Beauty Basics Brow School Makeup Popular

Brow School Begins today.

In high school when I got bored (which was often) I would always doodle. Sometimes I would doodle my future signature (Caralyn Pitt, of course). Sometimes I would doodle flowers or song lyrics. But mostly I would doodle eyebrows. True story. I have notebooks filled with them. High arches, furrowed brows, thin brows, thick brows and sharp Elizabeth Taylor brows.
I use this story to help illustrate my love for that fuzz hovering over your eyes.
I can’t think of one single makeup/beauty item that is more important that eyebrows (maybe as important, but not more)
Yet, I get questions about it constantly.
I want to answer those questions. All of them. Which I decided to break into a few days.
Day one: Best Products.
Brow School. Day one: Best Products.

Tweeze: I know that there are much cheaper options than Tweezerman but none I’ve tried have even come close. They grab every hair so precisely and last FOREVER. Plus they come in really cute colors. I always get the loudest most neon color they have so they don’t get lost in my purse. I also get the mini version because they are just as good and they cost less. I have only bought these twice. The first pair I bought lasted 5 years and then I lost them (they were still in perfect condition when I did) and now I’m on my second pair.

Wax: I only use wax in between my brows and to get rid of peach fuzz around my brows. I don’t use wax for shaping. This is my personal preference just because I feel like I can be much more precise with tweezers and avoid wax mishaps. I also prefer hard wax because it’s just easier and less messy.

Trim: I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have to be this brand in particular but I bought this one and like it. You just want s pair of sharp scissors that are really small.

Fill: I really like this Ardell Angled brush because it has a little spooly on the opposite side. Two birds, one stone. Pretty much any soft haired angled brush will do though.

Filling shadow:  I choose to fill mine in with shadow instead of liner for the most part. Shadow clings to the hair instead of sitting beneath it and tends to look softer and more natural. Liners can be ok too but using the right color is SOOOOOO important. I can’t stress this enough. The quickest way for your filled brows to look fake or made up is when the color is off.  I find that the hair on your face is usually quite ashy. Meaning a gray brown rather than a red brown will look much more natural on most people (not including gingers). The other thing you need to look at is the eye shadow texture. It needs to be a harder shadow (so super creamy blend-able ones aren’t ideal) and it shouldn’t have shimmer in it. These are my favorites by hair color:

A BLONDE. For blondes who would like a subtle natural looking brow go with: MAC Eye Shadow in Omega
For blondes who want a bold brow try: MAC Eye Shadow in Charcoal Brown

B REDHEAD. For redheads who have light red hair and red eyebrow hair try: Anastasia Caramel Duo
For redheads who have dark red hair and brown eyebrows try: MAC shadow in Espresso

C BRUNETTE. For brunettes who prefer a soft natural looking brow go with: MAC Brun
For brunettes who would like a bold brow try:  MAC Brun base with MAC Stud brow liner

I’ll see you back here for class tomorrow morning, don’t be late! 🙂 Just kidding, come whenever you want. And chew all the gum you like.

May 28, 2013 at 4:14 am

After seeing Mac Brun shadow mentioned in a gazillion of your posts, I finally broke down and bought it just the other day (yes I’m brunette). Omg is all I can say! And that is why I’ll never doubt you! Looking forward to ‘class’! 🙂

May 28, 2013 at 11:42 am

I also love your little saying ‘they’re sisters, not twins!’ That had helped me relax a little and not stress over making then match perfectly. 🙂

Liza Lu
    May 28, 2013 at 4:28 am

Yay! Class with Cara 🙂 can’t wait! Eyebrows are soo important <3

May 28, 2013 at 4:43 am

I am SOOO excited about this!!!
    I may be jumping ahead here but what about if you dye your hair?
    for instance, i’m naturally a medium brunette but I dye my hair blonde.
    Would the brunette colors or blonde colors apply to me?

