Skirt
    April 19, 2014 at 10:41 am

How fun! Congratulations and Happy Birthday, Beautiful! xoxo

Makena K.
    April 19, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I would love to see a post about your daily/weekly skin care regime! That recent instagram pic of you is gorgeous and it may just be the pregnancy glow but your skin looks amazing! I’m struggling with under eye dryness and I am looking for a summer foundation like a BB cream but not so greasy. My face melts off by the end of the day with a BB cream even when I use a primer and setting spray.

April 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I can’t wait to see a tutorial, I loved your Instagram picture! Happy Birthday, you’re the best!

April 20, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Lip tar? I have never heard of it – I will have to go check it out! I can not wait to see what you think of all of the products in a few weeks!

April 20, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Happy belated birthday! The instagram pic is gorgeous, by the way. I can’t wait for the tutorial! Don’t worry about being MIA (which you weren’t really) you are always such a consistent blogger. Enjoy your relaxation time! And I agree with Makena K.- I’d love to see a skin care regime post.

April 20, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I love what you picked up! I especially want to try the Josie Moran product and the Lip Injection! I would dearly love fuller lips!! Is it actually possible??? Hard to believe :O Cara, what did the now discontinued Sally Hansen lip plumper do for you specifically? I have never tried anything that made a difference for me before… BIG sigh!!

April 21, 2014 at 3:33 am

I’m so jealous of your voucher – sounds amaazing! I am absolutely loving the Dior lash plumping serum too!

April 21, 2014 at 11:39 am

Cara, do you like the Josie M. oil better than Tarte Marajuca oil? I bought the Tarte oil a while back after you mentioned it. I love it — but am wondering if you like this one better and if so, why. They seem similar to me in terms of what they do. I’m always up to try something new and you’ve never steered me wrong.

I know you recently found a new self tanner that you like better than the Toma’s spray, but I haven’t bought it yet. I was planning to hold off and buy it once I’d used my Toma’s for my face and Sun Labs for body. BUT I am connecting the dots (pun intended) that I had pretty significant breakouts after using the Toma’s. I usually have a fantastically clear complexion so it is always a surprise when I have pimples, especially more than one and even more shocking when they are HUGE. The first two times I blamed the breakouts on something else (my new puppy “kissing” me like crazy and then a new cleanser), but this time I am convinced that it was the tan spray. I had used it every time the day before the outbreak. Have you heard of others who have had this experience? Any issues with new one (I can’t recall the name off the top of my head)?

Also, what are your suggestions to clear up a breakout? I found a post you had on covering blemishes, but don’t see anything about making them go bye bye.

Thanks — and happy birthday!

April 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Sadly I’ve tried almost every lip plumper out there…nothing works! I actually got juvederm in my lips a few months ago and you can bareeeeely tell I made my lips bigger, but they are more plump now! Even my own Mom didn’t notice anything! But I can tell a difference. and now no lip plumper needed! 😀

If I had to choose one though, the boxum lip glosses kind of made my lips look a bit fuller. Teeny tiny amount though

April 21, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Happy birthday Cara!!! thank you for your awesome instagram post. thats so cool, you are so right God is good 🙂

April 21, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Happy Birthday! Love all of your pics – Just bought a new foundation but I think I may have to buy the YSL seeing as you say it’s flawless coverage! That’s worth checking out! …My beauty ‘wish list’ continues to grow… lol!

April 22, 2014 at 5:30 am

Excellent picks!! Happy Birthday!!

Cindy’s Little Black Book

April 22, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Aww lucky you! I wish you happy birthday 🙂 The lipstick looks super-attractive to me, I’m gonna have to buy this someday :))

April 23, 2014 at 6:43 am

I’d love to hear a bit about the Josie Moran hydrating milk. I’m a sucker for serums and oils and JM makes a few of my favorites 🙂

April 24, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Hey Cara! I’m loving your segments in Allure! Congrats! Keep doing what you’re doing 🙂

Brittany Reinhard
    April 26, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I just got a sample of YSL foundation because I plan on buying it for my Birthday. It is AMAZING! When I applied it I used my flat top brush. Its layers very nicely and does illuminate.