My Life

In my teen years I had a tendency to turn my crushes into obsessions.
My brother Noah had a friend named Mike with whom I was COMPLETELY gaga over. To the point that I threw Noah a “surprise” birthday BBQ just so I could invite Mike and (hopefully) spend some quality time wooing him. This may sound like a really pathetic attempt to get a boys attention but trust me when I say it’s not nearly the worst in my arsenal of memories, once I get my mind on something I exert any and all of my energies into getting it. It took a few years out of high school for me to realize this tactic did not work so well with people.
So the barbecue goes off without a hitch and it’s decided we will move the party down the street to watch a movie at a friends house. I had picked out my cutest tight baby blue skirt, with matching jean jacket and a pair of high wedgies for the occasion, in other words I was lookin’ good. In this state, was I going to miss an opportunity to walk in front of the pack and show off my strut? No, no I wasn’t.
Much to my eternal dismay when I arrived at the house and took a bathroom break I saw that I had sat in a nice big splotch of ketchup.
Which looked much more like a period problem than a condiment problem. Which turned my sexy strut into one of my most embarrassing moments.
Sure I came out and talked loudly about how I’d sat in ketchup but my announcement was greeted only with sympathetic, disbelieving nods.

Embarrassed bunny.

Kotex and their neon and black tampon-camouflaging-boxes want me to know that periods are nothing to be embarrassed about, and they’re right. Yet, women everywhere have female related problems that they suffer through because it’s embarrassing or should not be discussed in civilized company or some other reason I don’t know about. So I thought it might be a good topic to address so that we could share some of our tips about dealing with pesky problems. Some of us might feel much more comfortable reading about it on a blog than discussing it over brunch. I’m going to probably be pretty blunt so if you consider yourself too sensitive for topics such as these, I suggest not reading further. No hard feelings.

Here’s where it gets gritty:

A while back I noticed a fishy smell in my undercarriage. I also noticed I was itchy and had more discharge than usual. I figured I had a yeast infection so I went to the doctor. Turns out, I had Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) so the doc gave me an antibiotic and sent me on my way. The pill cleared it up but it wasn’t long before I got another one. Apparently there are many factors but some women are just prone to them or get them chronically. Not very long after I noticed the symptoms coming back, now that it had been diagnosed by a pro I felt pretty confident that I knew what I had but I was really hesitant to go back in cause it’s expensive, takes forever and I hate antibiotics so I found something at Walgreens that was $30 bucks and claimed to homeopathic-ally clear it up after 6 days. Again, it worked but it took longer than I liked and before I knew it, I saw symptoms again.  I was not thrilled. I took to the internets and found out many women were having success using a hydrogen peroxide douche. I was pretty skeptical because I had heard that douching actually causes many problems plus HP seemed pretty intense for such a thing. It took many testimonials and a medical study to finally talk my into it. I went out and spent $2 bucks on some and followed the directions HERE. Guess what? It completely cleared it up. I instantly smelled fresh and felt better, I repeated it again for the next couple of nights and it has’t come back since. I felt like it might a couple of months later so I did one treatment and got right back on track.

The simplicity of this and the fact that I spent so much time and money and had to choke down antibiotics before discovering it made me feel like it was info I just could not sit on while many of my readers could be suffering the same thing (since I read that it effects %30 of us)!

It got me thinking that there are probably other awesome remedies that you guys could share as well.
So whether it’s a girly problem or just a regular health solution of any kind I’d love to hear it.
I hope you guys don’t mind me being so personal, I wouldn’t have been TMI if I didn’t think it could really benefit some of you, promise:)

Amber Friend
    June 11, 2013 at 12:03 am

I seriously love that you are so open and have decided to talk about things that some may say is too much or risky… But we all know life isn’t always roses and butterflies. Love the realness… Love your fearlessness!! Just wanted you to know I appreciate you and all your “TMI” Lol 🙂

June 11, 2013 at 12:18 am

Nappy Cream for my acne works a treat, sounds offputting for some. But the zinc oxide in it does wonders for my skin and cleared it up asap (I still use it nightly to keep it at bay) super affordable and not at all harsh on the skin too. 🙂

June 11, 2013 at 8:56 am

Is that product sold in the States? I’ve never heard of it, and a quick google search pops up with a bunch of UK websites.

June 11, 2013 at 9:25 am

I believe nappy cream is just diaper rash cream. Desitin, etc.

Becka Thraen
          June 19, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Yes, it is. “Nappy” is the British word for “diaper”

Kristen T
    June 11, 2013 at 12:24 am

I’m the same way. Super prone to these kinds of infections as well as UTI’s. What I have found, for me, after TONS of reading is that my flora was messed up. I started taking pro-biotics and NOT drinking tap water which has added chlorine that kills the good bacteria in your body that keep you from getting a yeast infection. I’ve noticed my insides like me a lot more now, since drinking distilled water. 🙂 I will have to try the HP solution. Thank you for posting!!

Liz Tea Bee
      June 11, 2013 at 4:37 am

If you leave a pitcher of water out for 8+ hours all the chlorine with evaporate. Staying away from tap water (and the fluoride and mineral in it) can often do more harm than good. Plus it’s expensive!

Also, I’m glad that probiotics seem to be working for you but they don’t for most women with flora issues because the actual probiotics don’t reach that area of your body. They can help the flora in your gut and some medical professionals think that can set of a positive chain reaction in some women. (I’m totally jealous that it worked for you! It didn’t help me at all in that department.)

June 14, 2013 at 5:49 am

Liz Tea Bee, I am sure you know this already but just incase you don’t. There are many different combinations of probiotics out there. Sometimes you have to shop around and try a few out before you find one that works for you.

June 11, 2013 at 12:32 am

Hydrogen peroxide is used as a bleaching agent and in cleaners. It can not be good for your body, especially when it comes to the most sensitive and fragile part of a woman’s body. I understand you read a medical study but there are studies that exist claiming there are no differences between hormone-injected foods versus all natural and organic foods. PLEASE do not put that in your body again! I’ve had symptoms like yours multiplied by 54 (just making a statement that my odor was HORRID), and after trying almost everything out there I found what really worked for me was tea tree oil. It not only took my symptoms away but I have been free of them for almost a year. I placed 2 teaspoons of organic tea tree oil in a plastic douche bag (I bought Summer’s Eve and emptied the contents) with room temperature water, laid down in the tub with my butt lifted so gravity could help the fluid go as deep as possible, and douched away. It’s amazing how you feel the tea tree working right away on all the bacteria. It tingles but it feels so good and clean. Because tea tree oil is derived from a plant it is completely safe and gentle to use everyday until the odor and unclean feeling goes away. Somehow the plant actually helps your body continually fight the bacteria down there so you don’t have to worry about it coming back once you have done it for a few weeks straight. My odor was so strong and embarrassing that I had a major complex about having intercourse with my partner. I am no longer afraid:)

June 11, 2013 at 5:14 am

Tea tree oil can actually be poisonous if ingested. Just a reminder that not everything natural is always safe.

June 11, 2013 at 8:16 am

I agree. Saying it “is derived from a plant it is completely safe and gentle to use everyday” is a blanket statement that simply isn’t true. Would you douche with jalepeno juice? I mean, it comes from a plant, so it’s ok right? Youch.

June 11, 2013 at 9:17 am

I agree with you! Tea tree oil can be antibacterial, but it also tends to burn! When I first started noticing these symptoms, I tried using tea tree on a washcloth with warm water to cleanse around that area. Even that burned because I hadn’t properly diluted it. I say be very careful with tea tree oil!

• WH
            June 11, 2013 at 10:23 am

You guys are way off to the left. I never said to ingest tea tree oil nor did I say to douche with jalapeno juice (what a ridiculous analogy). Stick to the topic.

• SBB
            June 11, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I work in the medical field and we use HP all the time. We use it to help clean out ears I’m sure you can use it to wash your vajayjay safely. I have had this problem on and off for a long time so I’m glad you brought it up! Next time I’m going to give it a go and try 🙂

• Liz
            June 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm

The analogy was ridiculous in order to prove my point 🙂 it’s also just as ridiculous as your statement.

June 12, 2013 at 10:27 pm

if you read the bottle it has many uses, including gargling it. completely safe

June 17, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Just to clarify, hydrogen peroxide is actually just water and oxygen (H2O2). Your body makes it naturally to fight infection, so it makes sense of why this would work in douche form (it is also used for many other health benefits). While it does whiten whites, it’s actually not at all bleach, so you can rest assured she’s not using any form of Clorox.
      I agree Tea Tree Oil is a great remedy, but Hydrogen Peroxide would actually be more gentle in this case.

If you would like to read more about the benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide for health, here is a cool article:

Hope that helps!

June 18, 2013 at 10:39 am

If tea tree oil helped your issue, it was likely a yeast infection. Tea tree oil is an anti-fungal. I work in medicine and we often use hydrogen peroxide for BV.

June 11, 2013 at 2:10 am

OMG. Thank you for being so open!! Even my closest friends sometimes get freaked out when I try to discuss topics like this. I currently have a yeast infection and then just got my period last night. IT SUCKS. Your post came at the perfect time to remind me that we all have feminine issues at one time or another. And its OK to talk about them (;

June 11, 2013 at 7:48 am

I’ve had several yeast infections lately. Apparently it’s often common for some women when they get their period because the blood is such a strong base it changes your PH balance. I found that 8 oz of cranberry juice (the natural non-cocktail, no sugar added kind which tastes really gross) diluted in about 24 oz of water have cleared it right up. – I mean I drank it, I didn’t douche with it. I guess it’s acidic enough it changes the balance back.

And thanks for sharing!

June 12, 2013 at 11:35 am

I have cranberry chews that give you as much as a 8oz glass but they are just like little candies. I think I got them at GNC. 🙂

June 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I take cranberry extract pills whenever I feel like things are a little out of whack…way quicker than drinking the juice, same results & so cheap!

