Before & Afters Makeup

Monday Makeover!

When I was a fifteen wearing anything on your lips that wasn’t Bonne Bell Smackers in Vanilla frosting  or mocha brown was pretty much social suicide. All gloss, all the time. Lipstick was pretty much unheard of.
I was always a little frustrated with that because it was SO limiting.
Nowadays it seems that the pendulum has swung to the other side of the spectrum. It is all about lipstick in all of its many colors.
Which, naturally, makes me sometimes miss the sheer gloss days.
When this beautiful high school Freshmen named Anna walked in I decided to show my age and go glossy on her.
Which actually looks pretty great when it isn’t paired with butterfly clips, a pair of Jncos jeans and some thicky flipflops.
I was also dying to uncover those freckles cause they are perfection.

beforeandafter

Isn’t she beautiful?

What I used:

First thing first I sprayed some Tomas Tanner on her face and chest, cause I really wanted to give her that sunkissed look.
Next I dusted some Bliss from the Stila In The Light Palette in her crease and blended it up toward her brow.
I lined her eyes (focusing mainly on the outer third) with Loreal Silkissime Liner
Filled her brows a bit with MAC Brun Eyeshadow  (they were pretty amazing to begin with so I didn’t do much!)
Next I blended in some IIID Foundation in Medium to HAC her face and dabbed some Dahlia into her cheeks and pretty in pearl illuminator on her brow bone and cheek bone.
To finish I lined her lips (and contoured her nose a bit more) with NYX Taupe Liner, then filled them with Illamasqua Gloss in Electrify

I already feel the spring fever coming on and this beachy soft makeup is not helping!
Hope you had a spectacular weekend!
signature

129 Comments

Kylie Storm Crichton
    January 20, 2014 at 4:35 am

I love this! The natural makeup and subtle contouring looks so gorgeous on her. Nice job 🙂

chelseajacobschelsea
    January 20, 2014 at 4:38 am

So pretty!

Joana
    January 20, 2014 at 4:40 am

Well-done, she looks stunning!

laura
    January 20, 2014 at 5:14 am

she looks absolutely gorgeous

Erin @ One Particular Kitchen
    January 20, 2014 at 5:18 am

Oh she is beautiful!!

Rhonds
    January 20, 2014 at 5:33 am

She looks even more beautiful! Love! Question… Do you not use any powder over the IIID foundation? I feel unfinished without it… Thanks!

January 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm

For some people yes! For me, since I have really dry skin I avoid powder as much as possible. If you prefer it that way, I am sure you’re right!

mikaleighlr
        January 29, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I use just a light touch of the laura mercier loose setting powder to lock it in, as my skin is a lot more oily, this helps to lock in the IIID foundation that i love so much! 🙂

Meri Waldron
    January 20, 2014 at 5:43 am

So pretty!

Tina A.
    January 20, 2014 at 5:48 am

I usually love your makeovers, but here I feel like her youthfulness has been taken away in the “after.” Her foundation and eyebrows look great in the second picture, but her blush, eyeshadow, and especially the gloss, make her look washed out and older, to me. She looks like she aged five years. 🙁

Jenny
      January 20, 2014 at 6:00 am

I have to agree with you here. I also love her makeovers but one of the first things that struck me here was how much older she looks in the “after” picture….and then how much she looks like Lindsay Lohan (not a good thing!) I’m still trying to figure out what is creating this effect but again, I LOVE Cara’s makeovers…keep ’em coming!

January 20, 2014 at 8:44 pm

its really interesting because in person she really didn’t look older in the after. Her skin was showing and she looked really vibrant and young. Her mom was thrilled with being able to see her freckles and the soft lip color and Anna loved it too. Then she came downstairs Nick said it was definitely one of his favorite makeovers I’ve done (in all fairness he’s a big fan of freckles and not a big fan of full coverage foundation so he might be biased toward the after) I can see what you guys are talking about in the photo. I think she looks stunning in both a but the after photo didn’t do her justice:) On a side note I think Lindsay Lohan is a beautiful girl! Recently she has had such a rough life that it’s taken it’s toll but before all of that, I thought she was very pretty. It’s funny how we sometimes associate a look with a personality.It goes to show how important inner beauty is!

