Hair Hair Tutorials Popular Tutorials

“I don’t care” Hair.

After a particularly lonely and friendless 7th grade year in which the friends from my neighborhood informed me that we could only associate outside school limits, I made a decision.
I was going to become cool.
I figured it was an attainable goal.
I’d get my older sister to help me with my hair and makeup, get some fancy new (name brand, of course) clothes and chum up with the popular kids.
Easy right?

Of course, my folks have 8 kids and weren’t in the business of shelling out the big bucks for school clothes, even for high aspirations like mine. Which meant in I’d have to work for my dad ALL SUMMER in the blazing heat as a stone mason to get properly outfitted for popularity. (by stone mason I mean, I handed him things and told him when lunch was….and by ALL SUMMER I mean for a couple of weeks. Still, a couple of weeks in 115 degrees FEELS and awful lot like ALL SUMMER)

proof.

So I’m walking into my first day of 8th grade in my very cutest outfit. (Calvin Kline jeans from Costco, a collard blue shirt and a brand new pair of Doc Martins) my hair perfectly styled (a bob with bangs) and I even got Rachel to do my makeup so, I’m feeling pretty good about now…until I realize that all the popular girls were effortlessly dressed in  tank tops and basketball shorts and were, like, really embarrassed for those of us that cared so much about the first day of school.
I was in way over my head.

Not caring is the like, coolest thing you can possibly do from about 7th grade to marriage.
It can be faked, but some of us just don’t have the will power. (me)
But if I were to go back, I’d  employed this tutorial, a t-shirt and boyfriend jeans (so fashion forward) and I’d be like “what!? I didn’t even do my hair, it just dries like this.”
And they’d believe me and that’s what I love about this hair do.

Undone messy waves tutorial

I used a 1″ curling iron but it could be larger that that, try it first with whatever you have before getting a new one:)

signature

PS My shirt is From Nasty Gal HERE

110 Comments

lizteabee
    July 30, 2013 at 4:51 am

I love your hair tutorials. They actually make sense to me!
    How long does it take you to do your whole head?

Cara
      July 30, 2013 at 9:03 am

Thanks Liz! I have a ton of hair (with my extensions) but even still this style takes about 8 minutes max.

Diane
    July 30, 2013 at 4:51 am

Great video! Where can I get that shirt?

Tammy
    July 30, 2013 at 4:53 am

You look gorgeous, my friend! And this looks super easy, even for me to do!

Cara
      July 30, 2013 at 9:10 am

Thanks so much beautiful! Yes, it’s the easiest and not hard on your hair cause it barely gets the heat:)

Suz
    July 30, 2013 at 4:58 am

Yep, gonna need that shirt! Cara you seriously have the best hair!!

Chelsea
    July 30, 2013 at 5:19 am

Beautiful Hair, where is that shirt from!!

Cara
      July 30, 2013 at 9:13 am

Thank you! It’s from Nasty Gal (I saw it on someone and searched far and wide to find it!) http://rstyle.me/~FwfH

Sena
    July 30, 2013 at 5:21 am

Oh YAY we got a video!!! I love that you went back to dark hair and it looks so gorgeous and heathy. Whatever you’re doing to counter the color damage, it’s working!

I never curl my hair bc my hair doesn’t like to hold a curl at all and I am horrified of hot tools but this one looks very gentle since you barely hold the iron on each strand. I might have to try it! Or you can if we are still on for a makeup consult this weekend. Please let me know!

Cara
      July 30, 2013 at 9:14 am

Thank you! It’s getting healthier! And obvisouly, the extensions help:) Yes we are! My husband is scheduling those for me I’ll make sure he gets back to you:) Thnks Sena!

Erika
    July 30, 2013 at 5:28 am

Love this hair look, it’s very Kate Beckinsale! Thanks for posting. I still can’t believe I’ve been curling my hair backwards for so many years LOL!

