Makeup

The difference between no makeup and “No Makeup”

NOMAKEUP
So I spent the better part of the evening editing the video for this ‘barely there’ makeup look without noticing it was INCREDIBLY BORING until the very end when I couldn’t even bare to proof watch it.
I already have a pretty low threshold for watching myself in videos as it is but this one was especially bad.
SO I’m gonna do it again this morning and up my game a wee bit.
In the meantime, did I tell you guys that I am a contributor at Allure.com now?
Each month I do one article and one makeup video recreating the look from the cover of the magazine!
I’m pretty excited about it.
This week I wrote about all the many primers and which ones I like best for different types of skin.
Have a look at that HERE.
I hope you’re all enjoying the #soapboxchallenge so far, let me just say, the worst part about drinking all that darn water has got to be the many million bathroom breaks.
Other than that, it’s going pretty good for me.
And you will be proud to know I flossed today.
I plan to floss again tomorrow.
Thank you for the push, I really needed it.
signature

83 Comments

Gjest
    August 15, 2013 at 4:07 am

Wow, you have the most incredible blue eyes!!

August 16, 2013 at 12:00 am

Thank you so so much!

kristin lanclos
    August 15, 2013 at 4:32 am

I cant wait to see the results when I’m finished with soapbox challenge. Im pretty good at drinking water. Its washing my face at night I have trouble with. With a 4yr old and 4 month old im ready to hit the sack at night. But im up for a challenge. Do I need to post a picture each day or just beginning and end???

August 16, 2013 at 12:01 am

Nope just the beginning and end! I bet your are tired! Sometimes it helps me to do it after dinner before I get too tired! Good Luck!

Lindsey
    August 15, 2013 at 4:34 am

Congratulations on winning beauty blogger of the year! I’m a fan of allure and your blog, so it was great to see they chose you as contributor!

August 16, 2013 at 12:02 am

Thank you Lindsey!

Angela
    August 15, 2013 at 4:48 am

Which allure issue are you in? I was hoping to find it to ready our article.

August 16, 2013 at 12:03 am

October Issue!!! I can’t wait to see it!

kim
    August 15, 2013 at 5:03 am

I am taking on the challenge and loving the idea of it. I can’t wait to see what happens! And as a dental hygienist, I must say that I’m super excited to hear that you flossed!!! haha! It really does help!!!

August 16, 2013 at 12:14 am

haha Thanks for the support, I actually don’t know why I’ve avoided it so long. It’s nice feeling so clean!

Sabrina Jackson @WorkItMsJackson
    August 15, 2013 at 5:11 am

I’m taking on the challenge and I did poorly on my water but I did set my phone to remind me to wash my face at night and moisturize in the morning. I know, I know, that’s sad, vut I will forget otherwise. LOL!

Oh, and CONGRATS on the Allure job! I’m heading over now to read your article! 😉

August 16, 2013 at 12:15 am

I have to set my phone to remind me to do EVERYTHING! No shame in that:) and thank you so much!

Rachel
    August 15, 2013 at 5:18 am

That is ahMAZING about the monthly Allure article/video!! I know it is exciting for you but it has to be even more exciting for us, because it means even more material from you that we get to check out 🙂 And I love barely there makeup, the before-after you posted here shows what a big difference that small amount can make.

August 16, 2013 at 12:17 am

Thank you so much Rachel! I love barely there makeup too! So fun to bring out the natural!

Beth @ Sawdust and Embryos
    August 15, 2013 at 5:41 am

The before/after is incredible! You’re gorgeous either way… and your cheekbones? UGH!

August 16, 2013 at 12:17 am

haha thanks Beth!

littlewingdesign
    August 15, 2013 at 5:51 am

I’m so happy you shared the Allure article. I can’t wait to try the Stila primer for the redness correction I so badly need. that barely there makeup look is exactly what I’m after- looking forward to the tut!

August 16, 2013 at 12:18 am

Thank you, you’ll love that Stila Primer, one of my all time favorites!

trishmcbrown
    August 15, 2013 at 5:59 am

I don’t care if your video is boring…I love all the great tips and watching how you make the magic happen 🙂

August 16, 2013 at 12:19 am

haha thank you! I’m glad you don’t mind my boring!

Amber
    August 15, 2013 at 6:07 am

I was totally going to post a pic of my toilet for the soapbox challenge!!! Love your vids and all your tutorials – keep it up!!!

August 16, 2013 at 12:20 am

hahaha good idea! Thank you!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    August 15, 2013 at 6:07 am

No porefessional?

lizteabee
      August 15, 2013 at 7:18 am

I was surprised about that, too.

