My Life

New York Times, No Kidding.

If you follow me on Instagram you already know about my article in The New York Times yesterday!
newyorktimes

I can hardly believe it! I am so incredibly honored. I keep thinking “THE NEW YORK TIMES! That’s a big freakin’ deal!” Cause it is! Right?
And as much as I would like to think it’s all my amazingness that got me this opportunity I know that’s not the whole story.
The real reason I’ve had this amazing experience is because of the beautiful writer, Lela.
She contacted me a while back to see if I was interested and of course I jumped on it immediately.
What I didn’t know then was how much I would love her. She flew to Vegas for the interview and it wasn’t long into our lunch (and subsequent makeup shopping) before I knew that we were going to be friends long after the article ran.
After we met up I went on to read some of her other pieces. My favorite, although it broke my heart, was one she wrote about her boyfriend’s tragic death. I wanted to share if with you, even though it’s a tear jerker, because it’s really beautiful. Here it is.

I say it all the time but it is so true. More than the glamorous New York Times articles:), and all the fun makeup I get to try, or any other perk – by far the best thing about blogging has been all of the women that I have been able to connect with.
Whenever I meet readers I know that these connections are real because it feels so natural, like we’ve been friends for a long time already, because we have.
I hope you know I am so grateful for your support and friendship. It means the world to me.
signature

89 Comments

Sara
    February 21, 2014 at 4:53 am

Oooooh!! How exciting! Congrats Cara, you deserve it soooooooo much!! 🙂

Lots of love from Spain,
    Sara

Susan W.
    February 21, 2014 at 4:56 am

This is so exciting for you!! I love your blog and I ADORE Maskcara products! You deserve this recognition!

April
    February 21, 2014 at 5:00 am

Way to go! You deserve it!

Maria Wright
    February 21, 2014 at 5:05 am

Cara, you are truly amazing! I hope you know that deep down inside. Your love of people and life shines through everything you touch! Thank you so much for bringing some much needed beauty into this world and taking us on along on your journey!
    I hope I get to meet you one day :0)
    You are such an inspiration!
    Congratulations on all your success!

Betsy
    February 21, 2014 at 5:07 am

That is awesome! Yay! You deserve it, too!

Twirly Skirt
    February 21, 2014 at 5:09 am

WOW! This is so incredibly exciting! A dream come true! Congratulations, Cara! I am so happy for you. This is such a well deserved honor. You’re the best!!! xoxo

kartasi
    February 21, 2014 at 5:12 am

Please post a link to the article!

J
    February 21, 2014 at 5:17 am

No link?

pennyp
    February 21, 2014 at 5:20 am

Excellent! So proud of you and so happy to say you are the only beauty blog I follow.

Chelsea Hannah
    February 21, 2014 at 5:21 am

Congratulations, girl!

Dorian
    February 21, 2014 at 5:23 am

Hope this link will work:

And please let me add my congratulations, you’ve really touched, and dare I say improved, many lives with your blog!!

salth2o
    February 21, 2014 at 5:30 am

Great- that means it will be even harder to get my hands on that IIID Medium! (happy for you though!)

kartasi
      February 21, 2014 at 8:58 am

My thoughts exactly!:) I decided to go ahead the light before that is sold out too.

Yasmin Santiago
    February 21, 2014 at 5:35 am

Cara- you are so right, I honestly believe in my head we are BFF’s!! I look forward to opening my inbox and look for my Maskara email. It’s like my best friend email, I open that first. I love how humble you are about all your achievements! You have worked hard and deserve every minute of it! When you get your big company I want to work for you!!! 🙂 Cheers my Friend!

ewa
    February 21, 2014 at 5:37 am

you diserve it girl!

Katie
    February 21, 2014 at 5:53 am

I know I shouldn’t be amazed by all of your success, but I’m amazed that I’ve been a part of it with you! Congratulations!

mia
    February 21, 2014 at 5:59 am

congrats! you are beautiful inside and out. I love your blog!

MEP
    February 21, 2014 at 6:11 am

Cara, congratulations on the story! But I must encourage you, in light of the increased national exposure this story will send your way, PLEASE play closer attention when writing and proofreading your posts. “Wholes story”… Your posts typically have spelling errors, grammatical errors, typos, etc. You will look so much more professional if you address this issue with your writing — the sooner, the better.

