My Life

In honor of St. Valentine

I have always loved Valentines Day.
Frosted cookies, conversation hearts and any good reason to mix pink and red and to celebrate love is going to be a hit with me!
Even when I was single I always thought it was such a good excuse to get together and have fun with my other single girl friends.

So today I thought I would share some of my favorite V Day inspired things.

{Get this print here}

Have you ever heard of This American Life the radio program? Well, if you haven’t you need to check it out.
It’s basically a gathering of stories about people.
My brother and his wife Randi and I all listen to the stories and share our favorites with each other.
I love listening instead of reading sometimes because you can do it while you drive, work, cook or exercise.
Anyway one of my very favorites is this one: Break Up. If you’ve ever been dumped it is a MUST LISTEN.
You”ll love it. {spoiler alert! Phil Collins makes a cameo)
Somehow breakups are kind of romantic to me…maybe that’s because I’m married to someone who once broke up with me so I am biased but there’s something about longing for someone you can’t have that is just…hopelessly romantic, right?
If you haven’t read that story about me and Nick and want to, here’s the link.

I won’t be making these Cheesecake Strawberries for my valentine because he actually doesn’t like cream cheese. I love him in spite of that, which really goes to show how strong our love is.

This makeup tutorial is one of my very favorites of all time, and so romantic.

kim copy

Also a little shout out to my other ‘The Fault in our Stars’ (one of my favorite books ever) lovers , have you seen the movie trailer yet?
I don’t want to get my hopes up or anything but…they might have done this one right, the cast is perfect to me!
If you haven’t read it yet I totally envy that you are still able to read it for the first time, you are one lucky lady.

I’m just so grateful to be living in a world filled with so much love.

February 13, 2014 at 4:24 am

I love this site and your posts so Happy Valentine’s Day to you. I also love “This American Life” but may have missed the Breakup so will listen now. Thanks for sharing.

February 13, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Thank you! Yes, let me know what you think after you listen!

February 13, 2014 at 4:31 am

I absolutely love the fault in our stars. I hadn’t seen the trailer yet, but it looks amazing! My niece, who was around 13 at the time, and wise beyond her years (she’s 15 now) told me I had to read it, that it was the best thing ever written. She was so right. I have to take her out on one of our niece/aunt days to see this.

I hope you have a happy Valentine’s Day, and that you continue to see the beauty in life and love that surrounds you. It’s a wonderful perspective to have in a world that doesn’t always take the time to see it.

February 13, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Thank you so much! It’s funny because I recommended the book to my nephew who’s 13 and he loved it too:) so nice for someone to write so well that it can reach people of all ages! Happy V Day Gorgeous!

Jessica Rose
    February 13, 2014 at 5:04 am

Yes, agree sometimes life moves so’s easy to forget what’s important…’s free to give and to receive… more love in the world is what’s needed.

maria anne
    February 13, 2014 at 5:10 am

i’m obsessed with this american life, i listen to multiple episodes a day when i’m at work. it’s my favorite thing.
    (favorite episode is probably switched at birth, sooo good!)

maria anne

February 13, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Switched at Birth was so good! I had it on my mind for days after listening! Have you heard Dr. Gilmore Mr. Hyde? Really good one too!

Twirly Skirt
    February 13, 2014 at 5:36 am

This is such an adorable post! I love this holiday so much. Happy Valentine’s Day, Cara! xo

February 13, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Same to you gorgeous!

Emerald Earrings
    February 13, 2014 at 5:56 am

So sweet! I actually hate cream cheese too, and yet my amazing husband married me anyways. A testimony for true love 🙂

February 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm

haha yes he must love you very much! <3

Emerald Earrings
    February 13, 2014 at 5:57 am

p.s. I’d love for you to check out my Valentine’s Day outfit post yesterday… 🙂
    Happy Valentine’s Day to all!

February 13, 2014 at 6:43 am

I love love too 😉 I’d love to hear about your wedding, have you ever written a post about it? I really want to see pictures!!!

Kayla @ Mississippi Mrs.
    February 13, 2014 at 7:12 am

I’m a new follower and so glad I’ve found your blog. Love this post, girly!

February 13, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Thank you! So glad you found it too!