May 28, 2013 at 6:54 am

This is the very question I had. Medium brunette brows and dyed blonde hair.

May 28, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Love this post (and all your blog). And yes please answer the above question. Im a brunette and i dye my hair dark blonde but my eyebrows are almost black… I’m considering dyeing them lighter. could you give any advice about bleaching or tinting eyebrows?

May 28, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Would love advice on this too! I’m a brunette with dyed dark blonde hair and almost black eyebrows it always looks weird! Do I dye them or just keep super dark eyebrows? Love your blog! (HAC changed my life!)

May 29, 2013 at 2:22 am

I looooove dark brows with blonde hair personally (I’ll be touching on that a smidge tomorrow) but its all about preference. If you don’t like it no worries, class will be covering your options! 😉 (bleaching, filling with lighter powder, going thinner..)

May 28, 2013 at 4:52 am

Love the post! I was just looking at my brows thinking they needed help.

May 28, 2013 at 5:12 am

I’m sooooo excited! My fave class ever, and YES I can chew gum (I actually used to get in trouble for that LOL)!!! I’ve been working on growing my eyebrows and i think they are getting there!

May 28, 2013 at 6:00 am

I’ve never tried shadow – I’m a Kevyn Aucoin ‘The Precision Brow Pencil’ devotee! It gives you a lot of control (so you can have an elegant point at the end) and stays put All. Day. Long.

Pink Haired Princess
    May 28, 2013 at 6:26 am

Loving this! Totally agree, brows are sooo important. I didn’t used to doodle brows when bored, I’d pluck my brows! Seriously, I used to find it so therapeutic, but after 20 years of plucking, I’m keen for them too look a little….more! I’ve been growing a ‘patch’ back for two years now with little progress in order to create a more natural looking line. I find I rarely need to pluck these days because the hair just isn’t growing back. I struggle to find the correct powder colour as like you say it often leans red and my problem isn’t really sparse brows, there’s a lot of hair, but there’s just this section that I’d like to fill out that has little or no hair, so it can look fake when it’s ‘skin’ you’re shading.

May 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Have you tried those lash and brow enhancers? I hear Elizabeth Arden Prevage lash is good. I have tried Rapid Lash on my eyebrows and eyelashes, only worked on the lashes. I have rather thick brows tho. Hope this helps!!

May 28, 2013 at 7:36 am

Love this! School is so exciting now! Thank you Cara!

Kelly Stokes
    May 28, 2013 at 7:38 am

I am so excited your doing this brow school!! Eyebrows are something I am not real knowledgeable about, although I do try to keep mine somewhat cleaned up and shaded in. They def aren’t gorgeous by any means. I’ll be attending class everyday!!! ;-).

Nancy W
    May 28, 2013 at 8:27 am

Woo hoo! Can’t wait to go to class!

May 28, 2013 at 8:39 am

Thanks for the useful tips on how to shape the brows! I’m fairly new to doing my brows myself, and I looking at any tips and tricks on how to make my brows look better 🙂

kassie (@kmakesithappen)
    May 28, 2013 at 8:55 am

I love eyebrow tutorials, they’re one of my favorite because eyebrows are so important, they frame your face and seem to pull your whole makeup look together. Great post

Kim Lewis
    May 28, 2013 at 9:05 am

What if you have darker red hair but light blonde eyebrows? I think even natural redheads with darker hair still have light eyebrows.

November 25, 2014 at 10:23 am

I totally fill mine to match my hair. I hate having invisibrows and lashes. I also use jfr mascara.

Elena Nehles
    May 28, 2013 at 9:08 am

So excited about this post, I couldn’t even wait to get out of bed to read it (which is often what I do when I receive a new post of yours in my email)! One QUESTION- Any tricks in helping the growth and making them fuller than they naturally are? I’ve tried Castor Oil but I wasn’t patient enough..didn’t see much results after 2 weeks… Let us know if you have a magic recipe 🙂 Oh, and are you still doing consults? Thanks Cara!

