AskCara Products Skin Skin Products Skincare

Tip Tuesday: Kiss dry skin goodbye

I hope you all had a fun long weekend!

SO for at least a year now I have been majorly struggling with some serious skin dryness.
At night my dry legs itch so bad that I have even drawn blood from my vigorous itching!
As always when something like this happens to me I get a little wave of excited silver lining…
I’ll find a cure and share it with my readers who are struggling with the same thing!
Which turned my little itches into a crusade,
I tried EVERYTHING:

Bath soaks
Changing everything in my shower
Putting a filter in my shower
Taking cooler showers
All kinds of different lotions
Coconut oil
Nothing
Different razors
Not shaving (that was fun!:)

…some of it helped a little but nothing really worked…UNTIL …

crackcreme
My mom has been using Crack Creme ( and praising it’s greatness) for years. Nothing was able to clear the cracks and dryness (to the point of bleeding!) on her heels until she found it but I just figured that’s all it was good for “heel-cracks”- until the other day my mom told me she spritzes it on her whole body (contrary to it’s name its less of a creme and more of an oil) after a shower and it has saved her dry skin.

WHAT!? I had to try it immediately!
And guess what?…BAM, just like that!
no more itching, no more dryness. no more scratched up shins.

My mother, the medicine woman, has some special instructions I should be sure to mention as well:)
She says:

Don’t get anything but this exact crack creme. Not the creamy version or any other types. The original is the best by far! She also gets it HERE which she says is the best deal around.

signature

If you’d prefer to try amazon (some people were getting better deals there after all!)Β here’s a link:)

95 Comments

Robin W.
    February 18, 2014 at 4:12 am

Hey Cara, I’d love to try this but can you clarify which one you and your mom like? The pic above is the liquid formula but all the links you include reference the cream formula, just want to make sure I try the right one! Thanks!

Nancy
      February 18, 2014 at 6:30 am

The Lucky Vitamin company offers the very best price I have found. If you just type in “the original liquid formula ” on Cara’s link you will find it. Be sure to spritz it on and then massage it in after you are well hydrated by your bath or shower. The best way to use it on your feet is to massage it in a few times each day for 2 or 3 days. It will work as an exfoliator and soon your feet will be as soft as a baby’s bottom! Then just apply it once daily for maintenance. I use it on my whole body after a shower. After a few days when you massage it in you will find that the old skin cells will be released and your new soft skin is able to come to the surface. It is an inexpensive little miracle!!

Robin W.
        February 18, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Love it thanks!

Emily Davis
    February 18, 2014 at 4:20 am

I get the same problem when it gets cold. I have tried just about everything. And yeah, not shaving is fun- especially when you forget and get a pedi with legs like a furby. Thanks for the tip, I will def try this.

Sloane
    February 18, 2014 at 4:28 am

I’m with Robin- your link is for the cream formula but you say you spritz it on. Please clarify which is the correct one to buy. Thanks!

Elizabeth
    February 18, 2014 at 4:56 am

Same question ^^ as I’m in desperate need of this ‘miracle’ product also!

Cara d
    February 18, 2014 at 5:04 am

Thanks so much. I work in the medical field which means obsessive hand washing. My fingers are so cracked they make it hard to pick things up. I just ordered 2 bottles of amazon for $15. I had to get that prime shipping as I can’t find it local and need it ASAP! Thanks so much. Reviews on amazon are glowing too

Jan S
    February 18, 2014 at 5:12 am

Am desperate too! Is it safe for eczema? Most everything I try makes my eczema break out even more! Thanks for sharing!

Cara
      February 18, 2014 at 8:53 am

I am not sure on eczema, I’m gonna go to the reviews on amazon and see if anyone there has advice on that and get back to you!

teresa
      February 19, 2014 at 3:19 pm

One word: Curel !!!!!(Anti-itch for eczema.) Clinically proven and endorsed by the ADA. It’s the correct balance of ceramides to correct those that go wacko in eczema and are different to those in psoriasis. It’s also the bomb for wrinkles and older skin. Really a miracle product. It changed my bf’s life of horrendous itching and now I use it before my other anti-aging creams.

Bonnie Boze
    February 18, 2014 at 5:18 am

The link you gave went to the cream & I had a hard time searching for the spray. Here is the direct link… http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-20701-zims-crack-creme-original-herbal-liquid-formula-2-oz
    πŸ™‚

Cara
      February 18, 2014 at 8:53 am

Thank you! Yes that’s the one!

Tina
    February 18, 2014 at 5:19 am

Same question as others the link you posted is a cream, did not see any spray formula. Please post the exact product so we can order it.

