HAC Makeup

Face Shapes

Highlighting and contouring guide for your face shape! It really makes a difference!

Diamond
Heart
Oblong
Rectangle/square
Pear
Oval
Round

(click HERE to learn more about the products I use to highlight and contour with!)

So after all this talk about these gosh darn face shapes you are probably feeling one of three ways:

1. Sick and tired of it. (I am sorry about that)
2. You are still completely lost on what yours is. (you’re not alone!)
3. You love this series. You not only know your face shape, you’re now addicted to assessing the shape of every random stranger and friend you come in contact with. (I hear ya)

To those in the sick and tired camp. Good news, this post is now closing this series! YAY!
To those who are still lost: I have tried and tried to think of a way to help you out the easiest, most effective way. Until I had perhaps the best idea of my entire life!
Why not put me and those other face shape lovers to work?

Here is what I propose: Pull your hair up in a pony and snap a centered selfie, post said selfie to instagram with the hashtag #spotmyshape
Then me and my army of 3’s (you guys will help me out, right?) will stop by and give our assessment. This is awesome because lots of people could easily spot someone else’s face shape but have a much harder time with themselves.
Let the instagramming begin!

Side note:
There is a fair amount of gray area here. Not many people fit perfectly into one category. For instance I think that I am somewhere between an oval and an oblong since my face is fairly thin, for the most part either HAC placement would work for me. The main point is not to get it down to a perfect science, it’s just to understand your basic shape and the general areas where you will place your HAC. Just looking at the placement on the faces that are similar to yours will hopefully help you understand it!

signature

87 Comments

Lindsey
    November 25, 2013 at 4:34 am

This series has been amazing…you are wonderful!

Sabrina botelho
    November 25, 2013 at 4:38 am

Your amazing. And the instagram idea is brilliant

Susie
    November 25, 2013 at 4:41 am

I’m loving the series! Years ago, the way you could determine your face shape was to pull you hair back and look directly into your bathroom mirror. Then taking a bar of soap, trace your face. Step back to see your face shape.

Sandra
    November 25, 2013 at 5:03 am

I for one love this series and your blog!! I have been enjoying reading back through all of your posts. My problem is that I WAS an oblong face but due to an illness and medication (hate them!) I have gained weight. Would my face shape change? I feel more like a rectangle now, my cheeks and jaw line are wider from the weight gain. Is that possible?

Amanda
    November 25, 2013 at 5:15 am

perfect, i took passport photos today so i just uploaded them with the tag! 😉 i’ve always thought of myself as having a round face because it’s quite full (used to be fuller before i lost a bunch of weight), but i’m really pretty clueless.

Mhairi Taffs
    November 25, 2013 at 5:15 am

Really enjoyed these posts and have posted a pic to Instagram xx

Tammy
    November 25, 2013 at 5:19 am

Love this series. You’ve helped me so much in how to bring out areas of my face and how to detract from other areas. Now I just need to know how to deal with the folds along my nose and crepey hooded eyes. Your the best, Cara!! Thank you!!

Kelly
    November 25, 2013 at 5:23 am

Are we able to email you a picture with #spotmyface in the subject line?

amjens
      November 25, 2013 at 5:58 am

Would like to know if we could do this, too! I don’t have a smartphone so I can’t get instagram!

Cara
      November 25, 2013 at 10:27 am

Absolutely!

Kelly
        November 25, 2013 at 10:31 am

Done! Thanks so much, Cara! I can’t wait to see what your thoughts are on my shape.

Lulu
        November 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I just sent mine, as well!

Stephanie
        November 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

How do I email you my selfie? I don’t instagram.

Betsi
    November 25, 2013 at 5:25 am

Please give us the update on ordering your make up!!

Morag Lee (@moadore)
    November 25, 2013 at 6:26 am

I think I’m somewhere between oblong and rectangle – but the areas I need to contour are near enough matching so I reckon I’m sorted! (and I reckon the hashtag idea if grand, I’ll join in once I get home from work).

Jessica T
    November 25, 2013 at 7:32 am

Posted!! Thanks so much for all your posts on shapes, I think I know what I am (thanks to your posts) but I posted to just to be sure!

