Face Shapes

Highlighting and contouring guide for your face shape! It really makes a difference!

(click HERE to learn more about the products I use to highlight and contour with!)

So after all this talk about these gosh darn face shapes you are probably feeling one of three ways:

1. Sick and tired of it. (I am sorry about that)
2. You are still completely lost on what yours is. (you’re not alone!)
3. You love this series. You not only know your face shape, you’re now addicted to assessing the shape of every random stranger and friend you come in contact with. (I hear ya)

To those in the sick and tired camp. Good news, this post is now closing this series! YAY!
To those who are still lost: I have tried and tried to think of a way to help you out the easiest, most effective way. Until I had perhaps the best idea of my entire life!
Why not put me and those other face shape lovers to work?

Here is what I propose: Pull your hair up in a pony and snap a centered selfie, post said selfie to instagram with the hashtag #spotmyshape
Then me and my army of 3’s (you guys will help me out, right?) will stop by and give our assessment. This is awesome because lots of people could easily spot someone else’s face shape but have a much harder time with themselves.
Let the instagramming begin!

Side note:
There is a fair amount of gray area here. Not many people fit perfectly into one category. For instance I think that I am somewhere between an oval and an oblong since my face is fairly thin, for the most part either HAC placement would work for me. The main point is not to get it down to a perfect science, it’s just to understand your basic shape and the general areas where you will place your HAC. Just looking at the placement on the faces that are similar to yours will hopefully help you understand it!

• Lindsey

25.11.2013 at 04:34 Reply

This series has been amazing…you are wonderful!

• Sabrina botelho

25.11.2013 at 04:38 Reply

Your amazing. And the instagram idea is brilliant

• Susie

25.11.2013 at 04:41 Reply

I’m loving the series! Years ago, the way you could determine your face shape was to pull you hair back and look directly into your bathroom mirror. Then taking a bar of soap, trace your face. Step back to see your face shape.

• Sandra

25.11.2013 at 05:03 Reply

I for one love this series and your blog!! I have been enjoying reading back through all of your posts. My problem is that I WAS an oblong face but due to an illness and medication (hate them!) I have gained weight. Would my face shape change? I feel more like a rectangle now, my cheeks and jaw line are wider from the weight gain. Is that possible?

• Amanda

25.11.2013 at 05:15 Reply

perfect, i took passport photos today so i just uploaded them with the tag! 😉 i’ve always thought of myself as having a round face because it’s quite full (used to be fuller before i lost a bunch of weight), but i’m really pretty clueless.

• Mhairi Taffs

25.11.2013 at 05:15 Reply

Really enjoyed these posts and have posted a pic to Instagram xx

• Tammy

25.11.2013 at 05:19 Reply

Love this series. You’ve helped me so much in how to bring out areas of my face and how to detract from other areas. Now I just need to know how to deal with the folds along my nose and crepey hooded eyes. Your the best, Cara!! Thank you!!

• Kelly

25.11.2013 at 05:23 Reply

Are we able to email you a picture with #spotmyface in the subject line?

• amjens

25.11.2013 at 05:58 Reply

Would like to know if we could do this, too! I don’t have a smartphone so I can’t get instagram!

• Cara

25.11.2013 at 10:27 Reply

• Kelly

25.11.2013 at 10:31 Reply

Done! Thanks so much, Cara! I can’t wait to see what your thoughts are on my shape.

• Lulu

25.11.2013 at 15:46 Reply

I just sent mine, as well!

• Stephanie

26.11.2013 at 20:38 Reply

How do I email you my selfie? I don’t instagram.

• Betsi

25.11.2013 at 05:25 Reply

Please give us the update on ordering your make up!!

• Morag Lee (@moadore)

25.11.2013 at 06:26 Reply

I think I’m somewhere between oblong and rectangle – but the areas I need to contour are near enough matching so I reckon I’m sorted! (and I reckon the hashtag idea if grand, I’ll join in once I get home from work).

• Jessica T

25.11.2013 at 07:32 Reply

Posted!! Thanks so much for all your posts on shapes, I think I know what I am (thanks to your posts) but I posted to just to be sure!

