AskCara Beauty Basics Makeup Makeup Products Products

Because I still love it…

As you probably well know by now, I’m a scatterbrained person. I can only keep track of so many things at once.
Which has made me a huge fan of multitasking products.

For this reason I fell in love with duct tape at a very young age. I thought it was amazing how many things I could fix or create with it.
Hole in your pants?  Patch it in seconds. It may not be fancy but your undies aren’t showing so…it’s workable.
Wanna hang your Ricky Martin poster? No nails needed my friend, stick that bad boy up with a square of the silver stuff.
Not feeling like wasting your hard earned cash money on shoes? No prob. Duct tape sandals will last you an entire summer (and probably FAR longer if your mom doesn’t get a hold of em).

Do you see where I’m going with this?

I’m talking about the Revlon Kajal Pencil in Purple Reign (you may remember from my Allure contest last year when I first fell in love with this little duct tape inspired goodie)

Get it at CVS or on Walmart and then….

This cream color is perfect for rimming the inner lining of the eye and in so doing making your eyeballs look bigger!

This trick can cover even the darkest and brightest of blemishes. Dot the pencil directly on top of the spot, then take a fluffy shadow brush and dust some powder over it to blend. (and OK I didn’t actually have a blemish on my chin in this photo but only because I’m pregnant and no longer have a “that time of the month” which has been pretty great skin-wise!)

Fill the center of your bottom lip and draw right above the bow of your lips with the light side of the pencil. Dab it in with your finger, then layer on some gloss, this creates a “pouty” full lipped illusion that you’ll get hooked on. (I forgot to do the gloss part – due to intense morning sickness – and so in the rest of my photos my lips look chalky, please forgive me and be sure not to make the same mistake:)

browlift ‘

To get an instant uplift on your arches try this trick by using the bright side of the liner right beneath adn above the highest part of your brow.

It can also sub as an under eye brightener in a pinch.

This is an awesome trick for making your eye color stand out (especially for green or blue eyes) Use the purple side to line right in your tearline. The contrast will totally bring out your sparklers.

Use as a light or purple shadow OR to help get a longer lasting and more vibrant color out of your shadow, use the light side underneath.

I use the dark purple side to blend into my lips with doubles as a soft violet lip color. Or use the light side beneath your lipstick to make the color pop.

Favorite trick in the book. The pencil makes it super easy to get a thin straight line, just tap it afterword with your fingers to smooth it out.

You know when you get the bags that actually create a visible semi-circle under your eyes?
This little trick WILL WORK WONDERS ON THAT!
Draw right smack on top of that crease then lightly tap it with your fingers an watch your bag line soften dramatically.
(you can use it on any “crease” on your face that bothers you)

{All of these gorgeous photos were taken by Jessica Jenae Photography, she is AMAZINGLY talented}

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    April 2, 2014 at 4:18 am

Thanks for this, you rock 🙂

April 2, 2014 at 4:34 am

Love this. I’ve been using Rimmel eye pencil in Nude to do the same things, except the bottom lip trick, have to try it today! I can’t live without that little pencil, it IS a miracle worker!

April 2, 2014 at 4:37 am

dang, who’d have thought a little eyeliner pencil could be so useful!!! thanks for all those ideas!

Evelinasfina Skönhetsblogg
    April 2, 2014 at 4:39 am

I have to get this!! You look beautiful 🙂

Maria Wright
    April 2, 2014 at 5:04 am

Thank you so much for the wonderful tips! You are brilliant (not to mention absolutely stunning).
    Pregnancy looks good on you!

April 2, 2014 at 5:19 am

Cara, you MUST try the NYX Wonder Pencil (they have it at Ulta). Flesh toned pencil, available in three shades….so awesome!

April 2, 2014 at 5:21 am

This is awesome!!! As a fellow photographer, I have a real appreciation for the beautiful photography in this post!

Anna Williams
    April 2, 2014 at 5:57 am

Such great tips, as always! So sorry about the morning sickness too I feel for ya! I’m 33 weeks now and almost feel like it’s returning, which I’ve heard can happen in the third trimester. boo. 🙁 Can’t wait to go get this liner though cause I love duct tape so I’m sure I’ll love this! :)))

April 2, 2014 at 5:59 am

WOW, how awesome is that!

Speaking of duct tape- I had a friend in high schoo who made her prom dress out of duct tape- it was kinda amazing. Unfortunately, this was 10 years ago so they didn’t have all the awesome colors they do now so she had to stick with black and blue, but it was still amazing.

April 2, 2014 at 6:07 am

Ohhhh…..pretty! And you seriously look completely flawless and smooth! Question…with the cream you mention rimming the “inner lining” to make the eyes look bigger. With the purple, to make the olor stand out, you say to put it on the ” tearline” but kind of show the pencil under the eye. Yes, im that lame and don’t know if you mean the same thing! Because it looks like you have possibly added a little underneath as well. Help me distinguish the two! I’m 53, would you suggest one over the other? Also, the gel liner on the adorable 16 year old… Is that on the tear line or underneath? And FINALLY, this mascara looks light and natural, what kind is it? Your favorite? Thank you!