Cara
      July 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

Haha there’s no wrong way to curl it! Just different ways… And thank you, I LOVE Kate Beckinsale’s style!

Erica
    July 30, 2013 at 5:28 am

I love this post for so many reasons. 1) Because this is proof that seventh grade is awful for everyone 2) bexause I had a similar experience on picture day (I wore a dress, how mortifying?) And 3) because my hair actually does dry like that lol

Cara
      July 30, 2013 at 9:16 am

A dress!? How could you!? hahaha You are so lucky.

Victoria
    July 30, 2013 at 5:32 am

I love your tutorials! Thanks so much! I saw in the FAQs what type of camera you use for shoots. Is it the same for tuts? Or do you just use a webcam?
    I, for the first time this weekend, tried a beach spray w texture and let it dry in those spiral pin thingys you recommended (technical terms! lol). I LOVED it! My hair is super straight, but it looked like I had naturally wavy hair. Thanks to you and your advice!!!

Carrie
    July 30, 2013 at 5:35 am

Hey Cara, great tutorial!! Your hair looks lovely 🙂 I have much shorter hair that falls slightly above my shoulders. Do you think this curling method would well work for that length? I usually section it off, make tighter curls with the iron, then shake it out to get each piece curled since it’s so short. But, I would love a quicker, more effortless way to do it! Also, what lipstick/gloss are you wearing in the video? I love the color!

Cara
      July 30, 2013 at 9:20 am

My sister has that same length and I have done this look on her and it looks awesome so I think you should try it. It’s much easier than tight curling everything for busy days! Thank you! It’s Lip Tar in Hush http://rstyle.me/~Fwr2

Carrie
        July 30, 2013 at 10:03 am

Fantastic. Can’t wait to try the hair do and the lip tar! Thanks!!

Maddy Cane
    July 30, 2013 at 5:56 am

Beautiful hair, it looks so amazing and very natural on you! x

Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD

Cara
      July 30, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thanks Maddy!

Liza Lu
    July 30, 2013 at 6:21 am

So beautiful

Anna
    July 30, 2013 at 6:23 am

A video, a video, yay!!!

Madelaine Sessions
    July 30, 2013 at 6:28 am

Where is your shirt from?

April M
    July 30, 2013 at 6:31 am

Love the shirt! Love the tutorial as well. I always curl all my hair away from my head. I’m going to try this method tomorrow.

Mia @ MakeMeUpMia
    July 30, 2013 at 6:39 am

Love the video, thanks for sharing! Also, I am in LOVE with that shirt, where is it from?

Karyn
    July 30, 2013 at 6:40 am

Love it!!! Like, I’m totally gonna try that. Haha. Seriously though, that’s such a beautiful style. Easy breezy! You have gorgeous hair! I always just throw my hair up in a messy bun (two kids = no hair styling), but my husband loves my hair down, and honestly, so do I, so this will be my next style attempt! Can’t wait to try. Thank you for all your inspiration, yet again!

Lexi
    July 30, 2013 at 6:43 am

I have to know, did you ever get popular?…..Or is that another post?

Crissy Kindley
    July 30, 2013 at 6:47 am

Oh girl, where did you get that shirt? Love it!!

Erika B
    July 30, 2013 at 7:02 am

I LOVE that you can say to those girls in 7th grade “Ba-Bam…Look at me now!” You are truly a star in my eyes!
    You’re tutorials are the best around!

lola
    July 30, 2013 at 7:09 am

I knew there was a reason I loved you so much. I am a 7, one of eight, wanted to be popular in school too, and my new clothes were when I finally grew into my sisters’ hand-me-downs. Thanks so much for this new video. I always learn something new from you (even though I am almost old enough to be your mama!). I can’t wait to try this new doo. Maybe this old dog can learn some new tricks after all! P.S. I love your lipstick in this video~which one are you wearing?

