Hair My Life

New Hair.

If you follow me on insta you may already know that I got a little hair cut.
I had a lot of people that were shocked that I was so brave and congratulating me for it which makes me feel somewhat fraudulent so I thought I’d take a chance to explain…
Once upon a time I had hair that went down to my mid to lower back, it was healthy and shiny and black.
I got restless and decided to go blonde in one (or rather two) days. It was really fun at first but my impatience eventually landed me with what I call a “chemical haircut” that’s when you damage your hair so bad that it literally breaks off.

Since then I wear clip ins (laced hair are my favorite!) so often that some people thought my hair was still long but it really wasn’t much past my shoulders.
I decided to try to get back to my natural color again (this time not going crazy with the blonde, just light brown & by using impeccable patience I was lacking last time!) but I still had to cut the damaged parts off in order to start that process.
Am I out of my mind? Probably, but it’s just hair right? I gotta let the natural color breath at some point before it goes gray!

(this was after the first process of lightening my hair, we waited 6 weeks and lightened it again very subtly!)

So sorry for the long story that probably no one cares about, I just wanted to clarify. I do like a change and I am really loving some of the cute short haircuts I’ve been seeing lately but I’m still a long hair addict at heart and you better believe I will be growing this mop ferociously from now on:) but the silver lining is that I’ll be able to learn new ways of styling this length and of course share my findings!
So in other words…I’m not that brave, just a little crazy in the hair department. And I’m sure other departments too, like the Organized Packing Department or the Keeping my Car Clean Department.

This was the first time in probably 2 months that I got makeup and non-pajama clothing on so Jessica and I figured it was worth photographing!
You can’t see a bump yet here (it was a month ago, now there is definitely a bump).
I really loved this outfit because it was so comfortable and flattering and the shirt totally covered up the fact that I couldn’t button my jeans.

Jeans: Abercrombie
Shirt: Nordstrom Rack (they always have tons of shirts like this for like 15 bucks. They are AWESOME.)
Shoes: Steve Madden
Bracelet: Express
Photos: Jessica Janae Photography

Love you!

April 3, 2014 at 4:15 am

I like the shorter due! I almost had to have a chemical haircut last month. Luckily, some awesome deep conditioner saved me.

fanny darling
    April 3, 2014 at 4:22 am

absolutly LOVE the last photo of you! xo

Kylie Storm Crichton
    April 3, 2014 at 4:26 am

You look gorgeous! I LOVE the hair! It looks so young and fresh!

Tracy Miller
    April 3, 2014 at 4:31 am

I love it! It looks so healthy and shiny and I love the color.

Joeylynn Lee
    April 3, 2014 at 4:31 am

I actually like it better!! It looks very healthy! It makes you look younger!! Beautiful!

Sabrina botelho
    April 3, 2014 at 4:34 am

You are so beautiful you could pull off any hair style. I love this look on you. I love it so much that I want a similar style. I’ve been dying to see better pics of your hair after that Instagram. 🙂 so thanks for this post

And btw you are glowing ! (I don’t believe it’s makeup for a second) congrats on the baby 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 5:22 am

I was going to say the same thing about her glow. The new & healthy/shiny hair + the beautiful sunshine + awesome photography + life budding inside you makes you look even more amazing than you normally do… who knew that was even possible? 😉

April 3, 2014 at 4:36 am

Love your color! I too have dark brown hair and want to go lighter for summer with some brown highlights, can you share your color formula? You look great!!

Jessica Rose
    April 3, 2014 at 4:37 am

I love the cut on you…I love long hair…I have long hair myself…but actually when I see someone with long hair and then they have it cut….9 times of out of 10…it looks so much better…thinking of going for a shorter do myself!

Josephine Fusco
    April 3, 2014 at 4:43 am

This haircut looks beautiful on you ! xoxox

April 3, 2014 at 4:44 am

Love your new hair, Cara! So elegant and flattering. The color is so vibrant and rich! This is such a great look on you! 🙂

Dan Dan Fagan
    April 3, 2014 at 4:54 am

Super cute. Don’t think you could do a single thing that would make you look less gorgeous! All bonus baby! You look younger…x

April 3, 2014 at 4:58 am

You are freakin’ adorable! Keep glowing, little mama 😀

Dan Dan Fagan
    April 3, 2014 at 5:02 am

Would love to see some tutorials for curls in shorter hair. Mines a long(ish) bob, and ive tried so many wyas to get bouncy waves like yours…alas…please help! Maybe in one of your make overs you could show us how you did the hair also with different lengths? Preeeddy pleeees xx

Vanessa Davis (@BTMYBlog)
      April 3, 2014 at 5:24 am

Have you ever heard of the NuMe iron? It is AMAZING, my daughter has stick straight hair that NEVER curled! I got the NuMe and now her short hair curls and stays curled ALL DAY, it’s an absolute miracle lol.