April 3, 2014 at 12:18 am

Thank you so much! In all fairness these were professional photos so I’m sure it’s Jessica to blame for my smooth skin! So the reason the eyeliner looks like it’s in my lash line is because I was having to look in the sun for these photos and it was making me cry a little, thus smearing my liner around! haha It’s pretty both ways though, just more subtle when it’s just in the tear line! On the gorgeous 16 year old the gel liner was just in the tearline as well. AS far as mascara goes, I use a lot of different ones for different effects this one is Laura Mercier and it’s gorgeous! Thank you!!

Beth and Beauty
    April 2, 2014 at 6:20 am

I have got to get this pencil! I suffer from under eyes bags and I do have a line under my eye that runs kinda down my face. I would like to try this pencil to see if it would help with it. Thank you so much for the tip. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for under eye bags. I would really like them and would love to share what tips I try on my blog so to help others too.

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      April 2, 2014 at 8:23 am

Run 2 tea bags under cold water and place them over your eyes as long as you can. This always hides my crying evidence!

April 2, 2014 at 6:42 am

You are glowing, girl! Very happy for you. This pencil is on my shopping list for sure. Also, thanks for featuring the dark color of your IIID foundation in the Makeover Monday post. I just ordered some and am going to go to town with my Toma’s and try it out! It’s time for Spring beauty — even if the weather doesn’t think so. xoxoxoxo

April 3, 2014 at 12:18 am

haha perfect ! Thanks for your suggestion gorgeous!

April 2, 2014 at 7:33 am

Wow – you really thought of every conceivable way to utilize that liner! Awesome post.

April 2, 2014 at 7:39 am

love this! You look gorgeous – you definitely have the baby glow 🙂 Ps. did you cut your hair shorter? It looks cute!! You should post a pic if you did 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 12:19 am

Thank you! Yes! I did and I will! (it’s actually more like a hefty trim but since I wear clip ins all the time it seems much more drastic than it really is:)

Krista Dial
    April 2, 2014 at 7:58 am

Okay…I have GOT to get my hands on this pencil. I’ve heard great things, but just haven’t picked it up yet. Thanks for sharing the many ways it can be used, Cara!

April 2, 2014 at 8:19 am

So many things to do with only one pencil <3 Love multifunction

April 2, 2014 at 8:34 am

Chella has a highlighting pencil called Ivory Lace that I use to do these things. Another good option!

April 2, 2014 at 8:52 am

These tricks are pretty amazing! Multi-use is the BEST way to my heart (product-wise!) 🙂

Dana fulcher
    April 2, 2014 at 8:59 am

Cara. As usual. Your the bomb!!!!

April 2, 2014 at 9:58 am

I have brown eyes, should I get this purple one or one of the other colors?

April 2, 2014 at 9:59 am

Love a multitasker (and an inexpensive one at that)! Thanks for sharing! You look fabulous, BTW!

April 2, 2014 at 10:25 am

I bought this eyeliner after I seen your last blog post about it and thank you for sharing on how to use it in other ways very helpful

April 2, 2014 at 11:01 am

You are simply gorgeous and the pregnancy “glow” is definitely shining through! Thanks so much for another very helpful post!

April 2, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I’m about your age, so I definitely remember all the duct tape shoes, wallets, and even SUITS! Yep! Duct tape suits!
    I love how you used this eyeliner and I’m extra excited because I already own this exact pencil! YAY!

April 2, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Cara, I have the worst time keeping my lipstick on. Would this help my lipstick stay put longer if I spread it sold my lips? Thank you

caroline [the diy nurse]
    April 2, 2014 at 6:01 pm

What a wonder! I was just thinking as I was looking at the last few photos…” man, her photography is amazing. I mean, its normally pretty darn good but did she get a new camera or something?”

April 2, 2014 at 9:26 pm

What mascara are you using here?!

April 3, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Great ideas! You are just FULL of good ideas to help make us girls feel beautiful!

April 4, 2014 at 8:22 am

This is amazing, I will have to pick one up (or three)!

April 5, 2014 at 12:32 pm

This beaut is on sale at Walgreens right now! $4.85

3 Friday’s Favorite Finds! | Pink Polka Dot Creations
    April 11, 2014 at 1:55 am

[…] has a full tutorial on all the things that this wonderful pencil can do!  Check it out here.  This girl is so cute and has some wonderful makeup […]

April 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Just got the last 2 at Walgreens, unfortunately, they were on clearance!

March 29, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I love the tips and tricks you give on this pencil. After I first read this article last year I went out that same morning and bought myself the pencil. It really makes a huge difference on my eyes when I line the inside of my eyes with the white. I have hazel-green eyes and it just makes them POP.

Thank you for having this blog.