HAC Makeup

HAC for the Oblong

Are you guys having fun with this? I am actually amazed it’s taken this long to post seeing how much a difference each face shape is! It’s making me guilty feeling like I’ve been showing all of you how to contour the cookie cutter way and not catering it to your separate needs.

Although, it might be that it’s still really similar I’m just so close to the situation that it looks completely different to me. You know, like when twins think they look TOTALLY different…Either way, I’m glad we’re covering it now. And just so you know, I am now obsessing over face shapes. Identifying everyone my eyes come in contact with and then projecting imaginary HAC all over their gorgeous faces. So if you catch me staring…

On to the face shape of the day: Oblong.
If your face is much longer than it is wide but is in an oval shape this post is for you, I’m approaching this as a thinner version of an oval.

Why is it awesome to be oblong?
Usually this face shape comes standard with some pretty great cheekbones!
I love how oblongs smiles are so contagious because they seem to embody your entire face.
Good company: Blake lively, Gwyneth Paltrow & Tyra Banks.

Highlighting and contouring for oblong faces.

Big difference to notice here is you want to be very careful not to contour the sides of your face and instead to shade right beneath your cheekbones and beneath the apples of your cheeks.  Another tip is to be careful with blush choices, use something vibrant or light in color as apposed to something dark so that it doesn’t sink in your gorgeous cheeks!

signature

109 Comments

Karen
    November 6, 2013 at 4:31 am

Thanks Cara! No wonder my contouring never looked right! Can’t wait to try this!

Kelly Leto
    November 6, 2013 at 4:34 am

Cara, I feel like my face may be between shapes? Do you have recommendations for figuring out what your face shape actually is?

Junie
      November 6, 2013 at 6:00 am

Yes that would be very helpful. I always have that problem with makeup and choosing glasses

lizteabee
      November 6, 2013 at 6:56 am

Sometimes the shape becomes more obvious if you take a picture of your face looking straight on (like the Gisele picture). Then use a thick marker to outline the edge of your face. The marker line gives you your shape.

Fruitloops
        November 6, 2013 at 7:34 am

Thanks for this tip, lizteabee! And thanks for the brilliant post, Cara. 🙂

Lauren
    November 6, 2013 at 4:36 am

Thank you! I love your blog and follow religiously. Keep us the great work. I am dying for the makeup line to come out! I will be HAC-ing my oblong face using your products!

Donna
    November 6, 2013 at 4:43 am

Cara you are a HAC Goddess! You’re truly a peoples person and your personality shines through your blog. This is my go to site for everything since I came across it. All the best to you and your fab make up line, Cheerio

Carla
    November 6, 2013 at 4:46 am

Thank you!!!!! I’ve been making my face look even longer but now I can start practicing the right way!

wildeinthekitchen
    November 6, 2013 at 5:03 am

I’m so excited to try this out today! Thanks for the great how to!

<3 Vicki
    wildeinthecity.blogspot.com

Diane
    November 6, 2013 at 5:04 am

Thank you for including the oblong shape! Love your blog and appreciate your spirit that comes through your postings. Can’t wait for your HAC and makeup line. I have followed many makeup artists – you are the clearest and most informative!

Michelle Nothvogel
    November 6, 2013 at 5:07 am

When will you be in Chicago??? I neeeeeed you to teach me! Looking at these pics are great but I don’t know what exactly to use. Seeing 4 different colors is overwhelming. I’m the round/chubby face girl 🙁

November 6, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I’m going to be planning out my trips asap so I’ll let you know! Don’t strew about the products, that’s what the IIID foundation is going to take care of for you!

Donna
      November 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I’m from Chicago too, and would also looove a tutorial. Please keep us posted, when you will be in town! I’ve followed you for quite sometime, and am so excited for your success!!

megan
    November 6, 2013 at 5:17 am

I followed a link over to your site about a week ago.. WHOA what have I been missing out on this whole time!?? I rushed out and bought some of the basics. LOVE the St. Ives moisturizer. Im starting to get the hang of this HACing business – I dont think I have the right contour shade but Im holding out until I can buy your makeup line. ALL OF IT. Im 34 and have been SO clueless on makeup my whole life. Not anymore. Im wearing eyeshadow now!