August 16, 2013 at 12:28 am

haha I know! I think that Porefessional is a bit less of a multitasker so I chose the Becca since it is also hydrating.

CJ Vierow
    August 15, 2013 at 6:11 am

Cara–different floss can be a big help especially if your teeth are tight against each other. I use Glide floss because it’s easier to get between my teeth. And it doesn’t shred as easily. A side note–flossing is also good for your heart health! Congrats on all your great news. I enjoy your posts and your happy outlook.

August 16, 2013 at 12:29 am

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. I might just become worlds most committed flosser after this:)

MonicaJ
    August 15, 2013 at 6:20 am

Really enjoyed the article! Thanks for sharing. I will be doing the #soapboxchallenge, my biggest hurdle is drinking THAT much water! Wish me luck!

August 16, 2013 at 12:30 am

Good Luck! I’m excited to see the results!

Anna
    August 15, 2013 at 6:25 am

You write for Allure! A regular girl with big dreams. You rock!

August 16, 2013 at 12:30 am

I know! I’m so excited:) Thanks so much!

AJMoore
    August 15, 2013 at 6:45 am

Just the other day I was reading a blog-esque type article and it had about 86 pictures of “stars” without makeup. It went on to say how beautiful they all are and didn’t need a stitch of makeup…except that there were multiple pictures of some “stars” and AMAZINGLY Kim K’s eyelashes got a little longer the more pics I flipped through. My point is this, I love going bare face, it keeps my skin clear and well, it saves me a crap load of time in the morning ;-), but let’s keep it real, a girl needs some cream and Lord knows a tinted Chapstick every once and awhile! I am glad you’re doing this tutorial to show women that you can look beautiful without caking it on and that it’s possible that all those “stars” out there who show their bare face just may have a tinted Chapstick 😉 thanks Cara!! And might I say for the record that bare face or makeup we women pretty much rock either way 😉

August 16, 2013 at 12:31 am

haha I love that you noticed that! I love a good bare face and you couldn’t be more right, we totally rock:)

lac114
    August 15, 2013 at 6:59 am

Funny that you were so bored! Personally, I am not a fan of tutorials. Love hauls and reviews, though!

August 16, 2013 at 12:32 am

I like those too, maybe I should do more videos about that stuff!

hayleyanngrade
    August 15, 2013 at 7:04 am

Oh I love this! I am always trying to explain to my husband…that when he says I look good with “no makeup” he’s not actually seeing me with NO makeup, I’m just tricking him! 😉 Looking forward to the tutorial, I’m sure its not boring!!
    x,Hayley

fefechristine
    August 15, 2013 at 7:05 am

How exciting that you get to work with Allure!

Paula
    August 15, 2013 at 7:12 am

I’m going to find a Sephora this weekend to get the Becca primer and foundation.
    You are the best!!

tee
    August 15, 2013 at 7:15 am

First – luv your blog and your enthusiasm about …. everything. I do have a comment/question about NO makeup. All that highlighting and contouring is lovely and you do have a clean, looking no colored face, BUT (always the but…) I think it’s something that look great for photos and harder to pull off in real life. I turned my 18 yr old onto your site (it always amazes her how MOM knows all the cool stuff before her) and she has been C/H since learning from you. I can always tell – even when it’s subtle. mostly the nose…. it usually looks pretty obvious – on ANYONE. Any comments about that.

Rae
      August 15, 2013 at 6:49 pm

^ I’m with you…I feel like my HACing looks so obvious! Even when I only do a little. :/ Maybe it’s just me?

Maria
    August 15, 2013 at 7:31 am

Ok firstly I totally forgot to drink water – shame on me!
    But I put my cream in the morning like for the first time in ages. Thanks for inspiration! 🙂

Sabrina b
    August 15, 2013 at 7:38 am

I love the makeup. So simple and classy. U look like Megan fox.

Barb B
    August 15, 2013 at 7:40 am

When your body truly gets hydrated the visits to the bathroom will be fewer and your body will really crave that much water. It’s such a great thing!

Gretchen Joy
    August 15, 2013 at 7:42 am

I am SO excited to see this video! Your “no makeup” look is so gorgeous. I will have to learn this technique and use it while at work. I work for the most naturally gorgeous woman in the entire world (I swear… she’s like a Lebanese princess with the skin of a baby!) and I always feel like it’s too much when I am in my normal makeup, but it’s just not okay to bare-face it all day, every day either.

I totally forgot to take my before shot yesterday! I am going to have to do it today so I can get in on this Soapbox Challenge.

