My Life

At last… THE MAKEUP ROOM!

It all started with a few emails sent by a few readers, who are awesome and who, lovingly took notice to the fact that I don’t know squat about home decor.
My sisters noticed the same thing a while back and spent a whole day fancying up my living area, leaving me with ONE JOB.
Put photos in the frames.
If you walk in my house today you’ll see some beautiful photos of some families who probably aren’t even family and certainly aren’t my family still hanging on my wall. Reading romantic captions like “8×10” or “2 for $10”.

I’m a disgrace.

Luckily, Mandi saw the emails and sent one of her own, which landed her in my house, sleeping on my blow up mattress, becoming one of my closest friends and providing me with
THE MOST PERFECT, INCREDIBLE, SPECTACULAR MAKEUP ROOM OF ALL TIME!
To prove this I would like to relay the reaction that my adorable niece Oakley had upon meeting my room (keep in mind, she does not impress easily)
“WOW….Are you rich!?
Which just so happens to be the EXACT REACTION I’d always hoped for!

Also to prove this I would like for you to see the room yourself.
But first I would like to show you the room when Mandi arrived. Which is mostly just…nothing.
Well, nothing and yellow/tan walls that cast a dingy hue to makeup videos, which is nice.

DSC_0802

Are you asleep yet?

DSC_0809

In addition to creating rooms she also creates catapult systems for super heroes, NBD.

DSC_5043

Are you excited!??!!
Since she’s the mastermind behind everything I think it’s only fair I let her show you first.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ROOM REVEAL<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
If you have time to come back (after you’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of goodness that is Vintage Revivals)
I’d love to hear your reaction!

signature

PS thank you so much to the readers who wrote Mandi, it’s all because of your kind hearts that I got to have the room of my dreams and Mandilicious in my life:)

92 Comments

Jenn
    September 19, 2013 at 4:15 am

Oh my goodness… I just adore you. Thank you for always brightening my mornings!

And the room looks Fantastic!!

Dani
    September 19, 2013 at 4:15 am

WOW nice! Amazing difference. I have to say though I expected to see more workspace where you would put all your make up? Where would your camera go for your videos? Would be cool to see you in the space too, so therefore I think the best bit is missing!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

angie
    September 19, 2013 at 4:17 am

Amazing!

Fanny Darling
    September 19, 2013 at 4:40 am

I love the way you write! It’s so vivid & genuine and always with a witty twist to it. “If you walk in my house today youโ€™ll see some beautiful photos of some families who probably arenโ€™t even family and certainly arenโ€™t my family still hanging on my wall. Reading romantic captions like โ€œ8ร—10โ€ณ or โ€œ2 for $10โ€ณ. Just love!! And your new room is wonderful, I adore the mirror especially (and of course the audrey hepburn picture!). xoxo

Meme
    September 19, 2013 at 4:48 am

Wow! I have never been so amazed by a room makeover! It’s so beautiful, but looks actually achievable. The wall treatments are just incredible. I’m so happy for you – you need a room like that!

Funny I saw a previous post with the library card chest in it and thought it was so smart for makeup storage, no idea it was part of a makeover. Hope you’re enjoying it!

Paula
    September 19, 2013 at 4:54 am

The room makeover is awesome just like you!

Jillian
    September 19, 2013 at 4:57 am

I love the furry chair and the chandelier! Beautiful room!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    September 19, 2013 at 5:01 am

Love it, rock on sister ๐Ÿ™‚

K.Nicole Williams (@Kenesha_W)
    September 19, 2013 at 5:02 am

Totally jelly, I love Mandi’s blog and sense of style. You totally deserve your beautiful new room. I’m loving the wall treatment and the art. And it’s good to hear that it’s something you can do in a rental (because I rent too).

Erica L.
    September 19, 2013 at 5:05 am

Be still my beating heart. I have no words! Wow. Just wow. I need Mandy in my life, thank you for introducing us.