June 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely try drinking cranberry juice!

August 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm

A great remedy for preventing a yeast infection is restoring the PH value in your vagina after sex (when semen or saliva has been in contact with your vagina) and when you have had your period. This is not a cure if you already have an yeast infection, but it’s a great way to prevent them from coming back 🙂

After an abortion about 3 years ago I had a series of really bad yeast infections (I know this can happen to women who has given birth also!), and prescribed drugs would fight it but it ALWAYS came back. I will spear you the details, but the infections were BAD. This was, of course, not only putting me off sex, but also caused great discomfort throughout the day. After some research I found that my PH balance was off, causing the fungal to thrive.

Now, here in Norway where I live you can buy an over the counter vaginal gel with lactic acid bacteria. I’m pretty sure this is something contries outside Norway must have, because Norway is ridicilously stright about all things pharmacy- and medicin – related. Anyway: Everytime my period is about to stop and ALWAYS after sex (after a trip to the bathroom followed by a good wash with a MILD soap, or somethimes just sweet almond oil), I squirt some in my vagina (this particular gel comes with a pointed tip, so this is easy). You don’t need much, and you don’t need to smear it everywhere inside. Just a fingernail-sized drop is enough 🙂

This has relieved me of MANY vaginal problems, including the slight dryness I experience everytime after my period. I cannot tell you how much I love this stuff! The fresh smell has been restored, I have NO fungal problems (in over an year), and can know enjoy a healthy sexlife every time 🙂

June 17, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Hi Lilly! A great remedy for yeast infections are apple cider vinegar! Drink 2 table spoons in a small amount of warm water each morning (it’s not super delicious, but you definitely get used to it) It has a plethora of benefits, but one being to balance your PH. My sister gets yeast infections regularly and hasn’t had one since starting the apple cider vinegar. Maybe worth a try, especially around that time of the month!

Candi Kidd
    June 11, 2013 at 2:45 am

Have you heard of the all natural sugar xylitol? Its found in fruits, veggies, mushrooms, birchbark, even your body in small amounts. we use it in dentistry heavily because the bacteria in your mouth cannot process the sugar (it has 5 carbon units instead if 6 like sucrose). they have found that people that chew enough gum that’s 100 percent xylitol have up to an 80 percent reduction in cavities. They have also found that moms that consume 5-10 grams 5x daily ( ie. I brush with spry toothpaste 2x a day and then pop xylitol gum or mints 3 times a day, so after each meal) their children also had almost an 80 percent reduction in cavities. I have my bachelors in dental hygiene and could talk about xylitol all day long. I used to read journal articles to my baby!! Anyway, I was talking to the xylitol dental rep and she told me that some women put xylitol sugar in a douche and the antibacterial properties have cleared up a whole slew of female problems. The military is using xylitol heavily for their soldiers because of the dental benefits. They are also using xylitol with traditional medication to aid in wound healing in people that were not healing. Sorry, I will stop typing!

June 11, 2013 at 4:17 am

That’s really interesting, Candi! Are there any particular brands of gum and toothpaste I can look for, because my mouth is super prone to cavities! Or is this something that needs a prescription?

Tiffany C
        June 11, 2013 at 8:58 am

Orbitz has it!

June 11, 2013 at 10:13 am

Just a quick note, I love xylitol for myself but be careful not to let your pets eat any of it. It is highly toxic to dogs!! and I think to cats too, tho I am not 100% on that one.

• Kelly Gardner
            June 11, 2013 at 10:24 am

Xylitol IS great; however, note that most commercial gums with Xylitol also have sweeteners of some sort (asparatame, etc.) which actually can cause you to produce more saliva and grow more bacteria, thereby mitigating the effects of the Xylitol. You have to buy special Xylitol gums and mints (usually via internet) that do NOT contain the sweeteners in order to get the full benefits!

June 13, 2013 at 11:41 am

i make my own toothpaste with it! ashleysgreenlife channel on youtube has a recipe for it

nicole n
      June 11, 2013 at 4:35 am

Where and what types of paste and gum! My kids looovveee gum! Lol! Is it good for sensitive teeth? Thanks for posting!!!

Tiffany C
        June 11, 2013 at 8:58 am

Orbitz has it!

June 11, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Orbitz does have xylitol but unfortunately not enough. It has to be a 100 % xylitol in order to have the benefits. Gum like orbitz it takes 22 pieces to get the recommended amount of xylitol!! In additon most sugar free gums (besides xylitol) the bacteria in your mouth can still process the sugar.

I use the brand Spry from Xclear. You can purchase it at your local food store or online. They have gum/ mints/ candy with 100% xylitol and spry toothpaste. You can purchase it at health food stores or online. I also use the sugar to cook with. Taste great, it has 40 % less calories than normal table sugar and a glycemic index of 7, great for diabetics! (I think sucrose is in the 80s). Like someone mentioned do not give xylitol to pets just like you wouldn’t give them a lot of food! 🙂

Also if you are going to cook with xylitol start slowly because it can act like a fiber in your body if its eaten in bulbous amounts.

I love xylitol there are hundred of studies on the stuff. Its used in other countries but we’re a little behind here in the United States. Besides just changing bacteria it also reduces plaque by 50 percent (which is probably more than your kids are getting off brushing 😉 , it alos helps promote saliva for those that suffer from dry mouth.

Sorry, I’ll stop typing again… I seriously could talk about xylitol all day long!!

• Beth Hess
            June 14, 2013 at 3:34 am

Thanks for this great info! Spry in my amazon cart already. 🙂

June 11, 2013 at 11:14 am

Totally agree w/ the xylitol comment. I’m RDH as well and we recommend as you do.
      We also use Hydrogen peroxide in the mouth and that tissue is very sensitive just as other areas of our body. When diiluted it’s safe.
      Thanks Cara for your post.

June 18, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Xylitol is created by adding an extra hydroxyl (OH) group…it has nothing to do with carbon atoms…(sorry, I did my term project in biochem on artificial sweeteners). it doesn’t exactly have antibacterial properties, it is just unable to be utilized by bacteria…BUT beware it can cause major gastric upset! It is also TOXIC to dogs! Keep it far away from them!

June 11, 2013 at 4:24 am

Thanks you so much!! You are a God send!! Keep blogging because you are helping so many of us out there!!

Liz Tea Bee
    June 11, 2013 at 4:31 am

Heh I thought I had chronic BV at one point (so did my doctor, initially). Turns out I had desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. It’s like BV or a yeast infection except a million times more intense and the cause is unknown. It’s generally seen in pre-menopausal women but I was 21. Six years and MANY specialists visits later (including physical therapy to treat the learned pain response) I’ve found ways to manage it.

I know that going to the doctor is a financial burden (and logistically difficult with a little one) but it’s definitely worth calling and asking to talk to the nurse about the safety of over-the-counter remedies. Some of them can end up doing more harm than good.

We’d all be better off if it was socially acceptable to talk about this sort of thing. Many of my girlfriends who had incontinence issues after having kids didn’t know that a few sessions with a physical therapist can teach you how to fix the issue. Then I have to explain why I know so much about it (I don’t have kids yet). It’s weird that my closest girlfriends didn’t know about a chronic health problem that was sometimes so bad that it made it painful for me to walk.

June 11, 2013 at 4:32 am

I found your blog a few weeks ago, bought the basics kit and brushes, and have been having a great time learning, at 44, new ways to do makeup.

Last night I randomly decided to check out some other blogs and videos to see if it was just that I suddenly love makeup blogs… yeah, no. It’s you and your lovely real self.

Thank you for being so honest and real and hilarious and serious, all at once. Can’t wait to hear about your adventures in NY!

June 11, 2013 at 4:58 am

Thank you for sharing! I’m so happy you found something that has worked for you!! It is crazy how much our bodies change after pregnancy and also just on a normal year to year basis, isnt it true every 7 years our body chemisyry changes? Between the hormone changes, hair loss, skin sensitivities, new allergies, hip and pubic bone pain, etc etc, its hard feeling human oh and not to mention lack of beautiful sleep! Lol! But it’s all worth it and plus we are all strong women and get through it……could you imagine how a man would handle all that ;), our sweet men would probably be brought to tears!

Crystal Vires-Smith
    June 11, 2013 at 5:19 am

I’m just glad women are talking to each other. I’m in healthcare, and we tend to be an over sharing lot, but it helps us all evade a lot of other issues I see my non-medical friends deal with, not to mention it makes it easier for my daughters to discuss their issues, and since I have a 13 year old…that matters! Share ladies, it makes all the difference

June 11, 2013 at 5:37 am

I’m one of those shy girls that wishes someone else would talk about these issues so I can finally admit to myself that I’m not alone! Great post! xoxo

June 11, 2013 at 5:49 am

Thanks for this post. I had been either pregnant or nursing for the last six years before I started getting chronic yeast infections. It started after I weened my last baby when he turned one. I got a yeast infection every time I ovulated for ten months in a row! It was awful! I tried everything from probiotics to Rephresh to prevent them but nothing would work. Cream and diflucan would clear it up but it would come back the next month with hormone fluctuations. The on finally put me on an anti fungal pill that has worked so far. Intake half a pill every day for six months, I’m two months into it and been symptom free so far. I appreciate your openness because when something like this is going on you feel like the lone ranger! Lol!

June 11, 2013 at 6:00 am

Try the probiotics for your chronic vaginal issues. You may be put on an antibiotic or anti fungal simultaneously but they DO work and worth the effort, as well.

Ann Marie
    June 11, 2013 at 6:12 am

You are a strong woman to share your story, but as a nurse I need to caution you. Vaginal infections can become so severe that they can cause a woman to become infertile, or even worse the infections can become systemic and get into your bloodstream. There are a lot of organs down there, and infections will spread if they are not treated correctly. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is an infection of the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries caused by a vaginal infection that spread up through the cervix. PID can cause infertility, ectopic pregnancies or even worse, death.

