My Life Outfits

I <3 NY

I am back from my amazing trip!
Still can’t believe it all happened, kinda seems like a dream at this point.

Here’s my recap by way of a top ten list. My favorites.

1. J. Mendel Show & backstage
It was so surreal being backstage with all of the models, makeup artists and stylists.
I was lucky enough to watch the incredible celebrity makeup artist Gucci Westman at work.

She said that gloss was coming back in a big way, which is so refreshing after a few years of matte. I’m really excited.  I kinda missed the stuff. (of course, I never stopped wearing it but I missed seeing it around the elites)
She also complimented MY makeup. Seriously, I’m telling the truth. I could barely fit my big head out of the building after that.

I got a peek at his collection before heading out.

I tried to get photos of the actual runway but the lighting was all wrong and I couldn’t get it to work!

2. My Express Shopping Spree

$500 gift card to Express. Need I say more? This lovely jacket was my FIRST purchase.

3. Rosa Mexicana’s Guac
It took us about 1.2 minutes to down this entire bowl

And I was VERY sad.

So we went back the very next night.
I know, I know. It’s New York, you’re supposed to try something new every meal…
But we couldn’t get it off our minds!

4. Allure’s “Best Of Beauty” Party
 I met so many amazing humans and had such a good time at this party. (thanks in large part to all of the sweet girls in the beauty department who hung out with me)
It was so funny, I hardly every get nervous but I felt like I could barely piece together a coherent sentence half the time from my nerves.
Here I am with Sonia Kashuk, the view from the party, and some of the winners of the “Best Of Beauty” awards.

5. My shoes.
When I found these shoes I had already picked a dress to wear to the party that wouldn’t go with them so I had to rethink everything. I needed the shoes.  I started over and found another dress instead.
I was trying for probably 20 minutes to explain to Nick how incredible the shoes were saying things like:
“I know they’re are sparkly so you are just thinking, hey girls like sparkles, but it’s more than that. They are crystal sparkles. These are the sparkles dreams are made of.”
He seemed to think they were nice but was totally not grasping the gravity of it.
But when my sister Randi came over and gently cradled the shoes in her hands with wide eyes, the first thing she said knowingly was:
“Ahhh. Rich sparkles. Perfection.”
Which is why I love her.
Feast your eyes on these bad boys:

DSC_6647 DSC_6676

Shoes: Steve Madden | Dress: BCBG Outlet
My feet hurt just looking at them but I must say, for a heel that high, they weren’t so bad.

6. The Mag & Gift Bag
Not only was this gigantic suitcase packed FULL of beauty products, it also had a copy of the October Issue of Allure. I was SO happy. Catherine O’Neil did a beautiful job writing the article, it couldn’t have been more perfect. It hits newsstands on September 17th so be sure to get one so we can all pretend I’m famous together!

Gift Bag

(also notice how at the end of the night, my metallic Stila shadow (in Vintage Black Gold) had yet to crease!)

7. Shake Shack.
Best burger I’ve ever had. The fries were delicious as well and we finished it off with a salted caramel cone that was the perfect mix of sweet and salty that makes you think you could eat an entire tub of it.
DSC_6756 DSC_6754

8. The FANCY hotel we stayed in.
Which was right across the street from Lincoln Center and all the fashion festivities.

And just so happens to be where they filmed much of Gossip Girl! Can you tell!? (I haven’t watched much of it so..)

9. Braid.
Rachel and I added some Lacedhair and a bunch of Redken Wool Shake & Oribe Dry Texture Spray to my dirty
locks and whipped out this braid in under 10 minutes.

Totally lazy chic, right?

10. Having this to come home to:

I’ll share some of the beauty tips I got backstage and new products I tried asap!

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

September 13, 2013 at 4:51 am

Love the recap – can feel your excitement. What color nail polish are you wearing with your Shake Shack burger?

September 13, 2013 at 5:40 pm

That’s actually a photo I took of my sister, I just texted her to see what color it was!

September 13, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Midnight Swim Vinylux, it’s the best nail polish brand in the world!