Whitney
      February 23, 2014 at 7:56 am

Not trying to argue here or anything, but just wanted to say I find any typos, misspellings, etc. endearing. It reminds me that beautiful people with success like Cara has had are completely human too. She’s real, this is her. She’s not perfect either. If she was grammatically perfect I feel like some of us would feel like it’s not the Cara we’ve gotten to follow, know, and love. It feels like she’s a friend of ours that’s being herself and casually talking to us about her life. Just my input 🙂

Ashley
        February 23, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I agree, Whitney.

Lela
    February 21, 2014 at 6:14 am

Oh Cara! Thank you so much for this. You are a beautiful person inside and out and I am so glad we have become friends!

Jamie
    February 21, 2014 at 6:19 am

Wow, that is awesome! Congratulations to you! Well deserved!

JELo
    February 21, 2014 at 6:21 am

Congratulations, Cara!!! That is so exciting and well-deserved. I know your family is so happy for you and proud!

Much love!

hautetea23
    February 21, 2014 at 6:21 am

Congratulations, thank you for revealing the true beauty in all women.

Beth and Beauty
    February 21, 2014 at 6:29 am

First of all I want to say Congratulations!!!! Yes it is a big deal!!!! You deserve it, you have worked so hard. You have been my inspiration in so many ways for my beauty blog! I hope you will share your New York Times news article on here with us when it comes out!!!!

Lisa Carroll
        February 21, 2014 at 9:48 am

Is this Lela who wrote the article? So touched by your story and strength to share it. Blessings to you…. <3

Lela
          February 21, 2014 at 11:08 am

Yes it is, and thank you Lisa!

Ashley
      February 23, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Beth,

After reading all of your comments on Cara’s blog, I finally checked out our blog. I want you to know that I think it’s sweet. I like your sincerity. You sound like a really neat person and I wish you all the best.

Ashley

Kami
    February 21, 2014 at 7:37 am

Congratulations GIRL!! I loved her article on her bf, it brought tears.

Sara
    February 21, 2014 at 7:38 am

Congratulations! Yes, Big Deal! I was wondering how to get in line for a makeover? What do you charge?

Cassie
    February 21, 2014 at 7:53 am

You deserve all the success that’s coming to you! That is totally a huge deal, you’re awesome Cara!

Chessa
    February 21, 2014 at 7:53 am

That is wonderful, Cara! Congrats! You are one special person! Thank you for sharing Lela’s story as well. You are the ONLY blogger that I can read the whole e-mail and then actually read an entire article based on your recommendation! Her story was so moving and well written…just like your own words when YOU speak. Thank you!!

Ashley
      February 23, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Cara strikes the perfect balance between being interesting, to the point and personable at the same time. Sometimes I feel like the excitement of learning Cara’s beauty tips is secondary to her personality. I sound like a movie critic, don’t I? Haha. Well, my point is that she is one of the few bloggers I can stand, too. She doesn’t try to be like everyone else. Most other blogs are basically copies of competitors’ blogs. They’re even mimicking each others’ writing styles these days. My biggest blogger pet peeve is when they take 30 photos of the same thing and write a novel about something that happened in their childhood that has absolutely nothing to do with the pictures. Haha! Blah. I like Cara. Remember who you are, Cara. Stay this way. You owe your success to your true self!

Cindy
    February 21, 2014 at 7:54 am

That’s awesome!! Congratulations!! Women lifting women higher! talk about girl power <3

Kristin
    February 21, 2014 at 7:55 am

Cara! I hope you never lose your humility. It’s one of the many things that makes me love you and relate to you! So happy for all your success.

Sophia
    February 21, 2014 at 8:30 am

So proud of you! Your beautiful spirit attracts more beautiful people and opportunities to you. Congratulations!

Andjelka
    February 21, 2014 at 8:31 am

I thoroughly enjoy your blog and you are such a positive person! Your simple and easy approach to some (to us!) pretty complicated things is really inspiring. I find your candor and honesty most refreshing! Congratulations on all your success!

Keep up the good work and keep going through life with a smile 🙂

Lots of love from Serbia,

Andjelka

melterese
    February 21, 2014 at 8:33 am

Go, Cara!

taylor
    February 21, 2014 at 8:35 am

You are so inspiring. I love your blog and am so glad that you have had so much success. You deserve every single bit of it. <3

Ash
    February 21, 2014 at 8:41 am

That is amazing girl!!! Congrats!

Xo Ash
    Sincerely Miss Ash

Robyn
    February 21, 2014 at 8:47 am

Congrats!

Shannon
    February 21, 2014 at 8:49 am

You just seem like someone who really, really deserves it. Congratulations. You are such a force of kindness on the Internet in addition to a great teacher.

