Makeup Makeup Products Products

Drugstore Rockstars

It’s not that unheard of for me to run to the store for milk and end up at the beauty isle.
There’s just something about drugstore makeup that gets to me.
When I was first getting into makeup the advice I was given was to stick to the expensive stuff.
“It’s worth the splurge and is MUCH higher quality.”
So I actually didn’t even give drugstore makeup a chance until a couple of years ago. (thanks to you guys!)
Since I opened that door I’ve been thrilled and surprised over and over again by the quality I have found at Wally World.
Every time I find something spectacular I feel like I’ve gotten a deal, I’m in on a secret or I’m working the system.
I feel like the kid that was like “Wait, the emperor isn’t wearing any clothes, right? I mean, the guy’s totally naked. Right?”
I’m calling BS on the idea that all of the expensive stuff is better, isn’t.
Sometimes the drugstore options rise quickly to the top of my favorite list, by passing many-a-high-priced counter parts.
Here are some of my latest favs:

1. Magic Nude Foundation: This has such an amazing texture! It goes on liquid and dries with a very velvety finish. It leaves a smooth coverage and looks very natural.

2. Sally’s Lip Inflation: This is a plumper but I use it as a primer for my lips. I put it on first thing when I get ready to do my makeup then when I’m ready for lipstick I blot off the excess and am left with plump, soft lips. When I run out I feel completely lost and chappy.

3. Ardell Trim & shapers:  Yep. I shave my face. (not brows just my jawline and upper lip) I only do it probably 3 times a year but I love the way it makes my face feel soft and I love how my foundation looks without peach fuzz beneath it.
I’ve never been a huge waxer cause I’m not big into inflicting pain on myself for the most part (my feet would disagree with this after what I put them through last week)
Check out this video if you wanna know more.

4. Aveeno Daily Moisture: I LOVE this lotion. Nothing has ever worked so well and lasted so long on my dry legs. I used it yesterday and my skin still feels freshly moisturized. True story.

5. Flower Lip Loss in What A Dai-sy: Well, I pretty much adore this line. Really great quality and genius colors. I’m really into this pale pink lately.

Jennifer S
    September 16, 2013 at 4:09 am

I love the idea of using the limp plumper as a lip primer. I will definitely be picking one of those up! I was wondering about that Loreal product. Their True Match foundation line made me break out though, so I’m still a little wary about it. I do most of my beauty shopping at Target, but I need to get myself to Walmart so I can check out that Flower line!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    September 16, 2013 at 4:21 am

I love those Flower lip glosses! Thanks for the shade tip 🙂

September 16, 2013 at 4:25 am

Can you find the razors at Wal Mart?

September 16, 2013 at 4:47 am

I get E.L.F. products at my grocery store. I love them! So cheap too!

September 16, 2013 at 4:57 am

I wish they released the Magic Nude Foundation in Europe as well!

September 16, 2013 at 5:08 am

I started to buy the magic nude foundation the other day, but wasn’t sure I’d like it. I may just give it a try now! I use to buy only BE makeup and now I have started getting cheaper stuff and most works just as good if not better 🙂

September 16, 2013 at 5:37 am

Can you please do a post on how to pick the right drugstore foundation shade???? I searched high and low for reviews and comparisons for people with my skintone for the Revlon Nearly Nude foundation and still ended up a shade that was too light. I’m always tempted to try new ones (such as the Magic Nude foundation and Maybelline’s Dream Matte) but I’m terrified of getting the wrong color again. I know some stores have good return policies, but I still would feel wasteful opening up and returning 3-4 foundations just to get the right shade. Anyway, thanks for the post! I always love visiting your blog!

September 16, 2013 at 11:41 am

If you already know of foundation brands/shades that work for you (ex: MAC NC-30, Bobbi Brown Beige) then you can use the site You just enter the info on foundations that you already match and it will list all the brands/shades that should work for you. It’s very cool.

September 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm

wow, thanks! super cool!

September 17, 2013 at 2:45 am

awesome tip! I didn’t know about this! Also, don’t feel bad about returning them, the companies want you to have the shade that fits you!