May 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm

May 28, 2013 at 9:14 am

soooo awesome. thanks so much for the tips. i have never really tried filling them in but I am now! and im finally going to buy a tweezerman!

May 28, 2013 at 9:14 am

So glad you are doing this!!

May 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

I’m so obsessed with eyebrows, and no one understands. I have one perfect eyebrow and one that just won’t grow right 🙁

May 28, 2013 at 10:06 am

Thank you for this!! I have super blonde eyebrows, and I never used to fill them in until a few years ago and wow, what a difference it makes — especially in photos! I’m always looking for tips to make them look even better.

May 28, 2013 at 10:32 am

I am a redhead –copper– and I live and DIE by Brett Friedman’s Gingerella Powder. I am a latecomer to powders (well I started there and then veered from them but I am back!)

May 28, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hi Cara!!

Do you have a recommendation for brunettes – that you can buy at the drugstore? Mac is great, but pricy…

Thanks!! Love your blog!

July 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

A drugstore dupe for Mac Brun is the Maybelline Natural Smokes – use the outer corner color. It’s supposed to match very closely.

May 28, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’m a redhead and I swear by Anastasia perfect brow pencil in Strawburn!

May 28, 2013 at 11:12 am

Can’t wait ~ I always analyze females’ brows, including my own! I have always been a blondie with very dark brows so I will go with something Brun-like. Someone asked here recently, if you need to bring the brows in closer together, is it possible to do that w/no hair for the shadow to cling to? Will the shadow just stay put and look natural right in those spots? Can’t wait to see the next lesson!

liz @ btb
    May 28, 2013 at 11:18 am

I was an eyebrow doodler too!!

Mollie H.
    May 28, 2013 at 11:37 am

Your blog is my new addiction! I’ve spent hours browsing already this morning, and can’t wait to try all the new tips I’ve learned. Thank you! : )

Anna C
    May 28, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I used to do exactly the same in school! My old books are COVERED in doodles of eyebrows – I’m obsessed! There’s nothing worse in life than an unkept, ignored or overdone brow.

May 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I would love some drugstore dupe suggestions for those MAC shadows… I cannot get MAC where I live. My biggest issue is color.. I have a genetic predisposition to premature greying (thank you Grandpa) and my hair is colored dark auburn but my brows are very grey (actually more silver than grey) so they have no real color of their own. Instead of being able to blend the color into my own brows.. it’s providing the sole color and just always looks fake. So frustrating.

May 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I LOVE the idea of eyebrow classes! Cant wait to learn how the heck you trim brows, always having so much trouble with them. Your blog is like my first port of call for everything beauty related! Thank you

May 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Thank you for posting this! I went for years – literally – not doing a thing with my eyebrows except shaping them – no color at all and I’m blond and of course, so are my brows. It was a life changer when I started shading them a little bit. I use Smashbox’s Brown Tech Duo in Blonde – there are two shades and a wax. Seriously, I thought my mother was crazy whenever she mentioned that I should ‘do my brows’. But as usual, mom knows best. Thanks for posting and I’m looking forward to the next class. 🙂

May 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I have dark blonde/light brown hair but darker eyebrows. The brow colors for blonde look too light for my brows and the brunette shade (Brun) looks like it would make my brows much too bold for my face & hair. What do you suggest?

May 28, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I actually just took a quick look on Amazon and the MAC eye shadow in Charcoal Brown looks different – a darker brown than shown on the Nordstrom link above. This would probably work well with my brows. It was priced at $20.76. Do you know of any similar eye shadows for a budget that I could find at the local drugstore?

May 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm

New to your blog how do I find the brow school is it a video?

May 28, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Love this, you’re sooo cute! Do you recommend cork for dark haired girls?? Like black-grown hair. Thanks!