Jennifer S
    September 19, 2013 at 5:12 am

Seriously, so beautiful. The only thing missing from the pictures was the closet. I was wondering what you decided to do with it! I’m also wondering where/how your makeup and hair products are stored, so I’d love to see a follow up with some nitty gritty details. This is the room of my dream future.

-Jen
    yourstrulyjen.com

TB
    September 19, 2013 at 5:24 am

Looks amazing! Looks like some super fancy retro starlets dressing room ๐Ÿ™‚

Rachel
    September 19, 2013 at 5:52 am

When I saw the Kevyn Aucoin book cover framed I squealed! That was my bible in high school! That room is so gorgeous. Don’t even get me started on the blue velvet settee.

Tracie B.
    September 19, 2013 at 5:57 am

Cara,
    I started following your blog this week & have been following Mandi for a few years! You both are very talented ladies …this may be one of my favorite spaces she has redone! ENJOY!

Alyssa
    September 19, 2013 at 6:02 am

Remarkable!!! I’m a renter myself and this is just such an inspiration for what can be done even in a temporary space!! Cheers to you!

Beatriz
    September 19, 2013 at 6:09 am

I love it!!!!!!!! a great place for a great make up artist!!

kissycat1973
    September 19, 2013 at 6:15 am

I think you crashed her server. Her page won’t load for me! ๐Ÿ™‚

Carrie
    September 19, 2013 at 6:15 am

The room is BEAUTIFUL!

Alison
    September 19, 2013 at 6:22 am

Ya her page isn’t loading anymore…too much traffic! ๐Ÿ˜‰ which is a good thing I guess hehe

jbabel2013
    September 19, 2013 at 6:27 am

Cara, I have battled lipstick for years. In the summer it is not much of a problem but with fall approaching it would be. Last night while doing my nightly face routine I had an idea. I use Monistat gel powder anti chafing gel as a primer on my eyelids for eyeshadow. Lightbulb went on, try it on the lips overnight. So a small amount of gel went on then applied once dry RED LIPSTICK! After a full nights sleep and two cups of coffee they stil look fresh. Sincerely Yours, Jenny

Kristina
    September 19, 2013 at 6:35 am

WOW! It looks amazing! You and Mandi are both awesome and creative! So happy you have a great space to do those tutorials we all love.

Heather
    September 19, 2013 at 6:42 am

I love love love this room! It is a great place to be inspired!

Brianna
    September 19, 2013 at 6:57 am

Holy cow! It does look like you’re rich!! Love it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Brooke @ All Things Thrifty
    September 19, 2013 at 7:06 am

It’s amazing! Love you both!

Sarah
    September 19, 2013 at 7:17 am

Wait, I am confused???? Is she your sister…..because you look very much alike? Wish I could see the room!!

vintagerevivals
    September 19, 2013 at 7:23 am

Its true ladies, I am a lightweight. Cara’s traffic is killing my server slowly (or not so slowly) I am working to get it fixed and I am SO SORRY!!

Alicia Anita Herron
    September 19, 2013 at 7:39 am

I was wondering what was wrong with the page. How flattering it must be to both of you ladies that it’s so flooded with traffic. I’m still waiting for a few pictures to upload, but it’s well worth the wait! It’s gorgeous! I wasn’t going to say anything about the drab background in the videos, although I was thinking about it ๐Ÿ™‚ Your kitchen is cute… just not for filming a fabulous makeup video! <3
    I have been talking about your site since I discovered it and I am so obsessed with the tips and techniques you give. I just recently bought a instyler for $100.00 big ones, only to realize, I may just suck at using it… like "WHOA who burned your fingers? and when's the last time you brushed your hair" suck at it.
    I have looked all over online to find a good video, and alas, I haven't found one. I'm hoping (praying really) that you could tackle this beast of a question as my husband would like to see me succeed with such an investment. His response "Honey, I don't think you were meant to have curly hair". my heart sinks ๐Ÿ™ HELP Please if you can ๐Ÿ™‚ <3

Sharon!
    September 19, 2013 at 7:39 am

It’s not loading! ๐Ÿ™

Laurie
    September 19, 2013 at 7:54 am

Oh Cara,I can’t believe people actually emailed you to criticize your workspace! Shame on them! You bring so much goodness and happiness to SOOO many people! In regards to your room redo,it looks like you moved to New York! Amazing! Thanks so much for all of your posts,you are such a blessing!