Antibiotics are all different, they kill different types of bacteria. It may have been that the antibiotic your doctor prescribed did not cover all the bacteria that was causing the infection. You should go back if your symptoms return so they can try a different antibiotic, or a longer course of antibiotics. You are right to be cautious about taking antibiotics, they are often prescribed too freely for things that are not actually bacterial, like sinus infections or a sore throat. But for bacterial vaginosis, you need the antibiotics. It is just not safe to risk your health or fertility. Also, you should tell your doctor about the hydrogen peroxide douche you have been using. Please consult your OBGYN before trying any homeopathic remedies.

I am not opposed to homeopathic remedies, but for women in their childbearing years it is best to consult your OBGYN. You DO NOT want to risk your health or fertility.

Jen Roberts
    June 11, 2013 at 6:15 am

Mixing a tablespoon of melted coconut oil w 1/8tsp boric acid in a shot glass and then freezing works great as an overnight suppository for the whooo ha that works for me every time! Also, this is a great au natural way to address yeast infections.

June 11, 2013 at 6:18 am

Thank you so much for this post. Recently I have moved three thousand miles away from all my friends and family and miss having girl talk, your blog definitely is the best substitute! Thank you for being so raw and genuine.

June 11, 2013 at 6:18 am

My issue with this is that I get BV….take antibiotics(pill or vaginal cream)……then I get a yeast infection! Then I take Diflucan….it gets better for a couple months…..then we start the same cycle again. Any advice @Ann Marie?

Ann Marie
      June 11, 2013 at 7:58 am

Eat yogurt every day when you take antibiotics. It helps to keep the natural flora alive down there, so you don’t get a yeast infection.

June 11, 2013 at 9:24 am

Ok thanks! Do you think there’s any truth to the chlorine in the tap water theory someone above mentioned? Because I started having this issue around the same time we moved to a new town (I used to live in the country on well water and now I’m on city water)….makes me wonder!

June 17, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Ugh…I do the same BV-Yeast Infection rollercoaster. I am currently trying probiotics. I can’t put any medicine “down there” because it makes every symptom worse. I am afraid of trying the Hydrogen Peroxide in fear of killing all the bad bacteria for the BV and then causing the mother of all yeast infections. Man…I hate being a girl sometimes.

June 11, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Alysia DO NIT eat yogurt every day! # 1 it goes into your digestive system which is thought to help your vagina but it is not very effective # 2 even if it has probiotics its dairy and breaks down into more sugar which is not what you want in your system! I was given that same advice for years- been suffering w recurrent yeast infections for 9 years and symptoms that were similar but turned out not to be yeast infections. Someone above mentioned desquamative anti inflammatory vaginitis, my dr didn’t have a name for it but I’ve had biopsies that came back as chronic inflammation and a high oh balance so they diagnosed me with an autoimmune disorder with no particular cause or tx. What had been working really well for me is a baking soda dousch 2x per week plus a daily bath to soak the area. I’ve also found a more holistic diet with next to no sugar(or anything that turns into sugar) Helps as it clears your system of yeast, my holistic dr has thoughts that the yeast infection is systemic! I also put alkaline drops in my water daily and my symptoms have reoccurred far less in the last year! Talk to your dr but don’t do the yogurt-sugar= no hope this helps someone as its been a difficult road of yeast infections, pain w intercoarse, ordor, itch, discharge and diagnosis of no yeast infection at all just symptoms!

June 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Ps you do need to balance your digestive system if you try to treat systemically so make a plan w your dr – a holistic maybe better but keep your gyno updated- take a probiotic pill instead if yogurt. Floregen-sp? Is a good one your pharmacy should have it on hand 🙂

[email protected]
    June 11, 2013 at 7:04 am

Thank you for your openess and honesty!!

June 11, 2013 at 7:05 am

I was diagnosed with BV and my physician told me to go out and buy acidophilus (a probiotic) instead of presecribing an antibiotic. To make sure it reached “that area” she advised me to insert insert the probiotic capsule directly in there! She suggested to do it before bed for about five days. You may see a bit of capsule-type discharge the next day but other than that, it was super simple and cleared it up right away! After the five days was up, I continued taking probiotics, but this time orally, and it has kept the BV from returning. I’m not sure if you’ve tried it this way, but it could be worth a shot!

June 11, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I clicked through to leave a comment about acidophilus too! A close friend was having the same troubles, and started taking those orally and she hardly ever has a problem now, its been SO helpful!

June 12, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I am so glad to hear you use acidophilus too! I have been dealing with this BV issue for three years and after going to a physical therapist for my “area” she talked to some of her colleagues and friends at a conference and suggested acidophilus. I’ve been taking it orally for a few months now, and so far so good. At first I asked my obgyn what she thought about it (I went to see her because I thought I had another infection..false alarm!), and she said she hadn’t heard of acidophilus helping or anything. I’ve been on the fence about continuing taking it lately, but it seems like I’m doing something right if I haven’t had a BV issue for months!

February 24, 2014 at 12:30 am

You can also buy acidophilus milk at any grocery store. Helps a ton with guarding against infection.

September 15, 2016 at 7:59 am

Try ALLICIN TABLETS. It’s a wonderful cure for so many bacterial and viral infections including BV and Thrush and more. Alllicin cleared up my issues in a couple days and I’ve been dealing with this for years.

Susan Goldstein
    June 11, 2013 at 7:08 am

You are like Everywoman’s BFF!!! xoxox

June 11, 2013 at 7:11 am

Now I feel like I’m not the only one with this problem. It had bothered me for years! I had used douche way too many times that it developed yeast infections so my ob-gyn advised me to stop using douche. I just use special soap to clean the area (Summer Eve’s wash). It seems to help somewhat but not 100%. Last time I had it was before I got preggie but then I’ve been taking probiotic since then so that may explain it.

June 11, 2013 at 7:13 am

I never had any issues until I had my babies. Suddenly I was filled with yeast and overrun with bacteria, and I kept passing it to my kids. They had thrush for months! Nothing would cure it, and it seemed we were on meds for months on end. The biggest & best thing that worked for me during this time was that I cut DRASTICALLY down on my sugar intake. Apparently, yeast thrives on sugar. Once I cut down on the sugar (no juice, no sugar in coffee) the yeast and thrush went away. I now do sugar in my coffee, but I’d rather have that than juice. It’s a balance.

June 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Sonia, thank you for sharing this! I’m sorry to hear about your problems, but glad to hear that you figured out a solution. You are totally right, sugar is the absolute worst thing for your body. It messes-up the chemistry/bacterial balance in your gut, too. Like yeast, many bad bacteria thrive on sugar. We’d all be so much healthier were it not for our sugar intake. It’s so hard to give-up, especially since sweets are so yummy!

June 13, 2013 at 9:38 pm

You ladies are so right about the sugar intake, it really messes with your body! After having monthly yeast infections for about 4 months I went straight to my obgyn who takes a very holistic approach to things. She told me to go on a probiotic and start eating clean. I have a good friend on the paleo diet (for weight loss, not the same issue) so I started eating along the guidelines of paleo, which is a bit extreme for this situation, but I felt I had no choice and it has really helped. I still feel some of the symptoms when I give in eat and something bad, but now that I rarely eat sugar and processed foods I see a big difference. The yeast thrives on sugar, and foods like bread which only makes matters worse. Diet is a big part of the problem and solution! Also, ginger tea works wonders. It is a super food, get ginger root from the grocery store and cut 3 slices, put into boiling water, and enjoy your tea! I’m also going to try the cranberry chews and drinking distilled water as some other readers mentioned, hopefully they work too.
        Cara-you are amazing! Thank you so much for your awesome blog and being so open and honest about these topics that are hard for women to talk about, even though they happen to so many of us. Keeping doing what you’re doing!

June 11, 2013 at 7:13 am

Love all of your posts, keep it up! My teeth are a wreck from years of vomiting due to Crohn’s Disease and my dentist and I are slowly working to fix everything, I think that I’m definitely going to start with the xylitol gum for sure…so thanks for posting on this blog and thanks to all of the readers leaving comments!

June 11, 2013 at 7:25 am

Hi Cara! I can’t believe you brought this up because I had chronic BV for 2 years!!! It was the worst thing ever and I thought I’d never get rid of it. After antibiotics failed I tried every home remedy in the book including HP douches. Nothing worked. Finally I came across boric acid treatments. Boric acid is poisonous if swallowed but is okay to use in your vagina because it is not in contact with your blood stream. I know this sounds scary but if you have chronic BV you’ll pretty much try anything. You can get boric acid online or in some pharmacies. It comes in a powder and I but it into capsules(while wearing gloves), which you can also find online. I put one capsule directly into my vagina a night for 2 weeks and guess what? It worked! I haven’t had BV for a year and a half now!!

I also recommend drinking a lot of water. Like your recommended 8 glasses a day (64 fl. oz). BV is when the bad bacteria overruns the good bacteria in the vagina. Water will help to flush out any sugar from your diet that those little bugs are feeding on in order to reproduce. I was drinking a lot of water during and after the boric acid treatment as well as taking a daily probiotic orally. Hope this helps some of you sufferers out there!!!

Becka Thraen
      June 19, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Boric acid is also the active ingredient in 20 Mule Team Borax, a common laundry additive. It comes in a green box and can be found in the laundry aisle of stores like Target, the supermarket, and even hardware stores. I’m not sure what other ingredients are in it, so it may not be safe for your nether-regions, but I do know it has TONS of great uses (add some to your dishwasher and you won’t get that weird film on your glasses!).

June 11, 2013 at 7:26 am

To prevent yeast infections, I do not sleep with undies on at night. It helps air out the area.

Becka Thraen
      June 19, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Yup – I’ve been hearing that for years. Fungi need warm, damp environments to thrive, so keeping your genitals clean and dry, which “airing out” by not wearing undies can do, is a great idea!