September 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Last month I went to Sephora to buy something, and I found out that they have a machine that is used on a person’s face, neck and forehead, minus the make up, that comes up with the right shade for a foundation. It worked great for me. Than a person can take the make up code and get a listing for additional brands. Hope you have a Sephora near you. Good luck.

September 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I was just about to ask the same thing. I never return a foundation that doesn’t work. I end up adding something to it such as bronzer to try to make it work.

Michelle chassie
      June 4, 2014 at 6:13 am

Heyy girl you should try mixing a darker and lifhter shade of foundation it really helped me 🙂

September 16, 2013 at 6:07 am

Great tips- ill definitely be trying a few of these! Love the idea of a lip pumper/primer.

September 16, 2013 at 6:09 am

I agree about doing a post on picking the right drug-store foundation shade. I would also like to see a post on drugstore finds that compare to MAC products so ladies that love MAC but can’t afford it can find drugstore stand-ins. I have been very pleased with the ELF products so far and they are so affordable.

September 16, 2013 at 6:11 am

Ditto on the foundation match. It’s always a struggle for me when I want to make the leap…purchasing cheap or expensive products.

September 16, 2013 at 6:41 am

I love Aveeno moisturizer!!

Sincerely Miss Ash

September 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I use Aveeno’s Cleanser…I love it and it has done right by my skin. Until I learned of home remedies for skin. I started playing with different options. Aveeno is a great product.

Pam J
    September 16, 2013 at 6:42 am

I’m going to try the L’oreal product. Do you have any other posts about drugstore finds? If not , I’d appreciate more recommendations! I’m looking for a great, low-cost mascara

Karen H.
      September 16, 2013 at 10:39 am

Walgreen’s carries a really great mascara called Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara….. It sells for $2.99, and you cant beat that! They also have felt tip liners, both bold line (sells for $2.99) and thin line (sells for $1.99) I only just bought the thin line and have never used the bold line, so I can’t personally vouch for them. But I have read many good things about the thin line… which is why I bought it.

Jordana also has a really pretty lip liner called Tawny and it is either $2.99 or $1.99… can’t remember which.

Amanda Ward
    September 16, 2013 at 6:43 am

Ok, the idea of shaving my face is freaky! I can’t wax my too sensitive face so the option is incredibly tempting. How is this razor different than shaving with a traditional razor? I can’t wrap my brain around how you don’t get stubble?!

September 16, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I agree, I’m a light skinned girl with dark brown hair and this is VERY tempting to try but I’m kinda scared too. Cara – can you make an explanatory/tutorial video please??

September 17, 2013 at 2:46 am

Yes ! I will show you what I mean:)

September 17, 2013 at 5:50 am

Thank you so much!!

September 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Thank you!!!! I’m going to get the trimmers today but want you to explain more. I’m super nervous to try it but I trust you girl!

Christie in MT
        February 17, 2014 at 6:04 am

I believe she included a link to the video posted by the MMandL show on you tube. Great video – it’s actually called dermaplaning – done in the dermatologist office. This razor allows you to get nearly the same effect at home. I love it! I do it a couple of times a month. Smmmmmmooooooth!

September 16, 2013 at 7:41 am

I want to give the loreal foundation a try!

Maria Isabel
    September 16, 2013 at 8:22 am

Your lip plumper advice has just changed my life! Most time I dont use mine because its too shinny but I just tried it under my lipstick and it looks fantastic! Thank you!

Beth Featherston-Graves
    September 16, 2013 at 8:44 am

I have stumbled on to a awesome drugstore lipstick, the Covergirl Duoblast, it has a different color lipstick on each end that you wear alone or can be blended, either way it does not smear and OMG the lasting power is amazing. I have it in color Flashy and beautiful pink and a beautiful plum, mixed together makes a beautiful fall berry color!! I put it on yeaterday morning at 9 AM after church I ate came home sorry but threw up 3 times ( I know TMI) and the lipstick was still hanging on!! Only around $5 at wally world

September 16, 2013 at 9:12 am

Pinning! Thanks Cara!

the makerista
    September 16, 2013 at 9:58 am

Ok, I’m super curious about this shaving your face thing! It doesn’t come back in a little poky at first? I definitely have quite a bit of peach fuzz and have tried cream on my upper lip before, but it usually really bothers my skin. I can definitely see where makeup would wear much better without any hair in it’s way!

