My Favorites Popular

Aging

Back when we did the survey a few weeks ago I noticed that a lot of what was brought up was aging.
I totally get that because as women age we go through so many changes and it makes sense to me that our beauty routines should change as well. We want to look our best and be our healthiest. That’s a good thing and I love finding new ways of doing that!
Although, there is something I wanted to talk about because it’s something I encounter a lot and something I have to remind myself (and my mom) sometimes as well.

Age and beauty are not mutually exclusive.
In fact, I believe in most ways they go hand in hand.
Looking younger is not necessarily looking more beautiful.
If you have a beautiful heart and if you live a beautiful life age does not detract from your beauty.
It adds to it.

I have proof.

Mother Teresa:

wonderful

Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.

If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it.

Mother Teresa

Audrey Hepburn:

audrey-hepburn

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

There is more to sex appeal than just measurements. I don’t need a bedroom to prove my womanliness. I can convey just as much sex appeal, picking apples off a tree or standing in the rain.

It’s that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second. This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up. Others matter more than you do, so ‘don’t fuss, dear; get on with it.’

Audrey Hepburn, UNICEF ambassador in Ethiopia

When you look at these photos do you think “gosh she would be so much more beautiful if she didn’t have those wrinkles.”?
Of course you don’t.
Because when you look at those photos you see two women who couldn’t possibly be more beautiful.

None of us will look like we’re 20 when we’re 60 but who would want to?
There is no cream for kindness, love, life experience and wisdom.
It is a beauty that cannot be born in or handed to you, it must be earned.
And when it is, it should be something you are truly proud of.

signature

127 Comments

Shraddha
    February 3, 2014 at 4:27 am

Beautiful post, Cara. A good reminder for all of us.

Lisa Reischman
    February 3, 2014 at 4:29 am

Dear Cara,
    Your words are so true! But those if us that are already there also already know that! We have earned our wrinkles. While there will always be those that need to cut or inject their wrinkles away, there is also a fair number of us that just want to look our best with what we have. We are not trying to look 20. We are the ones wanting a few “classes” on everyday beauty. We are feeling left out! We are still here!

Love your blog and love you!
    Lisa

Lisa
      February 3, 2014 at 5:53 am

Ps, I guess I feel like I’m being told inner beauty is all I have left. And yes, it is very important! Maybe all important. But I still like a little shellac on the shell to my soul.

Cara
        February 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

Trust me I don’t think that inner beauty is all you have left! That is my point! Beauty is more than just youth. I LOVE shellac for the soul too! haha I love beauty products and techniques, I just like to keep them in perspective, for myself as much as for anyone else. They are so much fun and can add to our happiness and confidence but they aren’t required for being beautiful.

Twirly Skirt
      February 3, 2014 at 7:42 am

Lisa, I completely agree with everything you said! I am in my mid 40’s and my friends recently convinced me to start a beauty related blog and YouTube Channel because there aren’t many people in those genres talking about beauty for women over 40. I LOVE getting beauty tips from Cara (you’re the BEST, Cara!) and other young bloggers but things definitely change as we get older and certain things must be handled differently as we age. What I am saying is, I hear you and yes, we are still here! I love your line, “I still like a little shellac on the shell to my soul”! That’s brillant! My blog and channel are brand new so I don’t have much posted yet but I plan to focus on the concepts you are talking about here. I would love it if you would check it out and give me your feedback and ideas. So happy to read your thoughts here and know that I’m not alone! xo http://twirlyskirt.com/

Diana in Vegas
      February 3, 2014 at 7:59 am

Exactly, Lisa! I turn 50 this year and I’m not trying to look like I’m 20, but want to look my best.

Maryanne
    February 3, 2014 at 4:49 am

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing it.

Cara
      February 3, 2014 at 10:39 am

Thank you! <3

PamJ
    February 3, 2014 at 4:51 am

Thanks for reminding me that inner beauty counts. But I’m 47, and you are a 20 something with a perfect figure (which I never had), perfect hair, and a pretty gorgeous face. You have it all. And while I can see your heart is in the right place, you won’t understand the mellowing & loss of those things for about 20 years.
    PamJ

Cara
      February 3, 2014 at 10:48 am

Thank you for your sweet words Pam. I hope I don’t come off as though I know what it feels like to be in my late 40’s because I don’t. I don’t have that life experience or wisdom yet! But I do know many women who are, some of which do not believe they are as beautiful now as they once were and I completely disagree. I think they are more beautiful at their age than they ever have been. I am just wanting to share my perspective on that:)

Joanne O.
    February 3, 2014 at 5:02 am

Thanks, Cara. I’ll be turning 60 in a few short weeks–where did the time go! While I don’t look like Christie Brinkley (no cosmetic work, really?), I also don’t have her resources. What I do have are three beautiful sons, friends who love me, and the willingness to help as many people (and animals) as I can as often as I can. I don’t have to turn men’s heads anymore–I’m over that. I just want to be the best mother and friend that I can be. THAT makes me feel beautiful.