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    April 3, 2014 at 5:19 am

So pretty! You won’t regret how low maintenance it is!

April 3, 2014 at 5:21 am

I did the same thing a while back! Once my hair started literally PEELING OFF in the shower like gum, I decided it was time to cut all the damage off! The next time I decided to go blonde, it took 6 visits to the salon because we did the process SLOWLY lol.

April 3, 2014 at 5:23 am

You look gorgeous, I think your hair is so pretty at this length!

April 3, 2014 at 5:33 am

I, too, am a long hair addict! Every so often I get bored and restless and decide to chop it short. Which, ALWAYS, leads to regret and remorse that asts until it’s once again grown back . Then, I somehow forget my previous lamentation over short hair and cut it again. Sigh. What a cycle. Lol.

Love the shorter hair on you, though. It’s really flattering and brings even more attention to your beautiful face 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 5:35 am

You really look great, I love this cut. You look so polished and sophisticated. The color looks so glossy and natural.

April 3, 2014 at 5:42 am

Looking great! I would love to hear more about your hair extensions … Brand color matching etc

April 3, 2014 at 5:52 am

I like it! I cut mine a year ago into a short bob and am just now to shoulder length stage – would love to have ideas on styling, especially ways to get it off my neck quickly and easily without looking like Benjamin Franklin haha

Emerald Earrings
    April 3, 2014 at 6:07 am

You truly do look gorgeous! My hair is longer now than it’s ever been, nearly all the way down my back. I’m going to miss your long hair tutorials but at least there’s plenty in the archives to revisit 🙂

Emerald Earrings
    April 3, 2014 at 6:08 am

bahahahaha Benjamin Franklin! I totally feel you! When I was growing out my stacked bob I tried hot rollers one time. My oh my.

The Maiden Metallurgist
    April 3, 2014 at 6:24 am

Cute! You are giving me chop fever!

Bernadette's Daughter
    April 3, 2014 at 6:25 am

Love it, you look so fresh and modern with this new do. It might be easier to manage when the new little one is here. Congratulations, can’t wait to see your fashion with a baby bump.

April 3, 2014 at 6:31 am

You def have the pregnancy glow! You look gorgeous!

April 3, 2014 at 6:35 am

You’re glowing girl! Love the hair, love the bump, love you!

April 3, 2014 at 6:35 am

You look great momma! Can we get some more mommy makeup looks?!

April 3, 2014 at 6:38 am

It looks great! People are funny- cutting your hair to just below your shoulders isn’t brave or bold (even if you hair was still down to your lower back.)It’s not like you shaved your head! People walk around with that hair length all the time! Your length now is about what my longest is. I am interested to see how you style it.

I stopped coloring my hair around when I turned 30 for the same reason. I wasn’t sure how long I’d have my natural color, so I wanted to let it show. (Almost 38 now & love my natural color- no grays so far!)
    By the way- you look so much like your son in that gorgeous last picture!

April 3, 2014 at 6:45 am

The cut looks awesome! Did you know you look a lot like Jessica Biel in that first pic? 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 6:45 am

Gotta tell ya-love the new length. You look so beautiful, young and polished. It looks real and healthy. You project a much more confident, sophisticated and professional persona. It’s difficult to step out and truly “own” who we are now and not hide behind a lot of hair and bangs and so on. Stay well and healthy.

April 3, 2014 at 6:52 am

Oh my goodness you are just gorgeous in any color of hair, any length! I LOVE it!! Would you mind telling those of us who aren’t as happy with our shorter hair what clip-ins you were using? They looked great too, and I’d love to try some! xoxo

April 3, 2014 at 7:41 pm

She uses laced hair extensions.

April 3, 2014 at 7:11 am

You look so pretty Cara!