September 14, 2013 at 9:21 pm

What color are you wearing with the amazing BCBG dress? The shoes matched the dress perfectly. Beautiful photos, I can’t imagine how amazing this trip was! Can’t wait to hear more!

September 13, 2013 at 4:58 am

how come I can never see any of your pictures anymore? Is there something that I need to change? I loove your web-site!!!

September 13, 2013 at 5:46 pm

That is so weird! I am about to unleash a redesign so hopefully it fixes that!

September 13, 2013 at 5:12 am

You are so stinkin cute!! I am actually sitting here excited for you! Looks like so much fun. You totally deserved it. Your blog is my fave!!

September 13, 2013 at 5:17 am

I can’t see them either 🙁

September 13, 2013 at 5:28 am

So excited for you!!! You deserve it. Love your blog.

September 13, 2013 at 5:28 am

Do you have any posts about preventing eyeshadow creases? I get that a lot, and I always wear primer! I thought of it immediately when you commented about your shadow lasting all night.

September 13, 2013 at 6:15 pm

What kind of primer do you use!?

September 13, 2013 at 5:32 am

I LOVE those shoes!!!! What color lipstick are you wearing in section #9. I love the color! Your son is adorable!!!

September 13, 2013 at 5:38 am

I’m a bit jealous of you! Lol! Sparkles are so much better than glitter! And I must say in the pic where you are touching your hair I tnink you look like Kate Beckinsale. I know you said once you don’t really look like anyone else. Anyhow looks like you had a great time!

September 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm

ooooh Kate Beckinsale!? BEST COMPLIMENT EVER!!! Thank you!

Katie B.
    September 13, 2013 at 5:47 am

Cant wait to get October’s Allure.. and your son is SO CUTE!!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    September 13, 2013 at 5:54 am

Omg I’m speechless 🙂 You guys fit a lot in short period of time, super efficient! Enjoy your weekend, I would be planning exactly how and when I was going to use everything lol

September 13, 2013 at 5:55 am

I smiled all the way though the post – LOVED feeling your positivity by reading the recap. It all sounds amazing and you look gorgeous. I totally agree with you on the shoes – I’m really not one for sparkles, but they are simply incredible.

Renate from

September 13, 2013 at 6:10 am

YOU are adorable Cara !! and you looked stunning! While reading your story, I felt I was there with you! and the way you described your sparkly shoes it is just perfect! I will need to quote you on that! “These are the sparkles dreams are made of” You deserve all the success, and I am so buying the magazine to read your article!

Nicole D.
    September 13, 2013 at 6:15 am

your amazing! such an inspiration 🙂

September 13, 2013 at 6:17 am

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience–every girl’s dream! I’m so proud of you and glad you are being acknowledged for your awesome beauty blog (and you ROCKED those sparkly shoes)! I look forward to your future posts, keep up the good work and you go girl!

Ashley @
    September 13, 2013 at 6:22 am

Wow! This is amazing! Congratulations- you totally deserve it!

September 13, 2013 at 6:24 am

Oh my gosh, I love ALL of that! How much fun was it to be backstage? Those shoes, man I love them. I think everyone needs a pair of shoes like that, even if it is just to dress up and walk around the house (Am I the only one that does that!?). But the best of all, was the video of your son! He’s the cutest thing! <3

Cassie Ilten
    September 13, 2013 at 6:28 am

Hey! We just got a shake shack in Reno so come visit and I’ll take you to lunch.

September 13, 2013 at 6:18 pm

September 13, 2013 at 6:33 am

Totally, just went and purchased those shoes. I have the sparkly Steve Maddens from the last couple of season and love them. I texted my husband that I NEEDED them and he wisely consented ; ) . Your little boy is adorable! I love that age with kids. My daughter is about the same age.

Cheryl in Wisconsin
    September 13, 2013 at 6:37 am

Thanks for the highlights reel. I really enjoyed this post.

Megan M.
    September 13, 2013 at 6:43 am

You ARE famous! I’ll be looking for that issue of Allure for sure! And your son is sooo cute! What a little sweetheart. He loves his mama! And last but not least, I am super jealous of all that food you got to eat. I can’t stop thinking about that guacamole and I’ve never even had it! LOL

September 13, 2013 at 6:44 am

#10 was the best! 😉

September 13, 2013 at 6:50 am

Your son. Too. Cute! Congrats on all your success Cara!