June 11, 2013 at 7:32 am

BV is so horrible and makes you feel so embarrassed and unclean. Even though it’s just “not enough good bacteria” — that doesn’t help you feel any better! I had BV about 2 years ago…went away and came back. Then I recently had to fight with it again for 2-3 months. Besides lots of prayers, the vH essentials BV Treatment Homeopathic Time-Release Vaginal Inserts DID work for me! Hooryah!!!! Along with taking probiotics and I use Summers Eve PH balance wash for down under. I would like to say I will never stop taking probiotics, but as soon as I start feeling I don’t need them — I’ll stop and have to come back! LOL. I love your posts and I’m glad you are discussing such a sensitive issue that some lucky women will never have to experience — but for those of us that do have to suffer through this — it’s comforting.

June 11, 2013 at 7:39 am

You’re awesome Cara!…That is very typical with woman whether they admit if or not. I have realized taking my daily vitamin and drinking plenty of water has helped with any smell/odor in the nether regions (and I read some other readers say the same thing). Water is natures liquid medicine, it flushes all those gross toxins out! And when I don’t drink enough of it I definitely can tell the difference.

June 11, 2013 at 7:56 am

I used to get Cold sores like it was my job. They are awful and hurt and are one of the ugliest most embarrasing things to carry on your face. When I was about 19 I found a chapstick that has camphor in it. As long as I diligently use that and only that chapstick, they typically stay away.
    Still, I’ll get them about once a year which is much better than once a month. So when I do get them I reach for an OTC one-time treatment as soon as I feel the tingle. It’s in a 2 pack and you can find it at walgreens (their brand is cheaper and works better) or you can find it here:
    Once you break the vial you put it ALL on the spot and it works fastest if the blisters haven’t popped yet. It’s a miracle worker!

June 11, 2013 at 9:47 am

Benzocaine (Orajel) is just a local anesthetic. What works far better is if you get a valacyclovir prescription from your doctor, as it has been clinically proven to reduce healing time. Trust me when I say I’ve tried everything – I loooove a good home remedy, and I truly thought I had a good “routine” with my cold sore home remedies, but honestly…nothing compares to taking valacyclovir. Take 2 grams by mouth at the first tingle, another 2 grams 12 hours later, and you’re done. If I catch it early enough, the cold sore won’t even form.

June 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

I had chronic cold sores too, until I started taking Lysine 500mg. It’s an amino acid supplement found at your local drugstore, used by people with herpes to prevent flare-ups. I don’t have ‘that’ herpes, just the chronic cold sores. Obviously, consult with your doctor first, but I have not had a cold sore in 4 years with one exception- I stopped my daily Lysine and got four cold sores at once. Hope this helps!

June 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm

L-Lysine is amazing. I use to get cold sores all the time and now it has been years since I regularly take the supplement. If I feel one coming on I double up twice a day till it stops. It helps retard the herpes virus.

June 11, 2013 at 10:44 am

Also- I agree, the valacyclovir is very effective for flare-ups!

June 11, 2013 at 7:57 am

LOVE this topic, I have had the same thing happen to me, but I notice its usually when I’ve had sex a lot, which doesn’t happen but every 4-5 months when the hubs is home on R&R. I imagine that has something to do with it, and from now on I will definitely try the hydrogen peroxide method. That tuna smell needs to stay in tuna fish sandwiches!! Thanks for being so open. I love your blog… and FYI, I bought some Giorgio Armani foundation, and as you said… its seriously AMAZEBALLS!!! You’re beautiful!!

June 11, 2013 at 8:04 am

I have to disagree that hydrogen peroxide is harmful. I have used it for 20+ years and never have had any side effects or problems when using it. It is one of those combined elements that is great for cleaning and is safe to use for body uses. I used it when I was on the swim team in high school to prevent me from getting swimmers ear. Just put a few drops in my ears and it killed the harmful bacteria and prevented me from having ear infections. Also it was recommended by my holistic dentist as a mouth rinse to prevent gingivitis and bad breath as it also kills bacteria in your mouth. I am a huge believer in hydrogen peroxide!

June 11, 2013 at 8:10 am

Cara you are awesome, I check my email first thing every morning for your new posts 🙂 Just a thought, any of you ladies with recurring yeast infections or BV – throw out your toys/vibrators and buy new ones to use once your infection has cleared. Also There’s a whole website dedicated to holistic remedies called Earth Clinic, the posters there *love* peroxide and apple cider vinegar for remeding tons of recurring conditions that regular docs could not cure for them. I have used peroxide to clear up ear infections in my toddler and yeast in my dogs ears (both after bath time) and have used cider vinegar to get rid of warts (drank a teaspoon a day for almost 2 weeks and that sucker fell right off!) and to help with yeast infections.

June 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm

While I will agree that peroxide has it’s time and place in medicine for both us and our pets, you should never use it in ears. It will actually cause infections because it’s H2O2 breaks down into water (H2O) and oxygen (O2). While oxygen is fine, it’s the water that is left behind that causes problems. Yeast love a warm, moist environment and water in an ear creates a wonderland for them. As a licensed vet tech for 13+ years, I can tell you that almost every pet that comes in with yeast infections in their ears has had peroxide used to clean them and then the problem gets worse and they end up in our office. If you are going to clean ears (human or pet) after swimming or bathes – which you should, use rubbing alcohol! The alcohol will not sting as long as there is no inflammation (redness) or open wounds and most importantly it will evaporate quickly and helps any water that has been trapped in the ear evaporate more quickly, therefor avoiding yeast infections. Also, you should NEVER use peroxide to clean open wounds, as it damages the white blood cells and bacteria alike. The damage to the WBC’s actually delays healing!

June 11, 2013 at 8:14 am

I have had an issue down there for a while. Went to the dr and they told me it was vaginitis and gave me a prescription and then other medication to insert as well. I have a problem with continuous discharge to the point that I have to wear liners everyday. It is so annoying! Anyone have any words of wisdom for this issue? I have been told that some women just have it more than others and there isn’t anything that can be done about it.

June 11, 2013 at 11:39 am

Discharge is normal is the amt varies from woman to woman. Unless you have pain, burning, itching, etc. I’d say don’t worry about it. It’s perfectly ok to wear pantiliners everyday though some Drs. think it predisposes you to yeast bc it keeps the moisture down there and moisture is bad.

Becka T
      June 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I get lots of discharge, too, and I agree, it is annoying! Every time I go to the bathroom, I wipe it out of my panties with a bit of TP – I can never remember to put in liners, and when I wear thongs, that’s kind of not an option. I’d say just make sure to change your liner every 4-6 hours to get rid of the moisture and start fresh so you avoid growing any yeast or bacteria down there. Also, if you’re willing to buy more panties or do more laundry, wear a different pair of underwear at night than you do during the day. It definitely helps me feel more fresh. Plus, I shower at night, and who wants to put dirty undies on a clean cooch?!

June 11, 2013 at 8:23 am

My sister is REALLY in to natural remedies (she’s graduating from herbal medicine school in a few weeks) and had a similar problem. I think I remember her saying she douched with yogurt to let the probiotics do there thing. Might work!

June 11, 2013 at 8:36 am

Never use scented tampons or pads ever!! So bad for you! it would be like spraying perfume up your wooha! Always use unscented tampons and pads!

June 11, 2013 at 10:02 am

Scented pads and tampons are the worst. When I was young and before I knew better, I used scented pads once. After that one box, every time my period came, it had that artificial fragrance smell. My body absorbed the scent! It only went away after a year or so after using unscented products.

June 12, 2013 at 10:41 am

i wish they wouldnt even make scented tampons & pads theyre so awful for you…

June 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I know! I’ve bought them by accident a few times because I didn’t see it written on the box. Then I was too cheap to throw them out. Bad idea because not too long after that I did end up with an infection.

• Becka T
            June 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I feel like they also make any odor you have down there more noticeable. It’s like spraying perfume in a stinky bathroom instead of turning on the fan or opening the window. A bad smell plus a good smell equals a worse smell.

June 11, 2013 at 8:48 am

I love this post and how candid you are! I am extremely prone to UTI’s but I’ve found that putting two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in some water and drinking it every single morning has helped immensely. I haven’t had one since I started doing this about a year back – that is HUGE for me because I used to get about one every two months or so.

June 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I agree with apple cider vinegar. I would get yeast infections every month. Once I started taking 2 tablespoons every morning in a large glass of water, my yeast infections stopped.

June 12, 2013 at 3:40 pm

THANK YOU ladies! I am a chronic sufferer of both UTIs AND yeast… actually dealing with both right now and have a Dr.’s appt tomorrow. I will have to try this out.

July 16, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I thought that I was a “chronic UTI sufferer” too and it turned out that I have something called Interstitial Cystitis. It super sucks but make sure to ask your doctor about it in case what you’re suffering from aren’t UTIs since going on the proper medication and avoiding certain foods can really help with the symptoms!

June 11, 2013 at 9:08 am

You’re amazing!!!!!! Thank you for being you!!

June 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

Tea tree oil suppositories from whole foods are also great to clear up any problems there 🙂 put one in at night before bed and try not to touch the pee hole because it will burn a bit and it will clear everything up as naturally as possible 🙂

June 11, 2013 at 9:30 am

Love this! Why should it be so taboo to talk about what’s natural and the problems that arise from that? It’s just like breastfeeding. People are uncomfortable talking about it, because it deals with a part of our body that has been sexualized. LAME!
    I don’t know if my story will help anyone, but I’ll put it out there. If you’re dealing with heavy, HEAVY periods ask about Depo Provera. One of the awesome side effects is that it stops periods. Unfortunately for me, it wasn’t ketchup, but the real thing, and at such a young age! I went for years with doctors not knowing why my periods would go for more than 40 days, and stop for only 2. I’d soak through everything and 3 layers of clothes. I started wearing black everywhere I went to hide it. I was put on so many medications including birth control at the young age of 11.
    It wasn’t until I was hospitalized at age 14 that they found I had 2 bleeding disorders. I was on my death bed from the loss of blood. My hemoglobin level was 4.6 (extreme anemia) from all of the blood loss. I needed blood transfusions.
    My friends at the time just giggled and made fun of me mostly, because at that age, most of them hadn’t even started their periods. It was a cruel and rough time, and I had anemia more than I didn’t growing up. But when I was 18, a wonderful doctor suggested Depo. It has LITERALLY been a life saver. Depo is a birth control, and of course with birth control comes a certain stigma. It made me mad that the nurses administering it would ask me if I like it better than other birth control… blah blah.. assuming I was sexually active. I hated that since I’m a Christian and wasn’t sexually active until I was married. But it’s all been worth it.
    This got long… but the point is, if anyone reading this is dealing with heavy periods that you can’t get under control, ask your doctor about Depo!
    Thank you for being open and honest Cara! Things like this shouldn’t be embarrassing to talk about. It’s part of life, and needs to be understood better.

