Products

The Prettilist

prettilist

I thought it might be nice to have all my current product recommendations all compiled in one place! (you’ll be able to access it from the menu!)
I talk about and use all kinds of products all the time but this list is going to be VERY ELITE:) I only add products here that are my tried and true very best and most wonderful favorites.

{all of the prettilist products have been rigorously tested against other products in it’s category (on me & usually on many of my clients as well) I’m constantly trying new things and will be adding to this list whenever something knocks my socks off …and might even knock others off the list}

ALSO: I do not accept money, bribes or flattery of any kind for my picks.

If there’s something you’re in the market for and would like me to research it (i.e. foundation for oily skin) please leave your request in comment form so I can work on it. OR if you are sitting on some info about a product that should TOTALLY be on the list, please throw me a bone!

makeup

Eyes~
All around best shadow palette: Lorac Pro {post}
for neutrals: Stila In The Light {post}
accessory palettes: Pretty Rebel
False Lashes: Ardell Whispies
Lash glue: Duo
Brow Filler: MAC Eye Shadow in Brun (or for light blondes Charcoal Brown)
Drugstore Brow Filler: Loreal Antique Brown{post}

Crease and undereye shadow brush: Sephora Collection
Budget crease and undereye shadow brush: Elf Contour
All over makeup perfecting: Beauty Blender {post}
Tweezers: Tweezerman {post}
hair
Shampoo for damamged, frizzy or dry hair: Wen {post}
Shampoo & conditioner for healthy hair (or non-wen lovers): Biolage Moisturizing
Moisture: inoa Moisture Masque
Curling Iron: 1 1/4″ Hot Tools
Clip-In Extensions: Lacedhair

skincare
PMD: Riiviva
Aging Serum: Metamorphisis Jolie MD {post}
Moisture Mask: Glam Glow Thirsty Mud {post}
Daily Cleaning: Clarisonic (and honestly whatever cleanser is closest to me!) {post}
Drugstore Moisturizer: St. Yves Timeless
Self Tanner: Tanwise Mousse {post}
Self Tanner for face: Tomas for a more olive tone {postTanwize Gel for a more bronze tone
Under Eye Cream (for dark color and puffiness) : Teamine {post}

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and a pretty decent Monday:)
signature

137 Comments

hinbernkatie
    April 8, 2014 at 4:17 am

I’m surprised the “beauty blender” isn’t on your list… I’m pretty sure I check your blog religiously and I don’t think you’ve ever talked about it, but the employee at sephora was raving to me about it. Have you tried it?

Sarah
    April 8, 2014 at 4:19 am

Thanks so much for this compiled list 🙂 super helpful!!

Cara
      April 8, 2014 at 11:04 am

Absolutely! 🙂

Laina Lamb
    April 8, 2014 at 4:23 am

What about under eye concealer for dark circles? Kat Von for those too???

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      April 8, 2014 at 5:48 am

Here is a post she did which has 3 concealer options for different needs: http://www.maskcara.com/2013/07/26/my-face-favorites-for-friday/

Cara
      April 8, 2014 at 11:39 am

I wouldn’t use Kat Von D for undereyes actually because it creases if you use it in a large area! I usually recommend my IIID foundation as an undereye concealer but I’m always looking for other options that I love, nothing I’m loving enough to put on the Prettilist yet though! I’ll keep looking! Miss Viola did give a link to a post where I talked about some good options though:)

Tiffany
    April 8, 2014 at 4:45 am

You are so awesome to share this!

Linda
    April 8, 2014 at 4:58 am

Yay, thanks so much for these valuable references!

Heidi J
    April 8, 2014 at 4:59 am

Thanks for compiling this list. Do you have any recommendations for eye makeup remover that actually takes off all the mascara? I’m looking for something that doesn’t require much rubbing, is gentle, and doesn’t sting the eyes.

Caitlin
    April 8, 2014 at 5:25 am

THANK YOU so much for this updated list! I’ve been dying to know the most recent stuff you would recommend! I know how pregnancy goes so totally understandable when you can’t post as much but oh how I get so excited when I see a fresh post….especially one this awesome! Congrats on the new little one on the way 🙂

Moss
    April 8, 2014 at 5:40 am

Thanks for this list! So helpful. Do you think you could work on a review of some of the CC Creams out now? I’m curious to know your thoughts on if they are worth it and what formulations truly work.