Love your blog.

Michelle
    February 3, 2014 at 5:05 am

Lovely. Whenever I start to wish my wrinkles away, I remember how beautiful my grandma was and how proud I was of her graceful aging.

[email protected]
    February 3, 2014 at 5:08 am

I am copying those quotes and putting them on my mirror for me see every morning. Thank you Cara

Vanessa
    February 3, 2014 at 5:09 am

Beautiful and touching, thank you for your encouragement.

Jamie Clanin
    February 3, 2014 at 5:15 am

I adore this post. I am only slightly over 30, but I am already falling prey to the media and cosmetics industry. Luckily, I’m also a pretty strong-willed individual and kind of look forward to watching myself age. I’m not saying I’ll be happy when the crows feet stick around once i stop smiling, but i can definitely think of worse things that could happen. And I’m proud off my life and experience, so why shouldn’t I welcome a little proof? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Steph
    February 3, 2014 at 5:17 am

You inspire. Beautiful words. Thank you

bethinthecity
    February 3, 2014 at 5:25 am

Excellent! Thank you so much!

Alyssa
    February 3, 2014 at 5:25 am

Beautiful post Cara! A classy lady writing about two classy ladies. This is a great message for all women to hear.

Annette Eberhardt
    February 3, 2014 at 5:31 am

Cara! I loved your post today! Thank you!

Gina
    February 3, 2014 at 5:32 am

Great words to live by. YOU MADE MY DAY 🙂

Mildred
    February 3, 2014 at 5:39 am

Wow. That was beautiful. Thank you

Lori
    February 3, 2014 at 5:41 am

‘there is no cream for kindness, love, life, experience and wisdom’
    Love that Cara! What you do help with however is making the best of what we have at ANY age and that is all we could wish for. You also encourage us to not feel guilty about wanting to look and feel our best and that is important for women to support each other on!!!XX

Margaret
    February 3, 2014 at 5:50 am

This is wonderful! Thank you!

Kristina Galley
    February 3, 2014 at 5:50 am

This is beautiful, thank you for being so awesome and reminding us all that love and kindness matter most!

Linda W.
    February 3, 2014 at 5:53 am

Thank you, Cara… I will be turning 50 this year… my 5 sons are all almost grown and I am looking forward to really reconnecting with the things I set aside to focus on raising my family. That includes having more one-on-one time with my awesome hubby. I see the aging process taking a hold of me, though, and it saddens me a little bit that I don’t look as young as I feel anymore. I came across your blog and read it because I think we can all do a few things to compliment our outward appearance without going to a lot of expense or bother. I may not buy hair extensions, or my body type may not look good in the clothes that you feature, but I always take away something here that helps me look (and feel) my best. I’m thankful for you younger people…. and for you sharing your new ideas with us. I believe learning something new keeps us young…so I am always searching for ways to be inspired and to live a happier life. These two women are favorites of mine…thank you for reminding me how beautiful they truly are. xoxo

Cara
      February 3, 2014 at 12:14 pm

WOW 5 sons! What a ride that must have been (and still is:) I am so excited for you in your new time in life with just the two love birds at home! Thank you for coming to the blog, I have much more to learn from you and women like you than you could ever have to learn from me!

Jean Michel
    February 3, 2014 at 5:53 am

You are amazing! I am so glad I found you. A beauty expert who knows what real beauty is and has fun with the rest of it. My kind of girl:)!!!

Carolyn Rubin
    February 3, 2014 at 5:56 am

What a beautiful post. Well said Cara.

Donna C.
    February 3, 2014 at 6:00 am

When I saw the heading of this posting I thought great—Cara’s going to give us some new anti aging tips. But you gave us much more to ponder in this posting. Thanks Cara! It makes this 57 year old grandma feel a lot better about all her wrinkles.

Sarah
    February 3, 2014 at 6:10 am

Very well said! Thank you for that reminder.