Amanda P
    September 19, 2013 at 7:57 am

I have been waiting for it to load for quite some time but it’s like a little treat in between my work, I check and get to see something new and pretty every couple of minutes. I think my favorite part is the library card catalog dresser, at least I think that’s what it is. And the furry chair! I want one of each for all of my rooms and my office at work! I’m so much like you, I am not a decorator, my best friend sneaked into my house and put up Christmas decorations last year because she thinks I’m a scrooge. I would not be sad if Mandi sneaked in and did this to one of my rooms! It’s so gorgeous and I’m beyond jealous!

Patti Rogers
    September 19, 2013 at 8:09 am

uggg my dear, not a room for you … but shazam! I love the fuzzy chair! Magic time!

Glenda caldwell
    September 19, 2013 at 8:33 am

Love the library catalogue storage chest

claire
    September 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

holy smokes!

liz @ bontempsbeignet
    September 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

Oh my Lord, that is one helluva room! I’ve been following Mandi since before she was hot gluing two rugs together to make one zebra striped rug! She never ceases to amaze me! I want to live in that room!!

Sooo, since guys (mine especially) aren’t the biggest fans of white, what does Nick think of the makeover?

Amanda
    September 19, 2013 at 9:03 am

Could you both travel the country making over faces and spaces for those of us who are challenged in these areas!! Amazing!!

Tonya
      September 20, 2013 at 8:53 am

Dang it! You totally beat me to it. I was gonna say the same thing.

jdeet
    September 19, 2013 at 9:10 am

I was shocked! And I love it! And its wonderful and fantastic… but I expected to see your makeup or storage or something? What kind of makeup storage set up did she do? I love that its so bright! She did a wonderful job!

Morgan
    September 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

Oh my gosh!! That is FANTASTIC!! It wasn’t what I was expecting at all when I opened the page!!

Lisa Scott Provost
    September 19, 2013 at 9:56 am

This is pure wizardry.
    Like. MAGIC.
    Like, I’m on my way with my own air mattress.
    Cant wait for her to share the nitty-gritty!
    In summary: dang, that room is RAD.

Alexa
    September 19, 2013 at 10:00 am

Mind. Blown. This is a room where self-consciousness goes to die, because you can’t help but LOUNGE sexy-style ( ala-Marilyn-Monroe) in a room like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if you develop an accent. And start using cigarette holders. And slink around in silk kimonos.

Nathalie
    September 19, 2013 at 10:06 am

Wow! What a difference, you now have a makeup room fit for a princess! I’m just a tad curious… Did Mandi make you store your makeup in a different room? There is no makeup on the shelves, and the only storage unit I see is the beautiful old library index card drawers thingamabob. Is that your makeup treasure chest???

Tammy
    September 19, 2013 at 10:17 am

You are so lucky to have Mandi redo your room! I follow her on everything. I’ve been wondering how you stored your makeup and what type of vanity you had since watching you tube videos. This is remarkable!! Now that you have turned me onto all the makeup and I’m becoming a makeupaholic, my husband is wanting to get some type of vanity for me!! Woohoo! (Hes cracking under the pressure of no space on the dresser and or bathroom, i suppose!!) Wonder if Mandi can do this to my room?? Love love love!!

Heather
    September 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

Oh my GOSH!!! I LOVE it!
    Can’t wait to see some new video tutorials in there!

Amara
    September 19, 2013 at 11:14 am

that is AMAZEBALLS. i never would have thought that room would turn into that! i want to hire her to do my whole house! congrats on the new space cara!

Rachel
    September 19, 2013 at 11:18 am

That room looks like it’s perfect for you!!! Love it!!