Brit
    April 8, 2014 at 5:47 am

I think it would be amazing if you did a list of products for the pregnant ladies out there! I am due in August and I’m afraid to use a lot of the products I was using before getting pregnant 🙂

Mary
    April 8, 2014 at 5:54 am

Such a helpful list especially for those of us with a limited budget who can’t afford to try so many items! I love that you don’t buy into all big make up brand names! I would love to see your take on mascara included in there. Thanks for all you share!

Charlotte
      April 8, 2014 at 7:38 am

I agree, this list is a total treasure trove! But I was hoping to see some suggestions for a drugstore waterproof mascara, too. Thank you for sharing!

Amy
    April 8, 2014 at 5:54 am

This is awesome! You are so sweet Cara. Thank you sssooo much!!

Holly Rencher
    April 8, 2014 at 6:02 am

Awesome!! Thanks for this, I have recently been wondering about your top product picks 🙂

Samantha S.
    April 8, 2014 at 6:04 am

I agree with Brit’s suggestion (I’m due in August, too!) Also, Herbal Essences has a Cleansing Conditioner that’s AWESOME and very cheap that might be worth a mention.

Lisa
    April 8, 2014 at 6:06 am

Vasaline!!

Kara
    April 8, 2014 at 6:07 am

This is an amazing list! Thank you for sharing. A few of my favorites are on there too. I’m excited tot try others you have listen. Only because you mentioned adding things we think are awesome, I did happen to find a foundation for oily skin. I am a total mess 2 hours after putting on my foundation and have to blot several times throughout the day. I bought Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation a few weeks ago. This stuff is amazing! I only blot once a day now. That’s my contribution 🙂

Karianne
      April 8, 2014 at 10:19 am

Thanks for adding your thoughts, Kara!! I have combination skin but my nose is all oil within an hour. I’m constantly blotting and hating it. Maskcara, do you have other favorites for clients with major t-zone oil issues? Also, you’re cool-toned (gorgeous!) would your recommendations change for people who are warm-toned? Ashy and blue undertones look great on you but AWFUL on my warm toned skin. Just a thought! Thanks so much!!!!

Kristen P
    April 8, 2014 at 6:09 am

Thanks Cara, this is awesome!!

Nikki
    April 8, 2014 at 6:13 am

Thanks so much Cara! Do you have any foundation recommendations for woman in their 30’s who have fine lines and wrinkles? Also, I see that you don’t have Clinique concealer listed. I just bought buttermilk over the weekend to use a highlighter when hacking and find that is is drying and actually accentuating my pores. Do you no longer recommend the product? Can you recommend another for highlighting? Thanks again for all your posts 🙂

Mary
    April 8, 2014 at 6:18 am

Would love to hear your take on Origins Smarty Plants CC cream.

Tara U.
    April 8, 2014 at 6:20 am

Great list, thanks!

Are there any makeup setting sprays that you love? I would love it if my makeup lasted throughout the work day and into the night without having to put a lot more on and giving it that “caked on” look.

Any suggestions?

Claudia
    April 8, 2014 at 6:21 am

Hi Cara,

Absolutely love your post and it is so helpful to have all your favs in one place! Thank you so much!
    I love using tanwize also for my face (since I so like the color and the nozzle of the Tomas bottle is spotting everywhere when I spray it on). Thank you soo much for recommending it. I have one lil problem though when applying tanwize to my face. No matter what I do (exfoliating, moisturizing/or not,…) the tanner settles in my pores on my nose and the area right next to my nose. I was wondering if you know a special trick how to avoid the self tanner to make pores appear huge and dark.
    Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy. What a beautiful feeling it must be to have a little miracle in you. Xo

Randi
    April 8, 2014 at 6:26 am

What HAC products do you recommend for is Canadians that can’t order your products? 🙁

Alyssa
    April 8, 2014 at 6:29 am

Thanks so much for putting this together! I’d love to see some information for Very Fair/Fair Skin (foundation, blush, bronzer). Thank you!

