Before & Afters Makeup

Makeover Monday

First of all I wanted to thank everyone who came to the Pinners Conference! I am still on a high from the excitement of meeting so many internet friends in person. I hated making some of you wait in line so long for the makeovers but am incredibly grateful that you did. My mom and I talked about you guys all weekend, just reveling in the caliber of women we met. I absolutely loved it.
Also to everyone who commented on my last post, I can’t tell you how much it means to have that kind of support. I’ve was filled with a warm feeling since it posted. I can truly feel the love coming out of my computer and I hope you can feel mine back.
How did I get so lucky to have such amazingly kind and supportive women around me? Thank you a million times!

OK enough with the gushing and on to the makeover monday…which happens to be on a Tuesday because someone left her computer power cord somewhere in Salt Lake and didn’t realize it until last night.
This is Shelly – mother of two, incredibly hard working and sweet. She is very pretty in both photos but can you beleive how much confidence she exudes in the second one? That’s my favorite part…well and her eyes. Just look at that sparkle.

What I did:

She was wanting to have more color so I spritzed on some Tomas Spray Tan, which smells like sweet citrus and takes about 5 seconds. It’s awesome.
Then I blended in some Maskcara IIID Foundation as her HAC and coverage. Using Sunlit and Stone & IID blush in Dahlia.
For her eyes I blended some sandstone into her crease and lined the outer half of her upper lash with Ebony {both from the Stila in the Light Palette)  and added some mascara.
Filled in her brows with Anastasia Brow Genius in Brunette.
Lined her lips with NYX Taupe and blended it in with Lip Tar in Hush.
Then set her makeup with a touch of bronzing powder and UD Setting Spray.

Kim Sugars
    October 29, 2013 at 4:38 am

Gorgeous! Her eyes are poppin! Looks very natural and brings out her features along with her looking younger, bravo!

October 29, 2013 at 4:41 am

WOW! What an incredible difference. I particularly like that its such a low key, natural look. Just highlighting her features. Also, she looks a bit like Ginnifer Goodwin in the second photo.

October 29, 2013 at 12:18 pm

whoa, i totally see it!! the ginny goodwin resemblance!

Kelly Lord
      October 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I also thinks she looks like Ginnifer Goodwin! So pretty!

October 30, 2013 at 4:07 am

I definitily see it now, but my first impression was more Julianne Hough in Safe Haven! Either one I would kill to resemble, so kudos! 🙂

Lisa Scott Provost
    October 29, 2013 at 4:46 am

Dang, mama got fierce! She’s gorgeous. And not a bit makeuppy, which is awesome for everyday. HAWT everyday!

…aaand, now I am pretty sure I will be a medium in IIID. I’ve really needed to know. Just saying.

October 29, 2013 at 4:57 am

Wow! The HACking is so subtle and gorgeous! Thank you so so very much for those Monday Makeovers, you make me realize that every woman, (and ME too!) is beautiful and with the right tools can look as good as any celebrity out there. And knowing this, my dear Cara, is very empowering and just boosted my self confidence through the roof! I owe you tons, now <3

October 29, 2013 at 5:16 am

I LOVE this! I love all of your smokey eye makeovers of course, but I also love when you show how talented you are at bringing out natural beauty. She is gorgeous! (:

verna czajkoski
    October 29, 2013 at 5:18 am

She looks beautiful! I love that it is so natural. I am 67 years young and love this blog! Can’t wait for the makeup!

October 29, 2013 at 5:21 am

Gorgeous! Beautiful work Cara!

October 29, 2013 at 5:22 am

Love it! I love that you can bring out everyone’s inner beauty by giving them confidence. Serious talent. Thanks for sharing and I’m so excited for your new makeup line!!

October 29, 2013 at 5:32 am

Love it! This is perfect for me, I have the same eyelid shape and I’m never happy with my eye makeup. Smokey eye makeup makes me look tired – this is natural and beautiful. Thank you!

October 29, 2013 at 5:52 am

I love that she looks so natural – and STILL has the same hair, clothing and facial expression. Many before and after pix show a droopy sad face in the before, and afterwards shows a big smile that looks like they won Lotto! This shows the difference the makeup/choices and the wonderful job you did! Beautiful work. (big smile)

October 29, 2013 at 5:56 am

Stunning! I love the no makeup makeup look! Thanks for sharing your awesomeness Cara 🙂

October 29, 2013 at 5:58 am

So with the HAC do you not need to set it with powder? What abt concealer?

October 29, 2013 at 6:10 am

Diane lahr
    October 29, 2013 at 6:13 am

Could you please do a viedo on how to apply the spray tan product to the face?

Beth Graves
    October 29, 2013 at 6:17 am

Absolutely beautiful make over, I can only dream of getting a make over by you!!

October 29, 2013 at 6:50 am

Wow what a great makeover!

Kristin Cahoon Bell
    October 29, 2013 at 7:14 am

Gorgeous! Finding your blog has gotten me excited about makeup again…..I just wish I could come to your house and have you do it 🙂

October 29, 2013 at 7:19 am

Beautiful! She radiates from within!