Cheeky Chat
    May 28, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I found your bit about you drawing eyebrow in notebooks funny because strangely enough my go to drawing when doodling is eyes! All my notebooks from high school and university are full of ’em. I am a redhead but my eyebrows are neither light nor dark, there more in the middle. I find a light taupe eyebrow pencil is a great colour for me! Great post! 🙂

Christi @ The Not So Perfect Mom
    May 28, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I love this! I need major help with my brows!!

May 28, 2013 at 3:34 pm

What if you have thick black eyebrows? I trim them if course, but they are very dark. As dark as my hair! I don’t think I could still fill them in with brown, even if it is dark. Can I?

Also, how do I shape my eyebrows better when there isn’t any hair in the area I’m shaping..? It won’t look natural at all. You’ll be able to tell I filled them in :/ any suggestions..?

May 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I think I am convinced to go buy a pair of Tweezerman tweezers…I don’t know why I have avoided it so long! I usually get my brows threaded but I need a new tweezer for the grow time!

May 28, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Hi Cara!
    I’m not necessarily a brunette as I am stark black. My hair is naturally the most dark shade of black, my head and my brows… so what color do I use for my brows? I see you did not give black as an option, so do I just use a really dark brown? Is the current black I use too harsh?
    Also, I noticed people have been using powder more to fill in brows these days. I usually use a (very sharpened) pencil, softly fill them in, then follow up with a brush to blend. Should I switch to powder?

May 28, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I absolutely CANNOT wait to for brow class! I feel like I have a good handle on everything else makeup wise (a large majority taught by you – ahem – HAC) but filling in my naturally super thin brows has always baffled me. I have no idea where to start.

May 28, 2013 at 6:28 pm

You seem to always forget those with black hair…

May 29, 2013 at 7:46 am

I know! 🙁 There are a couple of comments on here about her excluding black hair, mine included. I scrolled through to see if she has replied to any of them, but not yet. I hope she addresses us raven haired individuals too, though!

May 28, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Any advice for those who have light brown hair but dark brown (almost black) brows? I don’t do anything with my brows right now, because I am slightly embarrassed by the contrast from my hair color and don’t want to enhance it. Tips please!

Carlie Strother
    May 28, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I absolutely agree with the importance of good brows! toooo many ladies totally ignore theirs, or need this class!!

May 28, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Oh how i love love love this post!! You’re the best!!!

May 29, 2013 at 12:52 am

I will have to try that mac shadow next time I need a refill. I am a huge believer in benefits brow sets, and I recently saw that benefit actually came out with like a mixable brow pallet too. The brow sets can be kind of an investment but it lasts forever and the colors are pretty complimentary for blondes & brunettes

May 29, 2013 at 8:24 am

Really helpful post! Some really good tips… Thanks 🙂

May 29, 2013 at 8:36 am

Where is the best place to buy this make up at?

May 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

I read this yesterday and then went to my friends house where we did makeovers. She has dark eyebrows and ask for my eye pencil. She actually used my black eyeliner to fill her lashes. Needless to say she had big furry caterpillars! It took her an hour to clean them off, After an hour she gave up and used concealer to fix her mistake! Me, I used the ELF kit and made mine look right!

Jodi Smelser
    May 29, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Love this!!! I’m a mom of a 3 year old and 2 year old..working full time and just turned 30 last month. I am starting to get “me” back and I LOVE your blog, thank you!!

May 30, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I just found your blog today and I love it. I am going to be up all night reading all the older posts I missed. I am so excited! Thank you!

May 30, 2013 at 10:43 pm

How do you fix a problem like one eyebrow having a scar, causing them to look completely different? My right eyebrow, the ends grow upwards instead of to the side. It drives me crazy, but I have no experience in make up or plucking eyebrows or anything. How can I fix this?

June 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Thank you for this! So helpful! I’ve been experimenting with my brows since I recently started reading your blog, and I am shocked at what a huge difference it makes! You know your stuff :). Looking forward to learning more from you!

