Makeup Popular Tutorials

Soft Neutral Makeup Tutorial

I can’t thank you guys enough for helping me get inspired.
Your requests were brilliant.
Easy makeup tutorial!
This one was inspired by this pin. Thank you Nikki for the idea!
I had so much fun with this look and I learned a few new tricks!

Hopefully you like the video, I tried doing a voice over version this time so let me know which you prefer:)

What I used:
Before the video I prepped with:
St. Ives Moisture
MUF HD Primer
& a really light application of Armani Silk Foundation
I probably wouldn’t normally wear foundation under this look but for videos it makes a big difference to have a really blank canvas.

Stila In The Light Paletteย
Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Demolition
MAC Brun for my Brows
Benefit They’re Real Mascara
Red Cherry Lashes – Wispies
Loreal True Match Powder
Flower Blush/Bronzer Duo in Beachy Keen
Covergirl Eyeliner in Mink
My highlighter but you can use Maybelline Highlighting concealer
Victoria’s Secret Lip Gloss in Prismatic Gold

Real Techniques Brush set
IT Cosmetics double ended foundation brush
Also, I used brown contacts so I could try to copy cat Ariadne as much as possible but this makeup looks just as pretty with light eyes, in my opinion. Plus, those contacts drive me crazy so I only can wear them for about an hour before I start wondering if its worth the discomfort…it never is.
Soft neutral makeup tutorial.

Have an incredible weekend!
The dress is from Forever 21ย

signature

198 Comments

Lisa
    August 2, 2013 at 4:49 am

What color is the lipstick?

Jamie H
    August 2, 2013 at 4:52 am

Yes, would love to know the lip color. Perfection as always!

August 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

Thank you!

lizteabee
    August 2, 2013 at 4:53 am

In English, Ariadne is is usually pronounced Ar-ee-AHd-nee but what you said would be using the normal Spanish vowel rules so I’m interested to see if anyone knows how Ms. Artiles pronounces it.

In yet another example of your awesomeness I really enjoyed this video and feel like a I learned some neat tricks even though I was SO DISAPPOINTED that these pins were so popular because I had no interest in them. You made me interested.

(Also, is that a card catalogue behind you? I am SO JEALOUS! I’ve always wanted one but every time I’ve found one they’ve been prohibitively expensive.)

August 2, 2013 at 10:11 am

Haha I know how you feel, I pinned one that got no repins too! YES! I found it at an antique store near my house for like $150 bucks, I felt like I was stealing.

pennyp
    August 2, 2013 at 4:58 am

I LOVE the look! I can’t wait to try it! Which color of the Loreal True Match do you use? It is great to see a video again!

August 2, 2013 at 10:23 am

I use the C8 color in this video, I sometimes the W10 if I’m working on warmer skin tones:)

Pennyp
        August 21, 2013 at 6:39 am

Wow. C8. I think I tried c6 and it seemed too dark/dirty looking. I have N5 and it seems just sort of okay-ish. I use Covergirl 410 make-up, if that gives you an idea of my skin tone. I really like the Physician Formula bronzer/blush duo you recommended a LONG time ago (the blush is three little hearts on the right side) but it seems like I have to rub the brush in the bronzer over and over and the bronzer is gone but there is a ton of blush left. Now I don’t know how to get just that color bronzer. (the girl at my Ulta said I would just have to start by buying the different bronzers and see which one was similar and then return the rest….uhm, not doing that.)
        Let me know next time you come to San Fran and I’ll just have you do a make-over Monday on me!
        THANKS!

Kristin
    August 2, 2013 at 5:04 am

Wow this is.a.really great look. Im gonna get the eyeshadow palette. I have the lorac one. Oh the benefit mascara there real link goes to Amazon for 36. I get mine from sephora for 23. Just a friendly note if others want it. Great work! Would love to know the lip color.

Diane Heiken
    August 2, 2013 at 5:08 am

I love the look and the voice over. Is that a dress you have on? Wear did you get it?

Diane Heiken
      August 2, 2013 at 5:09 am

Ok that was where not wear!

Jules
      August 2, 2013 at 5:38 am

Yes! Where is your dress from?! So pretty!

SammiB
      August 2, 2013 at 6:28 am

Yes please where did you get the white dress? Now googling like a mad woman at work and my co-worker just complemented on my hard work ethic. I hope he doesn’t see my screen. Woops. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 2, 2013 at 10:34 am

haha it is hard work googling like that:)

Ryan
    August 2, 2013 at 5:52 am

Gorgeous look! (And I’m glad you mentioned that you were wearing brown contacts because I could not figure out, for the life of me, why you looked completely different! :))

Charlene
    August 2, 2013 at 5:56 am

Do you recommend the same colour Loreal true match for fair skin or a lighter shade?

Kelly M
      August 2, 2013 at 7:50 am

Yes I’ve been wondering the same…I stared at them at CVS but they all looked so dark.

lizteabee
      August 2, 2013 at 8:04 am

I use the C5- Classic Beige instead the C8 she usually shows. I’m a C1 or C2 in the foundation depending on the time of year. Cara told me that’s probably my best bet at the moment. (I’m just killing time until her line is available. The C5 is still a little warm for contour on my skin.)

August 2, 2013 at 10:41 am

Amen to what Liz said. The options for contouring are so limiting especially for fair skin!

Kelly M
          August 9, 2013 at 7:32 am

I can’t wait for Cara’s line! Most of the current options for highlighting are also too warm for my Irish skin.