• Darla

25.11.2013 at 08:21 Reply

how do u blend the sides of the nose to get the line to disappear …. I draw the line on the side highlight the middle but it always looks like I drew a line

• Lisa

25.11.2013 at 08:30 Reply

I would love to see you break down EYE shapes! I am totally lost on that! I posted my pic on Instagram (basschick8) for the face shape though :)

• Rachelle

25.11.2013 at 13:40 Reply

I was thinking the exact same thing! I know how to do eyeshadow on my eyes because I’ve done it so many times, but I would love to see what tips and tricks there are for people with different shaped eyes rather than just making them seem closer together or farther apart.

Also, great idea with the instagram hashtag! So helpful!

• Anna

25.11.2013 at 08:43 Reply

Never tired or bored of these posts! I’ve always thought that when it comes to make-up or hair style, there’s more to face shape than the frontal view, I think the profile plays a role, too.

• Jessica T

25.11.2013 at 08:48 Reply

I never thought of a profile playing a part in a hair style, good thinking!

• Emerald Earrings

25.11.2013 at 09:10 Reply

Love this idea! I uploaded mine :)

• Nicole

25.11.2013 at 11:05 Reply

I’m sure you hear this all the time, but thank you. thank you for being supportive, caring, kind and uplifting women. the way you make yourself accessible to your readers and respond to us (like the instagram hashtag) is awesome, thank you for all that you do!

• Leigh Ann

25.11.2013 at 11:30 Reply

This is a great idea. Another tip I’ve used in the past is to trace your face on them mirror in lipstick, then step back & see what shape that tracing most closely resembles! (For those who don’t want to post a selfie.)

• Suzann

25.11.2013 at 11:33 Reply

What an awesome series….I always wanted to know my face shape. Thanks for all your super-great tips! Keep up you’re work….you are such a talented lady!

• Amy

25.11.2013 at 12:18 Reply

I don’t have an instagram :( help!

• Kelly M

25.11.2013 at 13:13 Reply

I think I’m normally a pear but I’m pregnant so my new face shape is just plain puffy. Sigh.

• Joni

25.11.2013 at 16:41 Reply

When can we order your make up, I’m so excited!!

• Kelly

25.11.2013 at 17:25 Reply

I am number three, I loved this series!

Sparkles and Shoes

• Katy Burnett

25.11.2013 at 17:37 Reply

I have loved this series! When I first stumbled onto your site you convinced me to start HACing but it never seemed to look right. As soon as you posted my shape it was like magic! I finally understood it and felt like it looked good!

• Glorya

25.11.2013 at 17:41 Reply

Hola Cara, you did a fabulous job outlining all the shapes of faces. Like other women, I am leaning to one shape and still a little uncertain. I would love to take advantage of your expertise. I do not have an smart phone, not do I know how to instagram. I can email. Can I send you my pic by email? Also let me know when you are coming out on Steve Harvey and in the NYTime. I live in NYCity. I will watch and pick up the issue. I have the Allure mag with you in it…I showed you off to some friends. I am disabled and not able to work right now so I am a tv’watcher. I am very happy for your blessings. Love Glorya

• Shayna Prause

25.11.2013 at 22:28 Reply

Hey Cara! Great series & Instagram idea, now I’m completely addicted to trying to identify. Thanks for the new hobby, lol.

• gingererin

26.11.2013 at 01:08 Reply

Cara, I just wanted to take a second to say THANK YOU for all that you do. I know it brings you joy to do it, but you help so many women, and the fact that you’ve been able to combine those two things makes you an absolute inspiration. I’m gonna sound like a total hipster by saying that I’ve been following you since the beginning (like, I FOUND HER FIRST, even though I’m very sure I wasn’t the absolute first person to ever follow your blog). I’ve always loved your tutorials and ideas, and am really excited that you’re finding so much success. So happy your dreams are coming true. Thank you for this series, it’s been awesome! I will for sure take a picture with my hair pulled back and post it on Instagram. Just needed to take a minute to say thank you, since you’re always doing things to help and make all of us feel so beautiful! <3

• gingererin

26.11.2013 at 01:24 Reply

And, I think that I am a cross between an oblong and a heart. This series totally helped me determine that.

• rachelochurch

26.11.2013 at 10:22 Reply

Hi Cara, thank you for your post! Amazing!!! i just posted a selfie on Instagram with the hashtag #spotmyshape. Will you please do your magic for me?? Thanks!!! <3

• BrieR

26.11.2013 at 10:45 Reply

This so helpful! Thanks for taking the time to break all of this down!!!

