HAC Makeup

HAC {round faces}

I’ve always known that HAC-ing could and should be different depending on your face shape, but it’s only been recently that I have really delved into it.
Where I used to go on autopilot with my HAC, the last few months I’ve payed close attention to the individual face shapes and placed the colors accordingly.
If you don’t know what face shape you have there are a variety of ways to measure your face and yada yada but I like to think it’s a little more simple than that….

Let’s start by identifying round faces:
If the length of your cheekbones at their widest are similar to the length of your face and you have a rounded jawline/chin this post is for you, and your beautiful round face!
What’s great about having a round face?
Full cheeks are gorgeous and very youthful, so you can plan on aging gracefully.
A soft rounded jawline is sweet and feminine.
You’re in good company! Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams and Cameron Diaz are all rocking’ the round with ya.
Here is a diagram showing where to get the best use out of your HAC-ing (or your IIID foundation as soon as you get it!:)

As I post the rest of the shapes the differences in each application will probably be more apparent, then I’ll do a wrap up video where I show you each application step by step. Also, if by the end you’re still clueless on what your face shape is, I have something planned for you as well so don’t panic!

Hope you had a lovely weekend!

Molly Tobin
    November 4, 2013 at 4:51 am

Cara, thank you so much for this post! I feel so lost with the HAC method and my round face! This helps so much!

November 4, 2013 at 5:05 am

Would you be able to do a video on contouring for round faces? Thank you so much for this post, so helpful!

November 4, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I second this request! =)

November 5, 2013 at 12:54 am

TOTALLY GONNA! 🙂

November 4, 2013 at 5:06 am

I think I’m heart shaped . When will you release your tutorial for this shaped face? I’m new to using bronzer. Thanks:)

November 5, 2013 at 12:56 am

November 4, 2013 at 5:15 am

Just recently found your site and videos…..WOW! You have blown my mind. I am 42 and have never been shown how to put on makeup. Turns out I’ve been putting the bronzer on all the places you put highlighter! lol. Been rocking your techniques for a week now and have gotten so many compliments. Better yet, looking in the mirror has been nothing short of FANTASTIC. For a mom who feels like she’s lost her mojo in the past few, this has been the biggest blessing! So many thanks…seriously, there just aren’t words…. 🙂

November 5, 2013 at 12:58 am

SO glad you are looking and feeling beautiful:) Thank you so much for writing this, you made my day!

November 4, 2013 at 5:42 am

Love this! I have a round shape face and never know if I’m contouring and highlighting properly! Thanks you so much 🙂 xoxoxo Have a great day pretty girl

November 4, 2013 at 5:55 am

Ooh, this will definitely change my highlight and blush placement. I’ve never gotten the hang of contouring, though.

November 5, 2013 at 1:00 am

It’s cause you don’t have the right stuff!! I swear fair skin is impossible to contour without the PERFECT color:)

caroline [the diy nurse]
    November 4, 2013 at 6:03 am

I’m liking this mini series! Patiently waiting for the oval [I’m pretty sure that’s what I am lol] 😉

[email protected]
    November 4, 2013 at 6:49 am

Cara, I am so excited for this!! Yea!

November 4, 2013 at 7:14 am

Thanks! Hate my round face! Headshots always make me look like I am 30 pounds heavier than I am.

November 4, 2013 at 8:47 am

Man this is how I feel too, so I was super happy to see this post 🙂

November 4, 2013 at 7:18 am

I know you described it but could you do a HAC for different noses? Such as a Gisel nose, one thats long. Or a sloped nose. I just know the typical shadowing you typically do does not go well with my nose, which is more pointing but thin like Megan Fox

November 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

I think we have the same nose!!

November 5, 2013 at 1:00 am

Totally love this idea, I’m on it!

Rachel S
    November 4, 2013 at 7:42 am

Are you ever going to publish your post on common HACing mistakes people make? You had talked about doing that awhile ago and I’ve been patiently waiting! I hope it’s coming soon!

