My Life

Devastatingly good stuff.

I just loved my gathering from last week so I thought it might be fun to do again.

It’s very possible you already know this (cause they seem to be pimping it like crazy this year but..) Nordstrom is having a giant sale, starting today. The cool thing about it is they don’t just sell the end of the season misfits that never found a home (although those are usually my bread and butter) they put on sale the brand spankin’ new stuff. These are my top three: one, two & three.

This was a day when I caught Christian red handed in my makeup room.
A few weeks later this was our conversation.
Crush: Mom, are makeups just for girls?
Me: Yeah, mostly I guess.
Crush: Well….that’s kinda rude.
Me: It really is.

Web MD is ruining my life. This explains EVERYTHING.

This book is not from this week so much but I LOVE it. I wish I could read it for the first time everyday, it’s actually the only book I have ever read twice, ever. Have you read it? Please say you have so we can be forever bonded.

This lip trick for making your top lips look fuller is GENIUS. I use it all the time with THIS liner.

I hope you guys have a beautiful weekend. I hope also that I can get this room wonderland finished so that I can get you guys some good juicy meaty makeup posts up!

Gail A White
    July 19, 2013 at 4:32 am

The Glass Castle was also one of my favorite books ever, to think it was non fiction. Some people wallow in their inadequate parenting their whole life, blaming everything on them. I cannot imagine seeing my Mother dumpster diving. I’ve only read. It once, perhaps I should read it again.
    I enjoy your make up posts and videos.

July 19, 2013 at 4:36 am

Hi Cara! I guess we’re forever bonded…I love the Glass Castle….and love your blog, too..

July 19, 2013 at 4:39 am

Love Glass Castle and yes, I’ve read it twice. Her other books, I’ve read, but was disappointed. Nothing compares to this one.

July 19, 2013 at 4:50 am

Oh, I’ve read The Glass Castle twice, as well!! Definitely in my top ten!! Also, I literally had a WebMD-related meltdown last night, so that was very timely! 😉

July 19, 2013 at 4:58 am

Haven’t read it but after all these endorsments I might pick it up! Just wanted to share my favorite Nordstrom item, sadly not on sale but oh so gorgeous: Not that I could ever splurge on it but may be other ladies on here have birthdays coming up :). Also, even since you posted about Lisa Eldridge I have been obsessively watching her videos, I can’t get enough of that accent esp the way she says mascara and blusher lol! It’s too bad she always uses super high end products and British stuff we don’t even have here in the U.S. and usually has depressingly hot models. I still way prefer yours :). But a great share, she’s become the only beauty blogger I follow.

July 19, 2013 at 5:05 am

Goodness I’m tired. I meant to type “I still prefer your videos.” (“yours” might be a bit vague). And she’s become the only other beauty blogger I follow, besides YOU obv. lol. Though I did try a few others I found on youtube and was immediatelly put off, after only 1-2 videos, for some reason. It’s strange to me how hard it seems to be to have a good beauty blog. Can’t put my finger on it but somehow it just doesn’t come naturally to others like it does to you and I guess Lisa (she is sickeningly polished though, a bit hard to relate to at times… But seems sweet nontheless).

July 21, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Thank you so much Sena! I am so happy you like my videos, I am going to get back on the horse with those so soon! I love Lisa, what a babe:) And um are you serious!? that swim suit is to die for!

July 19, 2013 at 5:41 am

Glass Castle is my favorite as well. I enjoyed the pre-sequel as well Half Broke Horses.

July 21, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I really enjoyed Half Broke Horses too, have you read her newest book? A Silver Star?

July 19, 2013 at 6:03 am

I LOVED the Glass Castle. It makes me feel so much better about MY parenting skills. No matter how I fail,I will NEVER be as bad a mom as that one!

July 19, 2013 at 6:25 am

“Well….that’s kinda rude.” LOVE it, that’s so funny!

July 19, 2013 at 6:55 am

Love love love the Glass Castle. Have you read Half Broke Horses? That one was really good too – based on the life of her grandmother. I’m reading The Silver Star now. Jeanette tells such a good story. 🙂

July 21, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Don’t you just want to be her friend? I read Silver Star not long ago, and really liked it. Hard to top the Glass Castle though:)

July 19, 2013 at 7:22 am

I loved Glass Castle, too. I read it a few years ago and I still think about it on occasion!

July 19, 2013 at 7:58 am

Oh man, you are sooo right about web md. I do the same thing and convince myself that I will be dead in a week. I have not read Glass Castle, but thanks for the suggestion! I always need new books to read! I’ll comment when I’m done. Have you seen the #mintmanisfortalia ? A bunch of people did mint manis today in tribute to her. Check them out on instagram.

July 19, 2013 at 8:03 am

I loved “The Glass Castle” as well as “Half Broke Horses”! Excellent reads. Have you ever read “These Is My Words” by Nancy E. Turner? AMAZEBALLS.

July 21, 2013 at 11:34 pm

No but I am totally going to check it out now!

July 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

I loved The Glass Castle. I made my Mom read it. She had a horrible mother growing up and it made her realize she didn’t have it so bad. Even though someone else having it worse than her still didn’t make it ok.