April 3, 2014 at 7:17 am

Your hair looks great, but you can see the white liner around your lips..not a good look! Sorry!

April 3, 2014 at 7:42 am

i love it! i think it really suits you and makes you look younger.

gosh, you look so happy 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 7:49 am

I to, like Shirley, would love all the details on your hair extensions. Whats the best brand, where to get them, how long should you wear them, do they harm your real hair etc and you said you use clip ins. Maybe you could just do a an entire section on hair extensions-lots of people are using them and lots of us would love to know more about them.I like your snort hair to. Thanks

April 3, 2014 at 7:51 am

Haha Your short hair. Typing to fast.

April 3, 2014 at 8:02 am

It looks amazing and healthy!

Beth and Beauty
    April 3, 2014 at 8:27 am

You and your hair looks amazing! So glad to see you feeling better and getting back out in the world, so to speak…..LOL! I can’t wait to see some of the styles you come up with since my hair is the same length!

April 3, 2014 at 8:47 am

love the shirt and jeans!!!!! I actually got a cut short by mistake…don’t take you toddler with you…. my lady ended up cutting off 3 inches sniff sniff. But I am liking it 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 8:52 am

OMG! Wait what’s brand on the shirt!? I want one 😉

April 3, 2014 at 8:53 am

Oh I prefer the short hair it really suits you!

April 3, 2014 at 8:54 am

It looks so good, but I’m also excited to see pictures with the baby bump in the coming months. I have hair about this length, but its naturally curly. I always have a hard time knowing what to do with it, because there isn’t enough to put in a bun or braid. I would love any suggestions!

April 3, 2014 at 9:07 am

Just had to do the EXACT same thing! so happy that I will now have you for inspiration/tutorials on how to style my new hair!! btw what size/type curling iron did you use to get the waves in the pictures, I think I need a new one now that my hair is short!

xx, B

Noelle Mortenson
    April 3, 2014 at 9:10 am

I love your hair and after having fun with a melt last summer, I did the same thing and cut my hair to about the same length. I wanted it to healthy and happy too. I am wondering what size/kind of curling iron or tool you use to curl your hair. I like my hair with some curl but some curling irons seem to do a bit too much and my hair can be too big. Suggestions???

April 3, 2014 at 9:20 am

You are gorgeous! Your hair looks amazing and your skin & makeup are stunning! Love the short hair 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 9:37 am

I’m so glad you are growing it back out, and luckily, pregnancy is perfect for that! You’re long hair was so stunning! I too had over-colored my hair and had to cut it short. I just had a baby last year and got my long hair back and haven’t colored it for 8 months! You look beautiful no matter how your hair is though 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 9:37 am

Love your hair…it looks great!!!! Love that style 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 9:37 am

I love your new hair cut! I have shoulder length hair too.:) I also love those jeans. I have several pairs from Abercrombie. They hold up so well. I may have to go get the ones like yours lol.

April 3, 2014 at 9:58 am

I love this cut on you! It looks really cute and works well with your face shape, hair color, and texture. I wish I could work a cut like that, but my hair’s really thick and wavy and goes in all kinds of crazy directions when it doesn’t have enough weight to hold it down.

April 3, 2014 at 10:00 am

When I clicked on the Abercrombie link to check out their jeans, the price of the one’s you linked said $880! Obviously it is an error, I just thought it was hilarious! Love the hair! I just went closer to my natural hair color and love it!

Jodie Tighe
    April 3, 2014 at 10:12 am

Your hair looks great, and YOU look great! Please, please tell us what you’re doing to erase under-eye circles? Wow!

Rachel @ My Adventures as a RInderknecht
    April 3, 2014 at 10:21 am

I love your new hair cut! I actually went through the same kind of thing when I went blonde too fast, and I am still debating cutting off some of the dead right now. It is so hard to let go of long hair! You look great though, and I am really excited to see your hair styles with your new cut 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 10:25 am

Gosh, you’re just gorgeous girl. Long hair, short hair, whatever. And congratulations on the upcoming baby 🙂 If you feel up to it along the way, could you please let us readers in on some tips/wardrobe options for keeping semi-fashionable while being pregnant? You always have such cute outfits 🙂 Love your blog and how you always keep it real. <3

April 3, 2014 at 10:36 am

Really pretty! It is very flattering and I love your hair color!

