Hair Hair Products Tips & Tricks Uncategorized

Tip Tuesday: Repair that hair!

I’ve been testing different ingredient mixtures for a homemade mask to make your hair it’s healthiest for a while now and I finally came up with the perfect mix.Incredible easy-to-make treatment for damaged hair!

I know, it kind of looks like an uncooked omelet.
It really does belong on your hair though. I promise.

The Recipe:

1 Egg {for the protein -& the natural moisture)
1 Avocado {this guy is a hair power house it’s oils are light and moist and full of nutrients that will moisturize an smooth out your tresses}
3 TBS Olive oil {for shine & strength}
1 TBS Honey {Which is a natural humectant – which means it attracts and locks in moisture and helps seal split ends!}

Blend all the ingredients together until its fairly smooth. Starting with the ends, massage the goop (cause trust me it is goopy and it does feel a little like your having a food fight with yourself at first) into your hair right on up to the scalp (my scalp had seen a little too much sun and this soothed it so nicely!)
Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse and wash (preferably with Wen:)

When I got out of the shower after using this I was kind of surprised because my hair didn’t feel much different but once it started drying HOLY WOW! Such softness and shine. It air dried frizz free as well….and made me wonder why I pay so much for intense deep conditioners when this is just sitting in my kitchen.

If you try it I gotta hear about your results!
Oh and don’t forget to send me those Glamour Shot for the contest. You guys are gonna die when you see the submissions I’ve already got. They are magnificent.

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    March 11, 2014 at 4:15 am

Third trimester pregnancy symptom: I read this and immediately wanted to eat an avocado. Maybe I’ll use half an avocado on my hair and eat the other half?

My hair could really use this. This winter has been so brutal on my skin and hair.
    (I will say that in my part of the country buying a drugstore deep conditioner would be cheaper. Avocados are pricey at this time of year.)

March 11, 2014 at 6:15 am

if you have an Aldi in your area they go on sale cheap! like .39 each. you can price match at walmart 😉

Kelly M
      March 11, 2014 at 6:52 am

I’m 30 weeks preggo and had the same thought: how could I do this mask without eating the avocado? I really sat here thinking about it: “well, I could spread just a little avocado on toast and use the rest for the mask…”

And Cara–how could you stand the raw egg while dealing with morning sickness?

March 11, 2014 at 4:35 am

we do not eat avocados at home, but i would substitute it with some yogurt

March 11, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Let me know how it goes with the yogurt!

March 11, 2014 at 4:45 am

I’m gonna try this out! Great post!

Xx alessia

Christine Coulter
    March 11, 2014 at 5:50 am

Can’t wait to try…..But wait am I the only one that doesn’t like WEN!!!

March 11, 2014 at 9:35 am

I also don’t like Wen, so don’t worry!! 🙂 I have long, thick, curly hair and it was just too much for it. I had a hard time rinsing it out of my hair. 🙁 I did like the way my hair felt at first, but it just got to be too much.

March 11, 2014 at 12:28 pm

no no no! I have many friends who don’t love it. It really isn’t for everyone! But for me it is amazing! Don’t worry though, I still have been trying other things to recommend to non- wenners! haha

March 11, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I also used wen but it was too much for my hair as well. Try Living Proof! It’s amazing!!

October 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Just a newbie, Im sorry what is Wen?

March 11, 2014 at 5:51 am

Are there any ingredients in this mixture that could damage or change my color treated hair? I had recently heard about washing your hair with a baking soda vinegar mix by someone who didn’t color their hair but thankfully I learned it would strip my color before I used it!!! Thanks!

Sara Velociraptor
      March 11, 2014 at 9:57 am

When you mix baking soda (base) and vinegar (acid) it just makes salt and water. I wish people would stop mixing these and expecting amazing things. Now, individually, these probably work a lot better. Well, unless salt water does something for you. Hope that helps!

Lisa Marie
    March 11, 2014 at 6:27 am

Love that this DIY includes avocado… such great stuff for the hair!

Happy I stumbled upon your blog. You can follow my blog À La Lisa (bloglovin button on my page) =)

Also, you can like me on Facebook

Lisa Marie
    À La Lisa

March 11, 2014 at 6:56 am

I have heard avo is amazing for ones hair, I really wish I could try it (allergic) but this sounds really awesome.

