AskCara My Life

A little about you…

I have very much enjoyed reading the responses from my survey last week.
You guys are hilarious. Every time I do something like this where I get a chance to get to know you better or when I have an event and get to meet readers I am always more and more convinced that I have found my best people.
Kind, smart, warm and completely hilarious.
I figured you’d enjoy reading some of the answers as well!

In response to where you are in your makeup know how level:

54% of you know enough to get by but are wanting more
22% Only know what they’ve learned at so EXPERT level in other words:)
16% are TOTAL Glamazons
& 4% were going with zero knowledge

How long have you been reading ranged from one day all the way back to the very beginning (3 years in April!) With a vast majority in the past year.

Among your biggest beauty concerns maturing/agin skin  was definitely the most talked about. Acne was the next most common answer.  Eyeshadow was probably third. I’m pretty excited to tackle these:)

What did you guys want to see more of?
Makeup tutorials! and quick beauty tips won that one with flying colors

As for what you don’t want to see more of…
Outfits took an easy win there…

I loved reading some of the things you guys wanted to hear more about that weren’t beauty related. A few of my favorites were:

I loved your posts about your past and your healing over rough times. It helped me feel less alone to know that you’ve gone through similar trials and heartache 🙂

I always LOVE to take peeks into people’s lives (what’s in your bag or what’s on your bedside table are fascinating to me for some reason?!)

photography skills and tips

I am ALWAYS looking for a good book so I took some liberties with my survey to steal your ideas. Most often mentioned were:
The Fault in Our Stars – I couldn’t agree more, I adore this book. I totally did the ugly cry for at least 50 pages.
Pride and Prejudice – I haven’t read it yet, should I be ashamed? cause I am.
To Kill a Mockingbird – Classic. Easily one of my favorites too.
& Harry Potter – Which is a perfectly reasonable choice but- don’t be mad – I just can’t get into it. I’m really sad about it too, it totally bums me out when I can’t get into something that everyone else seems to derive so much joy from (Breaking Bad, I’m looking at you.)

Reading other people’s happy things is the best because it can’t not make you happy too. Especially when they get really specific:)
Husbands and children (furry ones included) definitely ranked highest here taking up a vast majority. Among the rest:
Making other people happy (totally), baking, singing, dancing, running, looking pretty, food, football, photography and prayer.
My personal favorite:
Being with my 2 little girls and husband and hearing them laugh that deep soul uninhibited laugh!
Cause I can’t think of anything better than that.

Other blogs you follow?
There were SO many blogs added here, many of which I’d never heard of so I am excited to venture out, in the meantime some of the favorites were:

The Small Things Blog – I love her, she seems so sweet and classy.
Vintage Revivals –  cause, Of course!
The MM&L Show – I just hung out with those two last night! Every bit as hilarious and beautiful in person!
How Sweet Eats – Such great taste you guys have, she is amazing.
Cassidy Miller – I DARE you not to fall in love this her. Such a light of positivity and love.

So if happy things make me happy, why is it that hearing pet peeves kind of make me happy too?
These were by far the funniest in the list. Rudeness, bad driving and bad grammar in all kinds of specifications are bugging you guys the most but there were many, many others like:

The word peeve. (Agreed! Why is that word so bothersome? I guess it’s fitting)

When a blog isn’t updated regularly and people who are rude. And people who don’t appreciate a good British tv show. (yep, yes & double yep:)

I hate it when someone sits on my made bed. Like, really, did you not see that 1) it was MY bed and 2) It was perfectly made. In addition, I keep telling my family to not go on my bed and they do it anyway. Plus it is in my room, which is just mine. So, if it’s my room, my bed, it’s perfectly made, and I’ve told you a hundred times to not sit on it, then why do you do it anyway?
(I agree, why are they not getting this bed sitting thing!!?? 🙂

I’m a little frustrated that I can’t think of one — though I suppose that’s a good thing, right? (Totally:)

Thanks for sharing your ideas/opinions and cracking me up
Have an incredibly good day!