Johnna
    February 3, 2014 at 6:21 am

Thank you, Cara, for your honesty and your vulnerability. The reminder that beauty “does not come from outward appearance, but from a quiet, gentle spirit” is something we all need on a regular basis. I just love following your blog. Keep up the great work!

Debbie
    February 3, 2014 at 6:23 am

Your post is a wonderful reminder on what is truly important. It is beautiful……..and so are YOU!

Cynthia B
    February 3, 2014 at 6:24 am

So True, I never thought of it that way! Thank you.

Beth and Beauty
    February 3, 2014 at 6:26 am

Thank you so much Cara! You could not be more right! I think sometimes we (speaking for myself) get so got up in trying to stay looking young that we forget what the true virtues of beauty are. Love for others. Thanks for the reminder.

Annie @ The Littlest Sparrow
    February 3, 2014 at 6:27 am

BEAUTIFUL ENTRY! <3 I hope to age just as gracefully, and be beautiful both inside and out 🙂

Cayde
    February 3, 2014 at 6:35 am

Hands down. My favorite post ever. thank you for the reminder. >

Heather Lane
    February 3, 2014 at 6:42 am

This is a really beautiful post. As I get older I find myself worrying about grey hair, wrinkles and things. They are going to happen and you just need to figure it out and be who you are meant to be. I have finally realized, yes, I don’t look like I did when I was 18-20, but I kind of like how I look a little bit more now. I am smarter, more experienced, wiser and hopefully a bit more graceful.

Women truly are beautiful when they are old. Just keep smiling and loving and everything will go hand in hand. 🙂 Thanks for the reminder. 🙂

anber rhoden
    February 3, 2014 at 6:59 am

Theres so much truth to your beautifully written words. Some of the most beautiful women i know, their beauty shines from the inside out.

Jennifer
    February 3, 2014 at 7:28 am

That was really nice. I am still hopeing for some videos for making the best of aging skin. Dryness, blotchy, age spots & under eye darkness seem to be a daily struggle. Any help would be appreciated.

Twirly Skirt
      February 3, 2014 at 8:05 am

Hi Jennifer! I am in my mid 40s and I spend a lot of time discovering new ways combat (and conceal) aging skin. I deal with the same struggles that you mentioned. My friends recently convinced me to start a new blog and YouTube channel that focuses on beauty topics for mature skin. I don’t have much posted yet but I am looking forward to sharing what I have learned, with others like myself. I didn’t think there were many others like me who were searching for this type of information online but I am happy to learn that there are a lot more of us than I thought! I am writing down the daily struggles you mentioned on my list of topics to cover. I would love to hear any other input you might have. Learning from each other is the best way! You can find me by clicking my name above. Just like Cara said, we can be beautiful at any age! 🙂

Anna Holloway
    February 3, 2014 at 7:30 am

That was such a beautiful post! I hope to age as gracefully as Audrey.

Laurence King
    February 3, 2014 at 7:46 am

Very beautifully put! Thank you, Cara!

Julianne
    February 3, 2014 at 7:46 am

This is my most favorite post to date. Thank you for this very special reminder!

andrea
    February 3, 2014 at 7:51 am

Perfect.

Bridget
    February 3, 2014 at 7:54 am

This is a very sweet post. Thank you!

Kristan @ Lavender & Light
    February 3, 2014 at 7:59 am

“There is no cream for kindness, love, life experience and wisdom.” This couldn’t have been said better. Thank you!

Mabelle
    February 3, 2014 at 8:03 am

Great message. Thanks for the reminders.

LisaN
    February 3, 2014 at 8:08 am

Good reminder. I wear glasses so I need my wee mirror more to see my eyebrows. And yet, if I use that mirror to look at my skin, I’m horrified. 🙂 I’m in my 3/4 thirties *snickers*, and I’m peri menopausal. My body is changing, my skin is changing, and my hair is going white (I even have one down there. The things your mom never told you…). You need a good sense of humour at this point. I agree with one of the first ladies, I need a little shellack. (Or however you spell that.)

Kelly
    February 3, 2014 at 8:24 am

So are you posting real tips for those of us over 40 anytime soon? That is what I could really use help with.

Jen
    February 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

Beautiful post. I copied the last few sentences into my notes on my phone for future reference 🙂

Heidi G
    February 3, 2014 at 8:43 am

What a beautiful post. Thank you for the perspective!

Carol
    February 3, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thank you for a lovely post. And did you notice that Audrey didn’t have THOSE LIPS or THAT SHINY FOREHEAD? She looked real. And beautiful.