Bonnie Boze
    February 18, 2014 at 5:20 am

Also, how does she use it (at night, w socks, etc) and will it be greasy?

Cara
      February 18, 2014 at 8:49 am

she uses it right after a shower and on her feet she rubs it in and then puts on socks! It absorbs pretty quickly and doesn’t feel greasy a all to me.

Amy Florez
    February 18, 2014 at 5:24 am

If this works on my crocodile skin, I will love you forever!!!

Cara
      February 18, 2014 at 8:55 am

consider us lifetime lovers then:)

Megan
    February 18, 2014 at 5:36 am

My mom uses this on her heels too πŸ™‚ She told me to use it on my dry skin and it cleared up my sad little dried up elbows like nothing!

Cara
      February 18, 2014 at 8:56 am

Oh yes! I just felt my elbows when I read this and they are like gray sandpaper. Heading for some crack creme for those babies right now! Thank you! haha

Cory
    February 18, 2014 at 5:47 am

Just bought a 4 pack on Amazon for $25. Hope it works! My skin is a nightmare in the winter.

Anna-Leigh
    February 18, 2014 at 5:48 am

I am definitely going to try this! I’ve come to terms with my dry skin because I have had it forever but definiy checking this out!

Melody
    February 18, 2014 at 6:05 am

Same problem with the itchy legs and scratching till they bleed. I’ve even tried layering lotions with hydrocortisone cream but still got no relief. Look forward to trying this.

Heather B
    February 18, 2014 at 6:07 am

YAYYYY!! Thank you for this tip. Have one question- you say that your Mom says to NOT use the cream formula but your link goes to that one and there is an original formula. Which one do you recommend- I want to be sure to get the one that worked miracles for you and kiss my dry, scaly hacked up legs goodbye!! πŸ™‚

Nancy
      February 18, 2014 at 6:33 am

Just do a search on the Lucky Vitamin web page for “The Original Liquid Formula”

Taylor
    February 18, 2014 at 6:34 am

Thank you so much for sharing! I have the EXACT same problem with my itchy legs, to the point of drawing blood and the after burn of itching them so much! I have been trying different things for years! I am definitely going to give this one a go. πŸ™‚

Nicole
    February 18, 2014 at 6:36 am

I’ve had the same problem so I am excited to try this. However, I have another problem now from all the scratching–I have gotten some scars (I scar and bruise so easy) is there anything you reccommend to minimize the appearance of scars on your legs?

Emily
    February 18, 2014 at 6:40 am

Do you have eczema or are you just itchy? Did you try Eucerin? I have eczema and it’s been a beast this winter. I might try this.

Erin Ostlie
      February 26, 2014 at 10:25 am

I have horrible eczema too and coconut oil works WONDERS!!!! PS- I also cut out gluten and that helps too but I don’t want to shove my habits on anyone πŸ˜‰

Rachel
    February 18, 2014 at 6:47 am

A while ago I started using Aveeno lotion on my body & feet. It has dimethicone in it, which really helps heal & prevent cracked skin. It really seems to last throughout the day too. Another great lotion to try is CeraVe creme. It’s super thick, which is something I need living here in AZ, but it’s not at all greasy. I even use it on my face! But honestly the best thing you can do for dry skin? Stick a humidifier in your room at night!

Lauren
    February 18, 2014 at 6:48 am

I have tinea versicolor a bit on my stomach and have tried EVERYTHING. Nothing works, even the multiple prescriptions the dermatologist gave me. Not sure if anyone else has this issue. I rub coconut oil on every day as well, and it helps a little with the dryness, but I think I’ll try this!

Beth and Beauty
    February 18, 2014 at 6:51 am

Thank you so much for this tip! I also have and am guilty of scratching my itchy legs until I bring blood (sad face). I will for sure be checking this Crack Cream out. Tell your mom thanks to!!! I am going to get this and if it it works for me I will also do an in depth review on my blog. so we can get the word out!!

Lisa
    February 18, 2014 at 6:58 am

Anyone have a promo code, the shipping costs more than the product!

Joy
      February 18, 2014 at 7:38 am

Amazon sells it for $4.99 + $1.92 in shipping (sold by Pharmapacks). Not bad!

Kate
    February 18, 2014 at 7:15 am

Since it sounds like an oil, you can also try putting it on before you shower too. I’ve been doing that with body oil this winter, and it’s been helping. I like to think the oil acts as a barrier to keep the hot shower water from drying out my skin – and also that the heat from the shower helps the oil penetrate the skin more. Might all be in my head, but so far it’s working πŸ™‚

Beth and Beauty
    February 18, 2014 at 7:30 am

I just ordered the original crack creme oil as suggested and plus found my gummy vitamins I use with your link. Thanks Cara!