November 5, 2013 at 1:06 am

YES! so sorry I’ve taken so long on that, I started realizing how many of the issues could be first addressed by face shapes. Promise once this is done I’ll get back to it!

Laurence King
    November 4, 2013 at 7:48 am

Great post, Cara! Looking forward to your follow-up posts so I can find the right technique for the shape of my face. XOXO

Karen Lin
    November 4, 2013 at 8:26 am

Please do one for oblong face shapes!! And long narrow noses. Thank you! 🙂

November 5, 2013 at 9:16 am

I second this! I have an oblong face shape, and I absolutely hate it. 🙁

The Inspire List
    November 4, 2013 at 8:43 am

Cara, you are such a BABE with the contouring! I’m still getting to grips with it, and it never looks anywhere near as good as when you get down to it, but I’m excited to get practicing with my face shape. Looking forward to seeing the post on how to identify your face shape as I have no idea, maybe oval…? Thank you xx

November 4, 2013 at 10:05 am

I love your blog! What font did you use for the word “faces”?

November 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

I stumbled upon your site and love your posts! A lot of them out there seem like the person is so fake, and show you pretty much the same look…tons of makeup! I had no clue how to do makeup, and am so grateful you share your talent and knowledge..for free even! I’m in the same boat as Betsy..putting colors in all the wrong places. Thanks again and can’t wait to see your post on the “long” face shape.

November 4, 2013 at 10:31 am

I’ve been waiting for you to do this and can’t wait for you to post my shape. Thank you so much!

November 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

Love this! I can’t wait to see your other tutorials on correct HACing for your specific face shape! I have a slender face, so I’m always confused on whether or not I should HAC to the extent that others do. I love to highlight, but I don’t know if I should contour and make my face appear to have less volume than it already has. 🙂

Denise Osborne
    November 4, 2013 at 11:35 am

Thank you so much! I have been looking for this info. forever and there it was today in my email. You rock!

November 4, 2013 at 11:48 am

This is so awesome!! Cannot wait for the oblong face tutorial.

Could you also add a tutorial for gaunt/thin faces? When I do ‘traditional’ HACing, it makes my face look even older. Some tips on adding fullness would be so appreciated.

You are an angel! Thank you!

November 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

Yeah, I’m only 25 but I always feel like I look 10 years older when I HAC. I hope Cara can save us!!

November 4, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Love this! I have been waiting SO LONG to see how to HAC a round face! Do you have any specifc products that you recommend for the highlighting and contouring? I have been using Cliniques bronzer and Laura Merciers concealer but I wanted to know what you recommend.

November 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Wow! That was amazing! That girl is beautiful!

November 7, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Angela, that girl is Kirsten Dunst. 🙂

November 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Cara, you are so wonderful! I adore your sweet-natured attitude about the beauty of all women…you definitely make me feel better about my own round face (and inspired to go HAC it!). Thank you!

November 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I love you blog and have picked up so many tips from it and I think I actually look better for it. Thank you! Now, please,please do the HAC for long faces that are angular. I am NOT aging gracefully and could use tips for hair also…LOVE your blog!!

November 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I am new to your blog, but already have learned so much. Thanks for this. As an unhappy about my round face girl, this gives me hope!

November 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm

OH my gosh please do this for us skinny face girls!

Emerald Earrings
    November 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I’ve always kinda felt like my face is somehow fits ALL of the shapes. I have no idea what that means. haha. Can’t wait to see all of your posts!

November 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I can’t tell you how helpful this is. Gah! I have a round face and very long and pointy nose, and I’ve been struggling with how to make it all go together! Thank you =)

November 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Cara, this is such a great idea. I am in love with it also. I noted that your husband’s birthday is almost five days after mine, Oct.28th…I celebrated on Sunday and Monday of that week. Last year, there was no celebrating due to the Hurricane we had going on over here on the east coast. If I were to pick my happiness/gratitude list, it would go something like this: I am happy for Johnie who didn’t forget me, took me to great restaurants in order to celebrate the big 5-0. I agree it feels good to have a place in some one’s heart, to be a special part of a family, yet there’s a lesson that out there, one that I’ve learned, when family’s not around, it up to me to love myself through and through. I would have been okay being alone like I am on most of my b-days…yet it was lovely that Johnie planned to make me smile on two & not one night.

becky hardin
    November 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm

this is awesome! and so helpful! thank you cara!