Emily
    August 2, 2013 at 6:01 am

This is so nice, you look gorgeous!
    Emgeorgias.blogspot.com

krazgrl
    August 2, 2013 at 6:11 am

Wow! What a great video, LOVE the make up, LOVE the hair! You are so beautiful! I’m always so amazed at how natural you make everything look. I LOVED the voice over. I think we really got a great description of what you were doing but still got your great personality along with it. I loved your facial expression toward the end when you were putting the concealer on and you messed up over your brow. tee hee….great job!!

Devon
      August 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I totally agree! And it was probably a lot less editing!

Allison
    August 2, 2013 at 6:16 am

As stunningly gorgeous as your light eyes are, I always LOVE the brown contacts. So beautiful!

Eryn P.
    August 2, 2013 at 6:27 am

Love this look! You are gorgeous and so great at makeup!

Kristi
    August 2, 2013 at 6:32 am

What color highlighter do you use in the maybelline? I have medium really yellow skin & can’t figure out the right color. Any suggestions?

August 2, 2013 at 10:43 am

I think for you I would actually prefer the NYX HD concealer in Yellow, I have a yellow undertone as well and I LOVE this color for highlighting http://rstyle.me/n/bexstq2bn

Kim
    August 2, 2013 at 6:35 am

I liked the voice over as well – it was easier to concentrate on the techniques you were showing. Great look!!!

Alecia
    August 2, 2013 at 6:48 am

Love it! As always! Thank You! <3

raytothechul
    August 2, 2013 at 6:52 am

oh my goodness, Cara you are soo beautiful! I have always wished I had blue eyes, but those brown contacts look amazing on you!

michelle
    August 2, 2013 at 6:58 am

the part of how you applied your liquid liner ( and lashes) too would be very helpful to show as that is major in getting the right eye shape. Maybe a tutorial on how to apply liquid liner as well as how to ” clean up” finishing touch to all shape eyes. pretty look though. love the written and video tutorial as it helps a lot !!

Katie
      August 2, 2013 at 8:20 am

I completely agree! A general eyeliner tutorial would be extremely helpful for me!

August 2, 2013 at 10:44 am

I agree! It needs a video of its own!

Courtney
      August 2, 2013 at 11:58 am

I also agree, a eye liner tutorial would be great. Also, when I do eyeliner in my tear line, I feel like it washes off after like an hour. Is the a common problem?

Sarah
        August 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I don’t know how common it is, but I have the same problem. I don’t do the tear line any more because of that although I love the look. I just don’t see the point in reapplying every half hour or so.

Drea
          August 6, 2013 at 11:47 am

Oh my god, me too.

I started using a waterproof liner then setting it with shadow, which does the trick if you can avoid the whole shadow in eye, watering more than it should have in the first place thing.

Kristen
    August 2, 2013 at 7:00 am

Digging the voice over! Keeper!

Ashlee
      August 2, 2013 at 9:26 am

I also like the voice over.

redtagcouture
    August 2, 2013 at 7:04 am

This was a helpful video and you look fantastic from start to finish. I agree about colored contacts – they are completely uncomfortable. I’ll make due with green eyes. Thanks for the tips… I’m off to play with my makeup.

XO RTC

Sara
    August 2, 2013 at 7:04 am

When do we get to see the results of your room makeover?

August 2, 2013 at 10:45 am

AHHH! It isn’t finished yet! Hopefully next week:) I’m dying to see it finished too!

Sherry
    August 2, 2013 at 7:06 am

So so excited to see a video again! Thank you!

Elena
    August 2, 2013 at 7:30 am

I have to say, this looked just as gorgeous in person (in the sunlight and the 100 degree heat) So happy you did a tutorial on it!

Judith
    August 2, 2013 at 7:40 am

I LOVE this look! You look georgeous!!! I will try it this weekend!!

Julie
    August 2, 2013 at 7:42 am

Cara, this is basically how I want to look all the time! I loved the video. Your new setup seems to be working great! I would love to know what your lighting setup is: are you directly in front of a window? Do you have any other lights pointed at you? And are there any other lights on in the room? I’ve recently started making beauty videos for my channel, and I’m not totally happy with my lighting yet. I would be so grateful for any info. Thank you for all the inspiration!!!
    Here’s my url, but no pressure to look, seriously! http://www.youtube.com/user/JuliesBeautyDish/videos

Erin
    August 2, 2013 at 7:43 am

I love it! Thank you! And I do like the voiceover!

Dana
    August 2, 2013 at 7:58 am

Love the dress! Would love to know where you got it!

the makerista
    August 2, 2013 at 8:00 am

So beautiful! Those lashes are just lovely. You look beautiful both ways, but you are such a striking brunette, Cara!

malnie
    August 2, 2013 at 8:04 am

Cara LOVE it all!! So excited when you post tutorials! This summer my sisters and I while visiting my parents with all our kiddos tried a lot of your techniques and loved them all. We also found out after reading through your whole blog that my little sister is friends (they live close by eachother) with one of your sisters. Small world! What is your highlighter you use? I can not find a highlighter that I like and would LOVE to try yours. If you don’t mind sharing what is it and where do I get it? If it is possible I will run to the store today! I think this would help me out ALOT when I am HACing. Thanks again!!

August 2, 2013 at 10:47 am

Melanie! I am so glad the techniques are working for you! How cool, which sister? The highlighter I use is my specific formulation that I’ve been working with a chemist on for a little over a year now, I am hoping to have it available to you guys by end of October! So sorry it’s not available yet!

Melanie
        August 2, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Cara my sister (Emily) is friends with Heidi. Just to make sure do you have a sister named Heidi ๐Ÿ˜‰ Is Emily even right about this? She saw Heidi on your blog and couldnt believe it. They live in the same town and used to be in the same ward. Emily likes her a lot.

melanie
    August 2, 2013 at 8:09 am

My name is Melanie…not Malnie:) My sweet liitle baby boy hit the keyboard as I hit post.