Meg | Meghan Silva’s Blog

March 11, 2014 at 7:04 am

Instead of using the whole avocado, what about using avocado oil. I use this in a blend on my face at night and it seems a whole lot less messy than the whole avocado.

March 11, 2014 at 7:29 am

I use this all the time on my hair with all the ingrediens mentioned minus the avocado. Another difference is that I leave it overnight by covering my tresses with a showercap & a satin bonnet on top of that. At first I expected the mixture to smell really bad but surprisingly it doesn’t. Guaranteed moisturized hair 🙂

March 11, 2014 at 7:32 am

Do you apply it to dry or wet hair?

March 11, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I applied it to dry – I think it soaks up the moisture better that way!

Nicki Jones
        June 8, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Water will swell the cuticle making it easier to absorb 🙂

Beth and Beauty
    March 11, 2014 at 7:46 am

It is amazing how we think so much alike. I just did and Beauty 101: How do I get my hair to grow? article on my post last Friday. It had using an avocado hair mask as one of the tips. I hope you are feeling better. It is good to see your blog active again. If you while you are resting have time hope you will come by my blog again. Anyone else is welcome also. Just click on my name to get there.

March 11, 2014 at 8:31 am

love this post

Brittany Billups
    March 11, 2014 at 8:40 am

I don’t know about the other ingredients but I used Olive Oil on my recently dyed hair and it washed out two shades lighter.

Heather H.
    March 11, 2014 at 8:53 am

question about the wen: how many pumps do you use? I have long hair, similar in length to yours and I felt like I needed to use a 1/4 of the bottle each time, so I gave up b.c that is waaaay too expensive. I wanted to like it but I felt like I was doing it wrong.

March 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I use about 10 pumps, but I focus it in my roots and then wash it out through my ends. I also buy the BIG containers cause I feel like I save a lot of money doing it that way! It is SO expensive though, I’ve been working on a DIY for it for a while. When I come up with the right mix it’s going to be a good day for my wallet! haha

Heidi Harlequin
    March 11, 2014 at 11:00 am

Have you experimented with essential oils or fractionated coconut oil for hair treatments?

I’m hosting a giveaway over on my blog of the TOP 3 essential oils if you are interested!!

Thanks for sharing this!

March 11, 2014 at 11:08 am

Be careful with the avocado when mixing it!! I would recommend blending it! I did this once, but only tried mashing it with a fork. Tiny avocado pieces got stuck in my hair and it took FOREVER to pick it out with my fingers in the shower! Even after I got out, I still found some stray pieces! The result is great as long as you blend everything well. 🙂

March 11, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Yeah, that’s probably true! Maybe just do half an avocado and eat the other half! haha Can’t wait to see that gorgeous baby of yours:)

March 11, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Does it matter what kind of honey you use? Meaning, can it be grocery store bought or should it be natural/organic…..

Also, in regards to Wen, I stumbled upon a comparable product when researching Wen a while back. Hair One, which I found at Sally Beauty Supply, is about $11 I believe, and is said to be the same as Wen.

Valeriya M
    March 11, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Personal experience – honey makes my hair get dandruff! I applied it into different home masks and realized that it’s the honey that’s the issue. Between, if you’d rather eat the avocado at one point, just the egg does amazing work as well!

March 11, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I was kinda disappointed with this one! I’m sure everything works different for everyone, but for some reason this just made my hair feel very damaged when wet and once it had air-dried: my hair was that stretchy mess you get when you use too much heat/bleach and it gets wet, and when it dried it was frizzy and tangled. I did see more shine though, so that’s one plus? I think the recipe was just too much protein for my hair-I used the egg and I also used plain Greek yogurt, and I think all that protein was just too much. So my advice: stick to Cara’s actual recipe and if you have very damaged hair be careful when using anything with protein! 🙂 Oh and also, blending the avocado (as I think some other people commented above) works WAY better than trying to mash it up by hand!

March 11, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Oh no!! It might be the case! I know that when I’ve put too much protein in my hair it makes it feel brittle and damaged 🙁 I’m so sorry it didn’t work for you Madison!

