Beauty Basics Skincare

#soapboxchallenge

I  get on soap boxes.

#soapboxchallenge

Once I got on one about people walking or riding bikes on the road DIRECTLY NEXT to the designated biking/running trail.
(By the tone of my sentence it’s clear I’m not quite over it yet.)
It finally culminated in Rachel and I parking the car and jetting out to catch up with the road runner.
Not because I wanted to harass the poor guy or anything just because I really needed answers. Was there something I didn’t know about these runners that made it perfectly logical to risk their lives on winding roads when a trail is literally spitting distance from their feet?
As we caught up I asked him as gently as I could.
“Hey. So… why the road? Why not…the trail?” ( magician hand gesture toward the shiny black trail)
His answer will forever leave me empty and unfulfilled.
“Um (looks at the trail as if he’s never seen it before) I dunno….This is just….my run.”

It’s kind of like the exasperation I imagine my dental hygienist feels when she asks me for the millionth time if I floss regularly and I start to squirm uncomfortably.
“I just….don’t think about it?”
Which is a pretty great lead in for  her soapbox.
And yet, I still don’t floss often er….ever.

Which is kind of making me wonder about this post at all, cause if she can’t convince me to floss and she’s up close and personal in my mouth with sharp objects, is it really possible that I can convince anyone of anything?

Maybe not.

But I’m gonna try anyway
because I love you.

Here’s the challenge:
Do all three of the following challenges for 2 weeks.
Take a before and an after photo.
Notice differences (if any)
Tag your results on twitter, insta or facebook (you don’t have to include a before in your tag if you’re shy, any or no photo is fine) #soapboxchallenge  (also tag me so I can see them all!)
You can tag once a day for the whole two weeks and at the end of it I’m gonna give one of the taggers a $50 Girt Certificate to Sephora.
I realize this is kind of another giveaway so, sorry if those are getting annoying, I just really want some good motivation and… money talks.
You will be giving me a MUCH better gift of knowing once and for all if my soapbox is even as important and awesome as I think it is.

1. MOISTURIZE!
I know I have talked about this many times, yet many of even my closest friends are still depriving their skin of some MUCH needed hydration.
With wonderful moisturizers like this one costing almost nothing, you really don’t have an excuse not to give it a try.
Thirsty skin can cause dullness, caked looking makeup, magnified lines, breakouts, irritated skin, uneven texture and oddly it can even cause oilyness.
For the next two weeks slather on ample amounts of a good creamy moisture to your face morning and night.

2. Drink a TON of water!
When I am skimping on my H2O my face pays a serious price.
Darker/ puffier circles, dull skin, red eyes and  swollen nose and eyes.
The challenge for the next two weeks is to drink at least a half a gallon of water a day.

3. Wash your face before you go to bed!
I know, I know. I get tired and lazy too. Let me tell you though, it is not worth it.
All it takes is one or two nights of unwashed sleeping before I get all cloggy in my pores and start to intensely regret the neglect.
Before I made a good habit of it I didn’t notice to stark contrast nearly as much.
The next to weeks? No skipping. Not even on no-makeup days.

I’m going to join you cause I haven’t been a saint on my water drinking lately and I often forget my morning moisture. So I’ll be posting my results as well.
If you are already doing all of this, you have my respect. You can still post the hashtag for purely gloating purposes if you like.

(PS I have been sick the last few days which is why I’ve been neglecting comments and emails. I’ll get my lazy bum in gear now that I’m feeling a little better:)
signature

136 Comments

Sabrina Jackson @WorkItMsJackson
    August 14, 2013 at 4:48 am

I NEED to do this. I know I do, and I know it’s important but I just don’t do it. Maybe this is the push I need.I’m in! Great idea!

monica
    August 14, 2013 at 4:48 am

is this before and after with or without makeup? will more tags mean more entries? Even if i don’t tag i’ll definitely be paying attention to the steps – I slack on the water lately and the face washing at night.

August 14, 2013 at 11:30 am

Either way but it would probably show you more if you didn’t have makeup on, you don’t need to post those photos though, if you feel uncomfortable. Just so you know if there was a difference!

Liezl
    August 14, 2013 at 4:50 am

YEAH! So excited!

June
    August 14, 2013 at 4:53 am

Oh man. that’s a lot of habits to try and improve on at once! And why didn’t you make one of the three flossing so you could participate? 😛

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      August 14, 2013 at 6:10 am

🙂

August 14, 2013 at 11:31 am

It is now!! I’m headed to the store the buy those easy flossers cause I think that might make me more excited about it!

apartmentwife
    August 14, 2013 at 5:09 am

hey cara! i just started following you, but i’ve never used makeup before, and i’m not sure i could do this challenge yet? should i try anyway? it might be kind of hilarious. i use your tips, but my hand shakes, and i’m more often than not rocking a clownish look. should i take all that public?

August 14, 2013 at 11:34 am

Absolutely! No requirement of makeup use here! I highly doubt you look like a clown though! I wonder if the blended eyeliner video would be good for you if you have a little shaking? It’s pretty much the one I use when I am in the car on bumpy roads with no problems:)

Jenna
    August 14, 2013 at 5:24 am

Ooh. Soapbox challenge accepted!