August 2, 2013 at 10:48 am

story of my life! haha

Jennifer S
    August 2, 2013 at 8:13 am

This is a great everyday makeup look. I never would have thought to set my makeup with a light bronzer, but now I’m definitely going to try it for a more glowy look, especially since I have a waterproof bronzer for summer but no waterproof powder! I think the voiceover worked really nicely and helped speed up the video since you didn’t have to think and articulate in front of the camera, and I know you’ve talked about getting that deer in the headlights thing before. When are you going to reveal your highlighter/makeup line?

August 2, 2013 at 11:09 am

Thank you! Yes I think I got less deer in the headlight moments this way:) End of October is what I am hoping for!

Ana
    August 2, 2013 at 8:14 am

It looks like you read my mind, I was going to search for a tutorial inspired in Ariadne Artiles, and here it is (I follow you via bloglovin). Your pronounciation was ok, Ariadne is a model from the Canary Islands in Spain, and she pronounces it the same way, except for the spanish soft “r”. (Iยดm spanish, too)
    I loved the video, as usual. Iยดm learning a lot. Thank you.

August 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

Isn’t she stunning! I wish I had some Spanish in me so I could do that soft “r” right, every time I try it sounds so pitiful:( Thank you!

Susan Goldstein
    August 2, 2013 at 8:18 am

….where would we be without you???!!!

August 2, 2013 at 11:13 am

haha Where would I be without you guys!?

Grace
    August 2, 2013 at 8:21 am

Whoa. Cara. Stop.

You look GORGEOUS with those brown contacts. Who would have thought?!

Love the tutorial, girl!

August 2, 2013 at 11:13 am

haha thank you! I LOVE me some brownies!

Pink Haired Princess
    August 2, 2013 at 8:22 am

Absolutely stunning and yet pretty simple to do. Gonna try and do something with my eyebrows…I just need practise and to get used to them being more defined and darker if I fill them. Can’t listen to the vid with the volume up just now but will do when I get the chance, was easy enough to follow even without sound ; )

Katie
    August 2, 2013 at 8:23 am

Cara, are you going to show us how to make your concealer? I’ve been using that Maybelline coverup, but I love it so much, that it might become a financial problem….

melanie
    August 2, 2013 at 8:23 am

Cara I noticed your skin before you started your tutorial and it looks soft and smooth as if you have something on. So with this said I have one last question…what are you wearing? Do you care to tell me brand and color? Do you have a tinted moisturizer you like? I have a hard time wearing foundation so if there is one that you use that is not too heavy and looks natural can you let me know what it is? I am finally ready to put something on my skin:) Thanks so MUCH for answering these questions! You are my go to girl for my makeup and I trust you! You haven’t let me down! Thank you!!!

Lisa
      August 2, 2013 at 8:37 am

I was wondering the same thing! Before you HAC, do you have a foundation on? Also wondering if you applied a base eyeshadow before doing the sand colored brown?

August 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

Yes I did a separate video of my prep and then forget to mention that I had prepped (of course my skin does not look like that without some foundation!) I used MUF HD primer, St. Ives Moisturizer and Armani Silk Foundation. I’ll add links in the post:)

Abby
    August 2, 2013 at 8:26 am

Love it! Absolutely beautiful as always! Ok, what is the card catalog for? I have to ask! ๐Ÿ™‚

August 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

It’s going to organize all my makeup! I was so excited when me and Mandi found it!

Amy
        August 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

where did you find the card catalog? antique or new. I have been on the hunt forever ๐Ÿ™‚

nikkivel
    August 2, 2013 at 8:30 am

Oh my gosh! This was the girl I wanted you to do! Thank you so much!! And thank you for posting the expensive face products like I asked, I feel so blessed to have a blogger who actually listens to its viewers.

natalie
    August 2, 2013 at 8:38 am

Great tips but please slooooooow down! Not all of us have been following you since day one ๐Ÿ™‚

Michelle
    August 2, 2013 at 8:44 am

What shade of the Loreal True Match Powder do you use?

Jessica T
    August 2, 2013 at 8:52 am

Good grief you are so pretty!! I will have to watch this video later, but just had to say you’re amazing as always.

Have a fantastic weekend and looking forward to this as a lunch time treat!

Sheena
    August 2, 2013 at 8:57 am

I loved the video but I actually prefer the way you used to do them (without the voice over, you talking while you do the tutorial). I would love to know what color lip gloss that is from Vicky’s. I had one for years called French Silk or French Kiss. They don’t make it anymore and it is depressing. I had bought a few little pots of it but now I am completely out. I wish they would bring it back. Anyway, loved the tutorial. And the card catalog behind you. And the dress. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ari
    August 2, 2013 at 8:57 am

Love this look!! It seems so easy!! And I like how you pretty much nailed her name on the first try! My name is pretty similar, Ariadna, and people are always butchering it, lol. Anyway, love this look and I’m loving the voice over. I’m excited to try this this weekend!!

Thanks!!

Erica
    August 2, 2013 at 9:24 am

This look is beautiful! Can’t wait to try it!

