Beauty Basics HAC Makeup

HAC Squared

OK guys, today is for the lucky ladies with square faces.
If your jawline is angled in sharp curves rather than rounded you are most likely a square or a rectangle and you are one of the lucky ones!
My favorite thing about your face shape is how stoic, strong and striking you look.
You share a a shape with Demi Moore, Diane Krugger & Keira Knightley.
Contouring for square faces.
The main point of reference here is that by adding some curves under the cheeks and around the jaw you are adding in some softness and balance.
* I know many of you have questions about what face shape you have still, don’t worry! I’m going to give you some more tools for figuring that out and understanding your own face, even if it doesn’t fit neatly into one category, most people are kind of inbetweeners:)
** Also, I’ve gotten a lot of questions on what I recommend for HACing, which used to be a really tough question (especially for fair skinned gals) which is precisely why I created a product just for that! IIID Foundation is going to be available for order SOON!

November 12, 2013 at 4:38 am

Hola Cara, Hey you are in participating in the Fashion Show – Congradulations! Do you think you’ll get a chance to touch that multi-million dollar custom made bra? I was wondering if you would have any time to do a Monday Make Over for one of your loyal regulars since you are in town? I know you are going to be busy. And I just have to ask since you in my City if you can do a make over for me. This is the opportunity for me to understand my face and make up in a new way. So I’ll cross my fingers and leave my cell # 347 780-0286. I don’t know how much you charge. If you have time, I’m flexible as I am not working…thanks Glorya

Amber Foucha
    November 12, 2013 at 4:49 am

Are you going to have an ingredients list available for your products before they go on sale or when they go on sale? It’s important to me to use natural ingredients. I am very interested in your line. So please let me know. Thanks!

November 12, 2013 at 4:53 am

Yeah! A sqaure! That is me. 🙂 And this is very helpful!! I have been practicing your HAC from other vids, but now see exactly how you do the blush. I have high, prominent cheek bones, so haven’t really used a contour underneath them, as they kinda leave their own shadow, but I see now where that blush is supposed to hit. Thanks so much, you are brilliant!

November 12, 2013 at 5:01 am

I can’t wait!!! I’m a totally fair red head and am looking forward to your HAC products!!!

November 12, 2013 at 5:06 am

Are you going to a diamond shape? I think I am diamond shape.

November 12, 2013 at 5:20 am

I am loving this series, Cara, and I can’t wait for your IIID to become available!

Here’s my request: would you please give us HAC tips for highlighting/minimizing specific concerns? As I’ve gotten older, I’ve switched from a round face to an oval face (easy enough, thank you), but I’m also beginning to get 11’s between my eyes and I’m starting to lose my jawline to gravity. Meanwhile, my friends are getting more pronounced marionette lines, naso-labial folds, etc. I would love to see tips for specific features — not just aging concerns, but what if our eyes are wide or narrow set? Can HACing even out asymmetrical features other than noses?

Thank you thank you thank you!

December 4, 2013 at 8:08 pm

OMG. I hear you! I am unlucky enough to have crazy lines on my forehead (at 33) and can’t do bangs. I would love love love some tips for this problem (that don’t include botox).

Christen Mallett
    November 12, 2013 at 6:08 am

I am freaking loving this series- I cannot wait for IIID!!! It’ll be my little bday present to myself 🙂

November 12, 2013 at 6:32 am

I agree with Beth–a series of lessons on how to HAC/camouflage more specific concerns would be most helpful as would lessons on how placement of eyeshadow can enhance eye shape.

Your blog is absolutely wonderful and I love learning from you! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and style with us!

Kendra Boyce
    November 12, 2013 at 7:29 am

Please, please do a video . I was thinking I was round , then heart did the makeup for oval and had to wash it off. For me watching you do it is the best…love the way you teach and you make it so easy to follow.

November 12, 2013 at 7:32 am

I’m excited to try your new line! In the mean time, what do you recommend for contouring in the colder months?? I feel like my summer products are too “sun-kissed” for the fall and winter seasons.

November 12, 2013 at 7:53 am

How do you say your new makeuonline?IIID…eye eye eye D? 3D? Hope that isnt a dumb question 🙂

Elisabeth M
      November 12, 2013 at 10:36 am

I am almost positive it is 3D 🙂

November 12, 2013 at 8:12 am

Perfect timing! !! I’m going to see Pink tonight and was hoping you would do this post today! ! Thank you, Thank you! Can’t wait for your HAC kit to come out!!! So excited for you, and ladies everywhere! !

November 12, 2013 at 9:13 am

Are you going to do a video for diamond faces? Thanks!

November 12, 2013 at 10:10 am

I cannot wait for the IIID foundation! I am very fair (think Twilight without the sparkles) and finding a HAC that doesn’t make me look like Elvira will be very refreshing.

Eryn P
    November 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

Yay! I’m on the lighter-skinned side so I can’t wait to hear about that! So excited to buy your makeup :o)

Elisabeth M
    November 12, 2013 at 10:39 am

Oh my goodness! I am soooooooo on the edge of my seat for your makeup line! I have been avoiding setting foot into Ulta or Sephora because I am planning on going all out when your products become available! YAY!

Sami Simpson
    November 12, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hey Cara!! Love the blog! I was just wondering where your IIID foundation was going to be available, are you putting it into Sephora by chance, or will you be selling it online?

November 12, 2013 at 11:46 am

I really appreciate the work you have put into this series… but I have to admit there is one thing that bugs me. We start off with a description each face shape, including celebrity examples showing just how beautiful that shape is. Then we discuss how to change it, disguising the unique features, so everyone can look the same. These women are beautiful, just like all the “normal” women reading this who have the same shape… I wish the focus was more about enhancing your unique features rather than transforming into an “ideal”.