Rachel P.
    February 13, 2014 at 7:18 am

I love this post! And I totally agree about the heartrending romance of breakups- so sad and obviously not a fun time, but in the context of a movie or story.. that’s what really moves you deeply, the extreme capacity of the human heart to love so deeply and long for lost love! Anybody who has suffered through a breakup with a great love and then survived to tell the tale will always know they were capable of feeling that, and that should actually come as a great reassurance that your heart was open enough to allow it to happen. The trick is keeping it open so the right person can still enter your life, if they haven’t already 🙂 anyhow- I love valentines day and I love this post!

February 13, 2014 at 9:10 pm

So true you out my thoughts to words perfectly! Happy Valentines Rachel!

Beth and Beauty
    February 13, 2014 at 8:17 am

Happy Valentines Day!!

February 13, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Thank you! Happy V Day to you too!

February 13, 2014 at 8:27 am

I love your post, but I disagree about the romance of a breakup. I went through a very painful divorce in my early 20s. I’m LDS like you. We were married in the temple when I found out my husband had a girlfriend and baby on the way… anyway, after going through that pain, I met and fell deeply in love with a man who I believed (rightfully so, since he told me) would be my husband. My young heart was thrilled that he was “in his 30s” and “so mature.” Abruptly, without any warning, he dumped me in an E-mail, knowing full well the vulnerabilities of my heart. His reasons where so very mean.

This left me devastated for the next four years. I sought medical attention for antidepressants. I was in the middle of nursing school and in my mental anguish, I literally forgot that I had exams and failed to attend them. As a pre-med student, my once 3.85 science GPA was about to get squashed by my failing of all of my classes. My physician had to write my school a letter, requesting that I be granted a withdrawal from the semester without penalty.

Desperate to feel happy, I then changed schools and majors. The medication gave me the side effect of memory loss so much of those 4 years are a complete blur to me. I engaged in very risky behavior and at one point, suffered a rare allergic reaction to my pills, which put me in the hospital and nearly killed me. This whole experience changed the course of my life and future career forever.

Years later, I met and married the best man who has ever walked this planet. With a past similar to mine, he was able to see my emotional walls and lovingly wait while they slowly came down. We’ve been married for 6 years now and are more in love today than we have ever been.

Despite my happy marriage now (9 years after the second breakup), I am still haunted by the past. Genetically predisposed to depression, those breakups and the medication I took permanently altered my brain chemistry and now that my life is supposedly happy, I am entirely unable to enjoy it as I now suffer from treatment resistant major depressive disorder and anxiety.

I don’t mean to rain on your happy Valentine’s Day parade, but I cannot sit idly by and agree that breakups are romantic. They aren’t. Maybe they’re necessary in some cases, but oftentimes they are cruel and hurtful.

Or maybe I missed your point completely and am making a huge jerk out of myself.

February 13, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I agree with you. Break ups are not romantic. How can someone’s complete devistation and pain be “romantic”? Sure, those scenes in movies are powerful and touch us deeply, but that’s not romance. That’s empathy. Maybe you think this way because you’ve found your true love? As a 32 year old woman still searching for my “one”, break ups are just reminders that the search is still on for something that I may never find.

February 13, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I am so sorry if what I said was insensitive. I think I mean that some of the most romantic songs and movies do have breakups in them as did my love story so I am truly biased. I’m very sorry for what you both have been through. You are right, breakups can be cruel and devastating and not romantic at all.

February 13, 2014 at 8:34 am

Oh, “The Fault in Our Stars”, I have never cried so much reading a book, only to want to read it and cry again and again. Loved that book!! Have you read “If I Stay”? Another wonderfully perfect love story. Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 13, 2014 at 9:24 am

I went back and re-read your break up/make up story. It’s beautiful. It gives me hope and I wish you nothing but happiness. You’re a beautiful person, both inside and out. Your personality really shines through in your posts about your personal life (which are btw, my favorite). Happy Valentine’s Day, Cara!

February 13, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hi! I watched your tutorial and love the look but it cut off before you got to the products you used. I am mainly looking for your eye shadows. I have brown eyes and find it so hard to find a brown that is not muddy and mutes my eyes (instead of makes them shine). Would love your recommendations on great shimmery and matte browns to use. Thanks!!

February 13, 2014 at 11:21 am

Loved that book! Not sure I can watch the movie, although it looks like they did awesome. Hits Too close to home. Happy Valentine’s Day!!

February 13, 2014 at 11:57 am

Curious if you have ever used LiLash or LiBrow and what you thought of it?

February 13, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Do you have have an Instagram or Pinterest page? 🙂

February 13, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I wish I could read The Fault in Our Stars all over again too. I have a friend who is reading it and I ask her everyday if she finished it so we can talk about it. So excited for the movie but bummed that we have to wait until June!!