Darla
    November 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

how do u blend the sides of the nose to get the line to disappear …. I draw the line on the side highlight the middle but it always looks like I drew a line

Lisa
    November 25, 2013 at 8:30 am

I would love to see you break down EYE shapes! I am totally lost on that! I posted my pic on Instagram (basschick8) for the face shape though 🙂

Rachelle
      November 25, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing! I know how to do eyeshadow on my eyes because I’ve done it so many times, but I would love to see what tips and tricks there are for people with different shaped eyes rather than just making them seem closer together or farther apart.

Also, great idea with the instagram hashtag! So helpful!

Anna
    November 25, 2013 at 8:43 am

Never tired or bored of these posts! I’ve always thought that when it comes to make-up or hair style, there’s more to face shape than the frontal view, I think the profile plays a role, too.

Jessica T
      November 25, 2013 at 8:48 am

I never thought of a profile playing a part in a hair style, good thinking!

Emerald Earrings
    November 25, 2013 at 9:10 am

Love this idea! I uploaded mine 🙂

Nicole
    November 25, 2013 at 11:05 am

I’m sure you hear this all the time, but thank you. thank you for being supportive, caring, kind and uplifting women. the way you make yourself accessible to your readers and respond to us (like the instagram hashtag) is awesome, thank you for all that you do!

Leigh Ann
    November 25, 2013 at 11:30 am

This is a great idea. Another tip I’ve used in the past is to trace your face on them mirror in lipstick, then step back & see what shape that tracing most closely resembles! (For those who don’t want to post a selfie.)

Suzann
    November 25, 2013 at 11:33 am

What an awesome series….I always wanted to know my face shape. Thanks for all your super-great tips! Keep up you’re work….you are such a talented lady!

Amy
    November 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I don’t have an instagram 🙁 help!

Kelly M
    November 25, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I think I’m normally a pear but I’m pregnant so my new face shape is just plain puffy. Sigh.

Joni
    November 25, 2013 at 4:41 pm

When can we order your make up, I’m so excited!!

Kelly
    November 25, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I am number three, I loved this series!

xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Katy Burnett
    November 25, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I have loved this series! When I first stumbled onto your site you convinced me to start HACing but it never seemed to look right. As soon as you posted my shape it was like magic! I finally understood it and felt like it looked good!

Glorya
    November 25, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Hola Cara, you did a fabulous job outlining all the shapes of faces. Like other women, I am leaning to one shape and still a little uncertain. I would love to take advantage of your expertise. I do not have an smart phone, not do I know how to instagram. I can email. Can I send you my pic by email? Also let me know when you are coming out on Steve Harvey and in the NYTime. I live in NYCity. I will watch and pick up the issue. I have the Allure mag with you in it…I showed you off to some friends. I am disabled and not able to work right now so I am a tv’watcher. I am very happy for your blessings. Love Glorya

Shayna Prause
    November 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Hey Cara! Great series & Instagram idea, now I’m completely addicted to trying to identify. Thanks for the new hobby, lol.

gingererin
    November 26, 2013 at 1:08 am

Cara, I just wanted to take a second to say THANK YOU for all that you do. I know it brings you joy to do it, but you help so many women, and the fact that you’ve been able to combine those two things makes you an absolute inspiration. I’m gonna sound like a total hipster by saying that I’ve been following you since the beginning (like, I FOUND HER FIRST, even though I’m very sure I wasn’t the absolute first person to ever follow your blog). I’ve always loved your tutorials and ideas, and am really excited that you’re finding so much success. So happy your dreams are coming true. Thank you for this series, it’s been awesome! I will for sure take a picture with my hair pulled back and post it on Instagram. Just needed to take a minute to say thank you, since you’re always doing things to help and make all of us feel so beautiful! <3

gingererin
    November 26, 2013 at 1:24 am

And, I think that I am a cross between an oblong and a heart. This series totally helped me determine that.

rachelochurch
    November 26, 2013 at 10:22 am

Hi Cara, thank you for your post! Amazing!!! i just posted a selfie on Instagram with the hashtag #spotmyshape. Will you please do your magic for me?? Thanks!!! <3

BrieR
    November 26, 2013 at 10:45 am

This so helpful! Thanks for taking the time to break all of this down!!!

Stephanie
    November 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I don’t instagram. How can I still get help spotting my face shape?