January 16, 2014 at 4:41 am

OMG! I missed this “survey”! Have to run out the door but, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE teach me (us) how to use makeup to make under-eye HOLLOWS/darkness appear less obvious. I’ve been tortured by this issue and it’s only getting worse as I age (gracefully!). I’ve searched and searched and have yet to find any useful tutorials. if anyone can do it you can!!!! 🙂 xo

January 16, 2014 at 12:15 pm

On it:)

January 16, 2014 at 4:56 am

Maybe your survey could turn into an annual event.

January 16, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Love that idea!

January 16, 2014 at 5:33 am

Your survey was lots of fun! One thing I’ve been trying to figure out and I totally forgot to ask you: what is the difference between bronzing and contouring? As far as placement and color (can you use the same color/product to do both?!) I just don’t know.

January 16, 2014 at 6:34 am

Oh no! I LOVE your outfits! They are such a fun “bonus” of following you. 🙂 I hope they stay.

January 16, 2014 at 6:54 am

January 16, 2014 at 7:13 am

I agree, too! If you enjoy showing outfits from time to time, please continue to do it! Every blog is better when the writer does posts that they’re passionate about, when they’re inspired. Those who may not be interested don’t HAVE to read that post..

January 16, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Thank you! I definitely won’t stop with the outfits! I figure it just meant that you guys don’t want me to do more clothes and turn this into a fashion blog:)

January 16, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Totally agree! I can’t believe even one person checked “Cara’s outfits” as something they want less of!!

January 16, 2014 at 6:39 am

Nope, I can’t get into Harry Potter either. Or The Hobbit. OR Breaking Bad. Can’t. Do. It.

BUTTTT! If you want to read an incredible, challenging book; read ‘What’s It Like To Be Married To Me’ by Linda Dillow. Holy crap. It’s SO SO SO good. I think I highlighted every word. Such an easy read with a lasting effect!

Much love to you, Cara!

January 16, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’m getting it on kindle right now! Thank you!

January 16, 2014 at 6:47 am

I love your outfits too! I even bought the super tall platform sandal wedges from target that you has last summer! I love them and got them bc you said they are comfortable so thank you for that 🙂

January 16, 2014 at 7:48 am

I love your outfits too 🙂

Lorena Wood
    January 16, 2014 at 8:02 am

Somehow I missed the survey but I had a possible reason why people love to come in our bedrooms and sit or lay on them. Theory of course but what I hear (from my kid and her friends!) is “mom, your bedroom is so nice,” or it’s really pretty and cuddly like you,” So in a way it’s nice that they feel safe and close to “mom” even when “mom” may not even be home. I come back to the room-My Room!, and I find books and dolls and stuff, not to mention socks laying around. In the end I’m OK with it. One day soon she will be gone and I will wish some little kids would come pounce on my bed as pretty and romantic as it is.

January 16, 2014 at 12:18 pm

haha I totally agree! I hardly ever make my bed so I can’t say that I’ve had that problem but I just loved how passionate she was about it. Totally make me smile!

January 16, 2014 at 8:48 am

You know, I couldn’t get into Harry Potter either. But now that my daughter is in second grade she has started reading it and I LOVE it now!! I think it is mostly because she gets SOOOOO excited about it and is constantly talking about it, but it’s fun now 🙂 Maybe give it a few more years until Christian is older 🙂

January 16, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I can TOTALLY see that happening! Right now he’s in to squinkies and I think I’m just as excited about them as he is. Disneyland too, I went when I was a teenager and thought it was a snooze but when I went back with Christian it was magical! I bet she loves that you are reading it with her so much!

natalie smith
    January 16, 2014 at 9:23 am

Hey Cara(or anyone else who wants to answer), completely random question- I have some products I’d like to return to sephora and I know that without a receipt they will still give me store credit, but what if you don’t have the original packaging? Will they still take it back???

Jessica Bell
      January 16, 2014 at 9:41 am

YES! I have had the same thing happen to me and they have taken it back. Sephora is awesome!

January 16, 2014 at 12:21 pm

yeah, sephora ROCKS! You don’t need the packaging!

Jessica Bell
    January 16, 2014 at 10:40 am

Hahaha it was great to read the response! I agree that you should do this annually 🙂 thank you for sharing!!