Natalie
    February 3, 2014 at 9:04 am

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Lynda Olsen
    February 3, 2014 at 9:11 am

I am not looking to appear twenty. I have a beautiful spirit,as am sure readers of all have ,or not,but I’m not really interested in what you think of my higher self. I have got that covered thank you. I did buy your foundation and I am quite happy with the product I also took the time to let you know what my concerns were with make up and aging. I was pleased to see I’m not the only one. Now, if the best make up advice you can give me regarding aging is, “I should concentrate on my insides”,really? Is that my best hope? I don’t see you telling other generations that if they want to look great on date night they should go volunteer at the local soup kitchen. I think your point is a given. Let’s just assume we are all really great women! Now, tell me some good tricks for make up,and what looks good around my crows feet. Do you have a mom or aunt,what do you suggest for them? You want to look like a Victoria Secret model,but I should look like mother Teresa?

Lisa
      February 3, 2014 at 10:13 am

Hear! Hear!

We are women, hear us roar! We may be old and we may snore! But we’ve raised our kids and worked for years, had our joys and shed our tears. Our skin may have wrinkles, but we don’t care. We’ll slap on some makeup and dye our hair! We know our beauty, we know our worth and believe it or not, most of us wouldn’t be 20 again for anything on earth!

Dianne
      February 3, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Cara, I’m not as blunt as Lynda, but I can identify with her feelings. The sentiment in your blog was inspiring, but we were expecting makeup tips. It almost feels like you are avoiding older women.

Jenna
        February 5, 2014 at 8:31 pm

“We were expecting makeup tips.” I would think that women who identify themselves as being more mature in age would be less self-entitled. Again, Cara is offering this information free of charge and owes nobody anything. The words “beggars can’t be choosers” comes to mind. If you aren’t happy with what you read on Cara’s blog for free, maybe you should go pay someone to teach you how to wear your makeup.

Sorry, that’s just how I see it.

gingererin
      February 4, 2014 at 2:08 am

She’s done makeover Mondays on her mother and mother-in-law before, and other older women.. and she’s also done inspirational posts for people of ALL ages, as well. I’m 34, and I can relate to this post. I think the point is regardless of age, finding an inner beauty and being HAPPY, go a very long way. Other people pick up on kindness, they are drawn to it, it IS beautiful because it shows up on the outside.

Just because this was the first post you ever saw for older women on here, doesn’t mean it’s the first she’s done, OR the last she’ll ever do, so cut her some slack or maybe stop being so impatient.

I’m sorry, I already made a comment about someone else being so critical, but this post was unbelievably rude. Cara is in her 20’s, if you don’t find her relatable, find an age appropriate blog somewhere else? Cara isn’t Mother Theresa’s age, but apparently she took something from Mother Theresa’s teachings that you didn’t. I’m sure when she is, she will be posting about things she’s learned at that point. At least I hope she will, and that she hasn’t been deterred by rude opinions to stop doing what she loves and is so good at, at that point.

Kindness goes a long way, and just because you don’t agree with everything a person says doesn’t mean you have to be nearly hateful about it. There is a way to disagree without making a person feel 2 inches tall.

gingererin
        February 4, 2014 at 2:15 am

Also, I know I’m tired because I keep putting an “h” in Mother Teresa’s name, and I am 32. But everything else I said is 100% true! Haha

Jenna
      February 5, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Your comment is witty, but you sound awfully self-entitled. “I want free makeup tips! Give them to me NOW or I’m going to throw a temper tantrum on your blog!” Yikes! It is unbecoming of your “beautiful spirit” to speak so harshly to someone who is just maintaining a website free-of-charge to you. Cara owes you nothing!

Marcia Clark
      February 6, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Lynda, I hate to say this, but no amount of makeup tips can make up for the spirit you displayed against Cara on this blog. And your comments just made her post that much more important, because you can’t cover up meanness with makeup. It will never work, so maybe you need to read the post again and take it more to heart, then worry about where you get your make up tips.

Andrea K.
      February 7, 2014 at 7:17 am

Lynda, your comments here really refute your statement that you have a beautiful spirit. It actually sounds quite hateful. While I don’t consider “concentrating on your insides” a beauty tip in the literal sense, it may be something you should spend some time on. This particular post highlighted the internal beauty of two extraordinary women. Where can fault be found in that? I sincerely empathize with whatever insecurities you may have to cause such a mean spirited response. As women, regardless of age, we all experience self-doubt and low self-esteem at some point in our lives….at least I certainly have. As a result of experiencing those insecurities I see the great need for women to band together as a support system…because we’ve all been there. Let’s not demean and belittle. We, as women, are the only ones that know the scrutiny that society places on our beauty. As such, shouldn’t we be the ones that have our sisters’ backs? I really feel like that is the purpose of Cara’s blog.

