Before & Afters Makeup

Todays makeover is of one of my very favorite people.
I really lucked out in the In-Law department. Both my mother and my father in-law are supremely kind, generous and loving people, any time I get to spend with them always makes me happy and inspires me to be more selfless. Becky, Nick’s mom, is beautiful from the inside out. She has gorgeous blue eyes and beautiful skin baby soft skin. Plus she’s a total QVC connoisseur and always finds the coolest things that I get to sample first hand. (She’s the one who found Wen!)

I kind of just ambushed her so in the first photos she is wearing her makeup from earlier in the day:

I was so excited to make make her eyes stand out like crazy so I lined them with a high pigmented black liner and then smudged the line with a gorgeous Slate Blue from the Lorac Pro Palette. That subtle hint of blue has a way of looking smoky and brightening up blue eyes without screaming BLUE EYESHADOW HERE! Then I gave her a coat of mascara and was careful to start right at the root with the wand, which helps the lashes look thick and full.

Next I wanted to give her a little bit of extra sexiness by way of an arched brow. Because her hair is so dark and things tend to go warm or “orange-y” on her skin tone I ended up using black to fill her brows, which I almost never do! When you are filling in brows in areas where no hair is growing at all it’s vital that at least some of the brush strokes are done with a color that matches the hair exactly and since her hair is jet black it just worked.

Then I gave her some IIID Foundation in Light. I took this photo so I could portray how it looked pre-blend and where I put the lights and the darks:

Before blending the yellow undertone always look a little crazy and the dark won’t go on this heavy, I did it darker so the placement would be more obvious.  Then I dabbed the blush into her cheeks and the illuminator on her brow bone and the top of her cheek bones. I have some exciting things to tell you guys concerning this stuff, the number one thing being that pre-sales will be underway tomorrow for the medium & the shortcake to be shipped on or before January 18th YAY! Also, I have some changes being made and other things  so keep your eyes peeled on that IIID page!

Finally, I loaded up her lips with some pretty pink gloss (in Pink Nude) to finish her off and BAM.
What a gorgeous lady.

Happy Monday!
Love you all!

PS! To all of you in Northern Utah!
I will be at my sister’s awesome clothing store:

internet ad 3

on January 14th from 4pm-8pm doing demos with the IIID products and hanging out!
I hope some of you guys can come by, I’d love to meet you!

January 6, 2014 at 4:17 am

She looks stunning! Her eyes are beautiful, but the tricky part (for me) is blush and lips…and hers are awesome!

January 6, 2014 at 4:21 am

very nicely done

January 6, 2014 at 4:27 am

I love how you enhanced her natural beauty! Wish I could do this myself, I’m clueless beyond powder, lipstick and mascara!

January 6, 2014 at 4:47 am

i LUV how you fill in eyebrows! i’m now filling mine in more but want that statuesque eyebrow. i dread over-doing it! Also, would you say that eyeliner, Loreal Extra-Intense, lasts all day?

Tracy Miller
    January 6, 2014 at 4:52 am

I love your makeover posts! I am all about the eyebrows 🙂

Tracy Its Mostly About Fashion

Karen Jerread
    January 6, 2014 at 4:57 am

What a beautiful lady. It just shines from within.

Debbie S
    January 6, 2014 at 5:05 am

Wow, from wishy-washy and drab to gorgeous, sexy and in command! Cara, there’s nothing you can’t do with your magic wands. Thank you for all you do and sharing with us.

January 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I thought she was pretty in her “Before” photo. Cara brought it all out with her loving touch.

January 6, 2014 at 5:11 am

Wow, what gorgeous eyes! Inspires me to try to enhance my blue eyes. I’ve never tried black liner.

January 6, 2014 at 5:14 am

I love your makeovers! It it amazing to see how important the eyebrow is and how it can make such a difference. She is beautiful before but especially after. Her eyes look twice the size and extra vibrant. Well done Cars!

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    January 6, 2014 at 5:32 am

Obviously the HAC looks great but oh my goodness her eyes! They look so sparkly and enormous. I will have to track down some slate blue eyeshadow to play with.

January 6, 2014 at 5:32 am

You do amazing makeovers!! I wish you lived near me! I would so love to have a makeover like that. Your mother-in-law looks beautiful!