Liz
          January 31, 2014 at 9:30 am

I think the reason she looks more mature is because as with freckles and a “tan” we look like we’ve lived! Her face is gorgeous but I definitely think she looks more natural and less “made up” in the after pic. She looks so full of life! I am a freckle girl so I love being able to see real skin 🙂

Great Job Cara!!!

Alice
        January 22, 2014 at 1:15 am

I think it may be the contouring under the cheeks.. a young face has a fullness to it that we lose as we age..and then try to replicate with skincare and makeup!

RamonaQ
      January 20, 2014 at 7:14 am

I am so happy to know that it is not just me.

She looks like her own mother in the after picture, to me.

It’s not that she’s not pretty, or that the makeup is bad. I can’t even put my finger on it, but I’m sitting here going O.o trying to figure it out. I think she looks 40 in the after. And I cannot figure out WHY it looks that way to me. It’s making me nuts.

I hope Cara is not offended. The is the absolute *only* makeover I’ve ever seen her do that I did not completely marvel over. She does remarkable work.

I do love that her freckles are visible in the after. I love everyone’s freckles but my own.

Dianne
        January 20, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I have to agree. I kept going back and forth trying to decide which was the before and which was the after. I like the way she brought her hair down on her forehead in the after, but other than that, I hate to say it, but I think I like the before better. I love Cara’s makeovers. This one just didn’t do it for me.

anais1028
        January 20, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Huh? I think she looks young and fresh in the second picture. In the first one, she looks too “done.”

Sarah
        January 21, 2014 at 11:30 am

40?!?? You have got to be kidding. I don’t think anyone else thinks that.

As a freshman in high school, you want to look older in a good way. I think Cara did a perfect job. Her makeup in the first one definitely says “high school” or even “teeny bopper” to me and I look at my old high school/middle school photos and think the same thing. I wasn’t blending anything and lines (lips/eyes) tended to be harsh. The makeover helps her look more mature, yes, but I’d go with 19 not 40.

Kayla
      January 20, 2014 at 8:40 am

I was 15 not too long ago and I would have given anything to not look 15. When you’re young, you want to look older. I agree that she looks older with this makeup, but my guess is she is thrilled to look more mature! I agree though that youthfulness is a good thing, and it won’t be too long before she is wishing she had that back. 🙂 I think it’s a great look though, and if that’s what the client wanted, then I’m sure her expectations were not only met but exceeded.

Alicia
      January 20, 2014 at 9:03 am

I agree completely. She looks so much older and less “fresh faced.” Also, I don’t know how her eyelashes look so amazing in the first pic and now you can barely see them? Not my favorite, even though she is still a very gorgeous girl either way.

Brittany
        January 20, 2014 at 11:17 am

I love the make-over but agree she does look older -not in a bad way. I think it is the less coverage and the fact that she is a little tanner in the second photo that makes her look older. I think we associate light even skin tone with youth and when she brought out her cute natural freckles we as people read that as older. Just a thought. Also I think the light pink lipstick made her appear younger as well.

Megan
      January 22, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I’ve noticed some people saying she looks better in the before but can’t figure out why. I think it’s because her eyelashes look longer and more prominent in the first photo. Was she wearing fake eyelashes?

Maddie
      January 23, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I’m sorry but I have to say I disagree with you 🙁 I think she looks absolutely gorgeous in the second picture. She looks a lot more youthful without all that makeup covering her face and hiding her natural beauty. I agree with you that her foundation looks great in the second picture. I think that’s really making her look a lot younger.

Niki Keij
    January 20, 2014 at 5:50 am

Wow! What a difference! I always look forward to the Monday makeover! It’s incredible how different people can look when their make-up is done right…. Good job, Cara! Your awesome!

Cara D
    January 20, 2014 at 5:53 am

Her natural skin is so gorgeous! So glad you let it show. Stunning.