Susan
      May 27, 2015 at 12:01 am

I agree completely, Lynda, especially having just learned that Cara has had undereye injections to combat bags. Which is ironic, because I came to this site today because I saw a link to her post on how to best use makeup to make the bags go away!

Cara, did your own tips not work well enough for you?

Seriously – numerous studies have shown that more attractive women receive more positive attention from sales clerks, receive more job offers, higher salaries, and are taken more seriously, among many other benefits, than quirky or plain or ugly women. Please don’t trivialise older women’s requests for help in looking as attractive as we can; doing so displays a lack of caring empathy for those less fortunate than you. (I speak here not just to Cara, but to all the commenters who have piled on against the few older women who have dared to complain about how this post title was misleading, and who had hoped for actual tips.)

I’m 52. I used to be conventionally attractive in my 20s and 30s, and in my 40s my cheeks started to sag and my eyelids are crepey. Any suggestions?

Jody DeFraties-Harvill
    February 3, 2014 at 9:55 am

This is exactly why I read your blog dear Cara! You keep it real & from the heart!

Mariama
    February 3, 2014 at 10:03 am

Such a beautiful post! When someone is kind, has a honest heart and holds all those those attributes that describe a good person beauty radiates from them. Regardless of age, ethnicity or economic status. Love, love, love this!

Maria
    February 3, 2014 at 10:04 am

I was so happy to read your post today! We all want to look our best, but true beauty comes from the heart. Maybe someday we can all be happy that we are privileged to get old and be around to bless others with our kindness and love. In the end, that’s all that matters. Thanks, Cara!

Laura Wozniak
    February 3, 2014 at 10:12 am

Cara, that was the most beautiful post. This made my day.
    Laura

Erica
    February 3, 2014 at 10:24 am

I absolutely love this post. It brings so much confidence and strength to your readers, and helps us take a step back from everything and realize true beauty in the midst of all the hype of not being happy with ourselves. I love your blog, it has brought me a lot of happiness and helped me to be more confident and comfortable just being myself.
    Thanks for your dedication 🙂

Maria
    February 3, 2014 at 11:00 am

Well done. Thank you. As a 44 year old woman I can appreciate everything you said.

katieanneleask
    February 3, 2014 at 11:18 am

Beautiful beautiful beautiful article.

Cris
    February 3, 2014 at 11:21 am

Cara, you are such a sweetheart! This post was so touching, it gave me goosebumps. Thank you for being an inspiration to women of all ages.

Betty
    February 3, 2014 at 11:30 am

What a great reminder. Filling up your heart with love for others is the best beauty trick that exists, it radiates light from you that no curling or flat iron can help you do. THANKS!!!

Beth
    February 3, 2014 at 11:47 am

I LOVE your blog, adore it. Something about this post so soon after admitting to getting injections under your eyes seems really off to me. Love the encouragement (you are the best at that!) but it’s confusing to hear “wrinkles/aging are cool ps injections are cool too”. Does that make sense? PS Not judging, I might (probably will!) end up doing something like that eventually too 🙂

Cara
      February 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I’m so glad you brought this up because this is exactly my point! I think our culture has a very narrow view sometimes of what constitutes inner beauty AND outer beauty. I think that you can have a face full of injections and still be beautiful on the inside. I also think you can wear no makeup whatsoever and still be less than beautiful on the inside. I love my filler! I think anyone else who wants to get it should! But I don’t think it is a requirement for true beauty it’s just a fun addition to it. I would say the same for any other beauty product! I really do think wrinkles and aging are cool AND injections are cool too! I think freckles are adorable and I love freckle free skin as well. I love hooded eyes and I love prominent eyes. We would be so boring if we were all the same and made the same choices. But the bottom line is how we feel about ourselves and how we treat others, You know what I mean?

gingererin
        February 4, 2014 at 1:27 am

I think that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but Cara is human. We’re all human, and the only person I can really speak for is myself. But, I don’t think there is anything wrong with a woman getting injections in her face, because at the end of the day, we ALL have insecurities. Beauty is Cara’s business. She didn’t have to tell us she got injections.

We could have just continued to look at her like we do the Hollywood starlets and envied her because our skin never looks as good. It was a personal choice for her, and she was being 100% honest when she told us about it.

