Hair Hair Tutorials Tips & Tricks Tutorials

Sleep on it

Getting your hair done in your sleep is the best.
Better for your hair and better for your morning time crunch.
I have had the worst stomach flu today so my amazing sister, Rachel (who came up with this technique) was kind enough to demonstrate it for you guys. Here’s how it works:

Frizz free, kink free & heat free beach waves!

A. Spin Pins B. 3 Socks  C. Sea Spray Make your own with THIS recipe

1. Using the sea spray dampen your hair and separate it into three sections. Roll each section away from your face into a bun.
2. Secure the bun by spinning in a spin pin. That way there is no clamp or hair tie to cause kinks.
3. Cover your buns with the sock toes. (this keeps the frizz from attacking) and go to sleep!
When you wake up, pull out the buns and tousle your hair. Spritz some hair spray if you want and you’re done!
How easy is that!?

With love and saltines,

April 12, 2013 at 3:28 am

I do this when I get out of the shower sometimes, minus the socks. Never thought about doing before bed 🙂 Thanx!

April 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Can I just say…I looked at all the Allure bloggers that you are up against, you are by far the best. I love your blog, you are so sweet and funny and have the best advice!

A Modern Commonplace Book
    April 12, 2013 at 4:23 am

I love trying new ideas like this – can’t wait! Thanks!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    April 12, 2013 at 6:34 am

I suck at using spin pins 🙁

April 12, 2013 at 7:11 am

I’m dying to try this, but I can’t help but think this could possibly kill the romance a little. haha. Maybe my poor hubby won’t mind 🙂
    Hope you feel better very soon!

April 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm

hahahahaha TOTAL ROMANCE KILLER! Maybe throw them in after your romantic moments:) Then your hub will never even notice your alien head!

January 6, 2014 at 5:46 am

I have super spiral curly, long hair with a tendency to frizz right up! I “plop” my hair overnight (basically wrapping the curls on top of your head) using an old long sleeve T and tie it up in the back. I cannot describe how ridiculous I look, but my fiancé gets a GOOD LAUGH every time and will poke fun in the mornings. I think the socks are cute compared to the plopping! =)

January 18, 2014 at 2:06 pm

im trying to imgine this but cant …id like to try too. you put the whole tshirt on ur head?

July 5, 2014 at 7:22 am

Put the shirt on your bed with the neck/sleeves closes to you. Put the crown of your head at the top center of the shirt, grab the bottom sides, and then drape the shirt over your hair so the bottom sides are near the back of your head (where your hairline meets your neck). With your head still resting on the bed, cross the sleeves at the back of your head and tie them, and then wrap them to your forehead and tie them again before tucking the ends in on themselves. A quick YouTube video search may make it much easier to understand though.

April 12, 2013 at 7:39 am

Oh great idea!!!!!!

April 12, 2013 at 7:56 am

Feel better! The arrowhead lime sparkling water seems to help me with the stomach flu- and I CAN NOT WAIT for next week when the competition starts….you will rock it!

April 12, 2013 at 6:48 pm

That sounds perfect! I’ll be getting some, Thank you! I’m excited for next week too, fingers crossed!

April 12, 2013 at 8:03 am

So Awesome! I can’t wait to try this. And your sister is such a cutie!

April 12, 2013 at 8:37 am

Hope that you feel better soon! I’m going to try this tomorrow, it looks awesome!

Hope Howland (@HHDesigns)
    April 12, 2013 at 11:54 am

Great tip!! Totally going to try it!!!

April 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Cara, have we mentioned that you ROCK?! 😉 I’ve been needing some advice on how to tame my hair when I don’t have time to blow dry my hair straight. Thank you!! BTW, congrats on the awesome news! Sending lots of good vibes and love your way! Feel better!

April 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Thank you so much! Ahh the hair taming! Hope some of the advice is working, let me know if you not and I’ll dig deeper!

April 12, 2013 at 12:39 pm

love this idea! feel better!