January 20, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Thank you! I totally agree! She has beautiful skin and it deserves to be seen! haha

Allison
    January 20, 2014 at 5:54 am

Gorg! I have got to get myself some of that Tomas! I have the Sunlabs, (thanks to you) which I love, but it takes a while to dry & you can’t put makeup over it for quite a while. She looks totally sunkissed. And yes to the spring fever. I live in MI & it hasn’t stopped snowing at all this winter. Enough already!! 🙂

January 20, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Oh you poor thing! Look Winter, we love you for a white christmas and everything Its just …you always over stay your welcome.

veronica
    January 20, 2014 at 6:00 am

wow, great makeover!!! I like it!!
    Kiss!
    Passa a trovarmi VeryFP

diane
    January 20, 2014 at 6:17 am

Fantastic! Cara, you are an artist-you brought out Anna’s natural beauty, yet it seems she has less makeup on after than before! Thanks!

Liza
    January 20, 2014 at 6:32 am

The natural look on the right looks so good on her. It makes her look her age as well. Great job! Now I’m getting the spring fever lol

Amie
    January 20, 2014 at 6:49 am

Lovely! & looovvee that you brought out the freckles!!

Elaine
    January 20, 2014 at 6:50 am

So cute and youthful. I don’t agree that this makeup ages her. I think she looks super cute and age appropriate. Beautiful girl. She doesn’t look made up at all.

Would be great to see a video of you actually doing the makeovers. I love to see the looks as you do them on yourself in the tutorials, but it would also be awesome to see exactly how you do the makeovers on other people.

Love it when I start my morning with coffee and a new post from you. Keep ’em coming, dah-ling.

January 20, 2014 at 8:21 pm

haha so story about that..I have recently started trying to film my makeover shich has been a giant flop so far. I’m always standing in front of the camera and getting super side tracked by trying make what I am doing visible while still trying to concentrate on what I’m doing….It can be mastered I’m sure its just gonna take some trial and error first! And thank you! So glad I get to spend morning coffee with you! 🙂

Avi
    January 20, 2014 at 6:53 am

So Beautiful! I’m so frustrated that I can’t get the Tomas Spray in Canada! If you could suggest any good dupes that would be great!

January 20, 2014 at 7:46 pm

ill keep my eye out for one!

Kat
    January 20, 2014 at 7:11 am

I’m partial to her before lipstick, I like that little pop of color she had going on. LOVE the uncovered freckles but pretty sure this girl can’t go wrong. She’s equally beautiful in both photos to me.

January 20, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I know! she is so beautiful! I feel like she looks like a princess in the first one and a beach babe in the second. Two totally different looks both totally beautiful. I just love her face!

ECF (@d1xbeth)
        January 21, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I think it’s just a testament to how pretty she was in the first place that people are saying how good her before pic looks

Beth Graves
    January 20, 2014 at 7:32 am

Wow! You did an awesome job, Cara! Of course she is beautiful in both pictures! I like the makeup you did on her face and eyes better, but I like the lips better that she came in with better not because of the glossiness but I too like the pop of color. I would be honored if you and any of your viewers would check out my new blog here on at http://www.bethandbeauty.com. Thanks in advance!

the makerista
    January 20, 2014 at 8:11 am

JNCO jeans! Oh my gosh. And butterfly clips! Ha! Thanks for the cringing reminder of the things I used to wear. 🙂

She looks beautiful! Amazing what a difference some gloss can make!

Delaney
    January 20, 2014 at 8:20 am

Love this. Instead of looking like “teen” makeup, this is a look that she could take with her for years to come. You said that you contoured her nose a little more. Do you usually line it with something like the taupe CG liner and then rub it in? I’ve wanted the contour in the IIID foundation to be more noticeable on my nose.

January 20, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I use the NYX Taupe and yes just rub it in a bit, it really is easy that way to make a perfect line down the nose!

Kelly M
        January 21, 2014 at 6:38 am

Do you use the liner before or after the IIID foundation?

Jennifer S
    January 20, 2014 at 8:20 am

I think she looks great in both pictures! It’s weird, because I think her makeup looks more natural and “professional” in the second picture, but I also think she looks older, which as a teenager she might like, but most of us aren’t looking to have our makeup age us. Interesting!