September 13, 2013 at 6:51 am

Wow…..looks like you had an amazing time in NYC!!!!

September 13, 2013 at 6:53 am

What an amazing experience for you!! So glad for you. I love the mag/gift bag and #10. Too cute.

September 13, 2013 at 7:09 am

Cara! I don’t have to “pretend” anything! You ARE famous! The beautiful ‘famous’ Cara of Maskcara! And we can all say.. I knew her back when… 🙂 Thank you for being REAL and sharing your venture with us! I appreciate it so much! I appreciate your ‘dirty’ hair looking so hot. And your “Target” camo pants…and your BCBG dress from the “outlet”… and your “rich sparkles”. THIS is why I love you. You always keep it real. Please never change. Thank you for taking us all for a ride and never forgetting us.

September 13, 2013 at 7:21 am

I was totally loving your NY recap and all the deets and the sparkly shoes and then…..and then I saw that video and fell to the floor and died right there! Seriously, our reason for living. It is a million levels of precious and delicious all in one!! You’re awesome, I love you, I love what you stand for and how grounded you are. Glad your back home safe with your babies 🙂

Jessica T
    September 13, 2013 at 7:26 am

OOOOOOH I want sparkly Shoes!!!! CRYSTAL sparkly shoes!!!! VERY pretty and I love the dress you wore with it (I’ve been known to redo an entire outfit due to accessories as well hehe).

How do you do your clip ins? I’ve been playing with a set I bought and I just can’t get it to come out looking right! I straighten my hair first, then put them in, but I still end up with a big line where my natural hair starts and the clip ins begin 🙁

Can’t wait to get the September issue! Lovely and wonderful as always 🙂

September 13, 2013 at 7:28 am

So fun! Looking forward to the tips and tricks. Ain’t nothing better than coming home to your little ones!

September 13, 2013 at 7:29 am

I’m so excited to have found your site. You look beautiful and I’m now obsessed with figuring out how do that braid with my extensions.

September 13, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh Cara, this was amazing and you are amazing!! I loved living through you on this amazing NY trip!! I can’t think of anyone who deserved it more!! I sure love you soo much, oh and your shoes and your hair… I’ll be stealing them next Vegas trip!!! Xoxo.

September 13, 2013 at 7:40 am

Love it! Where is your blue long sleeved dress from?!

September 13, 2013 at 9:14 pm

BCBG outlet!

liz @ btb
    September 13, 2013 at 7:44 am

So awesome and SO well deserved! And I love how the guac beat out seven of your top ten. My kind of girl!

September 13, 2013 at 7:45 am

Um, you are famous!! 🙂 So happy for you, you deserve it all! You are such a positive light and I enjoy reading your posts. And your son is absolutely adorable!!!!

September 13, 2013 at 7:53 am

I LOVE that you wore Target pants to Fashion Week! Your son is Super cute! One thing that I just can’t stop wondering about though….what is going on with your hairline in the sad guac photo? Do you have brown makeup on your hairline? I’ve seen that done before to fill in spots for guys, but obviously you don’t need that kind of help. Sorry for being nitpicky but I can’t stop trying to figure it out!

September 13, 2013 at 9:58 pm

It’s my color stain from coloring my roots! haha sorry it looks bad, but I couldn’t get it to come off!

September 13, 2013 at 11:14 pm

No, you look beautiful! I just figured it was some sort of make-up trick! ha ha

September 13, 2013 at 7:59 am

Eek!! Your baby’s not buckled!

September 13, 2013 at 8:41 am

those shoes…I must have those shoes!!

September 13, 2013 at 8:43 am

This is a trip that dreams are made of! And, weird, I went to college with Catherine O’Neil. I can’t wait to get my hands a copy of the mag! Congrats!

September 13, 2013 at 8:43 am

I am so happy for you! You SO deserve it. I always used to wonder why my makeup never looked as polished or refined as the girls at the MAC counter. Even though I used the same products, tools and techniques. What I didn’t know at the time, which you taught me, is the HAC. Now I know the difference! I feel like a MAC girl now! sniff sniff LOL! btw, your son is ADORABLE.