Elizabeth
    August 2, 2013 at 9:29 am

Hey Cara! Love this new trick for contouring the eyes. And this pic of Ariadne was my favorite as well. I think you did a beautiful job of recreating the look. And I was either distracted or maybe just missed what you did after the liquid liner… did you blend/smudge it out or just leave it dark? I’ll go back and watch again when I get a chance. Oh and I’m rocking my ‘don’t care hair’ today ๐Ÿ™‚ โค

Ashley Waterstradt
    August 2, 2013 at 9:30 am

great look, I just went and did it myself! lol ๐Ÿ™‚ Turned out great! I enjoy the voice over ๐Ÿ™‚

Tiffany
    August 2, 2013 at 9:39 am

Very pretty!! Also, you do great videos, anther reason why I love your blog.

Xo
    Tiffany
    Glossandmascara.com

Anja
    August 2, 2013 at 9:42 am

This comment is going to be very superficial, but I just have to say it: You are SO beautiful! My gosh, when your page popped up you took my breath away…. seriously! And just to emphasize my statement: I’m from a part of the world that is known for beautiful women (Scandinavia) Just saying…

Love your blog, and yes I’m straight (not that it matters). And for the sake of intelligence: You are a great blogger too, love your integrity, flair and just your general awsomness ๐Ÿ™‚

Love from Norway :))

Kristina
    August 2, 2013 at 9:44 am

This look really is SO pretty! I am stealing it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Stefanie
    August 2, 2013 at 9:58 am

I am curious about your makeup line you have coming out…. What all are you going to have and price range?

Laurence
    August 2, 2013 at 10:07 am

Love, love, love this look!!! It’s so beautiful! Are you wearing any foundation at all? Thanks again, I’ve learned so much from you ๐Ÿ™‚

Lexee
    August 2, 2013 at 10:11 am

Are you still using the Wen products for your hair?

Tina
    August 2, 2013 at 10:41 am

LOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEE!!!!!! i am gag over the hair too!!!

Tina
      August 2, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oh my goodness I meant GAGA not gag!!!!!

liz @ btb
        August 2, 2013 at 10:52 am

LOL this reminded me of a scene from that show “Pregnant in Heels” when LT says “this dress will make the children gag!” Seems like some people are turning “gasp/go crazy over” into “gag” these days, so your original comment kinda makes sense. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jordan
    August 2, 2013 at 10:43 am

Love the make up and hair! Great look ๐Ÿ™‚

Allison
    August 2, 2013 at 10:45 am

In the video you mentioned using one eyeshadow but it looks like you are using at least 2. The difference between the brown and the eyeliner is a light glimmer color. Can you clarify?

liz @ btb
    August 2, 2013 at 10:46 am

Love love love! So pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

Sharon!
    August 2, 2013 at 10:53 am

Loved it, Cara! And DEFINITELY KEEP the voice-over!! That made is soo much easier to follow along and actually imagine us doing our own makeup like you were, instead of stopping and talking during it. ๐Ÿ™‚ It made it faster too.

Kylie
    August 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

love it! I also loved your “card index” thingy you had in the background! where did you get that! it’s awesome and so are you! i’m so glad you’re back doing tutorials!

Hiders_Hiders
    August 2, 2013 at 11:19 am

Gorgeous make up! When this picture first popped up on my Instagram, I actually thought you were one of my friends. You look just like her with your brown contacts and this make up! Both beautiful women.

The voice over was nice for the fact that it was able to speed up the video, but I think I actually like the old videos better. But they’re both fine and whichever one makes life easier for you is fine by me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tristan B.
    August 2, 2013 at 11:27 am

Oh, this is so very beautiful!

Camille
    August 2, 2013 at 11:47 am

I was wondering if its worth it to buy the Stila In the Light pallet. My hubby just got me the Lorac Pro Pallet so it’s a good idea for me to get the Stile one too? I love both of them but they seem similar and I’d like some more opinions on it. Thanks girls and Cara! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kaitlyn T
    August 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm

when will we know the concealer/highlighter mix that you made?

jewelrychikaustin
    August 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Love the video, thanks for doing it!!

Kris
    August 2, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I love your braid! How did you make it look so classy??! Every time I try to do it, I look terrible and you can absolutely tell I only took 5 mins. to get ready (which is true…but other people don’t need to know that!) ๐Ÿ™‚

Bianca Cordova
    August 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I love you with brown eyes you look beautiful. I love this look. I love all your looks the natural the better.

Laura Lee
    August 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Super! You look better than the model!
    What was the lipliner called?

Carey
      August 3, 2013 at 5:11 am

It’s actually a Cover Girl eyeliner – the color is Mink ๐Ÿ™‚

lburrell2013
    August 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Beautiful makeup, and I definitely love the voiceover.

mismacbeauty
    August 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm

This look is beautiful!

Becca
    August 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Love this look! You look like you’re glowing and glistening with summer and sunshine. Can’t wait to try it! Please, please, PLEASE, PLEASE do a an eyeliner/lashes tutorial! So anxious to see your new makeup room, and even moreso for your concealer/highlighter mix! Are you sure we can’t pre-order???

One last thought… I do like the voice-over for the fact that it speeds up the video, but in all honesty I prefer the old way. I like to see the detail of your method. Seems to help me more. And I like that your personality shines through more in the old videos.

Great tutorial as usual. You’re gorg. Thanks!

Erin
    August 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Love this look! It’s pretty similar to my day to day makeup but I love the idea of setting with bronzer! That’s a great tip ๐Ÿ™‚

Lauren
    August 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thank you for taking the time to personally respond to our questions. I have never found a blog like this with such practical application and tips that actually translate. You are the best. Do you have any suggestions for setting the look so that it can last for hours? Ideally for up to 8 hours? I use bare-minerals primer, clinique dramatically different moisturizer, and bare minerals makeup including a setting powder. Still doesn’t last that long. However these products do seem to last a little better than drugstore products. Would love your thoughts on this, thank you thank you!!

melissadianeblog
    August 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Love this!!! Beautiful!! I naturally have black/brown hair like yours is dyed and brown eyes so I love seeing makeup that makes brown eyes pop and this totally does!! Love it!!! (And love your brunette hair again!)