June 5, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Would you have any advice for someone with very, very blonde brows? Both my hair and brows are naturally very light, so I’ve always been afraid of filling them in because they never seem to look natural! Would omega work for very light blonde, or would an even lighter brown be better?

June 21, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I dye my (blonde) hair a deep auburn red, and I had the hardest time finding something for my brows. (When you have anne-of-green-gables hair and blonde eyebrows, people aren’t sure what’s wrong with you but they’re pretty sure something is!) I then discovered the best thing ever for my brows- a ninety-seven cent LIPLINER pencil from Wet-n-Wild in Brandywine.

It is perfect. Not maroon, not red, not purple. Just a lovely lovely shade of auburn that’s a smidge darker than my hair.

June 29, 2013 at 11:37 am

Hey girls, just wanted to give a quick tip. I looked into buying the MAC eyeshadow suggested above for Blondes, but was too cheap to pay the $15. So I went to CVS and found an eyeshadow by Maybelline called Made for Mocha. I love it. It is a matte color with no shimmer!
    Cara, thank you for this awesome post and your suggestions. If I was loaded I would buy every single product you recommend. 🙂

Favorite Products Video! - Walking in Grace and Beauty
    August 19, 2013 at 5:48 am

[…] you are wanting a good tutorial on eyebrows you can go here. She tells the color of shadow to use if you’re a blonde, redhead, or […]

October 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

PLEASE, PLEASE do a brow video!! I’m a visual learner and would LOVE to watch your technique! My brows need so serious help! BTW…love your blog! I’m a make-up addict myself–love to try new things. I have learned some GREAT tips from you! Thanks and look forward to a brow video! 😉

November 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Got my first compliment on my eyebrows today!!! My coworker said “so I just have to ask…do you fill in your eyebrows or are they naturally that perfect!?” This is such a huge compliment for me because I have always hated my no-shape, sparse eyebrows! I just never knew what to do with them. After reading all your posts on the importance of eyebrows I realized I just had to figure this out. I went out and bought a good brow brush and the MAC Brun eyeshadow. I studied your makeovers and used all of your advice during my experimenting and I seriously feel like a whole new woman!! Not only have my eyebrows changed but my whole makeup routine in general. I love all the new techniques and products I learn about from you!

Feels good to finally feel like I know what I’m doing when it comes to makeup :). Thanks for all you do. I am more than excited for your makeup line as I plan on buying everything!!!

vickie coker
    December 10, 2013 at 9:21 am

Cara: WHAT A BLESSING YOU ARE to the ‘everyday’ woman who feels the constant stampede to look their best is trampling them under foot! I never paid attention to makeup and now, at 54 yrs old, find myself having to learn techniques to deal with crepe paper skin (in look and feel), large pores and sagging skin. To my angst, I spend too much time on this face with very little results. MY QUESTION: you state that the shadow used on the brow should have no shine (and the shadows for blondes, etc are matte) but the Mac Brun is listed by Nordstroms as having a shimmer (the small (s) next to the shadow indicates this) is Brun still your color of choice for Brunettes?. At 54, I’m not sure that shiny eyebrows will enhance this face. PS: Please do some more examples of makeup for older women, after all, EVERYONE will one day be needing this information. HA!

Ali Hussain Samir
    August 16, 2014 at 12:04 am

Hi Cara
    my 12 yr old daughter has one half of her eyebrow growing across and the other half growing straight up from bottom to top course light brown course hair.
    Please help me shes getting teased at school and im angry with these bullies making my girl sad.
    Please Help!!

November 25, 2014 at 10:19 am

I use bareminerals “warmth” on my eyebrows to match(ish) my auburn hair. I love that there are other ginger suggestions here.

December 11, 2014 at 5:34 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH for including redheads. No one ever does! Please keep it up! I always read all of your stuff!

16 Eyebrow Diagrams That Will Explain Everything To You - Shi77y Advice