Sarah
      January 21, 2014 at 11:41 am

I think if we tried to do our makeup like the first photo to make ourselves look younger, it would turn out looking ridiculous because a 20, 30 or 40 something woman wearing “teen” makeup would just look dumb. I think this technique only goes one way and the only reason people are saying it looks cute, is because she IS 15. Anyone older looking like the first photo, would just look like they hadn’t changed their look since high school.

Andrea Lee
    January 20, 2014 at 8:21 am

I’m going to age myself a little here, and say that I also had a Bonne Bell obsession in high school! In fact, it leads me to a question I’ve been wanting to ask for awhile. After an unfortunate incident in high school, when a cute boy I kissed told a friend of a friend of a friend ..(you know how high school things go!).. that my lips were sticky, I almost immediately threw all of my Bonne Bell gloss in the trash and swore off gloss forever. It really bothered me, and even now (we’ll just say well over 10 years later!), I can’t bring myself to wear gloss. Who wants their husband to think their lips are “sticky.” Maybe you can shed some light on how to do this properly. In hoping it was just a Bonne Bell problem, but maybe it happens with all brands? I could never bring myself to try again.

Jenna
      January 20, 2014 at 10:29 am

Oh c’mon! It sounds like we’re roughly the same age. You aren’t aging us – we’re not old!!! I haven’t even begun to have children yet. Save it for when we’re 50! X-D

Andrea Lee
        January 20, 2014 at 1:39 pm

At least I did say a little 🙂

Heidi
    January 20, 2014 at 8:34 am

She looks beautiful in both. I think the reason why she looks older in the second is because of the HACing and the change in the way her bangs are styled. HACing gives contours and takes away from the baby cheek fullness (I’m sure there is a better way to say that). It just makes her look more sophisticated, along with the way her fringe hangs in the “after” picture (which suits her face shape better).

Becky Killpack
    January 20, 2014 at 8:54 am

I really like the make-over. She looks very teenage in the first photo and almost plastic looking (not meant to be rude)as she has beautiful skin. But she looks so very natural and sophisticated in the make-over photo. The soft lips look so pretty and natural. Good job. Becky

Jennifer
    January 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

I actually like her before picture. Nothing wrong with pale skin – it’s gorgeous. Look at her eyes – the color pops more on the first picture. Less is more in this instance!

Miranda
    January 20, 2014 at 9:17 am

Oh wow, she looks beautiful! And Jnco jeans.. Oh the memories! I never had a pair of my own. I wasn’t happy about it then, but now I’m glad their isn’t any photographic evidence…
    -Miranda

Brenda
    January 20, 2014 at 9:21 am

I love the makeover! She looks great in both pics but i love the softer colors on her.:)

Josie
    January 20, 2014 at 9:54 am

I think she looks better before. Despite the freckles now showing, the makeup seems heavier with the tanning and contouring in the after, and the lips are too pale. Her eyes absolutely pop in her before. They look natural and her eyelashes are amazing. In the after the eyeliner seems a bit heavy, making her look squinty, and were did those wonderful lashes go?

I’ve loved all your makeovers but I really feel this was a misstep.

January 20, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Yeah she does a beautiful job, I just wanted to show another option. I do think that heavier foundation and darker lips tend to photograph well, while light lips don’t show up in an image as well and her beautiful natural skin showing through was very beautiful in person.

Josie
        January 20, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Yes, her skin is prettier in your makeover. Gotta love those freckles. 🙂

Cait
    January 20, 2014 at 10:11 am

Her before make-up was very mask like. She looks much better with the after.

selenamariebeauty
    January 20, 2014 at 10:14 am

Great job as always! Love your makeovers!

Ashley
    January 20, 2014 at 10:16 am

Simply Stunning! The nose contouring alone is amazing!

<3ash
    Profoundlyash.bloodspot.com

Jenna
    January 20, 2014 at 10:24 am

“Jnco Jeans…” hahahahaha I went to a ridiculously preppy school so Jncos were only for “gangster wannabes” but boy, do I remember them. HILARIOUS!