Gretchen Joy
      August 15, 2013 at 8:12 am

OH– and also… I always forget to ask. Is there a eyelash curler that you recommend? I have pretty naturally curly lashes, but I think a nice boost every once in a while isn’t a bad idea. I have only ever tried one, which was pretty cheap and felt like it was ripping all of my lashes out. (Yikes!) Any recommendations?

Taylor
        August 16, 2013 at 4:53 am

I am obsessed with Tarte’s lash curler. For $16 it also comes with a deluxe sample of mascara. It seems to be the perfect shape for my eye and the pads are very soft. Worth a try! (:

Maca
    August 15, 2013 at 7:57 am

Man I wish I had your skills. I’m a fan of the no makeup makeup but I don’t look half as good haha you are gorgeous!

Sara
    August 15, 2013 at 8:25 am

CONGRATULATIONS on the new article!!! That is so great! Love all your tutorials. I’ve been doing the I don’t care hair and the soft and subtle makeup from the latest video.

Megan
    August 15, 2013 at 8:42 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I love how you seem to remain so grounded and self-depricating even as the world continues to find out that you are an incredibly special/gifted/beautiful/kind (the list goes go on and on) artist. I hope the opportunities continue to flow in for you and you are able to still show us normal folks how to be beautiful!
    I drink way too much water (over 200 ounces!!…what is wrong with me?), NEVER sleep with make-up, always moisturize my face, and floss my teeth. I need a frizzy/nasty hair challenge? HAHAHA! Can’t wait to meet you…in less than a month!!!

Liz T
    August 15, 2013 at 8:52 am

Try a sonicare air flosser! I never flossed until I got this from my dentist!!! I now floss every night! If it saves me from 1 cavitity it’s worth the money! http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonicare-HX8211-02-Rechargeable/dp/B00CUG270S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376581916&sr=8-4&keywords=sonicare+air+flosser

Hannah James (@hannncjames)
    August 15, 2013 at 9:30 am

Cara, What do you use to get your chin looking so flawless? I get the same red breakouts on the bottom of my chin and can’t seem to find a way to correct the redness without making it look so cakey, but in this pic I’m AMAZED at how well it’s covered!

Becky
    August 15, 2013 at 9:51 am

What an awesome new gig!! Congrats!

Jenn Long
    August 15, 2013 at 10:20 am

Thank the good lord for Pinterest because that is how I discovered you! I ADORE your blog, I have never followed one before, cuz I have never found one worth following! Then I found some pins with your work, which is ahhhmazing! But even more importantly (IMO) is your obviously beautiful soul. Keep up the good work, you are making a difference to so many!

Brooke-Michigan
    August 15, 2013 at 10:41 am

I cannot wait to see the video! You look absolutely stunning in this post!

Lauren
    August 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

Congratulations on the New Allure Feature! I love reading your blog and seeing your makeup ideas and tutorials. Keep them coming!

Michaela
    August 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Love the before and after! You have me hooked on your blog!

Marissa
    August 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Congrats on Allure! I just started following your blog this summer and finally decided to subscribe. The first blog I’ve subscribed to ever-you are that good! 🙂 I do have a question right away though, I checked out all the primers you mentioned in your Allure article and they are all pretty pricey for me…I would try them but wondered, if there is a second best something that will work to cover skin imperfections such as bumps under the eye and large pores AND isn’t 35 bucks an ounce?

Taylor
      August 16, 2013 at 4:56 am

I know it sounds strange, but Monistat makes an anti-chafing gel that has almost the same ingredients as Smashbox’s original primer. At my grocery store, it is only about 6 bucks. I personally like it a lot!

Sabrina
        August 18, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I love the Monistat “primer.” I haven’t found one that works better and for $6 you can’t beat it.

Julie
    August 15, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I’m so excited to read your allure column! I love the “no makeup” side by side comparison! So true!

jenafer
    August 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I posted this on your allure post but I wasn’t sure if you would be checking/answering questions there so I’ll re post here 🙂

Hi Cara, I’m very excited your doing these articles! Congrats! I love you blog. My skin has redness and is pretty dry will the Still be good for dryness as well? Or can you recommend a different one that is good for redness and dryness? Thanks!

Nury
    August 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm

You look beautiful, with or without makeup! Your eyes are so beautiful too 🙂

Liana Rotzal
    August 15, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Hi I have learned so much from you! You are a great teacher! I have a problem with lipsticks bleeding through. Is there a technique or product to stop this?

Joi
    August 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm

wow that’s pretty impressive. Congrats on the Allure deal 🙂

Jennifer Scarrow
    August 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Now we need to know the steps in writing! This is a great, quick look.