Vera Sawicki
    February 13, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Such a sweet sweet post.

February 13, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I LOVE “The Fault In Our Stars” movie trailer!! I’ve probably watched it 100 times and cried each time!! So good! <3

February 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I love that first shirt, SO pretty!

February 13, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I am so in love with your blog, and with you! You are so talented! I have learned so many great things from you! I’ve never commented cause I always assumed you get so many comments that it would be just ‘one more comment’ but tonight I just couldn’t resist! 🙂 I read that you worked for sandy at Merle Norman! I loooove sandy! She’s done my eyebrows for years! What a gal, right? I’m going to get brave and submit an email for your makeover Monday selections….. I want one sooooo bad! Haha! I’ve been dreaming about it forever. Thanks for all the great posts! You truly are beautiful inside and out-I love the way your personality shines through your words. You’re a great writer. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this blog. xoxo

Kellie The Shoe Diva
    February 14, 2014 at 6:23 am

On what you said about breakups… I have to agree that there are those that are heartbreakingly romantic. I mean, we have to admit, heartbreak and hopelessness has always been a favorite topic of poets and writers. Of course there are those that are just plainly horrible. Anyway, I looked up the book and I might just pick it up the next time I dropped by the bookstore (hopefully before the book comes out).

February 14, 2014 at 8:45 am

I just listened the breakup, it was heartbreaking and hilarious, thank you! I’m in the middle of separating with my boyfriend for five years, this brought a little perspective. Maybe. Love your blog, keep it up!! Btw, I live in Finland but I so want to see you for a makeover when I come to Vegas next time!!!

February 15, 2014 at 2:09 am

I’m really looking forward to see ‘The fault in our stars’ movie, I absolutely loved the book, too! There is something beautiful about sad love stories…

February 15, 2014 at 2:18 am

Hey lady (again)! Hope you had an awesome Valentines! I have a question that is totally not related to this post, so I apologize that’s sort of random and not in keeping. Have you ever tried oil pulling? I was planning on getting some coconut oil and starting to try to it today, but wondered if you’d ever tried it and what your thoughts were? I hear it has serious benefits for mouth health, and even over all body health. Just curious. Thanks in advance if you get a chance to read this! I know you’re busy.

Lauren Sanders
    February 15, 2014 at 6:12 am

The Break Up is also one of my all time favorite TAL episodes. It’s a great first one to recommend for a new TAL listener.

And don’t even get me started on my love for The Fault In Our Stars. Can’t wait for the movie to come out! I live in Indianapolis, and I had a total fangirl moment last week as I drove past the area where Hazel lives and the Speedway gas station at 86th and Ditch.

February 15, 2014 at 11:29 am

Thank you so much Cara for posting the cheesecake strawberry recipe! I made them yesterday for my husband, who does not care for cheesecake (I don’t know why the heck I thought I would change his mind on Valentines Day). But he loved them. So delish! Just enough sweetness to the tartness of the strawberries.

I hope you and your husband had a wonderful Valentines day together!

February 16, 2014 at 7:20 am

So off topic here. I heard there is a new WEN dupe. The Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner. Have you tried it?

February 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Hi Cara! Love your blog; thank you for being so talented and sharing them with us! I’m in the same boat as Tasha up in comment 15 and would love a list of the eye products as well. I hope you get this and can help us dark brown eyes girls out!

Cathy B. (@fulltimemamom)
    February 18, 2014 at 6:53 am

Thank you for recommending The Fault in Our Stars. I read it on Sunday, it was so good! 🙂

live love dream » 3 favorietenlive love dream
    February 23, 2014 at 1:01 am

[…] […]

Air Jordan Pas Cher
    August 28, 2014 at 11:21 pm

J’ai ouvert la porte, il a gardé vers vos bras, et fondit en larmes. Bien que votre corps est froid, mais je pense qu’il est très chaleureux et confortable.

lunette de soleil ray ban
    August 28, 2014 at 11:21 pm

AKG est né dans la ville autrichienne de la musique du monde, mais aussi l’une des quatre grandes marques de casque sur le marché du casque haut de gamme par les audiophiles amour. Style de son AKG axée sur le neutre, naturellement, avec l’industrie dans les aspects vocaux classiques meilleurs réalisations, ses produits par respectés musiciens vétérans de l’industrie, classique sévit AKG K702.