October 29, 2013 at 7:29 am

Wow! You’re right she is incredibly beautiful with and without makeup, but makeup just makes her face come to life!!! I love how with just some simple techniques that hooded lid women can look just as beautiful as women with a full lid to work with 🙂

October 29, 2013 at 7:50 am

Love this makeover! It looks so natural and beautiful. She has gorg eyes!! You can tell she’s workin’ it in the “After” pic – she just looks like she knows she’s sexy. Love it! You’re right – the makeup is so pretty, but the best part is how confident she is in her After pic. I love that you can do that to people. 🙂

October 29, 2013 at 7:52 am

You did a goddamn good job!

Carol Thalmann
    October 29, 2013 at 8:12 am

She looks great! So sad i wasn’t able to go to Pinner’s. I really need my own makeover.

October 29, 2013 at 8:22 am

Thia makeover is SO good! I love that it’s such a natural, understated look but it makes a world of a difference! LOVE!

October 29, 2013 at 8:24 am

I can’t wait for your MaskCara line to be available. Are you going to do a video on your product and explain the shades. it thought I would be medium but, I think now I may be the darker shade.

October 29, 2013 at 9:26 am

I was thinking the same thing about shades. Please do explain so we know which color to do with your awesome line!

October 29, 2013 at 8:40 am

Congrats Cara on starting your own makeup line so exciting and happy for you! Beautiful as always on the makeover, love, love, the neutral shades you used!<3

Rachell pilarski
    October 29, 2013 at 9:28 am

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Love the difference the make up made yet still Looks natural and not at all overdone!

October 29, 2013 at 9:31 am

How did you get so lucky? You deserve it of course. I love this makeover. She looks the same, just even more beautiful. It’s very subtle yet profound. Well done.

October 29, 2013 at 9:51 am

Absolutely amazing!

October 29, 2013 at 10:20 am

AMAZING eyes and skin! You do such a great job of playing up people’s features!

October 29, 2013 at 10:36 am

I wish I had someone show me the basics of makeup. I never learned and haven’t ever bothered with it. But somedays I feel it would be nice to look a little prettier :). Lovely blog.

October 29, 2013 at 10:39 am

she looks amazing! I really want to order you makeup when it’s available. I’m just nervous about which shades to order. I have freckles, so it always seems really hard to get my face makeup just right. Any tips on freckles?

October 29, 2013 at 11:04 am

I was about to post that she resembles Ginnifer Goodwin! Beautiful makeover.

Robin C
    October 29, 2013 at 11:10 am

Love, love, love the HAC, as always. Yes, you can see a definite spark of confidence in her beautiful eyes. Another make-over well done, Cara. Thank you!!

October 29, 2013 at 11:30 am

I love this makeup look! In the future would it be possible to add an “after” photo where their eye are closed so we can see how to apply to eye makeup to achieve this affect? I’m more of a visual learner. More video please!!!!!!!

[email protected]
    October 29, 2013 at 11:51 am

You are absolutely amazing Cara. The look is so natural and fresh. I LOVE your touch!! You rock. How can I do this…yes video!!!

October 29, 2013 at 12:15 pm

hi cara, i have a question about toma’s. i bought it after cruising your blog for a while (and love it!) and i’ve read/watched your posts on self-tanning, something i can’t seem to figure out for the toma’s spray specifically is when you apply it? do you spray it right onto a clean/moisturized face and decolletage, wait for it to dry a little, and then go to town with makeup right then and there? for a makeover like this, it seems like you just spritzed it right before doing the makeup. i just want to make sure i’m using it right- i did feel slightly strange applying primer, foundation, etc, on top of the fresh spray tan the other night, even once it had dried!

October 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Wow! You really did a great job!!!!!! I’m going to have to come out to Vegas for a makeover!!

October 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm

She is literally glowing! If I can get my skin to look like that with your makeup I am a sure sell 🙂 Along with some of the other comments, can you go into more detail about the Tomas tanning stuff and also sounds like a lot of us would love more detail about the shades of your foundation! Thanks!

Valeria Mary
    October 29, 2013 at 1:22 pm

She looks BEAUTIFUL ♥

-Valeria Mary. ♥

October 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I CANNOT wait for your makeup to be available! It looks so gorgeous on her…SO EXCITED! CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She looks beautiful!

Emily Horton
    October 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Shut up!!!! What an amazing transformation
    She looks absolutely gorgeous!!

October 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I am so impressed. I can’t wait for your line!!!!

October 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I have been devouring your blog since I heard about you in Allure. You are amazing and so sweet! I have gotten so many good tips from you (my favourite are your eye makeup tutorials). I am a believer in your HAC techniques but still too intimidated to try (although I have been using the Maybelline Lumi concealer strategically which I think makes my makeup look nice and glowy). Looking forward to buying your makeup! Congrats on your success!

October 29, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Oh wow the foundation IIID looks sooooo good I can’t wait for the preorder I am so excited!!!