June 11, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hey! Just a heads up, I was on Depo for years for the very same reason — heavy period and migraines if I wasn’t on anything. There have been a lot of studies done on the link to bone density loss and it eating away at the calcium in your bones. Just be sure you take calcium or maybe even osteo-bioflex or something for bone health, too! I hate that so many things that help one area end up counteracting another. 🙂

June 11, 2013 at 9:37 am

I’ve never had any problems with hydrogen peroxide either. I have used it for many things for my body. I have put it in my ears to help the wax build up and to prevent colds and flu. It has been great! I’m glad it’s working for you Cara. I love using natural remedies, is a great website that has holistic and alternative remedies.

June 11, 2013 at 10:11 am

I am one that seems prone to infections as well, I take AZO Yeast tablet daily and it prevents them in the first place….wonderful. When I start to feel symptoms coming on again (usually cuz I didn’t take it for about a month) I just take about 3 at a time 1-2 times a day for about 2-3 days, then resume the 1 a day. Love the honesty Cara 🙂

Eileen D.
    June 11, 2013 at 10:23 am

You are such a generous and open person. I can’t help but completely adore you.

June 11, 2013 at 11:08 am

I think I had this exact problem once and had to go to the doc for treatment. I beleive it was caused from using a different brand of tampons. I bought something other than my usual brand and developed the smell. My doc said it could be have been caused by the different tampons so I threw them out, went back to my regular brand and never had the problem again. This was the only problem Ive ever had down there, no yeast infetions, UTIs etc.

June 11, 2013 at 11:18 am

You are so awesome for sharing…i am prone to getting them and have tried so much, constantly going to doctor and spending $65.00 a visit, it def will try thank you 🙂

June 11, 2013 at 11:33 am

I hope everyone knows that ob/gyn proffessionals discourage women wearing thong panties… that thin strip of fabric moves from your bottom speading bacteria.

June 11, 2013 at 11:34 am

I love you! And I am so glad I found your web site xoxoxo

June 11, 2013 at 11:44 am

Yogurt!! No matter what is wrong with the lady parts, yogurt seems to fix it up. I’ve also had luck with apple cider vinegar sitzbaths (ie, me sitting in the sink looking ridiculous) and, weirdly enough, coconut oil.

June 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

I’m so glad you brought this up because I have become somewhat of an expert on this topic and would love to share what I have learned/tried.

The key thing to understand about keeping our lady parts happy is that they’re all about the right Ph. Normal vaginal Ph is slightly acidic (3.8 to 4.5). If the Ph drops lower and becomes too acidic you become succeptuble to an yeast infection, if it gets higher (too alkaline) you become succeptible to BV.

There is a 3rd possibility (what I had) which is unknown to most practitioners and only is becoming recognized in recent years. A few years ago, I kept feeling like something was off down there, something that looked A LOT like an yeast infection (pain, burning, discharge, etc.). Yet when I went to the gyno they’d tell me my cultures look fine (even though they could see the redness/irritation). OR they’d tell me I have yeast and give me meds that didn’t help at all, and actually seemed to make things worse. I’d go back every month, esp right before my period, until I felt like I was losing my mind!!!

Finally they referred me to a gyno who specialized in vaginal infections. She took one look and said “yup, cytolytic vaginosis” and handed me a few journal articles. Cytolytic vaginosis occurs when the “good bacteria” (i.e lactobacilli) overgrow, produce too much lactic acid, causing the Ph to drop way too low (3.5 or less). Your vaginal walls don’t appreciate being bathed in acid so that causes the irritation, pain, and death of epithelial cells. Unfortunately, under the microscope the dead epithelial cells look A LOT like yeast. And the symptoms are almost identical. So the condition is insanely-commonly mistaken with yeast. Of course, treatments for yeast tend to encourage lactobacilli growth (bc they’re viewed as the good guys) which as you can see by now would only make cytolytic vaginosis WORSE. In short, if you have yeast-like symptoms, but yeast meds don’t help, and if your sysmptoms get especially bad right before your period, you should read up on this condition. The ONLY thing I have found works for cytolytic vaginosis is douching with a simple baking soda solution which raises the Ph (but don’t overdo it because if you get too alkaline you might get BV!). Works like a charm!

If you DO have a real yeast infection, try Gentian Violet (extract of violet flower, available for $2 at amazon). The specialist who finally diagnosed me properly recommended it over the traditional yeast meds so while it is a “natural” remedy (which I am always suspicious about) it was prescribed to me by a trained MD. Traditional yeast meds would often prove “too strong” for me — they’d kill the yeast for sure but they’d also encourage insane overgrowth of lactobacilli, giving me cytolytic vaginosis! Gentian Violet gives INSTANT relief and actually helps me with both yeast and cytolytic vaginosis. One way to use it is to dip a q-tip and insert it and swish it around to coat your inside, as well as rub on the outside. Be careful and use pantiliners bc it’s insanely purple and nothing washes it off. The other way to use it is to dilute a few drops in water and douche with the solution. I use the former when sympoms are strong, and the latter when I just have a hint of something going on. The only thing gentian violet doesn’t seem to help with is BV. Then again I’ve only had BV a few times ever (bc as you can tell by now, my “natural state” tends towards the acidic side, and BV tends to happen when you’re too alkaline).

For BV, as Cara said, hydrogen peroxide helps (the oxygen “suffocates” the bacteria) and it’s possible yogurt would help too (that would also help with yeast) bc lactobacilli is the enemy of both BV and yeast. I find that eating yogurt works well for me, though you can also soak a clean tampon in some (room temperature!) yogurt and insert that for a few hours.

Ok that about covers it. Feel free to ask me anything bc after years of struggle I finally have things under control and would be happy to help others achieve the same balance.

June 13, 2013 at 6:54 am

Hi Shefeline,

Do you test your own PH balance- and if so what do you use? I have been reading up on doing a at home PH testing and its says The ideal pH level is about 7.35 and anything higher is too high. Anything lower than 6.4 requires immediate attention. But you mention Normal vaginal Ph is slightly acidic (3.8 to 4.5).

Can you expand on this?

Thanks so much!

June 16, 2013 at 1:04 pm

The normal pH value for your blood is 7.35-7.45, so if you’re testing your blood that would be normal.

June 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Thank YOU for providing this scientifically based information! I had no idea that HP could be used for BV. Super cool! I’m horribly allergic to Flagyl (which is what is normally prescribed for BV) so I always have to use the Clindamycin creams (also a prescription). I’ve heard from friends that sometimes the Clindamycin cream is the only thing that works for them, and not the oral antibiotic. SO, that would be my additional suggestion to anyone that hasn’t had success with oral antibiotics. The cream isn’t nearly as convenient but it works. Also, (TMI I know) it’s imperative that women ensure that all toys in the bedroom are sanitized with an antibacterial wash immediately before and after each use and stored in a Ziploc bag (or something to keep the dust off). Toys are a huge culprit. Oh, and big kudos to you for sharing this! You rock!

June 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Oh man, I can’t relate to the period problem, but I’ve seen it happen to some girls and I always give them a tap on the shoulder and let them know. : (

June 11, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Peroxide? Who knew!

Thanks for sharing. I get these fairly often myself.

June 11, 2013 at 12:30 pm

This post came at such an appropriate time for me! I just finished a round of antibiotics after having a nagging infection for 6 months because I didn’t have health insurance to go to the doctor. I’m not a fan of medicine anyway so I read up and tried every homeopathic remedy under the sun. Some of them helped get rid of the symptoms for awhile, but nothing killed off the bacteria completely until I took the antibiotics for a week. I think it’s important to make sure you’re keeping up with your treatment – whatever it may be – for long enough to get rid of ALL the bacteria. Sometimes you kill off a little of it but there’s still enough there to reproduce and before you know it you’re struck with another bunch of it.

All that being said, some of the things I read about and tried before going the antibiotic route are:

1. A garlic clove, inserted directly. This seemed to help the most of anything, because it’s known to have antibacterial properties.

2. I followed up the garlic with PLAIN yogurt, again inserted directly. This is supposed to help replace the good bacteria that got killed off. It has to be plain though, and honestly even with that I worry that the sugar in it might cause a yeast infection (I didn’t personally have that happen, but you never know).

3. After all this, I would soak in a bath of epsom salts and a little tea tree oil. This made me feel fresh and after steps 1-3 things seemed to be a little better, but as I said it didn’t kill all the bacteria and the infection would always come back.

4. I read about (and tried) the peroxide method as well, but I felt a little iffy about it. It felt like a harsh substance to be putting down there, but I did read that it helped many people and I know when I was young Mom always used it on our scrapes to kill bacteria.

5. Acidophilus supplements. If I’d had the above comments to read sooner, I would have known to try inserting this, but instead I was taking them orally every day. Didn’t seem to help for me.

6. Unsweetened pure cranberry juice, known to help with your urinary tract. I didn’t notice a difference, but I figured it couldn’t hurt.