Angie
    August 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Love this look. I liked the VoiceOver but it felt a bit rushed. For someone who is just learning techniques it really helps me to watch each step! Love the tutorials, please keep them coming. Thanks for the great tips.

Heather
    August 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Did you just use bobby pins to secure the bottom of your braid? That’s such a cool idea! Does it stay in all day?

Elisabeth M
    August 2, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I have been debating getting the Benefit Theyโ€™re Real Mascara. I would LOVE the opinion of others who have used it before I buy it. Is it really that great?

Drea
      August 6, 2013 at 11:43 am

Mascara was nothing before Benefit They’re Real. Went from a falsies almost every day kind of girl to just a quick sweep or two of this stuff.

Kelly
    August 2, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Gorgeous!!!! I think one of the best things about your blog is you and your warm, relatable personality. I think a bit of that is lost in the voiceover although I get that it makes for a better tutorial.

Arnaz K
    August 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Cara this is really awesome! You look fantastic. I think you should start doing workshops…(first one should be for H.A.C!!!) I would definitely come. It would be great if you could show us what to do with the make-up we have too! You are super talented. xoxox

gingererin
    August 2, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I love this highlighting and contouring job with your face shape. It just brings out your cheek bones and makes your face look like a completely different shape. Beautiful! This is one of my favorites!

Mallory Loch
    August 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Loving the recent videos! I think its really helpful to watch how you do things…light amounts with lots of strokes until you reach the desired effect. I forget about that sometimes and start with too much product. Can NEVER get enough of the HAC’ing…you’re right it’s amazing to watch it transform shapes of faces and noses! Are you still mostly using the Balm bronzer for your HAC’ing? Also…would love a video about a couple of different eyeshadow combos again just to watch how and where you apply and layer colors.

Amanda @ cookiesandcorgis.com
    August 2, 2013 at 8:49 pm

This has to be my favorite look you have done! Just so soft & pretty! I am also so glad that you used the Stila palette as I bought it on your recommendation several months ago and use it every day (best eye shadow purchase I have made). As always I thoroughly enjoy your blog and the great content and am really looking forward to seeing your finished office makeover.

Lauren
    August 2, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Hi Cara! Beautiful as always! The cover girl liner you use for your lips – I can’t find it in Canada. Can you post a photo or a link or maybe something similar?

Lauren
      August 2, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Just noticed you’ve already linked it! Lol

Casy Dee
    August 3, 2013 at 7:52 am

I’d love to see a vid of different eyebrow looks. This one was so different and so pretty. I’m also a fan of the voice over approach. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mireya
    August 3, 2013 at 9:03 am

HI Cara! What color shadow did you use on your eyelids and under your brow? I saw you contoured with sandstone but wasn’t sure if you had used anything else.

Heather
    August 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

I just tried this look today, and I LOVE IT!!! I also love when you use colours I already have ๐Ÿ™‚
    Quick question- I live in Canada and am unable to find the Cover girl Mink in stores. I know you can order it off Amazon, but the American Amazon doesn’t ship that product to Canada and the Canadian Amazon sells it for $20+ (for one!) So I’m wondering if you have any suggestions for an alternative that’s close in colour that I can find in the stores. I found a ‘blonde eyebrow pencil’ that I thought was close, but it’s a little grey and doesn’t show up much on me.
    Thanks!

Rachel S
    August 3, 2013 at 11:38 am

Love this look! Just wanted to chime in and say I prefer the videos without the voiceover. I find it easier to follow along when the pace is a little slower and I like the personality that comes through when you are speaking as you go, rather than after the fact.

MKF
    August 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thank you Cara! I love this look. I’m doing it for my performance tonight because it was so inspiring. I just wanted to let you know that I did not care for the voice over as much because it felt less personal and more like any other youtube video. Once again I love your blog and thank you for all the inspiration!

madeline
    August 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Hi Cara! You often mention Maybelline Highlight Concealer. I went to purchase a tube, but I couldn’t decide on a color! Do you have any info on the different colors (for use as a highlighter/under the eye)? DO you go with a more yellow, more pink, lighter than natural skin tone? What do you think! Thanks so much!

Jess
    August 3, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Love the tutorial, thanks so much! I can’t wait to try this!!! I wasn’t a fan of the voice over because I felt like some info was still missing like how you clean up your eyes.

Juliet Laney
    August 3, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hey Cara…love your blog and all your tips and tricks…and you are beautiful!! This is a beautiful look but I feel like the video isn’t complete or something. After the lashes it’s like you have on a lot more eye make up then what you showed us. And also you said “we’ll go back and clean that up” about the under eye shadow and then never do so I feel like a lot was missing??

Kelly
    August 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm

WOW, absolutely stunning!

xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Jeanie
    August 4, 2013 at 7:20 am

Love the look. All the makeup listed that was used (including brushes) was $169.

Andrea
    August 4, 2013 at 7:25 am

Thanks so much, Cara! I’ve done my make up pretty similar to this for a while now, but as always, I learned a lot of great tips from your tutorial! Gorgeous! Keep ’em coming!