Dani
    August 14, 2013 at 5:43 am

Im the worlds worst at all these three things. Even though I KNOW my skin looks bad, there really is no excuse…ridiculous how we do these things! Just ordered the St Ives…starting on the 2 litre water as I type…tomorrow I expect to be Eve Mendez or else! 😉 x

August 14, 2013 at 11:34 am

haha you are awesome.

Lynn Hobbs
    August 14, 2013 at 5:53 am

Wow Cara! Are you my mudder? Kidding, and don’t get me started about runners and bikers. Our windy mountain roads are designated routes for several bikeathons, and I’ve had to hold my hubby back from running them down. I pledge to moisturize, drink the clear tasteless stuff, and wash my face before bed, because I know what you say is true. My doc recommended ICE, flavored water, no calories (sweetened with natural sucrose), and full of vitamins and antioxidants. It even has some fiz and I love it! I get it at my local grocery, 10 for $10. Keep doing what you do, and glad you’re feeling better.

August 14, 2013 at 11:45 am

ooooh that ICE stuff sounds good! I’m adding it to my #soapboxchallenge grocery list! You know I think water tastes like the worst kind of nothing so I am with you on that:)

Maggie
    August 14, 2013 at 6:03 am

I do these things 6 if not 7 days a week but I’ve been slacking on the water lately. This past weekend I worked a softball tournament and severely neglected my water intake. My skin around my nose and lips are paying for it dearly. So yes, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Hannah Trotter
    August 14, 2013 at 6:10 am

Okay so I’m kinda one of those annoying people who is completely obsessed with their skin care and I have to admit I’m super devoted to all three things. I tend to slack in other areas, like house work and laundry. Shameful, I know.

August 14, 2013 at 11:36 am

I tend to slack in all areas. Which is VERY shameful.:)

Katie S
    August 14, 2013 at 6:25 am

I accept the challenge 🙂 When I looked up St Ives, I also found the Retinol Cream. Would this cream be beneficial to try also??
    I am getting married next year and I am willing to commit to health and beauty regimines now. **I have a hard time sticking to new routines lol **

August 14, 2013 at 11:45 am

Me too! I have used some really good retinol creams before but make sure it has good ratings before you get it!

Courtney B
    August 14, 2013 at 6:26 am

I have very oily and ace prone skin. Do you know any “economically friendly” moisturizers for that. I have used the st. Ives an it tends to make me oily.

August 14, 2013 at 11:37 am

I’m looking now….Ill get back to you!

Neysha
        August 14, 2013 at 2:16 pm

My skin is oily and acne prone too. I use castor oil and Neutrogena fragrance free face wash! It really works, I swear and pinky promise 🙂 For moisturizer I use Oil of Olay spf15 and I love it. My breakouts used to spread from my cheeks to my chin and jaw line. It was awful! But the castor oil has really worked on controlling my oil production.

Nicole M
      August 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Just use coconut oil. Its all natural and WORKS. I have incredibly oily skin and have struggled with acne my entire life. My skin is also very sensitive so I have to be careful what I use on it. Coconut oil at first seems super oily BUT I promise it does absorb especially, at night. You don’t need hardly any, just put it on first thing when you wake up (or right out of the shower), go have some breakfast and then apply makeup. I didn’t believe for the LONGEST time that people with oily skin need to moisturize too, but when I finally gave it it actually helps the oil. Good luck!

Kathryn D.
        August 14, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Truth! All the products listed on this site, thus far, are all very bad for your skin. Everyone worries about pollution, pesticides in our food, etc but have no idea, nor care about what they put on their skin. Check http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ and see how your product rates. Stop polluting your skin ladies!

Laura
    August 14, 2013 at 6:31 am

Im already pretty good about all three things, but I thought I would share my favorite lotion of all time, if anyone is looking for a new one. First Aid Beaty products have been a life saver for my terrible skin! My face used to always be SO RED and I switched to this face wash and lotion combo and my skin has never looked better. If you are going to start a new routine it might be a good time to try new products!

Brenda
    August 14, 2013 at 6:45 am

I would love to hear your take on moisturizing with coconut oil! I try to use natural products and have been using it head to toe for a few months now.

August 14, 2013 at 11:49 am

I LOVE moisturizing my body with it but I haven’t felt it was creamy enough for my face;( For some skin I am sure it is plenty though!

Paula Lowe
    August 14, 2013 at 6:48 am

I will be doing this challenge! Not a big fan of water but I’ve been drinking it more here lately, its HOT in Texas! Oh, and do you have a recommendation on a foundation for oily skin??

August 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I agree! I am not either! Have you tried Becca Matte Foundation?

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
        August 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Love all these tips!

Paula
        August 14, 2013 at 5:10 pm

No I havent. Ive been a bare minerals user for years! I’ll try that next time. Thanks!!!

Paula
        August 14, 2013 at 5:17 pm

No I haven’t. But I will! Love all your tips and tutorials. Keep up the awesome work 🙂

Glorya
    August 14, 2013 at 6:53 am

Hi Cara,

I am a newbie to your blog and yet when I read another beauty blogger, I have to admit that I look to you for the final word. I’m pretty good on all three things. Except the water thing when it’s not in a bottle. I know, you may have this admission. I live in NYC where we supposedly have “great” water. Yet the urban legion is that there is so much cleansing going on to make our water drinkable, that it’s better to buy bottled water. Plus I am in love with SmartWater! I am 49 turning the big 50 late October. I’ve learned so much from you about make up and how I can look better. Even though (now) I believe I am beginning to look my age, I’ve been told I can still pull off late 30’s. I credit this toward the three challenges you issued, plus eating organic for the past 20 years, followed by no smoking and very limited alcohol in-take. I’ll try to post a picture of me. I’m a little shy.BTW, when I don’t drink enough water because I have to drink from the faucet, my skin and my entire body beg for moisture. For the record, I don’t drink sodas, juices or beer. Thanks for being a great Inspiration/Mentor/Guide for those, like my Self, who have room to learn….