I guess my theory here is that sucking it up and taking the antibiotics seemed to really clear it up, but in the future if I feel that it may be coming back I’d try some of the above methods to attack it before it gets out of control again. Sorry this is so long, but I hope these ideas help someone else because I know how absolutely MISERABLE it is!!

Cheryl Bryant-Rushing
    June 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Excellent info, Cara. Thank you very much. Being a girl is a lot of personal stuff and having a girlfriend you can talk about them to is important. Not everyone has, so posts like these are helpful and loving. Thanks for strutting your stuff!

June 11, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hi girls! i have read all of your comments, and i agree that the stuff which are good for someone, no always works in everybody!! I had the same problem for many years…in fact, every year i had 4 or 5 infections, and the only thing which worked for me, was to quit taking pil…that is, i was taking it for 15 years, and when i stopped taking, my problem stopped as well…
    I value very much all your posts, because always is good having some references from other people.. and no always the natural remedies are so good!!! but of course, each person is a world!!!
    Thank you to all of you to share something as personal as this stuff!!!

June 11, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Just a word of caution when using Xylitol – it’s actually poisonous enough to dogs that it can be fatal. Make sure you keep your puppy far away!

June 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I never post here, although I have been a long time follower and absolutely LOVE your blog! I am very prone to UTIs (even though I do all the things necessary to prevent them), and I read a few years ago that dissolving Alka-Seltzer in water and drinking it at the FIRST sign of a UTI will clear it up right away. It honestly works- the trick is you have to do it when you first feel symptoms, which if you are prone to them, you know right away! Now I keep a packet with me in my purse at all times, which saves me lots of pain and trips to the doctor for antibiotics (which I avoid at all costs). I guess it has something to do with changing the pH in your body so the bacteria that causes the UTI can no longer grow. I have recommended it to friends who say it works, too.

June 12, 2013 at 11:49 am

I use Alka Seltzer Gold, has to be the Gold, according to my doctor. He says that it helps to alkalinize the body. I get chronic kidney infections due to persistent Lyme Disease and drinking this twice a day has helped. I’m glad to hear that someone else has had success with it too 🙂

Cristee Frankos Trowbridge
    June 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I love your TMI. If you can’t TMI with your ladies who can you TMI with? 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

June 11, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Okay, I made a mistake and posted on the wrong topic. The same thing happened to me a year ago and the doctor said it could have been because I had started going to the gym and was in sweaty clothes too long, plus your bacteria down there changes. So I take a probiotic, Culturelle, and a chewable acidophilus from The Vitamin Shop, and it cleared everything up and it’s been a year. Hope this helps!

Ruth D
    June 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Sounds like you have an imbalanced system which tends to acidosis. To balance yourself out and stop getting UTIs which can progress to kidney infections if not caught early enough, you want to eat a little more alkaline. The simplest way is to drink water with a slice of lemon or some lemon juice in it at least once a day. Although I don’t know your diet, sugar is most likely the culprit. Even natural sugars like those in fruits and veggies can be a problem. Try to limit your white sugar and white bread also.

btw, someone earlier suggested unsweetened cranberry juice. Some berries like cranberries and blueberries are alkaline and another excellent way to combat acidosis. You can also get blueberry enzyme pills at natural food stores.

Thanks so much for your frankness. I think this is a problem that is common to women but not talked about often enough. I have a hereditary kidney disease, PKD, and am a kidney transplant recipient so I do know quite a bit about this. None of it’s magic but it’s all based in the same science.

June 11, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Cara, thank you for being so great to talk about the “tmi” issues. It always help when we drop the fear and shame and share our experiences. Just to add a remedy to try before resorting to prescriptions, etc., I’d like to add Grapefruit Seed Extract(GSE). This is wonderful to use if you feel a sore throat or similar ailment coming on. Add about 12-15 drops in a small glass of orange juice. Take this 3 times a day for 1-2 days, then about once a day for the next few days and you should be fine. It has helped me and my family thru tonsillitis, sore throat, ear problems. Make sure you get Grapefruit Seed Extract and NOT Grape Seed Extract. They are totally different. Also, I just recently had a horrible case of dermatitis on my hands and used Neem Cream and my hands cleared in two days!!! Love your blog!!

June 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Grapefruit seed extract is also awesome when you are dealing with candida issues on top of or instead of the BV!!

Olga Iris
    June 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Very helpful post, this is info should be put outthere as it might benefit more people. Here’s mi natural remedy: half white vinegar, half hydrogen peroxide solution to soak your nails in, followed with extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic soak it kills nail fungus really fast.

Ana G
    June 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Cara, you are amazing. Seriously, thank you for sharing. I was scouring the internet just last week because I’m now suffering from recurring yeast infections whereas before I’d only get 1 every few years. The information that’s out there is overwhelming, and we all have to pick what we feel will work for us and/or consult our doctors, of course. But, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share what you discovered and worked for you :-). We are not alone ladies!

June 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Thank you SO MUCH!!!! I am going to visit my boyfriend in a few weeks and have been DREADING not having the BV cleared up!

June 11, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Ladies….don’t go to far, just open your refrigerator and get some YOGURT. Yes! Yogurt! Apply some yogurt directly to the area and wear some pantiliners for a few days.

Angel Martini
    June 11, 2013 at 6:01 pm

You should try oil pulling. Not necessarily for yeast infections but its an amazing homeopathic remedy for lots of things. Look it up, it’s pretty incredible. Not enough people are talking about it!

June 14, 2013 at 12:15 am

I’ve thought about trying oil pulling, but I don’t know if I could keep the oil in my mouth that long! Angel Martini, would you please share some of the benefits of oil pulling and any tips that would be helpful to a beginner?

June 21, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I tried it for a little while. I think the trick is to start with only a few minutes, then work your way up. I think I started at 10-15 minutes. I used organic coconut oil, but you could try any good quality, preferably organic oil. It was also kind of hard at first because it makes you want to gag and you can’t swallow. Remember to spit into the trash, not down the sink, it’s really bad for water sanitation. Anyway, it’s originally an Aryuvedic practice, google it and you should find some good info. I think it’s especially helpful for people who have issues with their gums and teeth, because those things can effect the health of your entire body.

Rebecca Goebel
    June 11, 2013 at 7:01 pm

This is AWESOME…who else would post this kinda stuff on beauty blog?! Most of us gals have had to deal with this sort of thing at least once in our lifetime so why is everyone so scared to talk about it?! You are hilarious an so down to earth and Im a huge fan. Keep it up lil lady

[email protected]
    June 11, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Cara I love all of it! I recently found you and have shared with all my friends. Please keep it coming. Even the TMI! THESE ARE SECRETS THAT NEED TO BE SHATED!!! XOXO

June 11, 2013 at 8:17 pm

How great are you? I love that you are so open and can bring awareness to women who might not otherwise know. Kudos!
    P.s. I am a dental student and I completely agree with the Xylitol comments above, it is the next big thing in dentistry and cavity prevention.

June 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I am reeaaally happy you shared this!! Thank you!

June 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

You owe it to yourself to read “Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement and Reproductive Health” by Toni Weschler. You will learn so much about your lady bits that you didn’t know. For instance, you will learn what discharges are totally normal and actually necessary and why they are necessary.

I was on vacation years ago with a friend who shared that she has a yeast infection every month and has to treat it. I asked if it itched and burned and made her want to crawl in and rip her vajayjay out. She said no. I asked if it had a white cottage cheesy discharge and she said no. She said clear and watery and a discharge but not cottage cheesy. I asked if kinda spongy/tacky that would stretch from finger to finger if she separated her fingers. She said YES that’s the one. I explained that it is totally normal and just means she’s ovulating and that spongy tacky discharge helps transport sperm to the egg for fertilization. She was amazed that she was never taught this in school or at her doctor office and she had been needlessly treating herself for something she didn’t have. Awesome awesome book.

June 12, 2013 at 5:36 am

Hi mm,

I completely agree with your book recommendation! I bought that book before my husband and I wanted to start trying to conceive. I read it about a year ago and am now 6 months pregnant. 🙂 I used it mainly to learn about how to take my temperature and watch for ovulation, but the side benefit was that I learned a TON about my cycle/body as a woman. A great read! I’m glad you mentioned this incredibly informative book.

June 12, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Congratulations Anne. That’s awesome.

June 11, 2013 at 10:15 pm

this came at such a perfect time. i was just at the doctor this weekend and diagnosed with BV. I was so embarrassed and now i feel so muchbetter. seriously, thank you.

June 12, 2013 at 1:50 am

Ahh, the yeast infection. I remember the first time I got it, I think I was about 17, I had no clue of what was going on and completely panicked. I don’t get them that much anymore and what has helped for me is that I stopped using tampons. Yep, it’s a little inconvenient but it worked. I’ve read that tampons do their job so well that they absorb the blood but also all the moisture and that can offset all kinds of problems. I been thinking about buying the vaginal cup, but it seems so scary to use. 🙂

June 12, 2013 at 2:24 am

You’re amazing! I’ve been struggling on and off with BV for ages now and was too embarrassed to go to the doctor about it, but you have inspired me to. Thank you, I appreciate you and your blog so much and you have such a far reaching influence on me!

June 12, 2013 at 2:46 am

Fantastic… I’ve just stumbled across your blog and am hoping that TMI makes a comeback as a regular post! I found many of my issues with yeast infections and painful periods have been solved by using cloth menstrual pads and a silicone cup. A lot of people are grossed out about using reusable products, but I figure since I don’t go out buying new underpants every day (I wash them like normal people), that pads are the same. The other up side(s)? I save a lot of money and I don’t have to go down ‘that’ aisle any more!