Jessica
    February 18, 2014 at 7:33 am

Can I use it on my face? My skin is very dry so this would be great for my body but my face is bad too. I’ve been using Aquafor but am breaking out, anyone have recommendations for a reasonably priced face cream (I’m 32, so anti-aging would be great too).

Heather
    February 18, 2014 at 7:56 am

I’ve had the same problem with scratching up my shins! My cure has been to shave at least every other day (maybe it’s the exfoliation?) and Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream. I don’t think what we have is eczema but something about that cream is very calming for severe dryness. It has been the only lotion that works for me!

Elizabeth
    February 18, 2014 at 8:12 am

You may want to talk to your dermatologist about possibility of nickel allergy. Most razors contain nickel and it can cause severe itching. My sister has it and can’t even wear belts b/c most buckles have nickel and if it happens to rub on her stomach she will break out and get itchy. I’ve been putting a scoop of coconut oil in my bath water lately and that seems to help. Also I use a milk and honey Epsom salt bath and it really soothes my dry skin. But I definitely want to try this crack Creme and the name is totally ‘cracking’ me up! (Sorry couldn’t resist

Ary C
    February 18, 2014 at 8:13 am

I will have to try this, i have a question for you. what do you you on your face? I tried the st ives timeless skin but i noticed it gave me a rash as do most drug store face lotions do. HELP!

Jennifer
    February 18, 2014 at 8:25 am

I ordered it from amazon. The shipping was 2.00 instead of 5.99 πŸ™‚

Tina
    February 18, 2014 at 8:43 am

Thanks for the post! I am breastfeeding so I check the ingredients in everything before use and I did a quick google search on the ingredients of Arnica Extract and Myrica Oil and they are both listed as not safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women. I’m sure it’s a small amount in the oil but thought that your readers might want to be aware so they can make an informed decision before using this. Love your blog!

Mollie
    February 18, 2014 at 9:47 am

I learned from a yoga instructor to spray an oil BEFORE your shower to protect your skin, as well as after. It has been a huge help!

Jaime
    February 18, 2014 at 9:58 am

To get rid of the itchy legs I stopped using any sort of shave gel and started using CETAPHIL CLEANSER to shave and it has CHANGED MY LIFE! (also works under arms and in the bikini area) In the winter I use the Cetaphil CREAM (comes in a tub) and that has been a game changer. I get SUPER dry, itchy skin on my back in the winter (I LOVE my hot showers and am not ready to give them up) and it has totally eliminated them. That stuff hydrates so well, lasts all day and is not greasy at all! I threw out all of my other lotions and oils. I use the cream in winter and the regular lotion in the summer.

Jaime
      February 18, 2014 at 10:01 am

I want to clarify I only use the CLEANSER to shave, and use the cream or lotion after the shower…re-reading my comment, I wasn’t sure if that was clear….

kds12
        February 18, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Does the Cetaphil do a good job at taking care of razor bumps? I get them all the time in my bikini area and would love a solution.

Elizabeth
          February 18, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I don’t know about the Cetaphil personally but I do use a Sally Hansen product I found at the drugstore after I shave my bikini area. It’s a little spray bottle, orange and white, and I believe it may have aloe in it not sure, but I haven’t had a single razor bump/burn after shaving since I started using it. Just spritz on after you shave. Good luck!

Bonnie
    February 18, 2014 at 10:32 am

You’re popular! Already on back order at Lucky Vitamins.

Tina
    February 18, 2014 at 11:02 am

My husband and I used to laugh at the commercial for this stuff… (our similar ’12 year old boy humor’ strikes again). It just sounds like its for a specific region of the body… that has a crack…. LOL

Charlotte
    February 18, 2014 at 11:14 am

Isn’t itchiness just the worst feeling in the whole wide world? I used to get MISERABLY itchy legs every time I shaved, until I switched from shaving cream to coconut oil. What a relief! I will have to try this stuff as well.

Laura
    February 18, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Can you use it on your face?

Tina C
    February 18, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hopefully Cara will respond to us; with the exact item

Keaton
    February 18, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Thank you so so much for posting this! I’m having the same problem this time of year where my legs are insanely itchy and I’m making myself bleed from scratching so much – so attractive right? Can’t wait to try this!

smfarris
    February 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I am buying some right now! I just did a post on dry skin, but I am always google-ing for more remedies. My eczema is out. of. control.

Raya
    February 18, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Looks like a gift from Heaven! Could really use this right now. πŸ™‚ xoxo

Samantha
    February 18, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Ack, Amazon is out and most other places don’t ship to FPO! My skin is awful right now. Like you, I’ve drawn blood scratching. And as superficial as it sounds, it’s frustrating to have marked up legs…I teach yoga 5 days a week, usually in crops, and it’s awful for people to look at.