April 3, 2014 at 10:44 am

Love the cut! And your color is beautiful too! Goes great with your skin tone!

| The Beauty Section |

April 3, 2014 at 10:56 am

You look beautiful as always. You mentioned that you couldn’t or didn’t button your jeans. I had the same issue when I was preggers and found the Bella Band. It goes over your unbuttoned jeans and it was an amazing product. From the outside, it looks like the bottom of a stretchy tank top but what it does is that it allows you to continue to wear your non-pregnancy jeans a little longer. I used them in that awkward stage where I wasn’t big enough for the maternity jeans but too snug for regular jeans. Anyway, you’re always giving us wonderful advice, so I thought I would return the favor. You can find them on the Ingrid and Isabel web site. Congrats on your growing family!

April 3, 2014 at 11:09 am

I had to return to my natural locks too after dying my hair. I’ve had my natural color for five years now and my hair is the healthiest it has ever been; However, I get the itch to add a few highlights to add dimension once and awhile. Ha! Anyway, you’re absolutely gorgeous! The photos turned out great, too. 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 11:09 am

I love it! my hair is similar in length. my sis had to cut a lot off d/t damage. 🙁 I love long hair!! You look amazing and so pretty in these pics!

mayra manzur
    April 3, 2014 at 11:29 am

Congrats and you look beautiful

Irene Buffa
    April 3, 2014 at 11:48 am

So nice!

April 3, 2014 at 11:59 am

You look gorgeous!! I love the new hair!!!

Xo Ash,
    Sincerely Miss Ash

April 3, 2014 at 12:03 pm

It looks so healthy, fresh and pretty!

April 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I recently chopped my hair from super long to about this length and would love love love styling tips!! you look amazing!

April 3, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I have been extension free for about four or five months now. It’s been an adjustment to get used to shorter hair (and thinner, unfortunately). I’m trying to be more healthy, too, with my hair though and hope that it will eventually grow longer on its own if I give it a little love. I think your hair looks gorgeous, short or long! This is totally inspiring to me to stick with it and not get extensions put back in!

April 3, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I just cut mine to the same length for the same reason, I lost about 10 inches! This curl tutorial PLEASE!!!!!!

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    April 3, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Ooh! You look great. I’m interested to see how your hair color turns out when you’re done tweaking it. I need a haircut so badly. My stylist left very suddenly and I do not have the energy to find a new one. I’d love to see a curl tutorial with this length of hair. I think all your other ones were on super long hair.

April 3, 2014 at 2:35 pm

You look flawless! Being pregnant myself my face looks awful compared to yours! I love the natural makeup look you have. Could you do a tutorial on that?

April 3, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Can you do a tutorial on how to curl your shorter hair? It looks awesome!

April 3, 2014 at 4:01 pm
    April 3, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Oops. Maybe comments don’t take emotions….I love the do! You’re gorgeous!

April 3, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I love your hair! 🙂 I just cut mine about that length after chopping off 9 inches to donate. It’s quite a change, but I love it!

The Reese Family
    April 3, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Cara – would you be willing to post a hair tutorial on this style? My hair is this length and I never get it to look this good curled.

April 3, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Check out my blog, gottagetbeauty! I post TONS of beauty secrets, tips and MOOORE!!!!

April 3, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Which clip-ins do you use?

April 3, 2014 at 7:06 pm

what brand is your shirt? i’d love to know what to look for in nordstrom rack! that place can be overwhelming!

April 3, 2014 at 8:55 pm

You look beautiful!

Catherine (@bcrueltyfree)
    April 3, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I’ve actually had that exact thought – of embracing my natural hair before I go gray! It prompted me to stop getting highlights, though I did love them and felt they were pretty natural on me, since my hair has quite a bit of gold strands to begin with… haven’t used color on my hair for hmm… it must be 3 years now, amazingly!

April 3, 2014 at 9:26 pm

In that last photo you have the same smile as your son. It’s very sweet.

April 4, 2014 at 5:37 am

luv the haircut & the color really makes your eyes pop! You will not regret the low maintenance once the little bundle of joy arrives & you still look very stylish. 🙂

Sarah D.
    April 4, 2014 at 7:21 am

I’ve been following your blog for awhile now, and I honestly think this is your best look yet! You look so beautiful in these pictures! Love, love, love it.