November 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Thank you so very much for this!

Jessica Lee Hart
    November 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I’m not sure of my face shape but, I love this post!

The Way to My Hart

Lucy APotOfVintage
    November 4, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I really need to get to grips with my face shape, love this post it really helps. Followed you on bloglovin please follow me back http://apotofvintageplease.blogspot.co.uk/

November 4, 2013 at 3:44 pm

just found your blog today think I sat here for 3 hours and read as much as I can lol

November 4, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I love this. I’m looking forward to the video! For a while, I thought I had a round face, but then I started measuring and looking at guides and I figured out my shape is just “normal.” Not really round or oval. Not a good or bad thing…just a reminder that we’re all soooo different.

November 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for this. Looking forward to the video!
    Question: how can I avoid making my face look “dirty”? I know this can happen with the wrong color contour, but it seems like it could also happen if the darker color is more on the “surface” of the face, as it is in the round highlighting image shown above. With most contouring, the darker color is in the angles. With a round face, it’s right there looking directly out.

November 4, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Wow that’s amazing how much a difference it makes! You are so talented!

November 4, 2013 at 8:52 pm

This is the best article I have read about finding your face shape. I was always unsure what my face shape was, but I discovered that I am a hybrid between a heart shape and a square shape! This link is super super helpful if you aren’t sure what your face shape is.

cindy dee
    November 4, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I love your posts and look forward to them and love this on hac ing as it is always confusing to me.

I can’t wait to get your make up line please let us know when its ready. I’m in vegas soon if you have it

ready to purchase. Thanks Cara and keep it up, I think you have found your calling and your make up

line will be like Bobby Brown and all the other great line out there.

November 5, 2013 at 1:49 am

Love the diagram!

November 5, 2013 at 5:59 am

what a lovely post and great easy-to-follow diagram. also a great idea for a series and will definitley help a lot of ladies out there 🙂

xx rae

November 5, 2013 at 8:23 am

Love this post and your blog! I also wanted to compliment you on your graphical design skills – always interesting visuals on your site! My question is do you use Photoshop to create them or some other program (if you do not mind sharing this info of course)?

November 5, 2013 at 10:41 am

I don’t understand how to apply that much contour color without looking muddy or making my face darker than my body because ont the diagram the contour color cover almost all of her cheeks. I really don’t get this round face countouring. Could you do a video tutorial? And what specific brush should I use for blending everything toghether.

November 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Thank you! I have a very round face (I’m talking pumpkin head round). Would love to see a video. Am also interested in lighting and lighted makeup mirrors. At home, it looks like my eyebrows are sparse. When I get in the car, I’m rocking a Brooke Shields. And that’s with no eyebrow pencil. Help!

November 6, 2013 at 7:32 am

Thanks Cara! Loved this. Any tips on ensuring we don’t create a makeup line/demarcation at the jawline since we are HACing on the sides to lessen the fullness of a round face? I tried your method this morning but then I felt like my neck no longer matched my face. Maybe I’m applying too much b/c I use a pretty light bronzer for my very fair skin. Thanks!!

Wake Up for MakeupHighlighting and Contouring » Wake Up for Makeup
    November 6, 2013 at 8:34 pm

[…] check out this awesome post about contouring rounded faces like mine from the amazing […]

Gretchen Joy
    November 7, 2013 at 6:52 am

I’m with the girls above on wanting to see a HAC video for round faces! 🙂

And I also wanted to ask if you would do this the same way if you were wearing your hair up. Sometimes I feel like people can “see” my contouring… but then I notice when I don’t have any makeup on that the natural shadow near my cheekbone is always visible, so it is OK and good for my contouring to show and that that is the point… but then I get freaked out.