Lillie
    August 4, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Hey Cara! I was wondering if you already have, or could do a post on finding the perfect foundation for us very fair-skinned girlies! Most drugstore foundations are far too dark or have yellow undertones ๐Ÿ™ hope to see a post like this soon! โ˜บ

Lillie
      August 4, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Oh and might I add a dewy foundation! Matte foundation makes pale skin look ghostly, in my opinion. Thanks Cara

Drea
        August 6, 2013 at 11:42 am

Hey, Lillie. You should go to Sephora bc we have this color match system called Color IQ. We partnered with Pantone (the color authorities who give color codes to everything from paint, to coca cola red, hair color, and makeup) to make this system to perfectly match your skin. It will pull up everything Sephora carries in stores around the whole US and you can even email it to yourself so you just know what your options are. There’s a lot of power to knowing.

If you did the glowy look, Stila is pretty cost effective for a higher end brand and they have a dewy foundation with the proper shade of concealer for contouring (which is also a pain for us fairer ladies). Otherwise CC creams are lighter in feel too but do the covering of blemishes/dark spots/scarsfrombarfights. (Clinique = A++)

I know that was long, but I just sympathize with having the wrong color match. Been there, done that tooo many times.

KG
    August 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Cara, THANK YOU for this tutorial! I love it so much! What really makes me happy is that you used brown contacts to really recreate her look, it really helped me visualize what it would possible look like on me, being that I have brown eyes. I love all of your eye makeup tutorials and love the way they look on your eyes because they are such a pretty blue. It made me smile because I always admire those with light colored eyes and here you were putting on contacts to make your eyes brown. Anywho, thank you again! xo

Kellie
    August 4, 2013 at 7:36 pm

So for your eye shadow…you only have 1 color in 2 spots? Is that really it? Did you put any eye primer on first or anything? Cause the end look seems like you have many colors blended. I’m thinking “can it really be this easy”?!

August 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm

haha I did have foundation on first which was also on my eyelid, then as you can see I used a little bit of the highlighting concealer under the arch of my brow but that’s really it! so easy!

Misty Beltran
    August 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Did you have any shadow or anything on the lid of your eye?

Sometimes I feel like you speed through the eye makeup and that’s where I need the most help and would like it a little slower.

August 4, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Hi Misty! I started with foundation on my whole face including my eye lids so it was a sort of shadow base. I am sorry, I agree that this video was too rushed, I will for sure make it easier to follow next time!

Misty Beltran
        August 4, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Thanks for the response!

Jackie
    August 5, 2013 at 4:02 am

So where did you get those contacts? They look so real. Remember when colored contacts looked super fake? Almost like “Halloween” fake lol. These are so cool! I think you’re gorgeous no matter the eye color, but it’s always fun to experiment.

Karen Etling
    August 5, 2013 at 8:29 am

I missed the intimacy I usually feel in your videos with this voice-over style. I felt like I was watching a tutorial instead of having a friend show me how to do my make-up. ๐Ÿ™

LauraBeth
    August 6, 2013 at 8:52 am

Fantastic natural look but everything looks good on you ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I didn’t care for the voice-over style as much either for the same reasons others have listed. It does make it quicker but maybe a little too quick. I feel like you’re actually talking to me the other way and say what you’re thinking as you are actually doing it like I will be when I’m trying it.
    Thanks! keep them coming ๐Ÿ™‚

Drea
    August 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

Long time reader, first time commenter so I’ll try to make this quick.

I’m beginning to freelance myself and work at a cosmetics store right now. I tell EVERYONE and their mother about your blog bc you make it so easy to learn. I’m always picking up new tricks from what you do. My clients most often compliment me on my complexion and I tell them that I learned to HAC from Ms. Makeup Extraordinaire, Maskcara.

Now that I got all that fan stuff out of the way, I have to tell you that I absolutely love your brows like that! Totally opened your eyes up.

I’m gonna go HAC now. Buh-bye.

Sarah
    August 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Cara, LOVE LOVE this tutorial! I have brown eyes and love to use neutral/brown shades, and I’m so excited to try this out now ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a question about the powder you used to contour – I see you linked the True Match in “deep cool”…is that the actual shade you used in the video? it seems so dark on Amazon, but I trust you!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I’m stil on a search for something to contour with (haven’t had great luck with bronzers yet) and if this is something I should look into, I will be sure to pick it up next time I hit the store!

Also, I see you mention “your highlighter”…I have the one you linked, but I don’t think I apply it correctly. It’s not looking that great/natural when I use it, even with blending. Do you have any tips on how to apply it (I’m definitely purchasing that dual ended brush you mentioned!) or maybe a suggestion of another highlighting product I can try?
    If you need to see what I look like, my IG is http://instagram.com/Miyabi_Na

Thanks in advance for your answers ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m just love your site! โ™ฅ

marjorie
    August 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Cara, I love this look. As always you’re amazing. I was just wondering if you’re still planning on doing the hair tutorial. It looks great on you, and it seems like every time I’ve tried the side braid thing it looks thin or misshapped. Help!

chameleonstampede
    August 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Fabulous video! Thank you so much for doing this!!!

2summers2
    August 6, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Hi Cara,

I’ve tried your suggested L’Oreal True Match for contouring the sides of my nose ( I have a wide nose) and it just never blends. I use moisturizer all over my face and no powder – I’m sure that’s part of the problem. I have mature skin and powder doesn’t look good. Is there a contouring product I can use on my nose which is creamy and might blend better into my moisturizer and foundation ? I REALLY want to try the contouring and feel very frustrated. thank you for your help!

Amanda
    August 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm

You are BEAUTIFUL! don’t know if you’ve gotten this before, but you look so much like Jenna Dewan Tatum!! hottie! xoxo

Fran
    August 8, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Hi! I recently found your blog and love it! Would you be able to do a tutorial for asian women?