• Stephanie

26.11.2013 at 20:35 Reply

I don’t instagram. How can I still get help spotting my face shape?

• Koko

27.11.2013 at 04:05 Reply

i’m somewhere between a round and a pear shape

• truebluemeandyou: DIY Guide to Makeup and Face Shapes from… | Banned Memes and other cool stuff

27.11.2013 at 08:03 Reply

[…] DIY Guide to Makeup and Face Shapes from Maskcara’s new post here. Go to the link for for her series on makeup and face shapes. […]

• Lex Briscuso

29.11.2013 at 21:54 Reply

any chance i can still post a pic, or are you finished with the insta part of this? can’t tell my face shape!

• Base! How Pro Can you Go?

30.11.2013 at 15:35 Reply

[…] The ahh-mazing beauty blogger and my all time favourite, Maskcara has just done a whole series of blog posts on how to highlight depending on your face shape, so […]

• Erin

03.12.2013 at 17:20 Reply

What a fantastic post! Thank you so much; this is awesome!

• Stephenie Huston

03.12.2013 at 18:01 Reply

wish I knew my face shape

• Mona

05.12.2013 at 13:22 Reply

Thank you so much for doing this HAC series. I am a round and was just wondering what the difference between the “dots” in the other photo and just the coloring in the round photo. I’ve looked through the other posts and can’t find anything pertaining to it. Please let me know. Thanks

• mikaleighlr

06.12.2013 at 17:28 Reply

Cara these are so helpful thank you so much!

• 2013 Favorites: Beauty | oh, ella

18.12.2013 at 05:57 Reply

[…] it out for Nars Blush/Bronzer Duo in Orgasm/Laguna, which is as good as everyone says. I follow Cara’s guidelines for highlighting and contouring my face, which is really helpful and subtle. The Nars bronzer is great because it plays up my tan […]

• Tori

18.12.2013 at 16:39 Reply

Question, so if you have a round face do you not contour? That one does not have the dark dots like the others.

• Tori

18.12.2013 at 16:42 Reply

Oh, I see it is just shaded! Haha oops

• Face Shapes and Makeup | Espresso and Cream

30.12.2013 at 06:40 Reply

[…] go check it out asap. The post that inspired me to try something different with my makeup was her post last month on face shapes. I’ve seen a lot of face shape posts, but this was by far the best and most detailed post […]

• Annie

01.01.2014 at 06:23 Reply

Hey cara, what if u have a very thin face? I’m heart/oval but when I contour I end up looking skeleton-ish lol! Help please…..

• Random Weekly Roundup #17

12.01.2014 at 06:28 Reply

[…] know how to best accentuate your pear- or diamond-shaped face? These simple-yet-brilliant diagrams from MaskCara lay out exactly how to highlight and contour seven different face shapes to help you […]

• Christianna

25.02.2014 at 10:05 Reply

Is it still open to post a picture and tag it?

• Na Casa Dos 30 | Contorno: pra usar já!

13.03.2014 at 02:06 Reply

[…] Nesse site tem ainda esse desenhozinho de contorno pra cada tipo de rosto, que é diferente! Afe! […]

• Marisol

29.03.2014 at 12:36 Reply

Hey Cara, you mentioned once how you were going to do a tutorial for inverted triangle face shapes! Please don’t forget about us :)

• Dewy, Fresh Skin–Get Your Glow On (3 of 3)–the makeup edition | Ask The Esthetician

09.04.2014 at 17:18 Reply

[…] seen several Pins on Pinterest that offer great visuals of just where to put the highlighter. This one is probably my favorite. I found MaskCara’s blog through Pinterest and her tutorials are […]

• Contour your face according to shape | Fashion Beauty MIX

16.05.2014 at 06:39 Reply

[…] Source […]

• Mishka

29.05.2014 at 20:10 Reply

Cara, I really appreciate your post. It’s really hard contouring my pear-shaped face. I feel like my jawlines becoming even more prominent. How should I fix it?

• Pria

30.05.2014 at 01:11 Reply

I just loved this entry Cara. You really inspire me to be beautiful everyday.