Lindsey
    September 19, 2013 at 11:24 am

It is GORGEOUS! What a fun, fresh space to create in :).

cheapchichome
    September 19, 2013 at 11:37 am

I am so happy for you! I’ll bet you don’t want to leave the room. I love how Mandi made the room comfortable and glamorous. The wall shelving treatment and art are so perfect for the space. It’s hard to choose a favorite idea/item. Congrats and enjoy! Hugs, Kim

Ali
    September 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

AMAZING!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Liz
    September 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm

GORGEOUS!

Shanti
    September 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm

All I can say is WOW!

Elena
    September 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I literally gasped when i saw it. Amazingly jealous and thrilled for you at the same time!

megshaheen
    September 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Ok! It looks amazing! Seriously awesome! You are so deserving and so lucky! YAY for you! Do you just want to sit in it all the time?

Alisa
    September 19, 2013 at 1:51 pm

It’s totally gorgeous, enjoy it!!!

elly
    September 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm

HOLY FREAKING BUNNY RABBITS AND MUSHROOMS.

Niki
    September 19, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Beyond amazing! SO inspirational that she did all that in a small space -gives me hope!

Bridget
    September 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm

OMG I am so so jealous! What an amazing space!

xx B

Nicole Young
    September 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Oh my gosh, Cara. You lucky thing! This looks gorgeous.

Xo N

K
    September 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Oh Em GEEE!! That is beautiful!! I have been jealous of your card catalogue ever since you showed it in a post a while back. Is that where all the makeup is? I also love the perfume bottle and the gorgeous settee! (sp?) On a whole different note…would you be willing to do a tutorial on a person with problem skin? Because I have had acne all my life (late 30’s now) and it is different trying these techniques out on someone with skin like mine. I’m talking, acne, acne scars, melasma from pregnancy dry skin flakes around healing acne (ick, I know) the works! This is my face on a daily basis and my makeup routine takes forever because there is so much time spent trying to get the flakes off, adding visine to red spots (don’t know what else to do) before using foundation, concealing a million areas, etc etc. And trying to HAC over all of that just doesn’t have the same effect on me as on someone with a nice complextion. I also don’t know of a good foundation for covering skin like mine. (so I wouldn’t have to use as much concealer all over) The best one I have ever used was, surprisingly, Bare Minerals. But it makes my face itch soo bad that it’s not worth it. So please consider a tutorial for this situation. I really hope I am not the only one with this problem! Thank you!

Cheria
    September 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm

OH MY WORD! Mandi has outdone herself! It looks amazing! I can’t wait to see pics of you in your new space doin’ your make-up jam! Congrats!!! I literally gasped when I saw it! Tomorrow is my birthday and you would have thought I was opening up a present for myself I was so excited for you…LOL!

Susie
    September 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm

The room is stunning! Bright, colorful and so visually interesting. It’s a one-two punch – the room and the October issue of Allure! Congrats!

Nikki
    September 19, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Wow! I’m blown away. Your makeup room looks perfect- Bright, feminine, and with so many personal touches. Hope you enjoy it!

Joanna Morgan
    September 19, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Amazing!! That has to be the most gorgeous room I have ever seen. Ever. Cant wait to see a video donenin there!

Mallory Loch
    September 19, 2013 at 7:27 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE your new oasis! The library card catalog thing is my absolute fav!!! Congrats!

Tatrs
    September 19, 2013 at 8:17 pm

It looks absolutely gorgeous. I almost can’t believe it’s the same room!

Jenny
    September 19, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Omgosh! I about dropped my iPad and chocked on a taco. This room is incredibly gorgeous! Mandi did a great job. I can’t wait to see your upcoming makeovers and beauty vlogs done in this room.

Jenny

lizteabee
    September 20, 2013 at 4:42 am

I actually exclaimed out loud and startled my cat when I saw the reveal. It took me a moment to realize that picture I was looking at was your room and not an inspiration pic from a magazine.