March 11, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Would concur oil be ok? I only have that or vegetable oil

March 11, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Yes! That would totally work!

March 11, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I meant to say coconut oil

March 11, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I like these natural hair remedies but they are a pain to wash out, in my opinion.

Kylie Storm Crichton
    March 11, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for this! I am seeing a night of pampering in my future complete with avo hair and a face mask 🙂

March 11, 2014 at 9:48 pm

For all you wen lovers here is my trick I always save an old bottle and with my new I pour half in the old and then fill the rest with water shake and use like normal! Seriously works like a charm. they recommend to keep adding moisture anyways so this way you do and end up using less with the same results 🙂

March 12, 2014 at 4:27 am

I tried this as soon as I saw it and it worked great! My hair was sooo soft and shiny! My hair is dry from color and using a curling iron and it made difference ! I also smeared it on my face and it made it incredibly soft too!

March 12, 2014 at 4:30 am

My favourite hair mask ever is one made from olive oil and avocado, never thought of making my own. Will def have to try this!

March 12, 2014 at 7:23 am

This kind of grosses me out, buy my love of and desire for shiny hair far exceeds my fear of grossness. Gotta try!

March 12, 2014 at 10:10 am

Wow. I never thought to try it but it sounds like I could use it. Thanks for the tip from

March 12, 2014 at 10:47 am

How often do you do this process?

March 12, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I was just debating about going to the hair salon for a repair treatment, so thanks for saving me big bucks! I’m definitely going to try this hair mask out

March 12, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I’m definitely gonna try this one with avocado because I hear so many people saying good things about it. Me I’m in love with the coconut oil/olive oil/honey mix!

My fashion blog:

March 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm

definitely going to try this! Thank you x

March 12, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Sounds like a lovely mask! My hair has been super dry due to the cold and long Canadian winters. But, I love eating avocados so much that I don’t know if I can give one half away for a hair mask!

Definitely going to bookmark this hair mask recipe if I ever have overdue avocados to use!

March 12, 2014 at 7:35 pm

So sad that people post hair treatments with egg in them. If anyone has actually tried this, ahem, me, you know that the egg actually cooks as you wash it out if you’re in a normal temp shower. Not pretty, not glamorous, and it doesn’t make your hair look better than before. In fact, you end up looking homeless and smell like it too. Just try pulling cooked egg chunks out of your hair for a week!

I usually love your posts but it seems like you didn’t even test this out or you’d know the disaster that would be.

March 31, 2014 at 8:22 am

When repairing damage or even rinsing out conditioner, it’s always best to use lukewarm or cool water so that it closes the hair shaft and seals in the moisture. Water that cooks the egg is too hot for hair.

April 8, 2015 at 10:19 am

I use egg in my “recipe” and have never gotten cooked egg while washing it out. I use hot water as well.

Sophie Ollis
    March 13, 2014 at 7:29 am

I love DIYs, especially for hair care. And avocados are miracle workers!

Check out my blog for the top 5 reasons to drink more water, skincare beauty products for him, and my flake-away roundup.

March 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm

This looks gross but I just might try it!
    Lately I’ve been obsessed with 1940’s hair styles but I just can’t figure out how they did it. Any tips?

March 13, 2014 at 7:00 pm

This is great! I just did a post on amazing hair products for under $10 that I use when I don’t have time to prepare home made remedies like this.

I also did a great post about diy makeup remover I make in batches!

March 14, 2014 at 7:36 am

I actually tried this and was impressed. It does work. I didn’t use the honey because we were out. After blow drying my hair, it was soft and less frizzy. I will do this one again. Thanks!

Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is
    March 15, 2014 at 4:13 am

[…] DIY ultimate  hair repair treatment. […]

Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease
    March 15, 2014 at 5:54 pm

[…] DIY ultimate  hair repair treatment. […]

Mila K
    March 16, 2014 at 3:13 am

I tried this mask and now my blonde hair looks amazing. I love it :*

. link love 3/16 . | . running with spoons .
    March 16, 2014 at 5:11 am

[…] DIY Hair Repair Treatment via Maskcara. A recipe for an awesome DIY moisturizing hair mask. […]

March 18, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Alright. Just read this post and litterally jumped up and put the ingredients in my foodprosessor and got in the shower. I don’t use Wen, so I shampooed first, got out of the shower. But a facemask on, and this in my hair. Sat in the sofa with a nice, ice cold glass of pepsi max for about half an hour. Got in the shower again, rinsed it out (really well!) and but conditioner in. Like someone have mentioned already my hair felt VERY stringy and when my ends started to dry I saw them frizz A LOT. But, here’s the twist: Half my hair (from about below my ears down) is chemically fried (a whim I got going brunette from semi-bleached blonde, back to blonde again within 6 months….), and the other half (from below my ears and up) is healthy virgin hair. Soooo, I put my regular hair oil in my ends because I saw the frizz, and just let it air dry completely. Now: As you can imagine I got mixed results. My damaged hair didn’t benefit from this treatment (all though I didn’t think so either, nothing really do except of highly expencive protein treatments and hair oil), but the other half that is healthy: WOOOOOW!!!! Suuuupersmooth, NO frizz, high shine without looking greasy.

March 22, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Just tried this and loved it. My hair isn’t much shinier but softer, which is saying something because my hair is naturally soft. Short of getting weird guacamole everywhere in my bathroom (that the dog licked up) I love this recipe and will definitely do again. Probably soon, I bought two avocados.

March 25, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Cara how often would u recommend doing this treatment

March 26, 2014 at 6:21 am

I love this hair mask. I did it on myself and my daughter last night. My hair looks and feels amazing!

Kiirabi juustele ehk kuidas turgutada talveväsimusest räsitud kiharaid | ideedelaegas
    March 26, 2014 at 9:31 am

[…] internetist ühe tòesti toimiva maski, mida julgen ka teistele soovitada. Maski retsepti leiate siit . Ma küll unustasin tegemata enne maski pähe panekut. Nii et peate mind uskuma, kui ütlen, et […]

March 27, 2014 at 7:56 am

I want to try this hair mask. Do I wash my hair before applying? or apply on dirty hair?

Lacey M
    March 29, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Tried this today with a friend! She has very long, thick hair and really struggled to get it all out. She still has a few pieces of leftover avocado stuck in her hair! However, it has made my processed, thin hair more soft and smooth and it isn’t even completely dry yet. It definitely helped and was fun to do with a friend!

The Prettilist | Maskcara
    April 8, 2014 at 4:04 am

[…]  Serum: Mythic Oil Drugstore Shine Serum: Oilicious Hair Repair: Ojon Hair Repair DIY Hair Repair: Recipe Beach texture: Oribe DIY Beach texture: Recipe Curling Iron: 1 1/4″ Hot Tools Clip-In […]

April 28, 2014 at 5:06 pm

OMG!!! This is super good!!! I have long hair and chemically treated hair and this was really good natural way of treating it. Wow wow and wo.w….. I am doing it every week!!!! Thank you!!!

Mel Stevens
    April 29, 2014 at 1:14 am

Avocado and honey. Now I’m hungry! Sounds like a great weekly hair mask and I’ve got all ingredients in my own kitchen. lol. I could perhaps add in a few drops of my favorite hair serum into the mix. I’ve got Pro Naturals Hair Repair System Argan Oil Serum and It really did wonders to my hair. It could add to the moisturizing effect. 🙂

May 9, 2014 at 9:54 am

Tried this last night and my blonde, damaged, dry hair is silky soft and oh so shiny today!!!… it didn’t help much with frizz, but coconut oil did the trick 😉 …Oh and it was actually much easier to wash out than I thought it would be. Thanks!!!

May 22, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Is there anything I could use instead of Wen?.. I’m from Venezuela and there’s nothing like Wen here 🙁 and it’s way more expensive for us to buy it online :'(

May 26, 2014 at 3:10 pm

So do you wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner when washing out the avocado mix??

Jeslin Jaisan
    November 1, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Wat z wen??
    Is der any substitute fr tat??

November 7, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Hey Cara do you ever use coconut oil on your hair or in a mask for it?

January 4, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I just finished my hair with this mask and HOLY SHINE

January 20, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Do you apply this only to your scalp or all over your hair? My ends are horrible!