Koko
    November 27, 2013 at 4:05 am

i’m somewhere between a round and a pear shape

truebluemeandyou: DIY Guide to Makeup and Face Shapes from… | Banned Memes and other cool stuff
    November 27, 2013 at 8:03 am

[…] DIY Guide to Makeup and Face Shapes from Maskcara’s new post here. Go to the link for for her series on makeup and face shapes. […]

Lex Briscuso
    November 29, 2013 at 9:54 pm

any chance i can still post a pic, or are you finished with the insta part of this? can’t tell my face shape!

Base! How Pro Can you Go?
    November 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm

[…] The ahh-mazing beauty blogger and my all time favourite, Maskcara has just done a whole series of blog posts on how to highlight depending on your face shape, so […]

Erin
    December 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm

What a fantastic post! Thank you so much; this is awesome!

Stephenie Huston
    December 3, 2013 at 6:01 pm

wish I knew my face shape

Mona
    December 5, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thank you so much for doing this HAC series. I am a round and was just wondering what the difference between the “dots” in the other photo and just the coloring in the round photo. I’ve looked through the other posts and can’t find anything pertaining to it. Please let me know. Thanks

mikaleighlr
    December 6, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Cara these are so helpful thank you so much!

2013 Favorites: Beauty | oh, ella
    December 18, 2013 at 5:57 am

[…] it out for Nars Blush/Bronzer Duo in Orgasm/Laguna, which is as good as everyone says. I follow Cara’s guidelines for highlighting and contouring my face, which is really helpful and subtle. The Nars bronzer is great because it plays up my tan […]

Tori
    December 18, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Question, so if you have a round face do you not contour? That one does not have the dark dots like the others.

Tori
      December 18, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Oh, I see it is just shaded! Haha oops

Face Shapes and Makeup | Espresso and Cream
    December 30, 2013 at 6:40 am

[…] go check it out asap. The post that inspired me to try something different with my makeup was her post last month on face shapes. I’ve seen a lot of face shape posts, but this was by far the best and most detailed post […]

Annie
    January 1, 2014 at 6:23 am

Hey cara, what if u have a very thin face? I’m heart/oval but when I contour I end up looking skeleton-ish lol! Help please…..

Random Weekly Roundup #17
    January 12, 2014 at 6:28 am

[…] know how to best accentuate your pear- or diamond-shaped face? These simple-yet-brilliant diagrams from MaskCara lay out exactly how to highlight and contour seven different face shapes to help you […]

Christianna
    February 25, 2014 at 10:05 am

Is it still open to post a picture and tag it?

Na Casa Dos 30 | Contorno: pra usar já!
    March 13, 2014 at 2:06 am

[…] Nesse site tem ainda esse desenhozinho de contorno pra cada tipo de rosto, que é diferente! Afe! […]

Marisol
    March 29, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Hey Cara, you mentioned once how you were going to do a tutorial for inverted triangle face shapes! Please don’t forget about us 🙂

Dewy, Fresh Skin–Get Your Glow On (3 of 3)–the makeup edition | Ask The Esthetician
    April 9, 2014 at 5:18 pm

[…] seen several Pins on Pinterest that offer great visuals of just where to put the highlighter. This one is probably my favorite. I found MaskCara’s blog through Pinterest and her tutorials are […]

Contour your face according to shape | Fashion Beauty MIX
    May 16, 2014 at 6:39 am

[…] Source […]

Mishka
    May 29, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Cara, I really appreciate your post. It’s really hard contouring my pear-shaped face. I feel like my jawlines becoming even more prominent. How should I fix it?

Pria
    May 30, 2014 at 1:11 am

I just loved this entry Cara. You really inspire me to be beautiful everyday.

Passing Conversations – November 8, 2014 | Cafe Le Shay
    November 11, 2014 at 2:42 pm

[…] Highlighting and Contouring on Various Face Shapes – maskCara has a great guide to different face shapes here.  For some reason I wasn’t getting updates from her blog since last year, which is a shame, because obviously she’s been putting out some good content. […]

Passing Conversations – November 11, 2014 | Cafe Le Shay
    November 11, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Highlighting and contouring | Makeup for Beginners
    December 29, 2014 at 10:18 pm

[…] Highlighting/contouring diagrams for different face shapes […]

Contouring for different Face Shapes - Daily Hair & Beauty
    March 21, 2015 at 8:41 pm

[…] Via: maskcara.com […]

Colleen Welsch
    April 8, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Love this! This is so freaking helpful!