November 6, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Megan! I’m so excited to have you here! I totally understand the contouring color issues! SO hard to find the perfect color! Can’t wait for you to try the HAC pack! You’re gonna love it:) <3<3

Paige
    November 6, 2013 at 5:19 am

Hi cara! My problem seems to be that as I age (I am 43) my face is starting to loose volume. Especially with exercise and any weight loss that may come along:). I feel like I look tired even after 8 hours sleep! I went to sephora and the girl told me not to highlight under my eyes but to use a darker color. I’m so confused. Do you know any makeup artists in Austin,Tx. I so wish you could get a hold of my face!!!

mommyfrank1
      November 6, 2013 at 9:04 am

Paige, I am there with you! Just turned 45. I absolutely LOVE all of Cara’s blogs and have been trying the HAC. I also wanted to see if you’ve heard of Nerium? It’s changed my skin and it’s now healthier than when I was in my 20s! I’d love to tell you more if you’re interested. Have a great day!

November 6, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Hi Paige! I know exactly what you are talking about! I think the oblong HAC will be your best choice in this case! Not sure what she was saying about not highlighting but I think if you follow this diagram, you’ll look much more awake and bright!

Michele
    November 6, 2013 at 5:23 am

You made my morning! THANK YOU so much Cara :)….now I can’t wait to get this kitchen cleaned up and get to my my makeup bag! Congratulations on your cosmetics line! Have a beautiful day:)

Lacey M
    November 6, 2013 at 5:37 am

Love how you are catering to specific face shapes! It would be wonderful if you could show us how to HAC different nose shapes too. Keep up the great work 🙂

Angie H
    November 6, 2013 at 5:39 am

Please do square next. That’s what I am….I think!

Angie H
      November 6, 2013 at 5:49 am

Could you also include HAC for those of us with bags under their eyes. I can’t seem to get it right! I’ll be 40 next month and can’t get rid of these things. Makes me feel so much older than I am. Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks.

Angie H
      November 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

Actually, after looking around on the Internet, I think I’m more rectangular….so do that one next!

Julia
    November 6, 2013 at 5:54 am

This is so awesome thank you! these have definitely been the best HAC tutorials i’ve ever seen.

Lisa
    November 6, 2013 at 6:08 am

Such great tips. My Mom has a shape like this and I’m always telling her to not contour the sides of her face but under the cheekbones. It really makes them pop!

Suzanne
    November 6, 2013 at 6:34 am

I’m new to the site and second the previous request for help figuring out what you face shape is. I’ve recently lost a lot of weight that really changed my face shape. My old make-up routine isn’t working anymore and I’m starting from scratch. Help!

November 6, 2013 at 10:16 pm

After I’ve showed all of the face shapes I’m gonna do a post on getting to the bottom of yours in case your still lost! so don’t worry, we’ll figure it out!!

Karen Lin
    November 6, 2013 at 6:40 am

Thank you!! 🙂 Now how should i contour my nose if it’s too narrow on a narrow face? Love your posts!

November 6, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Thank you!! If your nose is more narrow than you like you probably don’t need o contour it at all, you could just blend the highlighting color on your nose as well as under your eyes instead!

Susan Goldstein
    November 6, 2013 at 6:53 am

thanks!! I just got my package from Sephora that had three of your recommendations 🙂

Megan M.
    November 6, 2013 at 7:02 am

Square next! Square next! LOL

November 6, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I just promised Oval for tomorrow but I promise to do square after that!

Daniela
    November 6, 2013 at 7:05 am

Loving these posts. Had no idea the face shape made so much difference. Curious, how many shades of color difference should there be between the light and the dark ?

November 6, 2013 at 10:20 pm

It should be about one or too shades lighter and one or two shades darker, depending on how intense you want your HACing to look:)

Elizabeth
    November 6, 2013 at 7:25 am

I think I’m oblong but not completely sure. Actually if you asked me before this post I would’ve said round or heart lol. Would love some more tips and how to figure out your face shape! These are great!

November 6, 2013 at 10:20 pm

haha everyone ind of defines them a little different I think but When I’m done with these posts I have some ideas for making sure everyone feels like they are identified properly:)

shaye
    November 6, 2013 at 7:34 am

This is perfect! Thank you so much! I have a thin face, its actually very similar to Giseles, and contouring the other way can almost make me look skeletal or make my nose look more pointy. Thank you so much for showing this!

November 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm

YES! I had the same problem myself from over HACing and making myself look like Gollum from lord of the Rings!

Laura
    November 6, 2013 at 7:43 am

Thank you for including an oblong face, because many people lump it into oval. I have an oblong and cannot do what an oval can do, a definite difference! I feel oblong is the MOST limiting of all the face shapes. All the cool hairstyles are aimed for round, or heart shapes..The contouring pic helps a great deal.