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
      April 8, 2014 at 1:31 pm

The Maskcara foundation in light is great if you’re very fair. I’ve had good luck with all the cream blushes she’s talked about (including the ones from her own line).

That said, I’m always excited for new product recommendations that might work for super fair skin.

Celestine
    April 8, 2014 at 6:29 am

Loved the list and recently tried and loved the Tanwise Mousse (Thank you!!) I didn’t notice a mascara on the list. Buxom is my favorite. http://www.sephora.com/buxom-lash-P228204?skuId=1143486

Ayla
    April 8, 2014 at 6:30 am

Can you do a foundation for the acne prone and who want to cover up? WITHOUT the fountain feeling TOO heavy

kate
      April 8, 2014 at 6:39 am

I second this 🙂 I have very acne prone skin that breaks out to almost everything it seems! So often times I (sadly!) can’t use the products you recommend.. but I would love some suggestions for oily/acne skin that still looks natural/not overly matte and cake-y. Seems I have a choice to be an oil slick using “normal people” foundation or being a matte dried up flakey mess using ones for oily skin. Also would love a long lasting blush& bronzer..seems mine slides off with in a couple hours. What’s your take on i lluminators for oily skin then? Avoid or still ok?

Karianne
        April 8, 2014 at 10:20 am

I second everything Kate just said!!

Jessi
      April 11, 2014 at 10:20 am

Ok so I have acne prone skin too and had your same exact question! My friend Megan from http://www.thebeautysnoop.com (who also has acne prone skin) recommended this: http://www.beauty.com/it-cosmetics-your-skin-but-better-cc-cream-with-spf-50-light/qxp508885?catid=48910 for good coverage without it feeling/looking heavy and I just ordered it! Can’t wait to try it!

Vanessa Davis
    April 8, 2014 at 6:35 am

Hi Cara,
    What would you say is the best mascara out there? I didn’t see mascara on your list

Laurie
    April 8, 2014 at 6:36 am

Hi Cara! I’ve been wondering if you have any advice on at home spray tanning systems,and what products to use with them…it seems you can buy these systems now for a reasonable amount of money…actually in all price ranges…any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Congratulations on your new baby!!!

kate
      April 8, 2014 at 6:43 am

I am a spray tan tech and have tried many different solutions. I have found Norvell to be my favorite… most natural color I have used and also fades much nicer than other brands. Reasonably priced. I have heard good things about the brand called Envy but it’s pretty pricey and have never personally tried it. Love airbrush tans 🙂

kate
        April 8, 2014 at 6:45 am

Oh and as far as machines go, I recommend a HVLP system 🙂 good luck!

Laurie
        April 13, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner!!! Thank you for the info…I see the systems range from around $150-1500. Do you think the $150-200 would suffice for just me..and very rarely a friend?? I am checking on the Norvell now.Thanks so much!!!

Twirly Skirt
    April 8, 2014 at 6:38 am

Hi Cara! You once mentioned a touch-up product for hair roots when they have color outgrowth. I didn’t see it on this list. Do you remember the name of it? I would like to try it. Great idea to put all your favorites on one list. I can’t wait to try some of these! Thanks!

Jen
    April 8, 2014 at 6:51 am

Hi!

What are your recommendations on mascara?

Kimberly Garrett
    April 8, 2014 at 6:51 am

Loving this post Cara! I’m ordering several things from your list today 🙂 I’m also looking for a good black eyeliner for the waterline. Mine tends to run and cause smudges under my eyes even if I only use it in upper waterline. What do you recommend?
    Thanks,
    Kim

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      April 8, 2014 at 7:23 am

Here is a comment she left on the sweet sixteen makeover:

Colleen says:
      March 31, 2014 at 7:10 am
      What black liner do you use on the tear line?

Cara says:
      March 31, 2014 at 10:17 pm
      Loreal Gel Liner, it’s the best I’ve used for the tear line!

Kimberly Garrett
        April 8, 2014 at 11:07 am

Thank you for this! I figured the info was on her site somewhere but I could not find it.

