#soapboxchallenge & some FAQ

It’s been two weeks ladies!
I can’t wait to see all of your results and your thoughts on the challenge.
A nasty little cold has taken over my body (right now I say it’s a cold but mark my words I’ll be WebMDing my totally average cold symptoms before nightfall, just in case it’s actually some exotic bird flu…) so I thought I would just stick to my “after” photo from a couple of days ago. I don’t think my sniffling self would properly portray the final result.

My thoughts:
The constant urinating subsided after the first few days, once my body was getting properly hydrated
I found myself getting thirty all the time! Which is new for me.
My chin break out cleared up
the redness around my eyes disappeared
my face (specially my nose) was far less puffy
It is a terrible idea to drink all of your water intake after 8pm. I spent more time in the bathroom than in my bed!
It wasn’t really hard at all just took a little bit of extra effort that was totally worth it.

Also I added flossing to my challenge and I am convinced that I’m never going back.
I was pretty grossed out with myself after flossing each day and realizing all that junk was just sitting my my mouth before.

You have the rest of today to post your after (be sure to hashtag it) and I’ll announce the winner on Friday:)

I also made a little Q&A video to tackle some common questions that I felt would be easier to explain VIA video than in print.
I talk about getting a good haircut from your stylist, some highlighting and contouring stuff and some under eye shadow concerns.

Have a good hump day!

August 28, 2013 at 4:59 am

Gosh, I wish just washing my face everyday and drinking lots of water did those types of wonders to my face. You are beautiful! I loved your tip/question video too. I am looking forward to more posts on HAC!!

August 28, 2013 at 4:59 am

Loved this FAQ video idea 🙂 Abd can’t wait for the HACing mistakes post! Hope you kick the crud soon and feel better!

August 28, 2013 at 5:12 am

I think you’re right about the sunless tanner and making sure your skin is clean and not too moisturized. When I did my make up consult you sprayed my neck/chest and since I had sunscreen on my chest about 95% of the color washed right off.

August 28, 2013 at 5:24 am

I love your blog especially HAC!! worked great for me and I’m addicted to it now.
    Can you please post a video or give tips on how we can do makeup for round eyes, to make them less round?

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    August 28, 2013 at 5:35 am

Feel better soon, thanks for the video!

August 28, 2013 at 5:51 am

love this video! definitely would be awesome to do an ask Cara series 🙂

I feel like I say this every time I comment on your blog but you are just the best! feel better soon!

August 28, 2013 at 6:11 am

Awesome! I tan all year-round too and love any and all advice you give! Great post (:

August 28, 2013 at 6:15 am

Eh I basically do this “challenge” as a daily habit anyways. I do drink most of my water in the evening to avoid constantly getting up during work and peeing. Generally, I’d say I have good skin and I think this contributes, however I still break out around my chin and it doesn’t seem like anything will stop that from happening.

Amanda L
    August 28, 2013 at 6:20 am

Hi Cara,

You mentioned you use the Clarisonic in your video. How do you like it, do you think it is worth the money? I am on the fence on buying one, I have very OILY skin and large pores, just wanted to know your thoughts.

Thank you.

Amanda L

August 28, 2013 at 6:57 am

Oh my gosh YES! Tell us about this! I have a Clarisonic, and I’m still trying to get the hang of using it without irritating my skin too much. I want a whole spiel on your skin-care routine generally!

August 28, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I have a Clarisonic Mia and I LOVE IT!!!! It’s definitely worth the money. After using the Mia, I could see justifying more money on a bigger model.

August 28, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I have acne prone skin and the Clarisonic irritates it. FYI…

Maria Melnichuk
    August 28, 2013 at 6:43 am

Am I imagining or do you really have blue tongue in this video? So funny! 🙂

August 28, 2013 at 6:54 am

Can you provide the link for the initial soapbox challenge? I read it initially but can’t find it now! Thank you for all your wonderful tips!!