Casy Dee
    November 6, 2013 at 8:05 am

Your model and Angie Jolie look like rectangles to me because of their squared off jawlines and hairlines. I thing of an oblong as having the soft edges of an oval. I’m an oblong, but most of this won’t work for me because I don’t have that prominant jawline. I love the series though.

November 6, 2013 at 10:23 pm

You know what, I think you’re completely right about Angelina, I should have looked up her photos before naming her I was just thinking her face was thin, but it is squared off! Gisele I think could pass for both because her chin is pretty rounded? Thank you!

mymidlifefashion
    November 6, 2013 at 8:36 am

Ooh can’t wait to try this out – THANK YOU, now I know where everything should be going!!! xx

Miriam
    November 6, 2013 at 8:45 am

Anyone know how to tell the difference between regular oval face & oblong?
    As another formerly clueless makeup user I have to take a moment and thank you for this blog. I’ve been teaching for 5 years now when a parent tells me I’m looking better than when I taught her older daughter. I know it’s all thank to you!

November 6, 2013 at 10:25 pm

YAY! so glad to hear that Miriam! Really the only difference between the two is that the oblong is thinner on the sides of the face than a true oval. Tomorrow when you see the oval it might help to see the difference. Basically if contouring the sides of your face makes you look gaunt, you are probably oblong.

liz @ btb
    November 6, 2013 at 9:10 am

That’s me! Well… that’s my face shape. Oblong seems to be such a mix of all the other face shapes, so it’s hard to know where to start. Thanks for the info!

Suzy
    November 6, 2013 at 9:15 am

Cara, you’re a genius! this post is the best thing that has ever happened to me. The way you’re presenting this series – with 3 pictures for each – is brilliant and takes all the guesswork out of it. Thank you – I’m a fan for life! (PS. Talk about instilling confidence in your upcoming makeup range…)

Allie
    November 6, 2013 at 9:25 am

Cara, you are awesome, I’m sold on contouring! I know WHERE to apply the different colours and shades now, but I don’t know HOW to apply them (which brush etc) or WHAT to apply… what’s a good highlighter? What should I use for the darker shade? Help!

Lisa Scott Provost
      November 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

Allie, have you checked out any if the videos Cara has on the subject? She’s made lots of specific recommendations for conyour and highlight products, as well as techniques.

Look in the index …but plan on clicking around for a while, it’s addicting!

CA
    November 6, 2013 at 9:33 am

I came to your blog a month ago via a google search for homemade primer and I’ve been coming back ever since. Thank you so much for making makeup less scary for us late-bloomers! 🙂

Lisa
    November 6, 2013 at 9:51 am

I agree about the hairstyles! I need to have bangs, and volume beside the face because my oblong comes with a Herman Munster forehead that can’t be on display. So my hair is always out of style, but it works. I love these HAC tips, I was doing it right and didn’t even know it!

Kellie
    November 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Thank you for these HAC posts. Patiently waiting for the tutorial for your new make up!!

Abby
    November 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I was waiting for oblong! THANK. YOU. My contouring never looked exactly right, so thank you for showing me your ways 🙂 Can’t wait to try it!

Mara
    November 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm

this hac-ing thing finally makes sense! i was bugging out about what shape my face was and my friend told me to trace it in the mirror. i used a dry erase on my mirror, traced it, stepped back and went ‘huh…yeah…oblong!’ worked pretty well for me!

November 6, 2013 at 10:26 pm

LOVE this idea!

J L
    November 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Thanks so much, what products would you recommend for HACing?

Pochamocha
    November 6, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Thank you!!! This is so great!! You are the best, my dear!

Ali
    November 6, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Awesome!!! This will help me out so much! Thank you!

Mags
    November 6, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I’ve been loving your HAC diagrams for different shapes. I know I am going to be in the mirror tomorrow morning looking at today’s since that fits my shape and trying to duplicate what you’ve done. I can’t wait till I get to try it with your products.

Erin
    November 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Awesome as usual….on pins and needles waiting for your makeup release…..when? When? When? All I want for Christmas is your foundation! Oh and your blush, and probably the illuminator!

Rachel
    November 6, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Is there a reason I can’t see images on your site anymore? Is that just me?

ORTOLANI CATHLEEN
    November 6, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Your website/blog is simply awesome, I feel 25yrs younger after learning your tips & especially HAC, which I’m still trying to perfect, Thanks Care!