Kayleen
    April 8, 2014 at 7:15 am

Great list! I’ll be trying a few of these myself, thank you! I sometimes struggle with redness and have found a great line of products from Merle Norman (which are all made in the USA, Btw) I especially love the primer and the powder
    I also have fair skin, so many of the bronzers out there make me look orange or very unnatural, but I found this light bronzer from Physician’s Formula that gives that nice sun-kissed glow we all love to have

epicureanbliss
    April 8, 2014 at 7:18 am

Love this post! Can you add a Mascara recommendation (It’s your blog’s namesake, after all 🙂 )? I have pretty long lashes but am always on the hunt for an everyday mascara that will amp them up but also can wash off with just soap and water (I hate eye make-up remover). Any tips would be great!!

Thanks,
    Christine

Andrea Combs
      April 8, 2014 at 8:16 am

I know this wont answer your question regarding Mascara, but I understand your dislike of make-up remover. I absolutely swear by the Mary Kay oil-free make-up remover. It is a very easy, smooth, and gentle make-up remover. It leaves your skin feeling soft and moisturizer once your make up is removed. If you’re interested, I recommend you give it a try!

Candace
    April 8, 2014 at 7:36 am

Have you tried YOUNIQUE 3d Fiber Lashes? It is AMAZING!!!!! I have blond short eyelashes and this stuff is like false lashes in a bottle. I highly recommend it. http://www.tinyurl.com/candaceslashes

Kelly
    April 8, 2014 at 7:37 am

I always love your recommendations, thanks Cara!

Becca
    April 8, 2014 at 7:55 am

Love this, thanks! Have you tried the Ambient Lighting Powders by Hourglass? I’d love to hear your take on that. I love the Dim Light- it would be on my personal prettilist 🙂

Alexandra
    April 8, 2014 at 8:11 am

What is the font you’re using for the headlines? So fun and playful.

Andrea Combs
    April 8, 2014 at 8:13 am

Thanks for your recommendations! Need to check out your list 🙂 Especially for make up and hair products…

I absolutely love Mary Kay’s foundation primer (which has 15sof sunscreen included in it), eye primer, and oil-free eye make up remover. Their Time Wise skin care products are amazing too… And the MK shy blush is my favorite make-up product of theirs…

Sherri
    April 8, 2014 at 8:24 am

Great List .. how about rolling beauty carts for storing your make-up and beauty products in.

Jamie
    April 8, 2014 at 8:43 am

Hey Cara,

I’m in my mid twenties and I’ve started to get fine lines right under my eyes, I’m having a really hard time figuring out how to adjust my under-eye concealer routine so that it doesn’t sink into the lines- primers don’t seem to work!

Could you do a post on this??

Christy
    April 8, 2014 at 8:43 am

I’ve been trying to find a bb cream or tinted moisturizer and a foundation for oily/combination skin that is matte but, still has some luminosity in it and is long lasting and won’t dry out in certain places and shine in others. These magical products would be appriciated 🙂

Elaine
    April 8, 2014 at 8:43 am

I think Cara has used Benefit’s “They’re Real” mascara a lot– so I am betting that is a fave of hers too. I know that I love it! I also have fallen in love with an oil she once recommended by Tarte — Marajuca Oil — and I seriously don’t know what I did without it. 🙂

Adrienne
    April 8, 2014 at 8:47 am

I’ve learned so much from your blog! Thank you! I’m plan in for my wedding in June & was wondering if you had any hairspray reccomendations. Something that would hold throughout the day! Thanks again!

Teckie
    April 8, 2014 at 8:48 am

I love that all of these are in one place!!! Great as a reference.

Ashley
    April 8, 2014 at 9:04 am

I found the most awesome drugstore lipstick! You may want to check into it. Its Milani brand. The perfect light pink, 09 Pink Frost, less than $10 and the best part? It smells like watermelon!!!!

Kathy
    April 8, 2014 at 9:17 am

Hi Cara!

Great post! I was wondering if you could do a post/review of BB/CC creams! I am loving the idea of using a tinted moisturizer for a lighter, more effortless make up look for spring, but I am so overwhelmed with all of the BB/CC creams out there (especially drug store ones, because I don’t want to spend too much money, but I also want a good quality one!) I’m hoping you could explain the differences and recommend some that are on the more pigmented side to help cover blemishes. THANK YOU!!!