JFC2001
    February 21, 2014 at 8:58 am

Loved reading this article about TWO of my favorites: you, and Maria of Cult Nails. Keep up the awesome work!!

Kristy Lewis
    February 21, 2014 at 9:07 am

Reading your blog has completely changed the way I do makeup! I have made notes of all your products you used and watched all your videos! I already like my makeup better! I always wanted to do the “contour look” but didn’t know how until now. I have my best friend/coworker addicted to it too!

Beauty Vanity
    February 21, 2014 at 9:14 am

Congrats! I totally have to agree with you, blogging has connected me to so many new people.

xx Alyson
    Beauty Vanity

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    February 21, 2014 at 9:21 am

Congratulations! It’s so great to see good things happening for you. When I exclaimed yesterday “Cara’s in the New York Times!” my mom and husband were super pleased for you, too. (Apparently, I talk about you and your line enough that my mom instantly knew who I meant.)

Courtney Dunsmore
    February 21, 2014 at 9:52 am

Omgosh,that’s amazing! I’m so proud(:
    You deserve it in every way. As a new blogger,no one else has inspired me quite like you have,as I’ve followed you for awhile,and you deserve it for all the amazing things you do,and hard work you do.congrats(:

Courtney
    aswestumblealongg.blogspot.com

Laurence King
    February 21, 2014 at 9:57 am

If it weren’t for you and the light you radiate, none of us would be here. You made this made happen, and I am so happy that you are getting the recognition. XOXO

Elisabeth Mejia
    February 21, 2014 at 9:58 am

Credit is give…where credit is due! You are absolutely due all the credit you are give..and MORE! Just the look on the faces of your clients on the Monday makeover pictures says it all! In the before picture they look happy to be there BUT in the after picture…they look sooooo confident and happy with themselves! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elisabeth Mejia
      February 21, 2014 at 10:00 am

Sorry! That should have read GIVEN not GIVE

Christina
    February 21, 2014 at 10:50 am

Congrats! That is so exciting! Don’t downplay it the New York times is a BIG Deal and you deserve it!!!! Hello Carrie Bradshaw of Makeup 🙂

LoriKay
    February 21, 2014 at 11:35 am

Congrats, you should be so proud!

Lelia
    February 21, 2014 at 11:43 am

Congrats Cara!! Well deserved, you are fabulous!

Jacqueline (@jaxvollat)
    February 21, 2014 at 11:43 am

Just read her blog post about her boyfriend and I have tears in my eyes. She is an incredible writer!

Dawn Antonow
    February 21, 2014 at 12:29 pm

How exciting!! So happy for you.

tarheelgirl6
    February 21, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Sincere congrats Cara!!! You absolutely deserve all of it and so much more!! Thank you from my heart for all you do for women!!

Christine
    February 21, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Love the article! Great win for you!

Belinda Lawlor
    February 21, 2014 at 1:40 pm

It’s because you are real, so keep it going

Esther
    February 21, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Congrats-so inspiring!

Carla
    February 21, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Congratulations Cara! I’m SO happy for you and all the wonderful things that have come your way. I hope some day to be just as inspiring as YOU! Your fellow Allure blogger… Carla! xo

Plum Pretty Sugar
    February 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm

This is fabulous! So many sweet congratulations, Cara, such a beautiful accomplishment!

xo

Maddie
    February 21, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Congratulations! You do amazing work, you deserve it. I’m so happy for you! 🙂

Lena
    February 21, 2014 at 9:29 pm

congratulations! you know it’s because you’re just such an open and giving person, it makes you interesting in the sea of blogs. love from indonesia!

Kara
    February 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Wow! Haha so here I was so excited to see an article about you in the Saint George newspaper last weekend & there you are in THE NEW YORK TIMES! That is so awesome!! You totally deserve it, you contribute & help us (your readers) so much! Congratulations!!

Ashli
    February 22, 2014 at 4:51 am

Congratulations! Love your Blog!

Nancy Lacke
    February 22, 2014 at 8:19 am

Congratulations Cara – outstanding!! Thanks for sharing Lela’s article – so beautiful!

meganmarie013
    February 22, 2014 at 11:31 am

Bravo! Very exciting

laura
    February 22, 2014 at 3:52 pm

congratulations cara you definitely deserve it love you’re blog

Boni
    February 22, 2014 at 4:41 pm

A very big congratulations to you, Miss Cara! I am thrilled and excited for you and your achievements. I bet it feels so surreal and heady! I give you a curtsy and bow. You are beauty’s royalty, afterall. I am so thankful and grateful for your desire and willingness to roll up your sleeves and give women everywhere the tools to be their best selves in your word and deed. Congratulations again, my dearest Cara. What an incredible time for you! Enjoy it and be well. 🙂

caroline [the diy nurse]
    February 23, 2014 at 5:22 am

What an honor! So happy for your success. You deserve it!