September 13, 2013 at 8:51 am

OH EM GEE! Your son is TOO CUTE! He’s gonna be a stunner! lol Your trip was fabulous as was the recap! <3

September 13, 2013 at 8:52 am

Looks like you had a fantabulous time! You are a beautiful inspiration and those shoes are AMAZEBALLS!

Red Tag Couture
    September 13, 2013 at 9:17 am

I agree with the commenter above – you do an amazing job showing us how makeup can work to emphasize our features! Thanks for delivering such high quality posts. 🙂 PS – Those shoes are AMAZING!

XO RTC

September 13, 2013 at 11:01 am

Love the jacket from Express, but I can’t find it online?! Any suggestions?

September 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Wendy, do a google search for ‘Express denim vest sweatshirt’ — it’ll link you to it. I’m ordering mine now before they sell out.

September 14, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Thanks so much Tiffany! I was looking under jackets, didn’t think to look under tops. 🙂

September 13, 2013 at 11:04 am

Ahhhh you are my favorite. I always look forward to your posts. Looks like you had an awesome time, and I’m excited for the Allure issue! I am also loving that nail polish color…. what is it?!

September 13, 2013 at 11:07 am

You are adorbs!!. I love your blog and your ability to keep things real…Couldnt have happened to a sweeter girl, So happy for you !. Ok, I have to ask. Which lashes (brand and #) are you wearing in the Sad guac pix?. I NEED them !. BTW, Nothng compares to #10…Hes a dream!!..

Rachel Rinderknecht
    September 13, 2013 at 11:12 am

The whole experience sounds so incredible! Oh and the video of Christian at the end just made my heart melt!

Chelsa Adamson
    September 13, 2013 at 12:10 pm

You’re too cute Cara! I’m so happy for you and al of your success. I love reading your blog! Next time I’m in St.George or Vegas… I really want to be your Monday Makeover. I’m going to tell Beau that’s what I want for Christmas. I hope you’re doing well! Love ya!!!

September 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Looks like you had a fantabulous trip! LOVE LOVE LOVE the shoes! And that video is adorable : ) Congrats on all the good happening in your life right now!

Sadie Mickelsen
    September 13, 2013 at 12:36 pm

#10 is my favorite. Seriously. How cute is he!

September 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm

sooo lovely. the whole time i was following you along on insta i was thinking of gossip girl and how i need to rewatch it all just so i can pretend live in that world for a minute. you’re incredible, i love how your dreams are coming true. or have come true. or are true. you’re incredible cara.

September 13, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Help!!! I, too, can’t see your pics anymore.

Tammy Stailey
    September 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I love it all! But Christian melts my heart! I’m so proud of you and everything you’ve accomplished. You are amazing! Miss seeing your face everyday!

September 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

This makes me happy, I pray that God blesses you even more! I laughed so hard at #6!

September 13, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Cara, You are the greatest! Thanks for sharing your NYFW with us. I am happy for you, your success and recognition. For me, I can use all the inspiration God sends my way. Stay beautiful, inside and out. Besos & Abrazos, La Glorya de Nueva York.

September 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

P.S. Cara, after looking at your crazy wonderful Sparkly high heels and blue jean jacket: here’s my questions and/or statement, “Don’t ya love New York clothing!”

September 13, 2013 at 4:12 pm

i cannot believe you were across the street from me and i DIDN’T GET TO MEET YOU!!!!!! the empire is on 63rd and my bldg is the entire block between 63rd and 64th above the smith, fiorello’s, boulud etc…. the best of beauty party is in the same bldg as the whole foods i go to almost every day. SO SAD i didn’t meet you!!!! as are all my other mommy friends who follow you in my neighborhood. my son’s bus stop is across from rosa mexicano!!!! but i am thrilled you responded to my tweet:) so glad you had an amazing trip and met such amazing people and got to be the celeb you are!!!! you looked stunning!!!!!

September 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm

You look incredible, and I love your hair!

September 13, 2013 at 4:37 pm

So happy for you. You’re the greatest ! I wish you every wonderful thing this world has to offer.