Rheba James
    April 8, 2014 at 9:27 am

Any recommendations for long-wearing eyeshadow? I’m a paramedic who works12 hour shifts… Would love something that stays on, especially since the summer months are approaching… I dont want to sweat off my make-up!

Alexis
      April 18, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I use the wet n wild Fergie line for eye primer and my eye shadow stays on perfectly all day and not one smudge! It’s also pretty cheap. I got mine at Walgreens but they also have it at Walmart.

Miranda V.
    April 8, 2014 at 9:29 am

I agree with those who suffer from ‘oil-slick’ skin with acne and fine lines (can you tell I’m in my 30’s?)…any recommendations for those issues….
    PLUS, The Sally Hansen Lip Inflation…its being discontinued. I used and loved and went to buy more and we found out they are not making it any longer. BIG sad face. 🙁 any others out there that are inexpensive and work really well?

Tara W
    April 8, 2014 at 9:30 am

I love makeup and never went without it – EVER. But I’ve since become quite ill and have become concerned with all the chemicals in makeup! I started buying natural products to replace my tried-and-trues but it’s not easy to do! It’s hard to find natural makeup sold in stores and buying on the computer is a real pain – it’s never the color you’re looking for! I know there are many of us that would love to start making the switch but not look like we’re all chunky granola tree-hugging types 😉 Hint: Honeybee Gardens has the BEST eyeshadow! Thanks!

Savannah
      April 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I totally agree! I’m also trying to phase out the super chemical laden makeup but it’s difficult and an expensive mistake to make when it doesn’t work out! Have you come across any good foundations Tara?

Laura
    April 8, 2014 at 9:32 am

This is fabulous! Thanks for compiling the list; I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in a drug store searching your blog for a particular product 🙂 Maybe I didn’t see it in the list, but have you listed the crazy awesome moisturizer your mom referred you to? 🙂

daisycheekz
    April 8, 2014 at 9:35 am

Hi Cara! Go check out Armour Lipglosses from Gloss48.com- Literally, best glosses on the planet.

sara
    April 8, 2014 at 9:52 am

Hi! I would love to see you cover skin sensitive issues, like Rosacea! I love reading your blogs, and I am typically a MAC girl for the most part, but now I am in my early 30s and have recently been diagnosed with Rosacea. A bit of redness, but mostly little bumps… a way to cover these issues would be invaluable for some of us!

Thanks!

Gretchen Joy
    April 8, 2014 at 9:52 am

Cara, you are the best and I am always so grateful to have been learning from you for a year now! (It’s our anniversary, haha!) I recently discovered Younique 3D Fiber Lashes mascara and would love your opinion. It’s 100% naturally based, and has these little fibers that attach to the end of your lashes that make them look way longer and fuller. I have a pretty good set of natural lashes, but when I wear this people always think I have lash extensions. Check it out! 🙂

Mindy
      April 8, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I was just going to leave a reply asking Cara what her take on fiber mascara was!! Younique or drugstore brand.

Emily
    April 8, 2014 at 10:16 am

I agree with Sara. I would love for you to cover sensitive skin!

Lyndsay
    April 8, 2014 at 10:28 am

Hey Cara!! I’ve just started using Josie Maran’s Light Argan Oil on my face. I’ve read so much about facial oils lately, but was so scared to try them, b/c I have really oily skin and breakout once a month. Why add more oil? But I put on my big girl panties and tried it last week! And it’s freakin’ amazing!!! My skin is much softer, my dry patches are gone, and my husband randomly told me my skin looks pretty! Just curious about your thought on this product… Have you tried it? What did you think??

Amy
      April 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Add more oil because apparently oil dissolves oil 🙂 that’s what I’ve heard, been washing w coconut oil ans castor oil… amazing!

Daphne
    April 8, 2014 at 10:56 am

Howdy Cara!!

I’d love to see oily skin foundation routine/recommendations please!!

Thank you for all you do for us ladies!!!