Paint Those Piggies
    July 30, 2013 at 7:12 am

I’m pretty sure I need your hair 😉 It’s gorgeous!

tiffani
    July 30, 2013 at 7:38 am

you are so gorgeous i could die. but i won’t. don’t worry. i remember when we shared the same ward, and i was little, like 10 – and you were in young women, and i always always just thought you were gorgeous. pretty much had a crush on your entire family. noah, holy crap. really though, you’re all so beautiful, and so delightful and lit from the inside out. i appreciate that you’re embracing your beauty and showing the world that everyone is beautiful. and teaching us all how to be the best beautiful we can be. you’re really an inspiration! love.

Sara
    July 30, 2013 at 7:39 am

Can you share a link for the shirt or details please? Thank you

Lisa
    July 30, 2013 at 7:42 am

This is my favorite way to do my hair! I love the relaxed, super casual curls. Definitely my favorite to style!

Melissa
    July 30, 2013 at 7:44 am

Bahaha Doc Martens and polos!! Those were the days 🙂 love your hair (now) 🙂 You have inspired me to stop parting my hair on the side, I love parting it in the semi-middle now!

Rachel S
    July 30, 2013 at 7:44 am

Wish there was a way you could show your “8th grade self” pictures of what you look like now! Knowing that you would end up being gorgeous and having your stunning pictures plastered all over Pinterest might have eased the sting of that first day of 8th grade. Seems like you left those popular girls in the dust! Just sayin!! 🙂

Rebecca
    July 30, 2013 at 7:49 am

I have super short hair, so this isn’t something I can do, but I was drawn in by your story. 7th grade was rough for me too, lots of wardrobe issues for me too! So much so that I wrote down what I wore every day and kept the notes for several weeks so I wouldn’t repeat anything. This continued thru high school. Once I got a job, most of my earnings went towards clothes! Luckily, I eventually realized other things were more important. I wish I could tell all 7th grade girls that some things won’t matter in the long run and to just concentrate on loving yourself. Anyway, thanks for the post!

Jennifer S
    July 30, 2013 at 7:51 am

Isn’t it so true that the people you’re most jealous of in life just live effortlessly? I’m usually the most dressed up, most made up person in the room and you know what? That’s just how I feel most confident. I’ve accepted it. I can let myself relax knowing that most other people don’t hold themselves up to the standards that I hold myself up to but I also have to do what makes me feel good. Kudos for sharing stories from middle school. I still get embarrassed thinking about those years! yourstrulyjen.com

Melissa
    July 30, 2013 at 7:55 am

I loved your hair even before you started the curl…so healthy. Beautiful after, love that its less time on heat, I must try! Great shirt too!

Brittany Barker
    July 30, 2013 at 8:03 am

Almost all curling attempts have been major fails on my part. Either I don’t keep the tool on too long and then it falls out straight, or I overcompensate and then I have ridiculous ringlets. However… I’m going to try this one today! Wish me luck!

Devri
    July 30, 2013 at 8:14 am

I tried this look this morning and love it so far! I also added your DIY candy-coated spray to it (since I was out of hairspray) and it really helps out my fine, limp hair. Thanks for all you teach us! Love your blog 🙂

Shayli
    July 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

Here’s a link to a shirt that’s really similar, if not the same shirt she’s wearing in this video!

Kay
    July 30, 2013 at 8:38 am

You are just so flippin’COOL!!! See how that all works out? Now all of those little witches wish they were YOU!

Rachael
    July 30, 2013 at 8:46 am

That was my exact middle school experience!

Susan Goldstein
    July 30, 2013 at 8:53 am

Even pretty girls have problems??? Wow, that is so depressing.
    I remember I got on the school bus in 8th grade, having just moved from another state, and was dressed totally cool for THAT school. Unfortunately, my outfit screamed “NERD ALERT” to my new school mates. Ick. Still haunts me!! LOL

Jane
    July 30, 2013 at 9:12 am

I love that you used the word “skeewompus.” Haha, I think maybe only us Utah girls are gonna get that one 🙂 Also, excellent tutorial as per usual!