Elle (@ElleIsForLiving)
    February 18, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Cara – would you spray this on your face?

Kate
    February 18, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I just went on Lucky Vitamin and looks like it’s on back order. Everyone must be rushing to get their hands on this product lol!

Christie Brown
    February 18, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I have the exact same problem with majorly dry legs! It seems to be worse after a warm shower, I literally cannot sleep some nights. THANK YOU for posting this, I’ve definitely got to try it out.
    Fingers crossed it’s sold here in Australia.

xx

TinaG
    February 18, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I must have this now!!! I’ve had the worst battle with dry skin this winter, and this is a totally new problem for me. I have always had oily skin and never even needed lotion until this winter. Does anyone have any suggestions for dry itchy scalp? I’ve tried everything from Aveda scalp benefits to scalpacin. I tried Fekkai Apple shampoo for a deep clean and used coconut oil and deep conditioners by the dozens to no avail. I don’t know what to try next. My stylist has assured me it isn’t dandruff related, but just seasonal dryness. I’m thinking of hitting my head with a shot of the crack cream…. πŸ™‚

teresa
      February 19, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Try loreal’s products with ceramides…bothe the shampoo and conditioner. ther conditioner is AMAZING!!!

TinaG
        February 20, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Thank you Teresa…. heading to Target this minute to check these out!!!

kds12
    February 18, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I used to suffer from dry and sensitive skin. I would get horrible razor rashes on my legs after shaving or if I changed my shaving schedule. I tried Eucerin and absolutely love it. I use the thickest formula.
    Cara, I’ve been having issues with dry facial skin. I ran out of my Proactiv toner and in the meantime, I used Neutrogena astringent. This totally dried out my skin and made it flake, so I went cold turkey on toners. Do you have any suggestions while I wait for my Proactiv shipment? I already moisturize religiously.

Cara
    February 18, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I just ordered some for a whopping total of $7.15 with shipping. I figure what’s another $7 when I’ve spent a small fortune trying to cure my cracked feet and itchy legs! Love this blog and can’t wait for this to arrive so I can stop tearing at my shins!!! πŸ˜‰

Lulu B (@teamlulu)
    February 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I seriously thought that I was the only one who dealt with the dry skin. I even get it in the summer after a few days of shaving.

Like you I itch to the point where I draw blood and I’m all patchy. Ive been going through trial and error trying to fix the problem. Ive even gotten to the point to wash my body with Cetaphil. I am so going to order this and try it out!

Heather
    February 18, 2014 at 6:25 pm

The crack cream for lips is by far the best lip balm I have ever used and I am allergic to most of “the best” lip balms, I even sneak it on my cuticles when they start to crack.

Valeriya M
    February 18, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Cara, what shower filter do you use? I’ve been meaning to invest in one. I swear our water is horrible here.
    What has been doing wonder for feet is L’Occitane and some cream I bought in Israel. I know the L’Occitane’s expensive, but I swear by it.
    This is by the way vamaksi on instagram. I finally started up blogging again (used to in the very distant future). Maybe you’d like to… check it out :).

Valeriya M
    February 18, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Correction! Distant past….
    And my blog website did not show up. Just in case… http://crazride.blogspot.com
    Keep on smiling!

Cindy
    February 19, 2014 at 6:50 am

Interesting…are you supposed to put that all over your body??

Shaina
    February 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Vanicream works really well for eczema. I have been using it for years. I use it every time after I shower and as needed. Stays all day/night and I don’t get itchy or eczema bumps any more! You can find it at Walgreens or Walmart/Target. I think CVS sells it too.

Diane
    February 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Itchy here, too. FYI, the lotions with dimethicone do work and the cheapest is Dermasil from Dollar Tree! Yes, it’s $1.00 and has no fragrance and works very well. Use it immediately and liberally after you towel off from your shower…no itching. Only $1.00 to lose. It’s great stuff.

Meme
    February 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Thank you, can’t wait to try!

I so need this. During the winter I started to slather Bag Balm on my legs. I think only people in New England know the product, but it was developed to keep COW’S UDDERS from cracking in the cold Vermont winters in the 1800’s. It’s a thick lanolin and petroleum jelly ointment – works – but not exactly a “beauty product” experience! This sounds SSOOOOOOO much better!

Elizabeth
      February 19, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Bag balm and crack Creme lol!!! This blog post has had me laughing for two days

Jennifer
    February 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Random question! I love the font you used in your image. Would you mind sharing the name of the font?! Okay, back on topic I have been experiencing the same itchy legs this winter like never before so thanks for the tip!