September 16, 2013 at 10:32 am

Do you already have a list of things that there are no drugstore replacement for? Like….drugstore lipgloss is okay but always get your {insert random makeup product here} from MAC or something? <3

September 17, 2013 at 2:48 am

Love this Idea! I’ll work on it asap!

September 16, 2013 at 10:33 am

I completely agree with your picks. The Magic Nude foundation is truly magic. By far my favorite (despite having chanel, kiehls, and several other pricey foundations sitting next to it in my bathroom).

September 16, 2013 at 11:45 am

When I started reading about you using these facial hair shavers, I was so hoping you would link to the MM&L show. Love when you share drugstore options!

September 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

i love aveeno also and find it works best. cvs drug store actually sells the same sizi aveeno baby for several daollars cheaper and i think it is the same

September 16, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for the idea of using the Ardell trimmers. Hey, Cara, was wondering what your thoughts were about the No! No! hair removal system that you see advertised all over, other than the outrageous price

Maddy Cane
    September 16, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Love the look of that lipgloss, such a beautiful colour! x

Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD

September 16, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I’m new to this site and have a question? Is there a way to go back and read the archives from the beginning (chronologically rather than searching for a specific topic)? Even though I’m 35, I’m such a makeup newbie, and I don’t really know what I should be searching for, you know? So I’d like to just start from the beginning and read a bunch of posts on various topics.

September 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I came into makeup from the opposite perspective.. that there was no way the price of high end was worth it and I would simply be paying for the name. For most of my adult life I bought only drugstore. A few years ago my interest intensified and I shifted from using makeup to obsessing about it.. lol.. and took the plunge into high end. I found more disappointment than anything else. Yes, there are some good high end products.. but in almost every instance I have a drugstore alternative that is just as good or in many cases better. There is nothing magic about high end products.. there are just as many stars and flops as there are in the drugstore market, you just pay more for them and they come in a fancier box.

I shave my face as well. Not only is it the least irritating way I have found to remove facial hair it’s also an amazing exfoliator. I do it once every month or two. I have never gotten stubble, but I think it would be a possibility if you have very coarse hair, mine is your basic “peach fuzz”.

My absolute favorite body lotion is Gold Bond ultimate healing, it’s cheap, comes in a pump bottle, I can buy it at Walmart or any drugstore, smells like fresh banana, moisturizes extremely well without leaving any slimy or sticky residue, and does not irritate my sensitive skin.. even after shaving which is unheard of for me. I have the hand cream as well and it’s just as good.

September 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm

This is one of my top blogs, lovin what you post:) Just want to say.. I cant believe Dreamlumi highlighting concealer didn’t make your top 5. That stuff is amazing!!!!!!! Im so addicted! i hope they dont change the formula because it is perfect!!!! But I am a product lover myself, so i do understand how hard it is to pick what you could narrow down to a laminated list;).

September 16, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I used to only use expensive cosmetics and skin care and because I actually believed the claims they made, was always dissapointed. Almost 10 years ago, my friend (she’s an esthetican) told me about Paula Begoun and changed my life, literally. Paula reviews every make up product and tests it for you on her site called Beautypedia. I also started using her skincare and have not had any problems with my skin for almost 10 yearsI have very sensitive skin and being able to see a review before buying anything is amazing!

Cara, I found your site about a month ago and love it! You are so talented, adorable, funny and real. I’ve had 2 children in 3 years and you gave me back the desire to actually wear make up again. Thanks so much!!!

Abi Bailey
    September 16, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Cara, I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award, check out my blog for details!
    I love your blog and only came across it a couple of months back, I especially love your make overs because they’re never too drastic and you really know what you’re doing.
    I’ve been wanting to try the L’oreal Nude Magique Foundation ever since it launched in the US, but sadly it hasn’t been released as of yet in the UK (or not to my knowledge anyway!)
    Abi x

September 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Hey Cara! Do you use a primer with the Magic Nude Foundation or set it with a particular powder? It gets great reviews, but it’s just not working for me.