August 28, 2013 at 6:55 am

I can’t believe the difference adding face cream would be. I had already been drinking the water, but still had dry patches around my eyes and nose. First few days of adding the face cream I thought my skin was really greasy, but after the first week someone in a checkout line asked me how I kept my skin looking so healthy 🙂 that was a wonderful compliment and I will definitly keep it up. Thanks Cara for setting up this two week challenge!!

August 28, 2013 at 7:05 am

Thanks for the tips on going to the hair salon. I have had way to many bad hair experiences and I agree, this last time I found someone who understands long, fine stick straight hair! Makes a huge difference.

I actually have an appointment tonight and I am considering doing the ombre look…however being that I live in the midwest (not a big city) I am wondering if it would look to weird to some people?

August 28, 2013 at 7:41 am

Please, please, please show us how to extend out our beautifully curled hairstyles. What do you do to sleep in them, and then revive them in the morning? I love your twirl curl hair and do it often, but the next day it looks like a tangled mess, then dry shampoo and combing it out, forget about it, it never looks like yours!

Susan Goldstein
    August 28, 2013 at 7:46 am

You’re a Good Person, Cara <3

August 28, 2013 at 8:03 am

Where did you get your necklace?

August 28, 2013 at 8:21 am

Thanxs Cara! Love your site! I am now addicted to HACing (does that word make sense? lol) Would love to get your feedback on the Clarisonic verses Olay ProX. I currently use the Olay and love it and am just wondering if the Clarisonic is worth the extra money. Also can you recommend a good waterproof mascara and eyeliner? I live in Ca. and it’s still hot here until October and with 3 kids we do a lot of pool trips right now. Thanxs again for all of the great advice! Keep up the good work! God Bless 🙂

Amanda Allen Lucke
    August 28, 2013 at 9:03 am

Wonderful video, thank you! Yours is easily one of my favorite beauty blogs. And I just have to say that I have that same shirt – go, Target! 😉

August 28, 2013 at 9:05 am

Love your athletic shirt and girly necklace!!! So cute to mix the two!

Austianna Quick Wilson
    August 28, 2013 at 9:15 am

Definitely a YES to the video! Thank you for taking the time to go more in detail about some of those confusions. Love your necklace!!

August 28, 2013 at 9:18 am

Cara, thank you so much for all your advice. I bought a bronzer for HACing but I don’t think the color is quite right=( now I am wondering, should I run out and get a new shade, or should I hold tight and wait for your product line…or I would love to be your test market;) just an idea

August 28, 2013 at 9:22 am

thanks so much for this! I have a new hairdresser and have found we don’t communicate well. I’ve ended up with totally different styles/cuts than I thought I would get. And YES, more contouring videos, I’m just a beginner!
    Love ya

Jessica Cutlip
    August 28, 2013 at 9:54 am

Posted my before and after pics on your facebook 🙂

Rachel S
    August 28, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thanks for answering my eyeshadow questions. I’ll try those tips! Also really looking forward to your upcoming HAC post.

Brittany Wicz
    August 28, 2013 at 10:34 am

I loved the video…you NEED to do another can’t wait for the HAC-ing one. I feel like some of these questions especially the HAC-ing one about looking good in photos was like reading my mind.

p.s. i did your water moisturizing washing challenge 3 days in a got 3 huge zits on my chin. Think its kinda funny that after trying harder to improve my skin it got drastically worse. THis would happen to me 🙁 Going to keep up the extra water drinking and remembering to wash my face at night!!!

Erica Tanner
    August 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

Love the video. Thanks so much! I emailed you (the makeover email) because I am headed down to vegas tomorrow! Would love to participate in your Makeover Mondays!!! Plus I need some tips on foundation…

August 28, 2013 at 10:51 am

great video tips like a girlfriend telling you the lowdown! still trying to figure out how you do those makeover mondays and attempt on myself. the transformations are great- need more detail video info there and non realtied but curious why did present hubby break up first time around and is first husband still in your son’s life- that poem of codependence was so raw and beautiful and heartfelt.