Anna Belle
    January 6, 2014 at 5:36 am

Her eyebrows are fantastic! Thanks for the pre-blended picture – that makes a lot more sense to me. I think I was trying to be too subtle from the start and then the effect was too little.

Chiara Vitaloni
    January 6, 2014 at 5:36 am

Love the way you changed her eyebrows!!!

January 6, 2014 at 5:39 am

Beautiful! Would love to see that eyebrow as a tutorial

January 6, 2014 at 6:01 am

Nice brows!

Rachel White Pennell
    January 6, 2014 at 6:11 am

Love the eyes! They are really popping! Just gorgeous!

January 6, 2014 at 6:11 am

Super excitd to finally get an update on the medium! I’ll be ready tomorrow! One question though, if tomorrow starts per-sale when do you expect it to ship? I leave for Hawaii on Feb 1st and I would be so upset if I can’t take it with me!!

January 6, 2014 at 6:21 am

Wow! Her eyes really stand out! It’s amazing what a change in eyebrow shape can do. I was guilty of making my brows to thin, and thanks to the posts I changed that, and no one can figure out what I did differently. Beautiful lady!

January 6, 2014 at 6:28 am

wow, great makeover!!
    Passa a trovarmi VeryFP

January 6, 2014 at 6:32 am

Cara: Question for you. When I fill in my brows on areas where there is no hair growing it looks really good except up close. You can see that it is just makeup and not like actual hair if you within a foot or so from me. Seems like the biggest issue is where my brows are the fullest. Past the arch always seems to look fine. Any tips? (a new eyebrow tutorial showing brows on you and also on a person with lighter eyebrows would be awesome — hint hint).:-)

January 14, 2014 at 5:11 am

This is what I was going to ask too!! I have areas where there is NO hair at all and it looks so fake when I fill them in cause there’s no texture and it looks flat. I have used both a soft pencil and powder and they both give the same result. Can you PLEASE film a brows tutorial! Pretty please 🙂

January 6, 2014 at 7:19 am

She is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting!

January 6, 2014 at 7:22 am

I live in West Jordan. Could I get you to do a makeover on me while you’re up here?! Let me know!

Cara D
    January 6, 2014 at 7:38 am

Beautiful makeover! The eyebrows make such a difference and she does have gorgeous skin!

January 6, 2014 at 7:51 am

You are the eyebrow queen!

January 6, 2014 at 8:16 am

Pretty lady! Those eyes! Did she like it? I got super excited to hear you will be in Northern Utah, but South Ogden is a little far for me. Dang it! Come to Utah County!

Katy Burnett
    January 6, 2014 at 8:31 am

I’m SO excited to see you at Runway! I love that place and just went shopping there for my birthday! I would love love love it if you would do a makeover on me while you’re here!

Juliana Masters
    January 6, 2014 at 9:23 am

Yay! You’re up north! I’m gonna try to leave the kids with Dad and head over! I’d love to see you use IIID on me in a make over. I haven’t bought any yet, but plan to as soon as I can. 🙂

January 6, 2014 at 9:47 am

Wow!!! The eyebrows and the eyes and the nose contour and wow!!!!

January 6, 2014 at 10:01 am

What a gorgeous lady. She’s very striking.

January 6, 2014 at 10:02 am

Nice job! I love the make up by the way. So glad I got it! I’ve been showing everyone and even doing a tutorial for my mom and aunts on christmas! “Tutorial” as in showing them how good it worked. Nothing like how amazing yours are.

January 6, 2014 at 10:50 am

What did she think AND what did her husband think?! She went from “pretty” to STRIKING! She amd my MIL have the SAME eyebrows! What a fabulous make-over, I can’t wait to share this….. I too wonder about filling in where there are no eyebrows. I definitely am getting better at filling mine and shaping them more, I just don’t like the look up close when you can see that it is mostly eyebrow make-up. I love Makeover Mondays!!

January 6, 2014 at 11:56 am

What is the color of gloss??

January 6, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Nude Pink:) Sorry bout that!

January 6, 2014 at 11:57 am

Her eyebrows MAKE this look. Wow!!! You are a magician!!! Can’t wait to hear what the upcoming news is on the product line.

