HAC Makeup

HAC for the HEART

Today we gon talk about those lovely heart shaped faces.
The way I see it, heart shaped faces are similar to round faces (the length of your cheekbones at their widest are similar to the length of your face) and your features are rounded but the main difference is that your chin is comparatively narrow to the rest of the face.
What’s great about having a heart shaped face?
Well besides the obvious reason that hearts are awesome, your narrow chin frames your mouth beautifully. There is also a sweetness and innocence that no other face shape can compete with.
Also, you’re in great company: Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington, and Scarlett Johansson. Not too shabby!

Contouring for a heart shaped face!

Main difference for your shape: I focused the majority of the contouring foundation on the widest part of the face but kept it out of the chin area, and highlight foundation there instead.

November 5, 2013 at 4:13 am

Love it. Can’t wait for u to do an oval shaped face!

Jessica Rose
    November 5, 2013 at 4:17 am

Really great tips. I have an oval shape too…so like Karen I can’t wait

November 5, 2013 at 4:20 am

Loving this mini-series on HAC! So eager for the OVALS!

November 5, 2013 at 4:24 am

Awesomeness! I am a square shape, kinda like Angelina Jolie, same sort of bone structure. Wish I had her features though!! Cannot wait for HAC for us square girls! :)Thank you for everything, love your blog.

November 5, 2013 at 4:28 am

Such great tips, thanks! I’m so bad at contouring for the moment so i will take any piece of advice I can get, hoping I finally get better 😛

Melody Lesser
    November 5, 2013 at 4:49 am

This is awesome! Can you suggest HAC for deep set eyes that, due to aging, are sunken. No puffiness – which I think is easier to improve the appearance of with cosmetics, than sunken eyes. My very high cheekbones seem to be swallowing my eyes now that I’m getting older. If other of your readers have this issue, perhaps you can post some suggestions … (I’d love to share your ideas for this, with full attribution and links, of course, on my website, if that’s ok with you.)

November 5, 2013 at 9:46 am

This is a really good subject! Thanks Melody! I’ll totally post on it!

Melody Lesser
        November 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Thank you Cara! You’re terrific. I love the site and all of your tips!

November 5, 2013 at 5:05 am

Very helpful! Is that Selena Gomez???

November 5, 2013 at 9:47 am

November 5, 2013 at 5:47 am

I think you mean Kerry Washington? And Scarlett Johansson

November 5, 2013 at 9:46 am

haha thank you! I knew Carrie looked wrong but google didn’t correct me!

November 5, 2013 at 6:00 am

Laurence King
    November 5, 2013 at 6:23 am

Love it! Cara, what do you do to prevent your highlighter/concealer from creasing around the eyes? Thanks as always xo

Catie Boerschlein
    November 5, 2013 at 6:24 am

So happy you posted a heart shaped face hack, i have a heart shaped faced and i cant wait to try this !

November 5, 2013 at 6:26 am

How do we pick a contouring foundation?

November 5, 2013 at 6:46 am

Yay! Any suggestions for HAC-ing freckled faces? 🙂

November 5, 2013 at 6:51 am

love this! I was having such a hard time HACing…. I don’t have the right colors figured out… but now I’ve got the configuration! I really hated wasting make-up practicing and looking like a dirty faced child! 🙂

November 5, 2013 at 6:55 am

Can I just send you a picture of me and you tell me what type of face shape I have, I am 48 and am having a hard time telling

November 5, 2013 at 7:03 am

Ok. What if your naturally a heart shape – but your fat so your extra chins turn it into a round? Which do you do?

Anna R
    November 5, 2013 at 8:54 am

Loving this miniseries! I have a heart shaped face, but when I HAC, I actually highlight just the point of my chin – only because I actually LOVE the structure of my face :))))))

November 5, 2013 at 10:25 am

Cara!! Love it!! Quick question…it looks like you have the contour going almost to the mouth, but I have really big/deep dimples so I feel like it makes them look weird/deeper if I contour by them. But if I just go down the outer edges of my face, I don’t feel like it helps my cheekbones as much… any advice?

November 5, 2013 at 10:37 am

Christie Brinkley had *has) the most classic heart-shaped face. She looked like a Valentine in her youth and has managed to stay cute. I loved when you made up your Mom. As I age, I’m having less fun with make-up. It was easy at twenty…what should I do. if anything, for contouring?