Amelia Jacobs
    August 8, 2013 at 8:41 pm

This is amazing! And so are the rest of your videos! I didn’t realize I have responses pretty much all of them on Pinterest! I just noticed you were the same women in all of them! Haha! I wanted to ask you if before you started applying this look in the video, did you already have foundation or anything on? Thanks!

Erin
    August 8, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Cara I love your blog, I have just started following you a few weeks now and love checking my email to see a new post. I love this new tutorial. Though I’ve looked everywhere to find covergirl liner in mink. Do you know if it’s only sold in the US? If so do you know another one that is pretty close? I went to the store today to try a bunch of different brands and colours but just wasn’t sure.
    I love this look on you!

Amber
    August 12, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I am in love with this makeup style and have tried it with some other colors in the Stilla pallet!

Kasia Kubicka
    August 19, 2013 at 7:44 am

WoW – you look great with brown eyes ๐Ÿ™‚

Chelsea M.
    August 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thank you so much for this!!! I tried the look this morning for work with colors and products I have that were similar to the ones you used. I’m blonde-haired with blue eyes so I was a bit worried how it would look. My boyfriend (who rarely notices makeup changes) couldn’t stop commenting on how good it looked. Needless to say I’ll be using this more and more ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thank you so much for your blog – I always look forward to new posts! I love that you make these high-end looks doable for your average, everyday woman. Thank you again for inspiring confidence and beauty, not only on the outside but the inside as well!
    XOXO

Update on everything: Hospital stay, hives, ulcers, nodules, chorded veins, OH MY! « Viva la Cure Viva la Cure
    September 4, 2013 at 6:16 pm

[…] Click the link/photo below to watch: (btw..I have just watched a killer tutorial on the make-up technique I’m wearing…click here to watch) […]

Erin Marie
    September 12, 2013 at 1:15 pm

This is belated but I have been in love with this look since you’ve posted it. I have hooded eyes and this method works SO WELL for them. You can really darken it and make it dramatic too. Thanks so much.

Shawna
    September 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm

This has become one of my favorite looks to do. Turns out beautiful every time. My question is this….do you have that dress over jeans or leggings or something? Cuz I’m thinking you don’t wear dresses this short for real ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jennifer S
    September 22, 2013 at 11:23 am

Hey, did you ever do a hair tutorial for this? I’ve been on the lookout for it but wasn’t sure if maybe I missed it!

-Jen
    yourstrulyjen.com

Kim
    September 25, 2013 at 7:51 am

I like the voice over!

Love the eyebrow trick. I always just do the exact same thing with my makeup every time. I’m scared to try new things but plan to buy some more products which I think will get me to explore a little more.

Soft Neutral Makeup Tutorial Maskcara | Let You Know Everything
    September 29, 2013 at 6:07 am

[…] View post: Soft Neutral Makeup Tutorial | Maskcara […]

Jenn
    September 29, 2013 at 12:00 pm

By any chance, is there a simllar eyeshadow color that’s cheaper than the stila palette?

Karen
    September 30, 2013 at 5:01 am

Hi Cara,I think You are so talented,if you ever come to Vancouver Canada,I would love to have a makeover by you.Then I can Show you around my beautiful city.oxox

Lori Mueller
    September 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm

You look fantastic with brown eyes! Congrats on the Allure Beauty Blogger Award!

Sharon
    October 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Hi Cara, Can you tell me what kind of brush you used to apply your blush & the brand. Also what liquid liner did you use on your lids? Thank you.

Courtney
    October 21, 2013 at 9:53 am

Question…Should highlighting concealer always be put on last like you did in this post? Or could you put it on after the contouring and then put bronzer on to fully blend?

danni sjoden
    November 8, 2013 at 11:47 am

I just read in Allure that you are coming out with a highlight/countour kit, when will it be available?!

Krystal
    November 13, 2013 at 5:07 am

Oh my gosh, Cara! I just recently discovered your blog and I’m in love! I tried this look out tonight and I received so many compliments! I haven’t quite perfected it yet but your tutorials are so easy to follow! Thank you!
    From a fan down under!
    Krystal

Grace
    November 25, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I absolutely love this look! I actually have been following your blog for a while, and I love almost all your tutorials (especially the HAC) However, Is there any way you can perhaps do this look on Asian eyes? or give any tips on how to? I’ve been trying to achieve this look because it looks so natural, but just slightly enhanced. But, being Asian without deep set eyes and no prominent nose, it’s a bit hard to achieve–I always end up with a bruised eye look. :/
    Hope to hear from you! Thanks.
    -Grace

Nat
    December 3, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Love, love, love the look. I just discovered your blog and now I’m obsessed. I have one question though…..I feel like if I set me foundation with bronzer instead of powder I will turn my face brown. Do you have a bronzer and brush that you recommend for this? Thanks! =)

ashley cole
    December 12, 2013 at 6:55 pm

HELP! You are absolutely amazing with makeup! I’m in love with all of your videos. Im getting married in Costa Rica this June and because it’s a destination wedding I wont be having a makeup artist, so i’ll be stuck doing my own makeup. Are there any products you recommend that I get for a beach wedding and tricks you give me so I have perfect makeup? Thank you sooo much! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lauren
    December 20, 2013 at 6:40 am

I know this post is from a few months ago but I have to tell you – I used your Cover Girl mink suggestion on the lips and OMG I love. I’m an everyday nude lip girl but this is my new go to. LOVE LOVE it, such a great tip!! (I’m a new bloglovin follower:). Merry Christmas!