August 14, 2013 at 11:51 am

Thank you for your inspiration! I can only hope to be sticking to my 30 year old looks 20 years later! Way to go! Thanks for sharing your secrets!

lizteabee
    August 14, 2013 at 7:01 am

Heh, I actually started making a big effort to do those 3 things two weeks ago today. My skin looks and feels SO MUCH BETTER. Like, now I run my fingertips over my cheek and it’s smoothish whereas two weeks ago it was all bumpy. This will be great motivation to keep it up for another two weeks!

August 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

Ohhhh I love seeing results! IT is good motivation in itself! So glad you’re way aheada me on the soap box train!

LauraBeth
    August 14, 2013 at 7:02 am

I’m exactly the same on the soapbox situation…irritated by the non-trail using walkers/runners and the flossing (or lack there of) :S
    I accept the challenge…let’s form some new positive habbits!
    I have combo/oily skin and I already mousturize with the St. Ives and love it! I like to use it on my neck, chest and the tops of my hands as well since those tend to be age-tell places.
    I drink mostly just water but could use a little more.
    But the nightly face cleansing…:( I’m TERRRIBLE 🙁 This will be my main challenge. It’s actually something I’ve just decided to commit to myself…I cleansed my face last night before even reading this post!
    Let’s do it ladies!!!!!!! Here’s to beautiful healthy skin!

August 14, 2013 at 11:56 am

Your sleeping face will totally thank you:)

Jennifer S
    August 14, 2013 at 7:04 am

I would totally do this challenge except I challenged myself to do all of these things a while back and I’m pretty good about it. Good luck to everyone participating. It really helps!

August 14, 2013 at 11:55 am

respect. 🙂

Andjelka
    August 14, 2013 at 7:10 am

I’m joining you 🙂

Millita
    August 14, 2013 at 7:29 am

Challenge accepted, especially for the water. I felt my face was weird this week and started to think that maybe I didn’t drink as much water. Thanks for confirming it to me !

I do moisturize and wash everyday. But question for everyone, if your BB cream mentions it moisturizes (mine is Proeven from Vichy) do you still moisturize before ? Cause I don’t.

Thanks !

August 14, 2013 at 11:57 am

I usually do, but I have fairly dry skin. If you feel like you are getting enough moisture with the BB cream than stick with it:)

Heather Workman
    August 14, 2013 at 7:35 am

I’m in, don’t like water, have had untouched moisturizer for month, and not consistant at washing face before bed…

Ruth
    August 14, 2013 at 7:36 am

I just read that autopsy studies show people with Alzheimer’s disease had poor dental hygiene.
    I never flossed until I read that – now I floss and that is my new soap box. I will accept your challenge.

August 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

I’m sold. Seriously, flossing every night now.

Katelyn
    August 14, 2013 at 7:38 am

I can’t wait to try it! Especially with taking a before and after I might be more inclined to do so 🙂

Kerri
    August 14, 2013 at 7:41 am

The only thing I need to work on is drinking more water. I have such a hard time with that since I’ve been a stay-at-home mom. 🙁

Ellie
    August 14, 2013 at 7:41 am

This is going to sound absolutely terrible, but – I don’t wash my face. Ever.

My skin’s pretty great! I never get spots unless I wash/moisturize my face. It hates water, soap and moisturizer but it loves being itself. 🙂

I’ll take the flossing challenge instead.

Cait
    August 14, 2013 at 7:43 am

As a runner, I 100% admit that I have run in the road, and here are some of the many reasons why; unless you are in a park where the path is clearly known to be used for bikes, runners and walkers, bikers often become very possessive of ” their” lanes and don’t take kindly to runners using them. I have often been screamed at by bikers, as they zoom by me that I’m an idiot and to get on the side walk. Now, you may ask ” if there is a side walk, why don’t you run on it? “- good question. Just like the bike lanes, walkers often feel that the side walk is for them and don’t realize they need be shared with runners and even at times bikers. How many times have you been on a side walk and had a bike zoom by only to say to yourself ” use the bike lane”. Well the drivers are telling the same person to use the side walk. I usually don’t run on sidewalks because most of the time they are being used by dog walkers ( risk the chance of stepping in poo or getting bit, jumped on by the dog), they are uneven or littered with garbage and for a runner very dangerous or, and I can’t tell you the 100ds of times this has happened, there are walkers who are completely oblivious to the fact that there are people coming up behind them and you are having to breathlessly yell “excuse me” only to have them glare at you, karate chop at you ( you freaken them out ) or have to dodge them and end up running into a bush, a fence, a curb exc. I would rather just run in the street.

I will be sure to wash my face tonight.