Heather Caldwell
    August 28, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hope you feel better. My allergies have been bothering me also. What a difference from drinking water n washing your face. I cant wait for your video bc ive had the same concerns with contouring also. I think when im in a hurry I dont blend well enough. Ready to see your video about it. I know it will be of great help! Thanks for all your efforts and time you spend. Its so rewarding to so many people! Your amazing girl!

August 28, 2013 at 11:59 am

Love this! Thanks so much:)) Feel better soon!!

August 28, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I have been battling a cold as well! I usually moisturize daily but I am constantly having to remind myself to keep drinking water 🙁 sometimes I outright forget!! Great post! I am in love with all u do and wish u were in the NJ area! Feel better! xo

August 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I am Breastfeeding so I alreadydrink tons of water, but I have known for ages I need to be washing my face before bed and I’ve never really done it, my skin looks so much better after just 2 weeks! Great challenge!

August 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Sounds like too much water might have flushed out some important vitamins- may be why you caught a cold? Make sure your drinking juices like apple and orange when that much water! Excited for hac video! Would love a tip for my mom who now has a harder time with eye makeup as she ages-thanks! Feel better

August 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Hey, Cara, I’m really excited for the HACing video! I have very little experience with makeup, and my boyfriend always teases me about it a little when he sees me wearing it, so both of these together make me kinda nervous to try it, so the tips will help.
    Something I would love to hear you address is the order in which you put your make up on. You put on foundation AFTER eyes? That is something that would just never have occurred to me ever! So you do your eyes before HACing? If we’re putting shadow on below the eyes, that’s before concealer, but after primer? And when do the shadow and liner go on? Help a poor girl who was raised by her dad, please!

August 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Hi Cara,
    My friend told me about your blog a few weeks ago, and I absolutely love it! I love your view on beauty and using make-up to bring out what’s already there and hide places we’re not so crazy about. I showed several of your videos to my teenage daughter, and she’s hooked too. Thank you for sharing your gift! I think having healthy, white teeth enhances the beauty of the face as well. Do you get yours professionally whitened, or do you have any recommendations for teeth whitening products that you could share? Praying for a quick recovery from your cold!

Lauren Bartlett
    August 28, 2013 at 4:48 pm

loved the video! i needed a lot of those questions answered!..also where did you get your necklace that you’re wearing in the video its gorgeous!

August 28, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Omg, I totally agree about flossing! I upped my game from once a week to about 5 times a week during this challenge!! (I’m still working my way up to 7 days. . . ) It makes SUCH a difference and it’s so gross!! lol.

Rachel S
    August 28, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Here’s something I would love if you could address in your upcoming HAC post. I have so much trouble getting the right amount of blending. If I don’t blend enough, I have obvious lines and spots on my face. But when I try to blend it in, I end up pretty much blending it away completely. I feel like I don’t get the benefits of HACing when I really blend it in, but if I don’t blend really well, I feel like it is embarrassingly obvious. I’d love if you could give some pointers about that.

August 28, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I love hat you just ate something that gave you a blue tongue before making this video! You are so cool.

August 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Sorry about your cold, I have one too 🙁 except you look about 7000 times better than I do sick! Lol. Loved the Q & A video. Could you do a post about hair dying/at-home hair color? I currently have accidental ombre because the bottom of my hair (which has been bleached before) always lightens up a lot while my roots are much darker 🙁 So frustrating! I just want my hair to be all one color 🙁

Kristen G
    August 29, 2013 at 12:13 am

You are amazing! Thank you for the video, it was FABOOSH!!

raquel larios
    August 29, 2013 at 1:19 am

I know this has nothing to do with the video topics lol but i have noticed you wearing that necklace multiple times i.e in pictures and what not and now for this vid and i love it can you tell me where you got it from? Its so cute im like i want it !!!!