And I again second Rachel above, I am always scared about HACing my jaw line to give more shape to my face and less of a double chin look, but always feel like it doesn’t match my neck or just can look weird and obvious.

We love you, our fearless makeup leader!!!! Can’t wait to get my hands on the Maskcara line!

November 7, 2013 at 8:49 am

This makes it so much easier. Love to see a video on how to do it. Also even a sketch that could be printed would be great to hang in the bathroom for us slow learners 🙂

Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is
    November 9, 2013 at 4:12 am

[…] whole series on highlighting and contouring different face shapes. she knows her […]

November 9, 2013 at 8:28 am

Damn girl, you’ve just opened up a whole new world for me. Thank you so much! Congrats on your makeup line I’m so excited for you! Hopefully girls outside of the US will be able to get their hands on it as well. xo

Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease
    November 9, 2013 at 5:57 pm

November 10, 2013 at 6:27 pm

These are great! I absolutely love your blog and look forward to reading it. Are you going to do a HAC for square faces, though?

Bonnie Rescignano
    November 12, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I started reading your blog two weeks ago. I now own more makeup than I have ever owned–it’s fun. Tonight I took my time and and applied it to the best of my limited ability. OMG, compliments galore. Did I get my eyes done, did I get new lipstick, I look so rested. Bought some of this stuff for my flight attendant daughter (she will be 43 on Saturday and is pretty savvy with make up) and can’t wait to give it to her. For once I’ll get to be the trend setter in this family. Love the Watts Up, it takes years off. Thank you so much. I just feel more put together.

November 20, 2013 at 6:24 am

Thank you so much for doing this round face tutorial! As a round faced lady, I have yet to find my stride as far as playing up my best features. This sure helps!

November 27, 2013 at 8:59 pm

How do you know what shade to use for contouring? how much darker and how do you avoid your face not matching your neck etc

November 29, 2013 at 11:38 am

Before I first saw the article about contouring on your site I just kind of winged it as far as makeup went. I would sometimes get compliments on eye shadow or something so I thought I was doing okay. When I tried incorporating the HAC technique I had a few failed attempts at first (dirty looking cheeks, etc), but I realized that, aside from needing the correct shades, it wasn’t looking right because the lines I was following didn’t match the contours of my own face.

One day I really looked at my face and tried to follow my natural shape, accenting some shadows and blending others. Since then I have basically been using the pattern shown here but personalized, and the difference is so subtle and yet so amazing. The other one of my clients just kept looking at me until she finally said, “Wow, I love your makeup, you look like a model. It’s like your face is glowing.” I’m far from a model, so that was quite the compliment, and all because of HAC-ing!

I am ridiculously excited about the HAC pack and plan on ordering it asap! Thank you for all of your wonderful advice and hard work, I love it all! (:

December 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm

A friend shared your site with me. Thanks. I thought I knew somewhat and that was enough. Through out the years I held onto my money and looked the other way when tempted. But I am finding easy ways to make it look like the real deal!

Here is my request. I have what is looking like a permanent shape change. It is called a Moon Face in my neck of the medical woods. After water retention and fat cells PERMANENTLY replaced on the face, torso, NECK and back, giving a buffalo hump- let’s say there is a lot of contouring needed.

Can you look up Moon Face and Prednisone and then give a tutorial on what you think would help us.

I won’t make you do a buffalo hump and prednisone or cushings disease google- the amount of make-up involved…. it could get pricey. ha, ha, hm. kidding. But it is painful to change and lose your face to something and have to discover beauty again!

January 7, 2015 at 11:19 am

I’ve enjoyed your posts for quite awhile now, you are so down to earth. Today is the first time I’ve taken the time to watch videos though. I haven’t found a video of you HACing a round face. Am I just not seeing it? I’d love to see you work your magic on one. Thanks!