August 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Cait, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
      I have waited years for an answer so complete as this. It makes total sense. No one wants to get yelled at or karate chopped. I feel like you just swiped the soap box beneath my feet! 🙂

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
        August 14, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Lol

Becca
        August 15, 2013 at 7:50 am

Hahahaha. This really cracked me up! It does totally make sense now. Now if I could only get answers to why some people do not use the turning lane as it’s intended. Why slow down to a snail’s pace in the regular lane just to dart into the turning lane 3 feet before your turn and still have your back end in the way in the regular lane? You just completely defeated the purpose of the turning lane! I NEED TO KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENS.

I’m accepting the challenge. Some weeks I’m sooo good at drinking water, and others I just forget. And I’m TERRIBLE at washing my face before bed. Awful. And I even KNOW that I should because when I don’t, I start breaking out. Why do I do this to myself???

I also don’t floss. I clearly have some majorly bad habits and am going to end up with dry, swollen skin and Alzheimer’s for the rest of my life if I don’t commit to this challenge.

Accepted.

Elizabeth
        August 30, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Another reason runners choose to run on the road versus a sidewalk, besides the above mentioned hazards is that road asphalt is softer than concrete and supposed to be slightly better on your joints.

Heather Ferguson
      August 15, 2013 at 6:19 am

Thanks for this explanation because I’ve never understood why people would run in the bike lane. I just spelled out why cyclists ride in the road and not in the bike lane in a comment below. (Bike lane debris and gravel is death to a road biker, and the car lanes are much cleaner and safer).

Ams
      August 16, 2013 at 8:15 pm

To add to it as a runner, side walked are notoriously uneven… One catch on a 1/2 inch rise, broken collar bone and separated shoulder….. Ouch ouch and more ouch

Heather
    August 14, 2013 at 7:55 am

I just started following your blog and I feel a bit like a stalker… Checking to see when you’ve posted and going back and reading old posts until 2am

August 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I love you for that. If it makes you feel better I was almost surely up posting until 2 am, so we may as well have been hanging out the whole time:)

erin draper (@erindraper)
    August 14, 2013 at 7:56 am

Hi Cara! I love me a good soapbox rant!

I will accept your challenge. However, I do these things already and I even use the St Ives moisturizer! To up the ante, I am going to combine this challenge with a juicing and “beautiful skin” diet (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty/foods-for-healthy-skin). Let’s see if green tea and chocolate really make a difference!

Love your blog and advice! xo

August 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Ohhhh! I like how you’re upping your game a notch! Can’t wait to see how it goes!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      August 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Try Matcha green tea. I put mine in my smoothies. Its delicious!

H
    August 14, 2013 at 7:57 am

Love your blog! Definitely doing the challenge! I tried the Tomas spray tanner and it was very runny and splotchy??! What should i do differently?

August 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Oh no! That’s no good. I wonder if you got a bad batch? Question: how fair are you to begin with?

NIkki
        August 15, 2013 at 6:50 am

Mine was the same. I bought it too and had the same problem. 🙁

NIkki
          August 15, 2013 at 6:51 am

It came out looking like sunspots and freckles. It was awkward to “rub” in too. And I am not super light I would consider my skin to have a light tan.

H
        August 16, 2013 at 6:38 am

I live at the beach so I have pretty tan skin year round.. I bought it just for my neck because I SPF my face and neck to death and I thought the spray would be super helpful?? After I sprayed it on, it looked so runny that I freaked out and jumped in the shower! Maybe I will try again when I dont need to leave the house for a couple days??? 🙂

Anna
    August 14, 2013 at 8:02 am

Preface: I LOVE YOU! Love your blog. You have changed my beauty life in many ways. With that said…I use that moisturizer twice a day because you recommended it and I loved the price. I don’t feel like it moisturizes very well at all. I drink tons of water everyday. I am the most religious face washer in the world. I have crap skin. 30 years old with acne and eternally clogged pores. With the exception of Accutane, nothing seems to cure my complexion. I totally agree with your soapbox-these are things that everyone should do regardless of the outcome. I know my skin would be that much worse if I didn’t moisturize, drink water, or cleanse. Just know that it doesn’t always result in clear happy skin:)

Ren
      August 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

hi anna! think about trying Lerosett…its not super cheap (i ordered it for $24 on amazon) but its really helped me with unclogging my pores. I was getting really painful small cysts under my skin and it totally helped to reduce the inflammation. The reviews said it can cause dryness, so I started using Burts Bee’s Daily Acne Solutions Moisturizer and it might be the first moisturizer that doesn’t make me breakout. I know everyone’s skin is different and what works for one wont work for another but I was desperate and Lerosett really helped. Hope this helps!

I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has used this…i was actually amazed by it.

Vicky ZA
      August 14, 2013 at 10:49 am

I know it sounds insane, but have you tried oil cleansing? I am also 30 years old and have struggled with acne. I started cleansing with just coconut oil about 7 months ago and the difference is amazing. Oil breaks down other oil and your skin’s ph balances out. I hope that you find something that works for you, but I humbly offer this as an option.
      I understand your frustrations, I have been there for a long time myself. I wish you healthy and beautiful skin, however you may find it.

charlotte
        August 14, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Huge second on oil cleansing. I’m almost 40 and had suffered with extreme combo, acne, and blackhead prone skin my entire life. I threw out everything I had two years ago and went to evoo as a cleanser and moisturizer.. totally changed my skin. Blackheads are a thing of the past, skin is soft and smooth, no more flakes, less oily, and I may get one or two tiny hormonal breakouts a month which are gone in a day.