Rebecca
    July 30, 2013 at 9:14 am

That’s a 1″ curling iron? Looks bigger… Do you do anything to your hair at night? I.e. put it in bun or anything? And do you then brush it in the am?

2summers2
    July 30, 2013 at 9:38 am

what happened to your epiphany that shorter hair was better (Allure photo shoot)? 🙂

laurajsdecorte
    July 30, 2013 at 9:40 am

what makeup are you wearing?? looks beautiful!

Abigail
      July 31, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I would love to know what makeup you have, too. Soo pretty!

jaytothehay
    July 30, 2013 at 9:48 am

You are making me miss my brown hair!! Maybe I will go back too…

Konnie
    July 30, 2013 at 9:49 am

Lol! Love all the comments. I did Sun In for jr. High and my hair turned orangey…then a crush asked me why my hair was orange! Ahhh!
    My question is how long did it take to grow your hair to its current length? I feel like mine is stuck and won’t grow further but I need like 3more inches.

Tori
    July 30, 2013 at 10:03 am

I have to say, I didn’t think I’d be a fan of this blog. But I find myself always coming back to your blog/youtube/instagram. You seem so sweet and your makeup and hair always look hot!
    I mainly didn’t think I would be a fan because I can.not. do my eye makeup like in any of your videos. So I’m asking, please show or explain how you blend eyeliner on the waterline! I’m seriously inept.

Emily
    July 30, 2013 at 10:38 am

Love the tutorial, love the shirt, and love your new hair color!! It fits you SO well!

Emily
    July 30, 2013 at 10:40 am

This hair is GORGEOUS!

Emgeorgias.blogspot.com

Shelby
    July 30, 2013 at 10:48 am

love this look! great tutorial, and your hair is so gorgeous!! can’t wait to browse through the rest of your blog!

kylie
    July 30, 2013 at 11:46 am

LOVE it! i’m so glad you’re back doing tutorials! yay!

Kelsie
    July 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm

You’re hair is absolutely stunning, and yes, fancy T’s and jeans are the MUST for a busy and fun mom! I just started following your blog(which is fabulous!)and I’ve searched high and low for a tutorial on how to do eyeliner the right way…. When I do mine on my tear line, it usually goes away after an hour… How do you suggest doing it properly? And also, I can’t seem to find JUST the right ashy bronzer, can you make a suggestion as to what would be the closest store bought bronzer? Thank you in advance! You rock 🙂 ❤

Cassie Ilten
    July 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Just curled my not quite shoulder length hair following this tutorial and I love it! You’re the best.

Beth
    July 30, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Hi Cara, never commented before but love your blog and all your tips. My hair is similar to yours in length, style and color. Only it is very THICK (both the individual strands and the amount…like serious amounts of hair here). Tried this style this morning and it worked ok but I wish I could get it to look more piecey. Any products you could recommend for thick hair to achieve that? I seem to have trouble finding a good balance between products that are lightweight (so they don’t weigh my long hair down) but ” strong ” enough to work. Thanks!

Nicole
    July 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Hey – Great Tutorial! This is how I used to curl my hair then everyone everywhere said ‘curl away from your face’ so I changed my ways .. Glad to see ‘my way’ was ‘right’ after all 😉 Good Job .. and sad to see your blond hair go away after all the work it took to get it .. However you look great w/ the dark hair! I did the opposite once .. Took 6 hrs to strip out the dark to get back to the ‘real’ me 😉

the makerista
    July 30, 2013 at 12:56 pm

you are beautiful and so is your hair! this is how i typically do my hair, when it’s not thrown up in a topknot anyway. my hair is a little longer than yours and if i wear it down at home it inevitably gets pulled on or food in it, or paint. 🙂

Shareesa McM
    July 30, 2013 at 1:15 pm

You are ah-may-zing. I’m so addicted to your blog. I love the depth and honesty you bring into your blogs as well. I’m always rooting for you! Thank you!