November 5, 2013 at 10:43 am

I have a heart shaped face, thanks so much for the info. What foundations do you recommend for very very dry skin. Every foundation I attempt, seems to look even dryer after applied.

Melissa Gaines (@melGmow)
    November 5, 2013 at 11:19 am

Interesting you said it was similar to round faces since mine was very round when I carried more weight in my 20’s in my face now 42 it has lost some fat and gained a whole new shape. However, my chin is very pointy and the width of my cheek bones can make me look like the joker when I smile.

November 5, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Excited for when you do the square shaped face.

November 5, 2013 at 8:11 pm

This is AWESOME! I have a heart shaped face and have been waiting for this! I love the make up colors you use for yourself but I am never sure if they will look as nicely on me. What tone of skin would you consider for yourself? I am a little Native American… I wouldn’t say that I have dark skin but its on the browner tone over olive colored. I just want to know if the colors you use will match on me… Thanks!

November 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Cara you are truly inspiring…can you please see what to do for a long face with a long nose!!
    thank you!

April McHenry
    November 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

I was in a total makeup funk and this is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you SOOOO much. Feeling much better about my makeup (and myself) today!

November 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I have a complexion like Selina Gomez, darker, I guess kind of olive? I’m half black half white. What kind of bronzer would fit me?? I am using the it cosmetics vitality disc at the moment (https://www.itcosmetics.com/vitality-face-disc). The bronzer is not very dark on my skin tho. I think I need something a lot darker? I think I need something cooler toned too. Help! Also what do you do when your taupe runs out in your Lorac palette??

Jessica Forsyth
    November 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Is this the same as a diamond shape? I don’t know how to HAC my face! :S

November 6, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Apparently I have a heart shape face!

Sparkles and Shoes

November 6, 2013 at 8:27 pm

This totally makes sense! I am a classic heart, and I get how I should adjust my HAC routine (which I learned from reading your blog). Thank you for this very helpful. specific advice. I printed out the “face map” and will try it tomorrow! Thanks, Cara!

Rachel Lauren
    November 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm

If I am heart but have cheekbones that can look pretty gaunt, should I follow the the oblong face just for the cheek part?

November 6, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Querida Cara, great demonstration with one of my favorite young singers. It does make such a difference where the light and dark goes on a person’s face. I must confess that since I started reading your blog, or becoming a blog-groupie, I have also been hanging out at the local Sephora’s more asking question after little question. It seems to me also that I am wearing more make up that ever before. Whew! I all girlie and still I get a lil tired. It would be wonderful to have your skill set to make the art of looking beautiful easier and easier to understand (for my face). Will you be doing Oval Faces? I think this is the shape of my cars. BTW, if anyone is interested, I purchased the Marc Jacob concealer pen…first it is extremely pigmented, which is great. And for my poor little under eye bag, it is not doing the trick. Part of the problem is when a person clicks the pen for more concealer, more than I need comes out and then I find my eyes overwhelmed with concealer that hasn’t been offering full coverage. Also it’s pricey. Can you recommend a concealer that is good for puffiness, bags under the eyes.

Gracias Chula.

November 7, 2013 at 7:20 am

I studied this post for a couple days and followed it this morning and – WOAH. It made the world of difference! I had been following your HAC placement recommendations from your HAC video, but following the placement that you demonstrated on Selena makes it look soooooooooooooo much better on my heart-shaped face. When I was all done, I was looking in the mirror thinking, “I look so put together! Thank the Lord for Cara Brook!”

You rock. Thanks for this mini-series. Placement of HAC makes all the difference in the world.

November 11, 2013 at 7:07 am

For the longest time I thought I had a round face, because that’s what I had been told my whole life by my mother. But this post opened my eyes- I am actually a Heart-Shaped face, and I’ve been doing it all wrong! I was always afraid to HAC because when I tried it looked goofy.Thank you so much for this mini-series. Now I know I’ve been doing it wrong, because I’ve thought I was the wrong face shape! You rock!

November 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm

awesome tips.
    I like your make up tutorials very much.
    gonna come again 🙂

Face Shapes | Maskcara
    December 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm

[…] Heart Oblong Rectangle/square Pear Oval […]

Hannah Baartmans
    December 13, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Hey Cara, quick question for the Heart shaped girls- it’s hard to tell from the diagram but should we still contour under the jawline or should we skip that because our chins are more pronounced and just focus the contour on cheekbones and the forehead? Thanks for all your help! Your blog is truly incredible!