COOCOO FOR COCO

Madeline D
    April 8, 2015 at 3:34 pm

wow, I’ve never seen anything like this! Love it. Here’s my routine where I use a highlighting concealer and a darker foundation product to give a really natural contour/highlight. I think I fall into the oval category 🙂

X

Sweet Tea Sweetie
    April 8, 2015 at 8:05 pm

This is so much more unique than all of the other contour tips I’ve seen. I like that there are so many options.
    Kari

Friday Favorites – 4/10/15 | Learning to live with Liz
    April 10, 2015 at 5:24 am

[…] Tips for applying makeup in the right places for your face shape:  http://www.maskcara.com/2013/11/25/face-shapes/ […]

Links de qualidade |
    April 10, 2015 at 7:06 am

[…] Face Shapes – Formas de rosto […]

Friday Features - Love and Bellinis
    April 10, 2015 at 7:44 am

[…] guide for contouring based on your face shape! I’ve always wondered if people with different face shapes should be highlighting and […]

Follow Friday: Finally Found My Health Issue - FutureDerm
    April 10, 2015 at 11:51 am

[…] Maskcara has where to apply bronzer, concealer, and blush based on your face shape […]

irish soda bread recipeMe My Best And I
    April 10, 2015 at 4:17 pm

[…] Okay so it took me a while to decipher I was a diamond but how clever and easy to use is this highlighting & contouring guide? […]

Weekend link loving | Lar dee dah
    April 11, 2015 at 11:36 pm

[…] be following these steps to figure out my face shape and the perfect way to highlight and contour. If it will give me cheek bones like Gisele, I’m […]

Highlighting and Contouring Tips from the Pros | Zaraya's World
    April 13, 2015 at 3:48 am

[…] Internet for different tutorials on contouring (my favorite resource is MaskCara’s tutorials on how to contour for your face shape) but experimenting with your own face is the best place to […]

Friday Faves - Jody Robbins | Travels with Baggage
    April 17, 2015 at 6:28 am

[…] Where to apply blush and highlighter based on your face shape. (Can someone please tell me what my face shape is?) […]

Favoris du vendredi | Bulles & Bottillons
    April 17, 2015 at 7:40 am

[…] grâce à mes années d’écoute assidue de What Not To Wear ahah) Cette blogueuse a fait une charte de où appliquer quoi, selon la forme de notre visage. C’est GÉNIAL! D’un coup d’oeil, on comprend. Allez voir ça, toutes les formes […]

Highlighting and Contouring Like a Pro » Daily Mom
    May 6, 2015 at 10:01 pm

[…] little different, contouring and highlighting are unique to those face shapes. Review this helpful pictorial post, specific to different face shapes and where product should be […]

I heart - Beauty  - Dancing on the Radio — Dancing on the Radio
    July 20, 2015 at 12:34 pm

[…] How to contour and highlight for your face shape.  […]

Highlighting and Contouring Like a Pro - Baby And Mom Healthy
    July 28, 2015 at 7:42 am

how to lose 10 pounds a month naturally curly
    August 15, 2015 at 10:42 am

Anything in life could be accomplished by holding on firmly to your certain objective even though you’ll find hindrances towards
    success. I am not planning to enter in the math of metabolic
    process nevertheless the simple simple truth is you’ll want to have less calories entering one’s body daily
    in order for you lose lose weight. Also, don’t
    get confused that hunger is obviously thirst.

Random Weekly Roundup #17 - Free Wills Studio
    September 10, 2015 at 10:41 pm

My daily makeup routine |
    October 21, 2015 at 7:34 am

[…] nighttime makeup looks different – I will almost always do some highlighting and contouring for an evening out. But that is a separate post. Hope you enjoyed my explanation. I really do feel […]

Friday Favourites | Curious Citizen
    December 4, 2015 at 12:39 am

[…] 1. A guide to the perfect contouring for your face shape.  […]

3 Classic Holiday Makeup Tips | Blue Kangaroo Blog
    December 9, 2015 at 7:12 am

[…] your face looking well-rested! Finally, highlight and contour as much or as little as you want. This guide is a great way to hack the […]

Easy Contouring | Sparkles and Shoes
    January 15, 2016 at 5:00 am

[…] have been a fan of Cara from Maskcara for years and her diagrams on highlighting and contouring for your face shape are spot on. Personally, I think my face is somewhere in-between an oval and a heart shape so […]

Len
    February 6, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Where are your women of color? That will give me an idea of what the beautiful browns would look like.