Alicia
    August 14, 2013 at 9:16 am

I now want to do this, simply because it’s a challenge! Haha.
    I don’t have/use Twitter/Instagram, so the competition portion of it isn’t going to be helpful (though I would love a gift card to sephora).

I wonder if my skin has been acting so weird because my face isn’t getting enough mosterizer. I bought “simply” facial moturizer, but stop using it often.

Should it only be in the morning when we use it, or at night as well?

Kristina
    August 14, 2013 at 9:22 am

I normally do all 3 of these things religiously but I just realized I’ve been seriously slacking on my water this week due to my move…starting on that one right now! Thanks for the reminder. 🙂

Miss Amanda
    August 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

BEAUTY ROUTINE QUESTION:
    I am using either a BB or a CC cream (depending on my mood, I have both) and they both tout “moisturizer” as one of the things they replace. Do I still need to use a separate moisturizer in conjunction with my (expensive) BB or CC cream?

August 14, 2013 at 12:04 pm

It totally depends on you and your skin. If you feel like your skin is still vibrant and moisturized without it then the creams are doing the trick. No need to fix it if it’s not broken! If it feel a little dry still add some extra moisture:)

hayleyanngrade
    August 14, 2013 at 9:28 am

It amazes me how many of my friends DON’T wash their face at night…and if they don’t bathe that day…then their face doesn’t get washed at all! Can you imagine?? You stay on that soap box please!!

cathyjanec
    August 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

I think I may be able to CONVINCE YOU TO FLOSS!!!!!!! I was same as you, never flossed all my life and then a friend told me to floss some of my teeth and then smell the floss. Well, I did it and it smells SOOOOOO DISGUSTING! Especially where you have teeth really really close together. The stench is the rotting food and plaque wedged in there, that brushing just does not get! After having to spend cash on some cavities and a wisdom tooth removal, I wanted to take better care of my teeth. I find the floss picks are the easiest and so quick to use (great also for teeth really close together like some I have), rather than taking the string type and trying to fit my hands in my mouth to floss (major flossing deterrent)! In the end, the shame of the stench worked 😉 Try it!!

Beth
    August 14, 2013 at 10:21 am

Cara, I accept your challenge… But I challenge you to floss! Do you know it’s almost more important than brushing? I never used to floss but now I do at least 5 days a week (hey, sometimes I don’t feel like it either). I recommend getting a pack of those flossers. I use plackers gentle glide. They have a nice minty flavor. Flossing actually makes the dentist trip easier because the hygienist has less to pick at.
    Okay… Off MY soapbox.

Now off to drink my water.

Elizabeth
    August 14, 2013 at 10:33 am

I already do all of these things… lol. Does that mean I’m out for the challenge? 🙂

August 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm

nope just keep on keepin on! It still counts as long as you use the hashtag!

BB
    August 14, 2013 at 10:35 am

I already do all three of those things! Daily!! And YES, you must must must floss, it’s so important! I’m in dental school right now and the benefits of flossing are craaazy!

Vicky ZA
    August 14, 2013 at 10:40 am

I definitely do all three, but I applaud you for challenging others to do so. I use coconut oil as a cleanser at night, makeup or no, then moisturize with the St. Ives (amazing). Also use a sunscreen moisturizer in the morning. When it comes to water, did you know that you should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces of water per day? That is the perfect amount to keep you hydrated and flush out your system. For example: If you weigh 120 pounds, you should drink 60 oz of water a day. It is truly amazing the difference it makes in body, skin, mind, everything. Good luck to everyone! I know it has taken me time and effort to make sure I do all three of these things (almost) every day.

Julie
    August 14, 2013 at 10:46 am

There are people who don’t do these things??? I would feel gross and my skin would instantly break out a la middle school if I skipped something even once. My skin’s very hard to please.

Michele
    August 14, 2013 at 10:52 am

In my neighborhood the sidewalks are a bit slanted for drainage, and running on a slant hurts my knees after a while, so I end up running in the street… but where I can, I run on the sidewalk. I’m a driver and a biker too, so I understand the different points of views, but sometimes people can’t seem to use common sense…

And as for the challenge – your timing is uncanny! I fell asleep without removing my makeup and woke up looking like death warmed over – and I’ve been using a retinol product so my skin is super-parched. I vowed never to do that again – then I checked my phone and saw your post! CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Nancy
    August 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

Dunno if someone else already addressed the running question. Asphalt is better on your joints than concrete, it’s much easier on your knees. I accept your challenge. I’m pretty good about all 3 most days of the week, but not everyday.

Katie
    August 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

I have a question about the challenge, Cara! I don’t really want to spam my friends’ newsfeeds with pictures of me (especially pictures that are not me at my best…) Could I make a single photo album of each day’s progress and tag you in the album at the end? Or maybe just make it visible to you and I? Sharing of the actual pictures doesn’t bother me, but I know I would get irritated if every single day a picture of one of my friends showed up on my newsfeed for no apparent reason…

August 14, 2013 at 12:08 pm

ABSOLUTELY! I am in no business of spamming my friends either. Do whatever makes it easier, I’m not worried about that part:)

BB
    August 14, 2013 at 11:29 am

I’m about to get on my soapbox!! 1) I’m three years from graduating dental school, and yes, flossing is incredibly important. 2) Asphalt is better for your joints than concrete for running. 3) SIGN UP FOR IPSY AND/OR JULEP. Monthly subscription services. I got six items this month from Ipsy, and three of those items are full size for only $10. http://www.ipsy.com/?refer=u-hfyqlojtwj5f34h Julep is $20 per month, but you get a chance to preview all box options and pick which one you want. You can also skip a month whenever you want without being charged! http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/184696/
    You guys will LOVE LOVE LOVE both Ipsy and Julep 🙂 i can’t recommend these services enough and I just want EVERYBODYYYY to share in the excitement!