Rachel
    July 30, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I missed your videos… I feel like it”s been awhile since you’ve done one!! Thanks for being loyal to your fans!! 😀

Tracy
    July 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

You are going to hate me when I say this, but with the right products to control frizz and the willpower to keep my hands out of it my hair really does just dry like that! I am not commenting to brag about my hair but to thank you and all the rest of the straight haired girls for helping to make my natural hair a trend!! I can finally stop abusing my hair with flat irons, hair dryers, and velcro rollers! My hair thanks you too!

warobertWes
    July 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I love your current color, so gorgeous!

Jennifer
    July 30, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Love it!

Jennifer
    July 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm

So easy for work. Thanks!

Jessica
    July 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I only want to buy one curling iron? Is this the one you recommend I purchase? I will get the one you recommend! Hoping fir something versatile easy to use and can give me looks like your tutorials.

Sandra
    July 30, 2013 at 3:40 pm

This story is sooo cute! Thanks for sharing your childhood stories with us. 😉

Glorya
    July 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I loved your eighth grade story. I can recall 7th grade with disgust – I was fighting all the popular girls year long. BTW most of my uncles were masons in the Fresno valley…it’s hard work. I love your tutorial. Right now, I have very short hair….which makes me sad. I cut it short at the beginning of the year for a spiritual ritual..it’s growing out slowly. One day I hope it will long like yours. Can you do something on growing out hair? You look beautiful.

Jess
    July 30, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Your hair is sooooo shiny! What do you do to it?

Ary
    July 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I recently moved to Colorado and i can not find a good hairdresser is there any one by any chance you would recommend if you know of any?

Adrianna
    July 30, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Your hair looks so shiny and healthy! I’m envious, what products do you use to get it like that?

Seri
    July 31, 2013 at 6:10 am

Can you please do a tutorial on your makeup from this post? Absolutely gorgeous!

Monica
    July 31, 2013 at 8:54 am

So pretty! Is that for sure a 1″ iron? If so, I think I’ve been wrong on my iron sizes all along!

Ashley
    July 31, 2013 at 10:27 am

So pretty! I love effortless looking loose waves 🙂

Victoria
    July 31, 2013 at 11:39 am

Are you still using Wen, by the way?

redtagcouture
    July 31, 2013 at 11:49 am

What a cute story, and thanks for the tutorial. 7th grade nightmare stories are pretty much a riot. I dyed my hair with Glintz in middle school… Does anyone remember that stuff? It made me feel so grown-up. Still not sure how I convinced my mother to let me do that.

XO RTC

shandalbaxter
    July 31, 2013 at 12:01 pm

OMG girl you crack me up. The caption of what you say and making fun…LOVE IT. Best part of the Video…hahahaah
    Ok so love the tutorial but I have Thick hair, and what I mean by that is I have THICK hair. Like enough for 5 people.
    Its way long, naturally wavy. I love straightening it or curling it with an iron..but it literally takes me like 30-40 mins. Impossible for this Working Girl and mother of a one year old. Im constantly looking for quick ways to style it..and curl it. I will give this a try 🙂 Keep it up girly love you “stuff”!!!

Nicole
    July 31, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I seriously want to cry when I see what your hair looks like air dried. It takes me an hour just to get my hair to look like that. And THEN i have to curl it. I have SUUUUCH curly hair, which is fine when it’s really long, but I lose a LOOOOOT of hair after a baby. Then it grows back in. Imagine Ronald McDonald.

Anyway. Any help for us culry girls? `

Allison
    July 31, 2013 at 6:39 pm

pllleaseeee do a Zooey Deschanel look! hair and/or makeup. i love her and think her blue eyes are gorgeous, would love to make mine POP like hers!