On a serious note, I have a question that you most likely won’t see but I’ll ask anyway. I was putting on my makeup today and HACing when I realized something. I am so fair skinned that my highlighting does not show up because I have been unable (in my whole 10 minutes of research) to find anything lighter than my natural skin. I thought, “Forget it. I’ll just contour.”

Do you think it is likely that someone can be fair skinned enough to not need highlighting? I am in no way trying to say that I look like Angelina Jolie, but our coloring is identical – hair, skin and eyes. I’m hoping that will give you something to go off of if you in fact read this question and feel like responding.

Re: Lip makeup: Most trends tend to irritate me so I’m always going against the grain. I happen to be a gloss fan right now, which is ironic, because I just ended my lipstick phase. X-D

January 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I do, I think that if you are super dark you mostly focus on highlighting and super fair skin is more about the contouring. A nice soft contour and true to color “highlighter” is perfect for fair skin!

Jenna
        January 21, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Thanks, Cara!

Elizabeth
    January 20, 2014 at 10:24 am

I guess looking older is all relative! Yes, she looks older in the second picture… 16 or 17 instead of 12 or 13 (when she’s probably about 15)! Young girls error on the side of trying to cover up perceived “flaws” by totally flattening out their beautiful features with many layers of makeup. Cara’s makeover brings out her natural beauty and flawless skin perfectly! Sure, if this beautiful girl wants to have more color pop on her lips, she can go for a brighter gloss. There are SOOO many awesome glosses out there in all sorts of colors that have great lasting power and are not sticky. My two favorites are Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie glosses and Almay color + care liquid balm. Thanks!

Karen
    January 20, 2014 at 10:44 am

Would only use Watermelon Lip Smackers when I was young.I now have a addiction to Lip glosses. I think I might have to purchase that Illamasqua one,it looks lovely on her.Good job Cara!

Brittany
    January 20, 2014 at 10:44 am

Jnco jeans and bonbelle gloss LOL. We would have been best friends. Thanks for the laugh;) Great Makeover, she has killer lashes!

Tori
    January 20, 2014 at 11:16 am

I can’t get over that she’s a high school Freshman. She’s stunning, and the makeup is beautiful!

Anna Belle
    January 20, 2014 at 11:29 am

Confession: I still buy the Bonnie Bell lip smackers in Dr. Pepper!! But mostly because I love Dr. Pepper… And I bought some last year that were girl scout cookie themed. (Plus, the make-over is great!)

January 20, 2014 at 7:52 pm

GIRL SCOUT GLOSS!?!?!?!?!?!?! How did I miss that!? I love the Dr. Pepper one two. NO shame in that!

Alexandra Aimee
    January 20, 2014 at 11:40 am

I recently picked up Hourglass shimmer gloss in Verse, and it is perfect for those days when you want to reminisce about a time when we all had 11 juicy tubes in our purses and glass was the thing.

— Alex at Brainy Girls Beauty

jenna
    January 20, 2014 at 11:55 am

This is amazing! Its so natural looking and her skin is just glowing!

Lauren
    January 20, 2014 at 11:59 am

Love her eye makeup! The extra definition makes her eyes pop.

xx Lauren // Dirty Blonde Ambition

Rain
    January 20, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I think the makeover is fabulous.
    I love her natural beauty showing through with the makeup accenting in just the right the palces.
    When I was 17 I recieved a Mary Kay makeover and ended up looking like an 80’s hooker.
    I would have died if someone had of made me look this beautiful!

kelly
    January 20, 2014 at 12:32 pm

She looks SO MUCH OLDER in the second one!!!

carriemer
    January 20, 2014 at 1:02 pm

This is the only makeover you’ve done where I thought she looked better before. Not everyone needs “HAC”!!!

I think she has beautiful porcelain skin. Not everyone needs to look weirdly contoured. Sorry : /

Mia
    January 20, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Beautiful. You are so talented Cara.

Verity D.
    January 20, 2014 at 2:09 pm

She looks like dewy sunkissed perfection!!! Oh my gosh. I wish I could do this to myself. You are so so so so SOOOO talented!