Jennifer Spencer Carey
    August 29, 2013 at 2:29 am

Hope you feel better soon! I just love all your blogs and videos. I do have one question that maybe you could answer in your upcoming video about HACing. So far Ive tried it and I think Ive got the hang of it, when I do it, its noticeable but still natural looking. And Ive gotten compliments about my complexion. Luckily my skin is really fair so it doesnt take much to add just a little difference. My question is, whats the difference between HACing and bronzing? I mean I use a bronzer to do my HACing, but I noticed in your perfect complexion video you use bronzer a little differently. Like I said, I have really fair skin, and honestly I never wore blush or bronzer until coming across your site, because the whole concept of it just seemed like to much work, and too bold for my skin. So again thank you so much for all your information and awesome tips, and just the way you explain everything.

Hayley Grade
    August 29, 2013 at 9:23 am

I really love that you did this and encourage your readers to do it along with you!! If only I could get my friends and loved ones to do it as well!! Nothing better than feeling & looking healthy!

August 29, 2013 at 10:31 am

Hey Cara I think you’re right on the money about the self-tanner and dry skin. I started using the Sun Labs after your recommendation and I have noticed that some days it lasts longer than others. So I experimented last night. I did my usual exfoliation in the shower and didnt put on any moisturizer. Then this morning when I got up (I don’t like to self-tan at night b/c my sheets totally turn tan too) I decided to take an extra step – I took a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol and wiped down my legs and arms. May be a drastic measure but I just thought I would experiment. I can totally tell a difference, it’s about 4-5 hrs since application. The color is better and more noticeable and even on the insides of my arms which I can NEVER get tan enough. So I’m totally back in love with Sun Labs! Guess I’ll have to order more to get me through the fall/winter 🙂

August 29, 2013 at 12:00 pm

So I ‘unofficially’ took part in the soapbox challenge. Mostly because my sisters are always on my case to drink more water and I got the stinky eye from the midwife for not drinking enough water (I had a baby 8 months ago and I’m still breastfeeding) so I was like ‘fine, fine!’ So then I decided since I was going to drink all the water I might as well do the rest. I didn’t wash every night and I’m sure there were a few days where I didn’t get all my water in but overall I did much better than I have been doing. I took a bare faced pic and sent it to my sister and she was like “oh my goodness! you look 16!” I’m turning 31 on Monday. Best. Outcome. Ever. So I have to say ‘THANKS!’ for getting my butt in gear. I notice the changes myself also as my pregnancy/hormonal ache weird skin stuff is clearing up and despite the fact that the baby boy is still not sleeping through the night I don’t look as haggard and tired as I did. So yay! Success!

August 29, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Who is your t-shirt by in this video? I love it!!

Thank you!

kassie brinkerhoff
    August 29, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I have been reading your blog for awhile now..I just love you. I grew up in st george! Small world right?
    I have a question that no one has been able to answer for me. I have a light brown birthmark on my face and have hated it my whole life. I have tried make up..creams..and even laser treatments. Nothing has worked. My husband and family say they love it and I look just fine, but I still don’t feel pretty. Do you have any tricks or tips to help me cover up this thing??
    Kassie B

August 29, 2013 at 5:04 pm

How do you select your contest winners?

August 29, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I really loved this video!!

Sincerely Miss Ash

Rachel P
    August 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Cara, I have been devoted to your blog for over a year now, loved it and follow your awesome tricks! Tonight I finally compelled to finally say something out loud. I am reaching out to you. I think it was the fact your sister n law has gorgeous long flowing locks that make her look feminine and amazing, but I started to tear up. Many years I have trued tricks pills, multiple tries and countless amounts of money at long hair, never successful. You name it, even fusion extensions I have done it. I always end up cutting to chin/ above shoulder length hair. It’s thin and fine and by the time i can grow it, its so stringy or damaged it has to be cut. I am a Wen user as well. To get to the point, as a beauty blogger many girls like me need help, us shorter haired girls! Maybe some tutorials or articles for styles that aren’t for people with long gorgeous blessed locks. Anything would really be appreciated! Much love

September 2, 2013 at 7:46 am

here here! I haven’t tried for the long hair before, as I love having short hair! I think people with short hair are viewed as being “fun”. However, it would be fun to have some cute styles for us girls that love our short hair (mine is usually chin to shoulder length as well).