June 12, 2013 at 3:24 am

I work in women’s health and the most prominent cause to the above conditions seems to be the over washing of our vaginas. I tell all my patients to use warm water only and to sleep undies less so our vaginas get a chance to breathe. Pretty old fashioned advice but it works, I’ve been clear for 5 years 🙂
    Thanks Cara for another amazing post, I love your work 🙂

June 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

Love your blog. Recently found it. You are amazing. Thank you for posting about this TMI topic. SO many women suffer from different types of issue with their vaginal area and are so afraid to talk about it. We need to talk about it, though, I have had issues for years and my GYN would write me off and say it was BV give me some meds and send me on my way. It would be ok for a bit then be painful. Everything hurt and being intimate with my husband hurt. I recently went to the GYN for my annual and was told I could have Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, which is a chronic condition and can usually be attributed to complications from STIs, but not always. It can cause major issues in the reproductive organs and fertility problems (I am in the process of going through more tests to confirm exactly what it is). I guess what I am saying is don’t be afraid to talk to your provider if you are concerned that it might be more than just a run of the mill yeast infection or you are having chronic issues that refuse to clear up whether it be from home remedies, prescriptions, or otc meds.

June 12, 2013 at 10:08 am

Your doctor needs to treat your husband! I had bv on and off for a year when I finally sought a second opinion this doctor said you can give it to your hubs and then you just pass it back and fourth. Until you are both treated you’ll keep getting it. Hope that helps. 😉

June 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

i was just thinking the same thing… glad someone said it 🙂

June 13, 2013 at 8:06 am

I’m stumped on this one…I read different things, and my doctor told me men DON’T get it. Now I don’t know what to believe.

Becka T
        June 19, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I don’t know anything about BV specifically, but I do know that some STDs show symptoms in women and not men, so men can have them and not know it unless they get tested.

June 12, 2013 at 10:49 am

I LOVE YOU! This post could not have come at a more perfect time! Can’t wait to get home and try this! THANK YOU!
    Cara you’re the BEST blogger EVER!

June 12, 2013 at 10:55 am

There is something now you can get at the drugstore called VH essentials. It’s all natural tablets you can insert for 6 days in a row. All symptoms are totally gone by day two tho! They also have supplements that you can take orally to complement the treatment and I found that those work very well too!!

June 12, 2013 at 11:51 am

Thank you Cara!!! We all need to share info and look out for each other as ladies!
    My tip is that Tea Tree Oil is awesome for breakouts. Clears them up within a day or so, even the worst ones!

June 12, 2013 at 3:02 pm

So here I was, drinking a beer, reading your post, when I saw the word “undercarriage” and I thought…Cara…really are you going there? And after I read the post, I thought awesome she went there! Good job speaking out about something I am sure many of us ladies have had from time to time. Love your blog and your openness with your followers!

June 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I’m assuming most of the ladies here posting about their issues are not on the pill?
    If you are on the pill for a long time it can cause some random infections. I stopped taking it after having an ordeal at the doctor recently with b.v. in addition to a non-specific infection. This kind of stuff makes me so self-conscious so it’s comforting to hear that other people go through it too! But I hope everyone gets their undercarriages in order.

My favorite home remedy is to drink 1-2 tablespoons of organic unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, sometimes with a little old fashioned molasses, in a cup of water. It helps with so many things! Indigestion, heartburn, nausea, allergies, breakouts, colds, sore throats, etc. Molasses is supposed to help heal cysts so I drink it if I have one of those horrible cystic pimples, which are back since I got off the pill. I miss my ‘ortho-tricyclen’ skin. My skin is so oily now. 🙁

June 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm

You might want to look into something called Candida. One of the symptoms is recurring yeast infections. Sugars of any kind exacerbate the problem. Just a thought, not saying that’s it, but it’s worth looking into.

Becka T
      June 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Candida is the yeast in yeast infections. The scientific name for a yeast infection is candidiasis, and you can actually get it in your mouth, too, but there it’s usually called thrush.

June 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Oh my lord. That is the worst. I dealt with it 2 years ago and I agree, I felt so UNCLEAN. It didn’t matter how many times I showered, it just came right back. Mine attacked because I was using my boyfriend’s super anti-bacterial soap all over when I showered at his place :/ and once it somehow became a lube (TMI I KNOW). I even bought an e-book on it lol. I did get an antibiotic but couldn’t finish it because it was so strong by the third pill I was gagging and vomiting immediately after it. I’ve never really gone to a conventional doctor because my mom is into naturopathy, so I have no idea why I decided that was the greatest time to start?!? Anyway, I was on birth control and in a monogamous relationship (ie no condoms). Both are no bueno for the acidity in your lady parts.

Your post is awesome timing as well, because after my 2-year break I recently felt “off” down-there so I broke out my handy dandy BV artillery lol. Here’s what I did to cure it AND why (2 years BV-free is pretty cure-worthy to me, it only came back bc I got sick on vacation in a beautiful third world country with third world water problems). I’m prob going to hijack this comments list with a super long post because I KNOW how desperate we can feel when it is full-blown lol.

1) Femdophilus probiotics by Jarrow, keep them in the fridge!. Contains the same strains of bacteria (lactobacillus reuteri and l rhamnosis) and, more importantly the same quantity, as a scientific study done on BV that successfully cured women of BV. We all have bacteria down there, but BV happens when one of the anaerobic bacteria like gardnerella colonizes (becomes dominant). Gardnerella is responsible for that characteristic fishy smell. To make this as easy to understand as possible, gardnerella forms a biofilm on your skin cells that can be about half as deep as a strand of hair (consider how small bacteria are) which blocks the good, aerobic bacteria and makes it impossible for the good bacteria to adhere to your skin. L reuteri and L rhamnosis were the only good bugs that showed success at breaking down the gardnerella biofilm. I took femdophilus both orally and inserted one up “there” lol. I try to remember to take femdophilus once a week as maintenance and take a probiotic designed for vaginal health from garden of life. It’s expensive and has to be refrigerated, but come on ladies–what would you pay to get rid of that smell lol?!? I also take a vaginal femdophilus a few days before I expect period to start and the day after it ends (bring the acidity back up after menstrual flow makes it more alkaline).

2) Hydrogen peroxide douche starting with 1/4 cup H202 to 2 cups distilled water, and work your way up. I never went past 75% peroxide . Aerobic bacteria (the good bacteria) create hydrogen peroxide, or H202, which quickly breaks down into H20 (water) and O, or oxygen. The bad bacteria are anaerobic, meaning that they die in the presence of oxygen. H202 douche is literally a bomb for bad bacteria. Hydrogen peroxide douches also make u more acidic, so I always followed them up with a vaginally-inserted femdophilus pill, both because the extra acidity helps breakdown the gel capsule AND because you want to repopulate good bacteria in case you washed any of them away with the douche.

3) Folic acid- 1000mg day along with a good B complex. Not quite sure why, perhaps because they strengthen the immune system and can help with cell turnover.

4) Calendula – as a tea, a douche, a part of another supplement. It’s a natural anti-septic

5) Tea tree oil – I didn’t use this myself directly, but it was included in a suppository I tried called Yeast Arrest by Vitannica. If you have any irritation or open cuts down there it will sting, ALWAYS use in a carrier oil.

6) Oil of oregano vcaps – I take this on a regular basis because it is anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, you name it. One a day with your meal unless you have a liver problem.

Others – don’t use any antibacterial soap down there. Just a glycerin based soap or even warm water washing only. Sleep with no underwear on! Get some air down there lol. Change out of gym clothes ASAP, stay dry down there, etc. I take 2 tbls of raw Apple cider vinegar in a cup of water every morning to balance the acid/alkaline levels in my body.

There are so many options, good luck to everyone dealing with this ridiculously self-esteem crushing issue! I’ve done mind-numbing amounts of research on this-if anyone wants more info you can definitely post and I will add.

Thanks for talking about this and letting me hijack the comments list Cara!!

June 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Great info!!!

June 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Great post. I have dealt with YIs and UTIs chronically since I was 14. Only now, over 10 years later, am I starting to get a handle on them!

Ladies, there are a ton of helpful ideas here, but it’s true that you’ll probably have to try a bunch of stuff and find what works for you. For UTIs, I take a couple of very concentrated cranberry pills daily/whenever I feel one coming on. Drinking a TON of water is integral, as well as completely giving up pop and coffee and tea. (sorry! I know people hate to hear that, and I was a huge pop/coffee drinker, but I had to decide that I valued my health and sanity more than my morning cup. And it really has been the one thing to make a huge difference.) If you’re in considerable pain and can’t get to a doctor, most grocery stores have AZO, which will be in the analgesic section. It will turn your pee orange, but I’ve felt relief in as little as 30 minutes from it.

Yeast infections are a bit trickier. I try to limit my sugar intake, but I love sweets and booze. So I make sure that I also take a strong probiotic, particularly on days where I’ve eaten sweets or drank alcohol. When I say strong, I mean stuff with 20-50 billion cultures per capsule. I get mine from Whole Foods or a natural grocer. I also cut up a clove of garlic and swallow it like a pill with a glass of water. Yeah, you smell/taste like garlic, but it’s better than the alternative.

Finally, for instant relief, I use pure aloe vera juice. This has worked better for me than yogurt, elm bark…I’ve tried it all. I either run a shallow bath with cool water, pour a cup of aloe vera and sit in it, or I simply wet a cotton ball and hold it on the area for a few minutes. I get the most relief if I have refrigerated the aloe vera–I often have a bottle in the refrigerator just in case.

Hope this helps someone! Don’t give up until you find something that works. I know how maddening these problems can be, but you CAN find something that will help!

June 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Thank you so much for this!! I have also struggled with this for a couple years and am always so self conscious about it. A lot of these comments have been really helpful as well. Thanks for sharing 🙂

June 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Thanks so much for bringing this up I went through this about 6 months ago and was quite embarrassed about it I had no idea it was so common I had never heard it before my gyno told me I had it! Thanks for the tips for getting rid of it!

June 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Here is my TMI tip… Ladies, if you do not have a Diva Cup (or Moon Cup), get thee to a health store or Amazon asap!! I have been using a menstrual cup instead of bleached perfumed tampons/pads for about a year and my periods no longer make me feel miserable and gross. One will last you up to five years, costs $30 and keeps chemicals out of your body and the landfill. It is the most wonderful thing you will ever buy for yourself. Seriously.