Daphne

Morgan
    April 8, 2014 at 11:38 am

Hi! Since your Medium HAC isn’t available, what products would you recommend one to use while we wait? It sold out so fast last time I wasn’t able to order. I like the Milk Choco bronzer, but is there a highlighter that you would recommend using? Thanks!!

Allison
    April 8, 2014 at 12:03 pm

The Hourglass Ambient lighting blushes are absolutely amazing and wonderful for a powder blush option.

Beth and Beauty
    April 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for sharing your beauty favorites with us!

Amy
    April 8, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Moroccan oil for shine/health…amazeballs 🙂

Stephanie
    April 8, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I didn’t scroll through the comments to see if someone else mentioned this, but heads up some of your links aren’t working! The link for the budget crease and under eye brush isn’t working!

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    April 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I should probably be embarrassed about how many of these products I already own!
    I’d love to see you mention a BB Cream that comes in shades (like the Maybelline one) so those have us that are too light or dark for the Stila one have an option.

And I will tenth the request for a mascara rec. I like the Benefit They’re Real but it’s very dramatic (on me, at least) for every day.

Jen
    April 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Cara, what about best flexible hold hairspray, best freeze holding hairspray, best volumizing hair product 🙂

Jen
    April 8, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Oh and best foundation setting spray/powder

Nikki
    April 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

What product and color do you suggest for nose contouring. The shades of brown I have are just not working out for me. Thanks

[email protected]
    April 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm

What about mascara?

Lisa
    April 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Great post!!

Victoria
    April 8, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I always notice that celebrities have a light powder under their eye (not the Make up for ever HD powder) and I’m curious what it is and how to use it.

Logan
    April 8, 2014 at 5:05 pm

This is such a great addition to the blog! I love knowing top bloggers best picks.
    xox Logan

ps. giveaway on my blog right now

Holley
    April 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Great post, Cara! It’s so nice to have your recommendations all in one place. Just out of curiosity, have you tried any nail polishes that you love recently? I’m always looking for brands that are long lasting, chip resistant, etc. Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks!

Keri
    April 8, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hi Cara! I love love love your blog! I highly value your recommendations and I’m very curious to hear if you have an opinion on oil pulling… Any thoughts??

julisa
    April 8, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Hi Cara! Love the list., just a hair product recommendation for curly haired girls. I can’t use Wen (loved what it did for my hair, but unfortunately it made it fall out). I have very thick naturally wavy/curly hair and absolutely love the devacurl products. Their noPoo cleanser gives similar results to Wen, but no hair loss for me. The low-poo is great too, and gives minimal lather so thick haired girls like myself don’t have to use so much. Use either with the One condition and my curly hair is super soft and frizz free! I also like their Ultra defining gel, takes my half curly/half wavy hair to actual curls without being crunchy. They have lots of other products that I’ll be trying out, but just wanted to pass the info along. 🙂

Jessica S.
      April 10, 2014 at 9:26 am

I also have thick curly hair and have been strictly noo-poo for close to two years. I have tried LOTS but I am in love with As I Am’s coconut co-wash. It leaves my hair so soft and hydrated but lightweight and feeling clean. It also smells great and is inexpensive as well!

Jessi
      April 11, 2014 at 10:06 am

Thanks for this! I’ve been so tempted to try WEN but I’m so freaked out about the hair loss thing since I’ve heard tons of reviews saying it made their hair fall out. I have fine hair but tons of it and it’s wavy too, maybe I’ll try these!

Megan
    April 8, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Hi Cara, I love this idea. I like your suggestion about looking into foundation for oily skin–I am SUPER oily! Also, shampoos and conditioners for sensitive skin, lots of times I have break outs at my hair line because of products.

Katie
    April 8, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Adore this list! Thank you for posting. Please please do a post on best shampoo for dandruff. I’ve been suffering with this for so long and it’s mortifying. I would appreciate if you could.

Jenny
    April 8, 2014 at 8:52 pm

What about a flat iron? I am in need of flat iron recommendations.