Nicole Blair
    November 12, 2013 at 11:49 am

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog!! It’s they place I go everyday for my “girl time” sort of pick me up. I have been watching videos, reading post, playing around with all the excellent tips you give us. So I want to thank you for all that you do. I do have some questions I hope you can answer for me. I am having trouble achieving the desired look when I HAC. I’ve tried it many times and in different ways but it always seems to just look like I’m wearing too much makeup. I’m like the other ladies that commented before me, I have some problem areas that I would love to get your opinion on the best ways to handle them. My major problem is dark circles under my eyes. I know that’s a common issue however, mine are a bit different than most. I’ve always had them and they are closer to eyes that’s been blacked than ” dark circles. My second issue is wrinkles. Mine are not that bad yet but trust me paired with the circles under my eyes, and oh yeah for got forgot to mention my age
    spot that is just a bit smaller than a pencil eraser, I received while I was still Active Duty military and worked outside in the SC sun everyday. I’m only 36 but my poor skin as been through so much. Any help you could give would be wonderful.
    Again, thank you for all that you do and helping all of us to find the beauty we all have inside of us.

November 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I would suggest getting “creative” with the products you use to contour. Of course it depends on your skin tone but many of the products on the market are so dark… I get the best results by staying within 2-3 shades of my actual skin shade. Tone is also important, a cool shadow on warm skin is more obvious and less natural. I discovered the Loreal true match powders about a year ago, and have not touched any of my other products since. The line is extensive and divided by tone as well as shade. I’m a W3 and I use W1 and W6.

Bobbi C.
      November 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Hi Nicole. I have confidence that Cara will respond to you personally, but still wanted to say that I feel you, girlfriend – I, too, have been blessed with those dark (on some days, BLACK) undereye circles – and just say one of the things I’ve benefitted from most here on Cara’s blog is the following (which you may or may not have already seen):

Her concealer application tip alone has helped me quite a bit, and if I may add my own two bits, I also use most of my ring finger to sweep the concealer across my undereye AND along past the undereye part and continously dab to blend it in until it becomes seamlessly flush with my upper cheekbone area. It really does help, a lot!

Anyhoo, best to you, and enjoy Cara’s site (and products when they come out)!

Bobbi C.
    November 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hiya again, Cara. This is the one I’ve been waiting for! But, like you said, most of us are combo shapes, and since I’m sort of an odd square-oval combo (I THINK, haha), I will look forward to your further instruction for us inbetweeners, and…

Again, I SO look forward to your line!!! I am also one of those fair-skinned gals who, at this stage in my life (I’m 41), would simply rather embrace and play up that fact than conceal it or spend a lot of time, money and energy on hosing myself down with a spray tan every few days (which, in my case, is essentially what it would take to maintain any bit of “color”). Fair-skinned gals are pretty, too – see Nicole Kidman, Winona Ryder, Anne Hathaway and Dita VonTeese, just to name a few! – we just have to do things a bit…differently, that’s all. 🙂

Tammy Toppe
    November 12, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thank you, Cara!! Can’t wait for your makeup line!! Should I add it to my Christmas List??

November 12, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Do you think all gals should fill in their eyebrows? I think my eyebrows are dark enough, I’m Hispanic, and full enough, but I def love the emphasis I see when it’s applied correctly! Also what is your beauty routine, face wash wise and do you ever get breakouts?! Thanks!

Crystal Howard
    November 12, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I’m so excited to try your makeup line. I’ve learned so much from you and really love just about everything you’ve done so far.

November 12, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I am a heart shape but these are great!

Sparkles and Shoes

Tess @ Tips on Life and Love
    November 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

When you contour, should you take into consideration the shape of your face? How would someone with a round face contour versus someone with stronger features?

November 18, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Hey Cara Mia ~ Just found out about your website through your Allure win as Blogger of the Year ~ Congratulations to you ~ you are very talented !!
    I have a lifelong obsession with makeup and am also a big Kevyn Aucoin fan – have the books ! But I must say, your technique of HAC ing is so easy and your suggestion for using the Physicians Formula for Fair skinned girls to use to do their HAC job was exactly the precise shade for my fair skin !
    The funny thing is I was going to buy that EXACT compact about two months ago when I was going to try a bronzer that would work with my fair skin and then decided, “forget it and embrace the pale “. I have never been a big fan of contouring or bronzing. …. until now !
    Thanks for your wonderful video and it just goes to show, it’s never to late to learn or to try something new .
    After all, it’s only makeup ! Keep up your great work, your website is fantastic.
    New Jersey

November 19, 2013 at 5:45 am

THANK YOU for your awesome blog. Your HAC tips are so easy to follow (and they, um, WORK!)… My square face is so nicely contoured now!

May 9, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Hi Cara,
    I love how you have done different articles for different face shapes and highlighting and contouring for them. Your web site always has great tips. I was wondering if you were planning on doing some articles about contouring and highlighting for different skin tones? I’m very fair skinned and I was wondering if you had any tips for fair skin. Thanks!

Face Shapes | Maskcara
    April 8, 2015 at 2:46 pm

[…] Heart Oblong Rectangle/square Pear Oval […]

birkenstock gizeh sale
    August 15, 2015 at 3:16 am

birkenstock shoes online

louisville plumbers
    August 16, 2015 at 2:56 am

Hello, I enjoy reading through your article.
    I like to write a little comment to support you.