Amber
    August 14, 2013 at 11:43 am

Any suggestion on face wash? Toners? I have a line I have been trying for 2 months but it is expensive 🙁 I would love to see a post about what products you use to exfoliate etc! Thanks!

August 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I am gonna post my latest skin care faves this week (which will help cover all the bases) keep an eye out!

Katie
    August 14, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hi Cara, I was wondering if you have ever tried using coconut oil as a face moisturizer. One of my friends swears by it and is constantly getting compliments on how awesome her skin looks. I just wasn’t sure if you have ever tried it and if so what the pros/cons are. I’m on the fence about trying it out. So any help/tips you can provide I am totally appreciative of. Thanks so much!

Melissa
    August 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Sadly I spent my 20’s and most of my 30’s forgetting to moisturizer regularly. Now 42 (typing that hurt a little) I always do my night and morning routine. As for the water I could be better, as a nutritionist and trainer I know what dehydration does to your body. Also, I pictured you running after the guy in full make up, hair and heels…he may have been speechless 🙂

Melissa
    August 14, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Cara,

I am going to risk sounding completely disgusting to everyone on here now–I NEVER wash my face. In fact, as I sit here typing, my eyelashes are sporting their 4th day of the same coat of mascara! Let me clarify a bit–when I am in the shower I will use Dove sensitive skin soap to go around my forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin. But that’s it. My skin is typically dry–especially this time of year, so I do moisturize regularly. But that’s sort of gross when I think about it too–layers and layers of moisturizer on not-so-clean skin.

So, my question for you would be: What would you recommend I use to wash my face nightly? I need something no hassle, easy, and convenient, but potent enough to take off my mascara. Ideas?

And by the way, I LOVE your blog and have been obsessed with it since my sister told me about it at the end of July…

Thanks!

Katie
    August 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Guilty as charged! I am terrible about washing my face at night. This will actually hold me accountable with a little incentive. Thanks girlie!

Becky
    August 14, 2013 at 1:38 pm

As I was reading your challenge, I was going down the list and looking for something I’m not already doing. But…..I’m already doing all of them (except probably not quite a half gallon a day) I’ve even been using that moisturizer for years. I wash my face religiously every night. I use Aveeno cleansing pads. What cleanser do you recommend for dry skin? I’m forty four and am pretty pleased with my skin so far, not a lot of wrinkles. I have the occasional breakouts though, which drive me nuts! Love your blog, keep it coming!

#soapboxchallenge from Maskcara | Blush & Lace
    August 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm

[…] morning her blog post was called #soapboxchallenge and I have to admit when I saw the title and started to read it I was intrigued about where she was […]

Megan
    August 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’m a dental hygienist, so your flossing analogy cracked me up!! It’s so true! Love your site, always makes me smile. 🙂

lostintranslatn
    August 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I loooooooooove this idea!! Please keep the challenges coming!

Jessi
    August 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I’m in the office reading this blog and I’ve been slacking major on h2o consumption. When I got to step 2 I stopped reading and got a bottle of water out of the cooler in the break room! See Cara, you’ve already convinced me!

Genesis Flores
    August 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I live in Arizona so I never lack drinking water and I moisturize all the time, I just don’t wash my face at night… I get lazy and just go to bed and it’s been showing with my recent breakouts so i will do the challenge as my motivation!

H
    August 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm

So true!! I went from having skin that usually had at least one or two pimples at a minimum plus dry/flakey AND oily patches to experiencing pretty much pimple free, even skin. My husband can’t believe how clear my skin is almost all the time! I took a year and taught myself to love water (now I do) and I clean my face every morning & night, no exceptions. The other major factor is I stopped (cold turkey) using soap or anything like soap or harsh cleaners on my face (basically the same principle as avoiding shampoo on your hair – thank you Wen!).

I use water to ease off the bulk of mascara then rub/massage organic jojoba oil all over then wipe off with a soft cloth. Depending on how much makeup I have on I may need to this more than once. If I feel it needs it I put extra moisturizing lotion on top of that, usually in the morning before I put on any makeup. You suggested St Ives Timeless Skin Moisturizer a while back and I’ve been loving it. People tell me my skin glows and I notice that makeup goes on smoother and more evenly. This seems to work on people with dry and oily skin because jojoba oil so closely matches the oil your face naturally produces it tells your face it doesn’t need to overproduce more oil which causes a shiny t zone and all the pestilence that follows. Anyway, loving this soap box and thank you for all your tips! (I’m sorry this is so long. I’m just now realizing I may be a smidge fanatical about my skin. )

jeannene
    August 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Cara,

I recently found your blog and I’m learning a lot. Have you ever tries any of the the products that make your lashes grow longer? I presently use “Latisse” and its great but would like to find something that is less expensive. Any thoughts?