Libby
    April 8, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I have I have never commented! So yay for first time things! I would love to see a post for best products and how to apply them for frizzy hair! I have such frizzy wavy hair and I cannot for the life of me keep it under control! It probably doesn’t help that I live in the PNW and the moisturize is literally constantly dripping from the air!

Wendy
    April 9, 2014 at 4:08 am

Love the list Cara!
    Any thoughts on how to cover unsightly spider veins on the legs? Self tanner just doesn’t do the trick. Appreciate any help you could provide. 🙂

Kallie (@blondeeambition)
    April 9, 2014 at 6:09 am

Benefit’s “Gimmie Brow” brow-volumizing fiber gel, is amazing! I use the light/medium one and i love it so much more than pencil or shadow! http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/gimme-brow

Rachel
    April 9, 2014 at 6:17 am

Hiya,

Could you recommend a good lipliner that doesn’t feather and stays on all day (even if you eat)?

hciampa
    April 9, 2014 at 9:46 am

I’m sorry if this has already been discussed in a blog or in comments but a truly amazing tip for me from a friend has been to use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel as a foundation primer. I am told it has nearly all the same ingredients as Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer but for a small fraction of the price. I asked my dermatologist if it was safe to use on my face and she confirmed it was. Makes my face feel like my newborn daughter’s little tush and my foundation goes on like a dream. Cara have you tried this? It’s worth a try, trust me.

Jessi
      April 11, 2014 at 9:57 am

I do this too!! Everyone I tell thinks I’m crazy but it’s so cheap, like $5 for a big tube that lasts forever and it’s EXACTLY the same thing as smashbox. LOVE it.

Hannah
    April 9, 2014 at 12:36 pm

This is the most perfect list ever! Thank you SO much.

Sidenote: I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Victoria’s Secret makeup line. Since you’ve been to a show, I’m curious as to whether or not they actually use their own makeup brand or if they just use others. Have you tried any of their products? Just a question I’ve had. Thanks!

Jen
    April 9, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Coola spf 30 tinted BB cream is AWESOME for oily skin. It is mineral-based, so feels a little chalky when it goes on, but I literally don’t get greasy at all in my t-zone like I do when I use my Stila BB cream. And it’s great for summer too so you don’t have to put on sunscreen while out with the kids enjoying the weather.

KG
    April 9, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Hi Cara! Thank you for the list!

For dry & damaged hair, I LOVE Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea Butter shampoo & conditioner! This is my holy grail! After use and air drying my hair, this stuff doesn’t frizz! <3

karahlyn
    April 9, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I’ve been on an all natural/organic/etc kick to include my hair and skincare regimen. Any suggestions for acne/oily skin in the skincare department? Also, a really good all natural/botanical foundation–that stays well! I’ve tried a few and I’m not super in love with any of them.

Libby
      April 9, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I’m sure you already know this, but I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents just in case! I use coconut oil to wash my face and I have aaaalways struggled with acne and especially oil skin.To compound this, I also have sensitive skin! Since I started using the coconut oil my skin is remarkably less oily and feels clean without being irritated! As a result I have awesome moisturization and less acne! I would recommend coconut oil because it does have antibacterial properties which is awesome so I felt a little less scared of using it on my face. good luck!

Emily
    April 9, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Thank you for the list! It is so unbelievably helpful! I read/watch a ton of beauty blogs and it’s nice to see the best of the best repeated. Much love!

Jessica S.
    April 10, 2014 at 9:21 am

I am curious what you would recommend for a drugstore primer? I have tried the ELF and wasn’t crazy about it. An recommendations? Also, AS I AM Coconut Co-wash is an amazing cleansing conditioner. I have never tried Wen but I have tried lot’s of cleansing conditioners and this one is by far my favorite, and pretty inexpensive too!

Chelsea
    April 10, 2014 at 10:28 am

Thanks so much! This is super helpful!

Cx from Mixed Mediums

See You Soon, Virginia! | Virginia Lucas Hart
    April 10, 2014 at 10:54 am

[…] the ultimate makeup list. […]

Savannah
    April 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm

This list is great! But recently I have been slowly converting to products that are more safe, healthy, and ethically made (I’ve been using the Good Guide to see how products rank) and I would appreciate any reviews you may have for these kind of beauty products! It’s a rather expensive and timely endeavor to embark on alone and you’re one of the few experts on whom I thoroughly rely. 🙂

Caroline
    April 10, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for this list! I would be interested to hear you take on eyelash serums. All the options are endless and intimidating. Also, I am interested in your favorite foundation or bb cream, the lighter the better, to cover redness.