Tammy
    December 25, 2013 at 9:02 am

I love your posts! I have a question though, when do you use bronzer and when do you use blush? I’m more into the natural look and I’ve always been debating between using a bronzer or blush. I have olive colored skin and many people tell me to use bronzer, but I just don’t know! Do you have any hints for me? Thanks! Merry Christmas!

Chelsea Lee
    January 5, 2014 at 6:51 pm

…Are those bobby pins holding the end of your braid? How does that work? I usually use those little black elastics because I hate the look of hair ties, but this looks even better. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cynthia Justine
    January 8, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I love this post! But can you suggest some cheaper products? Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Sonya
    January 9, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Is there a button to click that puts EVERYTHING you used here in my basket to purchase?? That would be SO nice and easy!

Sagynysh
    January 19, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Hi, I just started following your tutorials, and I think they are awesome. Which L’oreal True match powder would you recommend, I have dark almost black hair, hazel eyes, and light skin. Bronzers usually look muddy on me.

Thank you.

Tracey Baker
    February 12, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Just wondering, did you ever do the hair tutorial on this one? I love it, so pretty!

Liya
    March 4, 2014 at 6:09 am

Hi Cara,

I just started watching your makeup tutorials and think they are amazing. I have also picked up some of your techniques suggested in Allure magazine. I have a question regarding the Ariadne look though-in the video you said you used Corrupt eyeliner but your blog says Demolition. Which one is it? Also I have Mac Concrete- is that too dark/too light for the brows or should I get Brun? I am NC 35 for reference.Thanks in advance for your response.

Liya

Boni
    March 10, 2014 at 2:16 am

What a beauty! I love this makeup look. You have the prettiest eye color. I wish someone would replicate your exact shade of blue to make into contact lenses. I very seriously wonder how possible that would be? I would buy them in a heartbeat! Even in this day and age contact lens color selections are still never like the color in their advertisements. I hate false advertising! Your shade of blue is no ordinary blue. Stunningly beautiful and unique in its shade. As you can see, I take my beauty very seriously! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m always looking for the best and the prettiest and most unique everything whenever/wherever possible. I am a treasure hunter! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for posting this! How I wish I had my own makeup artist to help me every day. I guess I sort of do though don’t I? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank heaven for your tutorials! Amen! ๐Ÿ™‚

19+ Ways To Get Your Most Gorgeous Eyes Ever! | How Does She
    March 27, 2014 at 8:05 am

[…] Soft neutral eye tutorial by makeup artist Cara […]

kat
    March 27, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I LOVE this look… on you. When I tired it I ended up looking somewhat raccoon-ish. What did I do wrong??

nouveau maillot Croatie
    August 28, 2014 at 9:48 am

Ahaa, its nice dialogue about this post here at this weblog, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place.|

Jasmin
    September 8, 2014 at 11:12 am

Wow! Feeling awesome to watch this video. I always use simple natural looking makeup as I feel in disguise putting gorgeous one. Recently I bought a liquid eyeliner that made me really satisfied as I can put the line without any skipping or running out with its thin marker-like tip. So now I’m a step ahead putting the natural makeup ๐Ÿ™‚
    I purchased it from: http://trend-labs.com/i/B0031NNE56

Angie
    October 14, 2014 at 3:44 am

This look is gorgeous! I’m always so jealous of your beautiful, pouty lips!

Lena
    October 16, 2014 at 10:04 am

The shade numbers are missing,why dont you put this important info in your blog?!

Melody
    November 19, 2014 at 8:37 am

I WANT that Victoria’s Secret lip gloss, but it no longer exists on their website. Do you have an affordable alternative to that same color?

This look is GORGEOUS and I’ve loved finding all these gems on your website. I’ve also purchased several of your suggestions. THANK YOU for all your fabulous wisdom! ๐Ÿ™‚

Makeup Tutorial Gone Wrong | free pdf download
    November 28, 2014 at 1:41 pm

[…] Wow! What a great video, LOVE the make up, LOVE the hair! You are so beautiful! Iโ€™m always so amazed at how natural you make everything look. more… […]

Sally
    January 28, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Absolutely gorgeous.

Drugstore Heroes Lips: Part Two! Kelsey’s Favorites | Kat & Kelsey Take Over The World
    March 30, 2015 at 8:01 am

[…] I saw this trick first on Masckara (she’s the coolest). She sung the praises of using this eyeliner as a way to contour out the lips to make them look big and pouty and everything good in the world. Well, as always, she was right, and it’s a super cool trick. She kind of goes over how she uses it in this tutorial. […]

Beauty Tutorials We Would Be Ugly Without - The Southern Style Guide
    May 19, 2015 at 7:18 am

[…] love Maskcara for her step-by-step tutorials and insights into all the drugstore beauty products. Here is a great […]

nitrocellulose chips
    August 16, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Nitrocellulose from Hebei Jinwei Chemical Co., Limited With the combination of durability, compatibility and unsurpassed drying speed.

source
    August 17, 2015 at 3:22 am

You might certainly go to your skills within the do the job you are submitting. The sector hopes for a lot more passionate copy writers just like you that are not worried to bring up that believe. All of the time observe ones cardiovascular system Boston Wedding videography.

Calia
    September 15, 2015 at 8:40 am

I love this look, but your natural eyes are beautiful!

Allison Green Makeup Tutorial | Shop CoverGirl!
    May 1, 2016 at 1:19 am

[…] Soft Neutral Makeup Tutorial โ€“ Maskcara โ€“ Reply krazgrl August 2, 2013 at 6:11 am. Wow! What a great video, LOVE the make up, LOVE the hair! You are so beautiful! Iโ€™m always so amazed at how natural you … […]

Beauty Tutorials We Would Be Ugly Without | The Southern Style Guide