I’ve followed her for a few years now, and she’s always been the same sweet, caring person she is now. Even before her career took off and she did hair tutorials in her kitchen. She was awesome then, and she’s awesome now. I am a bit of a mama bear, in personality, so definitely not trying to be rude or tell someone they can’t have an opinion, but I think people should ease up on her about the injections. She did make it public knowledge, but she clearly doesn’t judge us, she tries to HELP us. We could try to support her, when *gasp* she reveals to us that she, too, is only human.

Jenna
          February 5, 2014 at 8:34 pm

They should also ease up on her for not posting makeup tips customized to fit their particular situation. 😉

• gingererin
            February 5, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Exactly! Her blog is extensive, go back and read through from the beginning, or however far back you can go, because she revised her site at sometime. Not sure exactly how far back is available, but if you check, you will see that she’s got tons of topics for tons of different skin types/ages/etc. And if she only wanted to sit there all day long and talk about what applies to her, she could. It’s HER blog. I get that she’s now in the business of selling her own products, and that might not help her sell her makeup, but before she had makeup she was as sweet and thoughtful as she is now.

Breaks my heart a little to see how hard she’s worked, and how far she’s come, to have people say some of the things they say, but.. that’s people, unfortunately. If it were a perfect world, I guess we wouldn’t need makeup lol. Sorry, I have to be lame sometimes. It’s a requirement.

Jade Jennifer
    February 3, 2014 at 12:24 pm

how inspiring! 🙂

Sheila T Scott
    February 3, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Very we’ll put, Cara! At 66 young, your words are inspiring!!

Rachel @ My Adventures as a RInderknecht
    February 3, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Love this post! So very true! 🙂

Rupa
    February 3, 2014 at 1:06 pm

BEAUTIFUL POST!!!

Shelby osmond
    February 3, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I love you cats Cara. Your so real.

Mik
    February 3, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Ermergerd thank you for this Cara!! Loved this! And ironically was thinking about this topic today. I’m in my mid 30’s now. And I’m determined to age gracefully, and not obsessively. I don’t want to be obsessed with wrinkles and all that jazz. I take care of my skin, and my body, but I don’t want to wish I was still 20 every year that goes by! Thank for this post! How absolutely wonderful!! You don’t have to be 20 and perky to be stunning and beautiful. Wish more people could see that. You’re helping that happen. 🙂

Shelley
    February 3, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Hello Cara
    I appreciated your perspective on inner beauty as we age. I am 55 and work with professionals getting their training that are in their late 20’s. On the flip side most of the clients are 60-85. It is interesting that both groups comment on aging. And the older group can be just as critical as the younger group.
    I would like to age gracefully and when I filled out the survey I was hoping for more makeovers like your mom’s. In that post you brought out the importance of inner beauty and then showed how to get the most of the outer beauty.
    Thank you for your beautiful blog.

Jodie Tighe
    February 3, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Thank you, Cara. Kindness is the most beautiful act of all.
    Jodie

Jodie Tighe
    February 3, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Forgot to mention, Bobbi Brown’s book, Beauty Evolution, has tons of wonderful photos of real woman, not celebrities, at different ages up to 102! (I don’t know Bobbi Brown; I just like the book, and am waiting for YOU to write one, Cara!)

Niki
    February 3, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Amen. Beauty is seen not only in the esthetic but also in what motivates a person, how they feel about themselves, how they enjoy life and others. That is an infectious beauty.

Nadjia Kitchen
    February 3, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Very wise Kara! Thanks for the reminder.

Mickey
    February 3, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I like your blog Twirly Skirt! I think it’s awesome that you can relate and are in a different age bracket. There is something for everyone 🙂

Twirly Skirt
      February 3, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Aww…thank you so much, Mickey. You don’t know how much you just brightened my day! I feel absolutely awful about going overboard with my comments here earlier. Amanda, I am grateful to you for pointing this out to me because now I realize how it seemed and I certainly won’t make the same mistake again. My intent was to connect with other people like me but I didn’t stop to think through that I was commenting on someone else’s blog, not to those people directly. I got overly excited when I realized there were other women like me out there in blog world and just started writing! This was only the second time I had ever commented on a blog post of any kind and my second week of blogging. I am still learning. I sent Cara an apology via email. I looked into deleting the my comments, but only she can do that. It is my hope that after reading my email she will understand that I didn’t mean to be rude. Thanks again to both of you!