Hailey
    April 11, 2014 at 5:07 am

Please, please, pleeeeease find a BB cream for acne prone skin. Anything I put on my skin breaks me out in the worst way. Thanks!!!

Melisa
    April 11, 2014 at 8:39 am

Hi Cara, Thank you so much for this concise list!!! You are wonderful <3
    Do you have any recommendations/ solutions for oily eyelids?
    I adore mascara, but within a few hours it will be smudged all over my brow bone and under my eyes. Of course I hear lots of comments then about "you have black stuff over your eyes" – sigh embarrassing 🙁 I have had to switch to waterproof mascara, but that hasn't solved this constant dilemma for me! As well, because of the oily eyelids eye shadow just disappears as well within a few hours. These are two beauty issues I have struggled with for a long time 🙁
    Then, I second everyone else who has asked about suggestions for oily, acne prone skin.
    Thank you so much! <3

Jessi
    April 11, 2014 at 9:47 am

Ok I HAVE to ask. I wanted to try WEN super bad a couple years back after hearing amazing things about it and seeing amazing results but when I researched it I found an overwhelming amount of people complaining that it caused hair loss.. so I decided not to try it because I already have excema on my scalp which has caused my hair to thin a tiny bit (it’s still pretty thick but I’m paranoid about hair loss now) Seeing your awesome results has me itching to try it again but I’m so freaked out about losing my hair! Have you heard of people loosing hair from using WEN or have you experienced that at all??

Julisa
      April 11, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Hi Jessi – I don’t want to scare you off, but I had a ton of hair loss with Wen. At first I thought it was just because I was combing through it while wet like the instructions said, but it was way more than that. I switched to a different shampoo/conditioner and still did the comb through and it wasn’t nearly as much. I loved how Wen made my hair feel but unfortunately it ultimately made it look unhealthier because I lost so much that I had tons of re growth that sticks out or looks like it broke off. You could try it an have amazing results, no way of knowing for sure, but I’ll never try it again.

Whitney
    April 11, 2014 at 10:42 am

Hi Cara,

I appreciate all of your tips posted on your site; I’m a huge fan.

I’d love to see you test out some all natural/mineral make-up lines. I make all of my own beauty products and have found some good products in the After Glow line. After all, 60% of what you put on your skin is directly absorbed into your blood stream.

Thanks, Whitney

Alexandria
    April 11, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I just wanted to say that Target carries this Number 7 line and they have the ABSOLUTE best mascara I have ever tried. Literally thought my mom had falsies on, it was so great. Cannot recommend it enough!

surbhi sachdev
    April 11, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Agreed with Samantha S. Herbal Essences Conditioning Cleanser is an exact dupe for Wen!!! And always on sale for $4-6!

Lisa
    April 12, 2014 at 4:27 am

The link for the lip liner leads to an NYX eyeliner in Taupe both in the post and the previous makeover post. Do you use an eyeliner on your lips??

Mary
      April 12, 2014 at 5:38 am

Yes she does!

Shannon
    April 13, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Thank you so much for this list! How about a category for best face sunscreen?

reesefrata
    April 15, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Cara- do you use Wen or Wen SixThirteen? Is there a difference? What would you recommend for long curly hair?

Thanks!

Laura
    April 17, 2014 at 5:33 am

Thanks for the list! I also have really oily skin. MUF Matte Velvet is the best I’ve tried so far but I still have to blot throughout the day. I also cannot find get my lipstick to last more than an hour or so. I use MAC primer, lip pencil and lipstick and it still doesn’t matter. I would love to hear your recommendations!

misscindyq
    April 17, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Love this list of fav products!! I have been checking your site to see if your foundation in medium is available and still isn’t. Do you have any idea when you’ll get more in?

anjol37
    April 27, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Do you have any recs for makeup favs for brown skin beauties?