Beauty on the road.

The best way I've found to pack my most precious beauty products.

I have tried packing my makeup in every which way I could think of.
I’ve ended up (so far..) hooked on one very classy method.
After trying a few more aesthetically pleasing options, that always never worked the way I wanted them to. For instance:

Makeup packing

The Train Case/Caboodle
I like the way these look but…
A. They are BIG and Bulky
B. While dragging one of these around my heart aches with every clank and clamor I hear going on inside the box and I’m being careful!
I can’t even imagine what could possibly be going on while it’s being loaded into the plane…
C. There is no leeway in the dimensions. If it doesn’t fit, there’s no squeezing and something is always left out.

Makeup Roll Up
Although, less clanky and obtrusive, these have also caused me problems over time. Being:
A. Never enough space (but I usually have work so I need to bring much more makeup than for just one face)
B. Once dirty these have always been hard for me to get looking shiny and new again.

Those and variations of those have pretty much been my only rotating option until I found…

Best beauty packing idea ever!

The Zip&Ship
Michelle & Laura (akacMM&L Show)  gave me this idea a few months back on Youtube. This video explains how they pack with baggies. Its kind of genius cause it keeps everything organized and clean being how it’s all separated. So if a foundation blows mid-flight the mess is contained.
I take 4, 1 Gallon Zip Locks: Eyes, Lips, Face & Brushes.
Then within the large bags I’ll separate out into smaller categories with zip locks i.e.
Lips: Red, Berry, Pink & Nude
Eyes: Brows, shadow & lashes
Face: Blush, bronzers, illuminators, primers & foundations
The smaller the makeup collection the less you need to separate out but you could always use this for all other toiletries and anything else you need to pack. I’ve found more than anything it helps me not forget so much because I’ve gone through each group so it’s easier to see what’s missing. PLUS: If (or when in may case) the Zips get dirty? Just switch em with a sparkly new one.

I CANNOT wait to tell you guys all about my New York Trip.
I can’t even emotionally deal with how incredible it was.
In the meantime have the most wonderful 4th of July!

July 4, 2013 at 5:35 am

Gorgeous one, have a great fourth of July too. Hugs from Texas!

July 4, 2013 at 5:52 am

Happy 4th to your family too! What a great idea!

July 4, 2013 at 6:03 am

That’s how I pack my makeup too… Those little makeup cases always get so dirty!!

This is a little off topic but do you still use Wen? I just found your website via pinterest and have been reading through your old posts. I’ve been thinking about trying it but would love to hear your opinion on it!

July 4, 2013 at 6:39 am

Did you see this follow up post about Wen?

IIRC, she’s said that you can’t use Wen with the extensions she’s got in right now.

July 4, 2013 at 6:42 am

This is so easy, I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me. I sort of tried this on my last trip but I was using the collection of little make up bags I have from my Ipsy subscription. That looked really pretty but it meatn that I couldn’t find anything!

July 4, 2013 at 6:43 am

Blergh. I meant to have this be a reply to main post but I can’t edit my comments.

July 4, 2013 at 6:45 am

That’s really smart! I think ill try that next time I usually just shive all my makeup in a bag and cross my fingers I have everything haha

July 4, 2013 at 6:53 am

Haha, this is totally what I defaulted to when I had to style a book on the other side of the country, because the dang caboodle I bought just FOR THAT PURPOSE wouldn’t fit comfortably in the suitcase. I also had several sets of brushes in numbered bags so that I could keep each model’s separate. By the end, the organizational system fell apart though- part of it is because we were working out of a car on location and there wasn’t space to spread out at all, and part of it is my own negligence (we were in a hurry!) I’d like to find something slightly more structured if I ever do that again (or maybe color coded- do they make colored ziplocs? They must… or maybe something like small packing cubes? )

July 4, 2013 at 7:27 am

I use zip locks for everything…best invention EVER!!! Happy 4th of July 🙂

Erin @ Sassin' Southern Style
    July 4, 2013 at 8:09 am

I love some Ziploc bags something fierce. I usually use the roll-up, but I might have to try the baggie approach next time. Thanks!

Sharon Cullen
    July 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

I’ve been packing this way for years. EVERYTHING goes in zip bags. Shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes. I also pack extra zip bags.

July 4, 2013 at 10:58 am

I hate traveling with makeup; I’m always worried something is going to break or get lost! When going on a plane I usually use ziploc bags, but if it’s just on the road then I stick everything I want in my smaller than usual Lancome makeup bag 🙂

July 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Zip locks are mandatory when flying…. the first time something leaks (due to the air pressure) or a powder shatters you will understand, lol!

I used a caboodle train case very similar to the one you showed for several years when traveling with my husband for his work. I found the key is to use some washcloths (or socks!) to fill any empty space. Cushions all your products. I never once had anything break and with the solid case crushing was not a worry.

July 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Nice to see I was ahead of the game on this. Zip locks are a must. So useful. I can’t wait to hear about New York.

July 4, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Simple yet useful. Thanks for sharing, Cara!

Electrical Being

July 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Hah! I put mine in little glad tupperware containers and I usually have no problem organizing it all, but I think the ziploc is a better idea!

July 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Great idea! How do you keep your make-up/products organized at home? I find that the things I use daily are easy to get at, but other products that i only use occasionally, different hair product, crazy lip color, different eye shadows, etc. get pushed to the back of the drawer or where ever and then I forget I have them or forget to use them. Its fun to ‘re-discover’ them … but i’d like a more easily accessible way of having my stuff available to use. Any ideas you have would be appreciated! PS – I LOVE your blog – i’m TOTALLY addicted to it.

Ginny Hurst
    July 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I LOVE the MM&L show – Its great to know that that system works for beauty products!

July 5, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Hi Cara,

Ever since I have stumbled upon your blog about a year ago, I have been hooked! I am consistently reading your posts and catching up with the latest hair/makeup ideas. Although I have naturally curly Italian hair, I constantly straighten my hair. I know, its not the healthiest decision, however I am in total denial with my curls. I have never found the right product or style for it. It is either to frizzy or to stiff from the product. Without any product it is just a mess. My only option is to pull it back tight into a “ballerina bun” and not look into the mirror for the entire day until I wash that mane and straighten it. Sounds dramatic right? After sharing my whole hair life story with you, I am writing this to hopefully inspire you to do a tutorial or post about styling naturally curly hair. After using as my style bible, I know that you are the person who will be able to help me!

Your loyal fan from Canada,

July 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm

So excited to hear about your NY adventures! 😀

Happy belated 4th!

July 6, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Love this! I had the same problem with Caboodles and roll-ups! Too funny! I’m at the ziploc stage too! Thanks for posting! 🙂

July 10, 2013 at 3:19 am

This looks promising and I gonna try one of these days ;)!

Zip and Ship | Mumma Blog
    October 2, 2013 at 4:17 am

[…] as I was reading a post on a blog I am following, I found out that that pretty lady learned this trick from some other women on youtube, and they all did it with ziplock bags. Even […]

louis vuitton sale
    August 29, 2014 at 5:53 am

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?
    louis vuitton sale