Kelly
    November 6, 2013 at 7:18 pm

This is such a great post, thank you!

xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

sarahhanrahan
    November 7, 2013 at 6:03 am

thanks for this… Iv been trying contouring for a while but this makes alot more sense for my face shape 🙂

Julia
    November 7, 2013 at 8:59 am

i just tried this and WOWWWW i’ve never looked this good seriously!!! thank you. I thought I knew how to HAC but clearly I did not 🙂

lindsey
    November 7, 2013 at 11:26 am

Cara can you please let us know what products to use so I can follow the diagram you made which is great! But would love to know suggestions for products for each of the dotted lines!

Olive
    November 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Awesome! This is my shape and I never feel like my cheekbones are sculpted properly to make them stand out. I wasn’t taking the contour under the apples of my cheeks like you show. What a difference!!

Jamie
    November 7, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Ok I really need to try this! It makes such a huge difference! Thanks for sharing 🙂

xo,
    Jamie

Glorya
    November 7, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Hola Cara, I have a question about the HACing on this model. First, I absolutely love her, she is gorgeous. Second, the way you shaded her nose. What was the goal? Make it look smaller, shorter? Like most other women here, I am playing around with understanding my face and how to HAC…I started shading my nose like that and I think it looks okay. However, I don’t know if it’s the right way for me. To begin with, my nose is not large, extra long, have a hump or anything else. In fact, I like my nose, When I use the bronzer starting up by my brown on down, it seems like it gives my nose more definition. Is this the goal? Will it ever be possible to send in my picture for some SOS with the HACing and eyebrows. I wasn’t around for the eyebrow demonstration. After reading and watching your video’s I am working at growing in my brows, shading and making them look more attractive. I don’t know if you ever answered any of my questions. I check periodically and haven’t seen any replied. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks Cara…gracias Chula (this means Cutie).

Face Shapes | Maskcara
    December 3, 2013 at 3:10 pm

[…] Heart Oblong Rectangle/square Pear Oval […]

Boni
    March 4, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I am definitely an oblong/oval face shape with high cheek bones and a high forehead. I hate my high forehead, I always wear bangs, but I prefer bangs anyway. I know this girl who said she was tired of looking like Pocahontas and was going to “bring the heat” by getting bangs like me. 🙂 Her boyfriend doesn’t like her with bangs, though. He told her she doesn’t share my bone structure for it. I think everyone looks good in bangs! There’s lots of cool bang styles to suit a variety of faces, in my opinion.

Contouring for long lean faces | Maskcara
    July 30, 2014 at 7:49 pm

[…] have already mapped this out in my face shapes diagram but I know it’s much easier to see it demonstrated on […]

Sandy
    July 31, 2014 at 4:12 am

Omg! This was awesome- just tried the oblong and Cara I was contouring all wrong before!!! This looks sooo much better on my face and I kept bungling up how to contour the right way. You’re the best!!!!!!

Julie
    January 22, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I have hopes of fixing my too broad nose now! What a difference this made to Gisele! Her nose was transformed…

toms shoes singapore outlet
    August 16, 2015 at 8:28 am

toms singapore

cartier santos 100 or
    November 2, 2016 at 12:53 pm

cartier santos 100 or

Thank you for all the information was very accurate, just wondering if all this is possible.~

Hermes Birkin Replica
    November 4, 2016 at 6:48 am

Hermes Birkin Replica

Prevent thinking about these folks & obtain these folks. Really worth every dime![url=http://www.therrci.org]Birkin Bag Hermes[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Bags Outlet[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Birkin Replica[/url][url=http://w…

Hermes Outlet
    November 4, 2016 at 6:48 am

Hermes Outlet

Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it![url=http://www.therrci.org]Birkin Bag Hermes[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Bags Outlet[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Birkin Rep…

Hermes Handbags Outlet
    November 4, 2016 at 6:48 am

Hermes Handbags Outlet

I agree your opinion, Thank you for your post, Your post is very good.[url=http://www.therrci.org]Birkin Bag Hermes[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Bags Outlet[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Birkin Replica[/url][url=http://www.therrci.…

Hermes So Kelly Bag
    November 4, 2016 at 6:49 am

Hermes So Kelly Bag

I am going to share this with my facebook friends. Thanks a lot.[url=http://www.therrci.org]Birkin Bag Hermes[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Bags Outlet[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]Hermes Birkin Replica[/url][url=http://www.therrci.org]He…