June 13, 2013 at 9:58 pm

You know when I drink coffee I get yeast infections and UTI’s. Coffee is known to mess up your hormones…in SOME people, Doctor Oz has said it. I believe in probiotics and yeast does thrive on sugar. I do believe that Homeopathic medicine it is amazing and Nevada has some of the best Homeopathic doctors out there! Thanx for this post!

June 14, 2013 at 2:31 am

I used to get a lot of yeast infections while I was on the pill. Since I quit taking hormones, I no longer have any issues with yeast infections, so I guess there must have been a connection. Plain yoghurt used to be a great relief, take it right out ouf the fridge it’s really soothing and it should make the yeast infection go away after a couple of days.

June 14, 2013 at 3:41 am

I love it that you are talking about this! Everybody needs a big sister to share life with or we all start from scratch learning things. Since we are talking about feminine care, have any of you ever tried a menstrual cup? I switched from tampons to that and I LOVE it. I use a Diva Cup but there are a number of brands available. I can forget I’m on my period when I use it although it is messy to empty. Super economical though. One cup properly cared for will last for years.

Stacie Towe
    June 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm

You. Are. Awesome. 🙂

June 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Seriously, Cara…your blog is great and I love the openness of this post. I came here looking for the best waterproof eyeliner and found a sisterhood of women. Very cool. Thanks girl!

June 18, 2013 at 3:15 pm

You know I thought I was “gaga” over your blog before, but now it’s official! It’s so nice to be able to read and relate! I love that you blog about real issues women face opposed to stuff that the everyday woman doesn’t have the time or energy or skill to pull off! You deserve all the awards you’ve been getting. Seriously, you’re great! Thank you!

June 19, 2013 at 8:18 am

Hello Cara!
    I am a lurker on your blog (which I LOVE) every so often. I found your blog via pinterest. Anyway, your bravery talking about this topic has inspired me to also share my story. I am a frequent flyer when it comes to BV. I first got it about two years ago during a very stressful time in my life, and have been getting it recurrently about every 1-3 months. The longest I’ve gone without it was 6 months. I just wanted to tell people what I’ve seen that triggers it and what I’ve used because maybe my knowledge will also help others. By the way, no one in my circle of friends or family has ever gotten this, even though the statistics are surprisingly high.

First the triggers:
    I’ve noticed it comes halfway through my cycle (hormonal changes), when I’m stressed, and/or drinking a lot of caffeine (due to being stressed and getting no sleep), using tampons, using soap/lotion/detergent that is not hypoallergenic.

I’ve never had issues with ANY of the above until I got my first batch of BV that keeps coming back. I’ve spent so much $ going back to the doctors (because I like to get cultured after I get treated to KNOW that it is gone) only to have it come back.

I’ve used antibiotics which do work (it’s the only thing that provides an actual cure for me)…it’s just that it comes back a couple of months later.

I’ve tried prebiotic vagisil wash, VH essentials homeopathic treatment, yogurt down there, drinking cranberry juice, etc, none of these ever cured me.

There are a few things that have helped as a preventative that I wanted to share. The #1 thing that works for me is Femdophilous probiotic. It has to be always refridgerated even during shipping, otherwise no results. I’ve tried lots of probiotics like rephresh pro-b, acidophilous chews, ultimate flora….I’ve only had success with femdophilous. It’s the only thing that provides me with relief if I feel one coming on, sometimes I can prevent it if I’m lucky.

HP douche makes me nervous to try because I’ve read that douching can push the bacteria into your upper genital tract causing pelvic inflammatory disease. If it worked for you that’s great! I’m envious!

Thanks for your time

Rafika BAIZ
    June 25, 2013 at 1:31 am

Hi Cara, I love your blog and I wanted to thank you A LOT for the HP tip, I have tried every possible prescription but nothing seemed to work untill a couple of days ago when I came across your post. Your blog has saved my marriage life (my husband is a very handsome man who’s always ready for it but I keep turning him down because of my problem :s), and my eyebrows never looked so good. Thanks a million 🙂

June 26, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Does anyone know if this treatment is safe with Mirena?

July 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I used to get horrible BV every time I didn’t pee immediately after sex.. buzzkill sometimes but haven’t gotten it since

July 3, 2013 at 8:41 am

oh cara!!! i don’t have any home remedies to share, but i just discovered your blog an hour or two ago via the noshery, and i’ve been glued to my computer reading your posts and taking notes on hair and makeup tips i just HAVE to try… and then, THEN! i find this post!!! this is why i love the blogging community… it’s so open and girl-talk-friendly 🙂 . i’ve had my own issues with BV for probably longer than i should admit now… but i haven’t made it to a doctor for some personal reasons… and i was starting to get desperate…… and now i cross paths with this home cure! i am going to try this the SECOND i get home today!

i just wanted to say THANKS… it sounds silly that i never thought of researching home cures before, but i love that your blog and post popped into my life just at the point when i was thinking, “i can’t take this anymore!” definitely don’t mind the TMI when it’s really just helpful 🙂 and creates a kind of… “safe space” for talking about this stuff.

so thanks again, adding your blog to my feedly now! can’t wait to try the sleep hair trick 🙂 .

August 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

I was totally going to recommend the HP douche and then voila!!! YES THIS TOTALLY WORKS. Good post 🙂

October 12, 2013 at 6:40 am

BV has become a rotating door in my life for the past 6 (yes, SIX! Years.) it’s gotten to the point I felt the antibiotics were useless bc in 6-12 weeks it comes back. I’ve found an apple cider vinegar bath once a week (soak at least 20 minutes in 2 cups of ACV mixed with the water.) helps keep the smell at bay if done weekly. But, who wants to explain why the bathroom smells like vinegar! bc somebody I *know* (you) tried the HP douche and lived, yesterday I decided to give it a whirl. Immediate discharge/smell relief! But only time will tell.
    Also, what your man uses to bathe/groom with makes a difference when you’re sexually active…make sure the P is free of soap/lotion residue!

February 12, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Always wash your underwear in hot water when you have a yeast infection. Makes a big difference. Warm water isn’t good enough, it needs to be hot water. Wear cotton panties only during an infection and change your panties several times a day as necessary and keep your nether regions clean and dry. I use Summer’s Eve for Sensitive skin feminine wash. It’s the only thing that doesn’t irritate me and I recommend gently washing one or more times throughout the day to help wash away the itchy yeast. Wash used towels in hot water also. Gently pat dry and steer clear of sugary foods, including fruit juices. If I give in to a sugary craving I suffer! Definitely not worth it. Eat simply during this time.

February 26, 2014 at 1:36 am

Also, if you ever apply yogurt to your private parts, make sure it is PLAIN non-flavored only!

March 10, 2015 at 11:46 pm

I know I’m a year late on this but I happened upon it for a reason, was googling “cytolytic vaginosis and cloth pads”. I’ve been suffering from undiagnosed cytolytic vaginosis since at least age 23. I’m now almost 40. I diagnosed myself a year ago after maddening Google searches for “itching starts right after ovulation and disappears when period starts”. Prior to me figuring it out my doctor had me on a monthly dose of diflucan for yeasties….which wasn’t even the problem! I eventually became severely allergic to the diflucan to the point where had I not figured out the allergy I may have had an anaphylactic reaction. My tongue and throat would swell and my gums and lips would get sores. Never mind that the diflucan did NOTHING for the burning itch in my vag! But at my wits end I saw my doctor again and he prescribed boric acid suppositories. This scared me. I use this stuff to kill ants. So I desperately started googling for an answer and I found one! Luckily I never used the boric acid and the following have made a huge difference for me:
    1. Baking soda douches and baths. I generally do one right after my period ends and when I think I’ve ovulated. Even more if “the itch” is coming on. In pure desperation I’ve made a paste out of it and smeared it on my vaj for a few seconds then rinsed.
    2. “Pre-seed” lube. No joke this lube works wonders and I’ve used it like yeast infection cream (an applicator full nightly) when I’ve got the symptoms. Also a good lube for sex. It balances your pH as it is supposed to help conception, but my tubes are ties and I love this stuff. It is expensive though $24/tube.
    3. Washing after exercise & sex as soon as possible.
    4. Staying away from tight pants
    5. Letting it breathe down there at night. Go commando while you sleep.
    6. Staying away from Greek yogurt. Since the CV is an overgrowth of good bacteria I’m guessing too much Greek yogurt might hurt more than help.

I’ve noticed that I’m getting them less frequently and I can get them under control if they do come on.

So next up is going green with my period products. Cloth pads and menstrual cups. My period cramps have been horrid and I’m hoping this helps. Maybe it will help with the CV too!

September 15, 2016 at 8:06 am

Try ALLICIN TABLETS. Google ALLICIN and learn that it is natures antibiotic. After years of antibiotics BV, then meds for Yeast, then the cycle continued. Have your doc test you for Strep B bacteria too because I had it so bad I had ULCERS which then was tested for Herpes. Negative for that. I was fed up because the doctors just didn’t know what was causing my symptoms. I then put 2 and 2 together and realized it was an overgrowth of Strep B bacteria that caused these issues. I did not want to continue taking antibiotics and so I researched natural remedies. ALLICIN came up on many websites. It’s a wonderful cure for so many bacterial and viral infections including BV and Thrush and more. Alllicin cleared up my issues in a couple days! I called my doctor to inform her and now more women can be helped and I’m not a doctor! Isn’t it frustrating that sometimes we can know more than the medical teams we go see? Amazon has Allicin. I got ALLIMAX brand and took 5 tablets 2 times a day for a few days then dropped to 5 and then for maintenance I’ll take one except for after my period. I’ll go up to 5 since the PH is thrown off at that time of the month which seems to cause all the issues. Hope this info helps you gals. It’s been a frustrating journey for me but I’m cured now.