Charlie Gibson
    August 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm

As a female soldier, I can not wait for your video!! Hurry up!!! Love you Cara!:)

Betsy
    August 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Hey Cara! I am sure you get a million requests… but I just have to make one in hopes that I am not the only one. About a year ago I stumbled across NARS powder blush in Exhibit A (it is basically a very intimidating, blinding red). I immediately wanted it, and bought it. I kind of kept it in my kit and focused on the more pinky-peachy colors you were doing in your tutorials.

Last month I pulled it out and Cara, it is so freaking gorgeous! I was wondering if you have tried it, or (fingers crossed) thought about doing a review/tutorial? I get compliments all the time. It just gives me this perfect just-saw-the-man-of-my-dreams-and-he-winked-at-me blushy glow. I do not think I will ever wear another blush. So if you have time, check it out!

I have been following you for a year now, and your success makes me so happy! Keep it up girl! We just love you!

meghansilva
    August 16, 2013 at 2:08 am

Can’t wait to see the new video, love the “barely there” look.

Anisha S.
    August 16, 2013 at 5:32 am

I can’t wait to see the tutorial too. I’ve been wanting an easier look for those dawn to dusk busy days approaching with kids activities and structured school schedule.

the makerista
    August 16, 2013 at 6:52 am

congrats on the contributing opportunity, cara! that is so exciting! the barely there look you do is similar to what i do every day. 🙂 looking forward to a video!

redtagcouture
    August 16, 2013 at 7:14 am

So pretty! Can’t wait for the video. Congrats on your success! Your blog is the only beauty blog I follow!!

XO RTC

Jessica T
    August 16, 2013 at 7:32 am

I’m SO excited you are going to be a contributor to Allure! I must start reading it now.

I have a bit of a question/request for you. I LOVE your 90 (or is it 60?) second smokey eye tutorial, I do it every day. Now when I do my make up though, when I put on the eye liner before I smudge it you’re right, it just looks too harsh. BUT I used to be an avid liquid eyeliner fan, a la Adele, bit of a wing out and everything. But now that I do my eyes your way I can’t seem to reconcile the soft smudgey look you do with the exacting lines of liquid eye liner like Adele. And I’m getting married soon and I have NO Idea what to do for my eye make up because of this! If you were going to do a liquid eyeliner look like Adele, how would you do it? Some tips or a tutorial would be AMAZING!

Thank you!!! LOVE reading your blog, I recommend to all my friends. Someone even commented on how good my make up looks lately and I sent her the link!

Brenda A
    August 16, 2013 at 2:14 pm

In regards to your primer wars post, have you ever tried the Mary Kay foundation primer? It has a broad spectrum spf, so I feel like I get double duty when I use it. It’s non-comedogenic and makes my skin feel like velvet! Love it! I know it isn’t sold in stores, so wanted to see if you’ve ever used it.

Judy H.
    August 16, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Congratulations on landing your post at Allure! Best of luck!

michelle
    August 19, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Congrats on Allure!! So Great. The way you see beauty in everyone is an inspiration! Thanks for that
    Super glad to hear you flossed 🙂 It’s a real life saver

Chick’s Week n°51 | Smells like Chick Spirit
    August 26, 2013 at 8:19 am

[…] mon idole du make up nous explique la différence entre le no make up et le "no make up"… Dit comme ça, il n’y en a pas vraiment. Et pourtant elle est flagrante […]

Compras na Beauty Joint! | Não nasci diva
    October 2, 2013 at 6:36 am

[…] Segue a imagem das amostras em um look ao estilo “no makeup makeup”. […]

KelleeAnne
    October 22, 2013 at 7:30 am

I have decided I really need your expertise in my life! You make this look soo easy and flawless!!
    Very inspiring. How do you decide on the correct colors? I feel like I’m very critical and do not want to look like a clown with my makeup. Also just haven’t found the right anything for my makeup brands and colors.

Jenni Rae
    November 22, 2013 at 10:42 am

Absolutely gorgeous before and after! 😉 You are absolutely inspiring!

Jenni Rae
    November 22, 2013 at 10:44 am

And I just love seeing your face in Allure! You must have to pinch yourself daily!

Tiffany
    November 25, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Cara you are so pretty, inside and out. I love your blog!

Boni
    February 11, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Gretchen Joy, I hear that the eye lash curler from Japonesque ( I think that’s the name) is fantastic. I want to try it out myself! I heard about it from the beauty board I frequent. HTHS!

katie
    June 22, 2014 at 10:59 am

I might just be missing it but did you happen to post the video for the no makeup vs “no makeup” post above? Can you tell me where to find it? Thx! 🙂