Ellen
    February 4, 2017 at 11:14 am

What HAC brush would you use on an oblong face?

windowsupdate10
    February 16, 2017 at 7:54 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 39466 more Infos: maskcara.com/2013/11/06/hac-for-the-oblong/ […]

happyluke.com
    February 23, 2017 at 12:58 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2013/11/06/hac-for-the-oblong/ […]

best whatsapp status urdu
    March 2, 2017 at 10:46 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More Infos here: maskcara.com/2013/11/06/hac-for-the-oblong/ […]

clomid and nolvadex side effects
    March 3, 2017 at 6:51 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2013/11/06/hac-for-the-oblong/ […]

Firstrow
    March 9, 2017 at 11:56 am

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 31424 more Infos: maskcara.com/2013/11/06/hac-for-the-oblong/ […]

scr888 cheat
    March 11, 2017 at 10:08 am

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 29054 more Infos: maskcara.com/2013/11/06/hac-for-the-oblong/ […]

36 Best Contouring Tips and Tutorials - The Goddess
    April 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm

[…] maskcara […]

replique rolex oyster perpetual datejust occasion
    May 23, 2017 at 7:11 pm

replique rolex oyster perpetual datejust occasion

cartierlovejesduas There’s so much hideousness here that Carrie Underwood’s dumb shoes got a pass! Amber Heard (whoever she is) is the only one who looks good. But JLo is the best. She gives such great face that I laugh with delight every time I see he…

mink lashes
    July 14, 2017 at 10:20 am

mink lashes

At this time it seems like WordPress is the best blogging platform out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

imitation van cleef et arpels alhambra
    August 23, 2017 at 7:05 am

imitation van cleef et arpels alhambra

Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful article. Thank you for supplying these details.

replique bague cartier femme diamant
    September 5, 2017 at 9:11 pm

replique bague cartier femme diamant

cartierbraceletlove Omg yes, please deport social justice warriors to poor countries. We have too many of those freaks and now they’re writing our laws.

prix bracelet cartier replique
    September 13, 2017 at 10:20 pm

prix bracelet cartier replique

I”ve never heard of zucchini pickles either but holy cow I’m excited!  This is genius!!  Oh thank you for sharing

賓果賓果app
    September 26, 2017 at 11:04 am

賓果賓果app

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam feedback? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any support…

賓果賓果玩法
    September 26, 2017 at 11:05 am

賓果賓果玩法

I have recently started a web site, the information you provide on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

賓果賓果卡片
    September 26, 2017 at 11:06 am

賓果賓果卡片

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content for you personally? I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot of the sub…

超級賓果賓果
    September 26, 2017 at 11:07 am

超級賓果賓果

Hi there, You have done a great job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

賓果賓果機率算法
    September 26, 2017 at 11:07 am

賓果賓果機率算法

Nice read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch since I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

賓果賓果程式
    September 26, 2017 at 11:08 am

賓果賓果程式

Great work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the internet. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my web site . Thanks =)

賓果賓果數字產生器
    September 26, 2017 at 11:08 am

賓果賓果數字產生器

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Excellent work!

台彩賓果賓果
    September 26, 2017 at 11:10 am

台彩賓果賓果

You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

賓果賓果機率算法
    September 26, 2017 at 11:10 am

賓果賓果機率算法

Wow! This could be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Fantastic. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work.

賓果賓果卡下載
    September 26, 2017 at 11:10 am

賓果賓果卡下載

I am just commenting to make you understand what a nice discovery my cousin’s princess undergone studying yuor web blog. She picked up lots of pieces, most notably how it is like to possess a wonderful teaching nature to make other folks really easily…

賓果賓果猜大小
    September 26, 2017 at 11:11 am

賓果賓果猜大小

You could certainly see your expertise in the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.

賓果賓果機台
    September 26, 2017 at 11:11 am

賓果賓果機台

It laborious to find knowledgeable people on this subject, however you sound like you know what youe speaking about! Thanks

台彩賓果賓果
    September 26, 2017 at 11:12 am

台彩賓果賓果

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely excellent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you st…

賓果賓果程式
    September 26, 2017 at 11:12 am

賓果賓果程式

Awesome blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable indi…

click this over here now
    November 28, 2017 at 10:25 am

click this over here now

the travel packages that i have seen on the internet are sometimes oversold, they are cheap yet the inclusions sucks..