I continue to be crazy jealous of your card catalogue. Can we get a tour of the drawers? I’ll have to take another vacation out there so I can get a consult in the new room. (It was really fun to recognize the old room.)

Angie
    September 20, 2013 at 4:57 am

holy moly it looks AMAZING!! (also I totally still have photoframes with fake happy families and Grace Kelly in them…)

Patricia
    September 20, 2013 at 5:36 am

In love with the room!!! I would love to have a piece of it for sure!!!
    By the way, I have been following you for about a month or maybe two now, and I absolutely love your blog, you have taught me so much about make up and you’re such an inspiration! Thanks for all the time you take and everything you do for us readers ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo

Tori
    September 20, 2013 at 12:42 pm

It is Ah-MAZING! Oh my gosh, a little slice of heaven!

Michelle
    September 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Wow! That is an incredible transformation. I’m so excited for you. A girly room all for you!

leah
    September 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm

love your new room!!

Tawanda
    September 20, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I love your room! Also, I picked up the Allure Magazine that you’re in! I wish we lived closer I would love to book a makeover!

Lou
    September 20, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Wow that looks amazbells! I’m so jelly. What a divine room, both of you are so talented. x

Lou from Littlewing Lou

Yvette
    September 20, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Perfection!

Mary
    September 20, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Love it. I need my own makeup space myself lol.

loveofmary.blogspot.com

Carol
    September 20, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I am in LOVE with your blog. It is 1:45 in the morning here, and I have become addicted to your posts… click, after click, after click.. I’ve read a post or two in the past, but rediscovered it today because of your feature in Allure, and I must say, I’m totally impressed by you. Keep it up chica, cuz you rock! (Who am I kidding, I’m 30, I don’t really talk that way anymore) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is
    September 21, 2013 at 6:12 am

[…] incredible room reveal – dying over it going from this to […]

breakfastatvictorias
    September 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

HOLY CRAP! The room is PHENOM!

Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease
    September 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm

[…] incredible room reveal – dying over it going from this to […]

Dai
    September 21, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Gasp! What a transformation. Love how airy and light it looks now. Thanks for a new decor blog to visit! ๐Ÿ™‚

Wendy
    September 22, 2013 at 7:20 am

WOW!!! I am impressed, what an amazing transformation. I love the wall treatment & that velvet couch…ooh la la!

Siobhain
    September 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I can’t wait to read more about your take on the whole beautiful thing. I really wish I was blessed by the decor fairy and knew what I was doing when it came to putting a room together.

Cheers!

Siobhain

Catt
    September 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Shut up! That is not the same room! She is a decor genius I love it <3

darlene
    September 23, 2013 at 2:59 am

Wow! I am currently a student in Interior Design, this room makeover was so inspiring!

angie s
    September 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Its spectacular!!!!! I love everyrhing in your office.

Heidi
    September 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Oh my- this is a beautiful transformation. It is so clean and vintage- I can’t imagine working in there and keeping it clean! The library drawer piece is unbelievable- something that I have been looking for- but have no clue where I would put it. Ha ha….

Beth
    September 26, 2013 at 10:18 am

Hey girl, just a quick tip – when you link to a post outside of your blog, make sure to get the full URL and not just the home page of the website. You should have linked http://www.vintagerevivals.com/2013/09/maskcaras-office-source-list.html
    instead of
    If anyone comes back to this post in the future, they’ll have to scroll through vintagerevival’s entire site to find the specific post you were mentioning! <3

Jaime
    October 3, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Yep, agree with Beth. Just noticed the link doesn’t take me to the Room Reveal anymore.

Boni
    February 23, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I am in love with your room! What a transformation!! My favorite is the chandelier and the little pink mirror it’s in front of, and the little 30-drawer dresser! Cara, where did you find that dresser?? For serious, I could use a 30-drawer dresser! Soooooooo, where did you find it?? I really really really really REALLY want and need one. It reminds me of the little drawers that libraries have with all those index cards in it. TOO much fun!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Please let me know! LOVE it.