Cara
        February 4, 2014 at 12:54 am

You weren’t rude at all:) Thank you for sharing your awesome blog! I love that you get excited about beauty! I don’t think there is any reason to delete your sweet comments unless you really want me to, then of course I will!

Twirly Skirt
          February 4, 2014 at 4:51 am

I am so happy you feel that way, Cara! I can’t thank you enough for your nice responses on my comments, email and blog post. It was so thoughtful of you to take time from your busy schedule to do that for me. You are truly special!!! I am so grateful for your kind words and encouragement. I appreciate it more than you can imagine! xoxo

Vanessa
    February 3, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Self confidence from knowing who you are – and why you exist – seem to me to be the essential ingredients of true beauty. I love your words “there is no cream for kindness, love, life experience and wisdom..” So true.
    Thanks for being a lovely example of authenticity, and honesty.

Lisa
    February 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Beautiful expression of words and pictures that encourage all of us to think about what really matters. This is one of the many reasons that I read your blogs!

Beatriz
    February 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Thank you for reminder! that´s all true, sometimes we forget that beauty is shown in a very different ways…

Jen
    February 3, 2014 at 5:02 pm

This post made me want to share a list of quotes I keep by my bedroom mirror. The following was written by Audrey Hepburn who was asked to share her “beauty tips.”
    For attractive lips speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes seek out the good in people. For a slim figure share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair let a child run his or her fingers through it every day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you’ll find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and one for helping others. The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mode, but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.
    Loved this post Cara, and love your blog!

Bernadette Niebuhr
    February 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm

“Well said”, said the women who just celebrated her 46th birthday…happy birthday to me!!

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I think it is all to common that we measure our self worth on our looks. We are so much more than our appearance.

“A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds.” Proverbs 31:10

“Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.” Proverbs 31:30

Blessings,
    Bernadette

[email protected]
    February 3, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Cara, you just made me cry. Such a beautiful message. I really “felt” it.
    xoxo

Dana
    February 3, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I usually don’t take the time to comment on posts, but this time I just had to. Your words couldn’t be more true. Thank you for reminding all of us that we need to stop trying so hard to be something or someone that we’re not. Accepting ourselves for who we are everyday at every age is what makes us beautiful. You are one smart and inspiring lady. So so glad that I found your blog. 🙂

Beth
    February 3, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Beautifully said! Thank you for posting!!

Kelly (@kellydonlin)
    February 3, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I agree, I look and them and see pure beauty!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Marie Hellrich
    February 3, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Lovely post! Inspiring! Thank you.

gingererin
    February 4, 2014 at 1:14 am

I love that you showcased these strong, beautiful women. Beauty is all about happiness, in my opinion. When you’re happy, generous, and kind to others.. even if your appearance isn’t what might be considered the “in” thing, people are drawn to you. All the money in the world can’t buy that. Fantastic post, and I wish ALL people could see that they have beauty in them, if they just took the time to see it in themselves. Thank you for the lovely post, Cara!

Kellie The Shoe Diva
    February 4, 2014 at 1:57 am

“There is no cream for kindness, love, life experience and wisdom.” Just. Beautiful. (and very true, as well)

Twirly Skirt
    February 4, 2014 at 4:49 am

tarheelgirl6
    February 4, 2014 at 6:43 am

Cara, I (like many women who’ve commented here) truly appreciate –and NEEDED–these words and reminders. For one who feels so young inside, it’s difficult when I look in the mirror and see this 46 year old staring back at me. However, I do love the wisdom that comes with age and I wouldn’t trade it for the world! Thank you for all that you do for women….both young and old! 😉

RetroRuby
    February 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Hi Cara,

A very thought provoking post. I guess I’m slightly confused though – surely this attitude doesn’t gel with getting injections for eyebags? Do you think it’s just easier to appreciate beauty in others when we’re all so harshly critical of ourselves especially when it comes to aging? Or are the two lines of thought not contradictory for you? I would be very interested to hear your opinion.