January 16, 2014 at 11:46 am

I am apparently a rather unique person as most of what I contributed to the survey did not make the “most popular” cut. Maybe that’s because I’m not really the follower type. For example; Writing. Like. This. Is. One. Of. My. Greatest. Pet. Peeves. Because. Everyone. Is. Copying. Everyone. Else.

Cara, Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for not covering your blog in chevron print and mason jar art projects. I also appreciate that you do not call us all “lovelies.” You are hooked on the word “adore” like every other blogger, but I’m sure that will fade in time! X-D

There. I can sleep at night now!!

January 16, 2014 at 12:24 pm

hahaha I love you. I think I’m hooked on adore because I naturally just want to you love way too much so I have to find something equally as strong to use in it’s place without saying that I’m Obsessed with everything. I also should say, I’ve always called my husband Nick, even when it was much cooler to give him a blog nickname. I get points there too, right?! 🙂

January 16, 2014 at 4:29 pm

You really are a doll. I do not mean to be critical. You know, I’ll bet everyone picked up that word from you! I love you too, obviously. Keep being awesome!

January 16, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Haha, Cara, thank you for reading all the answers. I’m one of the Harry Potter fans and Breaking Bad mega fan. I started reading Harry Potter at the same time my nephews did and became a nice tradition to go to each Harry Potter movie that came out with them. Give it time and you and Christian may enjoy the movies later. As for Breaking Bad, the show is pretty gory and scary (to think that something like that could happen to you or a loved one) but I only ask that you give it two episodes of your uninterrupted attention. You’ll be hooked!
    On the outfits, I agree, I wouldn’t want those posts to take over the makeup posts but it’s nice to see that you find pretty cool items at an affordable price.
    I’m going to be officially entering my mid 30s this year. Perhaps a post to help decide when a makeup trend is too “young” (glitter I know) or too “mature” for when we feel we’re “in-between” would be helpful?
    you rock!

Beth Graves
    January 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I enjoyed reading this article, gives me some great tips as to what to do or not to do on my new blog….LOL. But, I am not sure but I think any age can wear some glitter, you just have to be more subtle with it the older you get or maybe not….to each their own….LOL! I would be honored if you and any of your viewers would check out my new blog at

January 16, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Just an fyi, when I click on the How Sweet Eats link, it goes to Vintage Revivals.

January 16, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Have to say that “Me Before You” by Jojo Keyes is a perfect book for anyone who loved “The Fault in Ours.” While it is very different in plot and characters, it is also flawless, bittersweet, and engaging. It makes you remember what it is like to be in love — and in love with a BOOK. I eat books up like toddlers eat Cheerios so trust me on this. 🙂

January 16, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Meant to write “Fault in Our Stars” — LOL

January 16, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I love it when you post your outfits! I’ll be so disappointed if you stop. 🙁

January 16, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Can you please educate us on permanent cosmetics and injectables?

January 16, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Would you add makeup tips for rosacea to your lists of topics?

January 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Thank you for sharing the answers!

January 17, 2014 at 1:25 am

It’s so sweet that a lot of readers filled the survey! 😀 I did haha. ok so what I love most is that 96% of the readers know how to wear makuep, whether they’re pros, or learned here or just wanna learn more. I really thing that all makeup addicts are right here in one place which feels great you know, like a support group 😀 xox love your blog and this post even more <3
    Narine – Mad About Beauty

January 17, 2014 at 9:44 am

I can’t get into Breaking Bad either. It seems like everyone loves it. I watched the first two seasons and it was just meh. Stopped watching and haven’t looked back! Love that you shared the results with us. I’m adding The Fault in Our Stars to my reading list now!

January 17, 2014 at 11:12 am

ok-I LOVED your photography tips! We had family photos done over Christmas, and your makeup tips, and tips on how to stand and sit etc were all so helpful! I usually am the one looking awkward in pictures, but not this time!! 😀

January 21, 2014 at 8:52 am

I am SO JEALOUS that you got to hang out with Michelle and Laura!!!! I love their youtube channel, I have seen every episode! 😀 Thanks for posting back the results from the survey, it was fun to read.

Diane Heiken
    January 23, 2014 at 8:16 am

Cara I watched a few of the MM and L episodes…those girls are funny! Where do I buy one of those pink face razors???