• Passing Conversations – November 8, 2014 | Cafe Le Shay

11.11.2014 at 14:42 Reply

[…] Highlighting and Contouring on Various Face Shapes – maskCara has a great guide to different face shapes here.  For some reason I wasn’t getting updates from her blog since last year, which is a shame, because obviously she’s been putting out some good content. […]

• Passing Conversations – November 11, 2014 | Cafe Le Shay

11.11.2014 at 14:48 Reply

• Highlighting and contouring | Makeup for Beginners

29.12.2014 at 22:18 Reply

[…] Highlighting/contouring diagrams for different face shapes […]

• Contouring for different Face Shapes - Daily Hair & Beauty

21.03.2015 at 20:41 Reply

[…] Via: maskcara.com […]

• Colleen Welsch

08.04.2015 at 14:02 Reply

Love this! This is so freaking helpful!

• Madeline D

08.04.2015 at 15:34 Reply

wow, I’ve never seen anything like this! Love it. Here’s my routine where I use a highlighting concealer and a darker foundation product to give a really natural contour/highlight. I think I fall into the oval category :)

• Sweet Tea Sweetie

08.04.2015 at 20:05 Reply

This is so much more unique than all of the other contour tips I’ve seen. I like that there are so many options.

• Friday Favorites – 4/10/15 | Learning to live with Liz

10.04.2015 at 05:24 Reply

[…] Tips for applying makeup in the right places for your face shape:  http://www.maskcara.com/2013/11/25/face-shapes/ […]

• Links de qualidade |

10.04.2015 at 07:06 Reply

[…] Face Shapes – Formas de rosto […]

• Friday Features - Love and Bellinis

10.04.2015 at 07:44 Reply

[…] guide for contouring based on your face shape! I’ve always wondered if people with different face shapes should be highlighting and […]

• Follow Friday: Finally Found My Health Issue - FutureDerm

10.04.2015 at 11:51 Reply

[…] Maskcara has where to apply bronzer, concealer, and blush based on your face shape […]

• irish soda bread recipeMe My Best And I

10.04.2015 at 16:17 Reply

[…] Okay so it took me a while to decipher I was a diamond but how clever and easy to use is this highlighting & contouring guide? […]

• Weekend link loving | Lar dee dah

11.04.2015 at 23:36 Reply

[…] be following these steps to figure out my face shape and the perfect way to highlight and contour. If it will give me cheek bones like Gisele, I’m […]

• Highlighting and Contouring Tips from the Pros | Zaraya's World

13.04.2015 at 03:48 Reply

[…] Internet for different tutorials on contouring (my favorite resource is MaskCara’s tutorials on how to contour for your face shape) but experimenting with your own face is the best place to […]

• Friday Faves - Jody Robbins | Travels with Baggage

17.04.2015 at 06:28 Reply

[…] Where to apply blush and highlighter based on your face shape. (Can someone please tell me what my face shape is?) […]

• Favoris du vendredi | Bulles & Bottillons

17.04.2015 at 07:40 Reply

[…] grâce à mes années d’écoute assidue de What Not To Wear ahah) Cette blogueuse a fait une charte de où appliquer quoi, selon la forme de notre visage. C’est GÉNIAL! D’un coup d’oeil, on comprend. Allez voir ça, toutes les formes […]

• Highlighting and Contouring Like a Pro » Daily Mom

06.05.2015 at 22:01 Reply

[…] little different, contouring and highlighting are unique to those face shapes. Review this helpful pictorial post, specific to different face shapes and where product should be […]

• I heart - Beauty  - Dancing on the Radio — Dancing on the Radio

20.07.2015 at 12:34 Reply

[…] How to contour and highlight for your face shape.  […]

• Highlighting and Contouring Like a Pro - Baby And Mom Healthy

28.07.2015 at 07:42 Reply

• how to lose 10 pounds a month naturally curly

15.08.2015 at 10:42 Reply

Anything in life could be accomplished by holding on firmly to your certain objective even though you’ll find hindrances towards
    success. I am not planning to enter in the math of metabolic
    process nevertheless the simple simple truth is you’ll want to have less calories entering one’s body daily
    in order for you lose lose weight. Also, don’t
    get confused that hunger is obviously thirst.

• Random Weekly Roundup #17 - Free Wills Studio

10.09.2015 at 22:41 Reply

• My daily makeup routine |

21.10.2015 at 07:34 Reply

[…] nighttime makeup looks different – I will almost always do some highlighting and contouring for an evening out. But that is a separate post. Hope you enjoyed my explanation. I really do feel […]