Boni
    February 23, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Oh and thank you, Lela, for sharing your story. You’re a beautiful writer, and I want to tell you how deeply sorry I am for everything you have gone through. I am just so very incredibly sorry… I can’t even tell you. I pray for your heart to always be wrapped up in warmth and protected by your angels and that you always feel like there is a soft cozy blanket draped around your shoulders giving you comfort. I responded on your story page. I wish you much peace, dear Lela.

Melissa Ivy
    February 24, 2014 at 5:29 am

I’m so happy for you! There is nothing like seeing a woman in this industry make it and on her own at that! Pat on the back to you girlfriend!
    Love, Melissa xo

Boni
    February 24, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Cara, next time you are photographed have your picture taken while you are sitting on your cool blue chair! 🙂

Lizzie
    February 24, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Congratulations Cara! How exciting! (And thanks for sharing Lela’s beautiful story.)

Jessica
    February 26, 2014 at 7:58 pm

So, so happy for you! I read every single post you write even though I hardly comment because it’s so time consuming to comment from a phone, but I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog not just for your beauty tips but for everything you write about that’s so beautiful and touching. Like your posts about aging….it had me in tears. Thank you Cara and I’m so happy they featured you, you are an amazing person!

Kelly
    February 26, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Congratulations, this is so exciting!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

myfairdaily
    February 27, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Thank you for sharing that article Cara! So beautiful and very inspiring for women to read! I will check out your article on Pinterest because I am dying to read it 😀

Suzan Green
    March 10, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Congratulations!!!

-Suzy

Boni
    November 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm

🙂 Had fun revisiting this post! So incredible. 🙂 XOXO 😉

Best Birkin Replica
    November 4, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Best Birkin Replica

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.[url=http://www.therrci.org]Birkin Bag Hermes[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Bags Outlet[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Birkin Replica[/url][url=http:…

Hermes Outlet
    November 4, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Hermes Outlet

This excellent article assisted me very much![url=http://www.therrci.org]Birkin Bag Hermes[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Bags Outlet[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Birkin Replica[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes So Kelly Bag[/…

Birkin Bag Replica
    November 4, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Birkin Bag Replica

I am so satisfied finding this blog and I have to admit that all information stated here is really useful. I hope that you will continue to post such great posts like this one in the future. Thanks a lot again.[url=http://www.therrci.org]Birkin Bag Her…

Hermes Bags Outlet
    November 4, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Hermes Bags Outlet

from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me.[url=http://www.therrci.org]Birkin Bag Hermes[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Bags Outlet[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Birkin Replica[/url][url=h…

montre cartier rectangulaire prix
    July 25, 2017 at 7:48 am

montre cartier rectangulaire prix

The same applies to New Scientist in the UK – not to mention the medical journals.

fake van cleef and arpels sweet alhambra necklace
    July 26, 2017 at 8:51 pm

fake van cleef and arpels sweet alhambra necklace

cartierlovejesduas Links are still outhere and they still matter. not long till we will have the SEO tools available for you. looking forward for your opinion then , Amir

cartier love necklace yellow gold fake
    August 27, 2017 at 2:31 pm

cartier love necklace yellow gold fake

980円(税込)価格1,940円(税込)価格2,980円(税込)当店通常価格4,メールアドレスなど)を、裁判所、 警察機関等?※日本語表記の成分表のラベルが付いた、日本の薬事法に沿った商品です。400円(税込)価格4, 【釣り人】向日市坂本氏ら2人【連絡先】 0770-76-1251 アオリイカ(25匹) 10?60センチ 三重紀伊長島 長島湾内 【釣り人】大阪府検稀具B絡先】 0597-47-0712 カマス(54匹) 30?幼い頃、遊びに行っては、タイムスリップしたような感覚さえあり、堆肥の臭い…

van cleef knock off alhambra necklace
    September 5, 2017 at 5:53 am

van cleef knock off alhambra necklace

cartierlovejesduas Heya i am for the very first time here. I came across this panel and I in locating It actually useful & it helped myself out a great deal. I’m hoping to provide one factor back and aid others for example you helped me.

knock off van cleef bracelet alhambra
    September 20, 2017 at 6:16 am

knock off van cleef bracelet alhambra

Have you ever thought about filing separately? In most situations, that’s a worse way to file but it could be better for you and your husband.