January 6, 2014 at 11:58 am

Wow … your MIL looks absolutely glowing! She’s a beautiful woman. 🙂
    Cara, will you do a tutorial on lipstick / lip gloss application for thin lips, PLEASE … !! I see she has thin lips but looks great with the lip gloss. I have an almost non-existent upper lip and find myself stuck using the same color b/c i feel I have to outline my lipstick and pretty much create my upper lip (my lip stick stays on all day, btw). So I feel if I use gloss, it’ll just bleed right away – no bueno, smh.

January 6, 2014 at 11:58 am

Stunning makeover!! I esp love the eyebrow transformation!! I wish you could do mine!! Blessings!

Liz @ btb
    January 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Am I the only one who can’t see any pictures?

January 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I cannot see pictures either, but only when on my iPad. Laptop and iPhone are fine. Don’t know what it is. I can see the sidebar images, but not the images in the main posts. 🙁

January 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Gorgeous! Your makeovers are always so stunning!

January 6, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Wow! Just wow! She looks A-mazing.

January 6, 2014 at 1:01 pm

She looks fantastic!

January 6, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Love it! She’s looks fantastic!

January 6, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Hi Cara – the link doesn’t give us the color of the gloss.please let us know? Thanks!!’

January 6, 2014 at 2:56 pm

sorry about that! It’s Nude Pink!

January 6, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Just went to the Ulta store in Salt Lake, and your famous there! The gal there said all their customer are talking all about you, and she wanted to know why. So, of course I told her about lllD and how wonderful it is. Then I steared her to your blog, because she for some reason could not find you. With a name like MasKara how could she not find it!?

My lllD took me about 2 weeks until I found out how much I love it. I learned HAC from you and stared using your tips with bronser earlier this spring. So when I got your medium lllD I had a hard time seeing the darker color. I was so use to seeing the more orangish brown color, it showed up more and it was a little more dramatic. I felt (at the time) like the lllD medium dark wasn’t dark enough. But as I have looked back on my pictures of me and realized that the bronser was nice and I felt like I was looked good, but in all my pictures I looked more orange and not very natual. With your lllD I look natural, it’s a shadow, just like you said it should be. My skin glows now and I’m not orange! I just think it takes some time to get use to something new. The yellow is really my favorite on how it totally transforms my face. It’s all my favorite! Thank you!

January 6, 2014 at 2:57 pm

YAY! I am SO excited that you love it now! It’s got quite the learning curve but I’m so glad you love it even if it took a minute!!!!!!!

Rachel Rinderknecht
    January 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm

She looks amazing! Great job Cara!

Thereasa Locke
    January 6, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I’m getting that Shortcake blush…I’m supposed to be on a no buy thing this month.

January 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Cara I have a similar chin/jawline to your lovely mother in law. So you don’t contour under the chin/jaw to create a shadow/definition?

January 6, 2014 at 3:59 pm

What color is the NYX lip gloss your m-i-l is wearing? Gorgeous!

January 6, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Like everybody else here, I love the eyebrows! My problem is that my eyebrows are really blonde and on the outside they stick way out. Like, 1/4 inch away from my face. I hate it but can’t get them to stay down with gels and it makes it hard to fill in. But maybe I just don’t know what I’m doing 🙂 any tips??

Marcia Jimenez
    January 6, 2014 at 7:00 pm

OMG she looks soooooo beautiful! I just want to be able of doing something like that on me

January 6, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I am so excited you will be at your sisters store on Jan 14th. My sister and I are planning on coming to meet you. Will you be selling any of your amazing foundation when you come?

January 6, 2014 at 10:22 pm

What a great tutorial! You are the woman’s woman, the ultimate cheerleader.

January 7, 2014 at 7:25 am

What shade of blush did you use? I didn’t see it listed. Also on the black for the eyebrows it took me to a general site but not a specific product. Thanks!!!

Mindy G
    January 7, 2014 at 10:10 am

thanks for the pre-blend picture! i had ordered light when it first came out and it’s mostly working out after enough playing around, but the contour does not look like your pre-blend picture on me. just ordered medium to see if that’s a better fit.

January 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Wow! What a great job on your MIL. I want to purchase your hack pack but have a question…I consider myself fair skinned and some fair toned makeup I use make me look ghostly and medium tones look to tan that you can tell the difference when you look at my neck. What shade would you recommend for me?