Leiann
    August 14, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Hi Cara-
    I just purchased the naked pallette and wanted your opinion. Do you think Lorac’s pro pallette is better? I mostly wear browns, creams, taupe colors. Waiting on your advice.

Btw- congrats on your ALLURE award. Love your blog!

Becka T
    August 14, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Is it weird that I’m actually nervous about this? I always *try* to make myself do things like this, so I guess having someone else pushing me to do it might help! And hey, even if I don’t win the gift card, I won’t have lost anything from being good to my skin!

Leslie
    August 14, 2013 at 7:41 pm

What is your natural hair color and can you do a YouTube video of how and what you use for your hair when you dye it.

Kayleen
    August 14, 2013 at 10:33 pm

While I may be a day late (it’s August 15 here in Aus D: ) I think this is a great thing! I slack something crucial when it comes to drinking water, I’m not sure how much half a gallon is in litres but I’ll find a conversion thing on google and work it out!
    I was also led to believe that moisturising was only something done by older ladies, like people not in their teens. WROOOONG, and I don’t understand why someone didn’t tell me this earlier. My mums moisturiser isn’t an old ladies moisturiser it’s a decent brand that everyone happens to buy no matter what age.
    As for the face washing part oh boy, that’s going to be a toughy. I generally manage to wash my face both morning and night with my home made scrub which is awesome (just to toot my own horn). I may just be a comment among many but to see so many people enthusiastic and wanting to do this makes me feel like I can keep my butt on track and be nice to my skin for a little while.
    P.S. Finding your blog like a week ago was a blessing, I spent ages just going through everything and now I’m even trying my hand at HACing *happy dance*

siobhan
    August 14, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I have to say the water thing is probably *the* best advice. I drink 64oz minimum per day of water (usually more, filling up my 32 oz nalgene water bottle up 3 times) and my skin looks so glowly and nice when I do that. I will say though, that I have to pee a lot, A LOT. But once your body gets used to that much water you eliminate almost all the toxins in your body a lot more quickly… and the blemishes too. The water is totally worth it.

As for washing my face and moisturizing I’m good M-F and then the weekend hits and I end up out with friends late at night and I completely fail. I try really hard, and this post has definitely *definitely* made me refocus on my skin. But I notice it’s when my breakouts are worst.

Additionally, for myself I totally think i’d add not picking at blemishes because lord only knows how many scars I have from the habit.

Wish me luck!

Siobhain

Erin
    August 14, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Hi everyone, I totally used to never moisturizer now it’s part of my eeryday routine. Definately do NOT drink enough water. I’ve got the dark circles and bags , yuk. Those who are looking for some good moisturizer and face cleansing try cliniques 3step products. I’ve been using for about 3 yrs now and swear by it!! I have really dry skin and the moisturizer is awesome. You should try the toner as well. If you think your face is clean after you wash it, it’s amazing what is still on there. After I use the toner I still wipe stuff off. Anywho just a suggestion for those looking for good product. as I love this stuff and couldn’t keep to myself.

Redneckprincess
    August 14, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Not drinking enough water is totally my issue…I wash my face every night and moisturize like a crazy woman 🙂 Challenge accepted!

Heather Ferguson
    August 15, 2013 at 6:15 am

I started your challenge yesterday! I also had to weigh in on the biker thing. I am a cyclist and a runner. I have never and will never run in the streets (isn’t that what sidewalks are for?), but I do sometimes cycle in the street, even when there is a bike lane right there. The reason is that if you’re on a road bike and your tires are half an inch thick, any small piece of gravel can give you a flat tire or cause you to wreck. To a car, the bike lane might look clear, but much of the time, the bike lane is full of debris, trash, and gravel that makes it unsafe to bike in. Here in Colorado, the road laws actually spell out that a biker doesn’t have to stay in the bike lane if there is reason to believe it is unsafe to ride in. Before I started road biking, I never got this, either, but now I totally understand. So although I can’t explain the runner in the street, hopefully you understand why cyclists ride in the street oftentimes.

Glorya
    August 15, 2013 at 6:28 am

Hola Cara, It’s Glorya again with a few more thoughts and comments. I started playing on Pinterest which encouraged me to gather all type of beauty tips. In fact, I think it was your blog that started me in this direction. Any way, I read in a beauty magazine that if a women cleanses and moisturizes at night, come morning all she has to really do is wash her face with water and then moisturize for the day. Also, due to the tips, I also started using coconut oil at night, I use baking soda for a cleanser, baking soda with honey for a light mask…all this little DIY tricks I didn’t know. Guess what, my skin does look and feel better. BTW here in NYC bikers fight to stay alive, especially the messengers who ride for a living. Under Bloomberg, NYC became more Bike-lane friendly – does this work for the runners? I don’t know…I take the subway…jajaja…take care and don’t do too much at one time. Remember focus on getting one thing time at a time, and then move on to the next.

Sarah Wisner
    August 15, 2013 at 6:50 am

Hi Cara! I am starting the challenge 1 day late-hope it doesn’t disqualify me from the drawing, but will be doing it regardless! (Blame the 2 month old and the 2 year old for making me late…lol). I’m mostly lacking on the water part but will fill a bottle to drain each day in the fridge. Wish me luck!

Brittany Wicz
    August 15, 2013 at 7:19 am

Do you need 2 photos total one at the beginning and one at the end?