5 Avocado Hair Mask Recipes For A Healthy Glow As Bright As A Diamond
    January 26, 2015 at 8:19 am

[…] The last recipe includes the following ingredients: one egg, one avocado, three tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of honey. Blend the ingredients together until you get a smooth mixture and apply it onto your hair starting with the ends. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse and wash.{found on maskcara}. […]

» How To: Homemade Hair Mask
    March 26, 2015 at 3:17 am

[…] could be just the ticket to give you soft and glossy locks again. Check out this concoction from Maskcara and let us know if it works for you (Tweet or Instagram us a […]

March 27, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I’m going to try this before I color my hair for the 1st time ever. But I can I do this on dry hair or hair be damp ?

March 29, 2015 at 9:13 am

Do you recommend using organic products or does it matter?

May 8, 2015 at 7:17 pm

I have a funny story to share about this hair mask! I was so excited to try it out, that I decided to put everything in my food processor to speed up the mixing process. It minced everything into little bits. I knew I’d created a problem while applying the mask, and spent about an hour cleaning minuscule bits of green from my head afterward!!! My entire family is now making jokes about my guacamole hair…and giving me bags of chips. All jokes aside…this is probably the softest and shiniest my hair has ever been!!! I’ll definitely try it again (this time I’ll take my time mushing up the avacado)!! LOL

Adriana Sosa
    May 19, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I do this regularly, but I always add a small ripe banana (for hydration, nutrition and extra smoothness), it works wonderful . Greetings from Mexico .

Naturalizing Your Daily Routine With At-Home Beauty Products
    July 1, 2015 at 7:51 am

[…] Most, if not all, of these ingredients you probably already have on hand. Here is an example from Maskcara of one of the more basic recipes and […]

July 10, 2015 at 9:48 am

Do u have to wet your hair before the treatment or put it on dry hair!!!

July 21, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Do I crack open the egg and dump it all in or just the Egg yolk?

คืนผมสวยด้วย "มาส์กอะโวคาโด" แก้ผมแห้ง พร้อมบอกสูตร!!
    November 10, 2015 at 2:12 am

[…] ขอขอบคุณข้อมูลจาก : […]

November 21, 2015 at 7:46 am

Tip: blend mixture with a blender or whisk to a creamy whipped mixture prevents tiny avocado peices from being stuck in your hair, wrap in plastic wrap or hair cap, (optional heat up on low with blow dryer for 30 sec), Leave on up to 30 mins, Wash hair regularly, best activated when applied to dry hair 🙂

“I’ll never have a blog.”
    January 16, 2016 at 10:43 am

[…] a blog post on that. Want to make a hair mask that will repair your hair? There’s a blog post on that. Want to start living a healthier lifestyle? There’s a blog post on that, and […]

All things Avocado! – Nikole Reuter
    January 19, 2016 at 12:16 pm

[…] this hair mask from Maskcara is super easy. it will help tame frizzy hair and con­di­tion dam­aged dry hair and split ends. The mois­ture and vit­a­mins can also help stim­u­late hair growth! […]

January 26, 2016 at 7:49 pm

i normally wash n condition my hair. after this treament, when i wash it off, do i use m normal conditioner? sorry if its a dumb question but i just want to make sure. i have thinning hair n i’m 45 years old, how often cshould i do this treatment? my hair is long to my mid back n brunet. i have problems with split ends n no shine. also my hair falls out.
    i appreciate your help.
    oh, does this also help hair grow?

February 22, 2016 at 11:39 am

This mask was wonderful for my hair. It made it super soft, and it even helped with spilt ends. I would definitely suggest this hair mask to everyone.

Jackie Gonalez
    February 27, 2016 at 11:22 pm

What if we don’t have Wen??

April 12, 2016 at 7:37 pm

How many times a week should I do this??

Hair Repair Treatment Diy | Ayurvedic Hairfall Treatment
    September 8, 2016 at 4:12 pm

[…] Tip Tuesday: Repair that hair ! – Maskcara – I’ve been testing different ingredient mixtures for a homemade mask to make your hair it’s healthiest for a while now and I finally came up with the perfect mix. […]