Jessica
    February 4, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Such a great post and completely true!! Thank you for sharing such beautiful examples

Nikki
    February 4, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I absolutely love this post and needed to hear it today. God bless you

Hailey @ Tasteful Cuisine
    February 5, 2014 at 7:28 pm

So true! Beautiful post, thanks for sharing. 🙂

Something Sparkly | Maskcara
    February 6, 2014 at 3:49 am

[…] also wanted to add a little to my post the other day about aging. Some comments were made that were very thoughtful and deserved a […]

» Thoughtful Thursday Kibby's Blended Life
    February 6, 2014 at 5:17 pm

[…] ♥ Aging –  What a lovely post by the lovely Cara of Maskcara.  I find beauty to be so much more also.   […]

Lili
    February 8, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I’ve never left a comment for you before, but I so loved this post, Kara, that I just had to thank you for a truly beautiful way to look at beauty. I’ve appreciated that you often feature older women as well as models and very young women. I’d love to see some more women of color too. Our cultural definition of beauty is so often warped and limiting. You have a wonderful platform from which to broaden our perspective, and I am grateful for the love and acceptance in this post. Brava!

laura
    February 25, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I love this girl, true to herself and REAL.

mybestfriedchicken
    March 14, 2014 at 7:58 am

You “hit the nail on the head” with this one Cara. It made the tears well up. Good stuff!!

Domestic Goddess
    March 29, 2014 at 5:49 am

Having a hard time lately with aging….Thank You. I really needed this 🙂 I think we all seem to forget about the other faces of beauty when looking in the mirror.

Heather Kaiser
    April 18, 2014 at 5:09 am

Speaking of aging, does anyone have any advice for getting rid of dark spots on the face? I’m not sure if it’s an age spot…….it’s only one spot on my cheek. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank so much!

Twirly Skirt
      April 19, 2014 at 10:49 am

There are prescription creams that you could get from your dermatologist but I haven’t had the best of luck with them. I had a spot removed from my cheek by my dermatologist by freezing it off. It was fast, easy and it didn’t come back or scar. They can also be removed by laser but that’s more expensive. I would say that consulting a dermatologist is your best bet because I really doubt anything over the counter will work. I feel your pain…I just got another one! I’m waiting until after summer to get it removed because it could scar if the new skin gets sun on it while it’s healing. The joys of aging, I tell ya! {Sigh}

Notes from the Weekend & A Few Lovely Links :: This is Glamorous
    May 12, 2014 at 4:41 am

[…] [bonappetit.com] * with all the talk about audrey hepburn lately, some lovely thoughts on aging [maskcara.com] * at the shops : this diamond bar neckalce & this pavé one * at home : kitchen islands […]

nancy
    June 20, 2014 at 11:45 am

I would love to see a post on over 50 make up tips…for example how do you do eyeliner on less than firm skin…it never looks straight!

Susan
      May 26, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Don’t be so greedy Nancy! GingerErin might come and snap your head off for being so mean to poor Cara, being demanding about wanting something so custom (because nobody else has an old body), and make you read the entire blog history to find the two times in the entire blog history she’s actually written about makeup tips for the ageing face.

Michelle Dastrup
    October 14, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I love the topic of aging. I work at a makeup store and I get asked questions about aging all the time. I love to help people feel their best, however, I think our individual views on aging are influenced greatly by todays culture.
    I love to look through out the history of our culture and see how people have aged. I love looking at my grandma, and realizing how gracefully she’s grown old. She has come to accept old age for what it is. Today, pop culture is always in our face because of social media. I think it has a negative effect a lot of the time on girls because they feel constant pressure to look their best. I also believe that there is a balance to all things. I love technology for reasons such as this blog. This blog help women feel inspired and beautiful. I feel that those things are important as long as we all remember what it means to contribute to society and grow old gracefully.

Vivian Makeup Artist Blog – Aging
    February 23, 2015 at 7:49 pm

[…] So back to aging. Last year I was prepping to teach a class to women who’s ages ranged from 21-99 and I wanted to have some good quotes. During my search I happened upon this post written by one of my favorite people, Cara. She said pretty much everything I was thinking, but better. You can read it here.  […]

Qamar
    December 22, 2016 at 5:00 am

The post of AGING win my heart. Because your article based on reality. Beautiful heart and positive thinking these are the two main important parts of life. I agree with your statement. old age not matters if we have a big heart and feeling for others. Thank you so much now I am satisfied. I read many posts but your’s is much inspiring.
    Regard: Qamar
    Thanks.

cartier bracelet réplique
    April 20, 2017 at 7:46 am

cartier bracelet réplique

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

copie montre calibre cartier
    June 19, 2017 at 9:38 am

copie montre calibre cartier

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for augusta precious metals

how much does replica rolex womens blue black watch
    July 2, 2017 at 4:55 pm

how much does replica rolex womens blue black watch

Как говорит один мой знакомый — “богословская байда”. Если один из супругов изменил, то второй, будучи с ним плотью единой, тоже изменил? Если один наркоту жрет, второй тоже наркоман? Нет уж, не надо перекладывать с больной головы на здоровую.