July 19, 2013 at 8:09 am

Will join the crowd on some Glass Castle love. I read it the first time, got to the last page, and literally started over again. My book club is reading it this fall and I can’t wait to find some more people to have a Jeannette Walls crush with me. I also really liked Half-Broke Horses, which is about Walls’ grandmother; you get a little glimpse of how Walls’ mother was raised and “formed” and her growing up years, it helps to frame Glass Castle in a little bit more comprehensive light. Love.

July 19, 2013 at 8:33 am

The Glass Castle… Read it for a class in college. Probably one of the saddest books I have ever read in my life. Great book though. Definitely left a mark on my life.

PS Thanks for the tip on the Nordstrom sale! Last sale I found a gold necklace with the word “Love” written in the same writing as the “Love” charm in the Sex and the City episode with Jennifer Hudson… for $8! Score.

July 19, 2013 at 9:07 am

The Glass Castle is amazing! We read it for book club a couple years ago. I’ve given it to everyone to read!

July 19, 2013 at 9:12 am

I loved The Glass Castle! I had my mom read it because she grew up very, very poor in West Virginia around the same time as the author. She told me that it wasn’t that bad for her. Which is so enlightening because my mom grew up getting an orange for Christmas, and going off to college (with a scholarship) with very few sets of clothes. She probably grew up with less money than the author. It shows you how much selfishness and metal illness can affect and change your life and those around you.

July 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

LOVE the Glass Castle! One of my faves. Sad but such a great story for putting things into perspective- it could always be worse. Great reminder to not let your past dictate your future.

July 19, 2013 at 9:43 am

Please keep the book recommendations coming. The Fault in Our Stars was brilliant, and I’m definitely going to check this one out. As soon as I finish Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn. Have you read that one? It’s a page-turner!

July 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Gone Girl completely took over my life for like 3 days! I want to hear what you think when you finish it!…seems like you and I should definitely be swapping book recommendations.

July 19, 2013 at 10:02 am

I feel the EXACT same way about The Glass Castle and have recommended it to alot of people as well! Such an amazing story, very thought-provoking!

July 19, 2013 at 10:03 am

Haven’t read that one yet. I’m going to though. I’ll probably cry all the way through because it sounds too close to home! Thanks for the recommendation. Love your blog.

July 19, 2013 at 10:04 am

LOVE that lip video! And, your Nordstrom finds are amazing. The boots and leggings are super cute! I’m looking forward to reading The Glass Castle.

July 19, 2013 at 10:25 am

The Glass Castle is fantastic! She’s actually coming to my town next month to give a talk. I’m so excited! 🙂

July 19, 2013 at 11:14 am

Love that picture! Christian has obviously taken some notes during your HAC-ing video recording. 😀

July 19, 2013 at 11:29 am

I loved The Glass Castle, but I thought Jeannette Walls was a little too whiny about her parents. I thought they were great parents — look at the stuff those kids learned! And look how they turned out — successful and totally resourceful. Sometimes “good parenting” is equated with museum curatorship, IMHO.

July 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

As a thin lip girl, I LOVE the YouTube tutorial. Thank you!

July 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Christian is such a cutie.

I would love if you made these Friday posts a regular thing.

July 21, 2013 at 11:36 pm

It’s a really fun post to research:0 I’m so glad you like it:)

Olga Diaz
    July 19, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I read The Glass Castle it is indeed an amazing read. At times heartbreaking other times funny, mostly sad but at least the author not only survived but triumphed.

July 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I just read Jeannette Walls book, Half Broke Horses, all day yesterday. It’s about her grandmother. Great read. I really want to read Glass Castle.

[email protected]
    July 21, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I love this post and all of your suggesting. Definitely want to read Glass Castle. And your Christian…is such a doll!!

July 21, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I have also read the Glass Castle! I was going through a rough family time about 7 years ago and someone told me to read it. I was mesmerized and it gave me a whole new perception on my own life. I am so happy you mentioned it on your blog! I almost forgot about it… maybe its time to dust it off and give it another read myself 🙂

July 22, 2013 at 12:46 am

Glass castle is my all time favorite!!!

July 22, 2013 at 5:44 am

Now I feel like we could be friends “in real life!” Glass Castle was amazing. I loved Half Broke Horses too, and I have Silver Star requested at our library. 😉 Along the same lines of memoir that reads like fiction, check out Mary Karr. She wrote The Liars Club, Cherry, and Lit. Her writing knocks me out.
    It seems like you and the blog have blossomed over the last year or so, and I wish you even more success!

Anne G.
    July 22, 2013 at 8:02 am

Before I clicked on the book you were talking about, I was thinking “I bet it’s The Glass Castle.” I read it this weekend and loved it.

Haley M.
    July 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Glass Castle was the best book I’ve read in years. It changed how I look at my own bad situations and I am way more grateful now for everything I have. It’s right up there w/ “Kite Runner” for me. I’d highly recommend that book if you haven’t already read it.

July 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

Enjoy your videos and all the book reviews here. If you like Glass Castle and such, I recommend Possum Living by Dolly Freed. I seem to have a bend for these types of biographies… Also read And the Mountains Echoed for a fictional twist on it (same author as Kite Runner) But I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn for a much need break from that type of thing. It was great!
    Keep the videos coming! Love that you list the products used.