April C
    July 31, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Love this tutorial! You know what I almost love as much as your hair? Skeewompus. Even when I TRY to section my hair, it ends up skeewompus, so I’m thinking this is definitely a style for me to try, LOL.

Annie
    August 1, 2013 at 12:43 am

Where were you when I needed you during those awkward stages in my life. Love this post!

Bonnie
    August 1, 2013 at 5:52 am

What kind of curling iron did you say you were using? I have been looking for something that doesn’t leave a crimp as easily. Thanks!

Jenni
    August 1, 2013 at 8:15 am

Great tutorial!! Just curious to know…..are you still using Wen?

Jenna James
    August 1, 2013 at 10:08 am

Hi Cara- Love this look!!
    My hair is thick and long! I recently made the switch to using a wand because my curls wouldn’t stay with a normal curling iron and would go flat within hours. My question for you is… can you still get this look with using a wand? Any tips or suggestions for wand users?

Gizem Sena
    August 1, 2013 at 10:22 am

Hey Cara, I really loved this look! Have to try it out 🙂

Connie
    August 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Do you have hair extensions? My audio doesn’t work on this video for some reason

Elizabeth
    August 2, 2013 at 9:49 am

Love this style! This is basically what I end up with whenever I curl my hair because it just doesn’t stay ‘curly’ for long. I like your tip about mixing up the curl away from your face and toward your face and different size chunks of hair. That adds to the sexiness :). I also love that you give out links to your cute clothes and don’t care that hundreds (actually thousands, is probably more accurate

Fainah Hernandez (@faiinah)
    August 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

Ohmygosh. I’m so happy I discovered your blog! Your posts are really helpful, especially this one, and just in time for a university party I’m going to attend this week. Yay! 🙂 Thank you thank you thank you 🙂

Chrissy
    August 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm

How do you keep your hair so healthy and shiny? What kind of treatments do you use, especially since it was blonde.

Danielle
    August 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I love your hair tutorials, but I’ve noticed you talk about the curls lasting a couple days… what do you do with your hair when you sleep so that it still looks great in the morning and can last for several days? I apparently nuzzle my pillow at night and always end up looking like a cockatiel in the morning. 🙁 I feel like you did a post about this, but I can’t seem to find it. Any chance of a redo with any new tips?

Haylee
    September 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Do you think any girl can pull off the middle part trend for hair? It looks terrible on me, but it looks great on everyone else. Can you do a post about different ways to part your hair? Thank you!!!

Diane
    October 5, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I am so excited, even my shoulder length hair looks awesome using these techniques! Yay! I am so addicted to your blog, found you in Allure, I can see why you are beauty blogger of the year, congrats!

Miranda
    October 6, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I absolutely LOVE this! I regrettably chopped my hair off into a bob a few months ago; but as soon as my hair grows back out (which is of course taking For EVER) I’m totally going to do this with it!

Jennifer Wright
    October 14, 2013 at 9:34 am

Great simple tutorial! I have a TON of hair but I think I’ll still try some of your tips and see what happens 🙂

bennettrscott
    February 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I used to do this all of the time when I used to have super long hair! It is my favorite (and easiest) style to do! I’m relatively new to your blog, but it’s amazing! I’d like to see what your hair looks like without the extensions? (Although they look great!)

valeriep
    March 4, 2014 at 8:24 am

Hi there! Great video, do you dye your own hair? if so what is the color and product line you prefer to use? Considering going darker, and love your do 😉

8 Lovely Links | Sun Protective Clothing | SummerSkin
    March 31, 2014 at 7:15 am

[…] “I Don’t Care” Hair – Complete tutorial to help you get the “harder than it looks” look. […]

Haili Hunter
    April 10, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I love this! SOOO gorgeous! Also, I love this make up look. Do you have a tutorial on this look?

Shania Parker
    July 23, 2014 at 7:01 am

Where do you get your extensions done? I’d like to get some but have no idea where to start, yours looks amazing!