Giada Graziano
    January 20, 2014 at 2:31 pm

love the makeup 🙂
    GlamObserver

Bloglovin’

Madison Cook
    January 20, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Wow what a difference! She’s beautiful either way but the slight changes really bring out her natural features. You should do a youtube vid on how you do the Tomas spray tan before you put the makeup on. I also would like to know about moisturizing before or after and how long you let it dry and all that before you start with the makeup!

Jessi
    January 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Hi Cara! Just a quick question, how do you apply the tomas tanner on your face? I recently bought some, after reading your recommendation, and I can’t figure out how to get it to spread evenly or not splatter. Thank you!

January 20, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I am doing a video showing all the details for Tomas this week!

Melissa
    January 20, 2014 at 4:40 pm

What a beautiful model this week as usual, I LOVE makeover Mondays! I was kind of excited by the before because bright lipstick isn’t usually something you use. Both are stunning – but – the before lips REALLY caught my eye and I would love to know what techniques you use to apply lipstick, etc. and which drugstore brands you’ve used that you like, if possible! Keep up the good work!!

anais1028
    January 20, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I love how she looks dewey and fresh in the second picture. In the “before” photo, she looks too “matte”/pale and the makeup looks heavy–and her forehead looks broad. In the second picture, I can see her fresh skin and youthful glow–and her face shape is beautiful. I love it.

Kaycee
    January 20, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I love that you can see more of her freckles now. That being said, I don’t care much for the rest of what you did. Her eyes popped so much more in the before picture, and her lashes somehow disappeared in the after. And I really really don’t understand why you feel you must tan everyone. Her porcelain skin was so beautiful before. You’re just perpetuating the belief that all women need to be tan to be pretty.

Jessica
      January 20, 2014 at 6:17 pm

If you look back over her makeovers its becoming clear that Cara thinks faked tan and pale lips is the only way to go. 🙁

Dawn
    January 20, 2014 at 5:01 pm

she looks wonderful! but so much older. seriously, i’d put another 8 yrs on her…. but she’s beautiful! weird.

Rebecca C
    January 20, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I love this makeover! I wish I had found such a natural look when I was in high school! Those years were so awkward and unfortunately my makeup was too:-/ I love how natural and bright this makeup is. Im sure Anna is thrilled! She looks lovely!

January 20, 2014 at 8:05 pm

haha I know I had some awkward makeup moments in high school too! Yes, she loved it, she is such a cute girl!

BeckBeck
    January 20, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Oh, the 90s (JNCO, butterfly clips, and Bonne Bell gloss!) Also, is she wearing false lashes in the before pic? I can’t believe how popular false lashes are these days – maybe I’m dating myself but I had never heard of them when I was 15!

Stephanie
    January 20, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I think she looks beautiful – but agreed a bit older than her age. Also, Cara I love you blog and tutorials so much! They have been incredibly helpful but I wish sometimes you would forgo adding self-tanner to your clients and just go with their natural skin! I think the self-tanner looks great on everyone you use it on but I don’t personally tan and you never seem to show any love to us fair/porcelain skin gals! Just a suggestion for the future 🙂 thanks!

Kelly
    January 20, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I love this, it is like a make-under!

natalie smith
    January 20, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Oh cara….

This is just not a good make over. It’s just. …not.

Allison
    January 20, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I agree. This young lady is gorgeous, but the makeover somehow aged her 15 years! It looks like a daughter/mom (beautiful mom, nonetheless) side-by-side. I can’t figure out why. Even despite the contouring, her face’s width somehow shrunk in the “after,” possibly due to photo editing or filter.

Tracey
    January 20, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I have a question about the self tanner. On a couple of your tutorials it looks as if you spray it on and then do makeup right away. However, the directions on the bottle say to let it dry and set for at least 4 hours. I read some of the reviews online and most of them say to leave it on overnight before touching it. I am excited to use it on my face and chest but I don’t want to do it the wrong way! If anyone else has suggestions, please let me know!