April 12, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Love the tip for vacay!! Any more ideas on how not to look too “made up” on a beach vacation? We are heading to Jamaica next month and I need some tips on looking good at the beach without looking like I tried too hard. Also, if I apply self tanner/spray tan will I sunburn underneath? Thanks!

April 12, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Great Idea! I’ve been working on some no makeup summer ideas so look for those soon, as far as the burn goes YES! You need to lather on some sun screen the self tanner won’t protect you from that! So jealous of your trip to Jamaica!!! Have so much fun!

April 12, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I love this idea! I am growing my hair out and am in need of easy ways to make it look cute with no damage! Does your sister use anything to secure the socks? My hair is just a little past my shoulders, and I don’t think the socks will make it through the night!!! I’m looking forward to your upcoming posts…spring/summer are my favorite seasons! Good luck with your competition!!!

Renee RIster from Australia
    April 12, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Ok i’ve never heard of “Spin Pins” – maybe they haven’t made their way over to Australia yet…. I went ahead and improvised anyway, twisted my hair like you said but tied with hair elastics. I LOVE the result!!.

It’s much better than curling with a wand or straightener, as the curl, body and volume is all the way to the top of the hair. It looks more natural too, loving this and i’m sure my hair will appreciate not using heat to get the curl.

Once again another awesome beauty tip by Cara, keep them coming! also congrats on being a finalist for the Allure Beauty Blogger awards. I think you’ll take it out, love your blog and tips.

April 12, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Mother of two needs help! I can’t sleep enough and you can start to see it. Puffiness, dark circles under eyes and couple wrinkles. I feel so old and I’m just turning 26. Can you recommend any good eye creams? Do you think they really work. I’m really skeptical. Thank you already and congrats on your spot. YOU deserve it!

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      April 14, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I use Clinique’s Repairwear Intensive Eye Cream. I don’t think it matters what you use as long as it doesn’t irritate your skin. I just turned 30 and so far so good on the wrinkle thing (no kids, though)…

April 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Fantastic tip, can’t wait to try this!

April 13, 2013 at 11:26 pm

the foto of you next to # 3 is so so beautiful

April 13, 2013 at 11:29 pm

just to be clear….I really do mean that its a beautiful pic of your sis…not being sarcastic bout socks and all 🙂

April 14, 2013 at 4:36 pm

omg i wish i knew about this when i had long hair!! you’re brilliant!

April 15, 2013 at 7:29 am

Omg I bought two packs of these, woke up this morning and my hair looked amazing! Too bad I work at home and have a sick kiddo at home so it’s up in a pony now 🙁 but this was an amazing tip! So do you only do it with dry hair? And what product so you use before you put them in? Do you only spray that spray after you take them out and just leave it? And I agree, you will win the contest, your blog is the best, I watch your tutorials over and over!!

April 19, 2013 at 1:34 am

I am so excited about this! I have socks on my head right now 🙂 My hubby told me I looked like Princess Leia with an extra horn on my head, LOL. I just found your blog recently and LOVE it, you are so sweet and down to earth. If this works, your sister is genius! I am a long-haired girl too and would do just about anything for pretty curls/waves without using heat!

April 22, 2013 at 6:27 pm

trying this tonight and i totally agree about the socks being a romance killer 😛 i’m using a silk scarf to keep fuzzies away. fingers crossed for a good hair day tomorrow!

April 28, 2013 at 8:43 am

Any extra suggestions for doing this with thick hair? I tried this last night and it wasn’t what I thought it would look like. I think it’s because of my thick frizzy hair that it doesn’t look great. On a funny note, this morning when my daughter walked into my room and saw my hair in socks, she said mommy you look crazy. Lol.

Ashley Grissom
    May 2, 2013 at 8:51 am

I did this last night, and I have gotten so many compliments… and I work with all men! lol, thanks for another great beauty tip!