Kayleen Hampton
    August 15, 2013 at 7:31 am

Cara- Side note, I have the hardest time flossing not sure why but I just have this natural aversion to it. I went to Costco Tuesday after my dental apt and purchased a waterpik. It is life changing!!!! I use it multiple times a day because its just fun and feels good. 100 times better than flossing. You should try it!

Barb B
    August 15, 2013 at 7:35 am

With that amazing smile of yours? Flossing is a must! I do it 2-3 times a day! Check out the Philips Airfloss at http://www.usa.philips.com/c/airfloss/287417/cat/en/?origin=|mckv|sN0hHSyWt_dc&pcrid=24634208934|plid| it makes flossing a breeze! Now the slightest bit of debris between my teeth drives me crazy. If you floss for two weeks morning and night you’ll probably never go back to living with bacteria between your teeth! I know…that’s gross, but true. I am great at moisture and water but really struggle with the nighttime routine. I rarely wear make up as my skin is very sensitive to any color and the pain and swelling it causes is just not worth it, so a bail on the nighttime routine “cause I’m not wearing makeup.” I know my nighttime routine would slow down the aging process which is coming on way too quickly. Challenge accepted!

Kay
    August 15, 2013 at 9:29 am

1. Thank you for stopping that jogger, I live by a trail and am constantly annoyed by the runners and bikers next to the trail but don’t have your courage, so I will vicariously feel victorious that somewhere, someone confronted them about it.
    2. Best dentist advice I ever got was to leave those flossy things all over the house by the TV in the bathroom by the bed then you mindlessly will pick them up and floss. I tried this and not only am I flossing but so is hubby an kids, both of whom are too little to floss but whatever. I really like the packers brand.
    3 I’ve had the worst acne from 7th grade to 27 years old, until I started moisturizing using Olay night firming cream don’t know why but my skin finally after so many years of tears cleared up even when I was pregnant with my second child it stayed clear, Love it love it love it. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there that if you have acne you shouldn’t moisturize.

Elena V
    August 15, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hellow everyone. Please consider using oils to clean your face: The basic concept of this skin care and cleansing method is that the oil used to massage your skin will dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and found itself stuck in your pores. Here is the full article: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Reese
    August 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

You know what keeps me flossing? After you eat meat and then go to floss your teeth and chunks of it were left behind! Gross. That and my husband hardly ever flosses and then talks about how it smells like rotten meat when he finally does. Double gross…I kiss that mouth. 😉

Good luck with your challenge! I need to drink water period but I do moisturize like crazy. It does wonders!

Kat
    August 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm

You’re probably the only person who could convince me to put a picture of myself on the Internet without makeup!

That said, I am excited for this challenge. It’s just the push I need!

the stylish housewife » Blog Archive » #soapboxchallenge + product reviews
    August 16, 2013 at 12:09 am

[…] Anyway…my point was actually that she is having a little challenge called the #soapboxchallenge which I have a hard time believing wasn’t dreamt up specifically for me. OK, she has no idea […]

Shelley
    August 16, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I am in for the challenge. I had these 3 on my goal list. Thanks for making it more fun.

Christy
    August 19, 2013 at 6:34 am

This is so funny because I just received my bottle of lotion in the mail, per your recommendation, and started using it in the morning and at night. It really DOES make my skin feel so much better, and fresh! I took it on my vacation with me, and my sister and I used it for a week and a half. Every morning and night. We both liked it a lot! Since I feel like Ihave to wash my face before I moisturise, I have been doing two parts of your challenge already! Yay! So now for the water. I’ll do my best! Thanks for the recommendation on lotion, and the encouragement to keep up healthy habits.
    Love from D.C.!

Kasia Kubicka
    August 22, 2013 at 3:48 am

I have oily skin so I moisturize once a week just for fun 😉 If I do it more – my skin starts to produce too much sebum.
    I needed moisturize before some of the foundations, but now I have Skin79 BB Orange and I don’t need that at all 🙂 This BB is sooo awesome for oily skin.

#soapboxchallenge from Maskara | Xela Inc. Blog
    August 26, 2013 at 5:40 am

[…] what is the Soapbox Challenge?  Well, for one, its not hard, only three requirements and here is a link to what is involved so that you can join in the challenge […]

Kellynn
    August 27, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Does a BB cream count as moisturizer in the morning? I’m going to start this challenge on Thursday!

#soapboxchallenge | Less Pinning More Doing
    August 29, 2013 at 1:05 pm

[…] weeks ago, Cara Brooke {whose blog, Maskcara is freakin’ amazing, by the way} issued a challenge. The challenge involved doing 3 things that I pretty much stink at: washing your face every night, […]

Pink Haired Princess
    August 29, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Haha, I do do all three already and floss every day! That makes me some kind of angelic being right? I also use those little TePe brushes in between teeth (much nicer/easier to handle than floss) because I have bad gums (unfortunately due to my ill health rather than my dental hygiene which is spotless), annoying.

Annette
    September 7, 2013 at 10:04 am

Better late than never? I’m in – because your transformation Cara was amazing!

Maskcara Soapbox Challenge - Fashion dan Belanja Jadi Satu
    January 1, 2015 at 2:42 pm

[…] #soapboxchallenge | Maskcara – Soapbox challenge accepted! Reply Dani says: August 14, 2013 at 5:43 am Im the worlds worst at all these three things. … I use water to ease off the bulk of mascara …… […]