Jewel
    January 20, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I think the tan makes her look older, but she still looks beautiful 🙂

Evie
    January 20, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Yea I agree also can you guys please visit and comment on my blog http://www.thegirlwiththepinkconverse.blogspot.co.nz/

CathyB
    January 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Love this look. Question…is it ever ok for a young girl (16) to wear black eyeliner on the waterline of the eye?

ECF (@d1xbeth)
      January 20, 2014 at 10:01 pm

oh goodness, I certainly did at that age! it was the only thing I knew how to do!

Sarah
      January 21, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I did. But it looks tacky. If she wants to look like she doesn’t know how to do makeup or she’s going for the harsh rebellious look, then yes.

lehcar90
    January 20, 2014 at 7:55 pm

looooove it!!!

January 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm

THank you!

Kajsa
    January 21, 2014 at 1:36 am

Wow. I really love this natural look! I would LOOOVE if you would do a tutorial on this one. Just perfection.

Emerald Earrings
    January 21, 2014 at 6:02 am

Girl has some unbelievable lashes! Why didn’t I look like that as a highschool freshman? 🙂

TW
    January 21, 2014 at 7:40 am

Love the makeover. I don’t think she looks “older” in 2nd picture. I think she looks more “put together” and “chic” and “done”. Those qualities you usually attribute to someone that is older. Her first photo – she is gorgeous in both – looks like “teenager makeup”.

Misti
    January 21, 2014 at 7:57 am

Thank you! Thank you! for uncovering those freckles! I have freckles myself and it took me many years to embrace them. When I was a young teen I went to a well known modeling school where I was instructed to cover up my freckles. I was horrified, because my freckles are part of who I am. For many years after that I was so self concious about them. Freckles should be embraced and shown off.

Krista Hughes
    January 21, 2014 at 11:48 am

I think she looks beautiful in both! It’s like she has an alter ego! One porcelain and one beachy!

Sarah
    January 21, 2014 at 11:58 am

Wow! What a beautiful girl. I love the sunkissed look. Amazing s

Sarah
    January 21, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I think this girl definitely has lash extensions and the thick eyeliner above them on the top lid makes them harder to see. I think she could have done less eye liner or done brown instead of black or whatever it was or just done the liner stippled into the lashes without doing so much on top of them. Other than that, she did a great job and the girl looks so sophisticated and mature, which is totally what you’re going for when you’re a freshman.

frankie
    January 21, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I love this, she looks so beautiful and natural!

anastasia
    January 21, 2014 at 3:28 pm

gorgeous makeover – her face looks youthful as it should…before it was opaque and mask-like and now she looks more like her pretty self! well done! love freckles…

Jenna
    January 21, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Maybe I’m just touchy. 😉

I have a theory about your sticky Bonne Bell lips – I think the boy you kissed was inexperienced. You’d be able to tell on your own lips if something felt sticky, so why would he think it was sticky if you didn’t? I suspect this was his first lip gloss encounter. Men/boys have a way of making us feel like their inadequacies/short comings are somehow our faults. I wear gloss all the time – Buxom, MAC, Victoria’s Secret and even Wet ‘n Wild from target and my husband has never complained once.

I think you should go buy yourself some gloss and leave the past behind you. You’re married to a man now who hopefully has a little experience. I don’t think you have anything to worry about!

It irritates me the way boys and their rude comments can make girls feel, especially when we’re at those impressionable ages where we believe everything we hear about ourselves.

Have a good day!

Andrea Lee
      January 21, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I think inexperienced would be an understatement, LOL. Thanks for the advice! It is amazing how the seemingly insignificant things people say when we are young really do have a profound affect on how we see ourselves and the decisions we make. My poor bare lips have gone without for so long and over something silly, but something that made me super self conscious.

Viv
    January 21, 2014 at 9:00 pm

The make-under… she looks so fresh and pretty. Hope Anna reads these comments… she’s such a natural beauty to begin with.

cate
    January 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm

What a beauty!! I Bet the boys will be lining up around the block to date her! Her makeup looks so fresh and pretty! I hope she truly felt as pretty as she looks!