May 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Can we PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get a video tutorial of this? I so want to try this, but still have so many questions about how it’s done and how it looks when it comes out, what you do with it in the morning, etc. I love the idea of it so much, but it would be awesome to see it in a video! I know you’re swamped and have a million requests because you are the beauty blog QUEEN… but if you get around to it, that would be amazing. 🙂

January 18, 2014 at 2:16 pm

yes yes yes!!!! I have mid neck length thick and wavy hair and need to stop using heat, the heat protection products make my hair yick/ I neeeeeeed this tutorial too!!! The ehat is killing my hair!

May 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I’m trying this right now, but with wet hair…. I’ll update tomorrow to let you know if it worked!

May 22, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Hey Cara just a quick question: (never used the spin pins before) is there a certain technique or placement or do you just spin them vertically into the middle of the bun. I have fine hair that is a little on the slippery side so usually need more than a couple bobby pins. Thanks, love your blog an congrats on the Allure award 🙂

June 27, 2013 at 11:55 am

Can this be done with wet hair or does it need to be dry?

June 27, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Cara have you tried Sleep-in Rollers? I’ve heard they are amazing! 🙂

June 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Apparently I live under a rock, so this might seem dumb. What is sea spray? I looked up your DIY stuff, but I’m confused. Isn’t that really drying/damaging to your hair? Could you just use water?

July 11, 2013 at 6:35 am

I tried the look but my hair looked kind of ratty this morning – half crimped and half waves. So I re-washed my hair and just applied the DIY sea spray and that is seriously the best sea spray I have ever used. I have already received compliments from my work colleagues. It gave my hair really pretty waves. However, I have not given up on doing the spin pin-do. I think it was user error so I am going to keep trying and see if I can get it to work for my hair. Thanks for the sea spray recipe.

January 18, 2014 at 2:09 pm

That IS the most awesome sea spray.. like to use it on the last day (usually day three) before washing my hair again//it seems to cean it/ cut the oiliness…ty Cara…and CHEAP!!!

Katie Miller
    August 6, 2013 at 6:39 am

Ok so I have been trying to grow my hair out for about a year now, after I chopped it into a cute A line. My hair takes FOREVER to grow so I was wondering if you would have any shoulder length hair ideas and tutorials out there? Its so hard for me not to use the curling iron or any heat because I feel like my hair is just at the ugliest length you have ever seen:( HELP

September 13, 2013 at 2:05 pm

So I have medium thick hair that used to be somewhat wavy on its own with plenty of volume, but two years ago i had a keratin treatment, now my volume persists on the top and flattens by mid section. Not only is there too much volume but frizz too. the only thing that helps is to straighten it, but i hate the damage occurring. i’ve tried just leaving it natural but it makes me feel terrible, dry, frizzy. Can you recommend any products to either make it curl without volume or straighten or shine without frizz. ?

November 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Hmm…maybe I’ll try this when I get out of the shower. I just don’t like how it looks when I sleep on my hair.

November 30, 2013 at 9:14 am

You could also use a silk scarf, bandana or turban to wrap your head with instead of the socks. It’s slightly cuter 🙂

frizzy hair
    June 30, 2014 at 1:19 pm

This tip sounds amazing and your hair looks so nice! I usually leave my hair in a plait overnight when I wash it and when I first untie it once it’s dry it looks great. The only problem is, my hair is so thick and frizzy that by about lunch time I have horribly frizzy hair!!! 🙁 I have no idea what to do to stop this from happening, does anything have any good tips?

July 15, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I have to wash my hair daily. Could I wash my hair at night and do this with it damp? I have fine medium length hair too, so I’m afraid the sea salt will make it sticky? Would mousse work instead? I’m trying to use less heat because of hair damage but my hair doesn’t do well with just drying on its own. Thanks! Love ya!

No-Heat Ways to Curl Your Hair – Hair Tips – ALL YOU | Deals, coupons, savings, sweepstakes and more…
    September 11, 2015 at 12:46 pm