January 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm

That is a great makeover! It’s the perfect example how properly shaped brows can transform a look. She looks 10 years younger! She’s beautiful!

January 7, 2014 at 3:18 pm

She looks wonderful! Pretty and younger! She should always do her eyebrows!

January 7, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Your MIL is gorgeous and I love that you took a photo pre-blending – thank you!

Sparkles and Shoes

January 7, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I was super excited to place the preorder, but I noticed no option for armed forces overseas. I’m sure the customs thing makes it difficult. Bummer! I will have to wait until I go back to the states. Looking forward to trying the 3 D products though.

January 8, 2014 at 3:20 am

OMG, that store is so close to my house! Excited to see you!

January 8, 2014 at 5:51 am

You mother in law sounds like a lovely lady and she looks gorgeous too! Thank you so much for the before blending picture of the IIID foundation. I had been doing well with it before, but that just made it totally click for me! I love my IIID foundation and I can’t wait to try the blush and illuminator.

January 8, 2014 at 5:55 am

Hi Cara! I loved this transformation bc we have a similar eye color. I’d love to see a video tutorial with those pretty eyes! It seems every time I try something similar I end up looking way overdone, but she looks perfect 🙂 So, a couple questions– is the black liner in her waterline, outside of lashline or both? Also, did you smudge both the upper and lower lashline with shadow? Thanks in advance. I’d love to get this right. PS– your kits are amazing. I’ve not touched another blush since receiving Shortcake (holy moly!! I’m addicted) and the liquid highlighter is beautiful as well. On my low key days I put a dab on my lids and I look refreshed immediately 🙂 Thank you, thank you!!!

January 8, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Hi, she actually has a whole youtube channel with lots of tutorials 🙂

Jessica Bell
    January 8, 2014 at 6:32 pm

She looks stunning! It is so great that you two have such a great relationship 🙂 I too am very fortunate with awesome in-laws. It is the best

January 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm

If i come to
    Meet you and look bad can you make me over?? I know you most likely will not have time but looking forward to meeting you!

January 9, 2014 at 8:20 am

So excited for you to be in northern utah!!! Are you doing any makeovers while you are here?? Can’t believe I missed the medium shade again!! 🙁

Charlie Gibson
    January 9, 2014 at 10:37 am

Is there a drugstore match for the slate blue from the Lorac pallet?

Kathie Cherry
    January 9, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Thank you for sharing this wonderful makeover! ESPECIALLY the photo before you blended~ I am a visual learner and seeing the actual application before you blended helps me so much! I can’t wait to get paid so I can order my IIID goodies!

January 9, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I live in south Ogden. How much would you charge me while you are up this was for a makeover??

January 10, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I love it! My hair is dark brown but my eyebrows are naturally black. I am always conflicted about what color brow to use. The link you left for the black brow product does not go to a specific product. I need it!!! Can you clarify? Thanks! 🙂

January 13, 2014 at 3:16 pm

How do you blend the foundation? Would you post a quick video showing how to put it on?

January 18, 2014 at 1:14 pm

This is my favorite makeover yet.

September 2, 2014 at 10:21 am

Wow! Her brows look AMAZING in the after photo! So pretty. And THANK YOU for the helpful HAC “pre-blend” photo!

October 29, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Gorgeous! Love the brows. My hair is colored light brown to cover faded and slightly graying hair. I don’t like the hassle of coloring my eyebrows which are getting very gray. Can I just use a gray eye pencil on them or will that look strange as I have the light brown hair?

Baby of mine. | Maskcara
    January 27, 2015 at 3:49 am

[…] far his eyes are still blue. Right now it’s a beautiful navy blue like Nick & Nick’s mom and I am hoping it […]

Kristie Davis
    May 19, 2015 at 9:56 pm

You did luck out in the in-law department! Bevin and Becky are two of my favorite people!! She looks even more beautiful in the photos.

Kim Branner
    June 12, 2015 at 11:18 am

Amazing how the darker brows slim her face. Beautiful lady!

November 10, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Beautiful MIL!!! I was esp. happy to see her makeover because I have her coloring with Green Eyes AND I just reordered the 111D HAC Pallette in Light! I got Med. last time. I love this look!