September 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Awe thanks so much Renee!

September 13, 2013 at 11:15 pm

i am so excited for you! that’s amazing you go to go – you absolutely deserve it and you look stunning! more to come for you!

September 14, 2013 at 12:50 am

Congrats on all your accomplishments! Little tricks can go a loonnggg way in making a girl feel more beautiful. Thank you:)

September 14, 2013 at 2:04 am

Just amazing, many congratulations. You deserve all your success and happiness and much more I love reading your blog & you’ve def changed the way I look @ makeup. Keep those tips coming!!!

September 14, 2013 at 3:50 am

It’s great when good things happen to good people!

September 14, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Love your hair! I want shake shack now! So hungry

Alanna Victoria Polo
    September 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I am IN LOVE with your dress. Your shoes are amazing, too, but that dress is perfection. You are such a babe! Glad your trip was awesome. (:

the bombshell diaries
    September 14, 2013 at 3:34 pm

1. you are gorgeous and look amazing! 2. i love love love your hair braided like that. 3. i honestly would have cried real tears of excitement/happiness if i were to stand in gucci’s presence, and i am so excited for you that not only could you meet her but they she gave you such a wonderful compliment! duhh your followers tell you all the time how amazing you are but to hear it from the goddess herself? i can only imagine!

can’t wait to hear about all the products you saw!!

xx B

September 14, 2013 at 4:57 pm

how fun!!! those shoes are beyond amazing!!!! i want to go to shake shack so bad!!!

Julie Terry
    September 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Oh my HECK! Your son is SOOO adorable! That video was so perfect for the end of your trip 🙂 Also, I went to high school with your sister, Celeste. She’s such a great person! When I found your blog on Pinterest I knew you had to be sisters because you look so much alike.

September 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm

How did you do that braid? I love love love it.

September 15, 2013 at 2:31 am

LOVE IT! So fun to have a peek at the journey… Which I have a feeling has just begun.
    And the icing on the cake… (as all Mommy’s know)… was the finale… PRECIOUS!!! Great job Mama!

September 15, 2013 at 8:31 am

OMG LOVE the video! So precious…and so hard to leave behind!

Mary G
    September 15, 2013 at 8:51 am

I’d love to know about of the beauty tips you mention at the end… By the way, beautiful photos! 🙂

the makerista
    September 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm

what an amazing experience! congrats!

September 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Does anyone know the name of the BCBG Outlet dress? It’s too perfectly relaxed sexy not to fall for!!

September 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I can’t wait to get my Oct Allure 🙂 Congrats!! Also I don’t know if this is something you’ve already shared or would consider sharing, but where did you and your hubs get your gorgeous wedding ring? I lost my wedding ring in a recent move and love the general style of yours

September 16, 2013 at 10:22 am

Can’t even imagine how much fun you had! Sounds amazing!! You go girl!

Frida Ha
    September 16, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hi cara! Could you try and do a makeuplook where you lower your arch? Would be interesting to see if it changes your look!

September 20, 2013 at 11:22 am

OMG your sons video is the cutest!!!

September 23, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I was so excited to sit down on Sunday morning with my coffee and my new edition of Allure and see you throughout, so glad that you won! I almost felt proud as a reader of your blog, kind of like one of my kids.

I just love that dress, trying to figure out if I could get away with wearing it to work. Probably not the shoes although I would LOVE to get them but probably not to work.

I know you hear this all the time but I have really enjoyed your blog. I have not been a big make up person but you have taught me some of the smaller techniques to use on myself that can make the little changes simple and easy. I was impressed the first time I did the shadowing- it worked. So thanks!

October 11, 2013 at 6:50 am

You are so beautiful!!! I have to ask…do you use false eyelashes or extensions? Or is it some magical mascara??? They look incredible!!!!!

December 11, 2013 at 7:16 am

I LOVE THE SHOES! Looks like so much fun! I am getting those shoes for christmas and just got your 3d foundation! LOVE LOVE LOVE can’t wait to use it all together on nye!

March 6, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Sounds awesome! Speaking of gossip girl, would you consider making a Serena Van der Woodsen tutorial/video?