Becky H
    January 22, 2014 at 6:55 am

I’d have to disagree with a lot of you on this one. While she may look “younger” on the first picture, she also looks like a typical teenager that needs some help with her makeup. 😉 Her eyes are so bare it’s almost distracting and her foundation is so matte, it makes her skin look a lot more unhealthy than it is. In the second one, I think the makeup actually brings out more of her natural beauty. The softness is what I would want to see on any woman, especially a young woman of her age. And she does look like Lindsey Lohan…but I think that’s a compliment. I don’t care about her personality from the beauty perspective…she’s gorgeous. And the contouring…who wouldn’t want to have great cheek bones, at any age. Kudos, Cara!

Lip Crayons and Stains | The Anna Belle Blog
    January 23, 2014 at 6:51 am

[…] flavor, but now have the Olive Oil and Lemon, which has a rather neutral  smell/taste. But after Cara’s post a few day’s ago, I am again craving Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers in Dr. […]

Molly Gardner
    January 23, 2014 at 1:26 pm

You such a beautiful job on these makeovers. Everyone still looks like themself, just so fresh and pretty!! I love seeing these makeover emails in my inbox on Mondays!

Molly

Jessica
    January 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm

She looks stunning! I love makeover monday!!

Mindy G
    January 24, 2014 at 10:26 pm

the after is amazing, a more natural and softer/youthful look

AlysonM
    January 25, 2014 at 6:29 am

I made the exact mistake she was making in her before picture in high school: doing my best to cover up all of my freckles! She looks naturally glowy and gorgeous in the after picture. I love it!

Kieran
    January 26, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Sorry, Cara, but I think you’ve lost me… I was excited when I saw how beautiful and mature she looked in the after, and then I saw that she was only fifteen? She looks at least 23. I almost feel uncomfortable. I’m a longtime reader and a huge fan, but I can’t help but feel disconnected here. Im sorry!!

mikaleighlr
    January 29, 2014 at 5:23 pm

what a beautiful girl!
    even her makeup she did on her own was lovely but what cara did made her beautiful features stand out that much more
    great job!

Jessica G
    January 31, 2014 at 7:59 am

You’re so talented! This girl was adorable and sweet and you made her even prettier – and more confident looking. I wish you could come over and give me new looks every day! Love your blog! Fun fun and helpful 🙂

Lauren
    January 31, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Wow that girl has amazing eyelashes!! To be honest I actually prefer her pale skin in the first pic…seems more suited to her. Maybe a dewier foundation or tinted moisturizer that was still in a pale shade would have brought out her features more? I also like how you brought her hair to the front of the face in the after.

ginny
    February 9, 2014 at 9:47 am

Late comment here, but I just had to put my 2 cents in after reading all of the negative comments! My first impression of this makeover was “Wow, she looks so much better! So much more natural, soft, glowy.” If there is anything more “youthful” about her before, IMO, it is simply that inexperienced makeup application is a sign of young teens! Her “before” foundation has that flat, one-dimensional look and is a bit too heavy. Her eye area, as well, has little depth, and all of this makes her face look less beautiful than it truly is. The after brings out all of her natural beauty that was previously being covered up. My 13 YO niece is just learning to apply makeup, and I have directed her to this blog to help her hopefully avoid the worst of these types of teen mistakes. I think the “after” here looks beautiful, and she doesn’t even look CLOSE to 30 or 40 years old! I am 41, and I can only wish I looked so young, LOL! Great job Cara!

Rebecca D
    February 13, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Polarizing makeover! LOL I’m with the ‘after is better’ contingent. She’s a gorgeous girl either way, but the before photo makeup washes her out with flat heavy foundation, super dark lipstick and there is no depth to her eyes. I love the after photo – she looks so much more natural. She could definitely pass for 17-20 but so can any well made up teen. And she does bear a resemblance to Lindsay Lohan – circa 2006 – when she was still fresh faced and gorgeous. Nice job!

Emilie
    February 27, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I liked how she looked better in the before I’m sorry to say. Her lips looked fuller and it’s a pretty shade on her, I don’t think you have to contour everyone’s nose, and I liked her lashes in the first pic without all the eyeshadow. She looked her age.