September 2, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I really would love to see some fun things for shorter hair! I can read my above note and laugh at the grammar errors! I typed it one handed from phone while my toddler was sleeping on my arm…. Love the site Cara!

Becky H
    August 30, 2013 at 7:11 am

I absolutely love that necklace! Any info as to where you purchased it? The tshirt and necklace combo is stunning!!

August 31, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I think it’s a great challenge and I will try it as well, however the time of the month really also affect puffiness and break outs so it’s hard to tell what really had the effect.

September 2, 2013 at 7:43 am

Question! I am PALE and have dark hair. I don’t really like self tanners… at all. How about a makeup routine for us proud and pale girls with dark hair (I have light blue eyes)? I feel like most, if not all, of your makeup things are for tan ladies, (I think I saw one for pale skin, but she was light haired and/or ginger) which is fine, since most people don’t mind using self tanners. However, I am sure I am not alone in my pale-ness! 🙂 Also, a good concealer for us pale girls would be good too.

September 4, 2013 at 4:15 pm

First of all- what is that gorgeous nail polish you’re wearing??? Secondly, Since you are sweet enough to share your tips on a good long, layered cut- would you consider posting a few pics for us to actually use?! Magazine photos are often overstyled, and just the way you had your hair falling in the video looked natural enough that would be the perfect example to show a hairdresser! Be our personal hair model please!!!!!

September 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I am not sure, but I think this necklace from Target looks either exactly like it or very similar. It also comes in other colors. I have it and it is beautiful!

September 14, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Cara, after becoming a new mom and being out of the makeup game for almost two years, you have seriously changed my life!!! Thank you!! I do have a question that’s been bothering me. It is still dark out when I get ready in the morning and the bathroom in my apartment has truly AWFUL lighting. Do you have any tips for this problem? I just feel like the right lighting makes all the difference in makeup and I need a solution! Thank you!!

oakley whisker polarized
    August 28, 2014 at 10:54 am

Brûler casque casque principalement pot diaphragme, pour l’instant, l’épaisseur de la membrane a une mince casque électrostatique à 1,35 microns (STAX SR 404), le diaphragme mobile casque de bobine seulement quelques microns à quelques dizaines de microns (nos cheveux un diamètre d’environ 6090 micromètres). Le diaphragme dans le processus de fabrication lui-même, l’existence de contraintes internes dans la liaison et la bobine est fixé au moment de l’assemblage de châssis et le stress est généré, et nous disons que le casque de pot est la disparition progressive de ces contraintes, de sorte que la membrane envoyé progressivement Hue Bonne processus rigoureux..

air max pas cher
    August 28, 2014 at 10:55 am

Dans le processus de promotion du progrès social, qui sont tous deux indispensables à critiquer, et même peut être dit que dans la Chine d’aujourd’hui, la bataille de la critique politique est plus important et plus urgent. Le problème est que je suis des critiques politiques individuels vu trop de choses là-bas au-delà de la croyance, ça me fait tellement confus que je suis très pessimiste quant à l’avenir de la Chine, ce n’est pas seulement à cause de la puissante force de intérêts particuliers, l’enlèvement de l’ensemble du pays, et il est difficile d’être secouer, plus important encore, je vois du niveau intellectuel du peuple chinois vraiment pas faire un bon travail et la préparation de l’esprit démocratique de l’idée, j’ai le pressentiment que si l’ère de la libéralisation de la Chine est, ne sera pas accompagne les étudiants seront démocratiques, mais l’esprit d’une longue agitation et les troubles sociaux (les intérêts matériels spirituelle de diverses forces politiques différends), il faut être très grande, tout comme l’Egypte d’aujourd’hui.