April 4, 2014 at 7:26 am

Love it!!! 😉 You look so beautiful and happy!

April 4, 2014 at 8:21 am

It looks great, what a fun change!

April 4, 2014 at 9:24 am

Cute hair do! I tried to grow out my natural color last summer, but I am far too blondarexic to handle it. I had the peroxide back out within a couple of months.

April 4, 2014 at 10:05 am

The link for “Jessica” doesn’t go anywhere. Love your hair and congrats on the baby!

April 4, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Cara the picture of you at the door is perfect for framing to give hubby! You look gorgeous!

April 4, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I may actually like the short hair better! its beautiful!!!

April 4, 2014 at 3:45 pm

You look like Jessica Beal! I love the natural brown, it makes your eyes pop!

April 4, 2014 at 8:59 pm

You always look pretty!

April 5, 2014 at 1:04 am

Love! Your beauty really shines through. Plus, less upkeep. It’s kinda freeing right?

Kellie The Shoe Diva
    April 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

Gorgeous photos and love the new do! It’s actually cute and refreshing. It makes you look so much younger, I think!

April 5, 2014 at 9:01 am

Can you do a post on how to strengthen hair to prevent breakage…. I have had 3 back to back pregnancy’s and my entire hair line is an ugly mullet…. I color my hair but too often and I don’t over style or over wash..,, I am willing to spend the money on a better product … Pureology has done nothing for me!!!! Please help!!!!
    Ps:::: love your blogs !!!!!! Colleen

April 6, 2014 at 11:35 am

I love your haircut! My hair has a similar mid-length cut. I’d love it if you made a post on how you style your new do…What type of styling products do you use? What curling iron do you use and how!? Can’t wait to hear more about your new hair. 🙂

April 7, 2014 at 8:56 am

Looks great! I saw you mentioned you wore extensions. In the blogpost about growing your hair long, are you wearing extensions in those pictures?

April 7, 2014 at 11:46 am

I just cut quite a few inches off of my hair because my ends were fried. I told my hairdresser that I wasn’t delusional enough to believe that I could keep the length I currently have and just snip off tiny bit of the dead stuff. At first I was FREAKING OUT, but it has been so easy and quick to roundbrush it all cute, or curl it. I’m enjoying how healthy my ends look and how easily I can make my hair look super cute!

April 9, 2014 at 12:58 pm

It looks reallyreallyreallyreally good + healthy! I keep mine pretty long and just get what my stylist calls “butterfly highlights” a couple of times a year to add dimension to my dark brown.

You look great! Remember you can always use this as an excuse to try new hair extensions!

April 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

So I know I’m a few days behind with this, but I have a question. You mention in a few posts that when your hair changes your makeup should change too. Now I know a pixie style may not be in your future, but it’s a style that I LOVE and have had for about a year now, but I don’t know how to adjust my makeup routine to having such short hair now. Do you have any advice or tips or friends w/ a pixie willing to be your model to demonstrate on, that you can offer? Thanks <3

April 10, 2014 at 12:08 pm

je vous trouve très jolie avec les cheveux plus court. C’est plus dynamique

April 10, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Just wanted to say that I’ve had so much fun following you. I love your hair and your jeans so much that I’ve just ordered a pair for myself.

April 12, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I love the new look! I also think pregnancy is a great time to decide to grow out your hair. Mine grew so fast when I was pregnant! 🙂

April 23, 2014 at 2:48 pm

PLEASE do a hair tutorial on this hair style! I just cut my hair this length and I would love some help with it!

May 5, 2014 at 8:38 am

Hey! Your hair looks great in these shots! I recently had to ‘make the cut’ as well .. not much of a choice for me either and I’m enjoying it while it’s growing back out .. This time thicker and stronger! I went dark for a while and then wanted to be blond blond blond again .. and I was treating my hair like it was beautiful, healthy hair and needless to say, it caught up with me and started breaking EVERYWHERE! I started using the new Anti-Breakage Shampoo & Conditioner from L’Oreal EverStrong and it’s getting better and better! 🙂 (I’m a huge huge fan of the whole L’Oreal ‘EVER’ lines .. I was reading up on some Pureology dupes and found that L’Oreal purchased Pureology not too long before they started offering the ‘EverPure’ line and 2+2=Same Formula without the Essential Oils 🙂 Give it a shot some time!