Kelly Stokes
    September 16, 2013 at 7:41 pm

The foundation has been one that I was curious about. Will give it a try. Don’t forget about Hard Candy’s Glamoflauge! It is an incredible concealer!! And a fantastic value! I would compare it to Kat Von D’s Lock-It Tattoo concealer. It covers under-eye circles beautifully!

September 17, 2013 at 12:55 am

yes! i found them at my walmart today in the false eyelash section

September 17, 2013 at 9:30 am

Ahh, The thing I dislike about drugstore make up is the chemicals in the products, and there are a lot of bad ones. I try to stick to the natural and organic make up lines. You wouldn’t believe how much toxins are in make up and our bodies are like sponges, everything goes into your bloodstream. Check out the EWW website to see which make up has harmful ingredients, once I did that, I threw away most of my make up, it’s pretty scary unfortunately.

Kimberly Helmers
    September 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm

What is your favorite way to apply the loreal foundation and how do you work it into your HAC routine? Also, what shade works for you?

ok. so this might be life changing… | The Farmer's Trophy Wife
    September 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm

[…] and this post here […]

September 18, 2013 at 6:46 pm

A former border from Korea introduced me to the face razor. Apparently, beauty in her community focuses on well shaped eyebrows. She showed me how much easier it is to gently shave off those unwanted eyebrow hairs versus plucking them. It takes a steady hand otherwise it’s easy to slip and slice off more hair than is wanted. I don’t always find them in my local drugstore – Rite Aide. I give this item two thumbs up.

September 18, 2013 at 11:26 pm

i loooove that foundation…. but only at times when i’m happy with my skin! if i have no break outs or i’m just bumming around the house i’ll use it. i’ve totally thought about taking a razor to my face… i have SO much fuzz on my face! i get so self conscious about it.

September 19, 2013 at 2:02 am

If your lips get chapped when you stop using the lip plumper its because they have become used to the product.

September 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I just went to the store and bought the foundation. I LOVE IT!!!! So light and silky! Your awesome!!! Thanks for all of your advice and work on your blog, you do a fabulous job! And, in response to a previous comment…I have always just dabbed a very little amount of the foundation on the back of my wrist and have {almost} always come out with a great match.

September 22, 2013 at 10:46 pm

That Aveeno moisturizer is the!! A coworker keeps it on her desk for her hands and I sneak by her desk and use it so often I’m pretty sure I owe her a bottle! LOL!

Sydni Mitchell
    September 26, 2013 at 9:05 am

You seriously changed my life with the Ardell trimmers….I had no idea those even existed! I am unable to wax my face because I break out really bad, so i have always struggled with those pesky face hairs. I love your blog and look forward to reading it all the time!

September 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Not sure about the demographics where you live, but near me there is a very large Asian community – Asian dollar stores sell those eyebrow/facial razors for a dollar or two! If you don’t have any near you try online wholesalers that ship from China and you’ll probably find some great deals! 🙂

September 28, 2013 at 9:16 am

would shaving your face make your hair grow back funny?

October 14, 2013 at 8:03 pm

If you use the face trimmer will it make your hair grow back in darker or more noticeable? I have brown hair and I’ve always heard if you shave something it comes back darker and thicker. Is this not true with your face? I have “peach fuz” on my upper lip that I would love to get rid of, but would be mortified if I grew back darker hair!!
    Please help!

December 1, 2013 at 9:33 am

I am dying to know if this face shaving business works!!! In the winter, my peach fuzz stands up when I am cold and this would be awesome but the thought of getting a full blown beard scares the heck out of me!!!

December 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Haha I promise I’ve been doing it for years! There’s absolutely no truth to the myth that shaving causes hair growth!

December 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I love this I definitely want to try shaving my face! Also have you heard of or used ELF cosmetics at all? I would love to hear your opinion of them!

January 29, 2014 at 10:25 am

Hi Cara,
    I really like posts like this. The reality is that I don’t live in a place where I can buy department store products we have a few basic drug stores where I live. I can buy things via internet, but cosmetics over the internet don’t return well if they don’t work out. So thank you so much for posts like this they give me some hope of finding good products for the everyday girl.