Dan Dan Fagan
    February 21, 2014 at 1:51 am

Do you think you could use this on your face? No matter what creams I use, night creams coconut oil, supersonic hydrating masks, they work for an hour or so but then my skin especially my forehead start to look dry again…I drink shedloads of water etc… thanks x

Flora
    February 21, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Will have to try this–my heels are terrible. I’ll put it next to the Bag Balm in my closet. πŸ˜€

Have you ever tried Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap as a body wash? I discovered this by accident, but I find it works better than those shea butter body washes (and I think it’s cheaper).

For eczema, I’m seconding the Curel Anti-Itch lotion–works wonders on my husband who has a bad case and we’ve tried nearly everything. It’s not sticky and it works!

Someone mentioned scars/dark marks–Bio-Oil! I get dark marks from insect bites and this clears them up much faster. Also works well on my old/new scars.

Jessica
    February 23, 2014 at 10:48 am

I’m going to have to try this…now to find it in a store near me. πŸ˜€ Does anyone know if it’s available in any offline retailers? I don’t have a credit/debit card to order things online. Also, about how long does it last?

Elizabeth
    February 25, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Ok so my crack Creme came in today. Has anyone else gotten theirs and noticed the very strong smell? I’m a little disappointed b/c I don’t want to smell like that but I’m going to try it out after my shower tonight and see if its worth it.

molly
      February 26, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Elizabeth I completely agree. I received my bottle yesterday and used it last night. HOLY AWFUL SMELL. I went ahead and used it on my feet then rubbed what was left on my hands. The smell was so unpleasant to me I had to wash it off.. I’ll try it a couple of times though on my feet but no where else on my body because of the smell.

Elizabeth
        February 26, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Yeah I used it last night and didn’t wash my hands after. I started sneezing and think it was the smell, maybe even allergic reaction??!! So I have to be sure to wash my hands after I think. But I did notice a slight difference in my feet this morning. Could just be my imagination lol but I put it on again this morning while just wearing socks around the house. Good thing is my bf said he really couldn’t smell it. Thankfully! Lol

K.A. P-P
    February 27, 2014 at 11:47 am

Gosh this crack creme is so incredible to me. It has taken care of a plethora of dry skin issues i’ve been having this year. i put it anywhere i felt dry…yes even my face! and it has made it soft and even cleared up a few issues i’d been having for over a year now. I’m eternally grateful to Cara for this post. It has really been a huge help and i will use it forever. p.s. i think it smells great…like cloves or potpourri and the smell dissipates rapidly. I’m going to tell anyone who mentions their dry skin to me about it. Thanks again Cara, this blog is the best on the web.

Misty
      February 27, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Did you get the spray or the lotion?

K.A. P-P
        February 28, 2014 at 5:37 am

the spray, like Cara suggested. I don’t think i’ll ever try the creme since her Mom has already said it’s not as good. I also want to try the lip balm…I’ve read quite a few good reviews about it.

Lindsey
    February 27, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I just got my crack creme and was so excited … until i put it on…. THE SMELL IS TERRIBLE. luckily i am newly single and no one will be close enough to me to notice the smell … but it is not good. i am hoping the spray works tonight though for me. i can’t stop scratching! glad i’m not the only one with this problem! We shall see if it works. i just lathered up!

Lindsey
      March 2, 2014 at 4:21 pm

okay.. after using for a few days, it is AWESOME. no more scratching!! except the smell is bad. i just use it at night. and its fine by the morning.

Lindsey
        March 2, 2014 at 6:03 pm

additionally… two friends just walked in my house after i applied and they both said it smelled like cloves and christmas and they enjoyed the smell… so maybe it is just me!

Mariel
    March 8, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Cara you’re the best! I’m so glad you suggested this! I was skeptical, but after only 2 days my skin was so soft, not itchy, and it even resolved my eczema and psoriasis. Yes the smell takes a little while to get used to (kind of like a black licorice/cinnamon mixture) but it goes away after about 30 minutes. I recommend this even to those who feel like they’ve tried everything. Thanks again Cara!!!!

Candi
    March 19, 2015 at 4:12 pm

I’m a bit afraid of the smell after reading these posts (I was really hoping to use it with my daughter whose hands get so dry they crack & bleed, but she hates odors) but I’m hopeful it helps with my legs & feet. Anyone still looking for it Walgreens online has it and shipping is free with $25 purchase πŸ™‚

where buy auravie skin care
    August 15, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Hi there, I desire to subscribe for this web site to obtain latest updates, therefore where can i do it please help.