October 29, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Wow, I love the way you highlighted her features without covering them up. Gorgeous! I was thinking she looks a lot like Diana Gabaldon the author. 🙂 Thanks!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    October 29, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Love love love it 🙂 Also how awesome is it that you are going to the Victoria’s Secret Fashion show?!!!

Dana R
    October 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm

This has got to be your best yet! I showed my husband and even he was impressed! Amaaazing job!

October 29, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Wow! She looks so natural and glowing, what an awesome makeover! I’m new to the beauty blogging world, so thought I’d get inspired by the best in the industry. I’m a lawyer by day but work for a start up beauty app called Pretty in my Pocket on the side. We were featured in the Zoe Report and Allure recently and couldn’t be more stoked! Please check us out!

October 29, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Love this look and it helps me to know the colors I will need as I have skin this light and her green eye color, dark hair!

October 29, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I was just going to say she looks just like ginnifer goodwin but I see that has already been pointed out. Just beautiful!

October 29, 2013 at 10:39 pm

You did an amazing Job and she still looks so natural 🙂 Love it !!!!

October 30, 2013 at 10:12 am

Wow, that little bit of extra color really makes her just glow! Cara, I’ve noticed that you almost always do a nude lip on your makeovers. I would love to see a post on which nudes are best for different skintones. You have a knack for choosing just the right shade to soften a face. I have fair skin, but an olive undertone and the pinky shades most people recommend look awful on me!

October 30, 2013 at 11:35 am

Yes! I would love to know your fave nude lip colors for different skin tones. Also, could you possibly do a makeover on someone with deep set eyes please? Love the makeover!

October 30, 2013 at 11:38 am

Ooh! I second the deep-set eyes request- I have those and I am so jealous of women with lots of visible lid, makes for such a pretty canvas! I’ll have to go back through past makeovers and tutorials for this- I bet Cara has done a makeover on SOMEONE with deep-set eyes- but in any case, I’d love to see more 🙂

October 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm

She looks so pretty – wonderful makeover! I do have one request though, and maybe a slight complaint…but only in the most positive way!! I adore your site and tutorials but I’ve noticed that you almost always use self-tanner in your tutorials. While I have nothing against it – I sometimes use it – I would love to see a tutorial where you use the persons natural skin tone. Specifically someone with a pale skin – I am a very fair/porcelain gal myself and it’s hard for me to recreate looks because I don’t know what colors, shades and techniques to use! Thanks so much 🙂

October 30, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Amazing! I can’t believe what a big difference the eyebrows make. Ever since I started following your blog I’ve been admittedly practically obsessed with trying to fix/shape my own eyebrows (still working on it!). All your makeover Mondays show what a big difference they make! You need to have another photoshop eyebrow fixing post!

October 30, 2013 at 7:10 pm

She is stunning. I love every makeover you do, I can hardly ever believe it! I would be super cool of you if you could do a video on cosmetic ingredients. Since you’ve made your own line, which I am stoked to try, you probably know a lot about which ingredients are good and bad. It would be super helpful!

October 30, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hi Cara,
    Wow, this one is so subtle and stunning at the same time! I followed the link to the lipliner and it goes to an eyeliner. I tried to find a NYX lipliner with “taupe” in the name, but with no luck. Can you confirm which one you used? Thank you!

October 31, 2013 at 9:33 am

She uses the eyeliner as a lip liner!

October 31, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I love this! it’s still her, but you totally enhanced her beauty

Happy November!
    November 1, 2013 at 3:58 am

[…] Cara’s Makeover Mondays always blow my […]

November 1, 2013 at 7:41 am

Wow! This is an amazing makeover! Cara, you took 10 years of her face, seriously.

Ashley @
    November 3, 2013 at 1:42 am

Touche the Ginnifer Goodwin references! Great makeover!

November 3, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Wow, what a difference!

Sparkles and Shoes

Carissa @ Pretty/Hungry
    November 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Stunning! Wow, what a beauty!

November 4, 2013 at 2:41 am

Ooooh her eyebrows are wonderful – she looks amazing, but I especially love the eyebrows!

November 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

So beautiful! You’re inspiring me to try some new techniques with makeup… I love how gorgeous and natural all of your makeovers are!

November 5, 2013 at 7:27 am

Gorgeous!! She looks just like Nic Chapman from Pixiwoos/ Real Techniques! Your work always inspires and impresses me, Cara!

November 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm

You are my inspiration and I love you!! I can’t wait for your make up to come out PLEASE keep us posted so I can get my hands on that ASAP. Much love.

November 29, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Hi Cara, I love your site and would love to buy your IiiD foundation. I think I have a similar skin tone to Shelly above- did you use light or medium on her? I know it would take time but it would be super helpful if you went through your old makeovers with your foundation and let us know what shades of foundation & which blush you used. Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving!

[email protected]
    May 7, 2014 at 7:26 am

She looks like Ginnifer Goodwin!

June 12, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Cara, you’ve said it so many times – the models have a totally different look in their eyes when you take the “after” picture. Va-va-voom! – I would jump outta her way if I saw her comin’ down the sidewalk – in reverence! Lovely!!